Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    Are you talking about a traditional 2nd mortgage or a HELOC? Keep in mind that closing costs associated with a 2nd mortgage will be similar to a primary mortgage, except for taxes and escrow. Shop around well for the lowest costs and least amount of *fluff* fees. The HELOC, on the other hand, is a variable rate loan, usually based on the prime rate. I am in the process of getting one of these now - no closing costs, sub 5% rate, various payment options, no pay-off restriction, tax-deductible. The 2nd mortgage option would probably be better for a vehicle purchase since it's fixed-rate. Another option would be to totally refinance your current home loan. If your current rate is 3/4 to 1 point higher than today's rate, and you have sufficient equity to go an extra $25K or so, you could take the excess cash out and purchase the vehicle outright. We did this last year and were able to take $30K out for home improvements. We reduced our rate by 7/8%, dropped the PMI, and ended up with the exact same monthly payment as before.

However, I think that any type of home loan for a vehicle purchase is not a good idea. Sure, it’s tax-deductible and could yield a lower overall rate, but there are ugly strings attached. If you were not able to pay the 2nd loan, you would be responsible for the entire loan balance. We all know how much a car depreciates. Also, the car wouldn’t just simply be repossessed and your problems go away with it. In reality, the problems are just beginning. The lender will call the lien and possibly take away your home too. IMHO, it’s not worth the risk. Home loans should be used to add equity and appreciation to your home in the form of improvements. If you decide to go with a home equity loan, make absolutely sure you’re dealing with a known, reputable lender. There are unscrupulous folks out there would love nothing more than to have your home.

Just my .02

SC
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Did you see the Kia Sedona 5mph tests? The rear damage went over $1000. The front impact test at 5mph deployed the air bags which cracked the dash and cracked the windshield. From the pictures it looked like the airbag door flipped up and did the windshield damage. The total ran over $1400 as I recall.
    The people on the Sedona post are probably quite upset to say the least. The last post I read is that Kia can adjust (computer?) something to come more in line with deploying the front bags at a more reasonable impact speed. Kia seemed to respond to the owners well.
    I'm not exactly a Kia fan but wish them luck anyway.
  • Options
    samk3samk3 Member Posts: 7
    subie, i should be getting the metallic sand color. they are looking for one now. wife made color choice. i'm ok with sand but i leaned more towards silver, black, or blue. she disliked the shade of gray leather (too light) which eliminated, of course, several exterior colors. of those w/beige interior, in her words, white = "breadbox", black = "weird black, looks like it has some green in it". didnt like the others.

i am getting 4 seasons based on your advice & others. i'm in NE. also getting....moon, luggage rack, fog, spoiler, & bumper plate. unfortunately, i'm also getting 6 disc. all ES's with (i think) roof have them. district co guy confirmed. i've experienced this w/other makes.
  • Options
    bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Scarter,
    I'm sure there is room for disagreement here, but it seems like the risk is pretty small. One thing, if you buy a vehicle with a home equity line of credit, then guess what, you get to keep the title. I don't care how much it depreciates, you can always sell it and have that cash on hand to make payments until a job comes along, or whatever. (Of course, this doesn't work if it is your only vehicle.) If it got really bad, you could sell your house...if it had enough equity to get a loan from it, then chances are you will be OK. Worst case, you never find a new job, etc, or your wife can't work, then losing your house will be the least of your worries, eating will probably top that list!!

IMHO...if you can do it, a home equity line of credit is a good way to go. Unless disaster strikes immediately, there is really no down side. Of course, if you can get 0%-3.9% financing from the dealer, go for it. In the long run, it is how much money you can save. No matter what financing you go with saving money is the objective. No reason to pay more to a dealer finance group just because to don't want to risk losing your house. There are a dozen steps you can take before the risk of that happening. Just my humble opinion. Use whichever financing saves you money!!
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Mortgage is a good way to go when purchasing a car. When I finished my basement, I took out a 2nd Mortgage, no fees incurred or appraisals with my current mortgage company, since I had 50% equity in my home. Most owners, not all, should have enough equity to cover the 2nd Mortgage and not default on their loan.
    Owning a NEW car(MPV) is a luxury, paying the mortgage(roof over your head),heat, electric and food are necessities. No one forces people to buy a new car and dig themselves deeper in debt. In fact, buying a new car was the last item added to our budget and would be the first to go if I couldn't make the payments. I believe maxing my 401K, college savings for the 2 rugrats, Life ins for me and the Mrs. come long before a car payment.
    Didn't mean to ramble, JMO. Or just do what I did.......buy a Protege for 0% for 48.

Pjd58
  • Options
    ... maybe I've been watching too many primetime news journals! Home equity loans can serve a useful purpose like home improvement, debt consolidation, college tuition, and yes, I suppose even purchasing a vehicle. From a strictly money saving viewpoint, it could make financial sense to flex the muscle of your equity to obtain a better rate. However, as others have mentioned above, rates as low as 5.9% for 72 months are available. My CU offers the same rate. I follow the rates regularly and I don't think you can find a 2nd mortgage under 5.9%. HELOCs are somewhere in the mid to upper 4% range, but since they are variable, they will go up. IMO, rates will start climbing from this point onward. Anyway, I just think that a lot of people jump into one of these loans too easily without thinking about the ramifications. I agree that I may have been a little gloomy about getting your home taken away, but the fact remains that it happens all the time. I guess it's a very personal decision ...

SC
  • Options
    Bob, what rock have you been hiding under ? You didn't go back down to Padre Island did you? It does seem like the Sedona vs. MPV board got very quiet ;)

SC
  • Options
    zoommiesterzoommiester Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Just got back from a 200 mile road trip in our new MPV LX (had for two weeks). What is there not to like about this van! The seats are extremely comfortable, I'm 6'2", the ride is car-like and the gas mileage is great. Not to mention all of the craning of necks by passers by to check out this minivan that, IMHO looks awesome :).

The real test comes next month, when we travel to DisneyWorld from Missouri. Can't wait to let all of you know about that trip.
    Ciao
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    wow ! Sand color is my favorite as well & what I got.

unfortunately, one of my power sliding doors is not working, i am trying to fix that.

krish
  • Options
    mp18mp18 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, this is my first post and it was interesting reading all the comments about the MPV. I have driven the ES and am thoroughly impressed with the engine power and the handling. The clever design perks - such as the Tumble Under seat (they had it before Honda even BUILT an Odyssey) and the roll down windows - always made it the "best kept secret". Now with the new power, it is mainstream! Way to go Mazda. I also want to comment on Kia's crash tests. I must commend Kia and Hyundai for coming a long way in a short time. They have quite a reputation to overcome. That is why Kia worked so hard on entering the minivan market with a bang - so to speak. By beefing up their van (it is built like a truck and weighs in like one too) they scored extremely well on the Gov't crash tests - FOR CABIN DEFORMATION AND INTRUSION. That was their goal to show the consumers they have a safe vehicle and they caught attention for surpassing other minivan scores. However....those same design characteristics which allowed it to score so highly on those first tests are the same which cause it to score poorly on the repair cost test. Think of a race car crashing - the more pieces go flying, the more energy dissipated, therefore the driver is safer. Anyway, crash testing for the gov't is always a compromise, and I think there is no such thing as BAD vehicle on the market - just one that suits our pocketbook and tastes more than another. Anyway, sorry for the novel......carry on...
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    I have had this issue with both my 00 MPV & 02 MPV.

Rear wiper does not wipe all the way, you will have to manually pull the wiper, then it will do it for a while & then you will to pull it again.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Happy Easter to All!

God Bless,
    Larry
  • Options
    nikandnecnikandnec Member Posts: 2
    have been trying to decide on a minivan for abt 6 months gave serious consideration to the t&c ex. but i think the pluses of the mpv far outweigh the few advantages of the t&c. got a lx with security,roof rack,carpets,rear air, $100.00 below invoice. 57 miles so far. i know i made the right choice.
    thanks to all for the info
  • Options
    No - I'm at home. Spent all my money - just go down to the end of the driveway now...
    Took the wife's Toyota out Saturday night because the MPV was clean and it was raining - she caught that...
    Haven't posted anything on that Kia/MPV site. I troll the Sedona site just to see how they're doing. They have been pretty good about going through the new Kia van and passing the info around. After Kia gets all their kinks worked out they may have a fairly good van - MP18 said it well. Boy, am I in a nice mood. (They still can't beat the MPV tho.. :))
    Well, I have pushed a few buttons on an individual on a sludge and Sienna topics but that just ended up everyone taking sides so I quit doing that.
    Ah..content. I'm thinking, I'm thinking. The ..nevermind.
  • Options
    bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I am the last person to defend the Odyssey, but unfortunately a statement you made was inaccurate. The original Odyssey (the tiny van with 4 normal doors) actually had the same folding rear seat. I believe started making it in 1995 or 1996. It never got the press attention because it was so small and had the normal 4 doors. But it did have the folding rear seat!!
  • Options
    stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    Edmunds shut down the Sludge forum since they thought it was getting too overheated. It seems to polarize people pretty quickly into those who think Toyota walks on water and those who think they've been had by just another car company.

I don't believe in taking chances with my MPV or any vehicles. I follow the severe conditions for all of my vehicles (stop-and-go big city traffic) and also use synthetic for easy starting on those occasional -20 deg Toronto winter mornings. I should use a block heater but I'm too lazy to put a power block outside the house.

The great thing about the Duratec is that it is a proven performer.

How do the rest of you folks deal with oil changes - frequency and dino v. synth?
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    Hi you all,

I have been monkey around with a CD changer in my 02 MPV and by accident I inserted one of my MP3 CDs recorded on a PC. To my amazement CD started playing automatically.

Do all CD players in Mazdas play MP3s?

MB
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    What?!? Your changer played a CD full of mp3s? I've noticed that the CD players will play CDs that I've burned from mp3 to cd-audio format. Is this what you mean, or were they on mp3 format? If it played mp3s, that'd be awesome!

/j
  • Options
    I know that a lot of the guys here use synth and change it themselves, plus throw a K&N filter on while they're at it. Me, I just take my cars to Valvoline IOC <<hearing murmurs in the crowd!>>. I've had very good luck with them for about four years now. I make sure they put in the right oil and I watch them like a hawk. I would change it myself, but I just never seem to have the time with our hectic schedules. I'm a stickler on the 3K mile interval, even though I've read it *may* not be required. I figure if I use dino that I should change it more often. If I were to switch over to synth, I would really want to change it myself to help offset the additional expense. However, if I have to change it less frequently, the cost issue may not be a factor. I suppose I'll have to do the math .....

SC
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Honda may be the first to put it in a Van, but large "domestic" station wagons had them for years before Honda even thought of making minivans.

TB
  • Options
    mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    My 2000 LX gets Mobil 1 synthetic every 5000 miles with either a PureOne or Mobil 1 filter. I use 10w30 because of our warm Florida climate. At 15,000 I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid and am getting smoother shifting w/o nearly as much of the kick down into a lower gear when going up inclines or turning corners. I also added a K&N air filter, but noticed very little effect on mileage or performance. Now that the MPV is thoroughly broken in with 23,000 miles I am consistently getting 18-19 mpg around town and 23-24 mpg on the highway.
    It also feels fairly peppy w/o the ac, so unlike some MPV owners, I also am happy with the 2.5 liter Duratec engine.
  • Options
    oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    I am hoping they offer 1.9% for 3 years, that along with S-plan, I will saying bye-bye to a 95 Quest, and hello ZOOM ZOOM. Any thoughts on what we will see come 4-2-02, 8:00 AM EST???
  • Options
    Were there any perceptable changes to the tranny feel when you switched to synth?

I'm not that concerned with MPG myself, I can save money by timing my fillups to Saturday at a local station. The $/litre difference on a Saturday to a Monday can be a nickel per litre.

My wife is quite happy with the MPV on the highway, it cruises well at the 140k/h range. More low-end torque would be nice, but I know its a van not a sports car. I can beat any van out their with the 2.5 Duratec in my Mystique if I needed to race. I do like the handling of the MPV, as it feels more carlike than most vans I have rented on travels.
  • Options
    That would be sweet. Let us know if the CD had only .mp3 files. If so, try some Windows Media Player formats also and let us know if it handles that also.

I've had problems with some older vehicles not playing CD-R audio CDs. The factory head in my 98 Mystique couldn't make up its mind; some days it played them, more often it coughed them up. The Blaupunkt Munchen I put in plays everything CD-R and CD-RW.

I've only used CD-R audio in my 2000 MPV. I'll take a chance one day on audio CD-RW, but I don't use CD-RW often.
  • Options
    I noticed the same people who got shut out of the "sludge" site now are doing the same on the Sienna post. They got off the subject so many times with speculations, rumors and "experts" that the site became bogged down in personalities.

Oh yeah, the oil...
    I was having my oil changed at Jiffy Lube a while back with Pennzoil 10W30 and their generic filter every 3K miles. They cringed when I came in because I wanted to see the oil that came out and verify the filter was changed etc.
    I have been taking our Sienna into the dealer for oil changes (3K miles). I noticed a few months ago their prices are lower than Jiffy so I bring my own filter (Motocraft FL820-S) and they change the oil and install the filter for ~ $10 less - and they let me watch them too (what a pest...). I'm using their Castrol GTX - I think it's also 10W30 but will check next time. I mentioned this before but the first time I took it to the Toyota dealer it drew a crowd of their mechanics.
    The MPV doesn't use a drop of oil (neither does the Sienna). I popped the hood yesterday and wiped off the dust from the engine, etc., and noticed no oil, grease gum, or splatters anywhere - real clean @ 23K miles.
  • Options
    Blast! Wife drove off b4 I could load an mp3-laden cd into the changer to see if it worked! Curses, foiled again! ;-)

/j
  • Options
    matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    Just want to verify you have a 2002 with the 6-disc changer right?
  • Options
    matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    I read your review on the 2002 MPV & noticed you wanted a mirror with Compass & Temp.

I found a nice parts web site at an Alabama Mazda Dealer that had very reasonable prices. (Prices seemed to match dealer invoice listed in the TMV exactly - just needed to add S & H ) The mystery dealer is located somewhere in & about the town of Trussville, AL. <- should help you find their website without blatently violating Town Hall policy. ;-)

I found a mirror looking at the 626 parts avail - part #0000-8C-A07 seemed to be close. When I call the 800 # they found a 2nd version #0000-8C-B07 (I believe) for B-Series Pick-ups that isn't on the site. I decided to take a chance and the B-Series pickup version. Appears to have all the features you are looking for and looks like it will fit in the MPV. Mine came in the mail 2 weeks ago & I will let folks know how well the mirror 'upgrade' went.

All I need is a warm day to try and install. Mother nature seems to love April 1 - as she decided to send snow our way - again!

Mat
  • Options
    husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Oldstyle,

I am also anticipating the new numbers. I was all set to buy a Sedona last week until I learned I was part of the Partnership Recognition Program. That alone makes the MPV cheaper than the Kia I wanted.

Actually, there is no such thing as the Kia I wanted. I wanted ABS without leather or sunroof, but unless you are in Canada, there is no such thing. We were forced to consider a fully loaded Sedona. To us, leather is a minus, not a plus.

We thought the MPV was great but to expensive. With the s-price and a decent rate, it should even the field.

Come on 0.0% (ha,ha)!
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    they had 0% on the MPV all last month.

maybe you were hoping for a longer term? haha
  • Options
    There are car stereo systems available now that are capable of playing mp3s burned onto a CD. It's pretty new stuff, so I doubt the players in the '00-'01 MPVs will do it. I've never tested an mp3 CD in our '01 single-disk player, but I already know that it will only play CD-R burned disks with .wav files. It won't play .wav files on a CD-RW disk. That leads me to believe that it won't read mp3-CDs either. Perhaps Mazda is using the latest technology in the &#146;02?

SC
  • Options
    Scarter, you are probably correct, since mp3 head units have only been on the market a short time. I'll have to try it out tonight. If it does read an .mp3 CD, then I could put entire artist collections on a CD. That'd be cool, but I won't hold my breath.

As an aside, I just installed my changer this weekend and noticed that on the back of the radios (both single and 6disk) there's a plug module on the right side (by the antenna) that isn't used. Any1 have a clue what that may hook up to? Maybe this interfaces w/the RSES, which I don't have.

/j
  • Options
    Sorry guys.... javadoc, stevecanuck and others that was April 1st message :-))))

matluoma.. thanks for the mirror info. I will look at it for sure.

MB
  • Options
    I have a little Samsung portable MP3/CD player that plugs into my Blaupunkt in the Mystique. 700 minutes of music on a CD is great.

Now in a 6 disc player I could put an entire decade's worth of good music. More if it was the '80s.

What I need is a little FM broadcaster for my MP3 portable for when the MPV has too much kid's music pre-loaded. Or Brittany Spears CDs. Brrrr.

Mazdaguy. Good one. rotfl
  • Options
    I've been had!!! You're on my list M_G.. lol

Very nice play!

/j
  • Options
    sillyappasillyappa Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know or heard whether Mazda plans to put discs on all four wheels in 2003 instead of the drums in the back on the current models? I called Mazda, but they did not know. I'm pretty close to buying the MPV, but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting another six months to get the '03 model if it's going to get disc brakes at all four corners. Thanks!
    PS: I also posted this same question on the MPV vs. Odyssey board.
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Post something over on the Problems board. I think it's feeling neglected.

;>

RJ
  • Options
    bobg16bobg16 Member Posts: 4
    I am finally ready to take the plunge and get my new MPV. How do I get S-Plan pricing? Can I simply tell the dealer I want it. Do all dealers go along with this. Or is Costco maybe the better plan. I will have cash no trade deal. San Francisco bay area.
  • Options
    Your wish is my command...

/j
  • Options
    If it is only the brakes that you are concerned with then IMO it is not worth of waiting for 03. Brakes are very good in 02 MPV.

MB
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Good question! Never heard any plans on 4 wheel discs on the MPV. Mazda does have 4 wheel discs on a few of their cars.....Protege ES for one. Most performance cars, not all, seem to have 4 wheel disc more often than not. I rate the braking ability of the MPV better than average.

Mazda Guy: Very good job.....lololol. Knowing Java, expect 100 Domino's Pizzas at your door in 30 minutes or less..hehehe.

Pjd58
  • Options
    bobg16, the S-plan you can get only through your employer. In fact, you have to have your own personal PIN number that you have to give to the dealer.

MB
  • Options
    Rear Discs... I don't think they'd really help all that much on a minivan, although it's a nice mktg tool. Almost all of the braking work is done by the front brakes due to the facts that 1)at rest, the van is weight-biased to the front; and 2) when you hit the brakes the rest of the weight of the van gets transferred to the front of the car (one of Newton's laws). The brakes on the MPV are already stellar. I'd say best in class, but I haven't done a fair comparison yet.

Mazda Guy, is that your doorbell? LOL

/j
  • Options
    Yep, I just heard doorbell. Must be Pizza coming

MB
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Any word yet on what the new incentives are? There are so many MPV's on the dealers' lots that I'd be amazed if Mazda didn't come out with some nice offer. They really need to help move those minivans...
  • Options
    angelo15angelo15 Member Posts: 4
    dulnev, I have noticed the same thing. A lot of vans in the dealerships. Though when I call to get pricing, they like to tell me that they are selling really good. I don't understand these mind games! I will just keep calling until I find the right price.

Does anyone know if Mazda is still giving incentives for returning customers. I received a letter in the mail last year asking if I wanted to trade my 98 626 they would give me additional money. I would like to know if anyone else has received this same type of letter.
  • Options
    I was quoted $50 and $80 over invoice at two dealerships for a silver LX with luxury, roof, step plate and dual air.

Is this pretty good or should I be getting a better deal.
  • Options
    Just heard from my dealer and there are no changes. In MO, it is 0.0% for up to 24 months and 5.9% up to 60 months.

Thought they would be better given the lagging sales.

Anybody have comments on my $50 over invoice s-plan price?
  • Options
    samk3samk3 Member Posts: 7
    i just called mazda's 800# (8-639-1000) & asked about new incentives. i was told their only incentive is financed-based and that it "actually went up" (from finance incentive offered through yesterday). it's now 0% for 0-24 mos, and 5.9 for 25-60 mos. i think it's the 25-60 mos rate that "went up". not sure what it was previously. no rebates/cash back, etc

as stated previously, peoplefirst.com offers 5.99% for up to 60mos.
  • Options
    oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Ya, heard the same thing when I called Mazda this AM. The old rate was 4.9% for 12-60 months.
    The Mazda Rep said the 02's are selling good. She also said that all incentives run for a quarter so do not expect any new ones till July 2. BUMMER, I wanted 1.9% for 3 years.

Husker92: s-plan is about $200 under invoice.