Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bilstellbilstell Member Posts: 3
    I would have to agree with rainbow and steve.
    I have been looking at the sienna and odyssey
    for a while now. I have even went as far as looking at used vehicles. The odyssey seemed to hold up much better over time, and was worth
    anywhere from 3000-6000 more after it was used,
    comparably. That is remarkable considering the price advantage the odyssey had over the sienna as
    a new vehicle. I like toyotas, but this is very disturbing!! The odyssey also had better equipment, more room, and more power.
  • Options
    bilstellbilstell Member Posts: 3
    I don't think that I would get the 2003 sienna.
    I am either going to wait for the 2004 sienna, or
    I am going to get an odyssey. I would love to see
    if toyota will do a good job on the 2004, but I'm
    afraid that I will wait and not like it. The odyssey is looking really good right now! I will have to think on it for a while.
  • Options
    notcajunenuf4unotcajunenuf4u Member Posts: 6
    The reason I bought '03 Sienna is because Toyota's dealing them right now. When the '04's come out, I'm told they will be a bit more expensive, and I'm sure they're gonna be difficult to get if you wait too long (just like the Odys).
  • Options
    twinmom73twinmom73 Member Posts: 17
    The 2004 Sienna CE is starting at $22,800. Toyota has all the specs listed here:

http://www.toyota.com/sienna/minisite/

• Options
    crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    Bought a Sienna LE with Extra value package & rear bumper protector (MSRP $26,795) for $22,125.

I decided to go for the 03 because we weren't too thrilled about the 04 Sienna gaining so much in size. Plus, this was a great deal.
  • Options
    shabbycatshabbycat Member Posts: 65
    And how long did it take you to get that deal? How did the salespeople treat you?

Thanks!
  • Options
    shabbycatshabbycat Member Posts: 65
    LE's and CE's (didn't check the XLE). Has anyone ever used CarsDirect.com or another on-line service? Quoted the CE as $20,167 including MSRP and the LE for $21,595.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dunwoodygaldunwoodygal Member Posts: 3
    I think I got a good deal for our new 03 Sienna CE with the HV extra value package. We got the dealer down to 21,500 before tax, etc. We also got him down from 500 to 300 for the alarm. For the extended warranty we paid 750 instead of the $900 he wanted. Over all, I think we did pretty well. The dealer also included the center console and a roof rack for free because I took a car they had on the lot. I had to get silver, which I hadn't really wanted, but after about 6 snow storms I am glad we got this color. We live in the NYC area, and the dealers were really ready to deal. It was easy to pit one against the other.
  • Options
    crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    I'm in NH, bought at http://www.autofair.com in Manchester, NH. They have a no-haggle policy on all their vehicles, which makes the buying experience all that much easier. Check out their web site, they have online inventory.

At the time I bought (1/13/03), there was a $1,000 rebate, as well as a Toyota to Dealer incentive of $1,000.
  • Options
    gingmongingmon Member Posts: 1
    reading recent posts helped figure out ballpark prices.

used the price quote section here and got back 4 quotes

Jim Pettine at Acton Toyota returned the lowest quote. He did a search and picked up the color I wanted at no extra charge. Upfront at the start about the Customer and dealer rebates $1000 for each.

CE with HX, rear bumper protection
    $ 21,254

added alarm for $300
    and taxes and document fees
  • Options
    tinker6tinker6 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a new 2003 Sienna LE Symphony, Towing package, Side Air Bags, LE Prefered Package,Power Sliding Doors.MSRP= $28,383, Got dealer down to $24,400 - $1,500 Rebate = Paid $22,900 + Taxes, Title & Tags. Saved enough to install 10" Koren Entertainment System & Echo Rear Sensing System. Dealer wanted to get rid of his inventory for new redesigned Sienna. Most dealers have a web site & you can check his inventory. I knew how many Sienna's he had & sold in last weeks. Time was on my side. I bought it a week before rebate expired and at the end of the month. Always go at the end of the month & always get the top salesman. He has more flexibility with Sale Manager.
  • Options
    twinmom73twinmom73 Member Posts: 17
    How do you know who the top salesman is? Is this also on their websites?
  • Options
    picasso3picasso3 Member Posts: 12
    Tinker - When and where did you purchase your Sienna? Wife and I are looking to purchase same vehicle with the same options. Also do you know when the rebates for the Sienna expire? Don't see any info on Toyota or dealership websites. I have been looking at dealership websites and have seen codes?? at the end of the listing
    ex. Sienna 5dr LE 4ECT
        Sienna 5dr LE (Natl)
  • Options
    I talked to and emailed all of the Honda dealers in my area about availability of new EX. They all wanted MRSP + some added dealers options to jack up prices. First I had to leave a deposit to hold, but could not guarantee the color I wanted. I have never paid full slicker for new vehicle & was not going to start now. I went to Toyota to look at the Sienna. My wife drove it and liked it. The dealing had plenty in inventory, we bought a LE Symphony, towing, perfered LE package,power sliding doors. All for $22,900,I saved enough to install a Koren entertainment system & Echo rear sensing system.
  • Options
    I bought this vehicle the last week of the $1500 rebate. The dealer in my area had 11 Symphonies in his inventory. He was willing to deal, because of the new redesigned 2004 models were arriving in march.They wanted 2003's gone.The Rebate expired 2/3/03.They may continue this? Keep checking on Edmunds.com for Rebates & incentives. This price included the $1500 rebate.I knew someone who worked at the dealer that knew the top saleman. I hope this helped.
    Tinker
  • Options
    Where did you buy the Sienna - ie city/state and dealeship?

Picasso
  • Options
    fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    My wife and I have been van shopping for the last few months. The Siennas LE's in our area [Western PA] are almost all equipped as yours: Symphony package, side air bags, power sliding door, towing package and rear bumper protector with cargo net. MSRP about $28,300. There are three Toyota dealers close to me and each one has at least 8 of these Symphony Editions that have not moved since before Christmas. Before reading your post, I was shooting for a deal similar to yours, but was unsure if it was possible. I now know that it is.
    My question is: did you consider the Kia Sedonna [in addition to the Honda] while evaluating different vans? The Kia dealer gave us one to use for the weekend and it was impressive - leather, sunroof and all options for about $22,000.
    Other than the good deal you negotiated, what sold you on the Toyota over the other brands?
  • Options
    Wife is comletely against KIA and Hyundai and other "off-brand" vehicles. I tried to get her to test drive one and she won't even go for that. We are also looking into the Odyssey since the Honda dealership called. we told them we were not interested in the Odyssey cause they deal from MSRP not invoice and gave us an offer of $26,860 for the EX without Leather. Where in Western PA was the dealership & what is the dealership? My wife has family in Pittsburgh so a trip out there to buy the car is not out of the question.
  • Options
    I live in VA. Check out carmax.com , new cars, they have a dealership in Laurel,MD. that have what you want at a good price.(some still have $1500 rebate) or check out Autofair.com , they have new Sienna's (Symphony) around $24,000.It is in New Hampshire they also have a Honda dealership with prices below MRSP. hope this helps.
  • Options
    Tinker - thanks for the info. Does the car dealer where you bought yours have any more left?
  • Options
    What dealer are you referring to in Pittsburgh? Honda, Toyota or Kia?
  • Options
    Was asking about the Toyota but Wife is more inclined to go with Honda at this point. I'm inclined to wait for the 2004 Sienna's comming out in March. Don't really need it till late march or early april. Our second son is due in Mid-april. Since the 2004 Sienna CE appears to prices $1000 below 2003 model.
    If we wait I am hoping:
    1)the LE will also be below 2003 price.
    2)Honda will be more willing negotiate price
    3)Maybe 2004 Odyssey coming out in June?
  • Options
    The Toyota dealers close to me [north of Pittsburgh] are Davis Toyota, Baierl Toyota and Rohrich Toyota. If you go to Toyota's website and click on dealer locator, it will show you all of the dealerships in Western PA.
    We also considered a Honda [in addition to the Kia], but prices were considerably higher [$6,000+]and very little negotiating. I thought we would get some break on price since we are already Honda customers but no chance. I guess demand still exceeds supply around here.
    It's tough to predict the '04 pricing - with a new model just released and spring being the prime car buying season, I find it hard to believe that you can work a really good deal. But with the economy sputtering and war around the corner, perhaps time is on your side.
    I am not going to wait that long - my plan is to buy by the end of the month. The 03 Symphony Editions with a sticker of $28,500 can be had for about $23,000 plus tax and plates. That's hard to pass up.
  • Options
    beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    In Central Jersey, I saw 2 ads in the Sunday paper that caught my attention. I believe they were for CE models, but the prices were very attractive. One dealer was 21K and change, and the other was 20,599 IIRC. If you just need a basic minivan, now seems to be the time.
  • Options
    Bought the Sienna at Turnersville Toyota in Turnersville, NJ off Route 42.

Bought the Sienna LE Symphony, with passenger Power Door and Towing Package. They had it on the lot in Lunar Mist.
    Dealer offered $500 off invoice, $1,000 Rebate and 0% for 3 years. They also gave me $1,200 for trade-in (93 Honda Del Sol S with 129K miles) originally offered $700 but was ready to walk out and call other dealers.
    Also look at Autofair.com. I printed out a page with the LE Symphony they were offering for $23,199 but didn't want to drive to New Hampshire.

We were also considering the Honda Odyssey but the dealership wouldn't honor the internet price they gave to other people and the only offered $500 for trade-in and dealt only from MSRP.
    Good Luck and let me know what you paid for yours.
  • Options
    Sounds like you made a good deal - the 0% for 3 years is great.
    I am just about ready to pull the trigger on an 03 Sienna LE Symphony. Our price is almost exactly the same as yours [with a few additional options]: Sienna LE Symphony with towing package, power sliding door, cargo net, bumper protector, dual front side air bags and security system [V5]. MSRP: $28,562. Dealer offer: $23,800 plus tax and plates. If I take away the few extra options, it works out to about $23,344.
    I was wondering if I should try to squeeze a few more bucks out of the dealer but it sounds like I [and you] worked out a good deal.
    Did you spring for any of the Toyota warranties?
  • Options
    ginapginap Member Posts: 12
    I just went to Autofair yesterday. Sure the prices are good but they totally tried to jerk me over on the trade. They hadn't even looked at my car but offered $2500 off KBB. Blech!
  • Options
    joep8joep8 Member Posts: 3
    I verified this deal at 4 different Toyota dealers in Eastern PA:

Any '03 Sienna @ $700 under invoice
    then take $1500 Toyota rebate
    -----------------
    $2200 under invoice total discount

This usually leaves you about $5000 below MSRP. I'm not sure how much dealer cash Toyota is throwing around, but they really want the '03 models off the lot.

In my case, I purchased an LE symphony @ $27,560 MSRP for $22,459 before trade, taxes, and tags. This included a $400 college grad rebate. The college grad rebate rules are pretty lenient - check the Toyota website to see if you qualify. The deal also included Toyota Financial matching the 4.99%/60 mos. financing widely available on the internet (check http://www.bankrate.com ). Also, I got $1500 for my '95 Jetta w/ 184k miles, which was a pretty fair appraisal from a number of dealers and compares with Edmunds' TMV for that car. The total deal came to $22,311 out the door.

Another thing to consider, if you like the Symphony models, is that Toyota usually builds them a certain way. The most common LE symphony available comes with TO, AJ (pwr door), BE (side bags), and Z1 options and lists for $28,283 MSRP and $25,651 invoice. With this deal, you could get the car for $23,451 before trade, taxes, and tags.

Some dealers had a ton of Symphony models in inventory (10-30 models) and I sensed that they would have dealt even lower than the $700 under invoice price, but I only found one model the way I wanted it (without the power door and side bags) so I made the deal.

If anyone's in Eastern PA, reply back and I can give you some contacts.
  • Options
    joep8joep8 Member Posts: 3
    fvp, your Sienna without the security system is the most common Symphony model, and it lists for $28,283 MSRP and $25,651 invoice, so $23,800 for the Symphony w/ Sec. System sounds like a reasonable deal.

However, with the incentives I encountered as of last week, go with $5000 below sticker price as your rule of thumb. Depending on your situation (can you live with walking away from the deal?), you should be able to grind a few more bucks out of the dealer. Offer $23,000 and see if they go for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback - as you know, it's tough to tell where to draw the line.
    I agree that the most common Symphony's are equipped like you mentioned. The one my wife likes is a white two tone and that one has the security system-thus a sticker of $28,562.
    At $5,000 under sticker my price should be about $23,500 - or $300 under where I am now. To answer your question, I have no problem walking away from the deal. There are a ton of 03 LE Symphony's around here [Western PA]. However, the only ones in white are at the dealer I am ngeotiating with. I should mention that he has also offered 3.9% financing for up to 60 months.
    $23K would be a great price. The one thing that may be working against me is that the Auto Show opens today here and that [according to the dealers] opens the buying season.
    I will call the guy today and offer $23K. I'll let you know what he says.
  • Options
    3boyz3boyz Member Posts: 1
    Of course I started reading this board AFTER we bought the car to see how we did and boy, is it easy to obsess! Our CE has the hx value package, the tow prep, and the rear bumper protection. We paid 500 below invoice, plus the 1500 rebate = 21,500. I guess it's a decent price.

This is our first new car (we've always bought old, used cars) and we weren't as up on how to use all the e-mail techniques and all the online companies. We could've gotten a lower price at a different dealer (or so we think, if that dealer wasn't going to try to add in some hidden cost over his quote to us), but it was on a white one and we really wanted the dark blue. Is that really a not-so-saleable color? I really did not want to buy our first brand new car and have to settle for the silver or desert sand (which was almost all of them!) They are not bad colors in and of themselves, I've just always wanted blue. And this one has no console, which I am very glad about. The factory installed ones don't seem to be designed very well.

So we ended up going somewhere else, to a place that couldn't seem to match the other dealer's price (which was 20,869 which seems very low). But when you are going to be picky about color, you get into a limited situation and walking out could backfire. We thought if we walked and then went back for the white one, they would say, "Sorry. That deal was the other day." But who knows? If they really want to get rid of the cars, they might do anything.

Well, thinking about it now isn't going to change anything. It is over and done with now. And I do love the car! It is so smooth and quiet!! It's beautiful. I looked at some pics of the 2004 (also AFTER we bought ours, you know, just to obsess a little more) and it didn't look all that special to me.

So, can anyone tell me we did OK, especially as beginners? Even if we could've saved a few hundred more, the hassle starts to become not worth it (did I mention we have 3 young boys?) as well as the risk of selling out of dark blue ones. There were only 4 dark blue CEs to choose from around here and if we didn't get one because of trying to bargain too hard, I would have kicked myself!! Thanks!

Also, the "current" rebate is now good until March 3.
  • Options
    Just finalized the deal for our LE Symphony. MSRP was $28,500 and we got it for $23,500 with 2.9% financing.
    Many thanks to all on this board for the advice.
  • Options
    It sound like all of you bargained to get a very good deal on your new sienna's.I hope my input helped you hold out to get the best possible deal. The dealer in my area is now are offering $2000 off invoice.(this includes $1500 rebate).
  • Options
    Our deal was about $1,900 under invoice. I didn't press the dealer any further because he threw in a good interest rate [2.9%]. All in all I'm pleased and appreciate all the help via this discussion.
    One question that's a bit off topic - anyone have a recommendation on a center console for the Sienna? Does Toyota have one that I should be considering?
    Thanks again all.
  • Options
    We looked at one at the dealer to hold our dvd in for the new rosen entertainment system . It cost $155 plus installation cost. It was to small and the seats cup holders would not work. It had 2 cup holders in it. I didn't think it was worth the money. Your dealer probably has one in stock to check out. You may find an after market product cheaper and better. I hope this helps. Tinker
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There might be some console info in the Sienna Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I'm going to check the mentioned discussion for ideas.
    Just spoke to the Toyota parts and he gave me the same price - $155 plus installation.
    Need to think about that - seems a bit much.
  • Options
    You mentioned an entertainment system. What kind is it and do you like it? If I may ask, what did you pay?
    Do you have a center console for it?
    We are looking into buying one and would appreciate your input.
    Thanks
  • Options
    dtagliafdtagliaf Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks,
    Last week I was inquiring about a 2000 Quest that I've been talked out of for safety reasons....I'm back at looking at Sienna. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I found a 98 Sienna XLE over the weekend that the seller (private dealer) is asking $15000. It was a lease return, but he's only willing to come down to $14,500. That seems a little stingy to me, only coming down $500 for this. What do you think? I'll probably take it to my mechanic for a looksee, but does this sound like a good deal?
    thanks
    Dana
  • Options
    I decided to go with a Rosen 10.4" screen with 2 wireless headsets. This had the best picture than all the others I looked at. Rosen screens are used in airline cockpits. It is overhead & looks fine installed there. It only blocks rear view mirror by a little- that was a concern of mine. The dvd player would not fit in Toyota's console- so you are limited to were to put it. Under the seat would block off vent-so decided no . The best for me was between the seats. The installer encased it to protect it & then carpeted it. It looks fine there. Most dvd unit can play video games also & have tv tuner capability,but reception is not very good on tv tuner. The system installed cost me $1650 with a 3 year warranty. The factory installed units cost around $1700. Check out edmunds entertainment comments. This will also help you decide.My kids love it. Hope this helped
  • Options
    Thank you for your post - I helps a great deal.
    Rosen is one of the brands we are considering. The decision of where to place the dvd player is a tough one. I don't want it under the seat either. Perhaps in a center console would be an option.
    Thanks again - I'm sure the kids love it!
  • Options
    ssriederssrieder Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at an '03 LE Symphony with VSC, Side airbags, Power Sliding door, and a rear spoiler ($300 for a piece of plastic, unbelievable!!). MSRP is $29,100, invoice is $26,100. Dealer is offering $1000 rebate and 0% for 36 mos. His best offer is invoice. He says that at that price he is making only the $500 dealer $$ which is built into invoice price. Others have been saying that they are getting $5000 off MSRP(after taking rebate into it). He balked, said he'd be selling for a $500 loss at $25,100. (Rebate makes it MSRP-$5000).

Any thoughts? Is he only making $500 if he sells at invoice? What's a fair dealer profit? $500 sounds reasonable to me. Is the dealer cost the same everywhere? I'm in Wisconsin.

I have only found 2 models like this here in town. This is the van we want, but I still want to get the best deal possible.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    kjs5kjs5 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

Has anyone bought a Sienna through carsdirect.com?

They are quoting for about $21,600 for a 2003 Sienna LE w/ Symphony. How does this sound?
  • Options
    I think you can do better. We just picked up our van last night - it is the same as yours less the rear spoiler and VSC. However, ours has the upgraded security system,pinstriping and a few things the dealer threw in. Final sticker was $28,800. I got it for $23,500 and 2.9% financing for up to 60 months.
    Don't forget - supply and demand is the rule in the car business. In my area, the dealers lots were loaded with 03 LE Symphony Editions. If I didn't get a good price from one, I would go to another. In your area, that may be different.
    kjs5 - $21,600 sounds good - what other options are included?
    ssrieder - take note of kjs5's price.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. They sure didn't want us to leave last night, wanted to explain how nobody could beat what they are offering. This morning I submitted requests to all the dealers within a couple hours of here (lucky to be centrally located). We'll see what that yields.
  • Options
    I live in central Virginia. Were I bought mine, the dealer wants them off of his lot. (they have a big inventory) $2500 off invoice sounds very good. go to www.mcgeorgetoyota.com. you can check out their inventory & possible make a deal on pc. they claim they will not be under sold. It may be worth a ride to Richmond , VA. This dealer was a pleasure to work with.
  • Options
    Basically, all the dealers I contact in my area are just telling me what the invoice price is. (All are about the same and in agreement with those I've found online). Any suggestions as to a.) Getting a quote out of them, or b.) a starting offer to make in the event I keep getting told the invoice price?

So far, it seems that they are just trying to get me into the building to talk i.e. 'deals are no problem' kind of talk. I'm leery of this, just because of the pain in the neck factor.

I'm thinking about starting at $1000 shy of invoice (in this case about 25K for an LE w/ SP,AJ,BE,VD,TO,FE). With the $1000 rebate that's about 5K below MSRP.

I'm in Madison, WI if it matters.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    klear123klear123 Member Posts: 7
    Just leased a deep blue 'loaded' CE with HV, console, running boards, cargo net, and rear bumper protector. Cap cost reduced to just above invoice and used $2,000 in rebates for down payment. Came out of the deal with a better equipped van than the '00 Sienna we traded, lower payments, better residual, and vey little out of pocket. Live in Buffalo, NY where the Sienna suppply is limited. Can't leave area to buy out of town, even though deals out of town look good. It was a toss up between the '03 and the '04, but we love the current style, and the '04s may not have the rebates for awhile.

Anyone from Buffalo can email me for my .02.
  • Options
    Here's the way I did my deal and it went smooth as silk.
    1. First of all, do your homework. The Symphony Editions are all packaged about the same with a MSRP of about $28,200 - give or take a few bucks. The sticker on ours was $28,800 because of a security system, pinstriping and a couple other dealer add ons. As you know, the invoice price is around $25,000. There is [or was when we bought ours] $1,500 rebate money available and $500 dealer cash as well. All told, you should be at least $5,000 under MSRP or the low $23's before tax and plates. If you are financing, you should get a good rate as well [3.9%]. Don't let them tell you if you take the rebate you will be paying some outrageous interest rate. That's not true!
    2. Before you go to the dealer, find out the name of the new car sales manager and ask for him when you walk in. I did that with our dealer and it was such a relief to negotiate with someone that can make decisions. No sitting like an idiot while the salesman goes to "talk to his boss".
    3.After introducing yourself, inform him that you are interested in a Sienna and want to make him an offer on one sitting on his lot. Make him aware that it's pretty common knowledge that $5K under MSRP is the norm, and that you are also aware that he needs to move his 2003's before the 04's arrive in mid-March.
    4. That said, your offer is $23,200 and you will sign today if he accepts your offer.
    You don't need a quote from him - YOU are the one making an offer to HIM. Make it a fair one and make sure he knows you will buy NOW when he accepts YOUR offer. If he balks or starts giving you some song and dance, tell him that you are going to another dealer to give him your pitch. Believe me, they need to move the 03's and if you read the posts on this thread, you will see that these deals are out there.
    That's what I did - I went in, met the GSM and asked him if I could give him my pitch. He took me into his office and said fire away. I laid it out my position and told him I would write a check on the spot if he accepted. He did and I did. It took 3 minutes.
    Remember, the thing I had in my favor was the law of supply and demand. I had been keeping an eye on three Toyota dealers lots in my area for over 2 months before I made my move. Each one had 10 Symphony Edition Siennas on their lots and, other than the occasional test drive, there they sat. He knew I had my facts straight and there was no BS flying around. All in all, it was a great car buying experience.
  • Options
    kjs5kjs5 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my 2003 Sienna yesterday!

I live in the Bay Area and I got it for $23,297 with the LE Symphony Edition & Running Boards. I love color, absolutely the best one out there, the White with Silver Metallic Trim. They were offering $6000 in discounts & rebates, $5500 if I took their financing. Their financing is 0% for 36 mos. I don't know if that's just a local deal, but it's def. worth the $500.

My negotiating is weak so I couldn't knock anymore off the price.

I considered carsdirect.com but their price came in higher than what was on their site. Their site doesn't show you some other standard options on the Symphony. Their pricing still wasn't bad, but they couldn't get the color I wanted and the salesman was extremely pushy as well.

Buying a car is one of the most grueling shopping experiences. Wish they could make it better with honest, flat pricing.

The day before my wife and I got in a yelling match with Autowest Toyota in Fremont. We walked in just wanting to get a quote on our trade in and a general idea of how much we would have to layout if we went for a car. The sales man didn't let us go and he made it sound like to his manager that we were ready to buy today. Why can't these idiots just get in their head that maybe not everyone is ready to buy a car in the same day.

Then, the manager, a "human" by the name of Sang So said "either my salesman or you are lying, and I don't know who"!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I just want to warn people from ever doing business with that dealership again. Luckily I was able to close the deal at another dealership.