Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

Comments

• Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    but paragraph 2 and 3 do carry some valid suggestions.
  • Options
    hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    have owned 5 new cars in 15 years. 1) Chevy(ISUZU) Spectrum. Unmitigated junk...that is why Isuzu dosen't even make cars anymore.

2) Nissan sentra,xe,1990; great little car...got into 3 accidents w/o injuries(had NO airbags,just seatbelts) Hit a deer @55mph, rearended, and ran off road.

only paid $400 to fix stuff that shouldn't have broken. in 9 year,230,000+ miles. Rust was killing the car.

3) 200sx Nissan,1997, stink-o. ignition coil fried, starter needed to be rebuilt, plugs fried out,frame(steel seat frame) tore throught the drivers seat after warranty was over.
    66,000 miles and dumped it.

4) 1999Sonata gls-v6. nice car. cd player died.
    that is about it for now. 72,000 miles, 30 months of ownership. OHHHHH, timing belt was messed up at 58,000 miles, and replaced free under warranty.

5) 2001 Tiburon., 20,000+ miles in 7 1/2 months. No problems .
    so ya see. Nissan had one great car, the other junk. so, far , Hyundai's are ok.
    Chevy had junk from 1987.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We need to calm down a little, and be careful of the language we are choosing. Surely we can find a way to express our feelings without making personal attacks and/or using terms that some find blasphemous and offensive.

Thanks - I appreciate your consideration of your fellow Town Hall members.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    yk911yk911 Member Posts: 130
    the wind noise is probably from the "FLAG" type mirrors on both sides... than the weather striping.
  • Options
    " The SRS is designed to worked with the 3 point seatbelt system. The SRS deploys in certain front end impact conditions where significant injury is likely. The SRS is not a substitute for seatbelts which must be worn at all times."....

"The TCS is meant to enhance conscientious driving habits and is not a substitute for proper driving procedures"
  • Options
    sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    (To be taken in a completely non-flaming, respectful, and courteous way)

Yes, I am a systems analyst (so is my wife) but on a Mainframe Computer, not a PC. My PC is for recreation. Should I want to invest the time I could upload anything I wish. My remarks were in hopes that someone out there knew a short cut. I work on a computer all day and prefer to go to movies, fish, etc. in my time off, not do more programming. Sometimes you turn down a challenge because it just does not interest you enough to bother. Regarding my intelligence, I am a former Associate Professor with three degrees who taught Computer Science for 17 years. I was writing Assembler code, on IBM equipment, using punched cards, before anyone ever thought of a PC.

Yes, I did post one message on the other forum. Like Edmunds' forum, I visited that forum often when I was considering the car but, to be honest, had not returned until the other day. I have not returned again since my last post. Frankly, when I viewed the forum before I did not have a Hyundai yet and paid no attention to the advocate portion of the site. Since then, I completely forgot about it. I guess the whole point of my objections to the way Corporate Hyundai does business is that no customer should be forced to take such measures as to find and use a relatively unknown forum to communicate with Hyundai. I sincerely do appreciate you suggestion though and will keep it in mind. However, this problem with Hyundai has gone on for over four months. As I said earlier, I have attempted to contact Hyundai repeatedly and got only one chance. That was the meeting with the regional representative at the dealership. This meeting could not have taken place were it not for the help of the service director at the local dealership. For some reason Hyundai seemingly has ignored me from the beginning. Also, I have heard that the rep I spoke with has been reassigned elsewhere since my fiasco. I am just guessing that the situation with my car may have unfairly hurt his career.

As I had mentioned earlier, I had asked the area manager, over several of the dealerships, to attempt to induce Hyundai to rethink their decision. They asked me to give them another 48 hours. That was three days ago and I haven't heard a thing. I guess I have no choice but to seek a legal remedy, something that my schedule of the past few weeks has precluded me from doing. I hope to speak with my attorney next week to answer questions as to what to do next. I cannot adequately express how much unneeded stress this has placed into my life. After all of these years however I cannot change who I am. The only thing I hate worse than fighting is loosing, particularly without a fight.

Regarding the wind noise; on my particular XG, this was clearly due to weather stripping. Literally , you could place your finger up against the defective part and stop the noise.

Regarding the passive restraint system; as I indicated on and earlier post, I have a medical condition, an illistomy, with which the seat belt interferes. I also have a note from my doctor that I keep in my car stating such. Also, the airbag system is something that many people claim, often strongly, to have the definitive answer about yet the answer remains unclear. Some maintain that the airbag system, including the passenger air bag system, will not engage unless the driver is wearing a seat belt. If this is true, then all manufacturers who use such a system should make it clear, including with the use of warning stickers, that "the airbag will not inflate unless the belt is fastened". Also, again if true, I believe that the system should be redesigned so that the passenger is not put in a position to possibly loose their life because the driver elected not to buckle up. My wife was buckled in during our wreck and her air bag did not deploy either. Another group, who is just as educated and determined in their beliefs, claim that the driver air bags will deploy after first tightening the seat belt, whether they are buckled or not. The passenger side will act accordingly only if there is a passenger in the seat. I even asked for clarification on this matter from the regional rep when we met and he did not know himself. I would be good to know the definitive answer on this.
  • Options
    lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    saga I have seen on Edmund's.I look forward each day to see what has transpired.The XG seems to have a Christine-like vendetta for you.Each time,I think you will be forced to concede it's all fabrication,you find a way out in an almost Clintonesque manner.Simply amazing.
  • Options
    david1812david1812 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I was wondering if you could answer my question from earlier. Did the pole break? Sorry to be a pest but I was just curious. Thanks.
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I bought my first Hyundai in July 2001 - a 2001.5 Elantra GT 5-speed. So far, the only legitimate quirk I have encountered after 13,000 miles is an infrequent CD player malfunction. It works most of the time, but sometimes a good bump in the road will cause it to default to "err 03" and it will eject the CD. Sometimes, even a serious road bump will not affect it.

Other than that, I love the Elantra GT.

Back to the XG, my sister-in-law really liked the car when she saw one, but is hesitant to buy one because it is a "Hyundai." My brother (her husband) just couldn't handle owning a Hyundai - but he's got serious issues with image. I can't understand why, though, because the Pontiac Bonneville they've owned has been laden with problems up to its current 65,000 miles. I think they've had it for major repairs at least 7 times.

I expect that any quality problems with the XG may be due to it being a completely new model. I feel confident that Hyundai will get any quirks corrected on future model years.

Hyundai has come a long way in improving their quality!
  • Options
    john115john115 Member Posts: 45
    Received notice of recall on all XG's produced
    between Aug 24th through Sept 30th,2000.Seems
    thePower Control Modules[PCM]condenser was not installed properly on to PCM printed circuit board. Can cause damage to ignition failure sensor,and engine stalling. My fall into this category,but have had no problems.
  • Options
    hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    #737 is his first post about the accident.
    "...On Thursday the 11th, despite my efforts at avoiding two dogs on a rain slick highway, I killed a black lab and lost control. I was traveling about 50 mph and the anti-lock brakes apparently did what they are designed to do in that I did not skid on the highway, then again neither did I stop. When I left the road I slid another 100 feet before striking a telephone pole severing it in half. I certainly do not blame my XG in any way for these events,..."

Note that he didn't mention any brake problem. Now he is accusing Hyundai put defective brake system in his car.

#845 on Dec. 8 by sobright
    "...They have replaced the master cylinder,
    which was apparently bleeding through as the pedal could be
    pushed hard all the way to the floor, they also claim to have
    replaced the anti-lock brake module as well as the traction
    control module."

But strangely nothing on the phantom TCS module in the "narrative" of the work order.

It appears the mechanic replaced the ABS module twice.
    From #884 "...advised by mac to replace abs unit again,..."
    "...checked line routing, lines not connected to abs unit correctly, rerouted lines connected correct,..."

sobright in #870 on Jan 18"...After nearly three weeks the
    mechanic discovered that on the six brake lines entering into the
    traction control module, only two were installed into the correct
    orifice."
  • Options
    When a wheel locks up in ABS mode, the system including EBD(Electronic Brake-force Distribution) disables itself and the ABS and brake lamps are lit.
    The conventional hydraulic brakes function normally, but brake force is not apportioned according to the weight distribution since the EBD is disabled.
    What it means is that equal brake pressure is applied to front and rear brakes making either of the rear wheels easy to lock-up.

In front-engine front-drive car, without any brake force proportioning mechanism in place, the rear always locks up first before the front making the car's rear turn sideways.
    Some of you may have tried the 180-degree-spin stunt by manipulating the parking brake.
  • Options
    When I wrecked the car I applied the brakes and nothing happened. Given that I had plenty of brake pedal I assumed that everything was working correctly, However, the car continued onward a great distance no matter what I did to attempt to stop it. I assumed that the brakes were working properly due to the brake pedal effort. Still, nothing about this incident made any sense. I was was neither driving fast nor reckless yet could not stop despite plenty of room. I lay no blame on the car at that time because I assumed that the brakes had functioned properly. My remarks about the car not sliding were based on my not hearing the sound of any tires sliding on pavement. Without a doubt though the car slid after it left the road.

Regarding the TCS module that you seem so anal about, I repeat that that was the wording used my the body shop, apparently repeating the wording of the dealer's service department. Additionally, checking with the dealer, I am told that it is not uncommon to use this term interchangeably "in the industry" with the word anti-lock brake system module in that they are apparently somehow connected as one unit. Perhaps it is like people up north calling a Coke a Pop. Also, when I first took my car from the dealer, on the occasion that they thought that they had fixed the car, they had not entered all of the information into their computer yet but clearly wrote on my paper work that they had replaced the TCS module.

Regarding all of your information about wheels locking up the anti-lock brake system etc, if the brake lines going to the wheels and coming from the master cylinder are miss-routed, as I was told that they were (4 of 6 - that being two from the master cylinder and the four to the brakes), then the computer in the ABS would potentially be getting incorrect signals and would attempt to prevent a wheel from locking up that was not locked up at all. Also, pressure might not have been relieved to wheels that were already locked up. It seems only logical that either or both situations could have resulted in a skid or loss of breaking ability.

I might point out that I am not a professional Hyundai mechanic and do not have access to a library of technical service information from Hyundai from which to a quote impressive specs. The technical information I have attempted to provide on this forum was just an attempt to pass on what was provided to me by the service department working on my car. However, I can absolutely attest to the sliding of the car and the failing of the brakes. I am just an XG owner who had a car that would not stop and that could have killed me or someone else. I did not know why it would not stop until I got the car back from the shop and the car's brake system failed again. Only then did the brake system receive a thorough investigation from the dealer as to why. Their conclusion, not mine - but one which I respect, was based upon miss-routed brake lines and apparently a bad master cylinder. However, you apparently conclude that neither of these things either could have happened or apparently could have caused the brake system to fail. I disagree, as I was the one taking out the windshield with my forehead, then later experiencing the whole thing again, only this time, quite luckily, while only going into a skid at around 10 mph. I personally never slid the car sideways, but then again I only slid it twice and that was enough for me. The dealer slid it over and over again over a two week period. To be fair, perhaps I should say that he skidded it when it was not raining and slid it when it was. I was not in the car when the mechanic turned it sideways. However, I was in the back seat when he, three times during this particular test drive, applied the brakes hard and the car went into a slide (it was raining). As I said earlier, we immediately took out a brand new XG350 which stopped immediately during a rainstorm. The difference was dramatic. What motive would a Hyundai mechanic have who admitted, well before we knew what was wrong with the car, that the car's brakes malfunctioned so badly that the entire vehicle slid sideways. Hell, my insurance paid for the repairs, why would I make all this up? Even worse, why would both the dealership and I both make alligations that the car was sliding if they were not true? I have a life well away from this car. All this is just a hindrance to me which I look forward to ending. By the way, it makes little difference as to whether the car is sliding sideways, backwards, or straight ahead, the fact that the car was sliding is enough of an indication that the brakes had badly malfunctioned.

You have seen too many spy movies, this is not some undercover plot by underworld agents to come up with a way to destable the Korean economy. You seem to think that everyone but you is either a buffoon or a liar. I am just an average person whose relitavely new car malfunctioned. There is no cloak and dagger here, no one was out trying to make the car into something that it wasn't by applying the parking brake to slide the car sideways. I have been very careful to attempt to fairly point out the good and the bad about the XG, unfortunately if you experience the bad, as I have, it is really, really bad. You on the other hand if you seem incapable of thinking that Hyundai could possibly have made a mistake. From my perspective, that is about all I have seen them do.

Yes, the pole was severed.
  • Options
    "...Only then did the brake system receive a thorough investigation from the dealer as to why."
    This is truly laughable since it implies they didn't do a thorough job of replacing the module in the first place.

Let's go over this painfully obvious facts.
    In order to remove an ABS module on XG, the brake lines must be disconnected from it.
    When you install a new unit, the same pipes must be connected to the holes they are supposed to go.
    Can the pipes be routed correctly without a thorough knowledge of which pipe goes to which port in the ABS module?

You had never reported any brake problem before Oct. 14 on this forum.
    After you got back your car from the dealer, who had replaced the ABS module once at that point, it malfunctioned so badly that you decided not to drive it.

Who messed up the ABS by misrouting the brake pipes?

About the ABS and TCS, no, the two terms are not used interchangeably in the industry and your dealer clearly used the term as if a separate TCS unit exists in XGs.
    You wrote in #845,
    "...they also claim to have replaced the anti-lock brake module as well as the traction control module."
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I can not help wondering why you feel you have to justify your problem to this person. You obviously have a considerable amount of patience. You had a very real problem while driving a vehicle that you paid good money for. I do not believe Hyundaima is going to be of much help in solving your problem, even if you can convince him you are being truthful.This is all just MHO and I hope all works out well for you.
  • Options
    Well, the time has come for me to move to another forum as the rhetoric here has become mundane. As for me I have a full life outside of this computer and it is time to go four wheeling, crappie fishing, and to search for another vehicle. I do leave with one message to those of you out there honestly telling of your experiences with your cars and particularly for those of you who are now looking to buy a new vehicle, the same position that I was in just a few months ago when I first signed on to this forum. These forums can provide useful information, but only so long as they remain honest. Unfortunately, not only do regular people and potential customers like myself use these forums but, so to do dealers, mechanics, salesmen, etc. who have much to loose if their product should prove unreliable or even dangerous. As a result, these groups of people constantly monitor these forums. Some of these people are scrupulous, and some are even helpful. Most, even in disagreement, are civil. Unfortunately, there are groups and individuals using these forums for nothing more than their own self-preservation. For them the stakes are quite high, if a negative word gets out about their product, no matter how accurate, they could potentially loose their jobs. As a result, whenever someone like myself who has a bad experience expresses himself, no matter how honestly, the attack begins and there are obviously few boundaries that these people will not cross. I even understand that on occasion Edmunds has had to suspend topics of discussion when immature people have engaged in personal attacks rather than substantive discussions. In some cases it even appears that they bring in others to support their point of view. Several months ago, on another forum, an extremely vicious and seemingly well-orchestrated campaign took place to discredit a few individuals who claimed that, despite regular oil changes, the oil in their Toyota V6 engines became clogged with sludge. While I don't know who was right, the hateful, and mean spirited, attack on these few people lessened the credibility of those defending Toyota. From some of the posts I have read about my situation, apparently the same is true on this forum. There is perhaps another reason for some of the shockingly blatant hostility some of these people use on these forums. There seems to be a obvious attempt to provoke the person with whom they disagree into responding in a threatening or profane way. As you might expect, Edmunds cannot, and should not, allow such posts which would leave them no choice but to restrict the offender from further usage of these forums. What an easy way to get rid of the person with whom you disagree? Conversely, to be completely fair, and from another perspective, there are probably unscrupulous dealers from other manufacturers who use these forums to deliberately berate their competitions products posing as average people like you and me.

During the past several days both my intelligence and my honesty have been challenged as well as the honesty and intelligence of the shop personnel at the dealership who repaired my car. I mentioned the name of the dealership only in hopes that someone from Hyundai, someone smarter and with more integrity than those with whom I had dealt, might contact this dealer and follow up on my situation. I had no idea that there would be an attempt to discredit the service personnel at the dealership. For this I am sincerely apologetic. Then again, I told you that these people had few boundaries that they would not cross.

It occurs to me that I have accomplished what I set out to do. I have pointed out my multiple problems with my particular XG300, some of which from my perspective were even life threatening. There are already a few others individuals starting to post of problems too. I believe there will be many more. Those who wish to believe me will do so and those who would rather ignore me will do as they wish at their own peril. I am not affected either way.

In closing, the purchase of this automobile was by far the most expensive financial error I have ever made and went against the advise of everyone with whom I consulted. As a result, I would strongly urge any potential buyer to consider any other make.
  • Options
    lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    I believe that you have described yourself perfectly in your last posting.I am convinced that the problems you have described never occured.My conclusion were reached solely on your postings -not the postings of anyone questioning your credibility.To incorrectly hook-up the ABS lines would not be possible ;without bending and crimping the lines.Your love of "crappie"fishing seems most appropriate
    My response to your feeling of indignation is -BOOHOO.
  • Options
    Obviously, everyone reading this discussion is free to believe or disbelieve any message posted here.

What you are not free to do is engage in personal attacks.

So let's just calm down and remember that if you cannot post a civil and respectful response, just don't post at all.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    I have read many posts about people find it surprising to realize that XG is a product of Hyundai and how delightful they were in founding XG surprising good for the money. Especially when they realize that they are getting more (one example is 5 speed "shiftronic" automatic tranny) car for the money, which supposedly competes against the loaded Camrys, Accords, Maximas and etc. Many automotive magazines place XG against these favorite import sedans mainly because they are in the similar price range.

However, did you know that current generation Hyundai Sonata was designed and benchmarked against Toyota Camry from the onstart? Which implies as a luxurier/higher model than Sonata, XG can tackle bigger boys other than the current competitions it is facing in the States. Now, allow me to explain this "nonsense" as some people might accuse of me.

Top-of-line XG in Korea costs 31,960,000 Won (Korean currency) which would costs $24,585 (using the currency exchange rate of $1:1,300 Won) before tax. And it comes really loaded: standard equipments of XG350L plus the navigation system (T.V. function included), HID headlights (low beam only), electronically adjustable suspension system(sports/touring), "rear" seat warmers, and electronically illuminated gauges, and etc, but only 3.0-liter engine is available in Korea. Also wannenties are puny compared to what is available in the States. It looks really cheap even with the extra goodies that people don't get in the States, right? Well, the answer lies in Korean currency's current state of weakness.

As most people should know, South Korea nearly went bankrupt sometimes in '97. Before this economy downfall, one dollar bought only 800 Won compared to today's 1300 Won. Now, let's us assume this exchange rate hold true today, then the top-of-the-line XG in Korea would cost $39,950!!! For around 40K, you could get a 2002 Audi A6 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A) for $39,750 MSRP or a 2002 BMW 5-Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M) for $39,450 MSRP. Both of them are very similar in terms of size (engine size too) when compared to XG.

Will people choose XG over these venerable German vehicles at the price tag of 40K? However, in Korea, XG is revered as people rever Mercedes or Bmw. Maybe I am exaggerating, but it deserve better competitiors than the loaded Camrys, Accords, or Maximas. I hope this answers your question,"How can they keep the price low with so many standard features?" whenever you look at the window stickers of Hyundai vehicles and change your perception that XG is a cheap vehicle because it looks like value-driven with its a long list of features.
  • Options
    phdepphdep Member Posts: 9
    have owned my XG300L for about 6 months now and have around 9,000 miles on it, am happy with car except for one minor problem, it usually takes ONE SECOND to engage into DRIVE, a couple of times in real cold weather, it took about FIVE SECONDS, again, this only happened TWICE and when the engine was stone cold, first time starting in the morning. My dealer sais thats normal, does anyone out ther have similar "problem"????
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Are you suggesting that the XG would cost $40K if Korea didn't face economic woes in '97? As good as the XG may seem to be, I don't think it would have been out in the US as a $40K luxury sedan.... I think you should look at how the Korean Won has inflated over the last 5 years -- 32,000,000W is still a lot of money today, but it is certainly not the same 32,000,000W back in '96 or '97 before the economic troubles.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    acelink, only this morning I was reading the December 2001 issue of Car and Driver magazine comparison test. They ranked the XG fourth among ten midsize cars. The top three, Accord (1st), Camry (2nd) and the new Altima (3rd).

Like you, I believe the XG350/L should be in a different sedan class with major competitors being the Toyota Avalon XL/XLS, the Buick LaSabre and the Infinit I35. This geriatric sedan class appeals to those who enjoy a quiet cabin, supple leather and a cushy ride.

At the New England auto show last fall the XG300, (there were XG350 at the show) attracted huge crowds compared to those mentioned above. The visitors comments were the same, great car for the money but how about durability and dependability. In a perverse way the low price casts a negative shadow over the XG350/L.
  • Options
    site815site815 Member Posts: 16
    about 33,000,000.

So i would'nt blame it all on inflation.
  • Options
    dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    is normal. As posted in earlier comments there is a short delay in engagement for this transmision. My xg exhibits same delay since day one. Now over 6k miles. Great car if durability holds up.
  • Options
    khanson241khanson241 Member Posts: 2
    Can you all throw up some recent pricing experience on the 02 xg350 for me? Specify if it is base or L, (I have been unable to locate a base yet, everyone has L) and if it had "options." Also, I am interested if anyone can find a new 01 xg300. This would be our second new hyundai, but Hyundai appears to be running a rebate offer on a phantom car. Also, has anyone heard from a credible source whether the current xg300 rebate will become an xg350 rebate when the current one expires on thurdsday?

Thanks for all you help. Man, I sure hope I don't get one where the abs lines were hooked up crosswise! (Just Kidding! Really! No flames needed....)
  • Options
    a pic(artist drawing) of the revised "rear" of the upcoming XG

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/down/gallery_file/xg_back.jpg

• Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    boy, if they really make the next year's XG look like that in the back it'd go down as one of the ugliest...
  • Options
    acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    Nobody in their right minds would buy XG at 40k, not with the memories of Excel still lingering around. Not that Hyundai would sell it at 40K even if it cost that much to produce one. Allow me to post my thoughts on this.

Did you know that Hyundai had been selling its cars near invoice or at a loss in the overseas market until quite recently? Hyundai is able to do so because it reaps high profit from the domestic market to cover its heavy losses it has been occurring abroad. I will try to explain next why Hyundai has been losing or earning little profit abroad and how it covers those losses in the home market.

I read a review of ’99 Sonata by Car & Driver, where it said the car came with thicker glass in the US than the home market because Americans prefer their rides to be quiet. Does this imply that Koreans are more tolerable to noise or what? What about the OEM tires in Hyundai cars? In US, many come standard with Michelin, while all Hyundai models except ’02 Tuscani V6 in Korea come with Kumho (and it is NOT the high performance tire known as ECSTA Supra 712 in the States). Talking about the airbags, passenger cars in the US have been equipped with standard dual front airbags for some times now, while you can still see some ’02 Hyundai brochures proudly boasting, "standard driver side airbag." Heck, even side airbags come standard in the base models in the States. What about the engines? The base engine for Elantra, Sonata, and XG in Korea vs. US is 1.5-liter vs. 2.0-liter, 1.8-liter vs. 2.4-liter, and 3.0-liter vs. 3.5-liter respectively (lowly XG models in Korea start with lowly 2.0-liter engine). Finally, there is that catchy "America’s best warranty" program in the States to mock the Hyundai owners in Korea whose warranties look truly pathetic in terms of length and coverage. And what about the quality of dealer service in Korea? While it is a norm to take a test drive before you buy a car in the States, most dealers in Korea would look at you as if you are from Mars if you ask them such a thing. Also, we can’t haggle for lower price at all in Korea.

At this point, some of you might dispute my saying that Hyundai sells its products overseas cheaper than it does in the home market based on what I said in my previous post. In my last post, I said top-of-line XG in Korea loaded to grill (but with 3.0-liter engine) with equipments such as HID headlights, electrically controlled suspension system and navigation system (most notable features missing in the States) costs $24,585 (before tax). Top-of-line XG (350L with all options selected) in the States costs $26,783 MSRP (heard anyone paying at MSRP in the States?). Looking at these prices, it appears to be Hyundai is selling its automobiles cheaper in the home market than at the overseas markets, but this is only if you are naively thinking of purchasing XG in Korea with the U.S. currency, and not to mention that Hyundai uses cheaper parts in the cars bound for the home market as I previously try to illustrate.

Let’s assume that you make a living as a minimum wage earner in both countries. In the States, minimum wage per hour is $5.75, while it is around 1,865 Won in Korea (i.e. it is much easier to earn money in the States than Korea which may also explain why we work on Saturdays too). This amounts to petty $1.43 (using the today’s exchange rate of 1300 won to a dollar). So in Korea it takes whopping 17,192 hours at minimum wage per hour to buy the top-of-the-line XG, while it only takes 4,657 hours to do so in the States. Even in the good old days before every Korean got to learn the acronym IMF in ’97, being a brand new car owner in Korea was still a hard thing to accomplish. Before the economy mishap, one dollar bought only 800 Won compared to today's 1300 Won, which means it would take a minimum wager to work 17,137 hrs while it would take 6,948 hours to do so in the States. If we tentatively assume this 800 Won to a dollar holds true today, XG would cost $39,950 as I previously said. Subtracting HID headlights, navigation system, and electronically controlled suspension to bring about the equipment level closer to the US bound XGs, would cut the price by $4,785 (3,900,000 Won divided by 800 Won) to still high $35,165. At this price, it would not make XG marketable in the States, yet this high price is the reason why I view XG deserve better competitors than the ones that are often compared against in the States.

Thus this is where weak Korean currency (against US dollar) comes into play. Remember, even Hyundai wasn’t sure people would warm up to the idea of buying luxurious Hyundai in the States when it decided to export XG to the U.S. Top of the line XG in Korea equipped similar to the US bound model would cost about 28,060,000 Won or $21,585 (using today’s exchange rate of 1300 won to a dollar and this does not include the transportation cost, insurance cost, and etc. costs added on the way to the States). Now at this current exchange rate, Hyundai had nothing to lose by bringing XG to the States. But the real benefactors of weak Korean currency is the American consumers because you guys are in effect purchasing a car that is in a level close to Lexus ES300 or Infiniti I30 but are able to buy it at the price range close to Toyota Camry or Nissan Maxima.
  • Options
    "What about the OEM tires in Hyundai cars? In US, many come standard with Michelin, "

in canada.... all except the XG, come with KUMHO tires.... standard.... only when you buy a "top" of the line model of a "SONATA",
    "elantra" etc. you get michelins.
  • Options
    i have a friend who bought an XG in korea a couple of months ago...
    and this is what he told me..

for around 32,995 CND... he got HID, no navigation, no sunroof and 2.5 v6 4 speed with different type of wheels, memory seats.

but in canada... 32,995 CND gets you 3.5 V6 5 speed, no navigation, no HID, no memory seats, sunroof.

ahh.. and from pictures... it seems that canadian model XG's sit lower than the XG models in the states or korea.
  • Options
    dafuowndafuown Member Posts: 11
    I can't complain anything about my XG350L, now just passed 2000 miles since I bought in November 01. However, I do feel it is almost irritating that the car lunges when starts in 1st gear (not other gears) especially when the engine is cold. I don't understand why Hyundai wants to have this feature designed in the transmission on a car with so much power. You better not be sipping hot coffee at this time because it really dashes out (watch out when you are in a tight space). Some may like that kind of kicking sensation that the car is so sporty. I don't. The only way to avoid it seems to be using the shiftronic device. But then it revs up just like a manual transmission until you shift into 2nd. Is there anyway that the transmission computer can be reset to have a smooth start?? Anyone knows?
  • Options
    I just wanted to say... no one makes smooth transmissions like GM..
  • Options
    dbronzosrdbronzosr Member Posts: 5
    I need some pricing help from 2002 XG350L owners. I have my choice of either Ivory (pearl)or Green (Celadon) with 8 CD changer, Floor mats, Trunk Cargo Net, Rear Mud Guards (do they make front Guards?), and Sunroof wind deflector. Cars list out at $26819.00 with freight. Dealer has provided factory invoice of $24,469.00 which includes $500.00 for advertising. Is this the correct price for this car not including hold back? I can buy either one at this price plus Massachusetts sales tax (5%). Dealer says there is no dealer incentives on XG's. I would be very happy to hear what others think, and is the best price for the car. Also are there any other factory options? I have to decide by next week.
  • Options
    everything you need to know about our AIRBAGS

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394880418#_394880418

• Options
    john00john00 Member Posts: 27
    Sounds like a good deal to me $ 24,469 I'd jump on that price. Also get the Ivory Pearl, that's
    what I have. It's really really nice, and I usually try to buy green cars. Doesn't show the dirt or scratches.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I think the XG350 is a pretty nice car. From the reviews I have read, everyone pretty much thinks so. My question has to do with how well the car holds its value. I know it's the first $25,000 Hyundai, and that's alot of money anyway. Especially alot for is a Hyundai (in some peoples' opinions anyway). So is it worth it? Just curious. And how well is the car holding its value? Anyone trade one yet?

Also, how is quality thus far? I know the car hasn't been out long, but how is quality control and the reliability of the car? I would read back through all the posts, but don't really have time. And how is fuel economy? Thanks for your help. :)
  • Options
    dafuowndafuown Member Posts: 11
    You are basically told to pay $500 over invoice. I think it is a very decent offer considering you even have the choice between colors. I will really drive the car and compare the feeling before just committing on color only. Quality is everything and I am not 100% Hyundai is very consistent in quality based on my own XG350L experience and what I read over many message board on Hyundai. If you are experienced enough you can tell whether you are getting a lemon. So try it on freeway, hard stop, tight corner turn..... just to listen the engine, brake, transmission.... without your stereo on (try your stereo when car is parked). I bought one at the same price range in November when the car is brand new on market and not much of selection available (only two available in the dealership and my car died). If I would do it again, I would drive every car in the lot until I am happy with the choice.
  • Options
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • Options
    phdepphdep Member Posts: 9
    to person who posted message#937, could you please explain what exactly happened to your xg300, i am in the market for one now, would appreciate it, and was it a 01 or 02 model??
  • Options
    mavric68mavric68 Member Posts: 17
    My XG300L left me stranded last night. Roadside assistance was very responsive. Last week, I got in to start the car and it would not start. Then I noticed that none of the dashboard lights(engine, oil, seatbelt, etc) would come on like they normally do when the ignition is in the "on" position. As I was looking around trying to decide what to do next (with the ignition still in the "on" position) the dash lights came on and I was able to start the car. Two days later, the check engine light came on. I spent 3 hours at the dealer and they said the CPU that controls the electronics was acting up and they tried to download a new program into it, but it wouldn't take it. They do not keep these units in stock and said that it would take a couple of days to get one in, but it would be drivable in the meantime. They then reset the engine light. Oh yeah, they also told me that my car thought it was in Alaska. Said it came off the assembly line to be sold in Alaska, but was sent to Tennessee instead. Evidently, this causes the shift points to vary slightly from normal settings (never had a problem with the shift points). Last night, it had the same problem--got in and the dash lights would not come on and it would not start. This CPU obviously controls the EFI, because the starter was working just fine, but couldn't turn over the engine. Love the car and have had no other problems, (8,200 miles) just wish they wouldn't have told me it was safe to drive as I could've made other arrangements but instead got stranded on a Saturday night. Again, roadside assistance was very responsive and towed it to the dealer. I'll hear from them Monday morning.
  • Options
    leirexleirex Member Posts: 50
    For those who remember what I posted, I finally took mine to service for the airbag-light-always-on problem, wind noise and engine noise that were suppposed to be fixed in December. They fixed the airbag light problem but told me that they had to order another alternator and part for the wind noise. I was told that the alternator that they replaced last time was working fine but making lot more noise. The wind noise seems to be coming from the triangular thing right above the sideview mirror. Well.. this was the eighth or ninth time I had to take mine to service in the last four and a half months since I bought it on September 9, 2001. Let me see how many more times I have to take it to service until the seemingly best warranty in America expires. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi!

Was just interested to hear from XG owners how their cars are holding up in terms of squeaks and rattles. Any significant problems with noises from the dash, doors, or console? The XG generally gets favorable reviews related to assembly quality and materials, but just wondered how they are holding up over time.

As a side note, our local Hyundai dealer is now adding a "Market Value Adjustment" of $1,500 to all Hyundai models. So, if you want any Hyundai around here, the going price is STICKER plus $1,500. I haven't tried to negotiate anything yet to see how much they will discount, but it is interesting nonetheless. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!
  • Options
    mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    My '01 XG300 has nearly 14000 miles, and there are no squeaks or rattles. The only thing bugging me is the rear suspension is kind of "hoppy" and thumps a lot over bumps and such. I'm having the dealer check it out Thursday when the car goes in for the 15000 mi. service check.
  • Options
    dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    My xg300 has no noise problems other than some slight wind noise. But on coarse roads quite a bit of road noise. For "mikewesq". Somebody posted about the rear suspension noise and it was found to be the spare tire cover making the noise.
    Corrected by some stick on foam insulation. Check it out. I like this car and love the warranty just in case.
  • Options
    newxgnewxg Member Posts: 34
    I've been pretty happy with the build quality. I had a wind leak on the passenger side window fixed at 15,000 miles they replaced the window seals). Other than that only very minor issues. It's generally a smooth quiet ride and because of that this vehicle is a very good platform for car stereo

XG300 Base
    21,000 miles

Alpine 7878 head unit
    Alpine F357 amp
    JBL 10" subwoofer
    Infinity Reference speakers
    XM Satellite Radio
  • Options
    fencesitter2fencesitter2 Member Posts: 7
    Looked at an xg350L this am. and was impressed!Got an e-mail from dealerships internet sales that during Feb.I could purchase an xg350L for 500 below invoice? Whats up gang,am I being lowballed?
  • Options
    leirexleirex Member Posts: 50
    I have had a squeaking problem that was coming from rear bushing. New bushing was installed under warranty. I have wind noise problem second time that is verified by service tech coming from passenger side triagular window seal. Part has been ordered. The same wind noise problem was fixed about two months ago but came back. Now alternator makes more noises than the first time. New alternator has been ordered too. This is the second alternator to be replaced. By the way, mine has about 10500 miles on it.
  • Options
    mikewesqmikewesq Member Posts: 32
    That was me who reported the foam insulation fix. It seemed to help for a while, but even with the tire cover removed from the trunk I found that the rear suspension was still making a lot of thumping. The tire cover tends to amplify the problem by moving around or "hopping". I feel that the suspension gets discombobulated by dips and bumps and such and does not do a good job of damping the feedback. Better struts or shocks might fix the problem.