Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• lexbarbaralexbarbara Member Posts: 2
    The cars come off the boat without the piece that fits in the middle of the front bumper. The dealer then installs its nameplate. If you ask tell your dealer that you don't want the plate, he should give you a strip without the plate. I bought my car at Lauderdale Imports in Fort Lauderdale. They forgot to leave off the plate and installed it anyway. After I brought it to his attention, my salesman installed the strip free and even gave me the old piece in case I wanted to put my own front plate on the car someday.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I am loving the new car. The 330i is so much fun to drive. I find excuses just to go out at night. The lights in the car and xenons are great.

If you are going to buy a car----get the 330i
  • reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    This is a regularly reported problem. The switch simply doesn't work--on my car when I try to retract the roof. The solution is easy. I use the switch to tilt the roof, then close it. That seems to reset something and then the switch works--for a while. I brought it up with the dealer who checked it and said nothing was wrong. They did reprogram it, but the same thing keeps happening. It's no big deal but I do wonder why BMW can't get this fairly simple device to work correctly. I wouldn't let this sway you either way. If you want the sunroof, get it, if not, don't.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Works like this:

Let's say your owner's choice 'purchase' is for three years. BMW decides what the car will be worth in three years and declares they they buy it back then for that price, assuming good condition and correct mileage, etc. Then the BMW financial arm gives you a baloon loan such that in three years the loan balance will be exactly equal to what BMW wants to buy the car back for. So, in three years BMW buys back the car for the previously agreed-to price, which pays off the loan and you are payment-free, if carless.

I noticed that leases often ended up costing more. The advantage to a lease is that there is gap insurance: if the car is totaled and you owe mroe than the car's current value you are still OK in the lease, it's covered, but you may owe money in owner's choice. Still, when i was looking, i saw owners choice often being cheaper by $50 a month, which will buy a lot of private GAP insurance. Credit unions sell this, for example. $50 a month will get you a substantially snappier car, too.

dave
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    You're probably aware that the M3 looks to be delayed until early 2001 - most dealers have one-year or more waiting lists.

If I were looking at this list of cars, and thought I'd could use the level of performance of cars like the M3, I'd get the S4. I've driven it and IMHO, represents a great value. It is also available now.

Other cars like the Acura, Lexus, etc. are in another league - much more luxurious and much less "sharp".

- Mark
  • firstbmwfirstbmw Member Posts: 10
    i am trying to decide whether or not to order the sport package on my 330ci and seat comfort is my main concern ( more important than being held in place during hard cornering). i would appreciate any comments from current bmw owners. i have driven the 330i (no coupes are available) with both types of seats and i cant tell about long-term comfort from short test drives. any comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    firstbmw
  • dparis1dparis1 Member Posts: 45
    I have the sports package on a 330i. The seats are very comfortable. There is an extension for your legs that comes out and adds to the comfort. This is only available on the sports package.
    3 way lumbar support also comes with the seats.
    The sports seats, wheels(very hot) and 3 spoke steering wheel make for an easy answer. You would only be sorry that you didn't get it. GO FOR IT!
  • qgarqgar Member Posts: 3
    I second that on the sports seats. The leg extension is especially great for tall people (like me) who can't usually rest their thighs on the seat edge.

Now for the stereo: is the Harman-Kardon system as bad as other posters have said?
  • reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    Sport seats are extremely comfortable. This summer, I drove from Miami to Pennsylvania and back through Atlanta. On this long drive, the seats were more comfortable than anything I've ever sat in. The additional thigh support is great.
  • dparis1dparis1 Member Posts: 45
    To me sound is everything. Watching movies at home or in a theater. After spending $40,000+ for a car, I didn't want to second guess myself. For another $475 I went for the upgrade. There is a sound difference. To each his or hers own. I think it was worth it. The biggest reason being not to mess with the stock radio with outside materials. It adds two more speakers and upgrades the rest. If sound is important than get it.
    thanks for the comments. i agree the sports seats look the best and the m wheels are great looking. i have also been told that the sport seats are better built ( not sure if this is a fact or just an opinion ) but it sounds like everyone who has them really likes them a lot. if i go with the sports package i will also have to order tires and rims for winter driving ( i live in ohio ) this will add about another $1,100 or so to the cars expense. hopefully i will get a chance to drive a coupe with sport seats ( my dealer only has sedans in stock) before i have to order in december. this is a tough choice, i have seen the standard wheels and i like them ( though not as much as the m wheels) but the z-rated tires wear out faster and are more expensive to replace and,as i mentioned,i would need to buy winter tires and rims. also the sport suspension is already standard on the coupe so handling would not be much different with the sport package as without. whew! oh well whichever way i go im sure i will love the 330ci! even the sedan without sports package handles extremely well and is powerful. thanks to all for your comments, they are much appreciated.
    firstbmw
  • larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    My moonroof does the same thing but I don't think it's the switch. The only time I have the problem is when I haven't moved the roof in a while. I think the roof panel is moving just enough that the position sensors think it is positioned slightly into the vent position instead of being in the closed position.

If that's all true, then the problem is either in the position sensing mechanism or in some slightly loseness that allows the roof to move, possibly both.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Your lease will probably stipulate a certain amount of tread on the tires when you turn the car in. After 36k miles, you will most likely have to replace the tires.
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    If you get the sport package, it'll come with Z-rated tires that only last 15-20k miles. Youd probably have to replace them twice.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    on my sport i have the 225/50/zr 16 , er30 bridgestones, i have 14k miles ,so far, id say maybe a life of 20-23k it appears, i contacted discount tire on a replacement cost just to see. but have had no response yet, treadwear is 14o so these are SOFT tires,

i agree with the sport seats that the thigh extention is great, however note that the side bolsters are large, if u, are someone happens to be large, it might make it a little more difficult entering and exiting the vehicle, ..just a thought to consider ....i would drive both cars to be certain , good luck
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    for all the responses! I'm 6-3 and 160 lbs, so the side bolsters are great for me, but I just don't think it's worth all the extra money (cost of option plus tire replacement costs) just to get the extra thigh support and a better looking steering wheel. Plus, I like the slightly softer ride of the non-sport suspension (I know, I know, so shoot me). I live in a rural area where the roads are maintained by the County. At least they're SUPPOSED to be maintained by the County, if you get my drift. Once again, thanks for the help.
  • ddm3ddm3 Member Posts: 5
    Just to play devil's advocate here and offer the flip side of the coin, let me offer my 2 cents.

While I wholeheartedly agree that the sports seats look much nicer than the regular, I also feel that the leather will wear out faster from all the extra rubbing against the bolsters while entering and exiting the car (I've heard people complaining about premature wearing of the leather on their E46's and they don't understand it; and they just happen to have the sport pkg). I am a very small driver (5'1", 105lbs.) and when the seat is adjusted far enough forward for me to be in a comfortable driving position I feel a bit restricted on the sides due to the extra bolstering (though there is obviously plenty of room for my body in the seats). I made this test several times at the dealer by sitting in both types of seats back to back. So far I've only heard of them being restrictive for larger drivers but when you're closer to the wheel it can be uncomfortable as well. I realize they hold you in better during hard cornering but realistically, I don't do enough of that type of driving to appreciate it. The added thigh support obviously isn't useful for me. It may only be a small thing but to me it was noticeable and helped me make my decision. Both seats were very comfortable though.

I also don't like the idea of getting so little life out of my tires, not to mention the extra cost for replacement. Again, I completely agree that the M double spoke wheels are the sharpest but the standard ones aren't bad either, IMO (I've seen a lot worse).

Also, I'm going for the convertible so the cost for the sports package is considerably more ($1200) and not worth it for me. The bottom line is it's all about personal preference (but it's good to look at things from all angles). Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you choose!
  • bibi1bibi1 Member Posts: 6
    My friend ordered a 2001 BMW 325i sedan. The car
    just came in after 3 weeks and it has a dent on the roof. The dealer has to repair and repaint the
    roof. Can anybody tell what might be a fair
    discount offer? The dent was caused by a hook
    banging on it. It is the size of a quarter. We paid 1650.00 over the invoice for the car. My friend is considering waiting again for another car. Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
    again i want to thank all of you for your comments and insites. i agree that i will have to make the choice based on my personal preferences and my personal situation ( such as snow tires) i can relate to the comments from ddm3. i am 5'6" and i agree that when i moved the seat up in the standard shift car i felt cramped with the sport seats, i couldnt put my finger on exactly why until your comment, thank you so much. i am going back to the dealership friday to try both seats again (sedans, still no coupes available). right now i feel that if the standard seats feel comfortable i will go with them to avoid the hassle of buying additional tires and rims, paying for changeovers every year, storage of the un-used tires etc. it is amazing to me how the little things can seem to be such hard decisions when buying any car! btw right now i think i want a 330ci, titanium, cd, xenons, (sports package is still up in the air). does anyone have any thoughts about the extended warranty?? is it worth it if i plan to keep the car for 8 years? (i just never stop asking for help i guess!) thanks again to all.
    firstbmw
  • prelude1997prelude1997 Member Posts: 26
    I'm trying to decide between 325i and 325xi. Can anyone in the DC area tell me what a good price would be for these two. is the xi pretty much MSRP? would 1500 over invoice for 325i be fair? TIA.
  • goody4goody4 Member Posts: 55
    I would not buy a new--damaged--car at any price. Who knows what the quality of the repair will be in a month...a year...or worse, after the warranty. In a haste to get the car out-the-door, the dealer may do sub-standard work. Reordering seems best.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Press and hold the WB (weather band)button at the same time as you switch the Audio System on.

Use the <<Seek>> button to select the desired function. Start Volume, Telephone volume, Speed Dependent Volume, and Loudness ON/OFF, etc.

There are two systems the Premium and the Prestige. Prestige is in the SE model. Premium has seven speakers and rated at 150 watts. The Prestige has nine (including two subwoofers in the rear window shelf) and is rated at 200 watts.

With a few adjustments, you should have good sound with either system. This is not a low end system in either model. Don't bother hooking trying to hardwire your cell phone, I tried numerous times, the technology is moving to fast (your local cell phone company) and you will not be able to take care of the features that Saab offers. Wiring connectors, cell phone features, etc, just don't match up. Its a shame for my 92 9000 (though the phone was a brick) used to turn down the stereo automatically with an incoming call, and you will just talk over the built in mic and speaker in the rearview mirror and dash.
    Oh well.
  • martin13martin13 Member Posts: 21
    Manual transmission, minimal options (CC).
    Finally got it after ordering it in August.
    After a day of driving throughout country roads here in Germany, I'm very happy with my decision.

To say least, I became skeptical after reading posts about light steering and a difficult to use manual transmission.

The steering is just fine. Very similar to a 318i that I have driven. Same goes for the manual transmission.

Stock CD player and FM sounds great.

Just a great deal so far. Only concern now is reliability and quality issues that should be answered in the months/years to come.

Thanks to all those that contributed to me making my decision (Larry In TN, others).
    i posted on the other board, but to summarize, yes the 2000 coupes have the head protection system and dsc, but the dsc does not have traction control as the 2001's do. 16" tires standard on 2000 while 330 gets 17" but 17" are avail. as an option in 2000. hope this helps
    firstbmw
    Anybody got any hard data on what this so-called "light steering" problem is on the new 330's (and possibly 325's). There have been rumors floating around on the bmw boards for awhile, but I haven't seen anything that actually explained what BMW did (if anything).

- Mark
    $1300 over invoice is a great price even with the $240 ad fee.

The ad fee is charged only in very large markets which Pitt should qualify for. You can go out of the Pitt area to avoid the fee but you might not get $1300 over invoice and it's a lot of hassle to save only $240.
  • loireloire Member Posts: 7
    I just got my 330CI 2 days ago, i will surely take care this beautifull car my best, anyway i got a question, is it good if we turn off the engine when the automatic climate control still "on" (i'm using "auto" mode) or should we shut off the automatic climate control first?
  • bunky3bunky3 Member Posts: 8
    After shutting down, my cars oil capacity indicator glowed yellow. Took it to the dealer to have them check it out,and, they gave me a can of wheel cleaner.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/ricklmartin

go to bimmer pics for a few Germany Cruising pics after taking delivery here in Germany less than a week ago. I really enjoy the white.

The steering has be just great (tight feeling, in my opinion),and the manual transmission has been just perfect.

Oh yeah, LOIRE - check out www.bimmer.org for your climate control question.
  • duwahduwah Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered (sight unseen) a white 325i sedan, so thanks for the pics. I'm curious though, whenever I have mentioned that I am in the process of purchasing a BMW, the usual response is that I will be sorry because of the high cost of service and maintenance. Can anyone give me some feedback ?
  • chilidchilid Member Posts: 3
    Earlier, someone stated that the profit margins are less with euro delivery. Why is this, I have seen the MSRP and invoice pricing for both US and Euro and they are nearly identical, the major difference being $2000 less for the base car in Europe. The "benchmark" great deal on a 325 is 1500 over invoice, I got this on a Euro buy so this doesn't jibe with claim of less profit margin with this program.

By the way, I had one dealer that was 300 miles away from my market tell me that BMW won't allow them to discount with Euro and a local dealer did claim the margin was less and they were essentially paid a flat fee by BMW. So who is right?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The individuals who talk about the high cost of upkeep for a BMW are usually passing on third or fourth hand rumors. First off, your car will receive free service for 3 years/36,000 miles. If the dealer's service costs are too high after that period, seek out an experienced independent BMW garage. As an example, the local independent BMW shop recently performed the Inspection I service and replaced the front pads on my 1995 3er. Total cost? $155- using BMW Synthetic Oil, a BMW filter, and Metal Master pads(plus my BMW Car Club discount). Dealer cost would have been @ twice that amount. Finally, in over 58,000 miles of street and track driving my only non-scheduled repairs have been a bad alarm module and an erratic fuel level sender, both replaced under warranty. In my experience, most so-called "experts" haven't even sat in a BMW, much less driven or owned one.
    My experience is that maintenance costs are directly proportional to the original cost of the vehicle - more expensive vehicles have more expensive systems to break down and generally fewer vehicles to spread the parts costs and mechanics learning curve.

So, yes, a BMW will cost more to maintain than an Accord. But I don't think a $35K BMW costs any more to maintain than a $35K Lexus, MB, Volvo, or Saab however.

Maintenance costs are virtually neglible until the car gets out of warranty anyway. For the first 3-5 years of ownership, depreciation outweighs everything else.

- Mark
  • rcdejesusrcdejesus Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me what the difference is between the E21 E30 E36 E46? I was going through www.bimmer.org and I couldn't tell which of these 3 series categories applied to me. To what are these numbers referring to?
  • rcdejesusrcdejesus Member Posts: 2
    After reading the last few posts regarding problems encountered while the car is being shipped, I'd like to ask those of you out there what some of my options are if I discovered some "damage" on the vehicle while picking it up at the port?

Also, for those of you who have dealt with Pentagon Car Sales, can anyone here share some positive (or negative) experiences in dealing with those folks?
    is it even worth it after the covered warranty period ( 36,000 miles). with most of the cars ive owned the scheduled maintenance (12k or 15k miles) consists of inspecting, like inspect brakes, inspect hoses and belts, inspect tires or check fluids. is this what bmw does? if so do u think it is worth the $375 for inspection I or the $550 for inspection II? any comments from experienced owners would be appreciated. btw has anyone else had good experiences taking their bmw to a qualified mechanic after the warranty period like duwah? would i be just as well off to keep the fluids and filters changed on my 330ci ( when i get it)and not even bother with the inspections?? any other thoughts on the subject??
    firstbmw
  • cujo_njcujo_nj Member Posts: 1
    I am about to order my 330 sedan but just found out that there is only one option on rims. Call me crazy but I actually like the 325 standard rims more than the 330's. Was wondering if anybody would be interested in swaping rims or if anyone could suggest a place to trade these for others.

Reply to cujo_nj@yahoo.com with info.

Regards,
    Joe
    The inspections are spelled out in the maintance manual that comes with the car. Lots of checking and replacing.

If you don't decide to do all the instpections it will effect your resale value. People who know BMWs will expect a maintanance records showing that the recommended service has been done.
    think one more time about 330's 17" VS 325's 16"
    and 330's premium wheels VS 325's alloy wheels, =), instead of swapping tires, maybe you could go with the sport package (M wheels) it will looks nice in your BMW, =)
    ps:i don't really like 330i standard wheels too, that's why i bought 330Ci, i think it's a little bit sportier, =)
    Thanks so much for your post. Very nice to see that a new BMW can go without so many of the problems that we see listed on these sites.

I live in Germany and see so many dark colored/ silver vehicles over here. Germans dress the same way ....dark colors. Must be a cultural thing.

And your right about congestion on the autobahns.

Thanks again for your post-
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Be careful... 16" wheels will not fit on the 330's. The brake disks are too large.
    i have also read that the 16" wheels will not fit the 330ci
    brought home (MD) our black/sand 325i from DE last night. she's a beauty. very impressed with the paint quality. Got it from Union Park BMW for 1600 over invoice. I got an offer of 1300 over from a dealer in Pittsburgh but I'd have to wait until Dec to take delivery. I called around and just so happens Union Park had the car with all the options I wanted except Xenon.
    The people there were very polite and friendly. We were actually greeted! (no such luck with the dealers in MD, Tischer/VOB) We worked out the deal over the phone and got done with the paperwork in about 5 minutes. I highly recommend them.

The wife's got the car today and she said she hasn't been able to work all morning. thinking about her car and telling all her co-workers about it.
  • firstbmw1firstbmw1 Member Posts: 3
    ready to buy our first BMW...330xi. Got an offer for 1800 over invoice from Tischer. Besides Union Park (too far for us) did you happen to find any other dealers in the DC/VA/MD area that can beat this?
    Charmaine, Russel BMW in Columbia offered 1750 over invoice, VOB offered 1650 over THEIR invoice which was several hundred more than the true invoice. But keep in mind we were shopping for a 325i, the x's are a little harder to negotiate. You really have to get further out of the city to get better deals. I used the Razzio(spell?) method: faxing all of the dealers I was willing to drive to with my offer. None of the N VA, and only Russel in MD ever even called back. My wife's so disgusted with the treatment we got at Tischer that she wouldn't buy from them even if they offered a better price. good luck.
  • jimmalojimmalo Member Posts: 5
    Charmaine...How is yor car equipped? I was quoted $500 below STICKER for a 325xi with auto, premium package, cold weather package, Homelink.
  • firstbmw1firstbmw1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice Ming, we will keep it in mind.

Jim, we are getting similar packages..automatic, premium, cold weather, and sport package, what is Homelink? But I did notice that when we were thinking of getting the 325xi that all dealers were less likely to negotiate. Fairfax BMW wouldn't even go any below the sticker. It all has to do with how many slots they have on the boat and how much they can get off their next buyer, but I'm sure you have heard that. We have gotten a few quotes and 1800 over invoice is our best so far...good luck.
  • qgarqgar Member Posts: 3
    I finally took the plunge and ordered a week 45 330i, which should arrive before Xmas. Steel blue with black leather, sport and premium packages, xenons, CD, and H-K sound. Automatic, because I drive on 101. I was holding out on the premium package to keep it under $40k, sans leather and power seats, but caved in at the last moment when the dealer told me the black leatherette gets lots hotter than the black leather. Gave me an excuse to not feel as queasy about spending that much on a small car.

I did a whole lot of calling around first, including Sacramento and Roseville. It's very easy to find a car if you want silver with black or black on black, and there're some with steel blue with gray or steel gray with gray out there. Leatherette is out of the question unless you want a stripped car. The online purchasing sites aren't any good for such a popular car, though liquidprice.com got me an offer of $100 off MSRP (whoopty woo).

AAA and the Credit Union Direct sites and programs got me some response, but most dealers aren't bothering with it right now or are offering a token $500 or so off. The only substantial discounts were around $1500 off: 7% over invoice from Demi Le Marquand at Niello in Sacramento, and 7.5% over invoice from Victor Hung at Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo.

Victor's a pretty busy and brusque guy, but he "has the cars" as he says, so I jumped to take the week 45 330i. It gets built next week it seems. Yow! So, if you live in this insane market at you know what you want, check his site at http://www.bmwsale.com/

I'm all a-twitter.
    --groof!
    anyone can give me suggestion how to drive in "Break in period"? is it true that we shouldn't go over 4500 rpm in break in period?, i know even without going over 4500 rpm , i can still feel BMW's power.But last night there is this one guy driving a CLK320 keep looking at my 330Ci when we stop at the red light, i know he's going to "show off" his "more expensive car" to me, yup my guess is true, when the light turn green, he quickly accelarete his car pulling away from my 330Ci, well since i just read my manual about "break in period", and since i just got my car last week, i only accelarete normally, letting my streptonic transmission not to exceed 3500 rpm, o well he reach at the next stop light first at a very slight difference than me, if only he knows that his 3.2 engine only produce 215 horsepower, and BMW smaller 3.0 engine can produce 225 horsepower, i'm very proud with BMW, nice work, i'm sure if i use the 4500 rpm, the winning place would be different. anyway, Goosh i really talk a lot, if anyone know about what is Break in period really about, pls let me know, =) thx alot.