Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    When logged in, go up to the top of the screen and click on "My Profile", then go into your profile and enter you country that you live in. The appropriate flag will begin to appear after you have logged off and then back in again.
  • Options
    torreystorreys Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market of buying a great used LS400 and I'm doing some research but I see that there have been some problems with the LCDs. My uncle purchased a '92 LS alst summer and it seems to have the same LCD problem. What I really want to know is "Are there any major engine problems with either of the model year I'm looking for"? Any help you all can give me is greatly appreciated.

I've found a '92 with 134K and it seems to be in great shape. The dealer told me that he has all the maint. paperwork for any repairs done to the car so that is a good sign, right? Help.
  • Options
    wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I am taking delivery of my Silver/Light Charcoal LS430 Friday at Noon; I will be in touch with you and the board on my impressions.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I was again getting worried about you. Glad to see you back in action on the luxury board. I was surprised no one picked up on your Taurus comment. So you agreed with me afterall. It's funny now that I'm driving (and loving the cars everyday - but I now wish I had gotten the nav on the Pine car though the base stereo is damm good)I find myself most attracted to the MB E class, GS430's and the LS430 on the road not the S. Just the other day my wife looked over at an S-500 and said she much preferred the LS430 design. I did see a taurus next to the S again today and am starting to think MB copied the base style. They seem to have the same shape.

Did you get the car discounted? Good luck tommorrow. I almost feel that I'm in this thing with you.

By the way look out for LS430 drivers - A guy driving one cut me off in the rain today. They are some of the most aggressive drivers out there. Watch your speed - this car is very fast and very quiet.
  • Options
    bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    > look out for LS430 drivers ... They are some of the most aggressive drivers out there.

What sample size are we talking about? :-) There's so few LS's on the road.

And if you want to start talking about aggressive drivers, how about BMW drivers!?
  • Options
    bongerbonger Member Posts: 16
    How does the cooled seats work? Do you have to have the perforated inserts in the seats with it? The "Custom Luxury Selection" indicates that it has heated & cooled front seats but has no mention of any special leather surfaces. My dealer (in Indy) says he has a couple of Custom Luxury models and they are configured 2 ways. The cheaper, configured as listed in the brochure, is stickered at 62935. I have an appt. next week to test drive one.
    Any word as to what Lexus is doing about the cell phone problem?
  • Options
    skip110skip110 Member Posts: 12
    What are the two configurations for the Custom Luxury? And what are there respective prices.
  • Options
    barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    Yes, you have to have the perforated leather for cooled seats. It's the same leather that's in the Ultra Luxury. There's a fan in the seat that actually blows air through the perforations. I think I read in my manual that there is a filter in the seat that needs changing periodically.

The dark leather (black and bordeaux) aniline is more expensive than the light leather (ecru).

I gave up waiting for the Custom Luxury and bought an Ultra instead. Does the more expensive Custom Lux that you mentioned have the air suspension option? Do they have the 17" chrome wheels? I'm glad to hear the Custome Lux is now available. I haven't heard anything about the phone.
  • Options
    pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    In little over 3 weeks I have 1000 miles on my new LS.This has also included a 400 miles trip to Greensboro NC at an average speed of 70mph with fuel consumption of 24.6mpg.The performance..A+.The Navigation system was so accurate I was able to reach my destination without hassle.Levinson System...Awesome.
    During the spring of 1989, the Chairman of Toyota Motor Corporation in his introductory video of 1990 LS 400 said that in mid 1980's he had challenged 100 top engineers and designers to design and build a world class sports sedan of highest quality and reliability which out performed its European rivals in ride and handling.It was his opinion that the challenge was met.The automotive world agreed,of course there were and there are skeptics.Now with this 3rd generation of just introduced LS is going to shake up the German rivals.Ihave owned MBs for last 2 decades and still have 2 in my family.I would have bought a S 500 if an LS430 was not available.Will keep you posted.....
  • Options
    You should post that on the luxury board.
  • Options
    You should post that on the luxury board.

bitkahuna - thought that post on the country luxury board was spectacular. In NJ I am seeing many LS430's on the road and these people, including myself, drive fast. I've settled back into using the cruise control whenever I can to hold down my speed. The problem is the car does 70 so effortlesly and is begging for more. You don't even hear the engine accelerate. I find BMW 5-series drivers very aggressive and Lexus GS drivers are also very aggressive as are the prior
    generation S-classe drivers. My observations are from driving a month and I would'nt weight my sample and sell it to an insurance company. They'd laugh me out of town. By the way I'm in the information business and understand statistical sanmpling as well as anyone.

wbwynn - Did you get the car?
  • Options
    flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    If pai7 takes your advice ljflx, and posts his comments over there, I hope he is ready to fall immediately on his sword for heresy. They seem to be getting more and more defensive and aggressive over there - dissecting every word and name-calling, etc. But, I love a good fight - especially when armed with the facts.
    On a side note, I was taking my wife out for a birthday lunch (Inn at Perry Cabin - exquisite) so went by the dealer for a wash. While I was there, I got to see my 1st SC430. Quite an impressive machine. The nav and radio systems are each concealed behind a gorgeous wood panel that automatically opens to display them when you insert the key. Classy. Of course, I'm sure our Benz buddies would rather pay more for less so they can carry all that status to the bank! (just a joke if any of you Benzaholics are lurking here!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words. Once in a while the creative urges kick in... usually late at night. I like writing, can you tell? :)

I'm not even an LS owner - I have a GS400 and my wife has an RX300 (our first Lexus vehicles) - and we've become convinced of how good Lexus is compared to other brands. My wife doesn't like to spend much on cars, but she *loves* her RX300, just as I love my GS400.

I sat in an S500 recently at the Atlanta auto show, and then in an LS430... there's just no comparison in level of comfort and how pleasing the Lexus visual and tactile feedback is.

Mercedes had some flat shiny black plastic around the center console that look awful. I've seen better in a Lincoln.

Mind you, I don't expect Mercedes to give up to Toyota... I'm sure they read all the comments they can find, which is why it's so wonderful for the consumer. I expect the 'refresh' to the S-Class will be wonderful. They know they can't rely just on 'died-in-the-wool' Mercedes fans. Because sooner or later they will all have died - lol.
  • Options
    We have great teammates. Somehow through all this we've become friends.
  • Options
    Took delivery today....WOW!!!

Can even think much now, but first impression was how unbelievably quiet at all speeds. I'm LS manual reading tonight and watching the NCAAs cause I just love all this tech!!

My saleman would have spent all day with me, but I let him off the hook....I like discovering everything myself. I'll be back on the board with more thoughts when I can make some more intelligent comments.

WOW!!
  • Options
    I love the exterior....people WILL get out of your way...I like that

and the speed....ljflx, as you have said, you do have to be careful. It's not the rocket that the GS430 is, but it's plenty for me.

Later
  • Options
    Because it only gets better. Wouldn't you say so flint350? Now one day you have to take the car from Charlotte over to highway 17 on the ocean and see how great the ocean shows up on the nav system. Continue on down 17 to you cross the state line to one of my favorite restaurants in Little River S.C. - Parsons Table or go a little further down to New York Prime in Myrtle - a great steak house if there ever was one. I think I just talked myself into going back to Myrtle Beach. Maybe someday we'll have a toast to our cars down there. Good luck friend.
  • Options
    Now do you understand why when I needed an unexpected second car I didn't have much choice given that I can easily afford it and had negotiated a great auto allowance anyway. I couldn't possibly resist that pine car, particularly after my wife claimed the silver car as hers. If you are going to drive decent miles everyday you might as well drive the best. The SC430 looks like a wonderful toy though. By the way I test drove the LX470 recently. Wonderful truck - rides like the old LS400. My landcruiser lease is up soon and dealer just told me he'd give me truck at $20 more a month than Toyota quoted for the cruiser and only $40 more than I'm paying today. Looks like three Lexuses for me - I must have three rows of seats (long story) and my wife won't drive anything too big. Otherwise I'd get the Navigator.

The exterior of the car is very stately and as I noted to you the other day it grows on you more and more. I always liked it in the first place anyway. These days I think the S only looks good in silver or black.
  • Options
    On my earlier post I meant we have great teamates for any fight and I'm always ready for one to. We've always had wbwynn but now the man is armed and very dangerous. But I'll tell you this those guys on that board just don't get it. They read praises for the LS430 as an attack on their cars ability or a defense of your purchase. And of course it's the ultimate sin to say that something is better than their beloved brand. Incredible! Some of those guys have never driven an S or an LS430 - all their knowledge is based on reading predjudiced mag articles. On the other hand we've driven all the cars. By the way not only have I yet to see your color anywhere but in the pix you posted but my dealer said he's never taken delivery of one. I wonder why Lexus made so few black cherries.
  • Options
    Regarding MB fans who don't think much of an LS, for many it's much more of an emotional thing than a rational one. You won't convince them.

My in-laws contine to buy Cadillacs because as senior citizens that has always been their dream car. No amount of explaining to them that there's more appropriate, reliable, or plain better transportation for them will change their mind.

Give it up, and enjoy your ride. :-)
  • Options
    slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    Great car with no problems so far! I was lucky in not getting the car phone system, and appreciate an old post to the lexus ls topic recommending the $60 Navigator Plus hands free car phone system(sold at Best Buy). It stores in the center console nicely when not in use, and is not in the way of anything or anybody when in use. It will work with most cell phones with no wires or brackets that look out of place. The sound quality is not as good as the factory lexus system, but sufficient in such a quiet car. My only concern about the car from the start is the light colored ecru interior that can show dirt easier than a dark color. I have put on sheepskin covers from Colorado Sheepskin Co.(1-800-392-WOOL) in "pearl" color that look great while protecting from soil and intense heat from the sun( $239 includes shipping). I do suggest you let the dealer do the installation for a great fit that doesn't move. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has any tips on improving this already great car.
  • Options
    I think bitkahuna is probably right- we should give it up, at least in its current context. I sometimes get a little peeved at the one-sided nature of the MB arguments, but we'll never convince them. One guy over there routinely criticizes about bold statements, then goes on to say things like "I defy anyone to disagree" or "that is utterly stupid", etc. etc. Only his personal viewpoint is acceptable. I believe he was the same one who said the LS430 is a Deville from the front and an Avalon from the back! I was THIS close to getting my digital camera and going in search of both cars to take side by side photos with mine for a small post, but decided it wouldn't change his mind nor be worth the effort, given his zealous nature. Besides, denniswade (I think) dressed him down pretty good and accurately. Ah well, let's just enjoy our cars (us AND them) and remember to wave to them as you pass their dealership's service department. :-)
  • Options
    Agreed. But there is a post over there that has you and wbwynn mixed up. Let's all sign off over there. What do you think wbwynn?
  • Options
    gmcggmcg Member Posts: 5
    I’I beginning my research on the AS 430. Plan to buy in late summer ’01 in Northern CA. I find the packages and dealers confusing and hope that one of you may be able to help me out.

I’ I've watched the video, spoke to multiple dealers and poured through the brochure. Seems different packages are shipped to the various regions and some options are not available until spring ’01 [which by my guess is right about now].

What I would like to price and buy is the Custom Luxury Selection (CALLS) with Adaptive Variable Air Suspension and nexus Link. Or put differently, the Ultra Luxury Selection without the Rear Seat Luxury Group. Preferred color would be the crystal white with ivory interior.

I’I attempting to get answers to the following questions: (1) Is this combination is available in Northern CA? (2) Is there a published price for the CALLS? (3) Has anyone on the board recently bought an AS in Northern CA? (4) Are any dealers in Northern CA discounting? (5) Is my desired combination available outside of CA? (6) Has anyone purchased a AS outside CA and brought it back to CA? (7) If yes, what are the tax and registration consequences?

I welcome all advice, opinions and recent buying experiences.
  • Options
    I can see by my post that I have not master the spell check feature of this board. I don't know why or where the numbers that were inserted came from? Does anyone? This is a test. Here is the post again without the spell check feature.

I'm beginning my research on the LS 430. Plan to buy in late summer 2001 in Northern CA. I find the packages and dealers confusing and hope that one of you may be able to help me out.

I've watched the video, spoke to multiple dealers and poured through the brochure. Seems different packages are shipped to the various regions and some options are not available until spring 2001 [which by my guess is right about now].

What I would like to price and buy is the Custom Luxury Selection (CLS) with Adaptive Variable Air Suspension and nexus Link. Or put differently, the Ultra Luxury Selection without the Rear Seat Luxury Group. Preferred color would be the crystal white with ivory interior.

I’m attempting to get answers to the following questions: (1) Is this combination is available in Northern CA? (2) Is there a published price for the CLS? (3) Has anyone on the board recently bought an LS in Northern CA? (4) Are any dealers in Northern CA discounting? (5) Is my desired combination available outside of CA? (6) Has anyone purchased a LS outside CA and brought it back to CA? (7) If yes, what are the tax and registration consequences?

I welcome all advice, opinions and recent buying experiences.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Usually those symbols appear when folks use Microsoft Word to compose a post off-line. Using a plain-text editor like Notepad will avoid that.

OTOH, if you typed your message into the post box and the spell check did that to you, then I am mystified - the spell check "feature" is certainly, ah, tricky but I've never seen it do that. (It is indeed capable of mangling posts in all kinds of ways, though!)

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I did compose off line. I'll still need to work on the spell check feature.
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw that post. It's just another desperate attempt to invalidate the opinion of someone else by implying that person is lying about having bought a car. Pathetic. On the other hand, I improved my day and my attitude by taking a ride and finding (actually the nav system found) a previously unknown Italian restaurant for lunch. It was good and when the staff asked who recommended them, I said my Lexus!
  • Options
    cul8tercul8ter Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 LX470 and an LS430. DVD's can only be played in the LX470. The six disc changer in the LX470 is a DVD changer that has the ability to play CD's. Whereas the changer in the LS430 is a CD changer that does NOT have the ability to play DVD's. I have watched several movies in my LX and they look and sound great. As for the sound, you have a choice of Dolby Digital Surround and regular Dolby Surround in several languages. You cannot watch the movie unless the car is in park and the ignition is on ACC. Once you turn the key to ON, you can only hear the sound from the DVD. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    hayabusahayabusa Member Posts: 26
    Can you mix and match stuff from the ultra luxury? Like the leather dashboard and stuff, or the rear seat luxury stuff? My mom (is it a woman's car?) is thinking about switching from a RX 300 to a LS 430. Not a 100% sure, because she also likes the higher ride of an SUV. Second choice is the LX 470. I drove the LS 430 head to head against an S430 2 weeks ago. The LS 430 is just so smooth. Everything works so smooth. The S 430 isn't bad either.
  • Options
    According to Edmund's tmv the car is now being discounted $3,300 from list price ON AVERAGE. This is very much at odds from what my dealer told me. He says they are still charging full list to maybe a $2000 discount for their best customers. Someone that I deal with professionally in the Hudson river valley of New York just purchased car at a $1,200 discount with a lot of negotiating back and forth. Has anyone gotten the car this much off list? Maybe this recession is kicking in afterall.
  • Options
    Rear seat goodies in ultra luxury package only come with that package. Everything else can be had separately I believe. 'Custom Luxury' package is everything but the rear seat goodies.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    I don't know about other parts of the country, but new LS430s with Levinson, Link, etc (with MSRP around $62K) are going out-the-door in the Riverside (east of L.A. about an hour) area at least $3K discount and sometimes a $4K discount from list. My salesperson at Lexus of Riverside is Cory Williamson; tell him Jeff Must sent you 'cause I'll be getting another vehicle from him late this year unless the stock market tanks the last 50%...

Good luck.

JM
  • Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I'm making an offer tomorrow. I have a 98 MB E320 now, and looked at the S430. I just couldn't see the difference in the $ for the MB. They're both great cars, but the features in the LS won me over. The dealer offered me a NAV/Mark Levinson ($61130 MSRP) for 56100 (less if I take delivery before my current lease expires). I'm going to counter at 56 even and a few included service visits. Sounds like he's giving me a good deal.
  • Options
    take it and run....!
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Since the ls has "drive by wire" some of you and myself think the downshifts are slow. perhaps the dealer can reprogram the trans and engine for quicker downshifts. has anyone asked the dealer if this is possible?
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Nofeer, I don't know what options you got, I got the UltraLux and it has a switch that says SPORT on one end and NORM on the other. My understanding was that it does exactly what you are asking for, although when I experimented with it a little I couldn't really tell any difference. But I drive with a pretty light foot anyway.
  • Options
    denise35denise35 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone notice that Lexus somehow scents the outside of the LS 430? Ours had a distinct pine scent that I could smell for the first couple of weeks when it was in the garage.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I tried the switch it seems to hold upshifts longer for higher RPM, but i'm talking about when i put my foot down it should "JUMP" second or third but it seems to hang a bit then downshift. I wanted quicker downshifts so when i pass in city traffic it will hussle a bit more. Now i can manually do this but i was just wondering. someone else brought up the "slow downshifts" on an earlier post, so i felt the same and just feeling out the ability of lexus to "reprogram" this aspect of the trans.
  • Options
    Happy to hear about the discounts in CA. I assume they will continue as the economy slows down.

I also assumed that the the Custom Lux was the Ultra without the rear seat extras. Is it also minus the Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVAS)?

Would like to hear about any success in actually being able to purchase an LS with the Custom Lux package including the AVAS or by adding the AVAS as a separte option.
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Does anyone know how much of a difference the sport suspension makes? I have a BMW 750il and am thinking of trading on a LS430. I have driven the Ultra and base models. Unfortunately, my dealership is 60 miles from me.

What functions does the voice command control? I neglected to ask the salesman during the test drive.
  • Options
    sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    We test drove an ultra-lux and it felt "different" from our '98 LS400. Heavier and more pillowy is how I would describe it. We now own an LS430 with sport suspension and are thrilled with it. Our '98, through most of its life, had Michelin Pilot MXM's on it. These gave it a firmer ride and crisper steering than the stock Dunlops. The sport suspension feels a lot like the '98 with MXM's without as much sacrifice in ride quality. While we can't exactly put our finger on it, the 430 has been noticeably more relaxing to drive than the 400, although we didn't think that could be possible. (We have completed our 1000 mile break-in in two and a half weeks, thanks to four 200-mile excursions.) All-in-all, I would guess that the sport suspension makes the 430 more BMW-like in handling. (I have never driven a 700-series BMW, but I have driven a 540i.)
  • Options
    I'm also coming from the 98 LS400 and have same exact feeling as you. The 400 is a great car and the 98 handled decently but the new 430 has a tightened ride and much crisper handling to me and I didn't even get the euro suspension. Yet somehow the ride and interior quietness has been improved. The interior of course is another story - what an improvement. I am astounded they held the price the same but somewhere I read that they have fined tuned their production to make a profit at 80 or 85 yen to the dollar. Given the yen is quite a bit higher they are making a ton of money even though they give us so much more car for the same price. Enjoy the car - it's great. By the way I never had any problem with the 98 car - how about you.
  • Options
    Took your advice. I'm done with the luxury board at least with the current discussion format. I certainly think we livened up that thing though. Flint - you should have let your dealer leave the tip at that Italian restaurant.

wbwynn - impressions?
  • Options
    sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    No problems except for check engine light the first day we had it. Replaced computer. Had it for 49,200 miles.
  • Options
    Only we Lexus owners would list that as a problem. I bet the dealer apologized 10 times for your inconvenience. It's incredible how reliable this car is.
  • Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I just signed for a ML/NAV/LLink (61130). Got it for 56000. the dealer was also willing to pay my current months lease pro rata (on my current car) if I took delivery before 4/23 @ $20 per day. Based on this board and the Edmunds TMV I'm thrilled with the deal. They let me have a demo car from Sat eve until this AM, and I can't wait for mine. I'm getting the ecru interior. I read a prior post about sheepskin covers. I don't really want to go that route. has anyone encountered any serious problems with the ecru? I can still change colors.
  • Options
    The ecru will tend to get dirty more easily because it is so bright. But it is a very luxurious interior color and the wood it is matched with makes it stand out even more. I wouldn't hesitate about it as long as you like that combo and how it looks with the exterior color. In my case it's with millenium silver.
  • Options
    I too wanted Custom Luxury, but I got tired of waiting. I understand it's now available for MSRP of $8,820 if memory serves (or is it $8,420?). (I'm sure someone will correct me.)

By the time you add Air Suspension (one month ago Lexus was unable to give me a definate price on Air Suspension as an individual option--in other words it was not yet available individually--only on Ultra) and Lexus Link, I believe you're within approximately $4,000 of an Ultra. Ultras may be easier to come by than Customs at this time; therefore, you may be able to get a better discount on an Ultra. That's what happened to me. I had an Ultra shipped to me from Knoxville (650 miles). I had never purchased from out of state before, but it was very easy. They took care of everything, all the paperwork. I think that you could find your desired combination outside of CA.

My theory is that in states like CA and NY, there are lots of rich people willing to pay big bucks, so why should they discount? In addition, my small local dealership only gets two Ultras each month with a waiting list of about three months, so the most they will discount is $2,500 ($2,000 if you're not a previous customer). The answer for me was to buy from a big dealership that gets lots of cars with big turnover. I negotiated a discount of $4,285 almost a month ago.
  • Options
    From a woman's point of view: I think your mom would love the LS 430. It's like a beautifully decorated home. The luxurious inside would appeal to any woman. In my opinion the LS 430 has a high ride, higher than Cadillacs anyway. She needs to drive one and experience it for herself. The Ultra is a heavier car which may also appeal to her, since she seems to be prone to SUVs. I was vacationing at a small spa at Hilton Head, SC in October, where two of the women from CA each had a new Ultra. (I didn't get to see the cars because they flew in.) But the point is their husbands bought them these cars, and they love them, the cars and husbands both!