Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    If you're using miles to go to Europe, some of the airlines are presently offering discounts for coach travel. I'm bringing my dad in January for only 35,000 miles (coach) on United instead of the usual 50,000. I think the special is available through 3/31/02.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I don't know if you read my post on the Audi board about my friend's '02 A4 3.0, the interior is wonderful. In addition to looking at the 3 coupe, he was going to get a fantastic lease deal on a loaded 525i. He's one of those guys who is bothered when a new model comes out, so he went with the 3.0 instead of the 525.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I was browsing Lufthansa's web site last week and found that they have an open auction for selected flights on specific dates. The fares are incredible, and you usually have 1 to 2 months advance notice.

For example, there is presently listed a set of 2 tickets from DC to Munich in January going for $125 (total, not each), plus approx $200 in taxes. If you can coordinate ED with one of these specials, it's a great deal.

the site is: http://cms.lufthansa.com/us/fly/en/spc/0,1758,0-0-237427,00.html

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Genie1,

Thanks for the comparo, I read a lot and suspect that I will probably have similar responses to the various cars as you. FWIW, even though I am now on the downward slope to 50, I kinda like the C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe. Were it not for the fact that it has less back seat leg room for my childrens' feet than my 328i (which is already at the bare minimum), it would be really high on my list. I will try to drive it none the less. ;-)

HGeyer,

Thanks for the "Heads Up" on the discounted tickets, if I end up going solo I will consider it. At this point in my life, I think I have earned the right to pamper myself (and my wife too), after all of the trans-ocean flights I have spent in coach, I think my wife and I deserve to sit our butts on leather and sip La Grande Dame for this trip. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    CarGuy,

I just started following the A4 thread, I read roughly the latest 100 posts, and as a result, I suspect that I missed your post. Could you please tell me the approximate date of your post and I will go over there and read it.

HGeyer,

That Lufthansa link is very cool, I may just wind up saving my miles a little longer and fly her to Auckland for a couple of weeks instead. I haven’t visited there in over 10 years, however, during the late 1980s I got to New Zealand three times and had a blast each time, and, she has never been.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    Nice list of cars there. I believe IS300 has less rear leg room than a 330i, so that could be a problem (still a fun ride though). Keep us posted on your progress.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Its post # 2595. I thought I wrote something a little more in depth, but it was nothing special. The interior is gorgeous, an absoulte work of art. I haven't driven it yet though. I love the tail pipes sticking out of the back! He says he feels like the Maxima he traded in for the A4 was faster, but the A4's handling makes up for it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    For the benefit of the folks here, I will repost a snippet of the "Audi Exhaust Tip" comment from yesterday:

Given the fact that I couldn’t go on a test drive last night, my only observations are thus far, tactile and visual. To that end, one of the coolest things I noticed about virtually every 2002 (Audi) on the lot was that they had dual exhaust tips cut into the bumper like a late 1960s or early 1970s muscle car, IMHO, GOD Himself/Herself intended dual exhausts to look just like they do on then new A4. ;-)

I have to admit, being a former Pony Car driver myself (1970 Dodge Challenger 340 4-Speed (now THAT was a heavy clutch)), I guess I am REALLY biased to that old “Dual Exhaust” look. Now if Porsche would just do the same thing for that totally LAME exhaust setup on the Boxster, it would have a very nice going away view. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    jliu_cajliu_ca Member Posts: 11
    Are the special ED Conde Naste tour packages offered by BMW (e.g. 6 days/5 nights) a good deal? worth it?

What is all included besides accomodations...cuisine, activities?

The pricing and info on the BMW web site also seems outdated (valid thru Nov. 2000)
  • Options
    dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    I have the chrome tip put on. I bought it from thr dealer and one of the service advisor put it on by hitting it with a stapler.And I fixed them when I got home using a piece of wood block to even out both sides. They look great!
    Dan
  • Options
    derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    IMHO, those Conde Nast tour packages are a bit overpriced. With the exchange rate as strong as it is, you can probably put together a better deal for yourself if you're willing to do the research and make the reservations. Another advantage of doing it yourself is that if, in the course of your stay, you find a place you like (for us it was Stuttgart) you can just stay there for 4-5 days and feel no pressure to move on. Then again, we like to do "seat of the pants" travel where we basically have only 1-2 of the first nights' hotel stays reserved and the rest we figure out as we go along. Not everyone likes to travel this way.

I promise my ED writeup is coming within a week. I can always post it out incrementally if anyone is interested...but I figure folks would rather see something a bit more polished and complete.
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Just got my alarmed configured this morning. The shop here did not even know about the options you can pick to get it programmed. I showed them the list i found on bmw nation for car and key memory. The tech came back saying there is, and he can't believe it. I nearly went over to him and told him to get recertified again. After everything, one of the options was not correct, so i was wondering if i should bring it back or live with it. When armed and i open the trunk and close it, the alarmed is armed but does not flicker the lights or siren. Don't know if this is a big issue or not, i am just anal and want things to be perfect. but i really don't want to do the waiting thing again.

Also, for some reason they had to reprogram my other options as well. Is this necessary, or the tech does not know what he was talking about, before he found out about the the alarm options?

This is another reason i don't want to bring it back, reprogramming my other options - they might mess up on that too.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    <<< When armed and i open the trunk and close it, the alarm is armed but does not flicker the lights or siren. >>>

It's normal, mine is the exact same way. The alarm stays armed during the whole time the trunk is open, so there's no need for the car to indicate anything when you close the trunk. All you have to make sure is that the trunk is closed when you're done with it...
  • Options
    cnorthrupcnorthrup Member Posts: 74
    I found that if you leave your trunk open, then set the alarm with the key, then close the trunk you will get an additional confirmation.

If I open the trunk after setting alarm and close there is no additional confirmation.

CNorthrup
  • Options
    topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    In response to a previous post, the wheels I got from tirerack were the only ones that they offer to fit the 330i. I think that they are called Millie Migila but ask them. They are copies of the M wheels and you use the original center cap from your stock wheels.
    I've read some posts regarding getting the tail to slide and now that I have 16in blizzacks on I was able to do that. My stock conti sports were too sticky, I guess and I wasn't willing to really push the speed. So my question is what should I look for when the tail is sliding around a turn that will signal that I'm in a high performance car and what is throttle steer? I won't be a daredevil any time soon but I just want to be able to understand and appreciate the capabilities of my car.
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    oic what your saying about the alarm. i tought even though you armed and hear confirmation, if you open the trunk and close it, you can program it to do it again. i guess it only confirms once, when you lock.
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I've already ordered my BMW 325i for European Delivery for early March. I should have went to Temple,TX because Momentum motors and every other dealer in Houston said the same line as though they were all the same dealership with different names. They said that they can't offer a lower price even though I let them know what the Euro invoice is. I need to understand something. With ED does the car come with floormats, first aid kit and the triangle? If so, do I have to pack these with my luggage? Also, is there anything else to be gained? I've done Germany and the autobahn, this time I will be glad that the car is mine. Is there anyway to get the Tannin red leather in the 2002 325i?
  • Options
    re: mats, first aid kit and triangle, yes they all come with the car and yes you need to remove them from the car and bring them back yourself.
  • Options
    topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    Was the red triangle standard on all 01's? I have a 330i and I haven't seen it unless it's buried somewhere.
  • Options
    mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Just picked up my 2002 330i on 3/36 lease. Current rate with money factor 190 is 4.56%. When I placed order 0n 9/30/01 money factor was 270 ( 6.5%). What a pleasant surprise when I picked up my car to find the payment dropped $44.00 per month, $1,584 less during the course of 36 payments. If getting close to a lease I would jump in on this one. Not sure how long this rate will be in effect...
  • Options
    allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    The first aid kit and warning triangle come with all European BMWs but not US-delivered cars. The European models have a nice, doored hardcase under the passenger seat for the first aid kit. When stored, the triangle is held with special attachments behind the left panel in the cargo area. The US-delivered cars have neither holding devices.
    However, the (softcased) first aid kit does fit nicely under the passenger seat (and tells you when you stop too abruptly by shooting out to the firewall) and the warning triangle fits well in the spare tire well between the full sized spare and the cargo area floor.
    Another comment that pertains to most of BMW's accessories. The price of these accessories seem high until you see what you get and observe their quality. When expanded, the warning triangle has a heavy base and locking arrangement that just about guarantees that it will not be blown over by passing cars. In its collapsed state, the base and arm pieces lock and fit into a soft case. The first aid kit has just about anything you might need for any condition short of cuts needing stitches.
  • Options
    jmad325jmad325 Member Posts: 17
    Funny that you say Momentum and the other dealers in Houston act like they are the same dealer with different names. Turns out they actually are. Advantage and Momentum are owned by the same guy. No wonder its so difficult to deal. josh
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I'm probably going to make my dealer made, but I have not signed any paperwork yet. Garlyn Shelton Imports in Bryan has already beat Momentum by $700. I really hate to back out of buying the car at Momentum but maybe I will call the salesman on Monday. I should have thought about this to start with. Yes, With ED I get a bargain but I guess you can say that I am greedy. After getting my pickup slightly above Invoice, it does not seem fair to pay MSRP. I guess things would not be too bad. I don't have to show my face at Momentum if things go sour. Do anyone else go through the mess that we contend with in Houston??? I should not have to travel 2 to 3 hours for a bargain.
  • Options
    So how much is your monthly lease payment? Any money down? What's the MSRP of the car you're leasing?
  • Options
    manajomanajo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 325ci with 10,000mi. Since new it rolls smoothly up to 55mph. At 65mph it picks up a low frequency drone sound with light vibration and at 75mph everything is smooth and quiet again. Took it to dealer twice who could not confirm problem. Anyone have similar problem?--Manajo
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Check your alignment and have your tires rotated and balanced. I would bet this would take care of the problem.
  • Options
    If you haven't signed anything, then you hold all the cards which is a nice position to be in. You can either 1) call your original salesman and say you're taking your business elsewhere unless they cut a deal of $1400 over ED invoice price (what I got at my dealer over in Maryland) or 2) simply take your business to the dealer who's willing to bargain.

My suggestion is to have fun with it and press them to go to $1400 or $1500 over invoice or you'll walk. You have nothing to lose!
  • Options
    What residual percentage did they use (Residual/MSRP)? How long of a lease?
  • Options
    postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    YOU can cut the same deal with that Maryland dealer and have the car delivered to the Temple dealer for an extra $250, as platypus did.
  • Options
    I couldn't get any Chicago dealers to budge from ED MSRP. A friend recommended a dealership in Ohio (Midwestern Auto Group) who agreed to 1,500 over ED invoice. For an additional cost of $300 they'll ship the car to a local dealership.

If all else fails, email me and I'll hook you up.
  • Options
    mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Regarding current lease on 2002 330i sedan,with PP, Metalic paint, Htd seats. MSRP 38,510.00 and my price 36824.00. 0 down, residual of 62%. I also put all fees and taxes into lease payments.Why not at 4.5%? In Maryland unfortunately tax on leased cars is 5% on FULL Sale price of car (Cap Cost). Payment $555/month for 36 mo with 12K miles.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. Brave, I've had the tips on for several months and they look like new. They are very high quality (typical BMW) with a heavy chrome plating. Tenet, I bought mine at my local dealer because I had a $25 parts gift certificate they gave me when buying the car. I think I also saw them at either Circle or Pacific BMW's web sites for less than $15 each (you need two) plus shipping. They really dress up the back of the car and are not at all gaudy like some those 'funnels' on some cars.
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    They're the same exhaust tips which come standard on 330 models. Once they've been on the car for a thousand miles and the soot from the exhaust has gotten the inside of the pipes nice and dirty, you can't even tell that they're add-ons! They get my thumbs-up (in case you hadn't figured that out) and I'm not normally a fan of this type of trim idea. Remember, Brave, I'm the one who has clears so you might not want to place too much valve on my opinion !
  • Options
    Based on the information you provided on your lease, your monthly payment should be approx. $529 (I included the 5% sales tax on your Cap Cost, as indicated). Something isn't making sense. Admittedly, Microsoft Excel and leasing companies can be off in monthly payment by a few cents, but not $25 ($300/YR). Email me if you want my Excel spreadsheet.

My guess is that you're getting a 5.5% interest rate, or possibly a 60%ish residual percentage.
  • Options
    cunning4cunning4 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone hardwired an radar detector so it turns on with the ignition/accessory key on? Can I tap into the lights near the sunroof? Also, I am not pleased with the cigarette lighter and my cell phone placement. I need a good place to install my rechargeable cord without getting in the way of the manual shift. I know BMW has a flashlight replacement cord available but I am not crazy about having a cord hanging out of my glove box. Any help is very much appreciative. Pictures are even better.
  • Options
    nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    I just finished reading an article in mobile entertainment magazine about an editor who installed a head unit that has a fold-out 6.5" LCD monitor and was interested if anyone has messed around with aftermarket stereo upgrades? My 325i will arrive in january and I want to upgrade the stereo system but I do not want to break the natural flow of the interior. Any advice is appreciated.
    -nobee
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    All -

I have driven two 2001 330i-s in the past year. Impressive. Both were Sport / Steptronic - as I expect to order mine. I expect to purchase a 330i in the next couple of months.

I am interested in responses concerning 2 changes that I have read about for 2002.

First - I need to have an automatic. Although there were a few behaviors I did not particularly like, basically, the Steprtonic was acceptable. Now I read that BMW has reversed the manual shift movement - forward to downshift and rearward to upshift. This seems counterintuitive to me - and my current car (I have driven it just over 30,000 miles) works in just the opposite way.

Q1: Has anyone driven a new 3 with this shift pattern? Reactions and impressions?

Also - I expect to have my 3 equipped with the Sport Package. The ride and handling that I experienced during my test drives was well suited to my taste. But now I see that there is an 18" wheel tire package offered over and above the Sport's 17s. Today I saw a 3 for the first time equipped with these wheels and tires. (35 series rears! My, my!) And I find that I prefer the styling of these wheels to the current Sport's 17"-ers. My nearest dealer currently has only 1 equipped with these 18s - a coupe 325 w/manual trans.

So. Q2: Has anyone driven this combination? How much is the ride compromised by the 18"-ers?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who thought a month ago that he knew exactly how he wanted his 3 equipped ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Here is a link to the V1 Concealed Display install that I did. I basically put together the info from the couple of articles I'd found on the internet - my only contribution is the location of the concealed display, which I like much better in my install.

V1 Concealed Display Install

Here is how it looks from outside -

V1 From outside

It took me about an hour to do it but it was well worth it IMO.

• Options
    Is the $1400 or $1500 over ED invoice only applicable to the base ED price and you still pay MSRP for options (Premium pkg, sports pkg, etc.).

Can you post the contact info on the Ohio dealer (or email me)? I have Joern's contact info in VA.

Still checking into airfare prices but looks like I'm gonna take the ED plunge.

Thanks!
  • Options
    On a good ED deal you should only be paying invoice price for options, and not MSRP.

Before anyone asks, I should clarify that there is no special ED invoice price for options, so base all calculations on the US option invoice price (available on Edmunds and elsewhere).

Go for it! My only suggestion is to wait until the weather is a little better. Jan-Feb is when things get nastier weather-wise.
  • Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    I've seen a small 'fin' on the back section of the roof on different series of bmw's. its right above the rear window.

is that a radio booster for better reception.

Also - does anyone know if it is possible to order the premium package and NOT have the wood trim?
    stg
  • Options
    I agree with Derprofi. My only ED regret is that I'll be in southern Germany in early January. Plan your trip for Spring!

Invoice pricing for options for ED vehicles is also available at www.eurobuyers.com (sorry, Steve) and where the same for my car as the domestic options prices.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I have a 325i w/step and after driving manuals almost my entire life, I found that the current 2001 configuration to be counter-intuitive.

It is based on this that BMW is changing the shifting configuration for 2002. In my opinion, the new downshift/up and upshift/down just makes more sense for some reason and comes more naturally. Either way, you will get used to using whatever is in your car.

Other than that, I think the Step is great, and I almost always use it while driving.
  • Options
    The small fin is the antenna for the integrated mobile phone option. The radio antenna is integrated into the rear window glass.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I always thought the shark fin was for the NAV system, but I did a quick search on Google and it looks like it's actually a cell phone antenna.

FWIW, I saw many more of these in Germany than I've seen in the US...
  • Options
    nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    dynamically organizes digital music collections into custom playlists and converts existing CDs into digital music files using MP3, Windows Media Audio files (WMA) and other popular formats. Taking that collection on the road is as simple as synchronizing the PC with a 20GB, removable, digital media storage (DMS) cartridge using a USB docking station. The palm-sized DMS cartridge is capable of holding up to 6,000 music tracks or approximately 500 CDs in MP3 format. The desktop-to-driveway solution provides everything needed to enjoy an entire music collection at home, work and in the car, without the hassle of burning CDs, dealing with messy adaptor cords or replacing the car stereo system. The PhatNoise Music Manager PC software

So basically you purchase a hard drive and a module and plug it in straight to your stock system. Ingenious!

For more info: http://www.phatnoise.com/

• Options
    mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    This is intriguing, but there are some drawbacks:

-USB would be dog slow. By my calculations, transferring 5 gig would take about an hour, 20 gig would be 4 hours. Give me Firewire.

-Is it portable, or am I limited to one car?

For half the cost I can get an iPod that fits in my shirt pocket, has 10 hours of battery life and can go virtually anywhere. Granted, it only holds 5 gig, but I don't own 500 CD's anyway.

-Murray
  • Options
    thanks for the clarifications. i am aiming for a Mar/Apr trip as I have not yet ordered. i think the weather should be better then. :-)
  • Options
    DovDov Member Posts: 24
    Sure you can use an iPod, or a NOMAD or any other MP3 player. The problem is how you get the MP3s to play through the car stereo. If you have a cassette, you could use a cassette adapter. If you have the CD option (and for some reason BMW still does not see fit to provide you with both a tape and CD player) you need to use those FM transmitters. While you can buy them for about $20, they don't always work that well and can generate lots of static.

I am still looking for a car stereo that will accept my CF card from my ipaq and play MP3s, WMAs, etc.