Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    ssee28ssee28 Member Posts: 13
    I would like to see more photo of the 03 coupe as well ... 22,900 is not toooo shabby
  • Options
    bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Go test drive an '02. We went thru the same thought process and bought an '02 sedan. I figured we can always trade forward to an '03 (or later), but can't trade back to an '02.
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    No, Carol drives a 5 speed Celica GT. Shes thinking about a 350Z or S2000 6 speed for her next car.
  • Options
    cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    I checked out the 6 as suggested by some on this board. WOW! It looks much better than Altima, Camry, Accord, even the Passat.

Maybe the Accord will look better in person or with professional pics.

Anybody know when the 6 will be available?
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...should be released in November or December. Only the sedan at first - the wagon and 5-door hatch, which is really the most handsome and practical design, won't be available until late '03.

This was my point about withholding judgment until you have a chance to try all of the competitors on the same weekend, and that won't happen until very late this year.

I note that many of the quick triggers in this group seem to be the younger people. So be it. The car wasn't designed to be a bulls-eye with everyone - just the same folk who have always appreciated Honda for solid performance, reliable life, and economical ownership experiences. You want all of that, and "hot" styling too? A good virtual walk around the Mazda 6 indicates some nice surface details, and a good overall shape, but I would hardly call it a dramatic breakthrough compared to either the Camry or new Accord. And it won't have the room of either of them either in the cabin or the trunk.

I too look forward to trying both the Mazda and the new Accord - but it is the driving experience and interior details that would break ties for me, not the exteriors...
  • Options
    cdavidccdavidc Member Posts: 10
    There seems to be a lot of negitive comments on the 03 Accord styling.Was it the same when the last generation came out in 98 and it took people a while to get used to it
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Even if the '03 looked plainer than those pictures, they will still sell about 400K of them every year. I don't see any dramatic changes, it's the usual "slightly wider, taller, longer, roomier with improved emissions and crash protection". Maybe the dramatic changes refer to Honda finally doing something about road noise.

I agree with many of the posts that this bloated design is NOT going to lower the median age of the Honda customer, in fact it may raise it by a couple of years. A recently released study said that the new Civic's boring look has raised the median age of the Civic customer by 2 years. Apparently, Honda is getting concerned about this increase.

What Honda should have done, IMHO, is design a little more stylish 5 door hatch (with a sedan look) like the Mazda 6, in addition to this evolutionary sedan. That would satisfy many Honda customers bored with evolutionary styling who want something different with more utility.

Honda seems to be missing out on the hatchback market. But does it matter to them? Probably not, because they'll still sell 400K sedans every year to people who want a 'H' on the car, with all the refinement/packaging that comes with it.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The cheap people who want the "H" will buy Hyundai. ;-)
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Actually, the Civic is very popular with the college crowd. Almost every single other person at my school drives a Civic. And they don't modify it either. They just want a decent looking, moderately priced and reliable car. But amazingly, there's almost as many who own Accords.

Now getting back to the Accord- yup, when the current Accord came out, there was a lot of booing and hissing too. But like I said, that will not stop the Accord from being a top seller.
  • Options
    When the current Accord came out in '98, there was some criticism about it being bland, noteably from mags such as C & D, but I think the '03's styling is bordering on controversial, even ugly. The current version was never described in those terms.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Very well said, I agree completely with your statement about "controversial" versus bland. Still, none of us have seen the car in person, so maybe time will tell.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    as to call the '03 sedan ugly, but I'm definately disapointed in what I see. I't kind of an update of the 94-97 car (with something of the previous two Civics thrown in), rather than the definative 90-93 model. Not as athletic as a 6, elegant as a Passat, and more conservative than Altima. However, I think it looks more substantial than the Camry, especially from the rear.

I stopped at the dealer last night because I saw two Civic Sis in the lot. Looking over the newest products of the current lineup (Civic, Civic Si, CR-V, and Pilot) the new Accord definately looks like a Honda. The current Accord and Odessey look like holdovers from a previous design language.

When you factor all of the other considerations that people buy Honda's for, this is probably the "right" car for 90-95% of the mid-size market. I've told myself that on my next car I want something more distinctive, sporty, etc. Remember, the current car isn't exactly a stunner, but it sneeks up on you with all around balance. I love our '01 EX/5spd. Accord and hope that the Acura UD meets these expectations, if the '03 Accord doesn't. Otherwise, hello Mazda6 (the 5door/V-6/5spd is tempting on its own merits)!
  • Options
    canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    Side impact on 2002 Camry = 2 stars!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2089.html

Ouch. The 1997-2001 Camry had 3 stars. The 1998 - 2002 Accord had 4 stars.

If Honda has done their homework on the 2003 Accord (ie 4 to 5 stars), a lot of people (like me) will lean more towards the Accord based on safety (and live with the "dull" looks)

How did Toyota mess this one up?

• Options
    I think Toyota is over-rated. Make no mistake, they put out a good product, just not as flawless as people make them out to be. Their styling is even more conservative than Honda's. They've got the oil sludge issue. Overall most of their cars are not very exciting.
  • Options
    tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I think Lexus' styling is excellent; maybe the best of all Japanese car companies. Honda's styling used to be sporty and unique. Now, Honda's styling is nothing to be proud of for their owners.
  • Options
    But MB still rules in the high-end segment.
  • Options
    jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    The '03 is pretty much what I expected out of Honda. I think lots of people who initially have a negative impression of it will buy it anyway, because there isn't another compelling value, except perhaps the Mazda 6.

I think Honda needs another interesting car/hatch to attract the younger buyer. The Accord and even the Civic appear targeted to the over 45 crowd.
  • Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Wow! This topic sure exploded ... understandably, of course. I'm gone for the week and ... well, I guess I didn't miss much, at least not from what I've seen ....blech! :-(

I will need to see the '03 in person before making any further observations, but my initial impressions are negative. I was a big fan of the 3rd, and esp the 4th, gen Accord. I never liked the 5th gen Accord, in fact, I disliked it quite a bit. It never, ever grew on me. I felt it was such a radical change for the worse compared to the previous two gen's. When the current Accord was released, I knew it was only a matter of time before I bought one! (and I'm glad I did!) But, that's JMO. Maybe the '03 will grow on me - we'll see
  • Options
    timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I can't tell enough from those vtec photos to make my mind up about the styling. Wait and see.

But I found the following nuggets from http://www.collegehillshonda.com/funstuff/honda2003.htm. The V6 engine and a stick shift will NOT be mated on the sedan, but will be on the coupe - a 6-speed manual with the V6 coupe. But, the V6 manual coupes will not be available until Spring 2003.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Every time Honda makes a model change, the comments are always the same...

" Oh, it's SO NICE !"

" Why did they screw it up?"

On and on...some people like the colors, some don't. some like the tailights and others think they are ugly.

Endless ramblings about what Honda should have done..."it looks like a cross between...."

" You would THINK that Honda would have....."

Funny...and predictable!

Hopefully history will repeat itself and the new Accord will be a runaway best seller!

But...hey, they aren't for everybody either!
  • Options
    heisnsteinheisnstein Member Posts: 45
    I'm sure history will repeat itself and Honda will be a runaway best seller. But I think you'll find that Honda has made a mistake in its design. Maybe not as bad as Taurus' 96 disaster, but a mistake all the same. Honda has again chosen to tread conservatively in its redesign, but this time the market is not staying still. Now Nissan and Volkswagen have stepped up (take a look how VW's design has won it nothing but kudos), while Honda's design team is still choosing to fight yesterday's war against the Camry. Maybe smart in the short run, but in the long run, I think Honda will count this as an opportunity missed.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I think it's pretty clear that the success of the Passat is at the expense of products other than the Accord. With all of the enthusiasm from the press about the Passat and its sales increases, the Accord remains as popular as ever. I'm sure that the success of the Altima will also leave the Accord mostly unaffected. In the Accord's (and Camry's) mainstream market, the Passat and Altima will never be anything more than moderately successful niche players. They achieve this status by providing interesting alternatives to the mainstream, but many of the things that make them interesting also keep them off the list of many buyers who value the characteristics of the mainstream successes such as Accord and Camry.

So while VW and Nissan provide designs that evoke oohs and aahs among the automotive press and other enthusiasts, Honda wisely continues to recognize its true market position and designs the Accord with that in mind. These other cars may spark the imagination, but they don't shape the marketplace. Make no mistake about it, the war against the Camry is as current as it's ever been.
  • Options
    canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    than all previous Accord models overall IMHO.

Currently have a 1991 EXR.

Was looking to "upgrade" to a used 1996/1997 EXR so test drove from a dealer. Seemed to be allright.

There also happened to be a used 2000 EX-V6 on the lot.
    Took it for a spin and was convinced immediately that this was a superior vehicle with a definite WOW fatcor.

If the 2003 Accord gives me just 25% of this type of WOW factor (actually DRIVING it, not just looking at snapshots on the 'net), I will be sold.
  • Options
    joejoejoe1joejoejoe1 Member Posts: 9
    In this Saturday's Wash Post, Oursman Honda of Laurel is selling its EX Accords (Model CG566 which is 4 door Auto with cloth interior) for $17,068 (Price of $16,588 plus freight which is $480) plus tax and tags(Maryland Law is $25) net of all incentives/rebates. I guess this is the new selling price for the EX. It says it has 45 cars at similar savings.

If so, by the end of July, they should be at $16K!

Has anyone purchsed an EX-auto for less?
  • Options
    ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    $3,500 below invoice on an EX auto?? Either Honda substantially increased its dealer incentives, or there is a typo, and the add is for an LX auto. Please let us know what you find out.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yeah...something is wrong. If not, I'll buy a one way plane ticket and drive one home!
  • Options
    cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    that must be a mistake. but if not let me know and i'll get out my checkbook
  • Options
    david179david179 Member Posts: 6
    What is your best guess on dealer incentives on 2002 models in July?

Due to the recent dealer incentives on 2002 Accords, I am seriously considering buying an EX V6 right now (at $1200 below invoice); even though I do not need a vehicle until October.

Should I wait a few more weeks to see if the deals get any better in July??? Of course the dealer has told me that this offer will expire at the end of June, but it seems Honda will have more incentive to get rid of the old models next month. The only thing that concerns me is not getting the color that I want (if the dealer runs out). However, price is more important than color to me. Thoughts?
  • Options
    jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    David: This is one of those things nobody can answer. I just bought my wife the 2002 Accord EX, 6-cyl, because of the price. I thought about waiting, but 22K with 4.75% interest in hand was too much for me to turn down. Only time will tell. Even if they do go down more-how much can that be? I sometimes think, with my luck, they will go to 19K--But that's not realistic. No matter what, my wife loves the car and I know I got a great price.

Jim
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    that is the last model Skylark now discontinued. I knew I saw that rear end before! Must be left over inventory.
  • Options
    wmelquistwmelquist Member Posts: 2
    I've been trying to find the best website for photos for the 2003 Accord. The only thing I've found is Edmunds and it doesn't show the tailend, but a lot of people in the chat line appear to have a definite opinion of the design. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    silvermikesilvermike Member Posts: 1
    I am driving a 1993 Honda Accord. The last two years when I have to start the engine in a hot day it is cranking, but not starting. I have to wait till it becomes cool or, sometimes, it is starting after I pull the wires from the plugs and put them back. NO messages in the computer's memory (check engine). It happens only if it is very hot inside. Never happend in winter time.
  • Options
    eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
  • Options
    eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    Does anyone know if it plays CD-R's?
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I had a similar problem 2 years ago. A new battery was the cure.
  • Options
    blueskiesblueskies Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone tell me why my 2002 Car & Driver New Car Guide lists the Accord 4dr as having an interior volume of 53-55 for the front seats and 45-46 for the rear? I've seen the Accord listed as having 101 cu. ft. of interior volume, which would be the total of the second two figures -- 55 plus 46. Would the first two figures -- 53 plus 45 -- be for the moonroof version?

I emailed Car & Driver with this question and got no response. So much for reader service.

On the '03 styling -- it seems pretty middle of the road to me, but definitely not ugly, though we're certainly in a subjective area here. Butt ugly would be the Pontiac Aztek. The new Accord just seems like another bland contemporary car, no more, no less. But I do like the looks of the alloy wheels on the closeup of the green model, expecially in comparison with the completely forgetable alloys on the Camry. Like others, I'm looking forward to driving an '03 Accord to see what kind of interior and driving experience Honda has come up with. I'm hoping for the best, since I'm in the market.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    eludwig,
    Yes. I've some CD-Rs that I play in my Accord (98 EX).

bluesikes,
    Thats true. With moonroof, about 2.5 cu. ft of interior volume is gone. So, for LX, it would be 55/46 split (total 101 cu. ft) and for EX, it would be 53/45 (total 98.5 cu. ft).
  • Options
    firsttime1firsttime1 Member Posts: 2
    Jimmyj1945: Was 22K out the door? Also, would you have any idea what the current dealer incentive is in June?

Thanks
  • Options
    hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    My friend has that generation accord and this happened to him also. I believe it is the fuel relay but not 100%. It is a common problem for that generation of the Accord and the dealer knew about it.
  • Options
    soundsforlifesoundsforlife Member Posts: 2
    How many amps or volt's does and '99 accord's alt put out? I have an LX 4
  • Options
    jtraceynjjtraceynj Member Posts: 5
    Hello! Just picked up a 2002 SE, and so far the only thing getting on my nerves is the incredibly loud beep that sounds when you arm the alarm with the keyless remote. I live in a townhouse development and it's very obnoxious. Is there any way to turn that off? Sorry if this is a FAQ.
  • Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    ... because I woke up at 5am this morning and felt a strong urge to go trade my '00 SE for an '02 EX-V6, hehe! The wife even said I was talking in my sleep!

So, I login to this board today and see people talking about $22K deals, 4.75% financing, fluctuating monetary values, end-of-model clearances, etc, ...hmmm, maybe I DO need to think about this!
  • Options
    vtec2vtec2 Member Posts: 43
    On some Honda key fobs you can switch between honk and no-honk by holding down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
  • Options
    If you only hit the FOB once, the lights flash but the horn doesn't sound. That Horn is really loud. Some makers use a more muted tone for the locks/alarm. But, if you want to hear it be really loud, try setting the alarm off!
  • Options
    ...so that just the lights flash to indicate the system is armed. This is always the first thing I do when we get a car with this feature, because the noise is so obnoxious. If the instructions above don't do it, consult your owner's manual or the dealer...your neighbors will thank you, I'm sure...
  • Options
    jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    I like the new Accord design. It is very consistent with how Honda designs all of their products. It is not hip and setting new styling trends, but is more timeless and simple. It reminds me a bit of an Italian sedan design in the way it looks like a subtle wedge terminating with the wrap around tail lights. A bit like an Alfa of days past. In the end it will be much like the current generation. Simple and (over time) ubiquitous, yet mildly attractive. I have a 2000 LX-V6 and perhaps in about 2006 or 2007 when this next Accord is reaching the end of its life, I will look to get one as a replacement. I hope it drives as well as the current gen.
  • Options
    If you keep your current car that long, you'll be back here debating whether to by a 7th generation or wait until the 8th debuts as a 2008 model like those who are debating a 6th or 7th generation car. Scary to think that far out...

You are right however, that Honda design's tend to be "timeless" meaning the 7th generation will still look good in 2008 with only a midcycle facelift around 2005 or 2006.
  • Options
    ...who thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car we've seen on V-Net. I was beginning to think I was a minority of one on this topic.

I've been preaching that styling in this segment has to be conservative and evolutionary to keep people coming back over time. The car is clearly a Honda, particularly from the front, and the wedge moving to the rear was necessary both for aero reasons and to get the trunk a bit bigger, which it needed to be to stay competitive in this market. I like it.
  • Options
    ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    There will be a clearance sale for the Accords but I don't know when. With the dollar falling in value,it will be more difficult for the foreign auto makers to offer discounts. This will cut into their bottom line whem they remit profits to their home office.However, if car sales slow considerably, they will have to offer discounts to move the cars off the lot.Last month when Toyota offered 3.9% financing, The New York Times Business Section wrote that it was the falling value of the yen that gave Toyota the oomph to offer that deal on a brand new model that was selling well.