Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    By far, four cylinders outsell the V6's.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You can bring it in because I won't be the guy working on it.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I just went through replacing these on my Mazda.

They sit between the rocker arm and the top of the valve stem. They are small inserts that act sort of as a spring to keep tension between the arm and the stem. Oil pressure (hydraulic) serves to expand the lifter when the valve is closed so that the next time the rocker goes to push down on the valve, you don't get a tapping noise or physical damage by slapping 2 pieces of metal together. Think of it as an egg toss competition. When the egg starts to meet your hands, you drop your hands to soften the blow. The lifter is your hands, and the valve stem is the egg.

There is no adjustment to hydraulic lifters. Checking the clearance is just that ... checking it. If it is out of spec, it means the lifters or stems need replacing, not adjusting.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    This is a Honda V6 we are talking about, not a Mazda. The J30 Honda engine has no lifters. It has rollers on the rockers, that ride on the camshaft. This page of the service manual describes how to adjust the valve clearance
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • Options
    meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    Who cares? I thought you bought an Accord so you don't have to mess around with this kind of stuff. You buy it, put 75,000 miles on it, some oil changes, tires, a little brake job and you're out of it in 4 years with minimal maintenance.
  • Options
    Not exactly. I keep it for at least 10 years or more, depending on how enticing the new Accord is at the time. I do my own maintenance, and any repairs that come up (that I can handle) which were not much in the 12 years with my last Honda. Then I sell it for good money, because I took good care of it. Makes my "true cost to own" very low. You can never know too much about the car you drive. That's why I always get the factory service manual for every car or truck I own. If you prefer to let someone else do the maintenance on your car, that's fine. Like the old saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    At 75,000 miles, most Hondas (and many other brands) are just getting warmed up. Currently, I'm at 170,000 miles and haven't had a valve adjustment, or anything of that sort. Two repairs (one brake master cylinder, and one cooling fan motor) to the engine in those 11 and 1/2 years and that may miles. Not bad, as far as any car is concerned.
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    "...one design that needs to be improved."

truer words were never spoken!

dennis
  • Options
    The Civic has a much better placement on the dashboard, not in the instrument pod. I suspect the new Accord will utilize such a placement as well.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    You thought wrong. Autos are depreciating assets. The fewer you own in your lifetime,the more net worth you will have.
  • Options
    Ok.

I wasn't saying what the Honda had (since i've never disassembled it). Just explaining what hydraulic lifters are, since some folks seemed confused.

By the way, what is on the cam doesn't always matter. You can have both hydraulic lifters and roller rockers. The roller is at the cam and the lifter is at the valve stem (as is the case in the mazda i'm referring to).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    You thought wrong. Autos are depreciating assets. The fewer you own in your lifetime,the more net worth you will have.

Duh. I think we all know that. I never said anything about a car being a non-depreciating asset FinanceBoy.

My point was an Accord will perform fantastic for 4 years, cost you a minimal amount of money to maintain, and then you can sell it for a great price and do it all over again with a new Accord.

Or you can hang on to it forever and have a paid for car that is still tight, safe, and economical.

Honda's proven formula that people latch on to.
  • Options
    glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    I won both, a 2003 4 cylinder which is plenty peppy off the line and seems to run out of steam when she gets to about 75 MPH and above and a 2007 v-6 which is just about a good as car as you can get for about $21K. Its a matter of preference.

As to the Rear end treatment, I prefer the newer LED look. Its classier and I put the tail light lenses from the Hybrid on my 2007 V-6 SE model and its very BMW look-ish!!!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am also interested in the hybrid lenses - red turn signals are a peeve of mine - no contrast with the brake lights.

How did you do the swap - did the dealer give you credit for the lenses you turned in, or did you just buy the hybrid lenses, and if so how much were the lenses?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I have one other question about the Accord. Can anybody that has xm radio tell me what the display shows. Obviously the channel number, but does it also list the channel name (espn etc) and/ or the show (sportscenter etc)?

The more info the better, when dealing with 200 channels.

thanks.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Yes, the Accord radio displays both channel name and number. It also lists artist and song title or two lines of info from a news or sports station.

I have the navigation unit so I'm not sure how the other radio looks but I'm sure this info is there too.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info - I think the non-nav radio is different. It looks like there is only 1 line for the display, but maybe the line above the station shows something.
  • Options
    booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    I think you can toggle thru to display the info you're looking for, from channel name, number, genre, artist, and song title.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    the non-navi radio only has 1 line for SM display. You can choose what to show though (station, artist, title, etc.). It does always show station briefly when you change stations.

I keep it on artist. When the song changes, it does show briefly the song title, before switching back to artist.

Would be nice to have more lines, but it is still nicer than dealing with a portable unit.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    cajamexcajamex Member Posts: 5
    Did you get the dealer to replace your tail lights with the hybrid tail lights & how much was the cost?
  • Options
    roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    I understand Honda uses SOHC and Toyota uses DOHC in the Accord and Camry respectively. With DOHC I am told you get better variable valve timing depending on your speed and power requirements and desire for the best fuel economy. What is truly the better OHC?
  • Options
    The Camry and Accord 4cyls. are both DOHC. The Accord V6 is SOHC, and the Toyota V6 is DOHC.
  • Options
    deewofdeewof Member Posts: 11
    Talk about suspense ! I am permanently camped on the edge of my seat eagerly anticipating the answer to this one. Hopefully, we will not only discover which is better, but WHY it's better. Then I plan to casually mention some of my new-found pearls of wisdom & see if I can cause folks to think I gained a few I Q points. Can't hurt to try.
  • Options
    I'm sure many would say that DOHC is better. However, Honda's SOHC engines have comparable horsepower and fuel economy to Toyota's engines of the same size. I'm not an engine designer, and don't know what advantage DOHC has.
  • Options
    hmmm... well, on a SOHC V6, I can at least say its probably lighter, has less parts to break, and certainly the timing belt is easier to change. ;)

• Options
    jc9821jc9821 Member Posts: 5
    My 2007 SE V6 has recently developed a squeaking noise in the steering wheel when I initially turn out of my drive way. It only seems to happen when the weather is cold and even then not every time. I doubt that any tech would be able to replicate the sound even if left over night since it doesn't always happen.
    Has anyone had a similar experience? I'll keep an eye on it but I was just wondering if it's a sign of a bigger problem
    ahead.
  • Options
    aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    It looks like the leather seat is only available for EX trims according to autos.msn's trim comparision. Is it true?
    Can I ask the dealer to have an LX or SE V6 with leather seats? I remember my friend's 05 accord has leather seats but that's not an EX. Thanks.
  • Options
    you can, but it will be aftermarket, not factory.

• Options
    The seats that are leather, are also power seats. By the time you pay for those seats, it will cost you more than you would have paid for the EX.
  • Options
    Your friend's leather seats were one of two things:

1.) An EX-L 4-cylinder or EX-V6 model (EX-L is nearly equal to EX-V6 in terms of interior, just without the V6 engine)
    or
    2.) Aftermarket add-ons

With EX and Leather package (a.k.a. EX-L or EX-V6) you also add Dual Climate Control, heated seats, 8-way power driver's seat, premium interior trim, more lighted controls, XM Radio. I'd guess adding leather to an LX-V6 model would put you right into the price range of an EX-V6.
  • Options
    You should do yourself a big favor and actually look at the Accord Trim Levels. You'd save yourself a lot of questions. Remember, there are no factory "options" as on Ford and Toyota, etc...
  • Options
    Even if you purchased the leather power seats to put in an LX, would the wires be there to operate them? I doubt it. If you want leather seats, buy an EX. Honda has packages (not much in the way of options), you can not just order leather seats for an LX.
  • Options
    Thanks. I clearly remember his buying price was around $18,000. The leather seats cost around $1000 which I am not quite sure though. So basically the price is no way for an EX.I think he got the aftermarket add-ons according to you. Never dealt with Honda before. Just want to make sure they don't have options for a certain trim.
  • Options
    panzerleaderpanzerleader Member Posts: 15
    The following observations are based on my personal experiences with the Accord. I have owned many, here they are:

1. the 1993 Accord EX (5 spd) was the best handling and fun to drive. Suspension and steering were great.

2.) The 2002 Coupe EX 6 cylinder was OK but no manual was available at that time.

3.) The 2003 Sedan EX -L 6 cylinder w/ auto I hated. Suspension sucked. Unsafe at any speed. Needed 17" tires and other upgrades I did not want to mess with.

4.) 2004 Sedan EX-L 4 cylinder 5 spd entirely built in Japan was GREAT. Only problem was drift to right. This was corrected simply by getting rid of the stock Michelins and replacing with Bridgestone LS-V. I put over 100,000 miles on the car in less than 2 years. No problems. Still would have like 17" rims and lowered springs (Because of side wind drafts)

5.) Just bought 2007 Sedan EX-L 6 cyliner with 6 spd. Great improvements, all requests were answered, i.e. manual trans with 6 cylinder in Sedan; illuminated steering wheel controls; heated mirrors and 17" wheels etc. Will replace stock michelins as they are lame. Spoke with Factory Rep today and he stated that Honda may make available in "the future" the suspension upgrade on the sedan that is now available on the coupe. GREAT! However, I am thinking of some H&R Springs that lower the car by less than an inch, a front tower strut brace,(Better than the stock version and similar to the one on the coupe) a little stffer shock and perhaps a little larger front and rear sway bars. BUT, at the least, the H&R Spings. By the way the add on suspension kit for the coupe from Honda only lowers the car 1", why you ask? Because anything 1" and less and you do not have to mess with the alignment, i.e. caster and camber kits.

That all said and done, I use only Royal Purple Synthetic Oil. I change filter at 3,000 miles and top off oil. At next 3,000 miles I change oil and filter. Therefore new filter every 3K and new oil and filter every 6k. No problems. Tailpipe clean, no carbon. I used only Puralator Pure One top of line filters.Change the air filters, run some good injector cleaner about every 5K and have injectors shop cleaned every 45K. I changed the trans oil every 40K. I also boosted the air pressure an additional 2 psi in front tires and 2 psi in rear. Same psi ratio front to back but stiffens the sidewalls of the stock Michelins. As far as gas I run a 50/50 mix of regular and premium. This gives you a better Octane than 89 Mid Grade (About 90; given 87 and 93 equal 180 divided by 2 equals 90) and for less per gallon cost of midgrade gas. (Do the math) I fill up every half tank and alternate between Premium and regular thus maintaing 90 octane. I feel that the performance is better.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    The 2003, I hate to tell you, has the same suspension setup as the 2004 and 2007. Tires only make a slight difference, so for one car to be "unsafe" a simple one-up in tire size isn't going to make a 180 degree difference.

Also, 3,000 miles oil changes are a very frivolous expense. These engines are made to go into the 100s of thousands of miles with regular oil at a minimum mileage of 5,000 between changes. If you have extra money lying around, more power to you, but I think I'd donate it to my favorite charity before putting synthetic oil in my car every 3,000 miles.

Honda engineers know better than I, and recommend 87 octane for the Accord. Over and above is just extra money for Uncle Chevron.
  • Options
    Your friend likely had an LX 4-cylinder Accord. There is no leather availability except for the EX Accord. With the Leather Option comes Dual Auto Climate, Heated Seats, Power Driver's Seat, and Satellite Radio.

Check out the Honda website (which I linked earlier) for more info. It'll give you all the fun details.
  • Options
    Thanks. I've checked out similar comparisons at MSN. It is a good thing and a bad thing that people can't customize a trim. Interestingly enough, the other car of my two candidates--the Saturn Auru---has a no haggling price...
  • Options
    The Saturn Aura also has no track record for reliability. Saturn historically isn't particularly good at long-term quality. Things may be different, but I'll wish you a hearty good luck if you go for the Aura.

Be aware, top of the line EX-V6 Accords can now be had (w/o Navigation) for $25,000 or slightly less. You should be able to get any Accord under invoice.
  • Options
    Thanks. That's why I am very hesitant to go for a Saturn. But of all the midsize/largesize cars I test-drove in the 18k to 25k range including Accord I4/V6, Aura V6, Camry V6, Fusion I4, Altima 2.5S, Mazda6 I4, Passat 2.0T, Ford 500, Lacrosse, Impala, Aura gives me the best overall feeling when driving. For me, Accord V6 is just a li..ttle bit worse than Aura at accerlation but better than others. The problem is, like you said, Aura's reliability is still unknown, plus the interior is a little bit small for me.

Now back to Accord, is it real that I can get any Accord under invoice? $500-1k less is possible?
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Get the Accord! You will lose thousands on resale of the Saturn.
  • Options
    Now back to Accord, is it real that I can get any Accord under invoice? $500-1k less is possible?

At the moment, there is a current factory-to-dealer $750 incentive on them. It is a rebate that the dealer can choose to pass on to the customer. Check out the Prices Paid forum for Accords, you'll see most people paying under invoice for their Accords. I recently read about an EX-V6 for $24,200 +TTL, but I dont know how common that is.

Here is the most recent post from there:

#13883 of 13883 2007 EX-L V6 Automatic w/o Navi by stevewave Feb 02, 2007 (8:48 am)

I was originally going to buy an EX-L 4 Cyl, but ended up with a V6, automatic without navigation. I purchased it in Lincoln Nebraska for $24,300. This price includes all fees, splash guards, paint sealant, etc. The V6 is a much nicer vehicle, you get the nicer wheels, outside temp gauge...etc. Anyone else looked at this same vehicle? What are the prices you are seeing?

Thanks!
    Steve

Check it out and let me know what you find.
  • Options
    If you read my first post I do not change oil every 3K. Its every 6K. The filter is every 3K. There are slight changes in the suspension in the 2007 Accord over 2003. The 2003 was in my opinion and my taste unstable. And changing the tires did change the handling on the 2004. Especially regarding the drift to the right, as well as traction. If you read the other posts concerning the octane issues, some see a difference, others do not. Simply stated it is an individual perception.
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Wether I agree with your practices or not, I really admire your meticulousness. I wouldn't have the stamina to carry out such a rigorous maintenance regime :)

I'll just change the oil when the minder gets down to maybe 30 or 40%. I'm at 5500 miles now and the minder is at 40%. I'll try to get it changed for the first time very soon.
  • Options
    I agree with you. I am from the old school. The most important issue would be to at least get a new filter every 3K.
  • Options
    Without the maintenance minder going to 15%, the how do you know which services to get performed? I let mine hit 15% (around 6500 miles) and it gives you a code to let you know what needs servicing.
  • Options
    stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    I'm considering getting the same springs (H&R OE Sport), but first I'm going to upgrade the stock Michelins to Kumho SPTs and upgrade the rear sway bar to 17mm-20mm. If that's not sufficient for my purposes (I think it will be) I'll look into stiffer springs, but the ride is pretty stiff already. I just feel some roll on cornering (hence the RSB) and mediocre steering response (hence the high performance summer tires).
  • Options
    gperaltagperalta Member Posts: 1
    power window control
  • Options
    They are controlled by the switches on the doors. What about them?
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    What do you do, drain the oil, change the filter, and pour the used oil back into the engine?

For 5quarts x $2.00 = $10.00 ---- Why bother???

If you are going to be obsessive, go all the way, change oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
  • Options
    w5gcxw5gcx Member Posts: 6
    I have a Accord EX V6 '98 that is still going strong. But my '05 EX Accord has a problem with the suspension...it always drifted to the right. The dealer adjusted the castor by resetting the struts in th emount. But, it still goes back and forth whenever you try and go straight. Alignment lasts 1000-2000 miles. One consumer sight on internet says the engine needs to moved all the way to the right in its mounts.

What gives with HONDA, I'm ready to unload it with less than 20k miles on it

thanks
    ed