Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    when you look at the tire, notice how the lug nuts are arranged in a circle. now mentally draw an 5 point star in between the lug nuts. that's what he means. you don't want to tighten them by going "around" the circle, you want to tighten them by going "across" the circle..

-Chris
  • Options
    me... a poseur... rofl...

unlike v_tech, i speak the truth...

-Chris
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thanks for covering for me Chris, I was busy tonight.

Topspin, like Chris said, if you imagine that one of the five lug nuts is perfectly centered up above the axis of the wheel and then perform the tighten/loosen operations in the following pattern:

Top nut
    Lower left nut
    Upper right nut
    Upper left nut
    Lower right nut

This is the same type of a pattern you would use if you were drawing a “Five Point Star” on a piece of paper.

Hope we have helped you out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    a2374a2374 Member Posts: 6
    Looking for your valuable input on a comparison of the 2002 models from BMW (3), Audi (A4), and Lexus (IS300).

Click Here

Thanks,

--Adam

• Options
    Hey gang,

Has anybody else noticed that when you go to the "Message Center" you see "No new messages", and yet when you check the Topic areas, you see new messages listed for bookmarked discussions?

For instance, I have "The one and only M coupe" as one of my bookmarks, and there are apparently 6 new messages since I last looked, and yet, I show "No new messages" when I return the the Message Center.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    The coupes bookmarks don't seem to be working. I've posted in talk to the hosts about it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the acknowledgement; I was wondering if it was just me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    no nothing personal. I'd get rid of the persecution complex if I were you.
    :)
  • Options
    No problem, I think my DI did that for me back in 1977 at MCRD San Diego. I know you have heard it before, "The Few, The Proud, The Marines". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Anybody that thinks Winston Cup racing is all about driving fast in bricks and waiting for someone to crash, hasn't spent much time watching the sport. The main thrust of NASCAR is to keep costs down, in order to allow everybody to compete, and keep racing competitive. Thats why drivers don't win Winston Cup races by 3 laps and 60 seconds. They win by a car-length and a half, and .025 seconds. The racing is daring, intense and very suspenseful.

Most true Winston Cup fans hate crashes and cautions,...unless the driver they hate is involved in it, or it helps their favorite driver.

The rules are designed to keep everybody EVEN. Under those restrictions, I think those guys are remarkable engineers and drivers for being able to squeeze the most minute advantage out of the machine - without resorting to newer, more costly technology than the other guy. Also, the cars look nice, and the personalities are fun. There's really very little public arrogance in NASCAR. And the cars are safe too. Unless you hit the wall head-on, at 180+mph, it is almost impossible to die in a modern Winston Cup crash. It's the only kind of racing I find interesting and fun.

Just my opinion - I'd rather drive a BMW to work, than drive a Monte Carlo. But, I'd rather race a Monte Carlo in Charlotte, than an F1 car in France.
  • Options
    Back in 7 B.C. (Before Children) when I subscribed to every car magazine imaginable, one of them ran a head to head top speed test between a NASCAR Grand National car and a F1 Grand Prix car of that year.

What was interesting is that while the F1 car had a power to weight ratio that showed it with a 4 to 1 advantage over the NASCAR entrant, said NASCAR vehicle had few if any surfaces dedicated solely to the generation of down force (compared to the F1 car), meaning that it was cleaner when running through the air.

As it turned out, the top speed for the NASCAR entrant was something like 15-20 MPH higher than the FAR more powerful F1 car.

All in all, it was a very fun experiment.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Umm, my favorite marines were the ones stationed at the US embassy in Cyprus in 89-90. Those were some nice guys. Cute too. :)

Those were fun times

On topic:
    They did have a nice Nissan Patrol though!
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...and in that regard, the only NASCAR racing I can tolerate for any length of time are the very few road races they run every year, including Sears Point, my personal favorite.

F1 racing is less competitive, but I still watch every race because the sheer level of engineering and driving competence on display at this level is too impressive to ignore...but track designs and aerodynamics [as noted above] conspire to limit passing at too many venues.

The alleged "better competition" that NASCAR fosters with its rules is lost on me when you have packs of identical looking cars running in tight circles for hours at a time...not that this doesn't take consummate driving skill...I admire anyone who does this for a living. But I rarely can watch one of these races on TV for more than a few minutes at a time.

Yes, it is a case of having drivers you're interested in; in the case of F1, I have strong favorites and villians...the way hardcore NASCAR fans feel about that sport. Except for Jeff Gordon, most of the rest of the NASCAR field looks and sounds like they were all spit out of some cloning operation. And having grown up as an Army brat in the US South [and EU and Japan], it's still jarring for me to listen to some of these guys interviewed. The Schumacher brothers, speaking English as a third language [like most of the F1 field] sound positively erudite compared to some of these NASCAR guys...which doesn't diminish their driving skills, just my interest in their sport.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    They should have BMW & Mercedes-Benz compete in NASCAR.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    While I don't agree that all of the drivers except Jeff Gordon are clones,...after listening to a few Ward Burton interviews, it's hard to disagree with your point about language skills. And,...F1 style cars are far less distinguishable than Winston Cup cars. If two cars are the same color, you can barely tell them apart. At least Winston Cup cars have big numbers on them.

As a fan, I'm not too into the road races (though I think they are probably the most challenging and exciting to drive). In Winston Cup I find them very predicatble (Gordon, Wallace, Martin, Stewart,...1,2,3,4, or some variation of the above), and rather dull. But, anyone might win at Daytona.

Its all what you like.
  • Options
    Can you imagine a 5-series BMW with a push rod engine and carburetors,...and a big number on the roof,...and all those product endorsement stickers on the side (but they would be in German).

There would be no takers, though,...you can't even get WC teams to use two different types of tires! Remember Hoosier?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    LOL...That's a good one. It'd be hilarious! It wouldn't be complete without a sticker on the back that says..."My other car is an M3."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    c'mon ol' wawd makes them thar' innerviews interesting... lol...

this is a classic... :)

-Chris

• Options
    drfroyddrfroyd Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 325xi sedan and plan to purchase (probably from TireRack) a set of four winter/snow tires mounted on steel wheels. TireRack lists six tire choices for my vehicle. I would appreciate a recommendation on which one to choose. (Note: I live in Westchester County, NY.) Thank you.
  • Options
    where do you live?

-Chris
  • Options
    drfroyddrfroyd Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 325xi sedan and plan to purchase (probably from TireRack) a set of four winter/snow tires mounted on steel wheels. TireRack lists six tire choices for my vehicle. I would appreciate a recommendation on which one to choose. (Note: I live in Westchester County, NY.) Thank you.
  • Options
    killer99killer99 Member Posts: 21
    1pierce - I don't know about that keeping costs down part... I would imagine that it costs a pretty penny to build a Nascar race car.
    My opinion is if they want to keep it fair and cheap, they should do one of the leagues where everyone drives the exact same car (which is pretty close to what they have anyway)... If they want it to be fair, they shouldn't let them change the car at all... Just give them all identical cars and see who the better driver is.

Chris - That is horrible. I couldn't even read the site for that hideous laugh. You should toss that link in the trash.

I'm on the 'Road courses are the only ones worth watching' boat. I understand that it takes alot of skill to turn left all day, but obviously it takes alot more skill to turn both directions.... And apparently only 4 of the Nascar drivers have gained the right turn skills. That doesn't mean that those are the boring races... It means that more drivers (teams) should gain those skills to make the race better. Of course, if they had a larger percentage of the races included a right turn or two, the skills would be more nessesary for a winning season.
  • Options
    that's what iroc is for...

i like watching open wheel cars race on crooked tracks and fendered cars race on round tracks... i'm not so sure it's not that haven't mastered turning right as much as they haven't mastered the shifting/braking combination necessary for driving on the crooked courses...

-Chris
  • Options
    I agree with ccotenj. The braking/shifting is what separates great road course drivers. That and smoothness. Jeff Gordon is the smoothest driver in Winston Cup, that's why he always wins on the road courses (and he started out in open wheel cars). Tony Stewart is another, who started out in open wheel, and is very smooth and dominant on RC's.

At Talladega, they just shift up to speed and then hold the accelerator wide open for 2-1/2 hours. I've seen cars lose 2 gears and still be competitive there (Pit stops are hell, though). But, it does take character and skill to drive 200 mph, with a car in front, back, and on both sides of you, separated by 24" inches all around, for 2-1/2 hours. One blink and BANG!
  • Options
    huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356

Top nut
    Lower left nut
    Upper right nut
    Upper left nut
    Lower right nut

This is the same as what I do:

Start anywhere
    Next lug is two down from where you started, in either direction
    Next lug, two down (just keep going the same direction you were going)
    Next, two down (ditto)
    Next, two down (ditto)

BTW, don't forget to use a torque wrench. Half the reason you're doing this is to not warm a rotor.

-hh
  • Options
    mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Watching Lance Armstrong power up l'Alpe d'Huez leaving Jan Ullrich and Joseba Beloki in the dust was a real show of athleticism, skill, preparation, tactics and team work!

Not to say that auto racing doesn't require skill, but a good bike race has so many dimensions, auto racing seems rather boring by comparison.

-Murray
  • Options
    hehehe... i like bike racing, but c'mon, at least you get to see the cars when they race... :)

-Chris
  • Options
    at least you get to see the cars when they race

Yeah, you can see the cars, but I can't recall ever seeing the face of a racer during an auto race. On the contrary, big bike races have motorcycles with cameras on them that are, at times, literally inches away. You get to see the pain and suffering as these athletes put their bodies through hell.

Millions of fans line the roads of the major climbs a few feet from the racers. How close can you get to an auto race?

-Murray
  • Options
    aaron330iaaron330i Member Posts: 136
    Did you catch site of that 3 series floating down Lamar? Poor car.
  • Options
    topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    You have a lot of options open to you since I guess you're going with 16in wheels. Check out the reviews at the Tire Rack site. I ordered Blizzack LM 22. Dunlop winter sport also have very good ratings and if you call the 800 # ask for Kurt at extension 293. He was very informative and will help you decide based on what's most important to you in winter driving.
  • Options
    man, you don't get speedvision??? check out wrc racing... these fans are NUTS... also, if we could get the pay-per-view feed in the united states for formula 1, you'd get to see the faces of the drivers...

i'm not necessarily sure that seeing the pain and suffering of the athlete enhances the pleasure of the athletic event for me...

-Chriss
  • Options
    I saw in an earlier post that claimed one can purchase the M steering wheel as an add-on. The Bavarian Autosport catalog shows one but it costs $959 and I'm not sure it's the same as the original. Is the "real" M steering wheel available? If so, how much and where could one see a photo.
    Also, I've read a lot about the "fun" of getting the back end to "slide" out and how that's when you realize the great balance in the car. OK, so how do you do it safely and what would one experience re the balance.
    Oh, and thanks for the data on how to tighten the lug nuts on wheel changes.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    How about if we compromise and say World Super Bike/500GP/AMA Superbike races are best? Two wheels, but being powered by good old internal combustion. We could even add in AMA Supersport races for 1pierce (the bikes are very evenly matched and the races are typically very close). 70 mph 'hairpins' with knee dragging on the ground. Max Biaggi and Valentino Rossi throwing elbows going down the back straight at 180+ MPH. It doesn't get any better... although I agree with Chris that watching the World Rally series is a blast. Those guys are insane (drivers and spectators)!
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I had seen on E46fanatics that the ///M steering wheel was a popular upgrade, but when I contacted Pacific BMW about pricing, they told me that they were no longer selling them 'due to liability problems'. I don't know if that is true of all BMW parts depts or their own policy. It's also possible that if I had gone in and had their service dept do the install, they would have sold it to me. Maybe some backyard mechanic installed one improperly and had a problem. If I remember correctly, the prices were in the $400-500 range.

Let me know what you find. I kind of forgot about the idea a while back, but it is an awesome wheel (I drove an M5 and am assuming the M3 wheel is the same).

As far as sliding, several times, usually in the rain, I've gone to my kids school (nights and weekends only), turned off the DSC and just 'played around' in the parking-lot. Fortunately, I know the local law-officer (one cop, part-time).
  • Options
    man, you don't get speedvision???

Yeah, I get Speedvision. That's the channel I pass surfing my way to the Outdoor Life Network to watch a bike race :-)

I know bike racing will never be popular in the US, but I thought I would throw my opinion out there for some variety.

-Murray

p.s. Speaking of Speedvision, I saw Motorweek is going to have an M3 on an upcoming episode http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/upcomingshows.shtml

• Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    The part number for the black stitch M steering wheel is 32 34 2 229 230. I have heard about quotes as low as $270 from various dealers. The blue and red stitch M steering wheel may be $400-500, I am not sure. It looks nice but it would not be worth paying the price difference.
  • Options
    orientblue330iorientblue330i Member Posts: 10
    I just got an installed mine today, ordered from circle BMW(www.circlebmw.com). The only diff between
    32 34 2 229 230( black stitching)
    and
    32 34 2 229 500 ( blue and red)
    is the stitching.
    The -230 wheel came to 285+11 and change for ground shipping. ( for me its next day delivery since circle bmw is in the NYC metro area)
    I installed mine myself, but you may want to get a dealer to install it if you aren't comfortable with handling the airbag and/or have the correct equipment. It took me 15 minutes to install. disconnected the battery and observed ESD precautions ( i was grounded the whole time i was manipulating the airbag module... probably overkill, but i would rather not find out what a static discharge would do to a gas generator). its a double whammy in terms of things to go wrong, steering and airbag, so i can see why pacific bmw is hesitant to sell them.
    torque wrench is a must for securing the bolt when installing the new wheel.
    overall, the wheel feels much better in my hands than the stock SP wheel, a more substantial feel, and just alot more comfortable. the padding is thicker, and it has "bolsters" at the 2:30 and 9:30 positions to wrap your thumbs around
    again, make sure you understand the risks if you plan to do it yourself, and if u aren't completely comfortable with the risks and responsibilities involved, get a professional to do it.
    HTH
  • Options
    huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    The rule of thumb for snows is as narrow as you can fit on the car. Generally, this means the smallest rim that will cover the brakes and the tallest sidewall.

From Westchester, NY, you're not too far from EuroTire on Rt46E in Fairfield, NJ. Bill Bloomfield runs a good shop, has competitive prices and supports the local clubs (I know he has a PCA club discount; I think also a BMW one too). I've been a satisfied customer for over a decade. Call ahead to talk to decide what exactly you want, get it in stock and make an appointment; they do have Saturday hours: (973) 575-0080.

Bill typically carries Vredstein's, which are as good as the Blizzacks and several others. All 8 of mine (2 car's worth) have done fine (he can also get rims, including OEM cast-offs sometimes at pretty good prices).

-hh
  • Options
    Thank you for your valuable feedback on the M steering wheel. I liked the way you described the feel of the wheel. The thumb "bolsters" are a plus indeed. Even the non-sport A4 1.8T's steering wheel has those and I think it's an omission on BMW's part not to have those on every single 3-series' wheel. Would you say the M and the non-M wheels are the same diameter? I'm guessing they are, although the M wheel feels smaller and much sportier, likely because of its thicker frame. Oh, and one more thing: what did you do with the old wheel - is there a market for it or it is a sunk cost? BTW, an M shifter would compliment the M wheel very nicely if you haven't done so yet.
  • Options
    orientblue330iorientblue330i Member Posts: 10
    the M steering wheel is slightly smaller on the outside diameter than the sport wheel, noticeably smaller on the inside. my guess is the wire frame on the inside under the padding is about an inch or so smaller in diameter.( if my memory serves me)
    as for the old wheel, doubt there is much of a market for it since non SP cars cant use it ( different airbag module)... i'm keeping mine to put back on when i part with my 330i, i'll probably sell the M wheel since that would be easier to find a market for.
  • Options
    I just saw a European Mag that reviewed the new 3 and showed photos which included paddles on the steering wheel for shifting. Is this now standard in the US? How does it work?
  • Options
    Well, it's been only 6 months since I picked up my car and I already turned the 10K page. A little "birthday" present is in order - hence the write-up.

The car is an '01 325i SP, sunroof, xenons, OBC, heated seats, CD, H-K, Orient Blue/black 'ette, March '01 build.

So far, one unscheduled trip (two days) to the dealer for the following:
    - steering retrofit
    - aux fan recall
    - jammed coin holder
    - clutch stop fell off (clutch travels a little longer)
    - seat belt tensioner clicking noise (could not duplicate)
    - passenger side low beam light disappeared once for about an hour (could not duplicate but replaced the whole unit)

The Siemens fan that was put in as part of the recall needs to be replaced again with a Bosch fan. I have not had problems with it but it does not mean I won't till I put in the Bosch fan.

There is a clicking noise coming from the passenger side B pillar that turns almost into a rattle on bad roads. Not sure if it's the seat belt tensioner or the panel. Will have it looked at when I go in for my first oil change.

Speaking of the oil change, the first service is currently estimated at 14,450 miles, which is low considering I do 90% highway driving with very little traffic around me. It reflects a high average speed and RPM's. I should spend more time in the twisties and I hope I get a chance to do that more often in the next 10K miles. Fuel consumption is great when the car is driven very smoothly (~ 32 at 75-80 mph) but with my type of driving, I'd typically get about 24-25 on the highway.

The steering retrofit made a subtle yet very positive improvement to the overall feel of the car. With my March build car, the problem was purely assist-related, not road feel at all. The retrofitted steering tightens up considerably for a sportier feel, it feels quicker, and adds to the safety of the car (less wander) at higher speed.

Although we have heard much grumbling about the ContiSport tires, I am reasonably happy with them. I will, however, be replacing them probably with Bridgestone RE730 Turanzas when I burn through these next year.

The car's acceleration with the manual is more than adequate for everyday spirited driving. It has picked up a lot of responsiveness as the maps have adapted to more aggressive driving over time and it feels much faster than it did back when it was newer. There isn't abundant pickup below 3,500 RPM's but it really shines above 4K and it loves to be driven in the high RPM band. I have run against cars three times as expensive and it can hold its own, as long as I keep the RPM's high and shift quickly. The only mods I would consider are possibly a CAI if they eliminate the hissing problem, an M steering wheel and M shifter knob. Handling is phenomenal with the sport pack and braking is absolutely fabulous. The ABS have a very subtle pulsing sensation when they kick in as opposed to the abrupt pulsation that I've seen in other cars. It is difficult to throw the car in a tailspin on dry roads hard as I try. You need more power for that and I can see how the 330 would be more fun for sliding. If I had to buy a new car now, I'd still get the exact same car with exact same options, no regrets whatsoever, as I could not justify the price difference to upgrade to the 330.

Tis my first Bimmer and I am still as excited about it as I was on day 1. I am not a morning person at all but now I am excited about my commute when I wake up in the morning. I can still spend 10 min at a time looking at it and enjoying its beautiful lines. It is very comfortable on long trips - I can drive it non-stop for 3 hours and feel rejuvenated without a hint of fatigue when I get to my destination. I feel at home anywhere I go with it.
  • Options
    bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    Brave-most excellent post on your experience so far.

I have had my 325i for 13months and as my commute to work is less than 4 miles a day,most of my driving is done for pleasure which explains the sappy grin on my face.. :-) (recent photo)
    I have had zero problems with my car-it has visited the dealership only for an oil change, a shave and a haircut.

Not a squeak,nor a rattle. No recalls.
    It is much faster and lighter on it's feet than it was 10K miles ago and is about to face its' second winter in Chicago,home of the pothole and the road-cone.

I don't have the Sports Package but instead took the on-board Guinness Pipeline option which is a trunk mounted liquid cooled barrel of the Black Nectar, necessary for my survival. I have the part number here but I am so awash in cheap grog I can hardly see straight.

I don't often post on this board but I see "we" are not far behind those Chrysler 300M weasels and wanted to do my bit in bumping up the numbers.
    At this point in time I am so happy with my BMW experience that I intend to get me another one in 2003 in Munich and if the post-office robbery I have planned for next Thursday comes off I will either buy myself an M3 or never buy another stamp as long as I live.

Don't tell the police it was me.
  • Options
    enlightenmienlightenmi Member Posts: 1
    Just want to let everyone know about an exciting new sweepstakes being offered by Audi of America. It is called the Audi Double Take Sweepstakes and it is accessible here:

http://www.audiusa.com/sweeps/ss_index.html

You can win several nice prizes. The Grand Prize is a luxurious, all expense paid, trip to the Audi Driving Experience in Atlanta, Georgia. This is really the Panoz Driving School where you will have two days behind the wheel of the all new 2002 Audi A4.

To enter, you first view an animated sequence and then "solve" the mystery to determine what actually is happening. There are three episodes spread out over 6 weeks. You can enter each episode only once but each episode you play doubles your chances of winning.

Good luck!

• Options
    mcnal01mcnal01 Member Posts: 32
    Without considering the sport seats upgrade, would a casual driver without access to many twisties appreciate the the SP suspension?
  • Options
    Thanks for your review. I expect a BMW to be more reliable than an American car, but...alas, I guess nothing can top a Toyota, Nissan or Honda. My current car is a Maxima that has had no unscheduled maintenance in 32,000 miles. With the radio off, it still sounds rock solid. I'm just going to have to resign myself to having at least a few unscheduled visits to the garage during the term of my lease.

Also, I noticed that you have a 325i w/out PP. That means you don't have the armrest and center consul. Doesn't that just burn you to the limit - to know you bought a $33,000 car, and there is no out-of-site place to put a hair brush or a pack of gum (except the inconvenient glove compartment)! I could forgo every item in the PP (except sunroof, which can be added as an option), if the stupid armrest/consul was standard. With the savings on PP, I could almost add the SP, and a set of tires for winter.
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Please stop your whining about bimmers! If you think the Japanese cars are so much better, then just stick with them. All you keep saying is that BMW doesn't have this/that or BMW can't go for a hundred million miles w/o servicing like the Japanese cars can. Well, you know what? Some Japanese car are lemons and most BMWs are just as rock solid as Japanese cars.

Stop your trolling.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Who cares about superior engineering or a superlative driving experience? You just gotta have a car with adequate storage for toiletries and gum.
  • Options
    not a good idea to attempt to replace the steering wheel yourself unless you've got a real good handle on the mechanics/electrics of the air bag system... they ain't kidding about the "death or serious injury" part there....

-Chris

ps. i think i caught just a whiff of sarcasm in 1pierce's post... i think i did, anyway...
  • Options
    Went tire shopping on Saturday and I'm still reeling from the quotes I got (all around $1000 CDN for a set of 205/60/15 Pilot Alpins with steel wheels).

My car currently has 205/60/15s (Michelin Energy MXV4) M+S.

One guy (who came well recommended) suggested seeing if 195/65/15 tires/wheels would fit. He also stocks Nokians which I've heard are very good. (his quote for Alpins was about 25% less than the others, with the Nokians being marginally more expensive than his Alpins)

Will the 195/65/15 work? And has anyone used Nokians? How do they handle (dry pavement, ice, moderate snow) in comparison to Alpins or Blizzaxs?

Thx