Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    As you can see by my profile (that has my email address)I am a dealer so I can't solicit any business.
  • Options
    bausbackbausback Member Posts: 7
    You are welcome! good luck in your search...
  • Options
    LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    If you get six serious peeps, offer 1% to 1.5% over invoice. You have done the work for them and deserve a few hundred off, and the sales guy + his manager will get bonuses for beating quota.
  • Options
    jxlxrjxlxr Member Posts: 61
    What dealer in Philly are you dealing with?
  • Options
    hst1hst1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    We are looking for a sienna as well, but don't want to pay over 2% invoice. We would be interested in the CE with the option of the traction control and airbags.... let me know what dealer you are working with or how we could work it out
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Several dealers here in MA told one or more van will arrive at the end of April or the beginning of May. Isn't too tough to get this model? One dealer showed me a list of production for 04 Sienna with 47% of LE.
  • Options
    socal4socal4 Member Posts: 8
    I have begun my search for the best price in Southern California. I just emailed about 25 different dealers seeking 2% over invoice. So far I have received 6 replies, all at full MSRP. In fact the dealers seem downright cocky, knowing that they will get full MSRP.

I must admit that economics principles dictate that when demand is greater than supply, the dealer is in control. Has anyone in Southern California gotten below MSRP, or better yet 2% over invoice as some consumers are sharing ?
  • Options
    Here is an update. More full MSRP offers have come in and finally, a small victory with $500 under MSRP. Has anyone in So. Cal done better ?
  • Options
    momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    Timing is perfect, up until recently I have been debating which vehicle to get. A previously owned large domestic SUV, was the direction I was heading. I know in my mind that minivan is the way to go with my family, but no van out there has the size and/or features that get me excited as some of the SUVs out there.
       Everyone seems to love their odyssey, but I used to have a 3 door pontiac transport, and I loved the flexibility of the seats, 8 passenger, split rear bench, ease of moving them in and out, etc. I did not like the styling on the exterior or the fact that the dealership had to replace the trans within 3 months of ownership.
       When I first started reading of the 04 Sienna, my heart was fluttering as I realized someone out there in Toyota Land heard my likes and dislikes of the minivans on the market now. They created the van that brings larger families back to practicality, not gas guzzling Suburbans. ( that's where I was headed)
       The best features that make the difference, third row split bench, with the extra space that odyssey boasts, the 2nd row windows that roll down. All three row side curtain bags, manual window shades, windshield wiper de-icer, FRONT and rear parking sensors, and the best feature of all, the purse hook. Thank you Toyota
  • Options
    jxlxrjxlxr Member Posts: 61
    That will help the under MSRP cause....
  • Options
    It sounds like the Corolla TV commericals that a lady wrote to Toyota and thanked them. I would thank them if they speed up the production and the dealers won't take an advantage of it (nearly $3000 profit for each Sienna they sold). I agree with what people said "it worth every penny". But paying MSRP is not my style, same as many posters in this forum. What makes me buy it from that dealer for MSRP while others are also selling for MSRP? Just my thought.
  • Options
    CindyMCindyM Member Posts: 15
    Am also in Southern California(LA) and absolutely no luck on anyone budging on the MSRP! So, socal4, what dealership actually was willing to go $500 under MSRP? This seems to be one instance when Mid-Westerners have it better than we do in SoCal!!:) Anyone have a feel or real-world info as to how long these dealers can go on getting MSRP for this vehicle? (also curious -- is anyone else out there at all concerned about buying first-year run of this version?)
  • Options
    I guess buying a Sienna with such as great deal is pure luck. Because they have no reasons to sell you for less. I have followed those suggestions (sell fast for quick allocation, etc). It doesn't work in this case. For the guy who hate Plymouth, sounds like a $2000 discount.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    a friend is negotiating a deal for a 04 CE. the MSRP is $30 and change and he can have it for $29800 which includes PDI, Frieght, doc & admin
  • Options
    I have successfully reached a deal for 2% over invoice in Southern California, one day after sending my flurry of emails to about 25-30 dealerships ! I will provide specific details and my experience in a few days after my deal has been completed.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    a friend is negotiating a deal for a 04 CE. the MSRP is $30 and change and he can have it for $29800 which includes PDI, Frieght, doc & admin
  • Options
    twinmom73twinmom73 Member Posts: 17
    I went to Jim Norton Toyota in Tulsa, OK this past Sunday, while they were closed. I looked at the only 04 Sienna I could find on the lot. It was an XLE Limited. Had to chuckle when I looked at the sticker - they'd handwritten in a "Market Adjustment", ADDING $1,500 to the MSRP! Guess I'll be looking in KS for sure!
  • Options
    hperez1hperez1 Member Posts: 3
    I found a dealer in Socal willing to go $300-$500 below MSRP. I am hunting for a 04'Siena LE 8-passenger phamtom grey. But from my research 8-passengers are hard to find. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    That's all I can say to all Sienna hunters. It could be 3 to 6 months until the supply finally matches the demand. Don't let those greedy dealers take an advantage of it. Paying over MSRP is a robbery! Your resale won't increase. Perhaps you want to be the first new Sienna owner on the block. Keep this in mind. It can be as much as $3000 (or more) pure profit for the new Sienna now. They are sold as soon as they unload from the truck. No need to pay for ads and maintenance out of their pockets. And months from now, I am sure they will begging you to buy one from them. You will be in charge. And also look for any factory incentives and rebates.
  • Options
    pumperspumpers Member Posts: 1
    I have decided to buy a 2004 Sienna, and I don't believe that there will be any significant discounts any time soon. The odyssey basically had not been discounted for 2 full years, and this van is much better!!!! Call me crazy, but I love this van!!!
  • Options
    kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    If your local dealers are holding at MSRP and you can wait until the summer, I believe prices will come down. Toyota is looking to sell 130,000 Siennas this year and with the Odyssey being discounted now in most of the country, prices can't stay at MSRP.
  • Options
    That's right! Most Honda dealers are discounting the Odyssey for up to $2000. For those in stock, they are willing to sell you at reasonable price. Dealers were asking MSRP from the 1999 model to late 2002 model (some early 2003 model). Watch out Honda!
  • Options
    saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    It didn't take long before honda dealers started discounting on 03 accords. Toyota recently expanded their plant in indiana to be able to produce sequoia/sienna.

Don't forget also nissan, ford, and mercury will all have new vans on the market in few months. The new siennas are just hitting the dealers lot now and as with anything new they are going to get msrp over initial hoopla. If you can wait, than by all means wait. If you don't mind blowing 3-5k than get one now.
  • Options
    If you can save $500 per month, you will have $3000 in your shoebox in six months. By then, you will also get properly $3000 off for Sienna. Or buy it now, your $3000 goes to someone's pocket. Do the math. It is worth of wait. If you can wait 7 (8?) years for the all-new Sienna, why not wait for another 6 months?
  • Options
    x10guyx10guy Member Posts: 15
    Toyota is counting on people who just can't wait to get the Newest and Latest models. As long as there are enough buyers, they will sell if for that price. Probably most of the new Sienna owners you see on this board so far paid MSRP or close to it. Those who are patient will probably find it cheaper this summer. Unless Honda suddenly stops selling Odysseys, I don't see MSPR prices lasting very long.

I can't see the Sienna prices being as ridiculous as the Ody prices for the first 3 years. Back then, the Ody really had no competition. Now that all the car companies are getting the idea what people really like in a MV, it's getting more and more competitive.
  • Options
    blandfordmblandfordm Member Posts: 54
    I would be surprised if the average buyer will get $3K off of MSRP for a new Sienna (except maybe if you're buying last year's model once a new model year comes out) any time within the next few years. According to Edmunds.com, the difference between dealer invoice and MSRP seems to range between about $2,300 for the base model CE to about $3,400 for the XLE AWD. If you got $3K off of MSRP for the XLE AWD, the dealer would be selling the vehicle for about $400 over invoice. Since I believe that is just a little over 1% over invoice, that would be a very good price. One that even with competition, I doubt you will see many buyers able to get.

If you move up to the XLE Limited AWD, starting out with an MSRP of about $37K, and over $4K difference between MSRP and invoice, then you might be able to get $3K off, which would still only give the dealer 3% over invoice.
  • Options
    CindyMCindyM Member Posts: 15
    More power to you, socal4! Anxiously awaiting details of your coup! Yes, please keep us posted and best of luck!!
  • Options
    jchanceyjchancey Member Posts: 5
    Dealers here in Northern California have informed me that Toyota isn't manufacturing the XLE AWD yet. Only the XLE Limited is currently available in AWD. Has anyone heard anything different?

Also, it looks like Toyota is planning on including their own DVD Navigation system as an option but that's not yet available either. Anyone heard about that???

jason
  • Options
    tj2004tj2004 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in central Iowa and took delivery last week on an 04 Sienna XLE with package #5, paid 2720 UNDER MSRP! It was on the lot, I said I was looking for a base XLE and that was the closest available. I had been working with the salesman for about a week.

It is possible! Keep working it!
  • Options
    hst1hst1 Member Posts: 17
    Please tell us who you were able to get the 3% over invoice deal from in philly, or if you are still looking for others who are interested in the philly area... thanks!
  • Options
    Folks. I have to say this one more time. blandfordm and x10guy - See what I have been saying about the $3000+ profit for this van. Right now, they sell them as soon as they get off from the truck. Dealer don't need to pay for TV or newspapers ads and maintenance for the van. Remember, it is not Toyota fault. Toyota make only what the dealer pays (dealer invoice) for the car. And the dealer is the blame. The dealer will show you their invoice (dealer invoice) which is already added 2% of the MSRP as a holdback. Holdback uses to pay for ads and maintenance for the first 90 days in the lot. If the van has been sitting in the lot over 3 months, that's their problem. Anyway, if they sell the car $100 over invoice, they still make $100 plus the 2% holdback. Not to mention the add-ons, options and accessories. If the 2% is equal $500 and if they sell you the car for $200 under invoice (sounds like they lose money), but they still make $300. I tried to ask my dealer to give $1000 off MSRP while they can still make $2000 from the van. They insist MSRP. They want every penny.
  • Options
    x10guyx10guy Member Posts: 15
    Lok888 don't have a heart attack. I understand what you are saying. When I said Toyota, I was using it a general term. I was simply saying that in gereral Toyota (yes I mean the dealers) will get as much for their Siennas as the market will give them. Criticize them all you want but if people are willing to pay it, why should they sell it for less? When they run out of people willing to pay it, the price will go down.

No it's not directly Toyota's (the company)fault, but they certainly are not doing anything to discourage the dealers from selling MSRP or even higher.
  • Options
    sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    Toyota is making the XLE AWD but perhaps are not shipping to your region. I test drove one a week ago in Southern Ontario, now been sold. I am waiting on a LTD AWD which should arrive within a week. I was pleased with the performance of the car, the ride was smooth and quiet. I currently have a 1999 Sienna and found the the performance and ride to be superior on the 2004. Hope you get them in your region shortly as I do not think you will be dissappointed in the van if it is what you are looking for. My cost for the 2004 will be approximately 2.3% above invoice. Most dealersin my area said they wanted MRSP. I refuse to pay MRSP and have seen many deals in the US under MRSP. You just have to be persistant.
  • Options
    I am not worry. Because I know thing will change in months. It could hurt the Toyota reputation a little because people are most likely to blame the company. I did mention that the dealers have no reason to sell it for less. Toyota (or any auto markers) has no control over what dealers are selling. Toyota also no need to do anything to stop dealer sell at MSRP, except they speed up the production or give out factory incentive (to ease up a little) which I haven't seen any auto market doing it for their new car until at least 6 months after that. Again, few months later, we will be in the driver's seat.
  • Options
    mmc8mmc8 Member Posts: 8
    HST1 - I do not believe Edmunds likes people to post group deal info on this board. I have made my e-mail public, so you can contact me. The deal ended being $1K over invoice.
  • Options
    I have seen many different "opinions" on the topic of fees associated with Toyota. Does anybody know the real word on these fees and not opinions???

Is TDA (Toyota's advertising fee) negotiable?

I am hearing something about a "holdback fee?" What is that????

Thanks.

mmc8
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    About TMV Pricing which will help explain how pricing is broken down, fees, what to pay/not pay, etc.

Dealer Holdback

Also, read the 10 Steps: Buying a New Car which has helpful advice on what fees are legit and what are questionable.

Happy shopping!
  • Options
    Dealers add a certain % of the MSRP to the invoice (Toyota is 2%). Let's say the invoice is $20000 for the car, dealer invoice will show $20400 (2% = $400). They use the holdback to post ads on TV, radio, newspaper and basic maintenance. They are not losing money even they sell you the car for $1 above the dealer invoice. That's why I am saying they are making $3K or more on Sienna. The different between invoice and MSRP plus 2% holdback. BTW, you don't negotiate (or mention) the holdback. People simple usually negotiate the price of the car. Most importantly is the out the door price.
  • Options
    LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Holdback is holdback.
    TDA is for advertising.
    Other items are finance something and gas.

These items are built into the invoice to make you think that the dealers pay "invoice-inflated", and basically, that's what your target price to pay should be.

A note on why pay MSRP - because of Macro Economics. Supply and Demand determines the market price. Would you pay $5000 of MSRP to get an 03 Sienna; or do you pay (close to) MSRP now for the '04; or wait a year.....that's a personal decision based on needs, wants, and the ability to pay.
  • Options
    Thanks for both responses above. But I am still not clear.

I have not seen a Sienna invoice, but from what I am hearing, there are a few line items..

1) one for destination
    2) one for TDA
    3) one for holdback fee (is this the same thing that 1021 is talking about?)
    4) and maybe a few others

I am still not clear whether or not the TDA fee and the "holdback" fee are negotiable or do they have to be paid?

In other words - if I was paying "invoice" would I be paying "just invoice" or "just invoice + TDA + holdback" etc?

Maybe part of the confusion stems from the fact that Toyota apparently lists the holdback on their invoice, whereas most manufacturers don't. I do not know, since I have not seen an invoice.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Toyota and other auto marker don't list that the holdback. Depends on the auto marker, dealers usually add 2 to 3% of the factory invoice (few auto marker don't have holdback). Like mmc8 mentioned, they are build into the invoice and makes you think that is the invoice cost. If they show you that and sell you at the dealer cost, they still make money (2 or 3% of MSRP). Maybe I was correct, but I believe the holdback also use for ads and basic maintenance for the first 90 days in the lot. When I was in the market for my Kia Sorento, I asked my dealer why there is a different ($500) between their invoice and the one on edmunds or Kelly Blue Book. You can learn a lot of from Tips & Advice. Invoice can be found on Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book.
  • Options
  • Options
    lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    Hi everyone,

JUST A SUGGESTION thats all.

Blandfordm knows this already, but it should be noted that when you post your pricing you should also consider posting your zip code. This way we can somehow analyze your pricing correctly. To give you an example, over where I am, zip code 07621, for the XLE, I am only giving one option, it's a take it or leave it deal.

Now changing the zip code to an Atlanta zip code you are given five different types of optional packages, and in California you are given four.

Obviously, bottom drive off price and what exactly is in the car is what counts. Just something to consider when you are telling us what type of pricing you receive with what packages.
  • Options
    So what is TDA and does everyone pay this seperately from the price the deal is nego. to?

When I sit down in the finace office am I going to see an extra $500 for TDA on top of what I negotiated, or is it going to be included in the numbers so it is not an additional 1/2 k that I have to calculate into the equation of am I getting a good deal or not?
  • Options
    lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    As I noted above, on Toyota's site, I am only given one option for the XLE, but I don't know if this is entirely true when you go to the dealership.

Has anyone found out if the dealers are offering the same or different packages to what you are able to configure on Toyota's site?

I kind of find it hard to believe that if I walked into a Toyota dealer tonight, they are going to tell me, here is your choice, nothing else, not too flexible on their end. If that is not the case, then Toyota's site is awful that if leads you to believe otherwise.
  • Options
    I do not believe the Toyota website is that accuarate, because if I remember correctly you can not choose AWD on any of the base models. Also, when you first open up the pages for the new Sienna you do see the Limited, but when you go to build your own, the Limited is not an option. So I end up picking the XLS with package #5 (DVD and color keyed spoiler). The price seems great but I do not believe I am getting the Limited options that realy want, such as the front and rear parking sensors, or Awd.
  • Options
    kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    Limiteds have everything standard except for the DVD/Navigation/Spoiler packages. You'll get the sonar and laser guided cruise.
  • Options
    jh316jh316 Member Posts: 3
    where in CO did you make a deal?
  • Options
    tomzaktomzak Member Posts: 5
    AFTER Typing and Dialing my fingers to the Bone,
    when I mention a few I-NET Pals Claim buying 2004
    Sienna at 2 PER-CENT over Invoice, Dealers contact
    ed just HAVE A GOOD LAUGH at MY EXPENSE!! Would
    THOSE LUCKY BUYERS be Kind Enough to tell me WHICH
    Small Town Dealers WILL do this?? {PLEASE include
    Name,City,State,and Phone # ..) I Live in the
    CHICAGO area, but willing to travel Several Hun-
    dred Miles. I haven't seen an 8 PASSENGER, but
    MAY want one over a 7-PASS...PROS and CONS PLEASE??
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information.