Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The lights on the Elantra have been mentioned in some reviews as having good range, especially for halogen units.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I sometimes get flashed in my 2001 GLS. I flash back so that they know what my brights REALLY look like.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    Is it really worth getting the GT over the GLS?

The '05 5-Door GLS has the same suspension as the GT. Essentially you get the same car as the GT for $1k less. I'm going to purchase the ABS/Cruise option anyways (also comes with upgraded stereo).
    Whether the GT is worth it depends on if you like the extras on the GT. If you add up the price for the extras separately, it would come to less than the $1300 premium for the GT. But if you don't want/need these extras, get the GLS. GT extras are:

* Alloy wheels
    * Fog lamps
    * Rear decklid spoiler
    * Blackout grille
    * 6-speaker CD stereo
    * Cruise control
    * "GT" floor mats
    * Leather seating surfaces, steering wheel cover, shifter cover
    * Sport gauges
    * Trip computer
    My boring little 1000 mile report: Betsy just rolled 51K relatively uneventful miles. This car suits me very well and the only thing I would want improved is off-the-line grip on wet pavement. Me thinks a burned out clutch isn't in the budget. Betsy is a 2001 GLS 5-speed, all waxed and ready for winter (two big snows already).
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Two options that most of the GLS hatches have are cruise and the CD radio. When you factor those in, the GT is about a $700 diff. Money very well spent for all the other features.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    >> the GT is about a $700 diff.

Some people would think the $700 diff is worth not having the leather interior (not me, I love it!).
  • derekgdwderekgdw Member Posts: 51
    Speaking of leather interiors how does Hyundai's leather hold up over time? Anyone have problems with cracking leather in the GTs? We've had Fords and Mazdas in the late 80s early 90s with horrible leather that did that within a few years.

Either way I'd pay the $700 too. Most car companies charge an additional $1000 for a leather interior alone (or at least they used to)

I'm not much of a leather lover but the other features would be worth it to me. Plus other people see a leather interior and tend to ooohhh and aahhhhh ;-)
    One thing about the GT's leather is that Hyundai changed it for '04 to have perforated inserts. So it will be awhile before we get durability reports. But FWIW, my '04 GT, purchased in March, was a show car at the Greater Minneapolis Auto Show. That means literally thousands of people sat in the seats, especially the driver's seat. That, plus eight months of hard use by a family of five, and the leather still looks brand-new. I do clean and condition it occasionally with Mequiar's leather cleaner.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    My friend purchased a 2004 GT in June, and now has about 27,000 miles on it. Leather on the driver's seat shows no signs of having been sat on essentially. There is a little annoying squeak under it from time to time, but he has not yet gotten out the silicone spray I have recommended to tackle it.
    And a question... are there in fact heated outside mirrors on these things? Literature everywhere says so, but I see no indication on the mirror. There are no controls inside. If they are heated, do the elements function when the rear window defroster is on?
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    Yes, the mirrors heat up when you use the defroster. It works really well and clears them right up on my car.
    Our GT leather seats look the same as the day we bought it too. No defects. Seven months old.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I hate it when the wife is right. Do to a shoulder injury that just won't heal, I have to get rid of my trusty Chigger (red '02 w/ 5spd). Good news is I am picking out an '05 with an auto, although I REALLY enjoy the shifting! But at 300+ shifts a day in two 45 minute commutes, the bone doc says this ain't gonna happen.

Wifey is a nurse and has been saying for the last six months that the constant shifting in stop and go was aggrevating the situation.

Now to the question. Any of y'all had leaking problems with factory sunroofs? My contact at the dealer says the only problem they have seen was plugged drains from parking under trees.

What say you?
    Sorry about Chigger, but at least you get a brand-new one! Which model are you going to get?

No leaks yet from the sunroof of my '04 GT, and that includes one trip through a high-pressure car wash plus some very heavy thunderstorms this summer.
    It will be a GT. I have narrowed the field to either an Electric Red Hatch w/o sunroof, a Rally Red sedan w/o sunroof, or a gorgeous Tidal Wave hatch w/ sunroof. That blue is really pretty.
    No leaks here. It's been seven months since we bought the car.
  • kev02gtkev02gt Member Posts: 12
    '02 Elantra GT 5 sp.- No leaks at all in 2 years and 55K miles.
    I don't care about leather. All I really want is ABS/Traction Control and I can't get that without cruise/better radio.

Is Traction Control any good? Subaru Impreza is in my high-end range. How does TC compare with AWD?

I might as well go with the GLS 5-Door to get the Sport Suspension at no extra cost.
    Traction control ain't AWD. It helps you get out of some slippery situations but can't match the all-weather go power of an AWD car like the Impreza. If you think you need AWD, spend a few more bucks and get the Subaru--or an AWD Hyundai like the Elantra-based Tuscon. Right now Subaru has a great lease deal on the Impreza sedan, $189/month with 0 down.

The GLS 5-door does cost $300 more than the GLS sedan, so the sport suspension isn't free but it's well worth the money IMO.
    the Tidal Wave Blue hatch back GT with the sunroof. Here in Texas we get $1250 rebate plus $1500 owner loyalty. Local CU went 3.95% which was better than anything the dealer could do. Taking the rebate and 3.95% instead of the no rebate, 0% saved $200. Not much, but something to consider. The only option on the GT is the sunroof.

She sure is pretty. Was raining tonight at delivery, so the dealer will detail the car later in the week whenever I bring it in.
    Wow, $2750 off such a great car. Congratulations, and good luck with healing your shoulder.
    Congratulations! Just wondering, did you get any off the MSRP before the rebates? I am wondering how they are dealing on the new '05s...

P.S. Can you confirm for us, does the '05 have the Hyundai CD stereo or the Kenwood-sourced MP3 player like the '04s had?
    What Backy said . . . AWD will kick TCS's butt in the bad stuff.

I have an AWD Impreza and it's GREAT in snow . . . Provided you have good tires. If they're still selling Imprezas with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s plan to replace them in 10-12k miles if traction is important to you. That was my experience plus many others in the Tirerack reviews, for a car that's otherwise great in the white stuff Subaru dropped the ball on the tires. I have Yokohama AS430s on it now which work great.

All I can say against AWD is I can really see how someone would get overconfident. Remember, it helps you go it doesn't help you stop. When people I know have been driving across a state or two during a blizzard (just happened to work out that way) all they'd see in ditches were SUVs and other cars that are supposed to be great in that kind of stuff. Once during a bad snow storm I saw a Durango on it's side with a bunch of guys outside of it looking rather despondent. I just wanted to stop my car, get out and say "You were showing off four wheel drive for your buddies weren't you?"

Depending on how much snow you get and how well it's plowed you may be just as well to get an Elantra and stick snow tires on it. Maybe an Elantra with snow tires would be overkill even. Or maybe you get so much snow you would be best served by an Impreza or some other such AWD vehicle equipped with snow tires for the season.

If AWD is important to you and you don't want an SUV I *THINK* the Suzuki Aerio with AWD is cheaper than an Impreza and would be worth checking out. I had a FWD one as a rental and didn't think it was a bad car at all aside from the suspension being a bit floaty for my tastes.
    I will check, but I seem to remember reading it as an MP3. Haven't had time to check all the features out, yet.

Basically, the deal was about $200 over invoice before rebates, but understand this was the 16th vehicle I have purchased from this auto group, so they are making up in volume what they miss in single sales!

Jim
    The radio/cd is a Hyundai unit. I spoke with one of the service guys and he said Hyundai was dropping the unit as they had a lot of problems with it. In their dealership alone he had seen maybe a half dozen that were just flat bad and had to be changed out. He said it was a Kenwood unit that Hyundai had used, and decided against using it in the '05 model.

Jim
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Backy and others,

Im considering purchasing a 2005 Elantra GLS
    in Moonlight Blue, with CD player, spoiler and
    carpeted floor mats.
    First, im wondering how the quality of paint is
    on this vechile, particularly this dark blue color?
    Do you feel the build quality of this vechile
    can get me to 200k with major drivetrain issues?
    This is assuming well cared for and all scheduled
    maintenance done.

My present car is a 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE with
    54000 miles which runs absolutely flawlessly. It
    just has the feel like it can easy go to 200K.

So im wondering if I can get your thoughts and
    advice on this.
    backy or others,

Does anyone know is the dreaded airbag light
    problem has been fixed for the 05' GLS ??
    On the paint, I've found that the champagne color at least seems to hold up well. But the Rally Red on my '04 seems to be much more suceptible to fine scratches--or maybe it's just that they stand out more on a dark, non-metallic color. I don't have any experience with dark blue, on ANY car. But IMO if you maintain the finish with regular gentle washing (not with brushes) and waxing, and don't let bird poop and sap sit on it, it will be fine.

As for drivetrain, do you drive long distances? If so, I think the car will hold up for 200k, but there's no guarantees. I read that the design point of the current Beta engine is for about 150k without a major engine problem. But some will do much better, some will do worse. Highway cruising is much easier on a car than the short trips that I take. The key, as you said, is regular maintenance.

On the airbag light thing, I don't have any new info on that. What I recommend you do is take your whole family with you on the test drive and check out everyone who will sit in the front seat of the car you will buy. (Remember that pre-teens should NEFVER sit in the front seat.) It hasn't been a problem on my '04 GT.
    My son is 5'8, 110lbs (no skinny jokes, please) and he does not turn on the airbag.

Now, back in the day, we didn't even have shoulder harnesses, and seat belts were retrofitted into some cars. That being said, I had a drivers ed teacher give me a very valuable piece of advice. Don't run into anything. If you have to hit something, pick something going in the same direction you are. If you can't do that, pick something soft. Then hard. But anything is better than something coming at you!

He went on to explain the whole concept of "driving beyond the hood ornament".

Based on my observation of several young drivers coming out of commercial driving schools, the young man mentioned above will be getting (and already is) his drivers training from me.
  • duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    My 2005 Elantra GLS has the Moonlight Blue paint, and after a month of owning this car it still looks new. I chose this paint because it is dark and eliminates scratches. I first liked the champagne, but decided against the extremely light interior that did not seem durable. It already has 2000 miles on it, and there are no scratches or flaws anywhere, and I drive to the city and back everyday. Good luck with your new Elantra purchase!
    By the time you add AWD and ABS to the Suzuki Aerio it costs $18k, the same price as an Impreza.

But there's a $3k difference between the Impreza and Elantra. For my regular driving it's probably not worth it. It would be nice to have AWD here in the Boston area, but I can live without it.

I liked the Toyota Matrix alot, but with AWD it also costs ~$18k, and the engine is very underpowered. Only 120hp. Gah! For $18k they need to put a better engine in there.
    That much? Unless you qualify for a good deal of rebates and incentives or can bargain down the dealer on the Aerio quite a bit yeah I'd go for the Subaru between those two if the price difference is nominal. . .

I actually see quite a few AWD Toyota Matrixes around here so I wonder if it's really as bad as it seems for power. Did you test drive an AWD model? What'd you think?

The price difference between the Elantra and Impreza probably even bigger since Hyundai usually has some manufacturer rebate going on plus the fact that the dealers are more apt to bargain down on one.

I helped a coworker get an Elantra GLS sedan with automatic (no other options but they come with a lot to begin with) for $11,600 last year around March. This was with a really good manufacturer's rebate and dealership discount. VERY good deal considering a comparable Civic would go for what 15 or so? However, I left wondering if I should've bargained down further.

Word of advice when purchasing. Know what the current manufacturer's rebate is. The first figure they gave us "The best offer they could do" was the sticker price less the manufacturer's rebate. (this is after being away for 15 minutes)

Me - "Interesting that's the best you can do considering you're charging her sticker for the car"
    Salesdude - "No we dropped down the price quite a bit!"
    Me - "No Hyundai dropped the price down quite a bit, this dealership did nothing. Go and get a real price"
    Salesdude - "Ok fine how much discount do you want?"
    Me - *pulling figure out of my nether regions because I wasn't as prepared as I should've been* "$1,500"

He came back meeting my request (again after being away for 15 minutes) I should've asked for $2,000 but I still think it was a good deal.

I wonder how many people went to that dealership and bought an Elantra with the manufacturer's rebate alone. Still a very good price don't get me wrong but still. Lots of money anyone could apply elsewhere.
    Hello. I am wondering whether I shoudl buy the extended warranty for my '05 Elantra. If anyone bought this warranty, how much was it, and do you recommend it? Thanks.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    These make no sense with most cars IMHO. Even less with Hyundai's base warranty. The dealer gets to keep more than half the money. Playing the slots gets you 95% back on the dollar and makes much more sense if you're a gambler.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    That depends on whether you plan on keeping the car for 10 years or not. Most people say that you don't need it, but if you consider the cost of an air conditioning compressor, ecu, power window motor etc... it turns out to be quite inexpensive for the coverage that you receive.

I would say get it and be happy if you use it or not. I have plenty of life insurance that I pay for every month, but I'm not unhappy that I haven't used it.

Also keep in mind that you can transfer that warranty to a second owner. I think that would make your car an easy sell in a few years if you do want to get rid of it.
    Another idea is to take the money you'd spend on an extended warranty ($900?) and put it into an investment for ten years. You can quite possibly double your money in that time. With Hyundai's powertrain warranty covering repairs there (most importantly the automatic transmission), what are the odds your covered repair costs will be $1500-2000 between 60-100k miles, or from years 6-10 whichever comes first?

Another benefit of the extended warranty is that it is transferrable, so it can increase resale value if you sell before it's up.
    Thanks for your replies. I usually keep my cars 10+ years, so it looks like the warranty would be beneficial. I would like to have it just in case anything goes wrong, and it's covered. Also, I definitly could sell it easily with that warranty. Thanks again.
    I already included the incentive in the 5-Door GLS price. Automatic and the ABS/TC package it brings it up to ~$15k. Of course I'd try to get that price "out the door". No tax, delivery charge, etc.

The Matrix has an engine about the same size as the Elantra. Massachusetts gets the smaller, less polluting egine, then adding auto and AWD it brings it down to ~120hp. AWD really kills the HP.

They do offer The Matrix in 160hp manual FWD version, but I have a bad back and need auto. A 160hp Matrix w/AWD would be perfect.
    The 165 hp Impreza hatchback costs about the same (with rebates/discounts) as the Matrix AWD or the high-zoot XRS, FWIW.
    What is everyone's exeperince with the current

GLS sedan's alignment tightness and its ability

to track total straight?

Im just wondering about the quality of the front

end suspension.

Also, when rotating tires on the GLS, is the

car still riding totally smooth?
    Just make sure that it's a Hyundai warranty and NOT a third party . . .

Anyway that's what I'd do I think. I've had sensors and various other things blow on my car (not a Hyundai) that actually did affect it's driveability and ability to run after the Bumper to Bumper warranty went out but I still had powertrain warranty left. These parts were only covered by the bumper to bumper warranty not the powertrain warranty.
    I've easily spent over $900 in unexpected repairs.

Think about it, if you keep the car for 10 years that's 10 years you don't have to worry about any unexpected drain on your wallet.

So again, IMO you made a good choice.
    Well, On Monday I picked up my brand new 2005

Elantra GLS Automatic. Its moonlight blue, with

PKG 3, cd player and cruise control, floor mats

and mud guards.

I purchased from Colonial Hyundai in Trenton, NJ

and I paid 14,000.00 out the door. I traded in my

beloved 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE which had 54,000

flawless miles on it and runs butter smooth, as

all maintenance was done and I used Castrol GTX

5W-30 with 4000 mile drain intervals.

The reason I wanted a change was because the Sentra had a very crude suspension setup. Its

got that rear beam in the rear, so the car tend

to hop hard over bumps and the ride is very stiff and uncomfortable. But the car has a great engine

and transmission for sure.

So, now I have 140 miles on my new Elantra and I

have a few questions for you all.....

1. Have anyone else feel that the brake pedal on

the Elantra sinks very low when applied? Its

a very different feel from my Sentra. I had the

mechanic check it out and he says its totally

normal and thats how the Elantra's brakes are>

Thoughts???

2. When have you done your first oil change and

what is the best brand to use in the Elantras?

I told my mechanic I brought an Elantra and he

said I made a mistake. He says they are basically

disposable cars and he has had many Elantra in his

shop for blown head gaskets...Is there a problem

with head gaskets on the Elantras??
    I have heard of NO ONE having a blown head gasket, the brakes firm up after they wear in a bit (not exclusive to Elantra) and the brakes are very good. Some folks have warped the rotors on Elantras, myself included, but the repair is very inexpensive as there is a lot of steel in the rotor. This allows it to be turned, or they can be replaced for less than $20 each.

I put 42K on my '02 using Castrol GTX 10W30. The only reason I got out of it was to go to an '05 with an automatic due to a shoulder injury that was aggrevated by the '02 5spd. There are a lot of owners on this board with many, many more miles on their cars than I had. All I did on mine was one minor warranty item when new, then changed the oil and filters.

Jim
    jlflennons,

When you say wraped rotors, has that been a

common problem with Elantra where is just happens,

or does it all depend on your driving habits?

Do they get wraped due to hard heavy braking,

or will this happen now matter how easy and soft

one is with braking?

Im a very soft conservative driver when it comes

to braking. I have a 10 mile commute to work in

the burbs of central nj. Im wondering the quality

of the 05 Elantra's rotors...
    Its very disappointing to know that the Elantras

still using timing belts and need to be replaced

at 60K at a cost of roughly $600.00.

My 2001 Sentra has a internal timing chain that

is maintenance free.

So I really dont know why folks here say stuff

like, "I have 80K on my 1999 Elantra and I have

never put a penny into it except for brakes and

oil changes. That, obviously, cant not be true,

right?
    First, a bit of advice: stop second-guessing yourself. You bought the Elantra. Try to enjoy it.

If you didn't check on whether the Elantra uses a timing belt (as on many other cars) vs. a chain before you bought it, well, it's a little late to complain about it now.

Maybe the people who claim 80k miles without putting a penny into it are telling the truth. Just because a timing belt replacement is recommended at 60k doesn't mean it won't last longer. But if it should break...

Re rotors, I am easy on brakes also and have had no rotor problems with either Elantra I own ('01 GLS, '04 GT). I like the feel of the Elantra's brakes, both non-ABS (GLS) and with ABS (GT). In fact, the brakes have such a nice, progressive action that I have yet to engage the ABS in the GT after nine months of ownership.
    One of the best items in my '01 Elantra is the brakes. Always smooth and even, including in the winter, and without ABS. I have 51K miles and they have not been replaced.

As for shimmy, I think some folks on these threads have had mechanics who are overzealous with the power wrench, when replacing the wheels after rotation. The extra torque can cause warping.

I think that overall you will enjoy your Elantra, as I do. This car is comfortable, quiet and zippy, and on the rare occasion when I am not a leadfoot, it is not bad on gas. So far, three years of very good service.
    Coming down from 70+MPH hard on an exit ramp and hitting a large puddle of cold water. And I challenge anyone to show me a stock rotor that won't warp under those conditions. The Elantra has got rotors much heavier than many cars its size, and they are very easy to modulate.

Timing belts are very common on 4cyl as they typically run quieter than chains. I have had chain and gear failure in as few as 20K miles, so just having a chain is not a guarantee of longevity. They do require replacement along with the cam and crank gears. On a good design, a timing chain can last 100K miles. On a bad design, half that.

You have bought a fine little auto that with decent care and maintenance should give you many years and miles of service. And one of the best rides on the road for a vehicle this size. Enjoy it.
  • john_wjohn_w Member Posts: 72
    I saw some posts on this board about moonroofs in early December. I think one person responded that they hadn't had a problem yet with their '04.

I'm glad to hear that, but one person reporting that they haven't had a problem with water leaking in with a car that's only a year old is not a resounding testimony.

Does anyone else here have experience with a moonroof on a Hyundai?

I like moonroofs, but have never had a car with one.

Thanks,

John
    Go back and take a look--SEVERAL people reported they've had no problems with leaks from their moonroofs. But moonroofs can leak, and not just on an Elantra. If you don't want any possibility of a leak from a large hole in the roof of your car, don't get a moonroof.