Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Not only does the base sound just great; it makes the upgraded sound system not seem worth the price. I've listened to both and the upgraded audio is not worth $1800 more than the base system.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    BMW does build 3 Series in Germany and S. Africa. Can't say I know what has happened to the Rand vs the Dollar, but thinking the Rand has been strong the last few years.

Doubt BMW could build large quantities of 3 or 5 Series at Spartansburg without major expansion, though thinking I'd read something recently about expansion at that plant.

Japan Inc.'s premium marques haven't built too many cars in USA. Thinking Lexus is finally building some ES330s in USA (or Canada?) as is Acura with the TL. But the ES is based on the Camry and the TL on the Accord. Cars like the IS300, GS300/430, and LS430 are built in Japan. Same for M45 and Q45. And the RL. I pay little attention to SUVs so not sure where RX, GX, or LX built or FX.
  • Options
    joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    They are always expanding the Spartanburg plant. For awhile, they actually built the 3 series there. Now, they're filled up with the Z4 and X5, since both are selling as well or better than available capacity. They've said that the next gen X3 may be built there. I think that's the next logical move for that plant.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The Spartanburg plant built the E36 318i initially so that BMW could be sure that US built cars measured up to those assembled in Germany. The original plan was to build sedans AND roadsters, but the success of the Z3 saw the sedans removed from the menu.
  • Options
    banglenotbanglenot Member Posts: 31
    Folks,

I'm puzzled about the locations of the speakers in my 525. Manual says 10. I've found two in each door and two on the rear shelf, totalling 6. According to this from BMW:

"...HiFi system with two central bass loudspeakers. Two central bass loudspeakers beneath the front seats providing perfect reproduction of low sounds throughout the car form the very “heart” of the HiFi system. As in the 7 Series, the volume required is provided by linking the central bass loudspeakers to the side-sills. A tweeter is housed in each of the mirror triangles, and a sub-woofer is integrated in each of the front door panels. Two further sub-woofers are integrated in the parcel shelf, with
    two tweeters in between."

Does this mean that four of the speakers (the two subwoofers under the seats and the two subwoofers on the back panel) are buried in the assemblies they're part of? I reach under the front seats and can't feel (or see) speakers.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    A lot of times, speakers are mounted in tandem (ie the midrange and tweeter are mounted together coaxially) which would account for 1 hole in the door, but 2 speakers being there. I'm not sure if this is the case on the 5's or not though.

-Paul
  • Options
    robopoprobopop Member Posts: 15
    I have an '01 530 step.(47000 miles) and seem to be having problems with the engine/transmission although the dealer and BMWNA both say it is normal. The situation is when I am in third gear (manual sport mode) and running about 2000 rpm in traffic, the traffic opens up and I accelerate up with about 3/4 pedal, the rpms go up to 3000, drop down about 200 rpms and then continue up normally. This rpm "drop" can happen in 2nd and 4th gear as well. The situation didn't occur for the first 15000 miles and stopped for about 5000 miles after one of the software down loads but now seems to be getting worse. BMW says it has to do with the torque lock up but I don't understand their reasoning. No codes have ever shown up. Anyone can explain this to me or have a solution? Thanks.
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/5series/100344931/roadtestart- icle.html?articleId=101320&tid=edmunds.h..reviews.rightbanner- .1.*

Follows my belief that the 530i is not price/performance competitive. This will yield better discounts for consumers. They need to introduce a higher power 6-cylinder engine. Looks like a lightly equipped 545i is the way to go for this model year.

Expert critic...
  • Options
    http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/040302/autos_bmw_table_1.html

DETROIT, March 2 (Reuters) - Following are BMW (Bayerische
    Motoren Werke) (XETRA:BMWG.DE - News; Frankfurt:BMWG.F - News) U.S. sales of cars and light
    trucks in February 2004 versus the same year-earlier month and
    for the year to date.
                            Feb 2004 Feb 2003 % Change
     All Vehicles 19,561 19,127 2.3%
     Domestic Car 815 1,277 -36.2%
     Domestic Truck 2,249 2,522 -10.8%
     Import Car 15,427 15,328 0.6%
     Import Truck 1,070 0 100.0%
     Dom+Imp Cars 16,242 16,605 -2.2%
     Dom+Imp Trucks 3,319 2,522 31.6%
     Domestic Vehicles 3,064 3,799 -19.3%
     Imported Vehicles 16,497 15,328 7.6%
                          Yr-to-Date Prev Year % Change
     All Vehicles 35,696 38,950 -10.2%
     Domestic Car 1,148 2,615 -57.0%
     Domestic Truck 4,238 5,216 -20.4%
     Import Car 28,457 31,119 -10.4%
     Import Truck 1,853 0 100.0%
     Dom+Imp Cars 29,605 33,734 -14.0%
     Dom+Imp Trucks 6,091 5,216 14.4%
     Domestic Vehicles 5,386 7,831 -32.6%
     Imported Vehicles 30,310 31,119 -4.5%
     --------------------------------------------------------------
     Percent changes are based on the daily sales rate, and
    reflect 24 selling days this month vs. 24 in the month last
    year, and 50 this year to date vs. 49 last year to date
     Bayerische Moteren Werke AG
  • Options
    billbroxbillbrox Member Posts: 41
    The survey should have arrived in your mail 2-3 weeks after the purchase of your vehicle. If you did not receive it, contact your dealer and let him/her know.

I got mine promptly.

Regards
  • Options
    diver110diver110 Member Posts: 67
    I have a 540i. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to the sport package, what would be involved and a ballpark cost?
  • Options
    dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Please advise:

My 02 530 (Black/Black which looks awesome) has 26K miles on the tires and is ready for new ones. Please advise on the following below - I am a Sales Rep driving a lot per year on the highway so please consider that. I know this question has been asked a lot - so the guys who really know please respond (Shipo, Riez, etc....and others - you know who you are)

The following came from Tirerack this morning:

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 $179.00
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 $154.00
    Dunlop SP Sport 2000E $138.00
    Cont. Conti Extreme Cont. $118.00
    Mich Pilot Sport A/S $188.00

My car has the Pilots on it now/FYI

Do I really need a Y rated tire - I have never driven 186 MPH lol!

I am at Starbucks checking e-mail/working while my 530 is have the drivers side window motor replaced. (Drove 55 miles to the dealer with the window half down in 35 degree weather in Chicago)I am sure when I go back and pick it up - they will try and sell me tires so please respond asap if possible.

I may shop elsewhere as well for the tires.

Thanks
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My only suggestion is that since you seem inclined to use the same set of tires year-round, you might give serious thought to the Michelin Pilot-Sport A/Ss given their "All-Season" characteristics.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I take that back - I will put on 16in rims and Bizzacks next winter.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    The Bridgestone and Goodyears are Max Performance tires.... Not the best choice for someone who uses their car for business, IMO.

The Michelins are probably the best tire, but I've heard good things about that model Continental (those are all-season also, right?), and at that price, I might be willing to try them.
    If I'm wrong, and they aren't all-season, disregard that.

I'm sure someone will disagree, but I haven't encountered a decent Dunlop tire in years.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    In reality, any W-, Y-, or Z-rated tire should be fine.. Add those to your search, and de-select the Max performance tires, if you want decent tread life. Even though you are switching to Blizzaks in the winter, it doesn't mean you can't get all-seasons for the rest of the year, as long as they meet your needs and budget.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I thought it was not recommended/necessary to rotate the Sport tires on a 530 - the mechanic told me this morning that I should.

What gives - is this a subjective question?
    Or does BMW recommend rotating vs. not?
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S since you put a lot of miles on your tires. I would want a reasonably quiet tire and a decent ride if I were in this situation. The other tires you mentioned are all Max Performance summer tires. Dunlops are fair tires but much too noisy. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    looks LOVELY.

ksso
  • Options
    2 Recommendations - and you both recommend the most expensive tires - lol!!

Thanks
  • Options
    ndmdndmd Member Posts: 27
    in the 530 for 2005? I thought I heard that at some point. I have decided to hold on my purchase until my current lease is up in October. Therefore, I will have to decide on grabbing an end of the model year 2004 or an early 2005. If there is an increase in HP, I will wait for the 2005.
  • Options
    There have been rumors of a higher power "Valvetronic" version of the venerable 2.5 and 3.0 liter I6 engines for some time now. That said, I have yet to hear from a single authoritative source as to their release date. Will it be in the 2005 model year? Maybe, then again maybe not.

Gee, wasn't I a big help? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dzuba... For the most part, you won't go wrong with any decent modern tire.

I'm assuming you have the Sport Pkg and that you love to drive. You are right to use winter tires and summer tires. I would NOT recommend all-season tires.

Guess it boils down to a few things:

1. What are you willing to pay?
    2. How important are performance vs long life vs noise issues?

I put a set of ContiSportContact 2s on my former 540i6. I thought they were a great all around tire. Wonderful in rain, low noise, great performance. BUT I've also heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Sports. If you want to pay for 'em, get the PSs.

And if you deduct the car for business, you can likely afford the very best!
  • Options
    TO the 540 owner who wants the sports package:
    Buy some 17 or 18" wheels with nice perf tires.

TO the sales guy:
    I have the Pilot Sport A/S tires on 17 wheels. Very nice tires. The best ride in my 1 million miles of driving! The wear rating is 400, which is nearly double a Dunlop 9000 as an example. And great in the rain. So so in snow.
  • Options
    karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    Check out the reviews of the Bridgestone Turanza's on Tire Rack. They sure seem to be impressive in all categories, I think I'll give them a try next time.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • Options
    billbroxbillbrox Member Posts: 41
    dzuba, please let us know what you ultimately decided on. I have an 03 530 w/sp, pp, and am ready to purchase tires as well.....same quandry as you......also..... I was told my Conti tires could not be rotated because the rears are diff. sized than the fronts. Has anyone else had this told to them or can I, in fact, rotate the tires?

Spinning in MD
  • Options
    Thre's a simple answer to your question; just check the sidewalls. If the rears are a different size they cannot be rotated.
  • Options
    No purchase yet:

The BMW dealer had a price on the Mich. Pilot Sports for $255.00 a tire. These are the tires on the car now. I am not trying to be cheap - but I do think I can get very good tires for much less than that.

A buddy of mine who drives an Audi S4, and drives it much harder than I drive my 530 highly recommends Kumho Ecsta MX - and they are $120.00 per tire. I am doing some research on them now.
  • Options
    rmmirishrmmirish Member Posts: 2
    4/50 is std.

Is it worth it to go to a 6/100 for a additional 1,300 if one would tend to put on 25-30K per year?
  • Options
    I have the Ecsta 712s on my Club Sport and I have been very pleased with them. I've also had good luck with Bridgestone(Expedia), Dunlop(D40M2), and Pirelli(P6000).
  • Options
    530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    Assuming that you log in 25k/yr, you will reach 100k in four years. In this case your 4/50 will run out after the second year, and you are paying $650/year since your mileage will reach 100k after four year. I bought a platinum 6/70 warranty that will expire in 2010 for $1400. In my case what I need is time not mileage since we don't drive that much. My standard warranty expires at the end of 2005, and based on that I am paying $280/yr with $200 deductible. You have to shop around since the price ranges from $1500-$3000 for different types of coverages and deductible. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Never have been a fan of 3rd party warranties. These are only as good as the companies that sell them and the re-insurerers that protect them.

There was an interesting AP article in my local newspaper yesterday titled "Car-service's firm's bankruptcy shield upheld." Discusses National Warranty Insurance Co., "that sold extended warranty service contracts for some 1 million cars nationwide", whose "'provisional liquidation' status in the Cayman Islands" was upheld on appeal. Article mentions that "value of claims in dispute may reach $60 million, according to A.M. Best" but others estimate claims at $100 million. The people with these extended warranties won't likely ever get anything back from this bankrupt company.
  • Options
    pmcpmc Member Posts: 1
    As many of you may or may not know, Cadillac is set to release the next generation of Seville called STS. And, as you may suspect, the car is poised to garnish as many if not more awards than the venerable Cadillac SRX (Car and Driver's "Car of the Year", Consumer Reports "Best-in-class" Mar '04).

The car shall be equipped with magnetic ride control, push-button start (no more car keys-the car automatically un-locks when you're within vicinity and starts with the press of a button. You will not see a key hole where one would ordinarily be on driver or passenger door) and the best V-6 and V-8 engines in the world (variable valve cam phasing on both intake and exhaust, dual-stage intake runners, no AIR pump; no EGR valve, ULEV EPA ratings for both).

Looks like the BMW 530i will be reduced to a novelty with gimmics like adaptive steering and headlights that turn when the steering wheel is turned (ala 1957 Packard).

Farewell, 530i. Move over and let the 2005 Cadillac STS come thru...
  • Options
    Haven't had a Caddy-Troll in a while... BMW envy does amazing things to people. Anyway, I'm not allowed to purchase a Caddy-I'm under 80 and I still have all my own teeth...
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    How is it you can declare an unreleased car, that you've never seen, much less driven, to be superior to anyhing?
  • Options
    pmc... Do you remember the Cimarron? The 8-6-4 engine fiasco? The last Seville flopped badly in Europe. The Cadillac CTS has hardly revolutionized its market segment. Will be interesting to see how many CTS-Vs are sold and for how long. Cadillac is really moving SUVs and Devilles.

Is too bad Cadillac pushing V6s. Thankfully BMW is sticking with the inherently smooth I6.

Maybe Lincoln should be nervous, but I don't think BMW or MB are too scared about Cadillac. Heck, the new Cadillac roadster has a $75,000 MSRP. Can't wait to see ads showing $10,000 off!
  • Options
    ewcloudewcloud Member Posts: 5
    In a few months I will be moving to Burlington, NC. Can anyone tell me which dealer is better - Crown BMW in Greensboro or Performance BMW in Chapel Hill? I appreciate any info. Thanks.
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, this PMC character is a self described Cadillac Troll. "The Internet's most gifted, intelligent Cadillac troll" in its own words.

Without taking issue with any of its bilge I will say this: it may well be welcomed in a Cadillac vs. BMW topic, however, its presence here is simply to stir up trouble, and, IMHO, it should be warned off.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Agreed --

An STS vs 5-Series discussion can be established on our Comparisons board.

There is no need for anyone - self-described troll or not - to come in here with the sole purpose of disrupting the discussion.

Let's just stick to the subject and if further problems develop, I will handle them. Email me if you see a problem before I do. Responding within the discussion only encourages and continues the disruption.

Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Options
    Eddiebauer15Eddiebauer15 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know why people are complaining about pricing for the new 530.People are saying in magazines and everything i read that it is so expensive. The base price of the car is 45,000 which is still cheaper than an e320 which starts at almost 49,000. Add the premium package, auto, cold weather package, and xenons to the bimmer and it is about 50,800. Comparably equipped you would have to add full leather interior to the benz($1200), xenons with washers($1180), heated seats and wheel($900), glass sunroof(1240 and standard on the 5 series) gets a total msrp of $54, 255. Which is better bargain now?? AHH, DUH!!!!
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    it's all relative.

Happiness = reality - expectations.

If you've been able to get a 5 in the past for 36 - 38K that now costs 43K, you're not going to be too pleased. If you're new to the party and have never bought one before. . .
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Eddiebauer15... All things are relative. The E60 has increased significantly in price over the E39. Add that to the styling, excessive technology, and other issues. The E60 525i & 530i also have some great competition under $40,000. Powerful cars like G35, TL, etc.

For that $50,800 MSRP you cite for a 530i, someone could have a CTS-V that competes well against the M5.

Rise in Euro has impacted pricing, but so has all the added technology. Will be interesting to see how reliable the E60 will be.
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You stick hounds should be rooting for the Cadillac CTS and STS. The manual tranny is an endangered species in bigger sedans. The way I see it, their foray into the area of sport sedans should be welcomed. In the long run, a better Cadillac can only help to make a better BMW. We all know what lack of competition does to fat cats and their products.

I think pmc is a little too enthusiastic and overly optimistic, but I don't see his post as disruptive. Lately, this place could use some vitamins. And he's right about the novelty options in the 530.
  • Options
    designman... Concur. I'm not a fan of all the electronic and electric gimmickry, though both active steering and active roll stabilization appear to have some highly substantial benefits. I'd take both over navigation systems, iDrive, automatic climate control, etc.

Thankfully manual transmissions are making something of a comeback in this and related segments. Cars like G35, IS300, TL, Maxima, CTS, TSX, A4/6, etc. (The CTS-V really does appear to be great value for the money, assuming the future resale doesn't crater.)
  • Options
    kbraleighkbraleigh Member Posts: 6
    I just moved to Raleigh and used Performance to fix a vacuum problem on my 325Xi that my dealer in PA couldn't diagnose, so I would recommend them over Crown at this point, only because they treated me well.

However, I am planning to buy a new 5 series within the week and wasn't happy with the pricing from Performance. Crown didn't seem interested in my business, maybe because they didn't think I would buy from them. I look for service as much as I do price. Having said that, I am planning to buy from Leith BMW in Raleigh after spending some time at the dealership. They seemed to be interested in me and my business and were great to deal with.

I would have perferred Crown if they were more responsive. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ewcloudewcloud Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, kbraleigh. I also am moving from PA. I appreciate your comments. I bought a 530i in December and love the car. Good luck with your new car.
  • Options
    savorasavora Member Posts: 25
    for the 2004 530i, it evidently will be cell phone capable. does anyone have more information about it? bluetooth capable? additional accessories needed/cost, etc.

does anyone know of additional information about the logic 7 system. the bmw website does not give any information at all.

thanks in advance
  • Options
    ndmdndmd Member Posts: 27
    The phones are still dealer installed only. I have seen/heard quotes anywhere from $1200-2500, installed; a little rediculous, in my opinion. In addition, you have to be sure that service providers in your area support Bluetooth.

I have not heard the Logic7 system, but I have heard that the base system is excellent. Even a dealer told me that it is probably only worth the extra money if you are seriously into music.