Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    I am perfectly happy with my 2.0 and I have no problem with getting in and out of traffic when and where I choose. Sure, it's not a pocket-rocket, but then neither are 70% of the other cars out there, and then the ones that are have brainless drivers behind the wheel anyways.

I have mine to 110 and it still had plenty to go. I doubt I'll ever run it to the max. There's really no need to.

The 1.8T and the VR6, however will go faster than 135, but I think they are governed at about 140 if I remember right. Either way, that's plenty fast for a consumer car.

This past weekend I went to my dealer and test drove a Wolfsburg Edition. Very sweet machine. I was a bit disappointed with off the line takeoff torque as it was initially undiscernible for the 2.0, but the 1.8T (expectedly) kept it's high-torque pull through the power band much better than the 2.0. Not to mention that the engine is worlds quieter, though I don't mind the 2.0's infamous growl.

I drove a 5-speed model as one of our members was complaining of a 'notchy' gearbox. The WE I drove had a very smooth gearbox. I was quite impressed.

-Jim

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.org

http://www.BlueLagoonJetta.com

• Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    So Jim, you think I should tell my friend 130 or is that pushing it? What do you think it can be taken to?
  • Options
    2000jettaglstd2000jettaglstd Member Posts: 1
    Any TDI owners out there? 42/49 MPG? Is that real? How do you like the car? Any problems?
    Thinking of buying a 5 speed. Any advice? THANKS!
  • Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    I don't think it'd make it, but I didn't push mine that hard because it was still new. I'd say probably 120-125, but that's just guessing. It still had plenty of acceleration at 100, which was enough for me.

-Jim

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.org

http://www.BlueLagoonJetta.com

• Options
    chrisddochrisddo Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the brake is a little soft but doesn't seem to inhibit any problems with me. My fan works quietly in all modes so it could be something. I am in Santa Monica CA where most people have BMW's and Benz's and a few have Jettas but none seem to have the sports Lux or the 17 inch wheels. It seems like scarce outfit. Do you or anyone know the best place to get a chip to boost my horsepower? Thanks!! Chris
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Chris - Go to www.vwvortex.com ARP (Audi Racing Performance - I think) has banner ads there, and their 1.8T chip seems to give the best boost. How does 196 bhp and 240 torque sound?

Jazz - I don't care what car you buy, NEVER pay for that dumb paint sealant, undercoating, or interior protection packages. It's a waste of money. You'll get the same results with a good quality wax for the paint. Buy a few cans of 3M Scotch Guard for the carpets/cloth seats. As for undercoating, it's unnecessary on today's cars. If they salt the roads where you live, wash your car frequently at aplace that has a chasis wash feature. Besides, the rust through warranty is long for a reason.
  • Options
    lbihnlbihn Member Posts: 13
    I have a manual 2001 Jetta GLS TDI. The mileage is right on, I drive 130 miles Round trip to work and have logged 11,000 miles since October. My average for this is 47.5 mpg, going 70-85 mph average on the highway. While breaking it in, I kept it at 65-70 mph, I got 49-51 mpg the first several thousand miles. I have heard of people getting higher mileage than this, (maybe better fuel and going with the wind). It depends on the calibration (and whether the car was built on a Monday or Friday or not :-) )

The great thing about this engine is for a few hundred bucks you can chip it out (see wetterauer and upsolute sites) and get 120 HP and 200 ft-lbs torque, still with nearly the same mileage. The 2.0 is definitely outmatched after this.

The only drawback I have seen with my TDI is the cold-weather starts, which are slightly rougher than normal.
  • Options
    tomb9tomb9 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know why the price of the Wolfsburg, listed on this site is so low, but has a markup of aprox. $3000 in dealer show rooms? The other VW prices are right on?
  • Options
    k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    Where do you live where dealers are marking it up? I bought my wolfsburg including all three option, monsoon, moonroof, and heated seats for 20,100 including destination charge. The best way to get a good price is to deal with the internet sales managers, from my experience.
  • Options
    fanou1fanou1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know a dealer in the bay area that has offers good service and sells Wolfsburg editions below MSRP?

PS Please do not suggest Bob Lewis, their service is something else!
  • Options
    carafanaticcarafanatic Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my 2001 Jetta GLX white fully loaded w/ 17" rims. I LOVE it. I went to Gilroy dealerships, dunno bout their after-sales service but their price is currently the best. Shop around, get some prices, and then go talk to the fleet manager in Gilroy. Fix the price first, then let them find the car you want. Works for me.

BTW, there are currently Special Financing on manual Jettas, I got 5.4% for 36 mos. Let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    landrumdhlandrumdh Member Posts: 11
    Hey,

I am counting the days until I go and buy my new jetta. Not going to get into details. But my question is some places I read state that the 5spd standard on the GLS 2.0L is an OD system. I was just wondering how you get an OD on a standard tranny, and what RPM the cars running at when your going about 70mph.

Thanks for the help.
    David
  • Options
    lbihnlbihn Member Posts: 13
    landrumdh,

OD is a bit of a misnomer, I believe anytime that you have a gear that allows the tailshaft RPM to exceed the engine RPM, (the gear ratio is less than 1) you can consider it an overdrive gear. 5th is probably a ratio just under 1.00 (.95??) RPM's on the highway depend much on this, and in a RWD car it has a lot to do with the rear-end ratio as well. (Not the case for Jettas of course.) With a little plotting on a graph (preferably a log plot), you can chart your car's RPM's vs speed, and by finding the peak HP curve (RPM's with the max HP) you can estimate pretty close what top speed would be for your car at that peak HP RPM, asked in an earlier post by blackjetta and bluejetta. (You must deduct some for high wind resistance)
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Ok, somebody give me a reason not to buy this 2001 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T 5-speed. We are going back to the dealer tomorrow to buy it I think, they are holding the car for me. I drove it yesterday and other than the fact the turn signals wouldn't work (blown fuse) it was a great car, very well mannered. I couldn't see much power because the roads were very icy but overall it handled the ice extremely well. I used to own a 94 Jetta GL and drove the crap out of the car and never had a problem, it was a good car, especially considering it had been wrecked 5 times (not by me). I love VW, they make great cars. I am just trying to find a reason not to buy this car, other than the fact I am giving up a 99 Nissan Quest SE that I adore, but that has a $600 a month payment that is killing me. The guys in the service department (this place is a Nissan dealer too) are telling me that the new Jettas don't do well in the cold, hmmm, they told me that the last time I bought a Jetta and it was never a problem. This may be an issue since I live in Alaska. I pulled the 2001 Jetta out of the line, it was around zero and the car hadn't been driven for a while, it started right up, no problem. I have been searching for a small car to buy that will get my payment down, this is the first car I have been excited about. Most small cars after a test drive its like "yeah, that's a nice car." Yawn. So, anyone have one of these cars? Any problems? Guess I am just paranoid, I always seem to end up with the lemon on the lot. Thanks for any info
  • Options
    2curious2curious Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering a Jetta(GLS). One of my main concerns will be MPG. However, I REALLY don't want to give up performance too much? I've read that the best overall engine in this group is the 1.8 T. Also, I read the post about the chip available for the TDI - Any helpful info on either of these engines would be GREAT.
  • Options
    dylanrndylanrn Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know when the jetta wagon's coming out? Also, any opinions about it? Thank you.
  • Options
    myrealheromyrealhero Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy Jetta. First Question, Whats the different between 1.8T and Wolfsburg edition other than sports package included. I think Wolfsburg edition comes with sports package and manual shift & no auto option, but don't have leather seat option? Can i still get leather seat option with Wolfsburg? 1.8T and Wolfsburg engine performance same quality? So bottom line, is it better to get 1.8T with Sports package or Wolfburg edition? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    myrealheromyrealhero Member Posts: 2
    This will be my first German car. Is VolksWagon reliable? I heard German car break down easy, Is that a true statement? I had Honda civic for 10 yr and have 300000 miles and had NO problem... How about VolksWagon? Thanks!
  • Options
    668668 Member Posts: 13
    I own a stock 1998 Jetta TDI and at least in the manual tranny, the TDI is no slouch. It is a great passer and highway cruiser. It is good away from the stoplight and I still get 49-51 mpg. Even stock a TDI is a better performer than the 2.0 NA. I haven't driven the 1.8t, but like the TDI it's torque plateau starts at about 1900 rpm. For those asking about highway rpms, I find that 2000 rpm is right at 55, 2500 rpm is 70 mph. I was leery of diesel, but this car has been a "gas" to drive. With a 500 mile weekly commute I need something that got better than 31 mpg.
  • Options
    chrisddochrisddo Member Posts: 5
    Luckily VW did some nifty modifications to their 1.8T engines on their beetles and Jettas...but not on the A4s for 2001. The more sufficient self-timers and more powerful torque with ASR on make it a great engine. This means virtually no idle cool-down after pushing the engine or starting up. But..like every car, of course, if you push it hard for a long amount of time it is safe to say you should let it cool down. Just throwing out some info for those interested.
  • Options
    beeblefesterbeeblefester Member Posts: 3
    Next week, I hope to purchase an '01 Jetta, with the optional luxury and leather packages.

I really want the black leather interior. Problem is, one of my friends *warned* me that this would be *very* hot in the summer and said that he would not purchase black on black again. Another car on the lot is silver outside with a black leather interior. I prefer the black on black but am a bit concerned given my friend's comments.

Can anyone with a black or dark blue exterior and a black leather interior comment on this. I live in Ottawa Canada and believe it or not, we hit the high 80's and 90's in the summer (with a lot of humidity). Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and will influence my decision.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    turbeauxturbeaux Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8L Turbo and I love my car. My face lights up just thinking about it. The acceleration and handling for a compact car cannot be beat, I feel like I zoom around town. Gas mileage on the turbo is still pretty good, I get around 25 or 26. The car feels luxurious too, and my favorite part (one I did not think I would EVER use in Louisiana) is my heated seats. They are very convenient. The Jetta is just one cool car from the blue lights in the dash, to the window you can roll up and down with the key, to the auto up and down feature. My car impresses everyone who sees it and rides in it. My only complaint is the miniscule back seat. I would think about who might ride in it. We purchased a 2001 GMC Jimmy today so we could actually ride with passengers. I would not give up my Jetta for anything. Not a single thing has gone wrong until two days ago when the clasp on the armrest broke, but that is not a big deal considering I have had the car 9 months and it has 8600 miles on it. Plus, all your oil changes and maintence are free for two years. To summarize there is NO reason not to get this wonderful vehicle. A good note for Volkswagens, my mom owned one when we lived in Germany and has said she has never had a better car. Oh, one more thing that is a drawback, the cup holders are in front of the cd/radio and anything that drips drips there. But for 20 bucks you can get a cup holder that fits into the console.
    Good luck with your Jetta
  • Options
    turbeauxturbeaux Member Posts: 2
    I have black leather and live in Louisiana. My seats have never been a problem because I got the windows tinted with sun blocker reflective tint, It is NOT mirror tint, it looks like regular tint but it keeps the sun out. Also the leather wrapped steering wheel does not get as hot as any other car i have driven.
    This is just a great car.
  • Options
    rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    I used to drive an old Nissan Maxima which was gold with black leather. Later in the car's life, the air conditioning went, and it was not worth fixing it. I loved the car, but hated the interior. It was terrible in the summer. I got to the point where I had to put towels on the seats so I could sit on them. The seudo-plastic steering wheel was just as bad, as I'd usually have to wait five to ten minutes before I could touch the wheel.
    As turbeaux said, the leather wheel will stay cooler and the sun-blocker tinted windows would also help, but I, personally, wouldn't go with the black interior if it were up to me. I realize that my older Maxima would not have been as well insulated as some of the cars might be today, but this dicision is one you'll have to live with. It not easy to change the interior. :)
    Keep in mind this is only MY opinion, but Yours is the one that really matters.

Good luck making your decision.
  • Options
    jnb66jnb66 Member Posts: 2
    A Jetta GLS VR-6 currently tops my list of potential new cars, and a purchase needs to be made soon. VW recommends premium gas for the "best performance," but does not say it is required. Does anyone have experience in running regular in the Jetta 6. Is there a knock problem, any significant loss of performance or mileage? At 15 to 20 cents less per gallon, I would much rather run regular than premium.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hey,

I have come up with another question for you all about the 2k1 jetta. Again I am planning on getting a 2k1.5 jetta during the summer, it's going to be a GLS 2.0, lux, monsoon, indash CD, and cold weather. For the windows they work from the door with the key, which I can see myself using alot!!

My mom just got a Lexus RX300 2k1 model. It has the same window feature where it will open and close all windows and sunroof from the drivers door with the key. But it will also do it from the remote for the car. If you hold the lock button everything will close, and if you hold unlock everything will open. Does the jetta do the same thing? I wanted to test this when I test drove, but the dealer uses the valet key not the real thing "it's to expensive to replace if lost or damage" was their reason. And the guy didn't know to much so I didn't even bother asking my question.

Thanks for the help. Also, how is the Galactic Blue, and Baltic Green holding up with paint chips? Those are my two leading choices for outside color right now.

David
  • Options
    87 octane is the required minimum. I sense a slight hesitation w/ my 2k1 GLX when I brought it home from the dealer. I guess they put 87 octane or something. I just put Chevron Octane 91 in it today and it is gone. I don't know if this will happen with all 87 octane but my advice is go with the highest octane your wallet feel comfortable with, you car will pay the dividend in terms of improved gas mileage which will offset the higher price.

I can say that regardless of octane, once I got to highway speed evrything is silky smooth.
  • Options
    Get at least 1.8T! It is so much fun. The window feature only works with the key. you can either close all windows and sunroof, or open the windows using the key. Regarding valet key, your dealer is giving you bull. Where I bought the car not a single valet key in sight whenever I test drove a car.

In any case, congrats on your decision. Repeat after me, I will get the 1.8T...
  • Options
    I am currently a freshman is college, and do to some medical stuff I've had to commute to school for 3+ weeks this semester, and I decided that I liked it better than the dorms. So parents agreed to pay for a part of a new car, and I have some other family help. But I will be paying about 1/2 of the car, and all insurance, gas, and whatnot. And having a turbo engine for a 19yr male is NOT a good idea. I drove the 2.0 and it had plenty of pep. If I need a larger to to haul around many people we have a 3.3L Caravan Sport, and a 3.0L Lexus RX300. Both MOVE when the gas is applied.

Also my grandfathers old benz had a similar key to the VW/Audi key where you press the button and it flipps out on his 94-96 model, I don't remeber the year exactly. But now the key no longer flips, so if you close it you have press and hold the button then sorta pry it loose. Anybody notice this happening with their keys?

And I was a little pieved about not being able to see / the real key to drive the car, but I understand their reasons. The keys cost cost over 100 to replace / repair. Before I buy I will ask to see the real key though. Plus the dealer around us is a sleaz, could tell by the way he acted when I test drove, kept trying to get me to go to the GLX model. *sigh*

Looks like I'll be buying this car from www.carsdirect.com again. That's how we bought the lexus, worked great!!! The price is only 200 over TMV. So if the dealer won't go below carsdirect I'll buy through them. Very good service!!!!!

David
  • Options
    sonyfocussonyfocus Member Posts: 9
    To JNB66 and others with question regarding premium gas in V6 engine:
    I recently purchased a 2001 Jetta GLS V6. My dealer told me before I bought the car that it takes premium gas. Its also clearly stated on the inside of gas cap and in the owner's manual that premium gas should be used. I've read in posts above that some owners do mixes at fill-up, i.e., premium gas then at half tank fill with regular octane and the mix adds up to the appropriate octane percentage. Now the question is, you're thinking of buying a great car with a great engine. You know beforehand that premium gas is preferred. Therefore, you will be paying (at today's prices) an additional $2 to $3 per fill-up at empty. I personally have no problem with this and want to keep my V6 at peak performance. If this is an issue or problem before you buy the car, you may want to re-think your preference. I test drove all three available engines and definitely went for the V6, which, of course, is more expensive. My advice? Use the premium gas. Keep your car happy.
  • Options
    Ok, I am sitting here trying not to worry. I am waiting for a call from the VW dealer to let me know if I can get the car or not. My hubby and I test drove a 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T on Saturday and since VW credit was swamped we didn't get an answer about leasing the car. So, the dealer is supposed to call today to let me know if we are approved or not. I didn't think I would like going back to a small car since I drive a 99 Nissan Quest SE, but that Jetta is too much fun. That's probably what's making this so hard, I want that car!!! If we don't get the Jetta I guess it will be a used Toyota Camry........boring.
  • Options
    I did an experiment. We had several weeks of temperatures consistenly below freezing. I ran through two tanks of gas. On one tank, I drove like a grandma and got about 23 mpg. The other, I drove normally - I don't race everywhere, but will open the throttle up a lot when accelerating. I got 22.

Then it warmed up with temps above freezing most of the time. Did the same grandma/speedracer test with two tanks and got about the same milage - 25. I never thought ambiant temperature had much effect, but I guess it does. And in the summer I remember getting more like 26-27. This is mostly urban driving. Anybody care to comment/share experience?

Oh, and I agree with sonyfocus 100%, if you think that paying for premium gas is too much, you're being rediculous. Just brown bag lunch twice more each month and there you are!!
  • Options
    Cold weather definatly has an effect on gas mileage. I live in Alaska and the temps can drop to -50. The Nissan Quest that I drive right now gets at best 18 mpg in the winter, in the summer the van gets around 23 mpg. A cold engine isn't as fuel efficient as a warm engine and you figure in the winter it takes the car a lot longer to warm up. I always dread winter, have to spend so much more on gas.
  • Options
    moira_vwmoira_vw Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone bought a car via an online seller (like greenlight or carsdirect) and bought a dealer-priced option such as a CD changer? I ordered a Jetta ages ago with an online seller's upfront pricing, which did not include the CD changer cost because that price is set by the dealer. Now the seller has itemized it at $495. I thought you could get them for $350, but now I fear using the online, third party route the dealer won't deal on the CD changer. I'm pretty sure the vw.com used to offer the changer for sale for about $375, but that seems to have disappeared from their site (assuming I didn't dream it was there in the first place). Any ideas?
  • Options
    Well, I am going tomorrow to pick up my new Jetta. Finally got the call from my saleslady this evening and we are going tomorrow around 6 pm to pick the car up. Its Toronado Red with a Black cloth interior and the cold weather package. I sure hope the car is good, my last Jetta was a great car, never a problem I hope my new one is half as good as that.
  • Options
    Yes VW still does have the changer on their page for $350.00l. But it's only sold to dealers and most will require that they install it. We bought a lexus online via www.carsdirect.com, but we didn't have any dealer installed options. I would check with another local dealer and ask them if they could install a dealer in the jetta you already own. I would expect to pay around 400 to have it installed. It's going to cost me about $325 to have the indash installed in my car :-(.

I would not allow how much the changer costs to affect where you purchase the car. I know it might be incovient but it is an easy addon to the car when you find a dealer that will install it at an acceptable price.

Buy the car, and worry about the CD Changer later. It's more important you get the factory options and colors you want.

David
  • Options
    Hey,

Let us know who you like the car!!! I can't wait to get my jetta in a few months!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks. I am sure I will like the car just fine, although I do enjoy driving a minivan (hmmm, now I feel old). I will be sad to see my Nissan Quest go, but then I think back to all the fun times I had with my 94 Jetta and I can't wait to pick up my 2001 Jetta tomorrow. I like the toronado red, its a real head turner (hmmm, could get the cops going too), I plan on putting alloy wheels on it eventually and putting a CD player in it but other than that I will probably leave it alone. I can't wait to pull up beside some kid in his Honda........hehehe, I love playing who can beat who to the stoplight. Before I bought my Quest I had a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, it was fairly powerful, but the Jetta seems faster. I couldn't tell too much about power in the Jetta since the roads were so icy, can't wait for summer!!! I will update after I get the car home, I get to drive it on a 700 mile trip this week, poor thing.
  • Options
    Hey,

Yes I know what you mean, I'm only a teen but my parents have both had a 97 Gand Caravan Sport, and a 2000 Caravan Sport. Both are great cars to drive, lots of pickup and good handling cars for american cars that is. I cann't wait to dump my topaz that I have now. I got it to replace my 86 Gli which suffered a very well timed death. I was rearended then the electrical system died before repairs were started, so I took the money and donated the car.

I can't wait until July/Aug when I get to pickup my new jetta :-)

That trip will sufficient break in the engine. Check when the first oil change is, it may be overdue by the time you get back. My mom's lexus's first one was at 500mi. Just remeber no Cruise Control for 500mi.

Have fun.
  • Options
    tomas1tomas1 Member Posts: 3
    G'day,

I realize this is a Jetta forum, but I figure this issue is probably common to both Jettas & Passats... yes, it's an electrical problem...

I own a 2000 Passat Station wagon with the V6 engine and manual tranny. Since Xmas the "check engine light" has come ON & OFF for a few days at a time. I brought it to the dealer the first week of January and all they did was a computer reset + gave me a story about sensitive sensors & tightened government controls. Yes, they are clueless. Needless to say, a couple of days later, the light came back ON for a few days, then turned OFF for a day, and then turned ON..... When the Check engine light comes ON, it's usually accompanied by an "Emissions Workshop!" message in the middle message section of the dash. I've made an appointment with the dealer for Wednesday, but I fear that I won't get any further with them.... In case you're wondering, yes I've gone to different gas stations for gas and the gas cap has always been nice & tight. Do you have any ideas ? On pure speculation, I'm down to a faulty oxygen sensor or faulty idiot light or.... Help !

I've always owned Hondas/Toyotas and have had excellent reliability. I still like my Volks but I hope this isn't the beginning of a reliability issue....

Tom
  • Options
    Yuck, a Topaz........my hubby used to have an 86 Tempo, he hated that car. Don't have to worry about using cruise control on the trip this week, the roads are way too icy. As for the oil, we are planning on switching the car to synthetic oil on Sunday after we get back from our trip. At least we will get the break in done right away.
  • Options
    akangl: Last post for today, I swear. Will ya just post back after your long trip for how your break in period went. Also if you found having the temp controls so low, close to the shifter. I am considering asking the dealership to raise it up one notch when I get the inDashCD installed.

Also, has anybody else tried to have the temp controls raised. I'd like to do radio on top, temp in the middle and CD on the bottom, does anybody know if this is possible? I won't be able to bug the dealer with this question until Sat, so I was just wondering if anybody else knows the answer.

Thanx, David
  • Options
    I don't know what the problem could be. But your best bet is when you go to the dealer is ask what the stored code number is, and what it stands for. Then head over to http://cartalk.cars.com/Mail/BBS/Car-Questions/index.html . And post problem with the Engine light code number and translation. You should get a good lead within a day or so posted back. I recommend listening to Tester, he is generally right on the money!! Also anybody that has a solid green name is a regular, some are good, and some are trolls so beware.

David

• Options
    jimnimjimnim Member Posts: 1
    I own a 96 Jetta... its been an excellent car for me over the years. However, the front seat(s) are getting some wear, and I was looking to see if anyone had success with finding protective seat covers for Volkswagen models over the internet or otherwise. I'm looking for something a little less "cookie cutter" than what you would find in major retail outlets.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

jimnim
  • Options
    fturnerfturner Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting ready to ditch an 8yr old Tercel for something more sporty. (Not hard to do, I realize.) My heart wants the Mazda Miata but my head is seriously looking at a Jetta. I know all I need to know about the Miata but was looking for your insight about the Jetta. For under $20k it seems to be among the sportier small car/sedans out there. What's your take on VW in general and this car in particular?

Also, a few specific questions.

If I go with the Jetta, I'm deciding between the 1.8t and the TDI diesel. Regarding the diesel, will upkeep on this engine be any more expensive/difficult? Will it be difficult to find diesel fuel in and around metro Washington, DC? and, finally, is this one of those "next generation 'clean' diesels" ?

Thanks!
  • Options
    tomas1tomas1 Member Posts: 3
    David,

Thanks for your help. I'm bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow so I'll ask for the code. I'll post whatever I get back.

Thanks again,

Tom
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    Hey people, I don't know who to ask, so I thought I'd give it shot asking you guys. I'm a 17 year old male in NJ, and I'm getting a Jetta GLS. Problem is I live with my mom and she does not drive, so she doesn't have a license. Because of this, my uncle is going to be getting it for me, in his name, but he lives in the town over from me. Now as far as insurance, what do I do since insurance is under his name, but my address is different. Is that allowed, and if not, what would happen if I saw my address is my uncles?
  • Options
    riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    Some folks have asked if Jettas are reliable. I'd advise going to the maintenance and repair area and review the Golf posting on oil consumption. This is the same engine that is put in the Jetta.

I owned 88 Jetta. Got 130,000 out of it before selling. Engine and transmission, 5 speed were solid. Other parts of the car were average to below average. As far as cost of ownership, these cars are expensive to fix when they go down. I'm comparing their repair cost to Toyotas, Nissians, Ford and comparable GM products.

Seems to be a lot of satisfied owners on the Jetty post. Keep em and fix them for awhile and then post.

Also VW is an indifferent manufacter when it comes to responding to customer complaints.
  • Options
    VW is a different company now. Since redesigning almost their entire product line in 98/99, sales have grown steadily. VW engines have always been good. The 1.8T is shared with the Audi line, and it's low pressure turbo unit will prove to be very reliable. The 2.0, VR6 and TDI engines are of time-tested design and are generally considered bulletproof. People scoff these days at 2 valve/cyl engines. Why? Sure, they don't produce as much bhp per cu. in. but they are simple and extrememly durable engines.

The TDI is a clean engine, but VW is coming out with even "greener" versions. It has excellent torque for a diesel, and no, you won't have trouble getting gas in DC. If you commute in the Metro, you'll love the TDI (I used to live there).

Yes, VW has had some problems here and there, but overall their quality is much improved, and I think these 99-02 cars will have a good track record. I'll also admit VWoA hasn't been good to it's customers, but all my service experiences in the dealer have been excellent. I hear the same from other VW owners with increasing regularity.
  • Options
    moira_vwmoira_vw Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know exactly what the multifunction steering wheel does and why it's worth another $130 or so? Also, is the 3-point steering wheel gone (from the 2001 Jetta) now, or is it only history if you get the multifunction steering wheel? Thanks for your help -- I couldn't find these details elsewhere.