Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The coolant on my 330 was low. I bought some Prestone and added it straight out of the container until the gauge was fully extended.

I probably added maybe a quart of straight anti-freeze. Interested about mixing it with water though. I've never done that.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Thought I read in Consumer Reports and some other sources that have studied the issue that starting the car up and then letting it idle for 5-10 minutes was NOT recommended. That is hard on the car. Better to just start it up and drive it gently until it warms up. Key is no jackrabbit starts, overreving, hard shifting, etc. Watch the gauges and after a few miles and minutes she'll be ready for more normal use.

One thing to remember is to NOT use the heater initially. One, you essentially just get cold air for first 5 minutes or so anyway so it isn't doing much for the front windows or interior temperature. Second, it bleeds heat from the car's engine, making it take longer to warm up.

Better solution: Dress warmly. Wear gloves. Carefully scrape windows off from outside. Never use windshield wipers to remove ice or snow. AND (most important?) buy a BMW with both heated seats and heated steering wheel! My wife is jealous of my 540i6's heated steering wheel. She wants one so bad in her 323ia. But ya can't get in 3 Series.

Go RAIDERS!
  • Options
    cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    What do people use to clean the dash, entire door, shifter area, armrest and seats? Picked up an '01 330i with leather seats and want to clean it all up. Thanks
  • Options
    nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    Do NOT mix the red/orange color (long life) antifreeze with the green color (standard) antifreeze! They are not compatible. The red antifreeze uses carboxylate chemistry to inhibit corrosion, and the green antifreeze uses the classical silicate chemistry. Even Texaco, who developed the carboxylate chemistry, will tell you not to mix them. Some manufacturers (like Ford for the engine in my Mazda pickup) specifically say not to use the red antifreeze.

I recommend that you check your owner's manual to determine which antifreeze to use. BMW uses the red, at least that is what is in my wife's 325Ci.

If you want to convert a vehicle to the red antifreeze, I would confirm that the manufacturer approves its use. Then, ensure that the cooling system is flushed thoroughly before adding the red.
  • Options
    I looked down the filler tube with a flashlight, the color seemed to be green. Can anybody confirm 02 330 has red or green anti-freeze.
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    The BMW anti-freeze that I put in is definately Green/Blue. The anti-freeze that was in there is not red!

When I bought the stuff at the dealer, I confirmed that there is only one type of anti-freeze for all BMWs (I was aware of differing types, but unfamiliar with the details).
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    The instructions also state that you should not exceed an anti-freeze/water ratio of 60:40. For only one quart, I wouldn't worry, but in the future, you will always want to dilute the stuff based on your climate conditions.
  • Options
    What do people use to clean the dash, entire door, shifter area, armrest and seats? Picked up an '01 330i with leather seats and want to clean it all up. Thanks
  • Options
    ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    Last week at 2,900 miles I noticed a persistent clunk on the 2nd to 1rst downshift when slowing for a stop sign.

Plan to call BMW soon. Any body else experience the same?
  • Options
    Check out Patrick Bedard's column in the June 2002 issue of Car & Driver. Titled "Top if up with green? Or orange? Which antifreeze?"

He talks with David Turcotte, techncial director of Zerex. Turcotte does point out that if you just drain coolant or use a hose, you might really only get up to 60 percent out. Best machines might only get 85 percent out. So as Bedard writes, "Old coolant 'hanging up' in the system is a real concern."

Bedard point out the different types "the old technology, a.k.a. 'conventional', a.k.a. 'inorganic,' is green in color" versus "one of the new types is 'organic acid technology,' or OAT. It's orange." Mentions that GM pioneered it. Ford used it in some models for a while but has since "backed away from it" and that "VW, Audi, and Porsche are OAT users, too, but most others have resisted."

Bedard then points out that there are other types. Or as he says, "most new cars use a 'hybrid' antifreeze that's formulated with both OAT and the silicate inhibitors from green. It comes in too many colors to pretend this type is color-coded."

Bedard then follows up in his July 2002 C&D column titled "Dr. Turcotte writes a few coolant prescriptions." Talks about OTR long-haul truckers using Extended Life coolant. Racers using "Racing Super Coolant". And discusses the current state-of-the-art material: G-05. It "started off as an 'exotic European fluid. VW changed to it early, followed by more companies, include Mercedes for both gas and diesel engines." In America, DC (2000) and Ford (2001) now using it as their "long life" coolant. Interesting discussion about the proper proportion of water and anti-freeze. America's 50/50 mix called "a one-size-fits-all solution" since any American car might travel to Arizona in summer and Alaska in winter.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    On the leather seats, I use Lexol leather cleaner and/or conditioner, depending on whether I'm cleaning them or just conditioning. Works great!

On the dash and door vinyl I use Vinylex, which is also a Lexol product. I use it about 4 or 5 times a year, for cleaning, otherwise I just use a damp chamois to get the dust off.

On the rest of the interior, I usually just use a damp chamois. But I keep my interior very clean. If you are needing to get dirt off, you can use any mild soap or Simple Green on a damp clean cloth. Use as sparingly as possible to remove any dirt. Then wipe with a clean water-damp cloth. Be careful if you have wood trim so that you don't scratch it.

Also check out carcareonline.com - everything you ever wanted to know is there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Who'da thought something so mundane could be a source of concern and interest. :)
  • Options
    chashoangchashoang Member Posts: 19
    There is a post on someones stringent cleaning regiment on one of the BMW forums. i'm not sure if it's in this one or in the FAQ's or problems.

Anyways, i would hate to read through all the chats again so can someone either graciously give the post number or resubmit the cleaning regiment?

This will probably help answer a lot of people's questions on cleaning and use of alternative products other than BMW stuff. thanx all.
  • Options
    I may be in the minority about the cleaning regimen. But I feel the paint job is outstanding and not fragile at all. Given that:

1. during the winter, I've been bringing the car to the soft brush car wash.
    2. I wash the car with zymol car wash in nice weather.
    3. I wax it every 3 months. If the car is gritty I'll use something like Mothers' Cleaner wax. If the car is not gritty after the wash I'll use a pure carnuba wax such as Megiuars Yellow or Kiwi.
    4. I clean the windows and chrome trim with Windex.
    5. Use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the leather as needed.
    6. Use Windex to lift grease/dirt from the carpet when needed.
    7. Vaccum frequently.
    8. I clean the underbody of the car with the hose and the wheel wells with a soft brush with dish detergent. I clean the tires with dish detergent and then put on a foam shine product.
    9. I clean the rims with dish detergent with a follow-up of Windex if needed.

That's it. Although I like my cars to look spotless, this is not an antique show car. It is a modern car with a very good paint job, that should stand up to intended uses/cleaning of the exterior.
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    WBAEW53433P
    WBA BMW AG Germany
    EW3 E46 330 Xi
    3 US Spec
    4 Dual Air Bags/Manual Seat Belts
    3 Check Digit
    3 2003
    P Regnesburg

Cannot determine build date
  • Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Thanks for your help. Car was completed yesterday and will be on peer next week awaiting its shipment to Canada.
    Jean
  • Options
    hylndr61hylndr61 Member Posts: 51
    I have the same problem with my '03 325Ci when driving in manual mode only. I have found the only way to prevent this is to come to a complete stop and pause for a couple of seconds before downshifting into 1st gear. I have yet to take this up with the service tech.

Have you experienced a whining sound coming from the drivetrain when cruising at steady speeds? This is another issue I need to have checked out.
  • Options
    needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    I'm picking up random chatter regarding the 2004 3-series. Anyone seen any pictures? Anyone know when its due in the dealers? One of the BMW dealers I was working with recently called to tell me they were lowering prices on the 2003s. I don't know if this was just a ploy to get me in or has anything to do with the new 2004s. Happy motoring.
  • Options
    dusterbusterdusterbuster Member Posts: 23
    i'd be interested in learning the same thing. i've been looking at the 2003 325i and 330i, but the 6-speed on the 2004 model sounds interesting.
  • Options
    Does anybody know the route taken by a typical BMW from the Rosslyn plant to Charleston, SC? Mine is coming from Rosslyn, and I am curious.
  • Options
    abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    So it seems like antifreeze is not so simple anymore. The manual indicates using factory approved nitrite and amino-fre extended duty antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor. Do you have to go to a BMW dealership or can this be obtained from auto stores ?
  • Options
    chaaaossschaaaosss Member Posts: 22
    http://www.bmwinfo.com/0203.html

Pictures are at the bottom of the page. While I've never cared for the new headlights, the back is really growing on me. I'd love to see a Silver Gray in person (the new color).

It's due in April.

Mind you, it's only the convertibles and coupes that are geting this facelift (to match the sedan restyling of 2003).

Someone else said they expected the base price to increase by $700.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Is the 6 speed going to be standard or part of the $4000 performance package?
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    My understanding is that all manual 2004 330 coupes get the six-speed in april, whether with the PP or not. The 330 sedans get the six-speed with the 2004 release in the fall. The 325s continue to get five-speeds across the board.

- Mark
  • Options
    soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    Just chiming in on the clunking. My 2002 330i Step clunks on occasion when coming to a stop. Seems mostly to happen when coming to a stop from a higher speed. I live in SoCal. It's not like it ever really gets cold enough for the weather to be a factor.

It's one of those things that I just noticed one day and wondered if it had always done that and I now just noticed it? Was it a new clunk? It's been awhile since I had an auto trans, maybe all auto trans clunk like this? Then I drove my wife's 318ti auto. No clunk. 2,000 miles to go to first service, I'll check into it then.
  • Options
    soverypoornowsoverypoornow Member Posts: 74
    Vkwheels, you live/work or otherwise loiter in Orange County, right? Do you know who gives loaners there? Anyone else from OC know, by chance? My wife is about to have $1,000 or so worth of work done to her ti. It kills us to have that much work done and not get a loaner.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    You wash your wheel wells with a brush!! I'm impressed. I thought I was pretty anal about washing my car, but I only spray up in there during the winter. Also, if you wash the wheels with dish detergent, you will remove the wax.
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    soverypoornow,
    I see you live in Corona. I use Savage BMW in Ontario for all my service and they are a great group. I have had no trouble making an appointment and arranging a loaner (however I have purchased 2 cars there) MOST dealers will set up a loaner car for you if you meet some or all of the following criteria (up to the individual dealers discretion)
    1. You bought the car there.
    2. The service is warrantee work.
    3. you make a service appointment well ahead of time to schedule the loaner.
    I think in general older cars even though they bring a premium dollar for service are not given preferential treatment when it comes to handing out loaners.
    If you call Savage, ask for Brian Wolverton. Tell him you got an excellent referal from the internet and he might just hook you up with that loaner.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    My SA build was shipped directly from SA to a port in Newark, NJ (I am assuming that this is because I live in DC). I believe that the ships are loaded with cars headed to a specific destination based on dealer locations.

However, due to 9/11 at the time, the ship with my car was routed to SC and came through the VPC over there. So, depending on where you are, the car will be shipped directly from SA to one of the VPC's in the East coast or the one in the West coast (not sure of this one).
  • Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    I have noticed, that BMW AC (at least on my 330ci 02), set for example at 75 during a cold morning, will not blow air until it senses that it will be warm enough to heat the car as set by the control!

This is actually, a very intelligent algorithm, as if the AC or heather starts blowing air full blast at engine start, this air will be extremely cold and actually make you feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I'm pi$%* off with BMW for making the map light buttons so cheap. They are getting stuck every time I press them, on the overhead console @#$%^&*
  • Options
    Take the gum out of them and it works much better. :) I agree on the climate control. It does a great job and I virtually never have to fuss with it.

In the summer the air blows plenty cold, in the winter it's plenty hot.
  • Options
    wateverwatever Member Posts: 7
    Today I ordered the 2003. The dealers I talked to said this was the last week to spec out what I wanted and be guaranted it could be produced exactly as I wanted it. I decided on an Orient Blue with Moonroof, Sport Pkg & Xenons. Price was $1560 off MSRP, $1250 over invoice. Figure with the price increase and probability of having to pay much closer to MSRP for the first few months it wasn't worth waiting to get a '04. Plus I get the car a month earlier !!
  • Options
    wateverwatever Member Posts: 7
    Today I ordered the 2003. The dealers I talked to said this was the last week to spec out what I wanted and be guaranted it could be produced exactly as I wanted it. I decided on an Orient Blue with Moonroof, Sport Pkg & Xenons. Price was $1560 off MSRP, $1250 over invoice. Figure with the price increase and probability of having to pay much closer to MSRP for the first few months it wasn't worth waiting to get a '04. Plus I get the car a month earlier !!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. My wife's 325Ci landed in Charleston, so I assume mine will also. My dealer said he would call me as soon as it leaves SA and tell me what ship it is on.
  • Options
    gobucsgobucs Member Posts: 17
    I have a black '02 330i sedan and I am considering tinting the windows. I have done this to other cars but I am not sure how it would look on a black car. This is my first black car.
    Does anyone have any pictures of a black 3 series with tinted windows that they care to share?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Tinted windows - I think they look cool, but check your local laws. In my state, I believe after market tinting is not allowed on the front windows.

Also the tint may keep out sun a bit, but I also think they cause a bit of the greenhouse effect in the car. And a dark car with a dark interior, watch out in the summer. Ouch!

The 5 series discussion has a couple of posts with some opinions on black cars.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Factory tinted glass (35%) can be seen on my M3 here, especially the 2nd shot in the album:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291815279

-Colin
  • Options
    I have a black '02 330i sedan and I am considering tinting the windows. I have done this to other cars but I am not sure how it would look on a black car. This is my first black car.
    Does anyone have any pictures of a black 3 series with tinted windows that they care to share?
    Thanks
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    regardless of whether you tint or not, DO NOT hit refresh again to see if anyone else has replied. ;-)

you're reposting your last message...

subscribe and then use the button to read subscriptions.

-Colin
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I hate to admit it, but my 1974 Monte Carlo had a thermal switch in the right cylinder head that deactivated the heater fan until the coolant temperature reached @120F. Ditto for my 1993 Pathfinder SE.
  • Options
    bibestbibest Member Posts: 1
    I found a 2002 330xi AWD with 14000 miles; silver, auto, sport package, moonroof, xenon, leather, 3yrs left on warranty. Quote at $35,400. What do you think of the price? Also, are the BMW 17" wheels with all seasons adequate in the snow?
    Comparing to similarly priced and similarly equipped new 2003 Audi A4 3.0 AWD.
    Regards,
    bibest
  • Options
    Just went from an '00 323 auto to an '01 330i manual. I noticed that in 5th gear on the 330i that at about 80 mph the rpms are about 3200. My 323i was about 2800-2900. Does this sound normal. Seems high but it sure does have pickup even in that 5th gear which I like.
  • Options
    cecilt1... Situation easily explained. Your automatic transmission had an overdrive 5th gear. That really drops RPMs at high speed cruising. Your manual transmission has a direct drive 5th gear. That means you often don't have to shift out of gear to pass but your engine revs a lot faster at higher speeds. (Actually the key number is the overall ratio in gear. You get that by multiplying the gear's individual ratio by the final drive ratio. Believe the two cars also have different final drive ratios.) One nice thing about the 540i6's manual transmission is that the 6th gear is overdrive with 5th being direct drive. Gets you best of both worlds.
  • Options
    Thanks. That is what I thought. You would think by having a direct drive 5th gear that gas mileage would be compromised but it seems to be as good as my old 323 auto.
  • Options
    cecilt1... Pulled out my MY2001, MY2002, and MY2003 3 Series Sedan full-color brochures. Here are the actual ratios for the non-xi's:

325i manual:
    1.00:1 5th x 3.15:1 final drive = 3.15 overall

325i automatic:
    0.74:1 5th x 3.46:1 final drive = 2.56 overall

330i manual:
    1.00:1 5th x 2.93:1 final drive = 2.93 overall

330i automatic:
    0.74:1 5th x 3.38:1 final drive = 2.50 overall

And you end up with their respective EPA fuel economy estimates of 20/29, 19/27, 21/30, and 19/27. (The 330i manual is actually the most fuel efficient according to the EPA.)

The AWD xi's have their own ratios.
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    SoVery, I haven't had the experience yet. I am sure Shelly in Buena Park gives loaners, I believe my salesman told me yes they do, but that's where I bought my car. I plan to call Crevier in Santa Ana first to try to wheedle a loaner from them when it's time. My colleague loves them. If they're not forthcoming, I'm going to go back to Shelly even though it's a bit of a drive for me. I've heard negative things about Irvine BMW, another colleague who bought a 325ci there has had nothing but trouble with both the car & the dealership. She's gotten lots of loaners from them!

Hey, speaking of service...thx to this board I knew enuf to check the oil on my new baby after 5-6k, sure nuf it required a top-off. Now I hear there's red & green anti-freeze, potentially not compatible...the knowledge base grows. Like Martha Stewart says, it's a good thing.

Bushie did well last night, even I have to say. Back to cars, Eva (that's my baby) was wonderful on a 3-day trip to Mammoth (about 700 mi. RT). What a difference driving in a BMW, fatigue wasn't even a factor. Both me & my companion noticed it. And having a large open sunroof driving through the desert at night, mmmmm-nice!
  • Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    That is impressive, at least for me!

In my brief experience, or 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse, 95 Honda Accord and 02 Honda Oddysey will blast you with cold air until the heather warms up, regardless of how high you set up the temp setting.

That is way, to me, the way the AC works on the BMW was a pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    great pics, especially the one of your instruments on the autobahn.
  • Options
    Will putting in a K&N void any of the mfr or maintenace warranty on a 330i. I've always run them in my cars but didn't on my 323 but want to on the 330. What about Dinan performance chips. Worth it? Void warranty etc. Thanks. Anyone notice a difference with either of the above. The 330 is so smooth now I wouldn't think a K&N would make much if any difference.