Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Have installed Valentine one in & out of several cars. Never a problem. The only exception to this,that I have read, are cars with heated win shied devices built in. Don't waste your money on any her unit. Valentine is THE BEST.
    Really like my Ecru interior but looking for some floor mats that will protect the factory mats but still be cleanable & look good. Any suggestions?
  • slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    I found clear plastic/vinyl(soft but somewhat thin) floormats at pepboys that fit pretty good with cleats on the bottom. They served the purpose during the recent rain spell, but tend to move a little due to the lighter than rubbermaid weight. Clear/see through floor mats look the best in my opinion, since the other color choices I've seen available are not a match or even complimentary. Please let me know if you better.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I'm also concerned about the ecru mats (even though I don't have my car yet). I was planning to go to a carpet store, take in a mat from the car and see if they had any remnants or samples that were close. Then I was going to cut them to fit. I'll let you know how it works out. It will be a couple of weeks though, since I don't get the car until then.
  • alwanalwan Member Posts: 1
    I saw the picture of the volantin1,it look so big, I wonder where you mount it, is it on the dashboard,it does not look nice, I appreciate an explanation , thanks
  • skip110skip110 Member Posts: 12
    Just on the small chance that there are still a few unbelievers that need convincing. Check out this review: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3445&sid=183&n=157
  • barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    Why don't you just use your Ecru mats. When they get too dirty, use Dow Bathroom Cleaner (Scrubbing Bubbles) foam. Sponge in and wipe off with damp rag. My professional carpet cleaner recommends it. Or, when you get your home carpet professionally cleaned, let them clean your mats at that time. If you're going to buy mats, why not buy replacements from Lexus a couple of years down the line? I don't think any of us have our sofas covered in clear plastic, do we?
  • pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    Most LS430 buyers who test drove both vehicles had reached the same conclusion.Actually the true competitor of LS 430 is S500.
    I see that many LS430 owners have moved out of the Luxury Board.Let us enrich the LS board with our driving/ownership experience and make sure that we document any problems we encounter.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    The reason many left the lux board (and it seems to have dried up since then) is that the Germanic heavy viewpoint over there wasn't ready for true debate on issues and fact. They could only accept homage to the Germanic deities of BMW and Benz. When presented with such facts as stated in the review above, which clearly showed where the Lexus was superior, they screamed foul and said we were being defensive. Mind you, none of us (that I recall) got personal or nasty, just tried to make some points that the Lexus was, indeed, superior in many areas (not all, but many). Unacceptable. The trumpet call became "where's the heritage, where's the prestige, etc". (Probably in the service department, along with their cars!). Value for money was considered heresy. Gee, I actually felt good about spending less for more. Guess I was wrong. So, many of us are here now. Still willing to share experiences, both good AND bad. Of course, so far, no bad experiences from me. And I hope it stays that way!
    I just re-read my post, and apologize for the rant. I guess I'm still a little miffed at the way honest posts by reasonable people like wbwynn, ljflx, denniswade and myself were nearly hounded off that board for daring to disagree. Even one of the "hosts" chimed in to defend the Benz. They should rename that discussion to "Defend the Benz". It's current name is deceiving.
    Damn, I did it again. Sorry
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You didn't ramble - just stated the facts perfectly as you always do.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    I guess all of you guys who left the luxury board are driving:
    -The car that is the best value
    -The car with the best features
    -The car with the best handling
    -The car with the best exterior
    -The car most fun to drive
    -The car everyone else envies
    It's too bad you are all so busy congratulating each other on how smart you are for buying the Lexus that there is no real discussion of the cars themselves.
    You might add the quietest, the most refined, the best sound system, the best ride, the most luxurious interior, the most trunk space and oh yes the one you left out that is the most important - the most reliable. I do feel that way about these points not necessarily about all of the ones you noted though. Now, Why does this bother you so much?
    It doesn't BOTHER me, I just enjoy reading/participating in discussions regarding the various vehicles, not about how intelligent everyone is (my wife drives an LS btw). I think all cars in this category have their redeeming features.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's not let anything get of hand here, okay? Let's just keep the focus on the vehicles.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    This is an LS board with over 800 posts....we can only say the same things so many times about the qualities of the LS430. Most of us own this car and have long tired of the comparison speak on the Luxury board...we are more into specifics of the LS experience now.

Always happy to answer questions...just don't need the trash talk.
    Why does anyone think that the Euro suspension option is being discontinued? Does the Adjustable ride and tranny settings make this redundant?
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    Feverhart,
    I didn't know about the Valentine 1 product. Is it that much better the a Passport? Also, can you buy it in a store or only on the web? I need something soon, but I want a clean installation.

Ljflx,
    Your right about the amount of troopers on NJ highways these days. It's odd, they pull up give the car a good look smile and move on.
    816: At least half the list is inaccurate, never said by me. I didn't congratulate anyone. And it was very much a discussion of the cars: value, features, reliability.
    818: I never discussed intelligence issues, again inaccurate. It was a discussion of my opinion of the cars - so, "enjoy" the discussion.
    819: I did "keep it about the cars" and I don't see where it is "out of hand" to disagree with others if done courteously. Unless you were referring to #'s 816 and 818. Then I might agree.
    Probably to everyone's great relief, I am done with this.
    I just called the Lexus customer satisfaction number in Cal. They say the custom luxury package will be available at dealerships in June at $8820. Now I need to decide if I want to wait or take my car now. I really would like park assist and laser cruise control. the rest is nice, but not anything I really care about. Do you think the Custom will go back to MSRP, or will the discounts for the other models be carried forward?

I've been going back to the start of this board to catch up (I've only been participating for a couple of weeks). It was informative and interesting to read the posts by ljflx, wbwynn, flint350 and others. It seems so many others went through the same S430/LS430 decision process I did. I found an early post about reprogramming the locks that was great. I intend to have that done before the car is delivered, there also was a referral to irontoad.com. They are a Lexus dealer (I think) who sells discounted parts and accessories over the web. They quote mats at $88 and up. I'm sure LS430 is up, but it seems a reasonable price to get a second set of mats for an Ecru interior. You could keep one set for dress and another for everyday, or just rotate them and clean the set that's out at your leasure.
  • bongerbonger Member Posts: 16
    I saw a "Custom Luxury" LS at my local dealership last week and another is to arrive this week.
    It was optioned with the custom luxury group, aniline leather, lexus link, chrome wheels, trunk mat, and wheel locks. This brought the price to nearly the ultra level. If you are wanting the "Custom Luxury", I would shop around as they are available.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I would also prefer the Custom over the Ultra package. I really don't need the rear-seat extras, but want the park assist. I have parktronic on my BMW and have come to rely on it in parking in tight places.

Re: Sport Suspension

The dealership in Orlando Florida has a Sport LS on their lot. Are you sure they are being discontinued. I have seen a few of them.
    Just so you know it I had moved past the S-430 and was actually comparing the S-500 to the LS430 in the end. The S-430 was noticably slower than the LS430 whereas the S-500 and the LS430 were nearly equal. But the LS430 beat the S-500 in the areas I really cared about and I couldn't get past the interior of the S-500. Also at that time there were numerous posts on the S-Class board about people who had just purchased the car and were complaining about defects that you simply never get with Lexus. One guy even had a dashboard that was making popcorn popping sounds (remember that wbwynn). I always knew I would regret not buying the Lexus had I gone with the S-class (either one). If I had went Mercedes I would never have wanted to sit in the Lexus. When you feel that way the decision becomes easy. The S-500 priced out $350 more per month than the LS430 on a lease or $20k more on purchase price based on the cars as I would have wanted them equipped. On a lease that meant nearly $14k after 3 years (interest effected). You could look at that savings as the first year or so of your next lease being prepaid. The money never really was the issue though. I simply felt the LS430 was a better car than the S-500 (again for my needs) and a much better car than the S-430. I preferred at that time, the exterior of the S (though from certain angles the thing looked like a Ford Taurus and has a back that reminds me of a Volvo) but I liked very much the stately look of the LS as well. So the exterior look was never relevant to me. Today I prefer the LS as the cars looks grow on you.

On the ecru interior and mats - when I brought the car back to the dealer on my first service they were able to get the leather and the mats back to brand new condition. This after a horrendous winter in New Jersey where snow was on the ground most of the time. So you may be over worried about this. For that really bad stretch of weather I took a few of those Lexus car care floor covers that they leave in your car after they service it and put them inside to prevent the mats from getting too dirty.
  • skip110skip110 Member Posts: 12
    The Custom Luxury that you saw at your local dealership; what color was the wood? I guess what I'm asking is, does the car have the ultra interior scheme, i.e. the gray [(ecru)wood or the bordeaus wood], or does the car have the wood scheme of the standard cars (golden birds-eye maple, Burled California walnut)?

The Custom Luxury is my package of choice. However I am finding it difficult to get complete, reliable and consistent information about what the Custom Luxury is and is not. Your response here would be very much appreciated.

Also what was the sticker on that car?
    Thanks for the input. I discussed my dilema with my salesman, and he showed me the new April residuals. There was a general drop in residuals from March, and no change to the money factor. The residual is also decreased incrementally 1% for Nav, Custom and Ultra (one of the first two steps may even be 2%). He was willing to cancel our deal and "roll the dice" on what a lease on a Custom might be later in the year. I'll stick with my original car because of the great deal ($5100 off MSRP)which they might not match on a custom, and because I have locked in the March residuals. Higher price+lower residual+less discount made it too many negatives for those options. Maybe next time I'll get laser cruise, park assist and some other goodies they haven't thought of yet. Anyone hear anything about the 2005 LS?

Ljflx -The S500 was out of my price range, so I didn't consider it. Reading your report that the LS even beat that car makes me more secure in the decision. I think we have similar preferences in what we want in a car. BTW I think you said you also got the car at Ray Catena. Was John F. your salesman? He said he sold a car to someone from Freehold that worked for Deutchse Bank. If I'm not confusing posters, I think that fit your bio.
    Not me - I bought at Catena but I'm in Colts Neck - Harvey is my guy and Catena is a fabulous dealership with best atmosphere of any car dealership I've ever been in. I do have a buddy high up in Deutsche bank though so maybe therein lies the confusion. You got a great deal - I don't think I've ever seen them give that large of a discount on any LS including the old model. By the way they are giving me a hell of a good deal on an LX470 but I'm not ready until June.
    Have owned both for several years & there is no comparison. Buy the Valentine!!! It is the only one that tells you what direction the radar is coming from & it is invisible to the cops detector detector. Any of the car mags have an add in them & you can call & order on their 800#.
    Hope so
  • uofmiamiuofmiami Member Posts: 19
    I recommend www.clublexus.com A lot of us are on there and there are some LS members too. I recommend checking it out.
    This no charge option(except for $100 more for better handling tires) was reccommended by most,if not all, of the initial articles in the car magazines. It is not a redundancy of the sport mode on the air suspension option which only affects the stock/normal shocks and springs. This option has beefier springs, shocks, and stabilizer bar with special suspension bushings for a better road feel,which I believe is more similar to BMW. Lexus is definitely not discontinuing this option, but only making it a factory order situation in certain parts of the country. This is understandable, because the traditional market for the LS series is a more Mercedes suspension/feel. For the "real driving enthusiast" who likes a full time Lexus/Mercedes/BMW combination, I believe this is the best choice as the car magazines do. Actually, I hope they do discontinue it, since it will make mine and other Euro-Sports more valuable in the long run to the market segment that appreciates it.
    My dealer called and they got another car they can deliver tomorrow - everything the same but the VIN. Mine will be Mystic Sea Opalescent/Ecru, Nav, MLev, LLink and standard suspension (I always though my MB's ride was a tiny bit harder than I liked, so I wasn't going out of my way to move closer in that direction with the European suspension). Your basic $61130 package. I take delivery at noon. They are crediting me an additional $380 for taking the car early, buying me out of my current lease. It seems that tomorrow is the last day of March for Lexus accounting purposes, and they wanted another sale in their record. Final price $55620.

I put ten refundable security deposits down ($7750) and got the lease at 764.91 through Lexus. The extra security deposits (2-10) reduce the money factor by .0001 each. Terms were: 42 mos/12K miles w/.15 per overmile (42 mos was because I wanted the lease to end at the beginning rather than 6 or 9 months into a model year), residual 56%, money factor .00210. It included luxury and 6% NJ sales tax. Outside the lease was a 450 acq. fee (0 disposition).

Ljflx - Your comments about local banks are still true, but other considerations tipped the scales towards a lexus lease for me. If I equalized the playing field as much as possible (backed the extra security deposits out), I could have gotten a little better deal from Hann than Lexus, but at more risk. Historically I have only really needed 10k/yr (27,500 on my current car after 35+ mos). Hann would have been $40/mo cheaper at 10k than a 12K Lexus lease. On the down side, they would want .35 per extra mile vice .15, and had a $450 disposition fee. If my situation changed and I ended up driving more miles I could get hammered with the Hann lease. I also think the manufacturers are more forgiving at turn in than the banks
    Being able to buy down the money factor with extra security was also a plus. I look at it as getting roughly a 15% tax-free return on that money. I know its a little less because I haven't adjusted for the tax writeoff part of a higher lease payment, but even if it's only 13% it's still a good deal. I figure at worst I paid a few bucks extra for 7K miles I may not use, and some extra protection if I go over that.

I'm sure I'll be waxing poetic about my new car in the next few days, that is if I ever get out and on the computer.
    I walked away from Haan as well but they did have the best lease deals. When I leased in 98 I also did a month end deal and did very well. Catena has those sales guys competing like crazy. He runs a great shop. Did you see his new service center about a mile south just off Rt.35? It's even nicer than the dealership with a virtual golf game and other entertainment items.But if the car is in for more than an hour or so they give you a loaner - usually an RX300. One of his top service guys is Wayne Gretzky's cousin and he looks something like Wayne. But don't expect any autographs. By the way they will probably send you a nice houseplant within a month of your taking the car and you'll get invites to events at the dealership. First class people. Good luck with the car.
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    Slexy,

You are 100% correct about the ES package on the LS. It was the best $100 I ever spent and I love the handling, but it did take over 4 months to get the car. I couldn't be happier that I pick the LS over the BMW 740il which was my other pick. I also hope they stop making the ES package as well.
    Thanks. I haven't been to the service area. The showroom is impressive and quite comfortable. If the service center is nicer, I could hang out there and maybe lose a few strokes.
    Got it!!

Had to go back to work though, so only had a chance to put 5 miles on. We went to the service area to get the lock sw changed (thanks to the posters for that hint). The service center is every bit as nice as I imagined based on your description. They also were a little surprised when I asked about Wayne Gretzky's cousin. I've told them to check out this board. It was a big help to me and certainly would do the same for others.

I'll report back (gushing I'm sure) after I've driven the car a few more miles.
  • swithrow2swithrow2 Member Posts: 41
    Okay...I am over my little stint with the Q45, while its a very nice car it doesnt have the little quality touches the LS430 has.

Now, I need to talk with someone who has a similar lease to what I am looking at. I think I'm going to skip the Ultra Luxury and go with a nav/lev car at about $61,500. I see people bargaining this car down to $55,000 which is great, how difficult is that to do? Also, if I can get some more information on the Custom Luxury car I may do that.

People with nav/lev cars, leased I need to know the specifics of your lease if you wouldnt mind. I was quoted $1200 a month with $5,000 down, and 20,000 miles a year. Thats a little out of line from what I've seen on here. I'd prefer 0 down to $5K also.

Thanks in advance for the help. If this goes smooth I should be in an LS430 by late May, early June.

-Stephen
  • trentpatrentpa Member Posts: 26
    Sounds like your LS430 is identical to the one I ordered (except for the suspension). I'll be anxious to hear your reports. For the life of me, though, I don't remember what the "lock sw" reference refers to. What's supposed to be changed?
  • bluex19bluex19 Member Posts: 10
    Recently, I purchased four Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus P225/60/16 97V tires for
    my 1995 LS400. Yesterday I noticed that three tires have 44 ax psi indication
    and one tire has 35 ax psi specified. Of course I use no more than 32 psi
    inflation but should I be concerned about varying ax psi indication? Should
    I complain to the dealer? By the way, the 35 ax psi tire was made about
    1.5 years ago and the other tires were made more recently. If you purchased
    these tires recently for your LS400, what is the ax psi indicated on your tires?
  • bluex19bluex19 Member Posts: 10
    Recently, I purchased four Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus P225/60/16 97V tires for
    my 1995 LS400. Yesterday I noticed that three tires have 44 max psi indication
    and one tire has 35 max psi specified. Of course I use no more than 32 psi
    inflation but should I be concerned about varying max psi indication? Should
    I complain to the dealer? By the way, the 35 max psi tire was made about
    1.5 years ago and the other tires were made more recently. If you purchased
    these tires recently for your LS400, what is the max psi indicated on your tires?
  • fabtfabt Member Posts: 22
    I got my LS430 with Nav/Lev AND CHROME WHEELS for $55,100; so you are in the ballpark for your car.
    I live in Southern California, I don't know if region affects price.
    I bought mine, no lease, so I can't help you there.
  • bongerbonger Member Posts: 16
    The custom luxury I saw was black on black with the Bordeaux birds-eye maple. This wood is red, almost a blood red. To me it didn't look like the sample in the Lexus Brochure - not unattractive just different. The custom luxury will be the same as the ultra without the back seat limo stuff. The sticker was Base $54005, Custom luxury $8820, Aniline leather $2105, Lexus link 1215, Chrome wheels $1800, Trunk mat $66, Wheel locks $59. Unfortunately I didn't write down the total and think shipping may have to be added.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I just did 39 months thru Lexus Financial with zero down on MSRP of $61230. I paid $58675....12,000 miles per year; Money factor was .0033 and residual was 57%; monthy payment of $992. No disposition fee.

I'm in North Carolina, and we are not seeing these big California discounts. The cars are still "demand tight" here. A lot of buyers are still paying close to list for Nav-Lev models. Money rates and residuals are regionalized (as per Lexus Financial). I think that the residuals are beginning to drop in April....maybe a drop in rates will offset this.

Hope this helps...it's a great car.

Glad to see you're off the Q45 too!
  • slal1slal1 Member Posts: 1
    $55.1K sounds like an incredible price. Where did you get it?
  • jninojnino Member Posts: 1
    I own one of each, so I have a very fair view on this competitive issue. A couple of weeks ago, I was invited by Infiniti to attend the Infiniti Q45 Zero to Infiniti event at the Homestead Motor Sports speedway here in Miami, FL. This Sunday, April 8th, you can check out the track by viewing the Infiniti Grand Prix of Miami of ABC. Anyways, this event was very exciting! I, and a friend of mine, were able to drive the new 2002 Infiniti Q45 around the inner track, which is formula 1 like with curves and such. And we were allowed to drive hard, testing the vehicle in braking, straightaway acceleration, cornering, etc. I topped 100mph easy a number of times. You were even able to ride with a professional driver who did hot laps on the main oval track at speeds of excess fo 125mph! I was extremely impressed with the Q45. Infiniti must be very determined with the capabilities of its car, as there are many liabilities involved with the hot laps. Infiniti also let us test competing vehicles...the Lexus LS430, Jag, BMW 540i, Benz E430, etc. I honestly think that Infiniti has finally got it right. WHAT A CAR!!! It easily has the fastest acceleration times. The handling is simply incredible. Perhaps only the 540 handled like the Q45. The Lexus had way too much of a Cadillac ride. You couldn't feel the road. I guess it is all a matter of taste. I found the Q45 to have the best acceleration (which it does), tie for best handling with the 540, best cornering, best braking, and best interior amenities and accomodations. And it was the least expensive model on the track. Perhaps the only department in which the Q45 didn't demolish the competition was in its awful trunk! It is quite small for such a grand car. It reminded me plenty of the room in my 97 J30, and not of the room in my RX300. Otherwise, the Q45 is the best vehicle in this price group, hands down! And with a sticker costing thousands less, I think Lexus is in trouble with its LS430. It is overpriced and just can't compete with what Infiniti has to offer with its Q45. With the new Q45, a G20 replacement coming in October to compete with the IS, and an all new SUV coming in February, this just might be the initial displacement of the throne.
    Try to stay away from putting money down on a lease unless you have to. Leases were created with 0 down in mind. Lexus historically gives you a high interest rate on large security deposits so if you want to part with up-front cash that's the way to go. At least that way you know you'll get your money back. That Q45 looked awesome on paper - what turned you off about it. I hope Infiniti makes it. They seem to have some good concept cars lined up and they make very reliable cars. But I disagee with jnino - Lexus is in a higher league and will debut a v-12 before too much longer.

I am seeing a lot of LS430's on the Garden State Parkway here in NJ but for the first time I had one directly behind me today. Denniswade may think the headlights look goofy (as per his posts on other boards) from the sideview but the car is absolutely awesome in your rear-view mirror.
    I see you are making things interesting on Arcoates board. Keep it lively over there. The other lux board is as quiet as an LS430 interior these days.
  • swithrow2swithrow2 Member Posts: 41
    Oh I always have leased with $0 down, Lexus just quoted me that lease at $5,000 down which was rediculous.

As for the Q, I still like it and am still considering it. Its a unique car.
    I also took that comparison test drive at a major motor speedway. The Q is a nice car, but the test was rigged against the LS which did not have the 2 sport suspension options available while the Q had sport suspension. As for the price, Lexus has always held its value better for many reasons. If you read the latest issue of Automobile Magazine, you will see the first indication that the Q may not be built as well as the LS. Only time will tell, but overall repair costs do affect resale value for any car. Will history repeat itself?
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Someone's got to be a catalyst :-)