Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• Options
    newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    har1bush wrote >>What concerns me the most is that XG wouldn't have enough punch to pass people on the freeway (which can be dangerous) because of the meager 178lb-ft of torque and its hefty body (3600+ lbs).<<

I commute 36 miles per day roundtrip on a hilly stretch of Atlanta freeway with speeds ranging between 0 and 80 mph and let me assure you that the XG has absolutely no freeway acceleration issues that could be considered in any way dangerous. Additionally, I say that from the perspective of being one of the more aggressive drivers on that stretch of freeway.

"Meager" and "Dangerous", are the words most likely to be used by competing salesmen interested in spreading FUD. Careful about using words like those, them's fighting words :)
  • Options
    mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    The wind noise has not recurred, I think what fixed it was that I treated the weather-stripping around the doors and windows with Armor-All to protect them from UV light and to keep them from drying out. It seems to have made the window seal better, and the wind noise from that window is now unremarkable.

The "drifting" turned out to be a combination of unequal air pressure in the front tires and an optical illusion. The stylized "H" on the steering wheel gave the illusion of the wheel not being centered. Everything is fine now, and my local dealer's service dept. was very helpful and professional.

Honestly, the only thing about the car that I don't like is the cruise control switch on the left dashboard. I don't so much mind having to switch it on using the dash switch, but the light that indicates that the cruise is activated is too bright, and is not controlled by the dash lights rheostat. Other than that minor quibble, the rest of the car is just great.

I agree with other owners that the power and acceleration is more than adequate. Motor Trend, in their comparison article, commented that although the skid pad test numbers were not as impressive as with the Accord and the Stratus, in "real-world" driving the XG gave no impression of being under-powered or otherwise inferior to the other vehicles.
  • Options
    mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    DVDphile1: I forgot to address the road noise issue. Setting the tire pressure to 30 PSI resolved that issue immediately. I suppose some additional sound-deadening as you suggest would not hurt, but the noise level in the car as it now stands is quite acceptable to me.
  • Options
    dvdphile1dvdphile1 Member Posts: 16
    I'm happy to hear you have no real major issues to deal with and your concerns were resolved. As i mentioned before i'm waiting on my new XGL and am looking for any problem areas. What i have found reading thru literally hundreds of various responses in forums,tests,reviews etc.etc.is that the XG is a very nice car for what is intended and futher that as in ALL makes there occasionally are some problems with some vehicles. I cannot find any one predominant problem of any real significance as a whole. Hopefully down the line this will hold. The worst problem i have seen reported on a couple of occasions was the warped rotor issue. Usually over torque, riding brakes and lots of "jamming" causes the warping. Anyway happy to hear no (what i consider) real problems. I'll post after i finally get my car and report accordingly.
  • Options
    elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    I say, if you have a E320, you obviously can opt for something more expensive and luxerious :) Hyundai is a company for people like me...People who are really into cars, yet can't afford them because they are trying to save up to go to college and buy a house, but want something new, not anyone elses garbage. Sure, they are great cars, but if I had money, Id be pimpin an M3 right about now :) But coming from a car as high in quality as an E320 to a Hyundai, Im afraid that you won't enjoy the car as much as other people because you, although not intentionally, pick up on things such as cheaper plastic, a rattle here and there, noisirt engine, etc. that your Mercedes doesnt have and therefore enjoy it less They are great cars, but you go from Hyundai to Mercedes, not Mercedes to Hyundai ;)
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    well, in response to elantra00, the XG is a great car and I'm only looking at it as a second car... plus I don't think its all that cheap anyways (25000+ MSRP)

Anyhow, I've been browsing through online and I saw that the 2002 Maxima will get a 260hp 3.5L V6 and the 2002 Camry will get a facelift and a 220hp V6. I read on edmunds that hyundai plans on dropping a 3.5L engine into the XG as well, but anyone hear when that will happen? 260 horses in the Maxima sure sounds like worth the couple months of waiting~
  • Options
    Yes, I would definitely wait for the 2002 Maxima. I didn't even think of that! Get that in the 5spd too, that thing will tear up the road. Interesting enough, the Altima is getting the old Maxima engine. Finally putting a decent engine in that thing :) Forget the Camry...Do I hear BORING? That car is the typical 4 dr family sedan. If I were you, I do go for the Maxima, Accord or XG300. Either one you cant go wrong in the 25k-30k price range, although the maxima may be pushing it
  • Options
    The new Maxima will not only get 260 horses, but it'll be available with a 6-speed manual! As far as the new Camry, I dunno what it will look like but I heard it'll be an all new design that looks a lot more distinctive and sleek... Now if only the XG could match those 260 horses under the hood, Hyundai would have no problem selling those babies!

Another note: the new Altima is not getting the old Maxima's engine... it'll get the same 3.5L V6, but with "only" 240hp and it'll be about 6 in. longer than the current model, which makes it almost as big as the XG
  • Options
    bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    it just puts out 210~220 horses.
  • Options
    elantra00 and Har1bush

Now guys let's see if I got this straight... There is this really great new car called the XG300 which despite being meager, underpowered, dangerous, and hefty, is a really not too cheap a vehicle providing we've never driven a car at twice the price because we'll be disapointed at the XG300's inevitable rattles and squeaks because we all know Korean cars can never ever ever be as good as German cars. And of course no one would consider buying the XG300 unless they were poor students or needed a second car in which case they should probably postpone buying an XG300 so they can get next year's Maxima or the jet engine powered Altima guaranted to kick some serious XG butt.

Did I get this right? :)

Joe
    (XG300 base 9500 miles, no squeaks or rattles)
  • Options
    jeffkauf00jeffkauf00 Member Posts: 1
    I have test driven one and really loved it. Very suprized. Never driven a Korean car before let alone considered buying one. Lots of room, front and back...anyway...how reliable are they? I have to convince myself as well as my spouse. Any sector problems..electrical, power train, A/C, suspension..anything? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    I am very, very impressed by the XG300. It seems to be a fine car. I know people want to down Hyundai and makers like them but you have to admit they do have outstanding warranties and, at least for Hyundai, cars that look extremely attractive and not so derivative, like Camrys and Accords. I mean, I'd have mistaken the XG300 for a Jaguar or an Infiniti if I didn't know anything about cars.

The materials used and attention to providing you with class leading amenities is fantastic. I don't see how anyone could purchase a Camry or Accord over an XG300. Once Hyundai gets the fit and finish a little bit higher you'll have a world-class family hauler in no time!

The Sonata, for a while, looked great but the XG300 is a knockout, with or without BMW-like suspension (big %*!#ing whoop). For the very first time in my life, I'm a bit envious of another car owner . . .
  • Options
    Well I've got my new XGL yesterday and will give my impression after 100+ miles. First the mfg.date of mine is 4/27/01.The car has the 16" wheel option ($300). They use the Michelin 205/60 series tire on a 10 spoke alloy which to me is very nice. I have found two problems which are no big deal to me. 1.The AM section of the radio is weak. 2.The pass. side headlight has some scratches inside the lens which is only visable at a particular angle and light condition. The dealer has ordered both parts for replacement. As for my impression of the car: First i should mention my last three new cars have been a 2000 GXE Maxima-1999 Mitsu Galant V-6 & 1997 Chev. Malibu.I don't want to rate these cars as they have there own target market etc. what i will say tho is the Malibu was nothing but problems except drivetrain.Horrible fit and finish plus engineering problems. Hopefully the new ones are ok for the new buyers.The Max.was the best quality wise. The Mitsu was also very good: Anyway on to my impressions of the new XG300L after 100 miles:Fit an finish are about as good as it gets in and out.Seams line up everything looks good including the white pearl paint.The only item i could fault is the "loose" cheap feeling power seat controls.Absolutely no squeeks,rattles or annoyances.The brakes work and modulate well and do not feel spongy. Steering is a bit slow and rather numb without much on center feel.No drift.Much like the big old American cruisers.The ride is very nice with only sharp bumps coming thru at lower speed. Tires were at 40lbs pressure when the car was picked up but were adjusted to 33lbs.The A/C works very well. So far so good.If all holds up this vehicle is well worth the $ and is very competitve with the other $25-35k cars out there.The warranty gives some peace of mind but if you don't plan on keeping this car for awhile and want to trade you'll probably take a big hit for a couple more years.I really believe this car is a real bargain and sure looks great! I'll post again after another month or so.I hope this helps an earlier post who was trying to decide on a buy. The perfect car is not out there. You can always find some problem with any new car. But, I do think the XG300 is a good car and the warranty is there to back it up.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention in my prior post that i questioned power of the XG. This car is not a Porshe but the power is more than adequate.I don't want to push it with these few miles but i can say there is no power problem here. The transmission also readily downshifts and provides smooth shifts. This car is very quiet although coarse surfaces will be heard as in other cars. drove a 2001 Chev. Impala over the same coarse road surface for comparison and the XG is much quieter.
  • Options
    southhadleysouthhadley Member Posts: 1
    I bought an XG300, but after sleeping on it, decided to go for the XG300L. Unfortunately, the dealer can't find one in the region, and I need to wait for the next allocation. Glad to hear that the 16" wheels are now coming through, but I'd opt for the 15", if I could get my XG300L. Is this a problem in other areas as well?
  • Options
    92969296 Member Posts: 13
    New XG. Right from the start I noticed a pulsing in the brakes and even posted a message to that affect on this BBS. After 350 miles decided that the radio had excessive static. Brought it in to Dealer and had him check both the brakes and radio. Result: Radio is defective and has to be replaced and front rotors also have to be replaced. Dealer was extremely cooperative. However, hope this is not the start of a bad experience. In all other respects, car is an absolute delight!
  • Options
    No!
    You did not get that right.

And I take that is an insult! I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth like that. I own a 2000 Hyundai Elantra that has been flawless and am considering purchasing a Hyundai Santa Fe next year. So obviously, I think Hyundai is a great car company. Hyundai targets the cost concious customer such as myself. However, as the trend is going, prices are rising as they build back a good image.

WHAT I SAID WAS.....If I had 10 grand more, I probably would have bought an Accord V6 or a Maxima? Why, power, fit and finish is a little better. (Face it....Hyundai likes plastic), and the after market parts are out there for the car moreso then Hyundai. The engine in the accord and maxima are more tuneable and have MORE POWER. The reason I mentioned that to harbush was that if he owned an E320, then he obviously had the money to spend. If money is not really a question, then I told him to go for the Maxima or Accord because that is what I LIKE PERSONALLY. I am not dissing Hyundai in anyway in that I will soon own 2 Hyundais. Its harbush choice...If he is looking in the 25k range....if he wants a sporty sedan, accord or maxima is the answer...if he wants a more buick luxery ride, then the XG300 is the answer. But going from a Mercedes to an Hyundai is a big jump, I use to Valet park cars so I have been in plenty of Mercedes and notice the quality differences
  • Options
    No!
    You did not get that right.

And I take that is an insult! I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth like that. I own a 2000 Hyundai Elantra that has been flawless and am considering purchasing a Hyundai Santa Fe next year. So obviously, I think Hyundai is a great car company. Hyundai targets the cost concious customer such as myself. However, as the trend is going, prices are rising as they build back a good image.

WHAT I SAID WAS.....If I had 10 grand more, I probably would have bought an Accord V6 or a Maxima? Why, power, fit and finish is a little better. (Face it....Hyundai likes plastic), and the after market parts are out there for the car moreso then Hyundai. The engine in the accord and maxima are more tuneable and have MORE POWER. The reason I mentioned that to harbush was that if he owned an E320, then he obviously had the money to spend. If money is not really a question, then I told him to go for the Maxima or Accord because that is what I LIKE PERSONALLY. I am not dissing Hyundai in anyway in that I will soon own 2 Hyundais. Its harbush choice...If he is looking in the 25k range....if he wants a sporty sedan, accord or maxima is the answer...if he wants a more buick luxery ride, then the XG300 is the answer. But going from a Mercedes to an Hyundai is a big jump, I use to Valet park cars so I have been in plenty of Mercedes and notice the quality differences. Then again, remember price differences as well
  • Options
    Well you didn't really have to post your message twice now did u? Plus you make me sound like some rich snob here... I know that XG's a good car b/c in Korea, if someone has an XG (Grandeur) they are considered to be in the upper eschelon of the socioeconomic ladder. I was merely concerned by the low torque numbers of the XG, which is more or less resolved b/c of a number of satisfied people in here. Other than that, the XG doesn't seem too bad quality-wise -- very comparable to that of camcords and maximas. Now that that's settled, let's play nice ladies~

BTW... the name's harry bush... not harbush :)
  • Options
    olsparkeeolsparkee Member Posts: 3
    When you selected the XG, did you compare it to the Maxima? What are your expectations for longevity? It seems like a lot of folks here go through a car every couple of years so long-term quality isn't important.

Seems like a very small price difference, but a large value difference. To me, Nissan has a rock solid reputation for long term quality and Hyundai is not there yet.

I drove an XG and wasn't pleased with the dynamic elements. Can't beat the features though. The looks are more Grand Marquis than luxury to me but a plus. The concerns I have are strictly a factor of what this one person looks for in a car.
  • Options
    Sorry, I thought I deleted that message cause I knew it was posted twice accidentally....My fault. No Harry Bush, (if thats what you like being called), I had no intention of implying you as a rich snob whatsoever. I am looking at your situation like this. If I owned an E320, I would buy something like a 528i or something else in that class. Just when you mentioned that, and then mentioned the maxima and accord, I would personally prefer those cars over the XG300. Now, if you are looking for a car that performs like a buick, then the XG300 would be a better choice. But its not sporty at all, (no offense to XG owners). That competes with the Buick Century or better yet, the LeSabre. I happen to like the car, but I will be looking at that maybe in 40 years from now. I see the XG as Lincoln Town car luxury at an affordable price. But thats what you are looking for, then I would buy it. I just got angry before when newxg put words in my mouth which I dont not intend or mean
  • Options
    dst5dst5 Member Posts: 39
    My Nissan Altima was a rattle trap reliable yes but it had no body integrity at all. Creeks rattles
    and groans sounds like an old rock band :)
  • Options
    Well, in all fairness, Elan, you did kinda imply (probably not intentionally) that to have a Mercedes and then be considering a car like the XG300 was tantamount to social suicide. That's my take on it. But I have to say that it is not entirely your fault. American society places way too much emphasis on status and consequently feel the car you drive determines the type of person you are. Of course no one would never admit to that but at this point it is all subconcious, which is sad (fight the mental chains, y'all).

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with somebody wanting a Hyundai XG300 as opposed to a 528i. Nothing at all. I know people who have more than enough money to get a new Mercedes or Jag but don't mind driving an Accord because they love their Accord. As a matter of fact, one of my father's friend's actually drives a 1978 Datsun 280Z but he can afford a brand new 911 Carrera4 Turbo, but you know what, he wants his old Z. And that's okay. The only good reason I can actually see for buying certain cars at any price is new safety features. That's the ONLY reason. You can get a 6-disc changer and power seats in just about any car. And we all know that you can add things to the XG300 that will make it feel and act like a 600SL, for a fraction of the cost.

So, all you Hyundai owners don't feel bad, which I'm sure you don't because you saved money over the Accord and Maxima junkies. There's nothing wrong with getting more for your money and getting options you see in more expensive cars at bargain prices. It just means you're a smart consumer and not a pushover for establishment snobbery.
  • Options
    You are right bscblue. Again, the only reason why I mentioned the Maxima or accord was that it was within the same price range, maybe a little bit more and what I would prefer. I just assumed if money was not a question to get that instead of an XG. But it is true that American society does put pressure on what car you drive....what you are seen and in and what other strangers think of you. When I see someone driving a Hyundai, I see them as a smart person making a smart move to buying a great car at a great price w/ sleek body styling and powerful engine. When I see someone driving a Bentley or Rolls Royce, I see someone literally throwing money out the window. They just bought that car for the brand and economic status...yet realized to see some of the cheapness it actually has! Did you know the the new Bentley Corniche convertible has a plastic window in the fold down convertible top? Thats right! Spending $376,000 and they can't even put in a rear window w/ defroster for rain/snow...(not like you would take it out in that weather, but at least glass) Spending that much still won't get you top of the line, yet the new VW Cabrio has a glass window. Now, the XG300 is a great car, don't get me wrong. I was just saying it is more Buick Century type of luxery, not like an accord. To me personally, I rather have an accord. Now, all Hyundai has to do is create a car to compete with the accord and maxima. Perhaps the same engine w/ 5 spd gear box and different body styling. Harbush, if the XG is the type of luxury you are going for, more of cadilliac or Buick, then ONCE AGAIN, opt for the XG. IF you want a sporty 4dr sedan, accord or Maxima. I hope everything is clarified!
  • Options
    the present Altima might ride like a giant jello but the new '02 models may not be so willing to "get jiggy wit it" on the rough stuff (Nissan claims a 170% (if i'm not mistaken) improvement of structural rigidity).... Anyhow, seeing that this is a post for the big Hyundai, enough about other cars... as i've said, the XG is a great car and elantra00 is right in saying that the difference between the XG and the accord, maxima, and camry is simply preference. At this price range, in today's world, it doesnt seem like u could go wrong with any car (well, i'm not too sure if it holds true for the ones from Detroit -- ooh i better get ready for some heat for making that comment -- but in fact, if Clinton really imposed that 100% tariff on the Japanese autos a few years ago and it came down to the American cars vs. the XG, the XG would win hands down, bar none!). Sure there were a few doubting points about the XG that was lingering in my mind (quality, long term reliability, engine power, etc.) but a few XG die hard fans have put away some of those evil thoughts.... Regardless, I shall wait for the newly revived '02 competition from Nissan and Toyota and see what's in store...
  • Options
    liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    isn't the new xg gonna be called the xg350 because of the 3.5l engine and i heard its supposed to put out more than 200hp. i think the xg will have the performance part of the car too next year.
  • Options
    Apparently, that's what the edmunds new car overview says, but I have not seen any other sources stating that change. I do find it odd that they would change the engine of the XG after its first year if they did make the switch (although it'd be a pleasant oddity). Plus, the korean version of the XG (Grandeur) does not have the 3.5L engine as an option as of now (it seems like the home market usually gets the product before the U.S. market partly because they need to make the necessary changes in emissions requirement and such to bring their cars to the US and it's a good test to see how their cars hold up at home before they distribute the new models all over the world).
  • Options
    Elan, that's right. You buy a Bentley or a Rolls for the name. The upkeep on cars like those is so high it would be more cost effective to go ahead and buy a couple of XG300s, Accords, Camrys, Maximas, or whatevers just to use and dispose of. But you can't usually tell people with money to burn anything about anything, I've found. They think they know it all . . .
  • Options
    Well first to whomever I've offended... I have to tell you that I disagreed with so many of the underlying assumptions in earlier posts that I felt like sarcasm was the only way to respond. If you want I can go point by point but that would seem like a waste of bandwidth for people who are coming into this forum to gather specific information about the XG to help inform them about their buying decisions.

I "could" have bought a 5 series beamer but that was not my choice for all kinds of reasons. I could also have bought a Maxima but chose not to despite the fact that my Dad has owned 4 of them over the years. But do you really think that the 02 Altima is going to bulk up to the size of a Maxima and compete in size with the XG?

As far as future reliability, know one can guess whether the XG will hold up to Toyota standards. But my bet is that it will do well based on what I've read about the 1999 Sonatas which are made in the the same new 4 billion dollar plant. Read the Sonata forums. You don't hear a lot of people complaining about squeaks and rattles in their 1999 Sonatas. I'm also betting that Hyundai has also finally internalized the Deming Total Quality approaches (continuous improvement measured by statistical control charts) that the Japanese have been so successful with. And I'm also strongly suspecting that their robots are just as new as robots at the Mercedes plants. Only time will tell if I made the right decision from a quality standpoint but I've got 100,000 miles before I have to worry about it dinging my pocketbook and I'm pretty happy with the XG after almost 10,000 miles, floaty suspension settings and all :)
  • Options
    Its all about preference. My 2000 Elantra has a few rattles, no more/less then a car like a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic would have. That is what I expected at this price range. The excellent engine power, comfort, stereo, appearence of the car, ergonomics outweights all that. Small rattles doesnt bother me the least! And to be honest, it only rattles in the winter time as the plastic expands/contracts with the heat and cold. I still consider it a great car and would by another one hands down, such as I am contemplating buying the Santa Fe next year. To end this argument about the XG....Great car....All about preference!

bscblue....You are right on target! Those rich people think they know it all, when they dont know crap! Then they wonder why, when they bring their BLACK Bentley to the automatic car wash and see the white scratches it left behind after it went through it, they get all mad and wonder how that happened...God forbid if they should wash it themselves, the water might hurt them. My cars have never been to a car wash once. Always do it myself. Sorry for the long post about that, just I live in an area in this is very common. All the nice cars look like crap and all the VWs, Hyundais, Hondas, etc. look good cause people like us take care of them! :)
  • Options
    liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    i know a couple of rich people with the bentleys and the AMG benzes and the M5s and they actually like my elantra. i let my friend who drives the AMG benz drive my car for a bit and he actually said my car was really quick and he was surprised. all i'm saying is that yes most rich rich people are kind of ignorant when it comes to cars (more $ you spend the better the car is) but people are learning that hyundais are good cars.
  • Options
    Well, don't anybody go off on me and say that I'm saying that all people with any amount of money are usually stupid when it comes to cars. I'm just saying that per capita they seem to have more than their fair share of know-it-alls.

But I have no doubt that with love and tenderness and due regard, all cars can last forever. :o)
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Read the book "The Millionaire Next Door." It describes the buying habits of millionaires. Most people interviewed in the book buy 3-4 year old used Mercedes, letting someone else take the hit for the depreciation. Most never owned a suit costing more than $400, and wear Timex watches. What's the point? Stepping down from an E320 to a Hyundai is fine if it works for the given person. Buying used is also fine. Most cars are horrible investments. If you had a stock perform in value like a car, you'd swear off the market forever.
  • Options
    jarednoahjarednoah Member Posts: 20
    "Rich people" buy "nice" cars because they have earned it. If I have that kind of dispensable money, and can afford to buy anything i desire even if its utterly impractical, I would say i would just buy the best or rather the most pretigious badge there is. I bet that anyone in this forum will agree with me that given the opportunity and an awful lot of money, they would do the same. For now, lets be thankful for the XGs because they give us a glimpse of how it is like to have "luxury car" without shelling too much cash but then again, lets just console ourselves that whatever we do, the XGs can never compare with the MBs, the BMWs, and more so the Bentleys.
  • Options
    kjmc1kjmc1 Member Posts: 5
    One thing I have not been able to resolve is the re-sale value. I know that if I decide to sell after 2 or three year, there will still be warranty.

I'm new here and it's my first post... so be gentle. Help me resolve this issue with what you think might happen.
  • Options
    jarednoahjarednoah Member Posts: 20
    you are more concerned with the resale value than the overall quality of the car, then you are better off buying an accord or a camry. Lets face the fact that once you buy an Xg, it depreciates like you wouldnt believe it. Perhaps that will change in a few years time but not in the very near future. Buyers of Xgs are people who are not the least concerned about the depreciation because they want to keep it for a longer period of time of which- resale value would no longer be an issue. They buy it because they believe that it is an excellent value for money. Badge the XG with Honda and the price goes way up to 30 to 32 gran. Right now Hyundai is improving in terms of quality and Xg shows that. If and and only if Hyundai maintains or even improves that momentum, then and only then can they command a premium price at the same time resale price for their vehicles.

For now, you have to throw the idea of getting a resale value in the range of Honda and Toyota because that aint happening soon. Buy it because you love the personality of the car, it unique looks, its luxury ride and not for anything else. Because if you dont, you are in for a big disappointment and at a crying end.

It is an excellent car for the price with all the features. Dare to be different from the mainstream Accords and Camries. The guys here will tell you that you will love every single minutes you are in an XG...

In the end, it is still you choice and your money...
  • Options
    A car is not really an investment....An investment is suppose to grow, isn't it? Very few cars, such as classics are actual investments and turn out to be worth more then what paid for brand new. But for most cars, they depreciate as SOON as you drive it off the lot. So you lose money when you buy a car...therefore its either a bad investment because you lose $$ or not an investment at all! An investment, in my opinion is buying a house. I bought my house for $279,000. Today, Its worth $380,000. I profited 100 grand if I were to go sell it today.

For the rich people comment...Of course there are rich people out there who will take the time out to listen to common folk about things. I know a few. However, as bscblue said, they have more of fair share of know it alls. I hate rich people like that who think they are better then us middle class folks. Money isn't everything! :) And the funniest part of all this is...the dumbest people are the rich ones, people who are "book smart" but no "street smarts", they dont have the common sense to blow their own nose! I was talking to a rich friend of someone I know about French doors and telling her to go out and buy one....She says to me "But I don't speak french" ?!
  • Options
    And would never offer a new car as an investment...Thanks for the finance lesson. Let me further explain my postition. I'm in sales management and can really rack up the miles...as much as 20 to 25k per year. What does have me interested is the quality and outstanding appointments the XG offers. I am not a rich man, but do quite well and perhaps you have answered the question for me. Maybe its not the car for me if I need to trade it in two years. Back to the world of "Jelly Bean" design.

Seize The Day Folks!
  • Options
    majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    For those who don't know, the XG did the best of all the Hyundai offerings in the 2001 J.D. Powers survey of initial quality.

The XG had 172 problems per 100 vehicles.

The XG has the second best resale value (as a percentage) after five years of all the Hyundai offerings. The XG (according to Money magazine) will be worth 29%. Only the Tiburon (at 31%) has a better resale value.

I have no idea what an XG would be worth after just two or three years of ownership.
  • Options
    Id buy the XG300 if I were you. I bought the Elantra for the same reason. I am racking up the miles with my commute. But if you are going to go way over average mileage, your car isnt going to worth much at all come selling time. You might as well buy one and keep it till its dead. Thats what I plan to do w/ my elantra. People complain about resale. What they fail to realize is this. It doesnt matter if you buy the civic or the elantra. You pay 2000 less for the elantra then the civic now, but when you go to sell it, you ll get that 2000 back on the civic in resale. It depends if you want the money now or later! :)I like the elantra better then the civic though, thats why I bought it. You save now with the elantra, but when it comes selling time, you get that money back with the civic!
  • Options
    of you XG owners who have put over 10K on one. I keep reading about the waveeeee ride...bottoming out with the smallest of dips or speed bumps. Sometimes, the organizations who review auto's get a little caught up in what their driving today and can be a little harsh. So I would rather hear it from the horses mouth.

I hope I don't get told to read all the previous post. Thanks for your responses thus far...it really is helping
  • Options
    I don't have 10k on my XG yet but i'm sure the ride is not going to change much for a long time.I have approx.500 miles on the car and can tell you that dips and speed bumps are NOT a problem with this car. I do have the 16" wheel option and possibly the suspension has been "retuned" a bit,i don't know.So this car may be a bit different than the first ones?The tires are set at 33psi all around and the ride is not "spongy".its just about right for me.I saw some of those "float" reports but again i don't see any real problem here.I suppose you can do 90mph across some of those Arizona highway dips and go airborne But, keep in mind this car is not intended or designed to be thrown around like a Porshe.The ride is comfortable. Hope this helps.By the way, no problems with this car except the original scratched headlight and am section of the radio weak(both being replaced under warranty)This car is a steal!I love it...
  • Options
    That i have slowly went over speed bumps and have not bottomed out. have not felt that it would bottom either even with a little more speed.
  • Options
    I'm taking another ride today. The problem with taking another ride is that it's hard to walk away without buying it! I'm about a week away from making the decision...I think? I'll post after this ride.
    Again, thanks for your reply!
  • Options
    I second what dvdphile1 said regarding the suspension. There was an Australian review that dinged the XG300 (Grandeur) for it's soft suspension. They were able to bottom out the vehicle on a speed bump, but I've never been able to duplicate what they did. In seven months of driving I've only bottommed out one time and that was when I practically dived the vehicle into a parking lot entry ramp with an immediate rise after the curb dip. I suspect that any car I've every driven would have also bottomed out. The Australian review also dinged the XG's suspension for not being able to keep up with a sports sedan in a James Bond style chase scene on cobble stone streets. Duh... It's not a sports sedan.

Usually the ride has been compared to Buick and other American highway curisers, but I have a sneeking suspiscion that what Hyundai really did was attempt to emulate the softness of the Lexus 300 ride.

Apparently the shock absorbers adjust based on the speed of the vehicle though I'm not 100% sure of that. Hyundai has done a pretty poor job of putting out technical information for it's customers on the XG300, in my opinion.

Base XG White 10,000 miles
  • Options
    What else can you tell me about your 10K experience...good and or bad? Any rattles, noise, maintanace issues?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    No Rattles or squeaks yet. A couple of really minor quality issues. Blew a fuse while rolling 4 windows up and down at the same time but haven't been able to duplicate that. My intermittent wipers also have a tendency to jump to low wipers from the highest intermittent setting. So minor I figured it wasn't worth my time to fix it.

My only real complaint with the suspension is at high speed in the wake of big trucks. Other than that it's smoooooth cruising :)
  • Options
    yk911yk911 Member Posts: 130
    for the models released since sept.

the rear tends to be abit softer(lower spring rates) then expected.

for the Granduer models in australia... they were the same models sold in the Korean Domestic Market.. as they tend to have a more "LIMO" ride

after the bad review HMC decided to redo the suspension (different spring rates).. which were installed in the models that were exported to north america in sept.

hence you can see the ride height difference between the korean model and the model made for america.

as of this april.. HMC has sort of retuned the suspension abit. The car comes with a slightly thicker sway bar (might be rear only)... hence different part numbers... and as for the spring rate.. i haven't heard of a change.

the sway bar + 16" wheels = better handling then the models released in sept.to may...

i hope this was informative... http://www.fxtreme.org/forums/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=11

• Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    Much, much better.