Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    Grey (and beige) leather tend to get dirty faster and show more of the wear... I've seen pictures of some old Accords with black leather that has been kept conditioned and they look pretty good. Long term I think your best bet is to go with the black leather. And yes the SE doesn't have lumbar for the seat, so the EX has more adjustments. Its really very nice to have an EX interior, I test drove one. I think the leather is even somewhat better than the perforated stuff in some Acuras like the TSX that tend to look nice but don't last as long. The test car I drove had black leather (silver exterior).

But I do agree the graphite exterior is a nice color.

The grey cloth (just in case you get it) is pretty ok too but I have no idea how it will hold up in the long run. It seems a bit loosely fitted in spots... like it could be pulled tighter for a better fit.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I like the graphite exterior also. If I had to get the silver exterior, to get the black leather, it would be a tough choice. Silver is not my favorite color by any stretch. Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have a simple answer.

Drive the I-4 first. If you find that the power is good, and the engine quiet (which I did, even AFTER having driven a V6 in the past), get the I4. You should take it on the highway and then punch it to see if it meets your needs. No doubt, both engines have more than enough power below 50 MPH, but it is above that speed when you punch it where a difference really shows (although, I've been over 100 MPH once in my I4 EX with plenty of room to go faster - was booking it to get to the hospital).

The fact that the 4-cylinder is LIMITED to 130 MPH tells me there is still plenty of engine to go around on the highway.

As far as smooth and quiet goes, I can tell you that my Accord is much quieter and smoother than my father's 2007 Civic, and the 4-cylinder seemed smoother than the last Ford V6 I drove - smooth all the way to redline, and quiet at cruising speed.

My average of 29 MPG in mixed suburban/hwy driving and regularly getting upper 30s (with a few 40 MPG runs mixed in) on trips tells me I made the right choice with the 4-cylinder.

I have a cloth interior EX Automatic. I love it!

Go test drive a 4-cylinder and see how you feel afterwards.

• Options
    mcpeppermcpepper Member Posts: 6
    We just bought an EX-L/V6. The primary reason was our requirement for traction control / stability control which is only available on the V6.

After test driving both vehicles we also wanted the somewhat quieter V6 as well as the extra power of the V6.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will be pleased with either choice.
  • Options
    choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Actually, the bun warmers are butt and back on the driver side and butt only on the passenger side. At least that is the case with the 2005 EX L.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    A black interior is available with all the silver exterior models , BUT is only available with one other exterior color. And that is the Nighthawk Black AND only in the EX-L model.
  • Options
    exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    It's the same with the 2006 EXL as well. The manual says it has something to do with the airbag weight sensor. My wife was really disappointed when she discovered this. We had never heard of something like this so we didn't ever think to ask. Every other car we've know with seat warmers are both butt & back. We specifically moved up to EXL because of the seat warmers. Leather is nice, but not a big deal for us.
  • Options
    redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your EX-L? Just wondering. thanks. I really like the SE V6 but all of the dealers are sold out it seems
  • Options
    For some reason I seem to like the old style of the accord, maybe models 2005 or before versus the new 2007 back style. I think it has more to do with the style of the back. Does anyone else feel this way?
  • Options
    I have an 03 EX V6 Sedan, and I love it. You may be able to find a low mileage certified pre-owned one for a good price. I like the clear strip of tail light on the 03 model. Style is very subjective though. Some people say they hate the old tail lights.
  • Options
    Yeah, I seem to like the old tail lights. I found one that is an 05 V6 w/30,000 miles on it that is an EX. Asking price is 21,499. Think that is good? I may be able to get a little lower.
  • Options
    I for one like the distinctive LEDs on the 2006-07 Accords (a feature not seen on the likes of Camry, Altima, Malibu, Fusion, etc...).

The 2003-05 taillights are a little droopy or something to me; not bad, just not great.
  • Options
    Go to kbb.com (kelly bluebook) and check the value on it. Sounds a little high, but they will probably negotiate some. Good luck in your quest. :D
  • Options
    okay thanks. this car is certified used also.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this is available on the new 2007 4 cylinder accords? Seems like this is a necessary thing and older 4 cylinder accords do not have this.
  • Options
    I think it is only available on the V6 models. The chances of stability control being needed, IMO, are slim. ABS is much more important, and most often used safety feature. I know you want all the safety features you can get, but that's life.
  • Options
    $24,600 - EX-L V6 auto w/o navi. bronze pearl / tan interior.
  • Options
    Electronic stability and traction control currently are available only on the V6 Accords. I do not know if that will change on the redesigned 08 model due out in a couple of months.
  • Options
    I personally believe VSA is a necessary safety feature and was willing to pay the small premium to obtain it. I live in an area prone to snow and ice storms and stability control was a priority on the new car requirements list.

The recent Insurance Institute's crash test methodology and related test results are a pretty good indication that stability control will become more common in the near future. It is now standard on many suv's as it is a critical component in avoiding rollovers.
  • Options
    choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Is the 2008 model really coming out in just a couple of months? I haven't really seen any spy photos of the sedan, and I thought the coupe concept was just released last week. I thought we were a ways away from the actual launch of the 2008 Accord.
  • Options
    You will probably not see 08 Accords on dealer lots until September. Maybe a little sooner, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    The recent Insurance Institute's crash test methodology and related test results are a pretty good indication that stability control will become more common in the near future.

Stability control will, no doubt, be standard equipment in the near future. But, for now, you have to go all out for the "top of the line model" to get it. In 03, I had to go with the "top of the line" model to get side curtain airbags, and traction control. Every year they add something new, to entice buyers to the new model. I wonder what will be the next important safety feature. What will they think up next?
  • Options
    My impression from talking to sales people at 3 different dealers is that Honda is switching production over to the new Accord and the current inventory of the 07's is not being replenished. Perhaps someone who works for a dealer, or who has more specific info, could add some insight.

Some photos and related links are at this site:
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C8105/
  • Options
    dorccadorcca Member Posts: 23
    Thank you for answering my question, elroy5. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    andysdandysd Member Posts: 87
    A couple of days ago, I drove one after the other an '07 EX-L auto 4-cylinder Accord followed by the same as a V6, (and then to top it off a Civic Si sedan). I didn't see much difference between the driving experience of the 4-cylinder and the 6-cylinder Accords. I liked the power driver's seat in the V6, but was disappointed that the power passenger's seat in the V6 is only forward-back, no up/down or seat tilt control. (Now I don't recall whether the driver's seat has tilt control.) In both Accords, I believe the height of the passenger seat would be too high for my wife (who is 5-6 but prefers a low car seat). I'm a couple of inches taller, and it seemed to cut into the back of my knees. So I'll wait and check out the '08 Accord.

We also have a Civic, an '04 Ex auto, and like it very much. Noise has a lot to do with tires. The orginal Bridgestone Potenza RE92 195-60/15 is an excellent tire; I checked it out on Tirerack, and it is quiet. I made the mistake of buying some new 17" Kosei Racing wheels and Kumho 215-45 ECSTA SPT tires which are much noisier and less comfortable. In fact, I recently put the original wheels and tires back on the car and am trying to figure out what to do with the aftermarket wheels and tires which cost a bundle, maybe advertise them in the Trader.

This forum is about Accords, I know, but if my wife would live with a manual transmission, I'd trade our Civic for the Si Sedan tomorrow. I liked it so much. Red!
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    probably adaptive cruise control, active heard restraints, self tinting side windows(think transitions glasses)/ Actually i like the third one. If they do make this, they'll have the little strip at the top of the windshield done too... Most likely we'll see signal mirrors on more models than the hybrid.

for the record, the best accord IMO is 2004and 2006+.

The 2003 accord ex models don't have dual climate control and it was something else that i'm not remembering right off... Was it voice activated controls or bluetooth or something?

And the 2004accord still has the amber strip. I HATE HOW AUTOMAKERS ARE TRYING TO RID THE WORLD OF THE AMBER !LIGHT!!

I give props to toyota for keeping it and nissan for bring it back!

-Cj
  • Options
    The 2003 accord ex models don't have dual climate control

My 03 Accord does have dual climate control. You just have to go with the higher line model. What is this amber strip you are so upset about, and what does it do?
  • Options
    The 2003 accord ex models don't have dual climate control and it was something else that i'm not remembering right off... Was it voice activated controls or bluetooth or something?

As elroy5 said, all leather equipped Accords with the 2003-current models have Dual Climate Control.

I think you are trying to remember XM radio, which wasn't offered until the 2004 model-year.
  • Options
    Thank you another_person.

elroy5's and your answer: "throw more light closer to the front of the vehicle" is exactly what I want from
    the fog lights.

Thank you both again.
  • Options
    Ebay is selling a pair of non-OEM 07 accord V6 frog lights for $80 while hondacare is selling for $240.

Does anyone know whether the Ebay frog light set has any problem? For example, has all the parts and fits onto
    the intake holes where they are suppose to be installed.

Thanks.
  • Options
    A month ago, I was looking to buy a V4 with stability control but couldn't find one so I bought a SEV6 instead.

On a snowing day last year, entering a slightly curved road, by reflex, I breaked to slow down the minivan. I lost control and the van spun 180 deg. The van moved forward but with rear end first. Luckily, I missed an incoming car
    and eventually stopped by a curb infront of a house. If
    the house has no curb, I would have smashed into the living
    or bed room. I had the whole family in the van. All may have been killed or suffered serious injuries. If the van
    had VSC, the van would not have spuned around.

The cost difference between a V4 and the SE-V6 is about
    $1,500. Also V4 has about 5-6 mile more per gallon.
    So over the liftime of the car, VSC will cost you several
    thousand dollars. Without the VSC, I would have bought
    a V4. Just like buying insurance, it is a bet -- what
    happened to me, will it happen to you? For me, will the
    accord spin out of control the second time? My bet, spend
    several thousand more and get the VSC.
  • Options
    A couple of questions...

What type of van was this (year/model?)

Did it not have ABS? If you had ABS, I can't figure out how you lost control if you weren't going too fast...
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I agree that VSC or stabiltiy control is an important safety addition. A slight correction--there is no V4. The engine is an inline or straight 4 cylinder, thus it is called just a four or an I4. Also it is braked not breaked.
  • Options
    Can someone explain the differences between VSC and ABS? Thanks! Seems that a 4 cylinder would only have ABS on the accords?
  • Options
    ABS prevents your brakes from locking up the tires during hard braking... basically when tires lock up, the car will be skidding forward if its still in motion while the wheels stop turning.

VSA/VSC is an enhancement that takes into account cornering forces (via yaw sensors) and can in turn brake individual wheels to stabilize the vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_control

Both NHTSA and IIHS studies points out that VSA/VSC is invaluable in certain situations. Regardless of speed, if you hit a patch of ice or slick enough stuff, the car will do things you don't want it doing. At times like that VSA/VSC can brake the wheels seperately and attempt to stabilize the car (so it can keep moving in the intended direction instead of skidding).

I've seen VSA activate when you hit a road imperfection like a jarring bump that lifts a tire off the ground more than another tire... the rotational speed of one tire then becomes faster than the other tire. Its important to remember that this is still an "assist" and not even VSA can save you if you choose to totally try and defy the law of physics.
  • Options
    Thanks! Do you know if the new accords that are 4 cylinder (2007 model) has this VSA? Wouldnt this be standard in most cars. Do most 4 cylinder cars like Altima, Camry, not have this?
  • Options
    sunguysunguy Member Posts: 2
    I would agree. I have a '03 EX-V6 accord with 48K miles. They have had to replace the transmission, radio system, door & trunk seals, carpet brackets and the indicator lights on the heated seat buttons no longer work. This was my first and last Honda. I ready to get rid of it before something else goes wrong.
  • Options
    sunguysunguy Member Posts: 2
    I have an Accord '03 EX-V6 with 48k miles. I have had to have the transmission replaced (although the dealership said there was nothing wrong when it was recalled). I am concerned the same thing will happen with this transmission as the last. Should I get rid of the car or take the chance?

The dealer has also had to repalce the radio, window & trunk seals (twice), and carpet brackets. The indictor lights for the heated seat buttons have stopped working now. Is it just bad luck?
  • Options
    1st year of a new model seems to have all the crappy bugs. The 2006 Civics aren't looking very hot either from the problems people are reporting.

When was the transmission replaced? From what I've read the transmissions did get changed with extra fluid jets for 2nd gear. The new transmission might last just fine.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Stability control is not going to be able to save your car from a scenario that's outside the laws of physics for keeping the wheels gripping on the pavement. I.E., if you're going 65 into a curve marked for 30, it's going to be keeping your car from skewing too much relative to the direction it's going and that direction is going to a curve with a much greater radius that the road you would like to follow. Stability control assist is only like ABS.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Thanks! Do you know if the new accords that are 4 cylinder (2007 model) has this VSA? Wouldnt this be standard in most cars. Do most 4 cylinder cars like Altima, Camry, not have this?

No, this is not standard on most of its competitors. Vehicles like the Ford Fusion do not even offer it, and the Nissan Altima doesn't even have ABS standard, much less VSA. VSA is also optional on the Camry.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    VSA is an important safety feature - I have it on my minivan. As stated above it will not always be able to help.

In snow and ice the differential braking does not do much good if the wheel being braked has little or no traction. I have experimented and in icy conditions the VSA provides very little help around corners - there is just no traction.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It is my not so humble opinion that nobody "needs" a V-6. The four is quick and agile and the car is almost as fast as one with the V-6.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with you there.

The difference in the 4-cylinder and V6 isn't "slow vs. quick." It's more like "quick vs. quicker."
  • Options
    Its like this between the I4 and V6 - "its not how fast you go, its how you go fast".
  • Options
    The van was 95 Quest. It had ABS. I was driving at regular
    speed i.e. a bit too fast for a snow covered road. I suspect
    QUEST's tires did not handle snow well. I do think that if
    the van had VSC, the spin-around would not have happened.
    Any way, I am just guessing.

I then shopped for a Camry. With the near "lost the whole
    family" experience, I was concious of safety feature and was willing to pay $6-$7K more for VSC.
    I could get an Camry without VSC for about ~$20K.

I tried very hard to get a cheaper Camry with VSC. However, VSC, an option costing ~$650, is only available in the V6 and the highest trim with MSRP ~$30K. The best price I could get is ~$100 above invoice. I almost bought the Camry but what saved me was the late hour because it was beyond 9PM. For the accord SEV6, I paid ~$1K below invoice. So the difference between Camry and Accord is huge (about $7K). I do like the SE's drive and handling much better than the Camry.
  • Options
    I don't know what you are agreeing with. My 03 EX V6 Accord has had no problems with the transmission, radio, door or trunk seals, or carpet brackets, or indicator buttons. What mileage was on the car, when they did the recall? Did you have to pay for any of this work? This is my second Accord, and my next car will probably be an Accord also (I fully expect this one to last another 10 years, at least). Sorry for your bad luck, but I have had none of these problems. People are always saying the first year of a model is prone to problems. I don't see it this way. There is no difference between the 03 Accord and the 04, 05, and very little difference between the 03 and 06, 07 models. Actually, some people who own 07 Accords have more problems than I do with the 03. I guess you just have to pick the right car, or wrong car, as in your case.
  • Options
    It is my not so humble opinion that nobody "needs" a V-6.

I would agree that nobody needs a V6. However, some people (myself included) want the extra smoothness, and extra power for merging, and passing. When you are going 50mph on the highway, and want to pass a car, you want to do it as quickly as possible (at least, I do). The extra power, at speed, you get from the V6 is substantial (especially if the car is loaded with people and cargo).
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You have to remember forums such as this one always attract the people with problems and these people can be quite vocal.

The vast majority of people will not experience these problems.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I think all you are "qualified" to say is that you don't need a v6. Don't presume to tell me what I need. Thanks.