Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    karl7777karl7777 Member Posts: 12
    I almost bought a base Sonata 4AT, with sunroof, ABS and Traction control.

However, I noticed that in the shiny 2003 Sonata brochure it lists ABS w/TC as "N/A" on a base vehicle. Yet the salesperson wrote up the offer as including that.

What's going on? Is the brochure wrong? Is the salesperson wrong (or lying)?

Is there any way for me to even tell if the car has TC?

thanks!
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The base Sonata is available with ABS, but not with traction control. You have to get a higher trim line to get the optional TC.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    what exactly are the "true" engine specs for the V6 Sonata? HP? Torque, and when does it come on? This engine has been around for what, 3 or 4 years now? Any known issues at low OR high mileage?

Mom LOVES the look of the car - I must admit it looks nice in dark blue. the front of the car with the chrome accents on the bumper and the nice headlights is quite striking. she is coming out of a V6 96 Grand Am with about (seriously) 270k highway miles. no problems until now.

is a V6 Sonata a safe buy for long term usability? is it as "torquey" as a GM V6?

thanks!
  • Options
    The Sonta V6 makes 170 hp at 6k rpms and 181 pound feet of torque at 4k rpms. The 2.5 liter V6 has been around since 1999. The current 2.7 liter is simply a larger version of the same engine, first debuting on the Sante Fe. It should be a reliable car for the long-term, but whether it would up to 270k is debatable. Hyundai hasn't proven itself up to that mileage yet. I would not describe the Sonata as having the torquey feel of a pushrod GM V6. Its power characteristics more closely resemble those of the 626, Camry, and Accord; higher rpms nets better acceleration to a certain degree.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    In addition to lngtonge18's good advice, pick up the just-out Consumer Reports New Car Preview 2003 (to add to your research). CR is now recommending the Sonata and Santa Fe, both of which are demonstrating above average reliability. Grand Am has been consistently below average, so if Mom can wring out such good mileage from a GM product, she could do it with almost anything (my personal best is 227K).
  • Options
    ruleof72ruleof72 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to ring in concerning a couple of subjects I have seen on this board. Those would be the engine horsepower ratings and headroom/moonroof issues.

Please don't take this as being arrogant, but didn't you test-drive the car before buying it? To me it doesn't matter what the factory says the HP's are, if the car accelerates adequately when it is driven, then the numbers are just numbers.

And at 6'2", I recognized within five minutes of my test-drive that I was not buying a model with the moonroof, no matter how much my wife wanted me to! If it made me uncomfortable in the test-drive, I could only imagine what it would do to me over the next 10 years.

BTW, I've had my 2002 base 4-cyl automatic for 3 weeks now, and I am very satisfied. Looks great, feels good driving it, plenty of room for the family, and no problems as of yet.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    yes, Mom has been really lucky about the Grand Am high mileage. so if the old engine was 2.5 at 170hp, and the 2.7 is bigger? what is the point of the new engine?

thanks.
  • Options
    goodtime11367goodtime11367 Member Posts: 10
    I am now at 1800 miles and I achieved an all time low of 16.5 mpg. How can it be getting worse. I was averaging aroung 18mpg. I went to Koeppel Hyundai in LI city for an oil-x and there scanners detected nothing wrong. The service manager said that he used to take a demo 2003 Sonata (V6) to upstate Ny and got very poor mileage (whether it was as bad as mine I don't know), and he had to switch to an Elantra for the MPG. My question is are there any Sonata users getting this bad mileage or is my car just a gas hog? My driving habits are moderately (not extremely) heavy and about 60/40 city/hwy.
  • Options
    Hyundai made a boo-boo in hp ratings. The 2.5 liter really only made 163 horses. So, the 2.7 does make more power, with the most noticeable gain being more torque.
  • Options
    karl7777karl7777 Member Posts: 12
    I might buy a Sonata from a dealer that's too far away to take my car for regular maintenance.

Can I get ALL the maintenance and repairs done at non-Hyundai dealers? What happens is there's a major problem? Does the original dealer have a say or is it just between the repair shop and Hyundai?

Relatedly, there a Kia dealer near me. Would that be a good choice for repairs and maintenanceon the Sonata?

thanks

p.s. I would have posted this on the Maintenance and Repairs board but there are only 2 postings there.
  • Options
    Warranty repairs would have to be done by a Hyundai dealer. Non-warranty repairs and regular maintenance can be done anywhere.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I would imagine the Kia dealer would be just fine for maintenance for your Sonata since it is the mechanical twin of thier Optima.
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Hyundai went a step beyond Toyota and Honda (even a tiny bit furthur than the new 2003 Saturn L Series and new 2002 Altima) with their new for 2002 Sonota. It also offers plenty of room, a great warrenty, lots of desirable features, and a great price. With leather and a 6-disc in-dash cd changer, it has an MSRP of only about $18,000. You can buy it, however, for around $12,000 due to hefty discounts. Don't buy a mid-size sedan without test-driving this over-achiever.
  • Options
    ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    Hey Guys...

We have a 2000 Sonata GL V6 and we currently have 58,000+ Kms on our car. We haven't had a single problem so far but about a month ago we ran into this dumb problem that the dealer can't seem to fix. The "Check Engine" light comes on and it just won't go away. Plus, the dealers are a$$es and they gave us alot of problems. Luckily, we managed to get someone from the headquarters in Toronto to clean up the rude behaviour from the dealer (now the dealer is very nice to us).... so far the dealer has replaced about every sensor in our car and even replaced some $600 computer but no luck so far... have any of you guys had this kind of problem? It's been a month and it's becoming a nuisance...any help would be greatly appreciated
    thx... Steve from Toronto
  • Options
    mike_johns2000mike_johns2000 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Sonata that has a very aggravating rattle in the front end. It has been in the shop four times for repair, but they have not been able to find it. The dealer called in the factory representative who told me that all 2002 Sonatas have a similar rattle. I would like know if this is true or if they just don't want to go through with finding out what is wrong and fixing it.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    ai3xskc... With the modern OBD II systems the emission control systems are highly monitored. That includes the fuel filler area. You have to be very careful when fueling up and putting the fuel filler cap back on. If you aren't, often the Check Engine Light comes on. This doesn't just afflict Hyundais. Everything from BMWs to Toyotas.

When your light comes on, you can open up the fuel filler, like you were going to fuel, but then just put the cap back on tightly and properly. Then drive for a while to see if the light goes out. Might take one trip or a couple days. Or just add more fuel and put the cap back on properly. This appears to work about 95 percent of time.

But if your light won't go off no matter what you and the dealer are doing, then there is something more going on. Good luck finding your problem. But remember, this light coming on doesn't mean there is anything seriously wrong with the car, its engine or driveability. Mainly an irritating warning light lit up on the dashboard.
  • Options
    ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    thx riez for your reply.

yeah we've tried tightening the cap cuz I've read from many forums about this problem and unfortunately no luck.... I'm not exactly sure what to do cuz the warranty on Hyundais in Canada is upto 60K and well we're very close to the limit. Anyway all I know is that when we finish fixing this thing, our car is gonna have many new parts that would need replacing in the long run. Now I wish they would just give us the new 2003 Sonata.... I have to say that the new Sonata is a lot nicer than ours in terms of looks and I've noticed that the Sonata has won the J.D. Powers APEAL award... impressive. Anyway I'll let you guys know what happens to this problem.. thanks!!

Steve
  • Options
    astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    Have the 02 sensors been replaced. These are usually the culprits. I believe the current engine has four of them.
  • Options
    cholliechollie Member Posts: 17
    We have a 2002 SONATA V6 with 24,000 kms. on it.
    No squeaks,no rattles. Quieter than our old HONDA. Make sure your complaint is documented.
  • Options
    tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    The dealers here in Florida that I bought a Sonata and Elantra from ( 2 diff dealers) have removed the plastic tether to the gas cap. Actually I didnt know they came with em.

They claim that the tether design is such that it gets between the cap and the filler neck and causes it to not seal well, thus acting liek a cap is not on tight.

This is just a thought I felt needed to be shared.

Good luck
  • Options
    mom21mom21 Member Posts: 2
    Bought 2002 ruby red entry v-6 Sonata for my seventeen year old daughter,or I should say she bought it and is making the payments.
    With a little over three thousand miles on it it is in the shop. I hope this isn't the beginning vision of what is yet to come. The trunk leaked, the check engine light came on, lights brighten and dim just a little while driving and the remote door and trunk control is contrary. Oh yes and the heater fan was chewing itself up one night throwing black specks all over the dash. Mileage is about 19-20 MPG. A long way down from what her Honda Civic got.

I must say the car does turn heads. It was fun pulling into the GM dealership and seeing how many salesman got up from their desks, stood at the door and pointed at it. She had looked at a Grand Am, but they were to lazy to walk out and help us or as I suspect figured we weren't worth it. I got the same thing from the Ford dealership. The Hyundai dealership has been wonderful and held up to their promise of a loaner vehicle. Something I never got from Ford even though I bought the most expensive SUV on the lot (an Excursion).

The loaner is a new Sonata with less than a thousand miles and the windshield washer fluid doesn't work, even filled it up since it is hard to see tonight because of the snow and all the salt on the roads.
    I hope these jitters I have been having are just the road conditions and nothing else.
    Mom21
  • Options
    Thanks for the response chollie, I am going to try to document as many replies as I can to go back to the dealer with proof that they need to fix the problem rather than to try to convince me that they make noisy cars and that I should live with it.

I would not recommend that anyone in St. Louis go to Suntrup Hyundai to buy a car.
  • Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    My 2001 Sonata has 19,000 miles on it an it's still as quiet as when new. The only rattle I get is when the passenger seatbelt buckle gets turned around and vibrates on the door post. When I untangle it, everything is quiet again.

This is a very quiet car. I took it for recall service (side impact air bag connector) and removed the custom stereo head and subwoofer before I took it in, just to eliminate any temptation. Driving without the sound system on was a revelation. The car was really very quiet on LA freeways and surface streets. There's lots of cracked, pocked, and buckled concrete here. I heard no vibrations, rattles, squeeks, thunks, thumps, sproings, whirs, buzzes, or chirps.

Yes, I did hear wind noise and road noise, especially from the Michelin tires, but, really, I was impressed with my car. I've also been impressed in other recent Hyundais, not just mine.

Anyone who tells you that Hyundai Sonatas are going to make unacceptable noises as a matter of course is wrong. Especially if that "anyone" is a dealer.
  • Options
    I have been trying to find someone that will help me get my 2002 Sonata fixed. The problem is that there is a very annoying rattle in the front end on washboard type pavement. The rattle sounds like it is in the suspension. During my vacation I was on a slight curve where the car was barely leaning to one side and it was much worse. I have had the car to the dealer four times, and the last time they had a factory rep there to tell me that the rattle is there in all 2002 Sonatas. I am not sure why, but when I asked the rep her name, she said that they do not give them out. If Hyundai stands behind their products, why would they have this policy.

I love the car and would like to be able to tell others that Hyundai is a good company that cares, but at this time I am very disgusted.

If anyone knows how I can contact someone at Hyundai that CARES, I would appreciate some help.

At the present time I am suggesting that anyone in St. Louis looking for a car stay away from Suntrup(the dealer) specifically and Hyundai in general. My fear is that this may also be safety related and that people may loose their lives because a service department can't find an obvious problem.

Mike Johns
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I tell anyone who is getting nowhere with their dealer or a Hyundai rep to send letters straight to the top: Hyundai USA CEO Finbarr O'Neill.
  • Options
    hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    The next move you have to make is explained in the owner's handbook. Read it. You probably met a DPSM and unfortunately the rep.'s decision is final.
  • Options
    miles2gomiles2go Member Posts: 1
    Mike, if I were you I would:
    1. Take the car to an independent mechanic, and pay to have it thoroughly checked out.
    2. Once the problem is discovered and fixed (if, indeed, it is) take the car and the mechanic's bill (complete with explanation of the problem and any replaced part(s)) back to your Hyundai dealer. Explain to them that the problem was discovered and corrected, and they should pay for it.
    3. If they refuse to pay for it, I'm sure you are more than capable of determining (with legal advise of course) what courses of action are open to you.
    4. Post the findings of the mechanic who fixed your car here and on any other website that caters to Hyundai owners. If, in the end, you receive no satisfaction other than having your car fixed, at least you can feel better knowing you've helped others who may well be having the same problem. If, as the H-rep said, ALL 2002 Sonatas have this rattle, then there must be a lot of frustrated people out there looking for a cure. Of course, if she was lying.......

By the way, we have a 2003 Sonata LX, black, with 1,600 miles on it. No rattles, no squeaks, no problems, no nothing. So far, we love it. Good luck with your car.
  • Options
    mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Have you tried taking your car to another dealer? As has been talked about in the past, some dealers are great and some have no business being car dealers. I also agree with jimbeaumi, take your complaint directly to Finbarr O'Neill, right after you file a complaint with your BBB.
  • Options
    senior1senior1 Member Posts: 5
    Well I have now had my Sonata Gls for 5 days and 200 miles. So far the car has far exceeded my expectations. The only question I have is about the "new car smell". It is awful and unlike any new car smell I have ever had. If anyone else has experienced this I would welcome your comments on what you might have done/used to get rid of this smell. The other area that they could improve on is the radio... reception is awful. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    Don't worry, it'll go away. Took about a month and a half for our car. Quite the smell though.
  • Options
    nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    I too have a rattle on the front end. From past experience, it has been the calipers bouncing around in the bracket. pretty common, dodge, gmc, chrysler.....
    Not a safety thing, just an annoyance. The next time you find a washboard surface, put a little pressure on the brakes, the noise will go away and confirm the rattling calipers.
  • Options
    soulfingersoulfinger Member Posts: 64
    Hi. My wife is considering buying a 2003 Sonata LX. Can anyone tell me if the car comes with heated seats? Edmunds lists heated seats as a feature on the 2003s, but I don't see any mention of heated seats on the Hyundai website.
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    We recently purchased a new 2002 Hyundai LX with every option (I think) -- no heated seats. I believe heated seats are available on the Santa Fe and the XG350. However, I'm looking at trying an after-market add-on.

Check out: http://www.smarthome.com/9290.html

Anybody try this?

• Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Aren't heated seats a Sonata option in Canadian models? Thinking they have some slightly different standard and optional equipment.
  • Options
    soulfingersoulfinger Member Posts: 64
    Yes, that must be it. The only references I could find to heated seats (other than the one here on Edmunds) was on Canadian car sites.
  • Options
    jason_nyjason_ny Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone had any after market work done on your Sonatas. I just picked up the 2003 LX and I'm a little disappointed with the stereo. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to replace the sound system and speakers. Thanks.
  • Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    See posts 1, 3, and 4 in the "Sonata Owners: Accessories & Modifications" forum. Under the skin, most of the 2003 and 2001 interiors are the same, so I think you can apply my experience to your question. I would not want to tackle the job myself after what I saw the installers go through.
  • Options
    chetbobchetbob Member Posts: 18
    Have a 2002 Sonota LX. When the car was new when you pushed the amb (outside temperature reading)you always got the same reading regardless of the temperature. After a couple of days it started to work right. a couple of days ago it started again. It only shows 68 regardless of the temp.Any ideas as to the problem. Thanks for any responses. Bob
  • Options
    chetbobchetbob Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the comeback. When i followed the steps you gave, the following happened. -88.8 appreared than went out and 00 appeared. Do you haveany thoughts on the following. get an odor out of the a/c heating ducts. Just started about 2 weeks ago. Dealer said everything checked out fine. Again thanks for your help. Bob
  • Options
    jsnowejsnowe Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my 3002 Sonata LX V6 from Tom's Hyundai in Norwood MA and did so through the internet for $17,800. The are super people to deal with. Have 3000 miles on the odometer with no problems. It rides like a dream. I can even hear the radio when driving down the highway, something that I could not do with my Honda Accord.

Joseph
  • Options
    jsnowejsnowe Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my 2002 Sonata LX V6 from Tom's Hyundai in Norwood MA and did so through the internet for $17,800. The are super people to deal with. Have 3000 miles on the odometer with no problems. It rides like a dream. I can even hear the radio when driving down the highway, something that I could not do with my Honda Accord.

Joseph
  • Options
    zonie24601zonie24601 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, My wife and I have a ruby red LX that's pushing 9k miles -- love it so far! No rattles in front end, everything seems to work fine inside. Tranny is smooth. Mid-20s mpg on the highway and at least high teens in town. I do get the rattle on the pass. seat belt when it gets flipped around, but that's it. The only things I've noticed but haven't yet taken to the dealer (next town, hour away) is that there is an intermittent clicking sound when we start the car - maybe happens once per 10 starts at the most (at this point) ... sounds like if the battery were dead, but the engine is turning over at regular speed when we hear the noise. There's no problem starting it at all, just get this noise occassionally. Anyone with similar? Also, sounds like the the water pump pulley is making a little noise ... I sprayed a little WD-40 on it and it quieted down for a little while, but was at it again pretty quick. I live in south/central NM and the nearest dealership is in Las Cruces.
  • Options
    mwilcox2mwilcox2 Member Posts: 1
    How does this model hold up over time? There is a good discussion on reliability regarding the Elantra and owners who have driven 20,000 to 30,000 miles. Not as many posts on the Sonata board. Took a test drive in a GLS the other day and liked the car. Not as
  • Options
    bloodclotbloodclot Member Posts: 9
    I live in central New Jersey and have been in the market for a new car since the beginning of this month. I originally was looking for a small 4-door car but struck out everywhere I went. The Corolla was nice but has rotten egg smell, the Sentra was too cramped in the back for my 8-year old daughter, the Lancer was too uncomfortable for both me and my wife, the Protégé was too bumpy riding for my family, my wife didn't like the Elantra and I didn't bother with Ford, Chrysler or GM. So, before I went looking for a used car I decided to look at the next step up in models. All were too expensive except the Sonata. The warranty is great, the standard features are exceptional, the crash test safety rating is excellent and when we test drove the car we fell in love with it. The interior is not cheap looking like the others, it was quiet, road smoothly and has plenty of power. Personally, whatever Hyundai is doing I think they are doing it better than the Japanese. I bought a 2003 Sonata GLS with ABS and mud guards for $17,035 on Monday the 23rd. Will take delivery today after work. The dealership is very good, the salesman was very nice, not pushy or overbearing. Simply put, they made us happy.
  • Options
    sambojohosambojoho Member Posts: 14
    Only thing that I had to have fixed was the driver's window regulator, which was fixed under warranty. Only other time it was in the shop was for a couple of side air bag sensor recalls, nothing was wrong with mine, but they replaced the wiring harness with an updated one.

The car has been great, never let me down, and is a pleasure to drive. I couldn't be happier, best car I have ever owned. I would highly recommend a Sonata to anyone shopping midsize sedans.
  • Options
    bloodclotbloodclot Member Posts: 9
    I am considering getting an extended warranty for my new Hyundai Sonata. The salesman told me that for $655, I can extend the bumper-to-bumper warranty to 10 years / 100,000 miles. Has anyone done this? Is it worth going through the dealer or should I try an online company like Warranty Direct or 1SourceAutoWarranty? I checked Warranty Direct, and they have a Diamondwrap coverage with $0 deductible for $949. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Usually the dealer keeps half the money on the sale and there's still plenty of profit for the manufacturer. Given Hyundai's long basic warranty this would be even more of a mark-up item. Also warranty coverage is repleat with "gotcha" horror stories. This is especially true with third party agreements.
  • Options
    nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    I bought the hyundai advantage warranty 10yr/100k bump to bump for ~$700. Most problems are going to be expensive to fix, a/c, ABS, fuel pump, heated seats, etc. An unforseen advantage that I received during the horsepower campaign was an increase to 12yr/120k miles on all the coverages, limited (except paint), road-side, and powertrain. I have heard of some horror stories with other car manufactuers, none with Hyundai though. The best warranty that I like is the Isuzu 10yr/120k miles powertrain/suspension. They spell out exactly what is covered and what isn't covered.
    If you have the $700 and you want peace of mind, then get it. The dealership that I purchased my Sonata from (RTE 2 Hyundai in Leominster) adds in the 'coupon book' for discounts on service. In the long run I will re-coop $500 of the $700, so the math works for me. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Our 2002 V-6 Sonata bought last April just passed the 29,500 km. (18,000 miles) mark. Still tight as a drum with no squeaks or rattles (other than that the passenger seat belt buckle rattling against the door post when not in use). So far this is turning out to be better than any previous Honda or Acura purchase within the same time frame.