Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    focus - unless the price posted on the vehicle is the price they demand, then they're not a "no haggle dealer." TVM is good, but I think you can do better. BTW, I didn't see a luxury pkg (PDA) on Edmunds sheet. There's a PEA and PZA - which is it? I say shoot for $400-500 over inv.

teo - I test drove the VR6 and 1.8T back-to-back a few times and opted for the 1.8T for these reasons: adequate power, lighter front end = better handling/feel, better milage, cheaper insurance, tunability. You say your Impala has 200 hp/225 ft./lbs. torque? A chip in the 1.8T will give you 196 bhp and 240 ft./lbs.! Wow, and in a car that weighs probably 800 lbs. less!
  • sonyfocussonyfocus Member Posts: 9
    Vocus-Yes, I was the one who posted re: Sony Focus in accident. Insurance company has since totalled the car. I am still considering a new Focus, but really liked the Sony edition which isn't available new. As I recall, you don't care for the Focus, or am I wrong? Thought I remember you posting on the Focus discussion board, but don't have time to check right now.

Inav2121- No, I don't want the sport package. The price quoted does not include CD or monsoon at this time.

Fischda-The car is not sitting on their lot. They say they can get one for me (and have found four they can bring in). Luxury package should have been stated as PEA ($1225), not PDA.

Of course I intend to haggle on the price some!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Thanks for your input! I also wanted to know if there are any reliability issues with the VR6 and 1.8T models?

Thanks again!
    Well, the 1.8T is fairly new in the jetta, but has been in the Passat, Audi A4 and TT longer, so you may want to search there too. The tirbo unit is a low-pressure one, so I don't think there's much risk of it crapping out. VW's engines (1.9TDI, 2.0, 1.8T and VR6) have a great record IMO. The Jetta's VR6 is an 8-valve design and could probably take a couple of rounds from a .45 and keep charging. I've had zero problems with my 1.8T in 9K miles. The only engine-related problem that seems to have bothered a handful of owners is a faulty O2 sensor.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I have read about the infamous O2 sensor in the Jettas...is the same sensor used in all 4 engines? The fewest complaints, enginewise, seem to come from 1.8TDI owners, but again I have no desire to own a Diesel powered car.

Since you have driven both the VR6 and 1.8T, which one you think has the strongest 'Push me back into the seat' effect from standstill??

BTW Sorry for the 'dumb' questions, just trying to get a preliminary feel for the cars before I do the test drives tomorrow.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I rented one, and did not care for it. It was an LX model, and I hated the crank windows and all. Also, the amount of recalls in the first year scared me too. The seats feel a little uncomfortable to me as well, like they are curved the wrong way or something. And there is insufficient leg room to the pedals for me as well. It seems like I cannot stretch my legs out to touch the brake and gas because they are right under foot all the time. I do like the styling and all of the Focus though, but hate it because I would see myself coming and going all the time. :)
    Well, the VR6 pushes you back in the seat more than the 1.8T, but not that much more! I drove models with the stock suspension and found nose dive during breaking to be more pronounced in the VR6, and body roll just a bit more as well. The sport suspension offered now should improve things, so you'll just have to judge for yourself. The way I see it, you can get a loaded 1.8T with $ left over for a performance chip for less than the GLX (VR6). Even without the chip, the turbo can rock!
    My boss bought a GLS VR6 about three months or so ago. He got the 2001 Galatic Blue 5-speed with leather package (no multi-function wheel) for just over invoice from what he told me. He already has a crack in the windshield. I would be crying if it were me. :( Another co-worker of mine bought a 2000 GLX in bright red. I saw it in the parking lot today, all dirty with the wheels covered in brake dust. I need to go and tell him to wash that car, because it looks nasty dirty. The Jetta is too good looking a car to sit around dirty. :)
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    Hey people, its coming close to me getting the car, today I went to a dealer buy my uncle is trying to push me to get the 2.0 engine, and I really don't want it. He says I don't need the 1.8T but I feel like the 2.0 is just way to under powered and also, it doesn't have ASR which I think is really needed? Now what do you all think about the situation and the 2.0 engine? Also, the dealer gave me a quote for a 39 month lease, 0 down, 12k miles per year, for 330 a month, the car is a Jetta GLS with auto transmission, monsoon audio, luxury package and leather package. And, this other dealer gave me a quote for the same car but with the 1.8T for 48 months for 338 a month, which do you guys think I should opt for?
  • j2smellj2smell Member Posts: 13
    I am planning on getting my daughter a new Jetta. Would it be better to get the monsoon sound system and the optinal in dash cd player, or get an after market stereo. My dealer wants another $325 for the cd player plus the $287 invoice price of the Monsoon.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    so much for your dream car.

Get the VR6. The RPMs are just too high when you're just cruising down the road at 65mph with the 1.8t. I'm sure after you test drive both cars, you'll be able to make up your own mind. No matter which Jetta you get, it will be noisier (engine/wind) than your Impala above 70mph. That's what I noticed coming from my Accord Coupe V6. But you'll love the road manners and excellent steering of the Jetta.
  • cooljetta2001cooljetta2001 Member Posts: 7
    Just got back with a NEW Silver Jetta GLX, with Grey Leather. Looks awesome, I thought the black leather looks good, but the grey leather has a two tone effect, everything above the glove box, dash board etc is black and seats etc is grey...looks neat !!!

Got the GLX 5 Spd Manual trans with multifunction steering wheel for 23,500(incl dest chg, advtng, ) plus Tax. Just for the benefit of prospective buyers. This was from an exclusive VW no haggle dealership. Got sick of the old dealer I was working with.

The Monsoon sounds great for an above avg listner, maybe for an audiophile, it lacks the "punch"!! Also, I am a minidisc fan so will maybe replace the HU later. The other mod which I think will look cool is a little tinting and xenon lights!! I hear both are readily available. Any inputs will be appreciated....

Also, I was surprised when I heard the the warranty just covers the 5-10-20K mile service and not the 15K miles. Also, the squeaks and vibrations etc are coveres for 1 yr 12K miles.. I think it is high time VW starts giving better warranty on a cars costing $25K... The dealership talked about an extended warranty which he wanted me to think about. is it worth taking ?? $1500 for 5 yr 50K miles

I had also heard the V6 engine has to have premium gas, but the users manual recommends regular unleaded, and says that premium is needed for 1.8T.. any comments.
    Hey people, any comments on my previous would be appreciate, but also, I have a dilemma, I've been dreaming of the Jetta for a year now and I'm finally so close to getting it, but now I saw an ad for a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 for $339 a month for 36 months, with $2400 due at signing. This sounds good to me since I've heard it's a good car, but what should I do? My mom says the PAthfinder since it's bigger and also rated very well in crash tests. Also, for the buy price of the jetta, it is an expensive lease, $338 for 48 months on a Jetta GLS 1.8T, leathe rpackage, auto transmission, luxury package and monsoon audio, or $330 for 39 months on the same car but with the 2.0 enigne, what do you people think I should do? I mean for so long I've been wanting the Jetta but I mean this is a good deal on a Pathifnder whicj is like a 30k car, and though not loaded with leather and sunroof, it comes withgood stuff, any input would really be appreciated.
  • moira_vwmoira_vw Member Posts: 17
    cooljetta2001 -- Congratulations on getting your car! The silver/gray leather combination is also what I'm after, though in the GLS turbo. Did you have trouble locating one? I've been after this car for quite a while and dealers are acting like I'm asking for the moon . . . .
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    Congrats on your new ride!
    I'm sorry I never got around to e-mailing you those dealers in my area, but I've had alot of unexpected things keeping me busy as of late.. I think you'll like the silver/gray combo better. I used to drive a car with black leather and it was a real pain (literally) in the summer when the sun would shine on it. It also sounds like you got a good deal on it as well. I'm glad it all worked out for you.
  • markuliesmarkulies Member Posts: 12
    Looking for anyone who has leased a 1.8t 2001 jetta and what kind of rates you have. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Congrats!!!!!!!! Perm-Smile! ;-)

Anyway, for some nice xenon, try here: http://www.autostockinc.com/bulbs. html

You'll need the 9007's (HB5). At least one member of our club has them and is pleased with the bulbs and the buying experience.

As for tinting, I personally have F1's Millennium tint and I love it!

Also, the reason they don't cover' the 15K service is because there isn't any. 5K is your first service and then it's every 10K after that. Also, regular is okay for the VR6, as long as you have no per-ignition/detonation (pinging) problems, but you should see better performance with premium.

-Jim

http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com

PS.. Now you can join the Jetta Owner's Club! ;-) Click on the link above...

I'm picking up my new automatic, Galatic Blue w/grey leather interior, VR6, later today. Wooo hooo! Dealer is installing the single in-dash CD (my preference) today. Test drove all three, the GLS, GLS 1.8T and GLS VR6, and definitely preferred the VR6. It drives like one of those big old luxury cars. What a fun and easy car to drive.

Guess I'll have to change my sign-in name here!
  • downbylawdownbylaw Member Posts: 15
    could you tell me what dealer you bought your jetta from? you're in the midwest, right?

thanks.
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    Why would you wanna lease a car for 4 years? thats ridiculous, at 338 a month you're paying 17g's in lease payments. The wolfsburg edition jetta i ordered was 20,100 including destination charge. I'll OWN mine in THREE years. IF you're going to lease, you can get better payments than that, AND only do it for 2 years, Leasing is very complicated, don't get fooled by the numbers. http://www.carbuyingtips.com has a great leasing section. You know, if you can afford that 338 a month, why not save up, put 3-5K down and get your payment to OWN down to that amount, its much more logical in the long run.
  • cooljetta2001cooljetta2001 Member Posts: 7
    Jim - Have joined the Jetta Club.... What is a reasonable cost involved in getting the tint? Thanks for the update on 15K, I think I was told that the oil change service is every 5K miles. Anyway will figure out when I have to. How difficult is it to install the xenon bulbs? Do I have to go to the dealership for installation?

Do you or anyone recommend the extended warranty? Or if anyone has had good or bad exp comments will be appreciated..

moire_v. - I was actually looking for a Silver w/ black leather, but then the dealer showed me a Silver with Gray leather and I liked gray even more. Accg to what I have heard, a dealership can find a car in a day by looking at the central data base which has inventories of all dealers. My old dealer was not able to find a silver or black car for me, but this other dealer had one sitting in his LOT... so.. not sure what it means. It is also possible that the dealer negotiated a very low price I/ you and now he cannot trade-in with other dealers at that price. I think that is what happened in my case with the old dealership.... Anyway good luck on your hunt... I would recommend checking with other dealerships and see if they can match the price.

downbylaw - it is century vw in loveland(cincinnati), oh. Let me know if you are going there and I can give some reference and tips.

rwr- thanks.

for people who are contemplating betn GLS VR6 + cold wthr + Leather + Monsoon... you want to surely check the GLX out for about 1K more or maybe less if you are lucky to negotiate a good price. You get -

Climate control - So the CAR does not overheat or underheat, trust me I thought it was not worth but now while using it, gives a very comfortable ride when it is maintaining a steady temprature of 70F, w/o having to mess heat/ac .

Pwr memory seat.. this would be appreciated by people who have more than one drivers for the CAR like me. This memory seat feature also adjusts the side mirrors, and each seat+mirror setting can be saved and associated to an individual's remote key. So the seats and mirrors will adjust automatically based on which key is used to open the CAR. So, if you have more than one driver, this could be a great value addition.

Also, the mirror on the right tilts itself lower to show you the back left corner when the car is put in reverse. This might not be just a GLX thing but is worth mentioning and great if you back up in a garage.

Automatic dimming for rear view along with rain sensing wiper blades is also a BONUS.

For other GLX owners, is there an indication on the dashboard while using the "cruise control". The quick guide manual refers to it, but I see no indication on mine when I use the cruise from multifunction steering wheel control...the cruise works fine but with no indication as to whether it is on or off.
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    cooljetta2001: Welcome to the club! BTW: We have a new (under construction) website at: http://www.JettaOwnersClub.org

It will be expanding and growing soon! Much new stuff to be added!! My tint was about $180. Comes with an awesome warranty.

As for the 5/10/15/20/25K service? Well, the 1.8T's and the VR6's require more maintenance than the TDI or 2.0's, so there IS a service due every 5K for your VR6. Sorry about that...

I have the extended warranty. I bught mine through my credit union. I plan on keeping the car for the next 10-12 years, so it was worth it for me.

Otherwise, you do have the drive-train 10/100 warranty so....

It's not too hard changing the bulbs. Just remove the back covers to the light assy and then R&R. The driver's side is very tight though, but it's doable.

If you have probs figuring it out, I'll post some instruction pics, which we will be doing soon anyway for various DIY mods and tweaks to your car. Just email me...

Sonyfocus: Yeah! Just give us a click and you're in. We're just starting out, but we already have a few cool things going on. And yeah bud...We gotta work on that nick! ;-))

-Jim

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.org

http://www.BlueLagoonJetta.com

K_H_B: i agree with you, leasing kinda stinks, but for people like me who can't get a loan what are you supposed to do. I can't get a loan because my debt to income ratio is horrific, but yet i can get a lease no problem. In my eyes, leasing is a temporary option. If you sign a 4 year lease, pay those lease payments and then buy the sucker in 2 years when you can get a loan...
    Cooljetta - I would have loved to have bought the GLX, but here in Atlanta, that model goes for a lot more - much more than $1,000 over the GLS VR6. I even talked to a couple of dealers out-of-state and did the liquidprice.com thing and never found the price at that margin. Congratulations on your great find. I too am very happy with my new gorgeous car (GLS VR6 w/leather and comfort pkg) and wouldn't change a thing anyway. Once I adjust my seat, it usually stays that way. I don't mind reaching over and turning the heat or A/C up or down a notch either. Do wish I had that sunshade for the back window, but I can buy that as an accessory.

Anyway, we're both new Jetta owners and no doubt the envy of all our friends. They sure seem to be on everyone's wish list. Everyone I talk to says it's going to be their "next car". I hope to have it for years and years!
  • jmcmusicjmcmusic Member Posts: 27
    I just posted this in the repair forum but thought I would post here as well. :)

Hello all. I am new to this forum and have seen some siliar issues posted that i have with my 2000 Jetta GLX VR6.

The car is 16 months old and still looks incredible and drives great. I got the silver with black leather. Anyway, I have had some problems and am having trouble deciding if I should keep the car considering I already have 21K miles and continue to have lots of small annoying proplems. I am now worried I will have some more major problems when the warranty expires in a month or so.

1. I have had three incidences of a loud, hard snap in the transmission when accelerating.
    2. I have already had some computer chip (not sure what) replaced when the check engine light came on. This took two weeks when the car had only about 5K miles on it.
    3. I have this strange, annoying noise coming from the bottom of the drivers seat that makes a clicking sound almost like riding a horse. hah! They can't find the source of the noise and want to replace the entire seat frame and then redo the leather after it's replaced. Sounds like a bad idea to me.
    4. The glove box is loose and hanging down and has had to be ordered 3 times because the first time it was in they gave it to someone else (maybe this is not an uncommon problem) and the second time the new glove box was covered in scratches during shipment supposedly. That was the excuse from the service department anyway on why they could not fix it during my 20K service.

I asked if they could simply attempt to tighten the original glove box and take the seat off and try to check everything and tighten it all up to maybe solve the problem and they said "no, our policy is to replace the parts, not try and fix the originals".

5. Anyway, I also have a rattling noise coming from the rear driver side door as well as...
    6. a tire on the other side that will not remain inflated above 26 psi no matter how often I add air. The tire was even taken off and submerged in water at the Goodyear center with no leak found. Puzzling.
    7. I also had the in-dash CD player added and it shuts volume off only when a CD is playing when I turn the power off on the radio and back on again. When I turn the power back on I have to switch to the radio, turn the volume up as it is at it's lowest point and then switch back to the CD I was playing. The volume also shuts off at other times during random button pushing on the dash but only when it's a CD playing.

Needless to say, I've adapted to certain things and can live with some of these little annoyances but I am worried the car is going to fall apart as soon as the warranty is up. I am also worried that if I purchase an additional extended warranty that I will be using it constantly and always be making arrangements to have the car in the shop.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I do love the car but have also always wanted an Audi A4. Does anyone know if Audi's are just as problem prone as their their little cousins?

Thanks!
    Some of your problems seem unique, and some I've heard before. It's possible that your car came off the assembly line as one of those mishap prone ones that occassionally find their way out of the factory. Every car maker throws out a lemon once in a while, but as you'll see here, most are very happy with their relatively trouble-free Jettas. Mine has had onlt one problem, a leaking valve core on one tire - easily fixed. I'd suggest the dealer do that to solve your underinflated tire problem. They may not find a leak, bad a bad valve core could be intermittant.

If you could afford it, I'd unload it and go for the A4 - it's a step up.
  • ama2ama2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying this car. Can someone tell me about this car? I could not test drive this car as there isn't one in the dealerships. I am not sure how it feels like to drive a 90 hp car. I plan to use it for my office commute.

ama
    I test drove an automatic-equipped GL TDI several months ago, and the power was surprisingly good for only having 90 horsepower. The HP may be low, but the torque figure is pretty high, at 149 lb.-ft, and it's also delivered at a low RPM too.

Lemon Jetta?: See, those are the kinds of things that scare me when I think about purchasing a VW. I don't want one with niggling little problems like the person that posted above has with his GLX VR6. I would go crazy! But I guess it's the luck of the draw when purchasing.
  • blackwolfblackwolf Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know about dealer-installed of after-market installed fog-lamps for the GLS? Where do they put them? Do they cut the bumper to install them or are there already cut-out spaces in the bumper where the fogs could go? Or do they go inside the headlight assembly? And how much does it typically cost?

I'm picking up a new GLS Wolfsburg very soon (as in, TOMORROW!! and I'm TOTALLY PSYCHED!!!) and I'm thinking of getting fogs installed but need to know what's involved.

I know that on the GLX fogs are standard but that fogs are not even an option on the lesser models, which is why I need to look into dealer or after-market installation. Where are the fogs on the GLX? Are they placed in the bumper or are they a part of the headlight assembly? And if they are part of the headlight assembly, can that be done by a dealer on the GLS without voiding the warranty? Any help from all of you knowledgeable Jetta owners out there (as soon as possible!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    The fog lights on the Jetta GLX models are part of the headlamp assembly. The only way to get them would be to buy a headlamp assembly and replace the one in your car. Unless you put the fogs in the bumper or something like that. But replacing the whole headlamp thing could cost like $300 or so each.
  • carafanaticcarafanatic Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I live in Bay Area and looking for a 2001 Jetta GLX manual. And I am kind of new to new car market. From the responses I get from email you would think I am trying to buy a BMW for the price of an Accord! Boy am I glad that I'm not talking to them in person. I know Bay Area has high demand, etc etc and I am glad that VW has that exclusivity over here, however I still believe in paying a fair price for a car.

Edmund has TMV of 23000 + dest. Is this a reasonable price to work with? What are the UNAVOIDABLE fees that I have to take into consideration. I got $450 DMV fees + $192 Advertising fees. What 2001 new options come standard with GLX? So far the steering wheel looks like an option but sport susp. and moonsoon is not. Any advice on online purchasing apperciated. Thanks!
    If you're in debt you don't need a new car, simple as that! Leasing is smart when you CAN buy a car but want a new car every TWO years. Leasing makes sense when you only have a vehicle for said period of time.. but a 4 year lease? Not smart.. If you want a new car, pay off your debt, get a loan and do it the smart way.
    2001 Jetta GLS in black with black leather, luxury package and monsoon and automatic transmission for $315 a month, 0 down, 39 months? I brought the price from 345 to 330, to 315 by playing around between a few different dealers, and by fibbing a bit to some other ones, what do you think about this deal, do you think it's good?
    why are you looking at the montly payments? compare the cost of the car, Get a deal for 5% above dealer COST, THEN that will determine your monthly payment, I'd recomend http://www.carbuyingtips.com to help you out with that. Especially leasing. 300$ is too much for a lease, my to OWN payment on my wolfsburg will be around 420~$ a month.
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I didn't have any down payment $$. My Camry died after 8 years and 170K "rough" miles. I negotiated the price on the car before deciding how it would be purchased. It stickered for an even 22K. With tax & tags I paid 20,711...invoice was 20,200 so basically 2% over cost. I live in Greensboro, NC but went 100 miles to Raleigh for the best price. I emailed the 10 nearest dealers and went with the one that would accept my offer. I managed to finance (LEASE) with VW Credit. No money down, 48 months, 324. per month, the money factor multiplied by 2400 will equate an interest rate. Mine is approximately 7%.

I am very satisfied with the deal.

Remember this is a FORUM and you will get many opinions. Take the one's you like and leave the rest. Someone will follow the other's you left BEHIND. Speaking of BEHINDS, these opinions are just like them...EVERYONE HAS ONE!

Good Luck, Mike
  • tristram1tristram1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading the posts for a while, but I just registered today. Is anyone leasing a 2001 Jetta GLX, and if so what are the rates? I was thinking of buying, but I was wondering if a lease would be a smart choice due to the 2 year warranty and the depreciation during the first years. I would appreciate your help.
    baronsdaddy--thats a good looking deal if i do say so myself. Are you looking at buying when your lease is up? Did you consider that drivers option that VW has, where you build equity and the car is registered in your name?? I've always thought that leasing isn't that horrible of an option, especially if you have no money up front and can't get a loan...i'm jealous!
  • jeffa5jeffa5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 01 Jetta Wolfsburg edition and was curious to know if anyone had any info about the suspension? I saw that it is supposed to have firmer shocks, firmer springs and thicker stabilizer bars, but I cannot find actual specifics on all of it. I will tell you that the car really handles nice and exhibits very little body roll (which makes me really happy!). I am also amazed at how nice the BBC 2-piece wheels are. The Wolfsburg option only costs about $200 more and the wheels alone are selling on the VW site for over $500 EACH!!!
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I figured if these Internet Car services are doing the same thing, why could I? That's the most sound advice I could offer a car shopper. I didn't get the driver's option. I know about it and it is not available in North Carolina (leasing laws I suspect). I will trade up in 4 yrs to a Passat Wagon I reckon.
  • landrumdhlandrumdh Member Posts: 11
    Hey,

I'm interested in getting the 2k1 Jetta GLS, with lux package, and possibly monsoon. I want to heard the standard and monsoon stereo's before I decide.

Recently my parents purchased their Lexus on www.carsdirect.com and got a good deal, less than any dealer around here would give us. I am thinking about doing the same the price for my jetta is $18,916 and the MSRP is $19,685. It would be 285 more if I got the mosoon system.

I want an indash CD player, but not sure if I'll have another $300 on hand to have it installed by the dealer at time of purchase. Do you know if I could go back later and have it installed?

Also, in reality what do you guy/gals with Jetta GLS 2.0L, 5spd get for gas milage? I'm replacing my Mercuray Topaz for this car. I haven't yet done a test drive but I'm hopping this car drives just as well as my 86 Jetta GLS did, before it was eaten by a pickup.

Sorry for long message, and thanx for any help in advance.

David
  • chrisddochrisddo Member Posts: 5
    ooops..forgot to post with last TITLE. Just picked up my car yesterday with biege leather and dark Galactic Blue color. I wasn't making a big deal out of it but when I drove it back as was super excited...it's smooth, powerful, and handles great. Hate the small rear seat room though. I got it off CarDirect with cheap 7.8% financing at 22,000 so I consider it steal for the luxury. Anyone else have the same outfit? want to know your opinions..thanks!!

Chris
  • jonnybutcherjonnybutcher Member Posts: 3
    I just got a Silver 2001 GLS 1.8T with leather and sports luxury. i have only put on 2000km's so far, I like it a lot, coming from a 99 prelude its a big difference in many ways, but I am not happy with the brakes, the pedal feels very soft and way to much travel, do you find the same, rear seat room sucks, man they need to take some room out of the massive trunk and put it in the rear, I would trade a smaller trunk for a resonable amount of rear seat room, thats a joke, my prelude had more room...no jokes..i fin that very few cars have the sports luxo package on them, have yet to see another one around..but man there are heaps of jettas every where, oh one more thing, do you find the fan noisy on the first setting?
  • blackwolfblackwolf Member Posts: 3
    jeffa5,

I just picked up my '01 Wolfsburg -- black on black, with cold weather package, monsoon, in-dash cd and moonroof-- on Saturday. TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THIS THING!!! NEVER VOLUNTEERED TO GO RUN ERRANDS SO MUCH IN MY LIFE!
    Husband: we need a quart of milk. Me: I'll get it! I'll get it!!

Anyway, (sorry, got carried away) you are correct that the Wolfsburg comes with firmer shocks/springs. I'm not sure what kind of specifics you seek regarding the Wolfsburg suspension but the special suspension on the Wolfsburg is simply the same suspension you would get if you got a regular Jetta with the sport suspension option. From the picture in DriverGear magazine, it looks like nothing other than a bunch of big springs!

VW's web site describes the Wolfsburg suspension as follows:
    Front and rear gas shock absorbers
    Independent front McPherson struts
    stabilizer bar
    Independent track correcting torsion beam rear
    axle with integrated stabilizer bar
    Sport suspension

It is exactly the same as the regular (non-Wolf)GLS 1.8T suspension, but for the sport suspension.

I hope this helps! Happy driving!
  • jeffa5jeffa5 Member Posts: 2
    Blackwolf,

I'm glad that you like the car as much as I do. It's really amazing at the difference the sport suspension makes. I had always read in the 'magazines' about how they complain that the suspension isn't tight enough or the car has too much body roll. I don't find any of those problems with the Wolfsburg... it corners quite flat and has an acceptably firm ride.
    I was really looking for technical specifics (I have been to the vw site, but it just says 'different' springs, swaybars, etc.) like the actual size of the sway bars, the specs on the springs, etc. I want to be able to compare them to aftermarket parts available for the car.

Thanks!
  • beeblefesterbeeblefester Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to purchase a 01 Jetta GLS 1.8T with the luxury and leather package in a manual transmission. No one has them here in Canada. I called 2 dealers in 2 different cities and both said that VW has told them that they were not taking any more orders for GLS 1.8T manual transmission cars anymore. Wolfsburgs can be had but they do not offer the worlfsburg with a leather interior.

Anyways, if anyone sees one of these jettas on a lot anywhere in ontario, quebec or eastern canada, let me know.
  • yeejyeej Member Posts: 1
    Tell me exactly what you're looking for and I'll check. There's a dealership here in Ottawa that seems to be able to get cars fast!!!

email me at yeej@sprint.ca
  • jazzpantsjazzpants Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know about the Teflon coating that WV pushes after you buy the car? It is supposed to seal that paint. Any feedback would be great!
    I see that you have a Jetta with the 2.0 engine, what do you think about this engine? Is it quick enough for everyday use, and does it have enough power for passing? Also, I've read some pretty discouraging stats on the 0-60 with automatic, do you think it's really that bad, I mean I've been driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for a while, and it's pretty slow, but stats say that it's faster than the 0-60 of the Jetta 2.0. Also, not that I will ever go this fast, but do you know what the top speed is? Only asking cause a friend of mine has a BMW 330ci with a top speed of 128(governed) and wants to know if the Jetta is faster
    Thanks Alot
    I just joined your owners club, what do I do now, in case you wanna know what I have, well I'm picking up the car next week, it's a 2001 Jetta GLS with leather package, luxury package, monsoon, and automatic.