Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-5 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    skim71skim71 Member Posts: 2
    "I am just off a 3 year lease of a 99' 9-5, and what a great feeling I can say. It was the most troublesome vehicle I have had in my record. I had 1 Accord and 4 Acuras. The total visits to the dealers of all the Japanese cars I owned is less than the visits of the 9-5."

Yes, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. A '99 should not have given you so many problems. It could be that you were just unlucky. However, knowing that so many Saab owners have had serious reliability issues over the years, I have to proceed with caution. It's difficult for me because I've wanted to get the 9-5 ever since it came out in '99. Why can't these cars be more reliable? They're certainly not cheap.

I'm not terribly convinced by the J.D. Power review because that had to do with initial quality. It seems like most of the Saab owners who are enthusiastic about their cars haven't owned their cars for more than a few years. Has anyone here owned their current Saab for more than 5 years without any serious reliability issues?

On a positive note, Consumer Reports just gave a "Recommended" review to the 2002 9-5.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    John - I can't remember the name - going to have to find out and get back to you. I know it's in Portsmouth N.H.

Ken
  • Options
    chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I leased a 01 9-5 SE Wagon for my wife. I can honestly say that a Saab was not my first choice because of past quality problems. I did get a chance to see one during an Auto Show and was impressed enough to consider it for our next family car. I paid a visit to the local dealer and they offered me good lease deal, $300/month for 3 yrs with 2k down. There was one minor problem with the car. A small area on the clear coat had a bubble. The dealer sent someone to my house to pick-up the car, drop a loaner and by the next day I had my car back (washed & vacuumed). Otherwise the car has been flawless. Will it be as reliable as a Honda or Toyota, hard to say? But so far so good and the service have been exceptional.

Chris
  • Options
    How many miles do you get with your lease?
    What's the penalty rate for excess miles?

Ken
  • Options
    chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I'm allowed 12k/yr. I do not remember the rate for excess miles. My wife only drives 8-9k miles/yr so we should be well under the cap.

Chris
  • Options
    sounds like a super deal on a car I'd love to be in!! Best wishes.

Ken
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Silvers can bring some loot... About a $500 premium.

Oddly enough, Scarab Green works well on these...(Dark Metallic Greens are usually crap colors on Luxury cars)

What am I paying..

$14,500ish for nice Bases.. into the $15Ks for SEs.. Not too much more for V6s.

Thats with 45K miles.

But it ALL Depends on the miles and condition. You see a lot of miley 95s.

Bill
  • Options
    smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    I have about 4 months left on a 99 9-5. One service call, besides routine maint. Great car.
    Silver SE 27K, don't think Saab financial will sell it to me less than 22K? Drove a 2002 9-5 Aero Auto, really do not notice much of a difference, surely not a 10-15K difference over my car? Probably go with a new Infiniti G35. New engineering, lets face it, the 9-5 is going on four years old. The G35 has awesome power, nice looks, fit, and finish. Probably leases out around the same price as the 9-5. Maybe the new 9-3 would be an option, if they can start showing us something before this fall?
  • Options
    mvcjonesmvcjones Member Posts: 14
    I live in Los Angeles and have the following offer on the table.

2002 9-5 Arc with silver metallic paint, List at $41,000
    36 month lease
    12k/year
    Turn in my leased 1999 9-3 SE which is a $3,000 loss based on buy out vs. market
    value
    Dealer will take care of my remaining 9-3 SE payments, amounting to about $3,250
    $1,495 down
    $498/month taxes included.

Any advice on whether this is a good deal?

Thanks in advance

MVC Jones
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Sounds good overall. The biggie that I see is the ability to walk away from $3250 in remaining 9-3 payments. Over 36 months that is about $90/month. Back that out of the 9-5 deal and you're at a net payment of $408/month - excellent for a 9-5 lease.
  • Options
    rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    1999 was first yr for 9-5 here in US. some problems were reported for this model year, but reliability has improved tremendously. it's recommended by consumer reports!

also, i've owned my 2001 9-5 wagon for 1 year, 11.4K miles. outside of a sticking brake caliper, the car has been trouble free. it won't compare to the Japanese cars from a reliability POV but it's as reliable as any other european car.

Japanese cars are reliable, but the acuras and lexus cars I drove were boring, did not handle nearly as well as the Saab.

i've also have a 1999 9-3 with 34K miles, has some persistent creaks/rattles but runs extremely well.

I'll stick with my Saabs!
  • Options
    darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    Saab recently advertised a $409 lease deal on the 9-5 with a rational residual under$16,000. My lease, 99 2.3t, expires in July with extra miles payment, but ludicrous residual - $21,500. Chase is already calling to find out what I am going to do. One problem with the car - replaced ECU. Otherwise, no problems. BTW, if you haven't done the radio start volume switch, you are missing out big time - I've passed the tip on to three friends, each of whom now has a big smile. Sorry for the random thoughts.
  • Options
    How many miles?

$21K+?? HAHAHAHAHA!

Offer em $15K if its in the 30s...

Bill
  • Options
    jkkooikerjkkooiker Member Posts: 2
    I too am leasing a 9-5 2.3t with Chase and a crazy residual. I believe it is about $18,500 and the lease isn't up until the end of this year. Does anyone know if the powers at Chase would be willing to make a deal on the car 9 months before the term is up? This is my first leased vehicle and I am not sure of the protocol. I wonder if they would make an early offer since I will surely be handing it over...
  • Options
    dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Chase typically has Residual Insurance on their leased vehicles. The insurance pays the difference between what they get for the car and what amount they insured for. Therefore, finding a deal before the end of the lease term is unlikely.

They will however, sell you the car closer to the end of the lease for the insured amount less any payments outstanding. Just make sure to ask them what amount they are insured for because they will qoute you a price above that hoping you'll take it. They also will sell directly to anyone you know who is interested in the car. You can have them put on a list and have them call Chase directly. This saves you the $250 turn in fee.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • Options
    Actually, $18,500 doesn't sound crazy to me for a '99 9-5SE. My '99 has 35K on the odot and Chase has it insured for $18,950 before the last payment comes due next week.

There is a '99SE in our local paper today for $21,000 at a non Saab dealer lot and my dealer claims he gets over $20K for them as well.

Drew
  • Options
    jonnyjjonnyj Member Posts: 15
    I drove the Aero today. Great car. But I'm puzzled as to why a company that makes such a big deal about safety can't put rear airbags or curtains in its cars. My kids are back there a lot, and I feel this is something I should have.

I don't buy the line that the airbag deployment might be unsafe for kids. That may be true for toddlers, but what about old kids?
  • Options
    >>I don't buy the line that the airbag deployment might be unsafe for kids. That may be true for toddlers, but what about old kids? <<

How old? I have a 5 and 7 year old. Side air bags for them in the back might not be the best idea. Ever try to keep a 7 year old from resting her head on the door panel and falling asleep? In a mild collison that Air Bag Deployment might not be the best thing. In a sever accident... well lets not even think about it.. with or without air bags. The fact is, the dangers of them for kids are well reported and rear bags are still a bit of a controversy because they do rest against the door panels often. You admitted it may be true for toddlers but question about older kids... should they not put them there because YOU don't have toddlers? I do have toddlers.

Rear Bags have never been a big deal for me and at this point I prefer not to have them. I honestly don't think their Value has been Proven to be all that great anyway ....unless your talking about Marketing.

Drew
  • Options
    jonnyjjonnyj Member Posts: 15
    Easy, dski!

I understand the concerns about airbags, but maybe they could be an OPTION, or they could be disabled.

Also, I'm referring to the window curtains more than a bag in the door.
  • Options
    9sunset9sunset Member Posts: 23
    Just pick-up this new car yesterday afternoon, very nice driving. The ride is well balance, easily go over speed limit without noticing. Everything seem to be working the way it should. As it only had 120 km (75 miles) so far; I am only doing city driving with modulating throttle to see if the car will adapt to my driving habit; and it seem to respond well.
    However I have a question on the Climate Control as
    follow:
    1. I always left the Climate control on when I turn off my car; 2. Climate control does not automatically turn on every time when I start the car; it shows "Off" on
    display;
    3. At Auto mode it will direct air to Floor and Windshield, most of the time; is it normal?
    May be I should check the Manual again to see if it will explain on this matter.
    Anyway, any inputs are welcome. I will need alot of advise from all you experience Saab owners,
    thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jracinejracine Member Posts: 28
    Hi! Good luck with you new car.

Climate Control is indeed supposed to be "On" when you start the car. It might be a "Feature" described in the manual, but this is NOT normal behaviour and I am surprised your dealer let the car go as is...

Also, the way you describe the air flow doesn't sound like its normal either. Make sure the vents are 'open' (the vertical dials with a white mark on them beside each air exit.)

Also, I am just about to upgrade my 1999 9-5 2.3 Wagon for either the updated Linear or (most likely) Aero. Would you mind sharing with me the details? Options, price, etc. There are not that many Canadians in this section...

Thanks.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input; I gone through the manual again this afternoon; they have not mention anywhere
    regarding the ACC system have to be manually turn on
    everytime you start the car. I will have to take my car to the dealer for them to reprogram.
    I leased this car based on $45000 CDN with 5-sp auto, premium package; center head rest; price including PDI and freight and gas tax. Term is for 36 months; Zero down (Approx. $1900 up front which include first month payment, $700 security deposit and other misc.
    items); lease rate at 0.9%; residual is 48% of MSRP, allowable mileage is 60000 km
    Lease payment approx. $650 per month; hope it help.
  • Options
    So far this car is approaching 200 km (125 miles), very nice; however I don't think the dealership did a very good job on PDI, correct me if I am wrong.
    1. The key hole on the driver door has not been unplug; I discover this when I try using the key to open the door this afternoon.
    2. Pessanger door has a squeaking noise; none of the hinges were lubricated (are they supposed to?).
    3. Driver door must have hit something while somebody must have try opening the door because some paint has already came off. The sales managerapologized and said they can be fixed; but so what?
    4. Wonder if they have any form or record to fill out when they do PDI or to prove they have done the PDI properly?
    Can anybody share their thought or experience?
  • Options
    You probably already got an answer to the situation but..

I beleive the ACC is not faulty rather it has not been programmed to your preference. I think it is intended to be programmed to your choice... most people want it to activate when you start the car.. some people may not.. your choice. The dealer should have asked you about it before delivery. When we go ours, the dealer went through all the custom program choices and set everything the way we wanted.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • Options
    Drew, thanks for your input.
    I just check the ACC and read about the ACC last night. There are two AUTO settings; one with "AUTO"
    and "temperature setting eg. 20 degree C" ; press Auto button again will display "AUTO", the fan speed and auto selected air flow outlet Floor and Wind Shield (as I mentioned on my previous posting it is on the setting most of the time) and temperature setting etc. Wonder what is going on! I don't think the manual mention anything of this sort nor the dealer .
    Can anybody help?
  • Options
    Well now I'm much more confused about your situation. I thought you were simply saying that the ACC is always in the OFF Setting when you start the vehicle rather than coming on. Our '99 is programmed to turn on during start up.

I test drove a 2002 Wagon yesterday.. I noticed that the ACC did NOT turn on during start up.

The "Auto" button changes what icons are displayed on the LED read out. It works like a Toggle. If you want all the fan and air flow direction icons displayed you can toggle them on or off with the "Auto" button. Also it is used to turn on the Air Compressor (air conditioning) but only if the system is in the ECON mode. If AC is already on it only toggles the icons as I described above. In otherwords, if your in Econ mode which is Fan Only, you use Auto to turn on the AC and vice verse. I use Econ mode alot in the winter since you don't really need the AC air compressor on for Heat.

Is this just confusing things more? We may be talking about different things if yours is malfunctioning.

Hope this helps
    Drew
  • Options
    Drew, thanks for your input.
    I think my car is doing exactly what you described
    on your posting. However, I would probably like to have the ACC system automatically turn-on when I start my car; is this something programmable by the dealer?
    I took the car on highway yesterday but kept the speed below 120 km/hr (75 mph) and less than 3000 rpm; is it OK? When should I get it up to 80 to 100 mph range? Is engine break-in necessary?
    One thing I found is that this car is very stable and quite at highway speed, the engine noise and
    power does not sound like a 4 cyliner engine; it is more like a 6 cylinder.
    Image the AERO!!
  • Options
    Yes, I believe the dealer can program this how you want it. I'm 99% sure that's what we did in our '99 model. You'll be surprised how many things can be programed and customized to your preferrences. For example, you can program the Radio to always come on at a preset volume. If the previous driver had the volume very loud, it will always return to a lower setting on start up if you set it that way.

You question about break in: I'd probably keep it under 70mph for the first 1000 miles or so. One thing for sure is that you don't want to steadily cruise at one speed for long periods during break in. Best to vary your speed a little. I think they make mention of this in the manual.

Congrats on your purchase.. Looks like we're going ahead and replacing our sedan with a 2002 Wagon. I'm trying to decide on the Premium Pkg or just going with all standard equipment. I was amazed at how much improved the ride and handling was for the 2002 models. Big Difference in an already fine driving car. I totally agree with you one the Saab I4 engine... that power plant is GREAT! I see no reason for the 6 although the Aero would be fun.

Drew
  • Options
    Thank you for your advise, Drew.
    I mistakenly wrote "image" when it should be "imagine" on my previous posting!!
    Just filled up the gas tank, not bad mpg; with a bit of highway driving I get approximately
    12 liter/km (somebody have to convert it to mpg).
  • Options
    I found there are a number of owner-adjustable settings for the ACC including specific settings the ACC will default to every time you start the car. For example, if you want the ACC to blow thru the floor vents at 72 degrees when you start the car, you can program the ACC to do just that. I reset my ACC default settings 2-3 times per year depending on the weather. Now that it's getting warmer here in the South, I'll program my ACC to start the A/C blowing thru the dash vents at start up.

There are additional customizable settings that can be done by a dealer. It's called a "tech 2" service and the dealer will likely charge you for it. Read your owners manual carefully for various settings. My manual has some of this info on the last few pages.
  • Options
    My dealer has never charged me for programing. Hmm..

Well actually, they went over how we wanted everything set when they delivered it to us. I did have one done.. The auto lock when you start to drive forward.. they didnt charge and my Wife Hates the feature. I told her to bad... it's a good car jacking safe guard. :)

Drew
  • Options
    Hi folks, I think I will sit on all existing settings for a while before customizing it.
    Thank you for all your inputs.

KHS
  • Options
    tonymarfiltonymarfil Member Posts: 2
    I'm in New Jersey and will be leasing a new 9-5 Linear this Saturday. I'm looking for:
    black w/ gray interior
    premimum package
    automatic transmission

Has someone recently leased a similiarly equipped car and what did their payments come out to? What is the best I can do?

I was quoted $3100 down (includes taxes, and all fees including DMV fees, only thing missing was the security deposit which I may not have to leave) and $401/month tax included. Tax in NJ is 6%. Is this fair?

Also, is their an economical or 'best' way of upgrading the wheels and tires to 17" on a lease?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    mackman1mackman1 Member Posts: 6
    In reply to your question, I've received quotes from a few NJ Saab dealers for '02 9-5 linear w/ auto. & metallic paint (no premium package)at a cap cost of $30,000 which is $300 below invoice.

What dealer quoted you $401/mo. all in?
    You can e-mail me and i can give you more details about which dealers have the car u r looking for and at what price.

My e-mail is mack835@aol.com

Thanks
    Mack
  • Options
    How many months and how many miles. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I signed a deal on a linear with Premium Pkg but a Wagon in Steel Grey. Term is 3 years and 15,000 miles per year instead of 12,000. After all is said and done the payment is $450. Money down is similar to yours. I'm putting a little more down to budget the monthly number lower. My tax is 6% here as well I believe.

$401 sounds Low to me.. our '99 was $422 and that car had a lower selling price than the new ones. But that was only $1000 down.

Congrats.. ur gonna like that car
    Drew
  • Options
    Your best bet will probably be to get the optional 17" BBS wheels and tires. If they are still $1650 then that's a great deal. The bestthing about that option is that it is capitalized along with the rest of the car. Normally you'll have to pay 100% of the price of the wheels/tires but if they come as an option, then you pay for them as part of the lease (like any other option).

In hindsight I wish I would've got the 2 piece 17" wheels when I leased my car. In the aftermarket those wheels cost almost $500 each, plus close to $200 each for tires.
  • Options
    Ahrrr...

Just spent 1 hour + on google trying to find manufacturers of exterior styling and accessories (ex: mesh grills...etc)... but to no avail.

Any Ideas...

BTW, I tested a 9-5 2002 Aero all day... Will in my parking next week. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!
  • Options
    http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_SAA/doc_saa0204091/article.html

Go to the above link to Hirsh..

They are now an official Saab supplier for some of the stuff your looking for in Europe now.. Not sure if they sell to the states or not.

I noticed that they do have a Mesh Grill listed there.

Good Luck

Drew

• Options
    gbadintergbadinter Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

Firstly, I would like to say that I love my Saab.
    and I am new here and I have two question. My front right fog light has a broken cover - can I just replace the cover or I have to replace the entire light?

Also, what is a good place to buy these parts (obviously not the dealer)?

Thanks lots.

George
  • Options
    gbadintergbadinter Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

Firstly, I would like to say that I love my Saab.
    and I am new here and I have two question. My front right fog light has a broken cover - can I just replace the cover or I have to replace the entire light?

Also, what is a good place to buy these parts (obviously not the dealer)?

Thanks lots.

George
  • Options
    Try...

http://www.english-swedish.com

Or...

Search google for "Gold Wing SAAB parts" also there was a place called Trolhattan Motors that was supposed to have some great pricing...

Bill

• Options
    carman35carman35 Member Posts: 5
    i am getting a lease quote for 412$/month taxes included,with 2500$ down.This car also has xenon headlights.its black with grey interior.
    i have to sign the papers tomorrow so please would any one know if this is a good deal.
    by the way its a balloon retail purchase configured like a lease.
    please advise.
  • Options
    Well I had a hard time believing how good the lease deal you qouted was... $412 for a 3.0 with only $2500 cap reduction...and the Touring Pkg option to boot. That deal would have been unheard of.

You clarification of the Ballon Payment and not a lease but purchase cleared my confusion up though. I have no idea if your deal is a good one or not.. What is the amount of the Final Balloon Payment. I'd add up the total cost of the monthly payments and Final payment to see what the Whole Cost would be and try to determine from there. You could compare that with what your costs would be going traditional financing or lease. Also you need to account for What you can do now with the money you don't have to spend up front. If you have the Cash now and think you can make some nice growth on it in investments.. the deal might be very good. You may have the cash and more by the time that Balloon Payment is due.. or you could be looking at Refinancing for it.. which is a BAD deal for sure.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • Options
    Does that $412 pymt include tax?
    What other charges are you paying for out of pocket vs. being included into the deal?

IIRC, for every $1000 down your pymt drops like $20-24 per month.

$412 doesn't sound too bad if all that comes out of your pocket is the $2500 and tax is included.
  • Options
    carman35carman35 Member Posts: 5
    its 412$in tax and 2500 down with 19000$ residual .
  • Options
    Well... today was the big day. I picked up my new 2002 Aero Steel Grey + Drivers Package.

I will write a more detailed report in a few days. In the mean time I would be happy to anwer any questions from those who are considering acquiring this gem of a car.
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    What other cars did you look at before deciding on Aero and why it versus Arc? I've got company leasing folks looking for an A6 as I liked the interior better for me but still have interest in 9-5 if pricing doesn't work out on A6.
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    do tell...I want to buy one used in a a year or two.
  • Options
    I have two words for you:

(1) Buh

(2) Bye

Read it and weep, baby:

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/pdfs/ai_e.pdf

Winner of the Saab Trivia contest and post #1000, I remain........

• Options
    ckmiecckmiec Member Posts: 7
    Hi everybody,

I have very unexpectedly joined the ranks of Saab owners :) I've been driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past two years, and I had nothing but trouble with it. I finally decided to get rid of it, and was set on buying something with good reputation. In the past month I test-drove everything from a Nissan Maxima to an Isuzu Trooper, but just couldn't find something that I liked. I finally purchased a '01 Trooper from a place with a 5-day exchange policy. Well, two days after the purchase I was back... and they just got a trade-in - the '99 9-5. Needless to say I got it, and have been happy since :)

It did not come with an owner's manual, so I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. I'll be going to my local Saab dealer to order the manual, but this will take a few weeks:

1. Last night I was playing with the high-beams. When I first turned them on, a blue high beam control light came on. After about 3 seconds a green dot lit up inside the blue control light. At the same time I got a message "Front light failure". I checked all from lights, and they all seem to work OK. Can someone tell me what all of this could mean?

2. My Climate Control is always OFF when I turn the car on. Is there a setting where I could make it turn itself on with the ignition key? My Jeep's climate control would wait until the engine was warmed up and then the fan would kick on. Any way to emulate this behavior?

3. What does the light switch do? It doesn't seem to have any effect in either of the three positions. Can I re-program that as well? I don't mind the daytime running lights, but I would like to have the dashlights off during the day.

4. Are there any additives required by Saab to be added to the engine and transmission oils? I'll be putting a synthetic oil, and would like to know if there is something else to add.

5. How often should I change the pollen and charcoal filters? And are they easy to change?

Thanks for the help!