Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    We actually have the Safe Embrace II seat. I know it has the top tether, but don't recall seeing anything for the LATCH hookups, nor additional belts, etc.

I suppose I can look at Toys R Us the next time we're there and see if they have 'em. No biggie though, since we haven't gotten the MPV yet anyway! ;)

-Brian
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    You have to buy the LATCH "tether" separately, or at least we had to ($13 from F-P). Britax has a retrofit also, but I don't know if it's cross-compatible. basically, the part you'd need consists of a strap w/ the connectors to attach to the LATCH receiver (on both ends) and a tightening mechanism. this slips through two holes cast into the body of the child seat.

/java
  • Options
    Well, if that's the case, then we're ok, or at least should be ok provided that they still sell the LATCH tethers for the fisher price seat. I'm actually anxious to use the top tether in our Outback in a few months when our baby girl turns 1!

We're still trying to figure out how to swing a deal. We're basically even on our trade (worth what we owe). Of course, we haven't had it appraised by the dealer yet, just going off the low values of kbb.com and edmunds. And with the weather as cold as it was last night (-6 degrees!), the car is quite filthy, inside & out. It's supposed to warm up a bit mid-week, so I'm going to try to get it cleaned up (can't hurt). We also have a CarMax nearby that I could try.

I'm thinking we'll probably end up holding off a couple of months though on a MPV. Maybe there will be a new incentive offering by then. But, again, we'll see how it goes on Saturday.

-Brian
  • Options
    j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    I thought you were asking if there was a retrofit to the MPV seats (putting the 2002 ISOFIX anchors into a 2001 or earlier model). Man, I'm out of it. Does anyone know if it's possible to have the ANCHORS retrofitted? Thanks for the reminder about the Britax seat retro's.

We traded in our '98 Outback for our '01 MPV. All I can say is shop around. One dealer was only willing to give us about $2K BELOW TMV. The dealer we bought from gave us $2K OVER TMV for the Subie, Dealer Invoice on the MPV, $1500 rebate, and 4.9% financing for 48 months. I ended up buying the van for less than my '93 Miata in October '93! I hated to see the Subie go (still miss it sometimes), but the MPV was too good of a deal to pass up.
  • Options
    our Subie, and trade (or sell) our Saturn SL (her car).

I just did a Edmunds TMV on it and that shows a higher number than kbb did. I thought the kbb figures were always the inflated numbers? The Edmunds number was about $1k more than the kbb number.

-Brian
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As a general rule, I'd say you're right. Here's a recent story that talks about KBB vs TMV:

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    I read that yesterday too after my findings. So, which one is correct (or more correct) then?

-Brian
  • Options
    lol, we are of course!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    I do believe that there is not a way to retrofit a vehicle's seat to have LATCH anchor points, short of replacing the seat itself. Does anyone have any information to illuminate us on this? The systems are wonderful, imho. LATCH basically negates the use of the car's seatbelt, which would allow you to slide the slide-by-side seat around, as well as front/back as needed. I'm sure pricing out second-row seats from a 2002 van would be insanely expensive :-(

Basically what subearu needs is the LATCH straps from F-P. I'll search for those subearu.

/j
  • Options
    ... that it would be that tough, Java. My guess is that the seat architecture didn't change and the LATCH anchors are simply bolted onto the seat frame. If that's the case, there may be some cutting involved - worst case the seat would have to be uncovered then recovered. Just curious because as you say, the LATCH anchors increase the seat functionality.
  • Options
    ...reveals that VW/Audi offers seat retrofit kits for LATCH. Other manufacturers don't currently offer retrofits - perhaps they're concerned about lawsuits? Anyway, anyone have any idea whether the parts can be ordered through Mazda?
  • Options
    that it could be done, if a manufacturer (i.e. VW/VAG) offers the parts. Some folks have discussed doing this in their Volvos, as the newer models have LATCH and they can basically just switch the seats. I doubt it would be difficult to retrofit, but as you said, it might come down to the concern over lawsuits. I'd hate for my retrofitted seat to fail, that's for sure.

Found a number of LATCH straps, available on babysrus.com that could work. I always see a disclaimer that says not to use another maker's brand of strap with another's seat. Funny, the on I have for my kid's seat looks just like the one from Cosco, but says F-P on it. Hmmmmmm. Shoot, no reqcon in my post.

/j
  • Options
    Our data guys reviewed the numbers and insist we are correct. Sell it yourself :).

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Ummm - can we clarify here that the MPV does not come with the Latch attachments in the seat to work with Latch compatible child safety seats. (In other words both the car and the child safety seat must both have the Latch system and the MPV does not offer that). I am a little confused by the above posts and latch tethers and such since I don't think any part of the Latch system can be used with the MPV. I saw the Latch part on a VW Bug and it was a steel bar that came out of the seat crack to attach to.

The Fisher Price Safe Embrace II is a Latch compatible seat and the 'regular' Safe Embrace that I have is not. Fisher Price has stopped making car seats is why it is now discontinued and not because of a recall. That is unfortunate because it is a great seat with extra safety features (and it works great in the MPV).
  • Options
    according to literature, the 2002 MPV does come equipped with LATCH in the seats (I assume 2nd row at least), although as I've yet to see a 2002 MPV, I can't say I've eyeballed them. But, otish is correct the 2000 and 2001 MPV does NOT come with LATCH capability. Subearu's shopping for a 2002. J2k is pondering a retrofit opportunity, which would be cool, but I think I understand the risks there. Otish, you are correct that both the child seat and the vehicle's seats have to be equipped with LATCH gear to use this feature.

Thx about the info on the Safe Embrace's demise. I was hoping I hadn't missed out on a recall, esp. since I like the sturdiness of the seat's design, and my kids call them NASCAR seats. I've got two of them in fact, and will have to keep them for the next rugrat.

/j
  • Options
    has the LATCH hook thingys in the seat where the seat bottom meets the seat back. I believe they're black colored. I think I started this whole thread just because I wanted to know if they made LATCH straps for seats without 'em, like the Safe Embrace II's we have.

babiesrus.com has the retro latchs thingy - cool! thanks again Java!

Wow Steve, I'm flabbergasted! If we can get the private party price for it, that makes getting into a '02 MPV that much easier! Anyone interested in a '97 Saturn SL? ;)

-Brian
  • Options
    ...behind the thread; you just got my wheels turning. It just got me thinking - the MPV seats weren't redesigned from 01 to 02, so perhaps in addition to the Child Seat Adapters that are available from the Child Seat Manufacturers, there might be a kit from the Vehicle Manufacturer to retrofit the Vehicle Seats. Does that clear it up? :O)

If the parts aren't orderable, anyone have an idea on how Mazda can be influenced to follow VW's lead?
  • Options
    otishotish Member Posts: 59
    I didn't realize the 2002 had the Latch system but it makes sense. Now if the 2002 came in red with the GFX I might really want one. My husband says I don't need all that engine power anyway so my 2000 is a keeper for awhile!
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I have been taking my MPV to Jiffy Lube for oil changes but their prices have gone ballistic - plus they wouldn't let me in the pit with the oil guy anymore...
    So, I took my '01 red MPV, with Motocraft filter in hand, to my Toyota dealer (I have a Sienna) for an oil change (they are $10 cheaper than anyone else). I pull up with red "Honda" seat belt shoulder pads (couldn't find red Mazda pads). The service guy stares for a minute...I say "you've never seen this Toyota, Mazda. Honda group experimental before?". He knew I was messing with him but for a minute there....
    About four mechanics in the service area (remember, this is a LARGE Toyota dealer) looked it over - inside AND outside. "Cool" was overheard.
  • Options
    tomandmertomandmer Member Posts: 1
    (Please forgive me if this has been asked -- I can't figure out if there is a way to search the archives.)

Does anyone know if it is possible to have child seat tether anchors installed for the *rear* (third) seat in the 2000 MPV? We already have added the two tether anchors behind the middle seats, but are now expecting our third child, making three 3 or under (yes, pray for us :-), -- and would like to be able to tether all three car seats.

Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    If anyone's interested, there's a few MPVs on ebay right now.

One's a RED 2000 ES with GFX, and it looks loaded... item # 1811508386

Another's a 2001 white LX... Item # 1811469197

Also, there's a six-disk changer for sale... item # 1811778953

/j
  • Options
    You'll love this -
    There's one dealership in town that sells Mazda & Kia's.
    I'd be curious which one moves faster.
  • Options
    There should be one tether anchor for the center position of the rear seat pre-installed. It's on the back wall of the "bin" for the fold-away seat. Look for a plastic circle - it looks a little like a fastener, but it's really a cover for the anchor.
  • Options
    mpvlemon1mpvlemon1 Member Posts: 2
    Wife still loves her 2000 MPV LX with 30k miles when it runs. You can eat off the floors inside and is hand washed regularly. I unfortunately am concerned for the number of times it is in the shop and has left her with the kids stranded.

Once out of state after church (visiting Grandma) when she had to rent a car to come home (200 miles away) so the kids would not miss school the next day. We had to pay for the rental $100, but Mazda in their gracious ways paid to tow the van to the local dealer 15 miles away. The wrecker driver, my father in law (electrical engineer) and my wife could not start it. Mazda found nothing wrong with it the next day and refused to give us a receipt for the diagnosis.

It has stalled in intersections with less than 200 miles on it. The said it was the fuel at first and made us feel like idiots, but after pressing them they just learned of a recall on the computer.

Mazda's standard first response several times is "did you put diesel in it and we will have to lower the tank to verify it". Hey we are morons and like pulling up to a pump on the other side of a filling station, hanging with the 18 wheelers, putting a wrong size nozzle in the tank and paying a premium for fuel. They have replaced the computer (their expense) and throttle body (our expense not covered under warranty).

We looked at the Odyssey, but as we drove an Accord Wagon previously, the Odyssey seemed too big. Should have bought the Honda. They stand behind their product as we had Hondas from 1988 to 2000 without being stranded.

Anyone else have these problems?
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    "...and throttle body (our expense not covered under warranty)."

Why did you have to pay for that?

me thinks this guy is a moron but I will keep my comments semi private until I know for sure
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Okay, a few thoughts on my 01 MPV. Why is the glovebox so low,couldn't it have been raised up on the dash?
    Why does the MPV have the largest dashboard in the world?
    I have never seen such a tight engine compartment,how did they fit a bigger engine in there for 2002?
  • Options
    The 3.0L Duratec is vurtually identical to the 2.5L on the outside, IIRC. I always was under the impression that the glove compartment was being dictated by the airbag, but I could be wrong.

cheers,

/java
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Why does the MPV have the largest dashboard in the world?

Hehehe...I seem to recall that the Chevy Lumina APV held that distinction.
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Same engine block, bigger bore.

Outside dimensions are essentially the same. (For the block anyway)

The intake rises up a bit more in the 3L models compared to the relatively flat intake of the 2.5L

TB
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    10,000 posts about Mazda Protege's Sedans....

Can we post 200 messages today at the Mazda Protege Sedan Board and break the 10,000 mark? Folks, I know we can! Every regular needs to post today! Come on Mazda MPV owners help us out. We need to stay kinda on topic, however. Please come over and help us break 10,000 posts on Friday 3/22/01!!!!

A sincere thank you in advance.

-Larry
  • Options
    Gee, my Mom is driving an '84(?) Protege, so maybe I should come over. Are there donuts?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    ... I doubt the donuts are fresh, let alone the coffee. ;-) They are a happy crew over there though!

/j
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Please stop buy! We need a 100 more!
  • Options
    msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    The one the wrecking yard sent me was a 92! Sheesshh it was right in front of them on the email that I needed a 2000. I really don't want to pay retail of $144 bucks. Anyone have a good source??
  • Options
    Well, they say bad luck comes in threes, so maybe you're safe now. Is that the mirror glass or th entire thing that you're needing?

/j
  • Options
    The entire thing! Once last year while backing out she pulled it with the jamb of the garage. I got it kinda back in place with some contractors putty! lol. Hey it worked! But now they have to strip the passenger door and I figure it's easier for them to fix it than me. Plus I don't have to pay them just swap out the mirrors.
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    If I can pull off a "midnight requesition" at the local Mazda store.

J/K

TB
  • Options
    Try this: Mazda Recycling or call them at 1-877-280-3100. I've had good luck w/these guys b4 and they listed a 2000 MPV being parted out a couple of weeks ago.

/j

• Options
    They are the ones that sent me the 1992 mirror!
  • Options
    Well, so much for them I guess. Knowing that, they just lost points in my book. Sorry John, maybe Tb will five-finger one for you during some nocturnal shopping. lol

/j
  • Options
    scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    Geez msgjvh, sorry to hear about your MPV misfortunes. I've got a big gash in my passenger side mirror on our MPV. My 83-year-old neighbor across the street has one of these indestructible, log-cabin type mailboxes which sticks out way too far into the right of way. I've hit that darn thing with both my cars now. The first time was in my Accord. I just so happened to be on my way to the body shop to get an estimate on my front bumper after some *person* backed into me with their junker urban assault vehicle over the xmas holiday. Our driveway meets the street at an angle, about 120' one way, and 60' the other. Since there was a garbage truck blocking my normal egress, I chose the tighter angle, and CLUNK! .... a nice new dent in my trunk lid.

A couple weeks ago, I was returning from home depot in the MPV and decided to back into the driveway, which means I have to drive beyond it. There was a car coming the other way, forcing me way over to the right. As I passed my neighbor's mailbox, THWACK! My mirrors are exactly the same height as his mailbox. I guess it's good that modern day mirrors fold back; otherwise I think that crazy mailbox would've pulled off the entire door while remaining unscathed!

SC
  • Options
    I think that mailbox would have come up missing in the wee hours of the morning if it was assaulting my MPV that way. Like, take it for a ride somewhere....
    :))
  • Options
    ... but I seem to remember a strapping young 17-year-old getting into some SERIOUS trouble with the authorities regarding some highly-distilled spirits and about 35 mailboxes (who? me? naaaa! couldn't be!)

My fuel door parts FINALLY came in. I think they had to go out and mine the iron ore or something :(

SC
  • Options
    Refugees from the now frozen Mazda MPV 3.0L V6 discussion.

On another housekeeping matter, we have a "models before 2000" MPV board - wouldn't it be simpler to rename this main one "Mazda MPV" so newcomers could find it easier? Any objections?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    My vote is to keep the pre 2000 and post 2000 MPV seperate. We are talking about two different versions here - model style, engine, etc.
  • Options
    ...if it matters, I too think we should keep them <2000 and >2000 as they really are different animals.
    /java
  • Options
    Sorry, let me rephrase that.

1. Keep the Mazda MPV (models before 2000) discussion.

2. Rename this discussion Mazda MPV (so that newcomers scrolling down the list of topics will notice it, instead of having to find MY2000+ MPV among 7 other "MY" topics).

Still clear as mud?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Very cool ... I vote as uncle bob and javadoc above. I might be pushing it, but I wouldn't even mind seeing the problems board moved over here too. I'd contend that everybody here follows both threads, plus that's a pretty slow board since the MPV has proven very reliable!

PS: I'm familiar by now with all those board maneuvering techniques you mentioned, heck I even took your last suggestion and now paste any lengthy post (which I'm in danger of doing here if I don't get to the point!) into a Word doc just prior to posting. That way I can save my *nose* just in case. I like the F5 key &#145;cause it&#146;s faster for refresh, but I'll try to refrain. I left that last post in there for effect !

Java, yes the "sticky finger key" syndrome is hard to get rid of after the 10K post extravaganza last week on the Protege board! I noticed you had it that day too LOL!

BTW Steve, if you combined all three boards AND accumulated their post counts into one, we'd have over 5,000 posts! Yeah! Let's GO team! ...7,000 posts by year-end! he-he

SC - on his fourth Coca-Cola of the morning
  • Options
    oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Call this one MPV 2000+ and call the other MPV 1999-
  • Options
    oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Do new MPVs arrive at the dealer with plastic protective tape like the honda's do?