Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    A few days ago I posted a "what should i do with that pesky yellow oil light that comes on once in a while" message. someone suggested topping off a bit of 5W-30 which i did and the light has not come on since.

thanks
    stg
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    This link shows the quality ranking of the SA plant.

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/search/winners.asp?StudyID=625&CatID=1

• Options
    dkt3dkt3 Member Posts: 1
    Just received the latest copy of Road and Track which featured the ratings of 11 sports sedans. Sadly enough, the G35 came out on top with the 330i rated second. As far as performance & handling, the 330i was the overall winner but the G35 scored highly based on its price. You all should check it out.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    colors: Silver's the German national color in F1 racing (it used to be white), so my 3 series is silver. Plus, the car looks sharp in it, and it blends in with the background quite well.

kominsky: It sounds like the floaty feeling is due to tire pressure. You might have it too high (fron anyway). I'd try dropping the fronts by 2 psi before trying higher pressure.

radar detector: If I get one, I'll speed more, so I won't get one. I don't speed in residental areas, and on the HWY, I'm not too obvious about speeding. Good common sense will usually see one through.

South Africa: There doesn't seem to be any quality issue with SA builds (at least not on this board). I guess the only thing is, it would be nice to get a German car built in Germany. Well, one way to insure you get a German built BMW is to get a M car or a Z8. :)
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    This is not the only time cars have been ranked higher due to price. Edmunds give the TL-S a nod a few years back, due to price. But following the logic that price is factored in you could compare a G-35 against a Porsche and the G-35 would win on price/performance. But the same thing would hold true with the Subaru. The Subaru would win on price/performance. But one can't have it both ways, either price is a factor or it's not.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I do not know if this has changed or not, however, the only U.S. spec car that BMW built in South Africa was the 325i. The only other non German built BMWs available in the States are the U.S. built X5 and Z3 models. One way to ensure a German build for a 325i is to order a new car via the ED program, which only uses locally built cars.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    Another way to ensure you get a German build 325i is to do European Delivery.
  • Options
    petrarchpetrarch Member Posts: 28
    Besides the wheels, do you use Klasse all over the car?

Two weeks ago I took delivery of a 325i, and I left spots all over it trying to wash it shortly thereafter. Now, the All-In-One is here, but it's such a small bottle...
  • Options
    schumaccschumacc Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone knew why the 325Ci coupe base price was $2,000 more than the base price of the 325i sedan? I know the coupe comes with the sport suspension as a standard option, but that doesn't account for the entire difference. Does anyone know what else accounts for the difference? Thanks (waiting anxiously for my new 2002 325Ci
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Per dealer, 325i's are built in both places, using a lot of robotics. So it seems reasonable to think build quality will be similar.
    Just because I admire another car--can't think of another one just now ;-)--doesn't mean you are jumping ship!
    Off topic, I feel like a dinosaur because my last camera purchase was an SLR, with an upgraded lens no less. Sometime, when I'm feeling less "soverypoornow", I'll have to check it out, esp. that one discussed here.
  • Options
    Yes, I use the Klasse all over my car. Have no fear regarding the size of the bottle, a little goes a long way.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    true, but M cars are more fun. :)
  • Options
    mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    Put the first thousand miles on a new 325i purchased from Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara. At 1000 miles per week I'll exhaust the warranty rather soon!

The car drives and handles beautifully! I've read with great interest the discussions of steering weight differences across model years and whether or not the 3er needs SP. I like the steering weight of this model--surely wouldn't want it any lighter, can't see the benefit of its being heavier. As for SP, I decided to do without and see it as a mixed bag: the regular suspension conveys plenty of road feel for this 50-year-old body, but I do notice that the car could be tighter in curves and corners. So I would agree with SP advocates that it's the thing to have for turning at speed. I don't do that very often, so think I can do without.

I bought the car over the internet from Franco Karzag at Cutter, and would heartily recommend him and the dealership to others. Very straightforward, knowledgeable, and professional in all ways, so it was very easy for this Arizonan to buy in CA and drive home. Santa Barbara and its environs offer nice roads for test drives, too.

Finally, about shifting the 5sp: I have done so by ear for about 30 years, but am wondering at what RPMs/speed others move through the gears. During break-in I have been generally careful about keeping RPM below 4500 (meaning I probably nicked that level 2 or 3 times and never hit 5 grand). I also noticed that 1st gear winds out quickly, but 2nd and 3rd will go on and on. In everyday driving, when not trying to get up to speed in any particular hurry, where do most folks move into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th?

Best wishes,

Ed

PS I might surpass 1pierce's BMW longing: I bummed a ride home from college (Colgate) in a BMW (2002??) that belonged to a rich kid from West Hartford. I had never heard of the make--in our world the hot cars were big-iron Dodges (426 hemis?) and the occasional little sports cars (Triumphs and such). But I immediately noticed that this car was very well put together: the ways the doors closed, the dials worked, the car accelerated and turned. Thirty-two years later I own one.
  • Options
    wrjohnsonpghpawrjohnsonpghpa Member Posts: 53
    Bimmer Cams - Shipo, I'm looking at the Fuji FinePix 4900. I think it's the model up from yours. Amazon wants $499.99. Any thoughts?

South Africa - I believe South Africa is final assembly only(?). Parts assembled are the same as those assembled in Germany. There is no reason to fear SA assembly, whatsoever(1 word?). I would hazard to guess that most 325is(plural) imported in the U.S. are now assembled in South Africa. Quite frankly, I might have more concerns about the X5 and Z3 assembled in the U.S.

Coolest Things About My 325i (non-technical, i.e., non-performance related)
    - Outside door handles. Are these the greatest looking outside door handles ever made, or what?
    - "Ambient" lighting of the console
    - Interior "theater" lighting that fades in and out
    - Lighting of steering wheel controls for radio and cruise control
    - Dash LED gear indicator, when in Step manual mode (yes, I have the Step)
    - Clown's nose (I know this will be controversial)
    - Full size spare tire with spare (matching) alloy wheel
    - Tool kit
    - Rechargeable flashlight
    - Analog instantanious MPG gauge (although totally useless)
  • Options
    eoseos Member Posts: 27
    If you are interested in ordering a car in the pipeline, the salesman can easily put a filter on the options to include or exclude SA build. We did this on our new 325i (which is German-built). I agree with the comment that most 325's on the lot at our dealer (BMW of Sterling in Northern VA) seemed to be of SA origin. Don't know whether this reflects delivery proportions or buyer preferences.

Bob
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    brave - by floatier, I mean they don't give me that sixth sense feeling of what exactly they are doing or about to do. To me, they don't feel as connected to the ground as the Contis. That said, they do actually stick better, they just don't seem to 'talk' to me as well.

chris - I have felt an improvement from the 31psi at which they were delivered to the 33psi that I currently have them at. My thinking was that the higher pressure helped, but maybe it was that they were breaking in properly at the same time. I'll try lowering them to see what happens. Thanks.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Well, I shift anywhere from low 1 to low 6 depending on my driving at the moment which tends to be aggressive 95% of the time. I love shifting above 4,500 RPM's most of the time because the car really opens up in the top 2K RPM's. Yep, first gear is a little short because of the overall short gearing of the 325i but it is sufficient if you let the RPM's rip to 6K in first.
  • Options
    1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I looked pretty hard at the coupe. I think it looks better than the sedan (it is monochromatic, with no black door or bumper trim). That's not a knock - I just think the coupe in bright red (the old color) is the best looking car in the world.

The difference in price has to do with standard equipment. In addition to the 3-sedan, the base coupe has: sport suspension (w/all season tires), sport steering wheel, folding rear seats, and the armrest/console. It also has different headlights/front end, tail lights, and hood. Actually, BMW says that every exterior body piece is different except the door handles. The coupe rides about 1/2" lower. Finally, the coupe is bigger on the outside in every dimension except height, but noticeably smaller on the inside (a new definition for "reverse engineering"?).

Is all that worth an additional $2,000? I think so, I just have too many kids for a coupe. You be the judge for yourself.
  • Options
    Don't feel like a dinosaur. I have been upgrading my SLR system with a new Nikon SLR system for the last three years. I'd love to have a digital camera for web photos, but as for my main hobby work, I can't imagine ever being without film.

Just like these guys that feel too disconnected w/out manual transmission,...I feel totally disconnected from photography with a digital camera. The idea that I never have to change film, and can correct nearly any mistakes through digital manipulation takes alot of the fun out of it for me.
  • Options
    allanoallano Member Posts: 175
    Ed,
    I've had my 325 for about a year and after break-in, normally shift out of 1st in a range between mid 3s to 4,500 rpm because I found the shifts from 1st to 2nd are smoother up there than below 3500 rpm. Besides, shifts from that engine speed keep you close to the lower end of the torque band (~3000 rpm) of the 325i when you get into second. About the same range for other gears depending on how I feel, climbing or descending and traffic conditions. In snow, I'll shift below 3500 just to stay out of the torque band.
    As a guideline after break in when you accelerate hard, it is usually time to shift when you have cleared traffic and get a chance to glance down to the tach. Your engine may sound like its over-reving but I usually catch the tach at 5500 to 6000 and can decide if I want to go farther without too much "head-down" time. Never had the rev limiter kick in. Getting out of first quickly is a good thing since your real acceleration advantage is in 2nd and 3rd.
    I owned a MY 1972 BMW 2002 for about 10 years. It was a true, light-weight, classic (but more refined) sports car in sedan form with a silky-smooth 4 cylinder that used to growl like current 325s above 4000 rpm. Brakes were not much good (at least on my car) but not much could upset the suspension and once you settled the (stock) suspension, it would turn as if on rails. The current 325i is much more refined and I greatly prefer its power, handling and brakes over the 2002.

Alan
  • Options
    How do you know if your car is being made in South Africa or Germany? Does the dealer readily volunteer this info? Is it obviously on the car, the sticker, or the paper work?

Deep down, I know the SA quality would be fine, but I didn't buy this car for it to be put together by people who's primary language is English. (before I open a caldron, that was a joke)
  • Options
    You are a model of patience and perseverance. I salute you, and hope you love your car.
  • Options
    I actually passed on the 4900 because it did not have the sound and "Movie Camera" modes like the 2800. That said, it has many traditional shutter features that the 2800 does not have. It was a difficult call as I could have gotten it in the low $300 range at the time. One thing you should keep in mind, if I'm not mistaken, that camera has been discontinued by Fuji, and the new ones in stores are just left over supply.

If you feel like popping for the next camera up in the line, the S602 can be had for about $700, and not only does it have the best of the 4900 and 2800 rolled into one camera, it also is a 3.3 MP camera which can take substantially higher quality pictures than the 2800.

Let us know what you do.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    For those of you interested, I have posted a few new pictures at: http://photos.yahoo.com/shipo, including three 1600x1200 shots so that you can see just what a punny little 2.1 MP digital camera can really do. ;-)

The new pictures are in the "530i Delivered" album, and the three Hi-Res shots start with 16x12 in their names (as in "16x12AudioClimate"). Please keep in mind, if you wish to see the pictures at their full resolution, you need to click on the "ThumbNail" shot to enhance it to a "ScreenSize" shot, you then need to click on that shot again to take you to full resolution.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I used to prefer film but was won over a couple of years ago by an Olympus C-2020Z (the C-4040Z is more current). I liked the control of a 35mm SLR and the ability to choose lenses. But my point is that you had to learn how to to use the camera to take good pictures.
    In the same manner, you need to learn how to effectively use a digital camera but once you do, I believe you will not go back to film (unless you develop and print your own). Besides being fully automatic, the Olympus has all controls available for manual set (focus, exposure and speed) plus the ability to shoot a ton of pictures at no cost to you. The Olympus has an offset, optical view finder but once you learn its frame offset, you can frame your shots perfectly at any zoom level (the optical viewfinder adjusts it frame size to the zoom level).
    I'm sure you have been uncertain about exposure over water or hazy conditions. Just set the digital camera to automatically take three exposures at +/- 0.3, +/-0.7 or +/-1.0 EV and you can choose the best exposure later. Taking 360 degree Virtual Reality or 2D panoramas with only 10% overlap is amazing and most digital cameras have a 15 second movie capability.
    In addition, I've had real good luck with post processing using gamma compensation and red-eye removal. Pictures taken inside with windows as a background have been adjusted so you can see people and objects just below the window.
    With your interest in photography, I would recommend you borrow a good digital camera from a friend. You'll never go back -- I've tried, with the investment I have in 35mm gear, but I can no longer tolerate the picture to picture density variation and generally poor print quality these days.

Alan
  • Options
    There's a character in the VIN that indicates if its a South African 325i. It's an "N," but I forget what position it's in. Consult "www.E46fanatics.com" "FQA."
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    The dealer provided the info that it was coming from Germany. I am guessing it might be reflected in the VIN. My VIN starts off with WBAEV & maybe "EV"=European Vehicle. Then again maybe not! And maybe he's just lying, but why should he?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I can see the appeal of shooting with a regular camera but you can do all of that with a digital camera. You can manually control ANY setting - from aperture to the most obscure ones that I never even knew existed. Just like an auto tranny, though, I doubt I'll ever take the time to learn all of these. You should also consider the fact that storing, managing, reproducing and sending pictures is a lot easier with a digital camera. Not to mention that it is a lot cheaper long-term because storage is cheaper than film. I think that regular cameras are here to stay but their share of the market will continue shrinking over time. Neither regular cameras, nor manual trannies will ever disappear but they will probably be reduced to a small niche market of enthusiasts that like to "shift" for themselves even after superior technology has taken over. Just for the fun of it.
  • Options
    billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    This information was taken from e46fanatics.com:

Digit Value Meaning
    Position 1,2,3: Manufacturer
    WBA BMW AG
    Position 4,5,6: Model
    AM3 323i
    AM5 328i
    BM3 323Ci
    BM5 328Ci
    AV5 330i
    BS5 330Cic
    BN5 330Ci
    BS3 325Cic
    BN3 325Ci
    AV3 325i
    AN3 325i SA built
    AW3 325iT
    Position 7: Country
    3 United States model
    Position 8: Restraint System
    3 or 4 Dual, de-powered airbags
    Position 9: Check digit
    Position 10: Model year
    Y 2000
    1 2001
    2 2002
    Position 11: Assembly plant
    F Munich
    K Munich
    C Dingolfing
    F Dingolfing
    E Regensberg
    J Regensberg
    N South Africa (currently 325i's only)
    Position 12-17: Serial number
    6 digit serial number
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Not all 325's are from SA. Some, as others have noted, are for ED and built in Germany. But the 325xi's are German built. Somebody told me it had something to do with the AWD feature.

As for location, Yes, the vin will tell you which plant even. Check e46fanatics.com for a breakdown of the VIN. Look in their FAQ. Do a search on the FAQ page for "17 digits" and it should jump you right to it. OK somebody beat me to it. Problem is, no 325xi is listed for the model. :) heheh My car doesn't exist I guess. Also it has my plant listed as P, which again, isn't listed.

-Paul
  • Options
    I agree. Film will still be around, like manual trans., but will be for enthusiasts. For now, though, digital still can't match top quality film photography for resolution. It gets VERY close, if you use a $5,000 digital camera. I like interchangeable lenses, and I now have a pretty extensive (and expensive) collection of Nikon lenses. I'd have to get a D1 body to shoot digital with my lenses, and that is cost prohibitive. Pity Nikon doesn't make an amateur digital camera that uses their lenses. I'll probably get one used, in a few years, when the next generation D camera comes out. The D1 is what all of the photo journalists are using these days.

In the short term, I'll probably pop for a sub-$1,000 digital camera with a zoom lens, for use in web photography. That said, I also need to upgrade my home computer, because the hard drive and processor are too slow and small to manipulate digital photos (so I'm told, I have a 1997 vintage Pentium II 200, with 5.6 MB HD).

Come to think of it, I love photography almost as much as cars. Almost. I think of BMW as the Nikon of cars (occasionally missing a feature, but nobody beats the performance). Audi is the Canon of cars (always the latest and greatest technology, but doesn't have the Nikon feel). And MB, well I guess they're Minolta (superb system, built like a tank, but over priced and inconvenient to use). You other photo enthusiasts know what I mean.
  • Options
    claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I was reading the July Car & Driver article about the 330Ci vs Acura 3.2CL Type-S. The BMW won, however it's a coupe, so off topic here. Anyway, what I think is impressive is the performance BMW gets out of their cars against more powerful competitors. The 330Ci was .1 sec quicker to 60 mph and .2 sec quicker to the quarter mile--though it was a little slower to 100 mph. But, the 330Ci has 225 HP to the Acura's 260. Plus, the Acura has 18 more ft-lbs of torque as well. The G35 owners were all happy because their car was behind the 330i by just tenths as well--but their car also has a big power advantage. If that weren't enough, the BMW also gets better fuel mileage. I imagine that if BMW wanted to boost HP to appease the American market, the other offerings would not even come close to keeping up.
  • Options
    A very sweeeet looking digitcam. I understand that it will be available this month--June '02. Looks like the FinePix 4900 is discontinued as Amazon lists it as "limited availability." I did like the price of it better, though--$500 vs $800 for the S602. A close comperable would seem to be the Minolta Dimage 5, which is cheaper. I'll take a good look at it and report back. Anybody else want to weight in?
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Gee Shipo,

Those interior shots are so close up (a/c and radio) that you can see the dust on the dash. Is the resolution and clarity THAT good? Woah!

-Paul
  • Options
    Yup, it's that good. ;-)

I really wanted a 3 MP camera or better, however, now that I have this thing, I am finding that I am hard pressed to figure out what else I would do with the nicer camera that I cannot do with this one.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I would not sell the current 3.3Meg and 4+Meg pixel resolution digital cameras short. Look at the results, not their specifications. I don't think you need to spend more than $800 to get results that would satisfy you.
    Your computer seems just fine if it has a USB interface. I have about the same capability, a 17inch monitor, HP 970C printer and I don't wait very long for anything but prints.
    I don't like large prints (8x10s) and find 5x7s and smaller pictures on glossy photo paper to be very acceptable compared to commercial prints - especially since I tend to print only selected shots after slight adjusts in brightness and contrast.
    I do have a CD-R/RW burner for archiving digital pictures. I typically group them in folders by subject or occassion, create a (couple of) thumbnail sheets with filenames (one per folder) and then archive this organization (off the HD) to CD-R when I have enough pictures to fill a CD. Beats the box of prints that have never found their way into a photo album.

Alan
  • Options
    On my 330i, I shift from 1st to 2nd as low rpm (2000) or high rpm (over 3500). It doesn't like the mid range for some reason. For other gears, it doesn't seem to care too much. I perfer shifting at higher rpm, since I love the sound of I6 reving up.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    billiam70... VIN explanation I got regarding BMW is a bit different:

Digits 1-3 are manufacturer's code (e.g., WBA=BMW AG; 4US=Spartanburg, SC, USA; WBS=Motorsports; and NCO=BMW SA, with 4US and NCO not used after MY 1999.)

Digits 4-7 are the model code.

Digit 8 is the restraint system identifier.

Digit 9 is a check digit

Digit 10 is the model year identifier.

Digit 11 is the plant code (e.g., L=Spartansburg, A=Munich, B=Dingolfing, D=Dingolfing, E=Regensburg, and N=South Africa).

Digits 12-17 are the sequential production number.
  • Options
    Pulled the window sticker for my wife's '00 323iA. In the upper right hand corner is mandatory the "Parts Content Information". Her's has 5% US & Canadian parts content and 80% parts content from Germany. But the "Final Assembly Point" is clearly shown as "Pretoria, S. Africa." The "Engine Parts" are from Germany and the "Transmission Parts" from France (thinking this means she has the General Motors 5-speed, one Cadillac is now using in CTS). Truly an international car!
  • Options
    The 11/24/01 issue of NY Times, Business Section, had a cover story titled "A Quest to Promote the Quality of Cars Made in South Africa." By Henri E. Cauvin. Toyota, VW, Ford, GM, Nissan, BMW, and DC all build vehicles in SA. The list is in descending order of production, 2000 year data.

Gives some history of BMW in SA. How they have fully owned or controlled their subsidiary since the apartheid days. BMW used to assemble full line of BMWs in SA but now only make 3 Series. Were slated to build 49,000 3 Series in 2001, a record. BMW has spent a lot of money upgrading the plant.

Article discusses that SA build quality is up to world standards, though the cars cost a bit more to produce and take longer to build (when measured in man-hours per car).

In 1995 SA government initiated a subsidy program for manufacturers, to encourage exports (the Motor Industry Development Program). Program will run thru at least 2007 and possible 2012. Each manufacturer trying to get their costs and build times down to world level before the program expires.

NOTE: According to Jonathan Cohen's book, BMW M-Series and Performance Specials book, 1996, a most unique and famous BMW SA cars was their 1980s E23 platform 745i. Instead of using the 3.2L and 3.5L turbocharged I-6 engines as the made-in-Germany 745i, BMW SA's 745i used the Motorsport 24-valve 3.5L I-6 from the M635CSi and M6. Too bad BMW doesn't make an M7 today!
  • Options
    soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    Well, my car unloaded from the ship at 8:15 this morning. Yours?

I am now mentally dividing my calendar next week into two distinct segments -- driving BMW and not driving BMW.

Think our cars made friends?
  • Options
    postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I agree with you on the South African build issue. A good part of the "charm", for me, of buying a BMW is getting a car that was built and assembled in Germany! It isn't a quality issue. For the same reason I wouldn't like it if I went to South Africa and bought some native art and when I got home turned it over and found a sticker saying "Product of Sri Lanka" or some such.
  • Options
    bbell4bbell4 Member Posts: 34
    You SP fans will be happy to know I wound up going with the SP and am glad I did. Still have wait a few weeks til it gets here but I am VERY excited. Thanks for all the input. Now on to tinting....I can get it done locally from anywhere b/t $145 - $275 depending on "heat rejection". The shade of the tint is the same apparently.

In Tucson max heat rejection could be important -although maybe it's like sunscreen - 15 SPF is fine but maybe 45 SPF makes you feel like you're getting the most....is it just a way for them to make more money or where it gets to be HOT in the summer maybe max is best? As always, thanks :)
  • Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Just catching up

Well, there is something about a Red Ferrari, a Green British car and a Silver German car, that a car enthusiast can't avoid (car enthusiast: anybody who likes cars enough to read about them while sitting in the toilet, day after day;)

Silver is also practical, as it doesn't look dirty as quickly as darker colors.

However, that’s just me. You should customized your car the way you want and select the colors you like (and I applaud that, so not all the cars look the same!)

As a kid, I always associated silver with German sport cars (Porsche, MB, Audi and BMW), so now that I can afford one, I knew it would have to be silver. And every time I glance at my Silver 330ci, I just can't avoid but to think about how slick, racy, shiny, and clean it looks. Perhaps my next one will be a different color, but the first one, had to be silver.
  • Options
    leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Go with the best tint that is reasonable. Max heat rejection would be my rec for Tucson.

The dealers here in Houston can do a normal tint job, but they have this "new" tint that rejects heat very well. The demonstration is very impressive as you stick your had under a hot lamp with normal tint and then with the super tint. Your eyes get real BIG then you ask how much it costs and your mouth DROPS --$895--it makes you want to laugh and they know it too as they stand there quietly waiting for you to respond--I think they are a little embarassed/ashamed.
  • Options
    leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Your observation is correct -- it is interesting to see the Japanese builders put these immensely powerful engines into their cars only to have them tie with the 330. I would love to see a 270HP 6 speed 330 or 332 ;-)
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Over the last few years we've seen the size of engines and wheels ever increasing in the sport and luxury car market. I wonder how long this will last. The E46 goes from 170 HP to 225 (and 333 for the M3) in a few years. The E60 will take a big jump next year (2004 model). The 3 series (non M) will certainly have to get to 250 - 300 HP in the next few years to keep up with the Japanese cars.

The same with wheel size. A couple of years ago 16" wheels were the biggest standard wheel. Now 17's are not considered large. I saw an E46 with 20" rear wheels and 19's on the front.

Obviously, this cannot continue indefinately. What happens to the first manufacturer that comes out with a new model that is reduced in size or HP? Will it go to Oldsmobile heaven? Anyone see the Lingenfelder(sp?) Corvette that makes something like 800 HP? 0-60 in under TWO seconds!
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    If you want the best heat reduction then check out German product Huper Optik.com it is ceramic coated and blocks 82% of heat yet is not dark . Unless you want the "gangster" look of a dark tint. j/k . i was quoted $300-400, so i wonder what you would get for that $895.00 ?

Dale: i didnt realize the 5er seats also have the adjustable thigh support , it worth gold on a long trip .

330ci: regarding colors i could not have said it better myself, no way could i pass on a Silver German car :)

DL
  • Options
    mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Two years ago I bought a 3 Mp Nikon 990 (now 995 - ~$600) prior to the birth of my daughter.

Both the 990 & 995 give you full control of aperture and shutter speed (check out my bike race photos link below). You may think you want a point & shoot, but it's so much easier/cheaper to experiment with a digital camera that it will want the control. For the first time in my life, I'm actually interested in photography.

Here is what I've learned:

-A swivel lens/body (Nikon 990) or swivel LCD is very handy as in shooting something down low, up high, etc.

-Companies that make good film cameras make good digital cameras; they all use similar ccd's so it comes down to the optics, etc.

-Nikon makes the best macro (close up) cameras. If you think this isn't an issue, take your camera into the back yard some time, you'll have a blast shooting wildlife on the small scale.

-Plan on spending more than the price of the camera; 32 or 64 Mb card, nickel metal hydride rechargeable batteries, better printer, software, etc.

-Epson makes the best picture printers, but my HP does pretty well.

-Go to a camera store instead of Best Buy, it's amazing how much more they know about cameras.

-I am totally perplexed as to why people buy a camera with a floppy drive. They are bigger, heavier, more expensive and they take lower quality (higher compression) pictures to fit on the 20 year old medium.

-3 mega pixels allow to crop a wide shot into a tighter shot and still get a good print.

-I highly recommend the Nikon. I'd probably buy the same camera today if mine broke even though it's two year old technology.

Some of my photos including my 325i (reduced for the web): http://homepage.mac.com/mcmurman

-murray