Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    No stopping you now in that bad boy.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    A G500? Did you check out the new Land Rover by any chance? I like the G500, but the newest Land Rover has got to be the sweetest performing off-highway vehicle I have ever seen.
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    I saw the new RR at the auto show and read the C&D review. I am not a fan of the BMW 745i style interior re; art deco, nor a fan of fully independant suspensions in vehicles with off-road intentions. I think it may be the best of the ON-road SUVs, the G500 will shame it off-road. Besides, the G500 is my third G-wagen including the G320 I drive. It is a rather addictive vehicle.
    So do you take it off road, or just for snow use? If its just for snow use, then solid axles will be a much worse choice than fully independent with good LSDs. Ive never driven an ML, a G500, or a new Land Rover....but Ive driven the old Land Rover back to back with a Jeep CJ7...and the Land Rover blew it away. At least 5 times more capable off road.

I dont see what the big deal is with solid axles. Yeah they are tougher, and they have a large suspension travel range...but the new Land Rover is mighty tough, and they have more than enough suspension travle to conquer at least moderate rock hopping.

Still wouldnt mind taking a G500 offroad though
    I will try to keep a potentially lengthy explaination short. The solid axle acts like a lever. As one wheel is pushed up the other is PUSHED down. This increases traction. With an ind suspension as one wheel is pushed up the other is unaffected, the body must lean to compress the down side wheel. More body lean and less traction are two major negatives when off-road.

I am sure the new RR is pretty capable off-road. I am sure it rides better than a G-class on the road. So for most folks it is more suited to their needs.

I have made many trips off-road in my G's. The coil sprung live axles with front and rear factory lockers make it nearly unstoppable. I like the more extreme trails, I enjoy the challenge. My 320 got a spring lift this year. It will be fully fortified by next spring with larger tires, custom bumpers, winch etc. I am pretty serious about the use of these trucks.

In the snow the new G500 should excell. It has full time four wheel drive plus a four wheel traction control system similar to the ML and an electronic stability program to prevent spins and loss of directional control. That along with its nearly 3-ton wieght make it a great snow machine. I am not sure how ind susp and LSD could improve on this.

We should also stay away from the Jeep thing. I agree with you. The best feature on a Jeep is its price, they are really just disposable toys IMO. Their fans however are much more rabid than even the Caddilac fans seen here.

I have some off-road pics of my G at http://homepage.mac.com/bwinterholm

• otcwtcherotcwtcher Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 S430 and love it. I have only had a couple of complaints and I wonder if anyone else has had these problems? First, my tires all went bald at about 22000 miles. Not that big of a deal really but I wondered if that is normal? Secondly, my A/C seems to struggle to keep cool and it doesn't seem to do a very good job, it seems like it is being blocked as the airflow is weak. Has anyone else had similar complaints? I was just curious, other than that, I love the car.
    curious...have you ever owned a Porsche 944? if so, drop me an email @ dtoone@calpoly.edu
    22k on tires is a little low. The S-Class is a fairly heavy car on woefully small tires IMO. This is probably the cause.

The A/C should freeze you right out of the car, something is amiss.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...about the 1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL? I'm considering buying one as a beater for the incredibly cheap price of $1,500. It is a very high-mileage car (215K miles). But appears to be in solid running condition w/o leaks or smoke. Cosmetically, it's in fair to good condition depending on your standards. I will most definitely ask for the service records. Is there any problems peculiar to the 1986 420SEL of which I should be aware? Could I get at least a year out of this vehicle?
  • airmaticairmatic Member Posts: 54
    Hi. I am a rather disapointed owner of a 2002 obsidian black S430, and I want to know if it is possible to take out the current system, and put in a new one in the upcomming 2003COMMAND system on the 2003 S-class. I really hate this COMMAND. My wife has a RX300, and its GPS is much better. Also, do any 2002 S-class owners have a problem with the radio. the AM stations are filled with static noise. I may have to replace the entire rear windshield. Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...is a mess, no question. Whether or not the upcoming upgrade will be backward-compatible is something that I don't think anyone in the dealer body is likely to know yet.

Bad AM reception is likely to be one of the connectors leading from the window antenna, or the amplifier. Neither requires the window itself to be replaced or dismantled. Sounds like you need to find a competent dealer.
    i have been researching on the web lately, and I have noticed that a lot of the "430" line is disapearing- fast. Like the E430/CLK430, and ML430. Does this mean that the S430 will go too? I bought my S430 several months ago, and if they (mercedes) take away the S430- i am going to be one mad person.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I believe, although I could be wrong, that the 2003 S430 will have a slight engine upgrade and become the S450 and will be the only 450 engine in the MB line. I would expect all 4 series engines to be discontinued when the all new design comes out in 2005.
    ...at any given moment is a futile exercise. The engine lineups are constantly evolving, and rarely stay unchanged for more than a few years at a time. The V8s and V6s are about to undergo major changes to accommodate a return to 4-valve heads, and eventually, direct injection. At the same time, MBUSA will no doubt juggle the North American engine choices in each chassis once again, as they have done every few years for as long as I've been paying attention [1968, if it matters].

V8s under 5 liters of displacement will still be available elsewhere, but whether or not they will be offered in the US market is another question entirely. There is the perception that the only thing that matters here is power, power, and more power...
    I just looked at edmunds.com on the current S-class, and on the future 2003 S Class link, it says "S600... S55, S500... and then S350???

"...while the base model S-Class is now the S350 thanks to a new 3.7-liter 240hp V6..."

does this only apply to European models, not US?? And only a V-6 now???
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    maybe, maybe not.....they might not bring the s350 over here, but that would a good deal. Prob only 66,000 bucks.....better deal than my e500. My msrp for that car is 68,000 with all taxes
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Man 68K for a E500(!), how so?

M
    I have ordered the E500 and my total price came to in at the high 60's as well. Part of it is state excise tax but believe me with almost all the options a la carte it adds up fast to order the auto I want. There was also an increase in the base for the E500 this model year.
    Do you have the breakdown for the base + options in general? The E500 starts at 54K and change right?

M
    54980..that is only 1 grand more..but there is gass guzzler...so it makes it 2 more grand. Plus i got 6 options...and there is lux tax, and 68,000 was with all the taxes...but still if they bring the s350 over here, that will be better
    Has anyone actually seen a 2003 E500 on the road?? I thought that they still haven't arrived in America yet. But i think I may (may) have seen a new E-class. Frankly, i think all the new mercedes sedans look the same. The S-Class, new E-class, and obviously the C-class share a lot of the same looks. I am also sad that on the new e-class, they won't be offering the one-blade windshield wiper anymore. Those were powerful. I hate those Aero blades on the 2002 S-class and new e-class. they're useless!

Also, i agree that if they bring the S350 over to the USA, it would grab a lot more potential customers from the LS430 Ultra Lux, and maybe even the 745i.

As for paying $68,000 for an E-class, in my opinion, i would get a new LS430 then, or maybe wait for the 2003 S350.
    Well...I think it would be a good idea as well. Based off how many I see on a daily basis, the old S320 sold very well.

Just make sure the dealers stock a fresh supply of authentic S600 badges, as well as badge adhesive, and badge removing chemicals. Im sure those would sell just as fast as the S350 would.
    yea, 68 thousand does sound a lot for a e-class..plus this car isnt for sportiness...its is more for luxury....so i think the s350 would meet that perfectly...just hope they bring it
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    a shiny plate put in their head, to replace the rusty on already implanted!

No, Mercedes is not watering-down their marque! Not a chance! What a joke.

whotheman
    Well, i know that they discontinued the S320, and replaced the S420 with S430. So, why would they downgrade to a 350 with a V6 engine? Sounds like they want to jack down the prices to me. Besides, unless you want the looks or simply flashy, a lot of people would choose the LS430 over the S430 or S500.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    whotheman
    forget it. that is just my opinion.
    on mbspy.com and on edmunds.com, i have seen pics of the upcomming 2003 S-class. I noticed how there is double-stitched leather over the entire dashboard, doors, where plastic used to be (reminds me of S600 or designo silver). are those pictures simply ones of a S600 model, or is that feature going to be standard on all S-class models. I have how there is so much plastic on the current s-class model (except for S600)I also noticed that the wood trim seems to be a bit darker.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'd love to see one,espically without Command,and possibly even the short wheelbase version you can get in Europe. Nothing on the Benz website as of this afternoon...
    ...waiting for any 6 cyl S in our market.
    any one here own a 2003 E320? Just stopped by a local dealership today; test drove a E320 and E500. The E500 is much smoother, but i think the 320 has better value. Don't know, tempted to get a millenium silver E320 on charcoal leather. Package with CD and Moonroof. price around $54,000. I do not want the GPS option because the salesman says it essentially the same system as in the S-class, but DVD based, so i don't have to change CD's. But, like my wife says every day, I have had way too many cars, and no room for another one (she also says that at 54 grand, I should get a LS instead [bigger]). What should I do? I have the Lexus RX300 and Benz S430? Trade in the RX? But then, I sort of like the LS430/RX300...
    Thanks for the link. Everything looks good although the pre-crash stuff reminds me of pre-crime in "Minority Report". But there seems to be one BIG glaring oversight. An in-dash CD changer!!! If they can work all the other technologies in the car it would seem this would be easy. Also perhaps a 6-speed trans is missing given BMW, Audi have them.
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    something has to be saved for the next generation S coming around 2005-06.
    The 2003 S-Class does include an in-dash CD player. The new DVD-based Nav system doesn't get here until Jan or Feb, after than the Comand slot of course will be used strictly for music CDs. What I can't understand is why the CLK and C-Class cars don't have one yet, it's 2003 for crying out loud. Sometimes I could just choke some MB execs.

M
    Me too. Especially the marketing ones.
    I knew you'd agree with that.

M
    You didn't read my post closely enough..lol...I know it has a CD player I railed about the lack of an in-dash CD changer. I can't believe it is there!
    Oh.

M
  • rockislandrockisland Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a used S-class (as compared to other makes new cars). How many years has the current body style been in effect? Any predictions on when the sheet metal might change.

Anything else to consider on buying a used S would be appreciated.
    Bet on spring 2005 as a 2006 model here in U.S. Mercedes was very conservative on the 2003 model's "facelift" so excpet the 2006 model to be a dramatic change. There is a still a good ways to go on the current bodystyle.

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I'm looking for physicians (M.D.s or DOs) who are willing to discuss their car collections with a trade magazine. If you fit the bill, please respond with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Sept. 16, 2002.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Curious, on all benz's, there is a white sticker on the bottom right that says "A MERCEDES-BENZ PRODUCT" with a signature. On my other friends 1988 300TE wagon, it says A DAIMLER-BENZ PRODUCT... I know this is a silly question, but why did they change the name from Daimler Benz Product to Mercedes Benz Product? And you are supposed to leave those on right?
    Will they ever change it to A DAIMLER-CHRYSLER PRODUCT? i hope they don't
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    There is a great layout in the current magazine. Shows alot of the future cars and present ones in all detail Tony ps there is a new gull=wing coming very soon. It looks wonderful
    They changed it because Diamler-Benz doesn't exists anymore, and they don't want "Chrysler" on Mercedes-Benz cars anywhere.

anthonycecil,

Is there an online link anywhere for that article?

M
  • vistacruiservistacruiser Member Posts: 7
    According to the following "On The Table" item in the September 11th issue of Autoextremist:

http://www.autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table

the buzz on the street is that many owners of the current S-Class are either trading in early, or terminating their leases to get out of them. The most common complaint is that the current model has been "neutered" by being stripped of any character that makes it a Mercedes. As one person was quoted saying:

"If I had wanted a Lexus I would have gone to the Lexus dealer and bought one. I've owned Mercedes for 15 years, but that one was my last."

Totally agree. Just look at the pre owned market for the new S. Never before has it been this saturated. Also my dealer says there has been a sea change in people unwilling to keep the car past the warranty period. I think this is why VW with the next Audi A8, VW Phaeton, and the 4 door Bentley MSB (S class size with A8 technology and Bentley class at around 150K) sees a real opportunity to suck away MB owners looking for something unique. I am trading a 2001 S Class for the new E500 but I may consider the A8 next year for it's uniqueness and build quality far in excess of MB right now.
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I know how you enjoy Mercedes, and I think the article will blow you away, so really try to get it. Unfortunately I do not know of a link, but even if I had one I would recomend you get the article as the pictures are first class. There will be no Lexus copies of the cars I saw. Too Mercedes to be copied. Tony ps I own Lexus, but might change if this is the future
    Ok thanks, I'll see if I can get a copy.

M
    I went to Silver-Star Motors Mercedes Benz, and boy, you should see how many S430, S500, and even a S600 are on the lot for sale as pre-owned. Never thought I could see more than approx 20-30, side-by side. I must say that the majority of them are 2000/2001 model years. Well, as I own a S430, i am worried about the new S-class model comming out, because I am envious about how refined the interior looks now, compared to the 2000-2002 models. i wish that MB made a wood-steering wheel for the S430 calyptus woodtrim.

I went last week on a trip to Lexus, and they ofcourse, said that there would not be a LS500 , or they hadn't heard any news about it (they said that about the LS430), so, that must mean yes.
This discussion has been closed.