Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Well, I have only owned my 1.8T for three days, so I can't speak for long term reliability. ;^)

I can, however, tell you that it's a blast to drive with the automanual!

I think fuel efficiency is going to depend on how heavy your right foot is. If you drive her gently, the 4 cyl is gonna deliver economy, but it's soooo hard to stay off the Turbonium. :^)

I'd say go for it. I'm having a blast so far.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    This makes less and less sense to me then.

Mazda MP3 - 90 points
    Subaru RS 2.5 - 88
    VW Jetta GLS (w/Sports Luxury package) - 87
    Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - 86
    Dodge Neon R/T - 83

Was the Jetta a 1.8T? I'm guessing yes. This is impossible to comprehend. The Impreza, without the WRX option, is not a nice or fun car. It just sorta exists, like a Civic. Even with the WRX option, the Impreza is just fun, but not the least bit nice. The MP3 is a great handler, but that's it. Its speed and luxury are non-existent. I can't even fathom who would pit an American car, the Neon, against a Japanese/German car. As for the Spec-V...something must have been wrong with their pre-production model. Everything I've read thus far points to the SPEC-V demolishing every other sub-20k car for speed and handling, with the interior coming up the one weak point. This solidifies my view that Car and Driver populates its staff with nimrods.
  • acroyearacroyear Member Posts: 6
    It's hard to know what to make of the C&D article, but it's not something that would make change my mind and buy the Jetta over the Impreza RS. The Jetta wins hands down in the luxury department. And the same is true for safety: standard side airbags, optional side curtains, and it is the only one of the bunch that received a "Good" rating in the IIHS offset crash test. Maybe if C&D gave points for safety, the Jetta would have done better!
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    when i check online, i don't see the article...
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Page 72. They do like its performance and say lots of good things about it. Just didn't like its overly supple suspension set up, torque steer, and rubbery shifting.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "BMW seems to be the only manufacturer that builds its suspension faster than its engine" Uh...The Mazda's suspension in that test is MUCH more capable than it's engine. Road & Track got better slalom speeds in the MP3 than it did with a Z06 vette and a Ferrari 360 spider! Admittedly, the MP3 is way short on power though. Blueguydotcom---The SE-R STILL has the same pathetic beam rear axle as the regular Sentra. If the C&D guys picked the Jetta or Sentra, they wouldn't be nimrods then right? Just read the article, it won't be on the net until next month, otherwise nobody would buy the newsstand edition.
  • nwvwnwvw Member Posts: 88
    We'll just bypass all that junk and move on here. ;-)

Anywho...The 1.8T is a very reliable engine and one of the best rated engines in existence today. It has an excellent power band and is a little screamer. If you're into 'tuning', then the 1.8T is definitely your choice. Even if you're not, the 1.8T is still very desireable.

The advantage of the 1.8T over the VR6 is weight and handling. The VR6 is very front end heavy and it does take a bit more to get all that weight moving forward. However, there's no turbo lag to deal with.

It's definitely a learning curve driving a turbo, and the new 2002 engine's lag is more pronounced because of the extra power offered by new electronics (chip), a few updated parts in the turbo and better exhaust. We're still awaiting full details and dyno's on the 2002 engine.

The major advantage to the 1.8T is that it is available now and the VR6 is not going to be available until at least Feb and maybe further out than that. As far as I know, there still isn't an exact date on the new VR6 release.

The advantage of the VR6 is smoother application of the power. Some like the turbo kick, some don't, but the new VR6, which is reported to be rated at 201hp, will definitely be a nice addition to the Jetta line

Yes, you MUST use premium fuel in the 1.8T, but it's the preferred fuel in all the gas motors. Yes, even the 2.0. But, that's a minor issue. If fuel costs are an issue, get a TDI. ;-)

As for mileage...well you'll hear all kinds of stories on that one. I've heard 35-plus mpg, but I really find that hard to believe. Unless all the miles were downhill at 25mph. But, so far, the average of 22/29 on the sticker seems to be accurate.

On a trip to California (from Vancouver, Washington) that I took at the beginning of September, I got between 27-30mpg. And that was fairly spirited driving at 70-110mph with the avg cruising speed -- not through towns -- being 85-90mph, so I think that's pretty good for driving it pretty hard.

But, it really wasn't that 'hard'. This baby just cruised smooth as silk at those speeds with not a complaint, groan or a quiver.

Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased with my 2002 1.8T Tiptronic...

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    which I think is more than a bit dear for a Jetta.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Thanks for the observations. I'm interested in how you like the tiptronic. From my test drive a while back the transmission seem to shift very smoothly and was responsive. But you really don't know how you're going to like it unless you drive the car day in and day out. Is it as good as Edmunds reported it to be in its first drive test? How bad is the turbo lag? Any comments you have on the tiptronic would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I'm getting tired of shifting for myself. Thanks in advance.
    First off: The tiptronic is not a replacement for a standard shift car and is not like an F1 car at all, if that's what anyone is thinking. Around town I mostly use it in auto mode. My wife has never used it in Tip mode. Where the tiptronic shines is with spirited driving out on the twisties where you can downshift and keep up the revs as you enter, apex, and then exit a corner. Sweet.

It's pretty responsive, but is not an F1 shifter. There is some shift-lag, for lack of better terms, but that was expected and is not a downside for most drivers, just something to get used to. If you're a sports car freak/afficionado you will most likely not like the tiptronic.

The main dislike I have about it is that first gear is extremely short. Taking off from a stop, I shift from 1st to 2nd almost immediately when in tip mode. Third gear is the tiptronic's sweet gear and that's where the torque really shows.

This tranny is much different than the pre-2002 auto trannys. In auto mode it gives you much more rpm's in each gear and does not short-shift like the previous, adaptive tranny that was really annoying. This one's quite racey!

Having not owned a turbo before, it's kinda hard for me to judge the lag from a 2001 model, which I test drove one time (a WE back in February). All I know is when I first drove this car and even just got on the gas a little, I said, "Whoah!" as the differences were immediate. I have also read the same type comments from people that have test drove both the 150hp and 180hp models.

Just like with anything else, you adapt to the turbo lag. Going to this car from our 2.0 was a huge learning curve. The biggest learning curve I have EVER taken with any car I have owned. This car wants to scream away from you as compared to my 2.0. It begs for more gas and you find yourself holding back, to keep from passing everyone on the road!! The car is quite 'spirited' right out of the box and I can't imagine chipping this sucker up to a possible 220-230 hp with some additional add-ons, though the jury is still out on that as there are no chips available yet.

Best way for me to describe the 2002 1.8T Tiptronic is: We just thought the 2.0 was a fun car. We had no idea what fun was until we got this baby. Whew! Takes your breath away and it's probably a good thing it's not my daily-driver or I'd probably have a special relationship with my local law enforement. ;-))

-Jim
  • elsid4elsid4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a question that will settle a looming bet. Please reply if you have the answer.

If the rear defroster is turned on and you shut off the car, remove the key, when you turn the car back on, did the rear defroster stay on?

Please help.
  • shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
    with Tip as well and think it gives you the opportunity to have fun when you want and drive in traffic and drink coffee when you want that too.
    Picked up my 2002 Jetta GLS Turbo last night. Silver/grey leather, Tiptronic, and luxury package. Mine has the CD/cassette, non Monsoon, that now comes standard. No sport suspension, no big wheels, just the 15" alloys. Nice looking car! Love the radio controls on the steering wheel! Yes, the turbo is quite...punchy. I LOVE the jet engine sound that is makes when the turbo spools up. I am trying to be careful...I have not read my manual yet, but I am sure this car has a "break in" period that I need to adhere to....so no hard driving just yet. I will be in this forum for good now, so just so everyone knows, yes, my name is Justin (duh), and I am in the NOVA/DC area.

Wish me and my new Jetta luck!!
  • digiturbodigiturbo Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    Justin: How much did you get for your Jetta?
    I am looking for the GLS1.8T w/ leather? Still thinking back and forth between 1.8T or GLX.

Thanks
  • guttata1guttata1 Member Posts: 6
    OK, I just order my VW:

2002 Jetta GLS 1.8t, manual
    monsoon
    sport suspension
    17" wheels
    cold weather package
    silver

The dealer & I agreed on $19769 - sound like a fair deal? I financed through my local credit union, 60 months @ 5.99%.

Does anyone know about how long it takes to get it in, after ordering from the factory?

I'm excited, this is replacing my 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88.... I'm guessing it'll be a little more fun to drive :)
    enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
    did you get leather and sunroof? that seems like an excellent price!
    Nope, no leather or sunroof - that made it too salty for me :)
    have had a Jetta TDI for the last week as a loaner. A solid car, can't believe it is only 90 hp, cruises at 140kms at ease and has noticable pop around 100 kms and 3000+ rpms.
    I am glad you did not get leather or sunroof. that scared me. if you would have gotten all that for that price, i would have felt like i got scre*** by the dealer.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Can you get 17" wheels and sports suspension w/o sunroof? I though they are grouped togetehr as the sports lux package...
    Looking through all the options on Edmunds, Intellichoice, etc.., it would appear you can only get the 17" wheels with the sport lux package. However, the dealer I talked to offered the sport suspension for invoice ($177, I believe), and for the sport suspension with 17s, he quoted me $477. That was exactly what I wanted, so I said "great!"

My guess is the dealership may put on the 17s once they get the car - that is fine with me. I mean, there is nothing different about a car with sport lux and without that would prevent 17s being put on the car.

I guess the true test will be whenever I get my Jetta - I had to factory order, so who knows how long that will take. (That wasn't a rhetorical question - does anybody know how long that will take?)

Now, what to do with an '84 olds that needs a new intake manifold, water pump, and exhaust...
  • yo_lingyo_ling Member Posts: 3
    Hours ago, test drived a Silver 1.8T, Jetta, mag wheels, and sunroof, it was amazing, the speed, the response, second to none in the category.

With Mags (15") wheels, Sun roof, and CD player, for a Jetta 1.8T, anyone could share the price information (before tax, include the preparation)in central Canada area, Quebec or Ontario ?

Thanks and Have fun !
    Get a color other than Silver. 99% of the Jettas I see are silver.

I haven't seen another red Jetta since I bought mine. :^)
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Sounds like you did really well if that is an
    *All Inclusive* price...No Destination added on
    or any thing else except Tax, Title, & Lic.
    Due to the fact that they have ordered this Jetta
    for you(You did get a Commission/Request Number?),
    it will depend on where this Jetta is in the
    queue...outside 45-60 days...I would wait and see
    what rates are available when you actually can
    see & touch this car.

And yes, the 17" Wheels & Sports Suspension Pkg.
    PJ2, is only available on the GLX. But the Sports
    Suspension Pkg.(PSF)is available with either the
    1.8 or the VR6...What these folks plan to do about the 17s will be interesting to see. A set
    of 17" Wheels & Tires for $300 is going to be a
    real trick...
    Here is the price breakdown:

(I mistyped on the 17s - an additional $400, making the total for the sport suspension & wheels $600, which was MSRP for those options according to him)

base price: $18,152
    Options: $1067
    + Cold Weather package
    + Sport Suspension & 17s
    + Monsoon
    Destination Charge: $550

Total:
    $19769

As far as the Request Number, I need to call him about that, and have him fax it to me - I am sending him my deposit (of $300) tomorrow.

I agree on the rates - silly me, I thought I'd be walking home with my Jetta, so I already have my loan check. It's good for 90 days though.

I'm curious (nervous?) about the 17s as well.

It's too bad that 45-60 days places it in the middle of winter!

P.S. Anakin: it's because silver looks so sweet...
    around here, silver is hard to come by, and up until just recently, you paid a premium to get a non-base silver Jet. Just a funny story here:

On Monday I test drove a silver Jetta Turbo that was perfect for me at one local dealer (dealer #1). They would not budge on my trade. So, that night I went to another dealer (#2). They only had one Jetta equipped the way I wanted. It was Baltic Green. I drove it - did not love it. But, they would give me what I want on my trade. Jokingly I told the sales guy, if you can get the silver Jetta from dealer #1 for me, I will do the deal. He said it would be hard to take a silver Jet from anyone around here.

Anyway, I wanted it real bad, so the next morning I called dealer #1 that had the silver one and said, if you can do $500 more on my trade, I will come in now and buy it. He said he could not, and that the car had a pending deal anyway. I was bummed. While I was on the phone with him, salesguy from VW #2 calls - he got the Jetta. Salesguy #1 was right - there was a deal pending. It was mine. HAHAHA. I love it :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    That is funny. Almost every Jetta, Golf, and Passat that was in inventory when I bought my car earlier this year was either silver or black. I wanted blue and had to go to a different state to get it.
    why that is. All the blue cars are here in the NOVA/DC area. they had one black one that was sold before i even got to the dealer. plenty of bright blue, dark blue, and green/blue.
  • acroyearacroyear Member Posts: 6
    The Jetta is one of the cars I'm considering buying in the next few weeks, but one of my main areas of concern is the reports of poor reliability from some of the posters here. I'm wondering, are there any online resources that could provide objective information on the reliability of the 99+ Jettas?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    but my 01 Jetta GLS 1.8T 5-speed has been great. The last problem I had with it was at 6500 miles and it now has almost 18,000 on it. I don't baby my car at all, I drive it down gravel roads, probably drive too fast most of the time, and I live in Alaska with horrible cold winters. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Jetta to one of my friends. I do keep up with the schedualed maintance and make sure I put premium unleaded in it, but other than that I drive it, I mean, that's what I bought it for.
    ....that Jettas are hit or miss reliability wise. Some people have problems from day one, some people never have any at all. It does seem that everyone mentions that maintenance is most important on VW's. Not like my old Tercel that I never even changed the oil on when I was a teenager. VW's apparently need to be maintained, but most VW drivers probably have no problem with that. For under $30k, the Jetta is really a jewel. You want to take care of it....:)
  • lise526lise526 Member Posts: 12
    Congrats on the new Jetta, I've had mine a month today. I can relate to the silver issue, it took me a month to find a dealer in the nj area who actually had one because no one was willing to trade. the challenge of it made me want it more too. the cd is standard now, that sucks I bought the 6 disk changer 2 weeks ago because when i was buying the car they said the cd wouldn't be standard until feb. Its a 1.8 right? Would you mind sharing the price with us, I know its a little late for that now but I'm curious as to whether or not I paid too much? Thanks!!!

nwvw---thanks for the info about the oil changes. Just for the record I have read the owners manual (before the message was posted) and my questions were about whether any of the service is included because my dealer said it was and then when I looked in the manual it seems to say otherwise. Thanks again!
    Service for a 2001 vehicle is included for 2/24, which only consists (only) of a few oil changes and rotating tires. There is no included service for a 2002 vehicle.

-Jim
  • lise526lise526 Member Posts: 12
    Funny, thats not what my dealer told me. We specifically asked if service was included and he said it was I forget for how long. The reason we even asked was because another dealership told me that no service was included, but my salesman actually brought up the fact that it was, and we asked just to clarify. time to call the dealer...
  • mike767mike767 Member Posts: 20
    I just saw on VW.com an offer for 0.9 financing.

Does anybody know how many months is the max

term for that offer.
    It would appear that 0.9% is available for 12-24 months.

You can look up all the incentives in your area by going here:

http://jbox04.edmunds.com/incentives/step1.jsp

Just put your zip code in the box.

If your dealer is offering oil changes/service, he's doing it on his own and not via VW. There is no service included with any 2002 Volkswagen vehicles from Volkswagen.

-Jim
  • obmotobmot Member Posts: 61
    Hi again everyone -

well this is turning out to be a very bad month for my poor WE. I got the rear door fixed after the hit/run. Looks good.

But tonight i hit one of Houston's finest potholes (read: tank trap). It totally jarred the entire car (even the horn honked briefly). Anyway, immediately after hitting it, now BOTH of my front doors rattle significantly on even modestly uneven pavement/bumps. This rattling stops if I put the windows all the way down, and is worst with the windows all the way up.

The best thing about this car is (was) that it had NO rattles on any pavement. Now that is gone :( and I am kicking myself for not seeing that nasty pavement. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments? Do you think, at my first service, if I mention it to the shop anything can be done? Did something shake/break free in both doors that can be fixed?

I am SO hating life right now...why are these things happening to me!?

- tommy
  • jettajeffjettajeff Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my 2002 1.8T (manual) with lux, monsoon, and cold weather yesterday. I picked her up with 75 miles on her and put about 250 more on yesterday. My previous was an 85 Cabriolet. It took some thoughtful adjustments to my driving to accomodate the hydraulic clutch, new gear ratios, turbo lag, etc. But now I can drive the thing like a bat out of hell.

My question is, how "conservative" should I be driving for my 600-1000 break-in? I usually drive pretty gentle, but when you're driving a friend around in your hot new car you don't want to accelerate like your grandmother. :-) Seems to me the engine is designed to perform, so some upshifts at 5k-6k RPM aren't gonna kill the thing. Am I deluding myself?

btw - thanks for all the info on the Sports Suspension
    I sure hope you were VERY gentle the first 500 miles. Secondly' RTM about the break-in period as it's pretty specific. From 600-100 miles you can gradually increase your speeds and RPM's.

But, I do know how difficult it is to keep the little 1.8T down. Man! She's a screamer begging for throttle!!!

I kept my upshifts to 4K, except for a few slips, until I passed 1,000 miles. One thing though is that the engine is a tough little bugger and a few errant 6K shifts ain't gonna kill the life of it.

Once you get past 1K miles: Drive it like ya stole it!!! :-)))

-Jim
    Man, it's hard to be good and hold off on the high RPM shifts. I have a little over 600 mi on my 1.8T and I'm just itching to get out there and drive it hard.

Only 400 miles to go.... :^D
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    was the First Item removed from the new Warranty
    Package...with the 700% increase in unit sales
    in the past 7 Years, these scheduled services
    have caused ever increasing problems for Service
    Depts. Coast to Coast from Appointment lead time
    to handling customers with real problems.
    a 2002 Black/Black 1.8T. Tip/Lux

Seems like a solid ride and am very happy with it. The break in period is clearly outlined in the manual and is easier to follow with the Tip. I do know what a killer it is waiting to get past this point as my 2001 325i is manual. If the Jetta is like my 325i, then just wait til the period is over, you think it's fast now.
    ARRGH!

If any of you have pets, let me warn you.

DO NOT GET THE BLACK VELOUR SEATS!

They act just like a lint brush, and every stray hair on your clothes will transfer onto the seats. I just spent a half hour with a sticky roller trying to get all the dog hair off my seats.

And my dogs aren't even allowed in the Jetta!

Fortunately, that's my only complaint. :^)
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    anyone noticed edmunds gets some of the slowest 0-60 times when they test cars? and motor trend gets the fastest. Car and Driver tested the 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T at 7.2 seconds for the 0-60, while Edmunds got 8.3. I bet Motor Trend will get 6.9 seconds. This is all based on the manual tranny.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i'm kinda bored, just finished wrting a college essay, but if anyone here gets a chance to drive a Saab 9000 Aero, drive it, but only if its stick. I've driven my best friends 1993 9000 AERO, and it is damn fast, but its got a whole lot of torque steer, but I suppose 252 lb/ft of torque in a quirky Sweed don't work to well with each other, but it's a good looking car and G-force fast.
    Hey, thanks for the tip. I think I have one of those in the closet. :^)
  • elsid4elsid4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a question that will settle a looming bet. Please reply if you have the answer.

If the rear defroster is turned on and you shut off the car, remove the key, when you turn the car back on, did the rear defroster stay on?

Please help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------