Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Meet every Edmunds Bonneville poster!
  • Options
    skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    I am flexible. June at the mall, August at your camp. Be glad to bring refreshments or whatever in August.
    Look forward to whatever is decided.

Ed
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I think I'll post here so Tpken will come meet me :-D
  • Options
    smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Ken - Either or both dates work for me. Whatever you want to do is fine.
    Stephen
  • Options
    Hmm - Texas and Switzerland - I really do want to see both of those places!

Ken
  • Options
    theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Had to break the cycle. My tire pressure warning went off over the weekend - one tire was down to 28 psi. Yikes that thing is sensitive.

We took delivery of the navy blue metallic '01 Grand Prix GT last Friday - the two cars look gorgeous together. Pics are on their way!

BTW, I've been seeing more Bonnevilles recently - saw a blue SSEi yesterday morning, a silver on in the afternoon and a white SSEi in the evening. The word's on the street!!!!

Take care all, Dan
  • Options
    Glad to hear you have your new member of the family. Can't wait to see pictures.
    Stephen
  • Options
    zzoom1zzoom1 Member Posts: 31
    I enjoy this site! We've been looking around at large sedans and decided on a 2001 SE My wife decided to chuck the mini van and get a car. Yes! She's always like the Grand Prix but when she saw the Bonneville, that was it. Got a maple red with taupe leather interior, all options except for sunroof. Learning that there are not a lot of Bonny's on the road, so for now, it's nice having something a bit different. My question is, owners manual says do not tint windows due to antenna's built in front and back windows. Have any of you guys tinted, and if so, how is the reception? In Florida, it's a killer without tint.
  • Options
    Has anyone beat that yet in their Bonneville? I drove 341 miles from Maine to the Pa border and filled up as usual at a truck stop for $1.57 per gallon. Taking 10.6 gallons to fill figures out at 32.2 mpg and regular gas to boot. Driving speeds were fairly constant at around 73 mph except 3 tie-ups on I-84 in Ct for accidents. A/C was on for about the last 2 hours.

On the way I saw - for the first time - an SSEi (or SLE) in my color - Spruce Green. Couldn't make out which badge it was. Also saw SE models in Dark Bronzemist, Light Bronzemist and the ubiquitous Galaxy Silver.

Have a great day everyone

Hey Iceman - what days do you get the GP? Gotta do a lottery or something with the Icewoman, Dan!

Ken
  • Options
    Cngrats to you Randy and your Mrs. for selecting the Bonneville. A great color combo too! We see a lot of those Maple Reds up here in New England (reminds me of a tree in my yard in October).

Please be sure to check out our owners' club here and if you can, please post some pics of your new car.

The Bonneville is truly a great car - and there is little argument that is one of the best vehicles the GM builds.

Best wishes for many years and miles of driving enjoyment.

Ken
  • Options
    bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    You'll enjoy the car...they're really fantastic.

You're right; you don't see many Bonnies here in the Sunshine State, and many of those you do see tend to be rentals.
  • Options
    boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Zzoom-
    Congrats on the 2001 SE, and I'm happy to hear that it is replacing a mini van. Maybe the mini van "era" is over.

tpken-
    My average fuel mileage so far is 17.4 around town. (2001 SSEi)
    I don't get on the highway much so I haven't seen what she'll do on a long run.
  • Options
    homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Nope - cant beat 32. I did hit the expected average of 32 for a short highway trip - but the long journey of last weekend (1600KM) revealed an average 17 mpg. almost exclusively freeway and average speed about 130KM-140KM.
    sure was nice running though - sometimes worth the price of gas.
    maybe i should have left the AC off ?
  • Options
    I haven't yet had it out on the highway. In local commuting, I've averaged 24.0 since we bought it in December. I try to stick to using PetroCanada gas (regular - 87 octane) gas - it's cleaner and lower sulfur than some of the competitors up here.
  • Options
    fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    The best i got so far is 25&1/2 - mostly highway-
    went 388 miles and car took 15.2 gallons of gas.
    This is still better than my 91 Buick Skylark- with a 2.5- Tech 4- on average- all highway driving- i'm averaging around 23&1/2 with the Buick.
    GENERAL INFO!!!- just had the car in for routine 3000
    mile oil change etc,- the car now has 17,400 miles on her and over 11,000 since the original problem with the BRAKE PADS- in addition to routine service- i had them remove the wheels and check the rotors,pads etc- everthing is working fine!!!-

Chuck
  • Options
    Can i ask what brake problems you had? I spent many trips to the dealer early on to get front brake pads - rotors - fixed or replaced.
    I think it went something like

1-change pads
    2-change pads, resurface rotors
    3-change pads, change rotors
    4-change pads

all in a 3 month period.

would not live with the "it's suposed to squeal" story.
  • Options
    Good to see you're back on line again buddy! We've missed you!

Ken
  • Options
    I posted the problem on MSN- Carpoint- customer reviews
    for 2000 Pontiac bonneville- (Read the one listed as "RUPERT ID/read this/RE BRAKES SE")
    I had to have the brake pads changed, rotors re-cut and also changed- also within a 3 month period- July to Sept 2000- from 5000 miles to 7000
    miles on the car- the PROBLEM WITH MY CAR was that the brake pads in the box from the Factory
    were NOT the correct brake pads that were supposed to be in the box for the car!in other words, the box and pad # was correct on the outside,
    but the pads placed inside the box were the wrong pads for the car. Since they fixed this problem in Sept-2000-and the car had 7000 miles on it- no more brake problems- as i mentioned- i've put on over 11,000 more miles- NO NOISES- NO GRINDING.

If you are still having problems- ask your dealer to check that the correct pads are on your car-
    Just as an after thought- my vehicle was made in Oct99- when was your's manufactured?
    Maybe this is a problem that others also had and GM should be made aware that something is wrong with their shipping/packing brake parts etc.

Mine could be an isolated incident- then again- maybe not- anyone-else having or had pre-mature brake problems on 2000 bonneville's?

Ken- thanks for the warm welcome back!!!!
    I posted a message last week- re- rear sway bar-
    can you get back to me at your convenience and let me know if its worth having done etc.

Thanks

Chuck
  • Options
    refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    Just got my PCM back from ASE yesterday. What little I've driven it I can tell the difference. They raised the rev limiter.It has better throttle response also. I'll really get on it tonight when I go to work.
  • Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Hi, checking in from Paris, France, where I am on business this week. (Isn't the internet great?) Just wanted to say that I wish I had my SSEi here, it would be a blast, and it would also draw stares (not sure if they would be good or bad). These French cars, they are something. We've got a Citroen (sp?) with that funky hydraulic suspension, it goes up and down like a tricked-out low-rider, really wierd. But I have to say, these diesel engines are as smooth and quiet as the gas ones (and almost as clean). Anyway, these roads and 90 kph speed limits (on the country roads) would make for some great Bonnie driving. Ah well,...
  • Options
    rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    Matthew-

Tell us more about the PCM reprogramming you had done. Did you have to pull your old one & send it, leaving your car unusable for awhile, or did they send you one & you did an exchange? Have you really run up against the rev limitation? I've never gotten my car going that fast (yet). Also, in a previous post on the mods board you mentioned some headers. Is there a web page for the 'Other Guys'? I couldn't find one. What other mods have you done?
  • Options
    refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    I had to send my PCM to Anaheim Ca. I sent it next day air and they shipped it back the same. It took 4 days. Their web site address is asechips.com. their Ph.# is 714-632-9344. They raise the rev limiter the car revs higher before it shifts to the next gear. They also change the air fuel ratio. I just received the headers today. The web site for them is theotherguysproducts.com you can also see them at the grandprixstore.com look under exhaust. I wish I could post a direct link but I have webtv and don't think I can. It will be a week or two before I can have them put in. I also have Thrashers CAI, Rats stage 2 throttle body a couple of Vortex high flow mufflers, ajustable fuel pressure regulator, 180 deg thermostat. 3.5 pulley.
  • Options
    intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Refiner:

You're INTENSE!

Scott
    2000 Bonneville SSEi
    Stock: 15.800 @ 89.60 mph
    4/14/01: 14.555 @ 94.75 mph
    5/19/01: 14.163 @ 98.50 mph

p.s. - before you try the header installation, make sure you order yourself a Grand Prix transmission dipstick. Learn from my trials and errors!
  • Options
    Mine also was made in Oct 99. the brake problem appeared around the same mileage you speak of. The squeal - grind was not under hard braking - but light to medium.

its been gone for over a year now - but it was a pain.
  • Options
    pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    My commute is 78 miles round trip on Chicago's toll ways. My average for 18 months city driving is 19mpg. On long highway trips, on realistic roads (the roads without 7 million people!) I ussually average 24 mpg.
    How do y'all get 32 mpg?
    I have a 2000 SSEi with a drop in K&N.
  • Options
    It seems like we had the same problem and the same corrective measures by our dealers by replacing the brakes and rotors.
    I also agree, it was a PAIN for me too because
    i'm not the one using the car monday-fri- the wife is!!! and par for the course- when i got to use the car on sat-sun- NO NOISE, NO GRINDING, ETC
    @$$$%% are you talking about??? was usually the way the conversation went until it finally happened to me!! Talk about eating CROW!!!!
    anyway- its been fixed and ok from Sept 2000
    Question- your car was also built in OCT 1999- did you take ownership in Oct or a different month?- I'm curious because i took ownership in March of 2000- the car was sitting in the dealers lot from Oct 99 to Mar 2000- entire winter-
    not being used- possible rotors rusted from bad winter weather etc??? I really don't know- i'm not a mechanic but my dealer did say that was a
    possibility-but they were replaced two times after that- third time was because of the wrong pads.

General Info- just got my Summer 2001- Pontiac Driving Excitement Magazine! All you SSEI owners- good info in the Special Bonneville Section in regards to your HUD and Driver Info Center.

Also good reading about the Orion, Michigan Assembly Plant and a great story on the next page "BONNEVILLE MAN"

Regards,

Chuck
  • Options
    stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I saw a Bonneville a few days ago in your color (dark forest green). That's the first time I've seen a Pontiac in that shade of green. The Grand Prix comes in that color too but I haven't seen one yet. I think Pontiac must have come up with some new colors for 2000. Do you know if dark bronzemist (in Grand Prix) is a new color? I've only seen one other Grand Prix in that color and I'm not even sure if it's bronzemist. It's brown but doesn't quite look like the same color.

I would ask on the Grand Prix forum but there isn't a lot of activity on that forum and I figured you may know the answer.

Incidentally, the dark forest green was a nice looking color.

(Sorry Bonneville owners for crashing your forum with a Grand Prix question.)
  • Options
    Don't ever hesitate to visit us here in Bonneville land. We don't get too many female points of view around here and it's always refreshing.

The Dark Bronzemist has been out for Bonneville for 2 years now - not sure about Grand Prix - it seems that GM is on a roll with that color - you see Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Chevys and of course Pontiacs everywhere in varying hues of that shade. Check out any GM lot and you're guarranteed to spot a few.

I'm glad you liked the "Spruce Green" Bonneville yo saw. I had not initially realized what a rare color it is. There have been a few Grand Ams that I've spotted wearing that paint but only 2 other Bonnevilles so far this year and no Grand Prix yet. It was only offered in 2000 for Bonneville.

I hope you're enjoying your new Grand Prix.

Come see us again whenever you like

Ken
  • Options
    I used to get a Pontiac magazine but for some reason it stopped coming. I guess I'll have to ask my dealer to sign me up again.
    Ken - Has there been any further interest in a meet?
  • Options
    rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    Matthew- Thanks for the info. I sure would like to test drive your car or Scott's! The headers are advertised as being for a Grand Prix, but they fit the bonneville OK, or will they require a lot of modification? Same with the Thrasher CAI; did it fit right in or did you have to fiddle with it? I has sent them an email some time ago asking about a Bonneville version but they never answered.
  • Options
    I was just catching up on posts I missed over the past few days & noticed I missed the opportunity to welcome Randy to our fold. I know you'll love your Bonneville. That 3.8 Series II is a gem and the car's size and road manners are perfect for the type of driving we all have to bear with these days. The good news is that it's also fun (and comfortable) on the open road. Keep us apprised of your experiences - most of us here can't get enough Bonny info.

Cheers! Dan
  • Options
    Again, glad to be a new member to the Bonny Club.
    I'll try again, anyone tint their windows on 2000 or 2001 model, and if so, how is radio reception? Also, any of you guys drop in a straight K&N filter replacement and do think it was worth it. My experience has been it depends on the engine in how it responds to the K&N. I have a Contour with 2.0 litre Zetec that acts like a different car(better) with the K&N. I've put them in other cars and noticed little or nothing. On a final note, my wife simply loves this car. The 2000 Mazda MPV which the Bonny replaced simply could not get out of its own way with the 2.5 litre Ford duratec engine in it.
  • Options
    kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    I have a drop in K&N filter and really cannot tell the difference between it and the paper filter it replaced. But it's nice to know it's there and that I won't have to get another one for a ton of miles.

KZM
  • Options
    pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    My windows are tinted as dark as Indiana law will allow (I bought the car in that state), I think it is 30%. No problem with radio reception. I wouldn't think any tint put on the inside of the windows could cause a reception problem.
    I installed the drop in K&N and did notice that it seemed to smooth out the power because it was breathing easier. No noticable difference in gas mileage. The big advantage is not having to keep buying the paper filters. I recommend it.
  • Options
    pturner-
    thanks for the info on tint, I probably will replace stock filter with K&N in due time primarily to not have to replace again, any extra air intake will be a benefit as well.
  • Options
    I tinted my 2000 right away - so i cant attest to a difference in reception - but it does seem better than my other bonne (could be the double antenna though)

i also just have the drop in filter and couldnt confirm that it runs better - but we both breathe easier i suppose cause the best is in there.

if i end up buying the car - ill put a cone on it.
  • Options
    It was sunny and hit 95°F here today - a good 104°F with humidity. The Bonny's A/C held up extremely well - in fact, my wife found the car too cool.

Thanks General!
  • Options
    tpken - looks like I got my greens mixed up. I thought the shade of green was the same for the Bonneville and Grand Prix. I'd be looking long and hard for a Grand Prix in your color! The Grand Prix green is called dark forest green.

Anyway, the Bonneville I saw in your color must have just been washed because it had a nice shine to it (as I'm sure yours does).
  • Options
    that color sounds like its pretty sharp looking, I have not seen a green bonny yet here in Tampa Bay area, I'll keep a look out
  • Options
    I've seen but one (an SSEi)
  • Options
    ginman3ginman3 Member Posts: 11
    Ken, sorry I haven't answered earlier about the meet later this month. I've been so busy (and tired) from working at the cabin that this is the first time I have been on-line in over two weeks. As much as I would love to attend, we'll really be in high gear as far as construction goes so it doesn't look like it is in the cards.
    Saw a silver SSEi poking its nose out of a garage the other night on the way home from Portland. Other than Ken's and another silver SE I saw the same night I visited Ken nearly three weeks ago, that has been it here in Maine. Pontiac must be a tough sell in this part of Maine since it doesn't sell a pickup truck so you rarely even see GPs.

Mark
  • Options
    Well guys - in case anyone does not know how much I love driving this Bonneville - here's the proof (that I am certifiable!)

I left Pa after work Thursday evening around 6 for the return trip to Maine. I knew I'd stay overnight somewhere along the way so I headed north into New York state and figured I'd drive up to Binghamton and maybe over to Albany to drop by some cousins' on the way.

Well to make a long story short - I decided to turn left instead of right - and have my Friday lunch at Niagara Falls!

The Canadian side is so nice - beautiful parks and flowers - a wonderful place to visit. Our American side is disgraceful - the town looks like a slum neighborhood and the park is nowhere near as nice as the Canadian park.

So the 400 mile return trip turned into 900 - a nice road trip for the Bonnie - and she was great. I filled up in Buffalo for the return and it's on empty now - will be curious to see howw the mileage turned out - I suspect 29 or so with A/C on. The car rode beautifully - even without that stabilizer bar that I have not found the oppportunity yet to install - I promise I will and let everyone know how that changes the handling.

Have a great weekend all - it's as hot here in Maine as there in Niagara - 90s. But I hear the ocean is surprisingly warm so perhaps we'll head to the beach today.

Ken
  • Options
    I doubt if anyone would ever question your admiration of the Bonneville. I'm glad you took a jog north and ventured over to our side of the border (to try your hand at Metric no doubt - that and these amazing 0-60 times we get up here).

My mileage seems to have levelled off at 24 mpg and in fact has dropped down to 23.9 now that the a/c is on. That must be the best my Bonny is going to do in my local commuting driving - not shabby at all. I'm looking forward to taking 'er out on the highway and really testing the car out. I'll take your word for it that she'll perform amazingly.

Dan
  • Options
    Filled her up tonight - 17 gallons to run 500 miles - just a tad under 30 mpg at 75 mph and A/C on the whole way - can't complain about that!

During the drive I kept count, as usual, on Bonneville sightings - best hunting I've had since I've owned her. I scored 25 Bonnevilles in NY State, of which 20 were SE models and 5 were either SSEi or SLE - wish there was an easy way to spot the difference on the fly as they pass in the other direction.

Interesting color break down - SEs comprised:
    5 White
    5 Silver
    4 Midnight Blue
    2 Spruce Green (YESSSSS!!)
    1 Dk Bronzemist
    1 Lt Bronzemist
    1 Maple Red
    1 Black

SSEi/SLE broke down

2 Silver
    1 Black
    1 Spruce Green
    1 Midnight Blue

Sorry - couldn't get the breakdown of SR/no SR or interior color. I'm pretty good at spotting them but still no x-ray vision!

Someone had posted a suggestion (might have been another forum) that there really is no need for the base SE Bonneville. Sightings would suggest otherwise or else us SE guys just love to get them onto the highway more!

Ken
  • Options
    Got a couple of nice comments about the Bonneville today.

A guy at the gas station walked completely around the car checking it out. He was very impressed with the "new" style.

Next stop was the covenience store. I recieved a "cool car" comment from someone as we passed in the parking lot.

The Dark Bronzemist was really sparkling today.

Got to love it!!!!
  • Options
    I've noticed the Bonnevilles since the new 2000 style came out because of the tail lights that extend all the way across the back (a real sporty look) but have just recently been paying attention to colors. The three I've seen are Spruce Green, Maple Red and Dark Bronzemist. (I saw a Light Bronzemist at the Pontiac dealership.)
  • Options
    theyustheyus Member Posts: 3
    I have been a long time reader of this board (we have been driving Bonnevilles for a long time). Today, we have a 92 SSE (150,000 miles) and a 97 SSE (45,000 miles). Both have been great from the first mile with very little problems over the years. However, I have noticed recently that the 97 SSE has lost a lot of horse power. Even though it still runs smoothly overall, but acceleration is sluggish. Any ideas? Also, there is this "exploding gas can" type of noise from the back that really has puzzled me and the dealer from the very first day. It happens randomly so it is very difficult for the dealer to find the source. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Finally - I've seen other new Bonne's !
    Ive been very lonely on my side of Toronto as far as seeing other new Bonnevilles.

During the last year - I have seen maybe 5 - 6 tops.

Starting friday afternoon - i saw at least 6 on the weekend - almost all of them in my little ole town. Im guessing most were passing through . . .too bad.

Mostly SE/SLE - one other SSEi - and it was black too ! Not as shiny as mine , but then not everyone is as obsessed as I. Heres the funny )ironic) part. The other black SSEi, was also suffering from the same jacked up rear end as myself. It was plainly up 3-4 inches over normal height. Dealer says it is the load-level sensor, and are planning on replacing it tonight for me. It has become much more frequent, so much so that i now drive slowly to avoid nose dive and having my rear end stuck in the air.

Ooops, Im off topic - i did see a nice white SLE, a couple of bronzemist and a green. The other black SSEi and a black SE (very very dirty )I was gonna leave a note, but that that might be mean.

Bye
  • Options
    I have been seeing more and more Bonnevilles in my area as well. Maybe they are selling more of them?

None of the Pontiac dealers around here ever have any on their lots. When we were looking for ours (2001 SSEi) we had to travel all over the place just to see a sample of the different colors on the actual cars.

I don't want to see too many though, we like driving something unique.

Have fun
  • Options
    I agree - I like the "whats that?" look on peoples faces when i go by, or pull up next to them. Even the kids (Honda driving, sideways hat wearing kids) cant help themselves but look.

And of course - the fewer and Im thinking resales will be higher. Unlike a Sunfire or Grand Am, if there are not many of us - we might get an extra buck on trade or resale. (fingers crossed)
This discussion has been closed.