Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    From what I understood from mazda cust. service,
    2000 $ rebate in ONLY when there is NO dealer
    financing (mazda usa credit ?) involved.
    If you go for dealer finance option, rebate is
    1000$
    Hope this clears your question.
  • Options
    sillyappasillyappa Member Posts: 9
    How soon after you bought the MPV did everyone change their engine oil for the first time? Did you take it to the dealer? I have close to 4000 miles and was wondering if it's time. Also, I have been reading posts about the rear view mirror with the temp. gauge and compass. How much does it cost for the dealer to install?
  • Options
    basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    ok thanks

My sales guy just called finally and said the mpv would be ready at 16:00 today minus the accessories I wanted put on (the rear bumper step plate and the temp/comp mirror). He said they will put that on next week because of the holiday and they will give me a car while they work on it. I asked him how many miles it had on it and he said 380 miles. I asked him why it had so many miles and he says it was the drive from the other dealer to here (apparently they didn't put it on a truck...someone drove it down...at least that is what they are saying).

The funny thing is they initially told me they had to get the vehicle from Arizona. That is 1200 miles from here. After telling him that he said oh we found one at another city (which is about 280 miles from here). I don't understand all the lying going on.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    No AutoNation's here in SE WI, but I guess that's a good thing.

If they won't let you look over the vehicle and test drive it before handing over the cash, RUN from that dealer. If you're able to do that AND you're comfortable with the condition of the vehicle and mileage, then go for it.

I probably would not have gone through on the deal. Do they still not have anything in stock that matches what you're looking for?

-Brian
  • Options
    nope nothing in stock...if I looked around I am sure I could find one (not here)...we are going to look the vehicle over very good before we take it...going by there around 1600 today...they should adjust the 50,000 mile warranty to the mileage right?

thanks for all the feedback...I have to say last time around when I bought through the internet (carsdirect) it was much better than this experience...I will post how this all comes out as well
  • Options
    ...if it has 800+ miles like they originally said. The papers documenting the vehicle type and all should have the mileage indicated, also on the vehicle registration too.

-Brian
  • Options
    gene888gene888 Member Posts: 1
    I think I may have waited too long to discover this great vehicle to get what I want this year. It's just my wife and I with occasional hauling of cargo and people, so we don't want or need rear A/C or automatic doors or other special packages. We just want an LX with floor mats, luggage rack, and a cassette added to the radio/CD. According to Edmunds TMV, we should be able to get that for $21,800 before taxes.

We're flexible on colors but it looks like none of the dealers here in Virginia can get their hands on a model that doesn't have a lot of extras. Our 1993 Dodge Caravan can hang in there a few more months - but I hate to pass up the 0% financing deal being offered.

So, two questions - 1) when can I get an '03 with the configuration I want? and 2) what are the odds of good dealer incentive packages from Mazda at the start of a model year?
  • Options
    Does anybody have positive/negative comments
    about Austin/San Antonio area mazda dealers ?
    I am thinking of buying an MPV within a month or so.
    Also, I am debating if I should go for leather seats (i.e ES model)
    Does infant/toddler car-seat damage leather in any
    way ? Any experiences ?
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I usually put a thick bath towel down b/w the child seat and the leather, just as an extra layer. I've done this for years and my leather seats pop right back up... after a bit, w/o any tears and such. ymmv.

/java
  • Options
    tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Gene888, I'm also anxiously awaiting the 2003s, but because my wife and I are hoping they'll add a nice red color to the lineup, and I'm curious about some things that may arrive for the next model year. But I've been battling the urge to take advantage of the 0% as well.

I'm wondering if you've inquired about ordering what you want from the factory. If so, the fleet manager (the only person I deal with) should have some feedback on when the '03s will be kicking into production. Usually July is the month for changing model year production over at the factories, but since the 2002 MPV was a spring introduction, I'm wondering what Mazda's schedule is. The fleet manager may also have an feeling about whether or not the 0% will continue long enough for an ordered MPV to arrive.

That can be a bit of a risk, though, and it may be too late to order a 2002. If that's true, then you should be able to get an order in for a 2003, but you run the risk of Mazda discontinuing the 0%.

Does anyone have any idea about Mazda's financing and incentives beyond July 7th?

A Mazda dealer here in Phoenix has about 3 or 4 stripped-down models that have the things you're looking for, if you want to take a little trip to the West! ;o)

Good luck finding what you want!
  • Options
    dave234dave234 Member Posts: 7
    This past week before I actually purchased my MPV, I was told I could order one with exactly what I wanted on it from the factory, but that it would not come in for at least 20-25 days. Salesmen told me he would not be able to honor incentives because they supposedly end on July 8. However, I think I read on this board (or maybe somewhere else) that the current incentives ($2000 rebate or 0% for 48 months) are available until September.
  • Options
    ok just a follow up...I picked the MPV up today...It did have 390 miles on it, however, it was driven from a dealer that is ~280-350 miles away. In addition, the car was delivered to their lot on 3/29/02 so it has been on their lot for quite a while. That explains the mileage. They allowed me to finance through my own bank without a problem.

I am rather displeased about the experience with the dealer as a whole, however, I think I got a decent deal, save the 390 miles on the odometer.

I got it for $80 over invoice (per carpoint) then they gave me a $1500 rebate. I got 5.7% interest from my bank.

I have to take it back in next week for them to add the rear bumper step plate and the temp/comp rear view mirror.

If I had to do it all over again I would go carsdirect or something similar. This is how we purchased our Xterra and it worked out great.

P.S. Now that I have read through the whole owners manual does anyone with the engine immobilizer ever see the light come on with the key in just the ON position? Mine never comes on. However, once I start the car it flicks on for a second. That isn't how it's supposed to work according to the manual. Also, I notice a clicking noise on the engine if it is just sitting there...not constant but ever minute or so...this is with the AC running but I wouldn't think it was the compressor.
  • Options
    mobydmobyd Member Posts: 2
    Dropped by the local mazda dealer Friday and learned ot the 4 yr 0% or 2000 rebate, I wanted an LX with lux and security package, I ended up with an LX with just security in the Color I wanted (pure White)Still have my 94 caravan too!
    Qualified for below invoice pricing s-plan and got the 2K discount-financed thru credit union-drove away for 21500 including Va taxes, title ect. 60 miles on it so far-will post mpg as I go along...I luv this van!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All together now...

Congrats on the new van!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    ahhh, you beat me to it Steve! Group hug, group hug!

Yes, congrats y'all! Lucky souls! :-)

/java
  • Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    man, I'm trolling the boards late tonight for a right-coaster :) I just got done with a 5 hr jaunt in the MPV and loved every minute of it!

Wow, lot's of action in here today! So many new owners dropping by - enjoy your new rides guys!
  • Options
    How was your trip, Beach? Now go to bed!
  • Options
    rschaprschap Member Posts: 2
    The various dealers in the region claim that the 2003 models will arrive anywhere from late August to early calendar year 2003. Does anyone have an accurate timeframe for the availability of 2003s? Any news of changes?
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats and welcome! Sounds like a awesome deal! The MPV looks nice in Pure White! Many happy and safe miles.

Let's wake up and smell the sulfur fumes, I mean coffee(Java);Pew!Java must be fishing again:) Why would anyone wait for a 2003 when the current incentives are OUT OF SIGHT now, best ever offered on the 02. I'll bet my first born the incentives on the 03, at first, will be slim to none. Hey were not waiting for a "new engine"and "tranny", like last year. TB, I understand you want to wait for your Mill Red. If you are looking for a certain color, trim level etc., have your local dealer check their locator. Last year my 3 local Mazda dealers couldn't locate a Mill Red Protege in the trim level I wanted. So I called a dealer 100 miles away and they found the exact car I wanted in another state.
    JMO guys!
    Pjd58
    P.S. I'm not a Mazda Salesperson:)
  • Options
    I'm waiting b/c we want to have the slightly better resale (I can hope!), if it just means waiting a couple of months. Also, financially now isn't the perfect time for us to apply for a new car loan, but the fall will be. The incentives are nice tho. :-)

/j
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Well, at least for my SVT Contour. (Same engine block as the 2.5L MPV, FWIW, so better breathing.)

How does ~260HP at the wheels or about 325 at the crankshaft sound.

This could probably be adapted to the MPV, but will probably void your warranty 8^)

http://home.swbell.net/crush7/

Check out the details at:

http://www.contour.org/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=50;t=000167

TB

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    A true factory order takes at least 3 months Dave and is a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed] for the dealer to do. Your salesman was simply dressing up the fact that they might be able to find what you want at one of Mazda's ports.
  • Options
    no kidding about the incentives on 'em now. Aside from our definite waiting until end of the year to shop for a MPV, I can't seem to find a ES or LX dark blue with 4 seasons, roof rack, fog lights, and moon roof (and lux pkg on LX) in our area. Seems like the moon roof option isn't that popular or something. And the couple I've found from the online inventories via Mazdausa.com have either the fog lights or 4 seasons missing.

I know it'll get even harder to find what we exactly want at the end of the year, especially on a remaining '02. But, for now, we'll take our chances.

-Brian
  • Options
    My dealer found the exact one I wanted...but it took 350 miles to get it here with someone I don't know driving it...I was very pissed about that. I would have gone to pick it up if they would have told me it wasn't coming on a truck. Make sure you get all that clear if they find you an exact model vs ordering it.
  • Options
    Never heard of dealers putting cars on trucks or flatbeds for dealer trades. You could have requested a flatbed, but I'm sure the dealer would have made you pay for it. You take a chance having someone drive your new ride. I guess thats the price we pay to get the trim level and color we want. The dealer I purchased my Protege from use older semiretired adults to shuttle cars back and forth. They must have a spotless driving record and there is NO eating or smoking in the car.

Pjd58
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    sillyappa--When we picked up "Minnie" I asked when we should do our first oil change, and was told we didn't need to do a special early change for the first one. It could just be done at the regular 7500 mile (Schedule 1 from manual) or 5000 mile (Sch. 2) interval. Being on the conservative side, I elected to change about every 3750 miles which coincides with tire rotation. I do the work myself, and can just do oil/filter/rotation all at one time and be done with it. And if for some reason I don't get to it per my schedule, I am still way inside the Mazda recommendation so my warranty isn't jeopardized.

basurf--I've heard similar to what pjd58 described. The husband of someone on my wife's staff 'retired', and now delivers cars for dealers to keep busy. Basically he will go as far away as necessary as long as he can be home at night. So doing a 200-300 mile drive to deliver a car to another dealer is not unusual for him. I have also read of people figuring out where the car they wanted was located, and going to and buying from that dealer directly. To each his/her own.

danandkat
  • Options
    Yeah, my grandfather actually does car driving...or used to.

I just wish they would have told me...I would have gone up there myself and drove the car down.
  • Options
    Does Mazda take longer than other manufacturers when ordering a vehicle? My experience with others has been that it only takes 6 to 8 weeks, not "at least 3 months." The one thing I haven't checked is where the MPVs are made. Are they made here or in Japan? If they're assembled in Japan, that would certainly explain the long build and ship time. Just curious...
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    MPVs are assembled in Hiroshima, Japan.
  • Options
    traetrae Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a new 2002 MPV ES or a new 2002 mercury mountainier. I can not decide which one to buy, the price is about the same and I am not sure about the resale. My wife likes the MPV, but I like the mercury. I guess I am Scared of the fact that I would be driving a Minivan. HELP!!!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone can drive a SUV, but it takes a real man to drive a minivan :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Who is the primary driver, you or your Wife? Don't try to convince your Wife to buy something she doesn't want. Most men on this site love driving their Wife's MPV, myself included. Trust me, it's always best to keep your Wife happy:)

Pjd58
  • Options
    well my wife had an Xterra and I convinced her to get this MPV (because she needed more room)...MPV is a great family car for us.

I liked driving the Xterra, however, I like driving the MPV too...only place the Xterra was better was at the beach. I think the MPV is the best out of all the minivans we looked at.

We have only had it for a few days...though my wife just took it on a little trip. She really likes it at this point. Talked to her and she said it road 100 times better than the Xterra had very good passing power etc etc...
  • Options
    pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Hey, Why don't you come down here and buy my house so I can get my MPV. Wife won't let me sell my car. She wants to fly the kids to Memphis. She won't go for two twelve hour days on the road. We have a cold front this week. It's staying in the mid 100's in Phoenix. It's sunny here too. Uhh, well not at midnight.
  • Options
    I am trying to decide if we should spend couple of
    grands more for ES vs LX+security+luxury packages

As I see quite a few MPV owners here that opted
    for LX + lux and security packages, just wanted
    to get their perspective on this.

I have never had a car with leather and I think
    this could be an opportunity.
  • Options
    owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    Go with the ES! My wife was wavering between the LX w/ lux., security, and 4 seasons (you did not mention this, but get 4 Seasons package because it has the bigger radiator, A/T oil cooler, etc. - all the stuff needed for hot and/or cold weather and to prolong the life of your vehicle) and an ES. She really wanted the power doors but was hesitant on the leather (bad childhood memories of getting burned on her parents' car leather seats...). Well, I convinced her that with tinted windows and better air conditioning, hot seats were not a factor anymore. And, in fact, it was 102 today and the seats were nowhere close to the burn your skin stage. And new leather smells so much better than fabric ;^)

The power doors are worth it. We can open them from inside the house or from 50 feet away. It makes it so much easier to load the 1 and 3 year olds. Course, Daddy also likes the 17" rims too!

And finally, with the 2000 rebates being offered now, you can get the ES for what you were going to pay for an LX.

RBB
  • Options
    I opted for the LX with all the packages because I did not want the power side doors. Leather really didn't matter it was the doors that swayed me. Granted I would have liked the 17" rims, however, 16" will have to do.

We will put neoprene style (wetsuite type material) seat covers over the cloth anyway. They make these for the Xterra and we were hooked on them every since we had them on that vehicle. It is just a matter of finding some that will fit on the MPV seats.
  • Options
    dave234dave234 Member Posts: 7
    In my view, the difference is the power doors and the leather interior. I myself do not like leather interiors and the power side doors while something that I would like is something I could live without.
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    We got safely back from the Carolinas in the Prez [obviously]. Thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

Pleasures:
    1] Handling, handling, handling. Geez, that van handles like a dream at highway speeds. It's all but effortless. Even with its smaller engine, its problem wasn't keeping up with the traffic, it was keeping down with it. It do like to run. And even with the smaller engine, it managed to merge effortlessly onto the Interstate--once from a dead stop on the shoulder. With a disabled car 500 feet in front, also on the shoulder.
    2] The AC. We were in the middle of that East Coast heat wave and consistently ran both ACs at either 1 or 2, with the recycle button on Fresh. Best AC I've ever owned.
    3] Comfort. Unlike any other car I've ever owned, we could still walk after 8 hours of driving/riding. And we're both 6-footers and neither one of us exactly lithe anymore. Or agile.

Pains:
    1] That primitive transmission/engine combination in the 01. Constantly downshifting up the Alleghenies and Blue Ridge ranges. And then staying in lower gear long after it should have upshifted.
    2] The cruise control. Others complained of this last year, but it's the first time I noticed it--the tendency for the cruise to assume that if you re-engage it, you want to be at the preset speed NOW! Finally delayed re-engaging it until I was nearly at or even above preset.
    3] Mileage. Last year, I averaged a respectable 23.8 on the same trip. This year, the best I could do was 22.1, with a high of only 22.7 and a low of 19.9.

On the other hand, after 13.5k miles, I've definitely decided not to rename it StinkyVAn. Not a whiff, not a sniff, no weird and/or offended looks from passsing car drivers.
    Life is good. :)

RJ
  • Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Glad to hear you made it back safely! :-)
  • Options
    BASURF -

Did you get the security package - the one with the side impact airbags? If so, be very cautious about putting seatcovers on the front seats. Mazda mounts the side-impact airbags inside the front seats rather than in the pillar. A seat cover may interfere with the operation of the side impact air bags at the wrong moment. The manual specifically warns against this. The seatcovers need to be approved for use with the side impact bags.

RBB
  • Options
    yeah thx for the warning...I actually read that in another MPV forum here

we haven't put any seat covers on at all yet...my wife isn't going to like the news...she loves her "wetsuit" seat covers...we could still put them on all but the front seats I guess
  • Options
    OWR 084 or Basurf, where's a good place to get those seat covers? Does anyone know where to get nice looking ones made for side airbags? My wife really likes the ES, but since we live in Arizona, leather seats can be a real pain in the...well you know. ;o) So we're thinking about putting covers on during the summer as a solution. We're waiting on the next model year still, to see if they add that Millenium Red, so it's not urgent, but I like to figure these things out while they're fresh on this board.

Speaking of waiting...I got a really nice letter from a Mazda Customer Specialist, who was responding to my email through PlanetFeedback.com, inquiring about the color choices for 2003 and requesting the Millenium Red. She told me there wasn't any information on the 2003s yet, but to check back with her for updates in the coming months. I thought that was very cool! It was a really nice, long letter that really made me feel more excited about owning a Mazda MPV. She even included her business card! Way to go Mazda!!! :o)
  • Options
    smarssmars Member Posts: 32
    I've been looking for an LX with 4 seasons since the $1k rebate came out in May. The dealer I'd been working with told me that the regional sales mgr for the Southeast wouldn't order any 4 seasons vans for the region because there was only demand for these in "cold weather" climates. I did one of those "get 3 dealer quotes" from Autotrader. Another local dealer e-mailed me saying they were available, but his quote was far above the S plan price and included a $299 doc fee. I forwarded his e-mail to the one I'd been working with, and sure enough, there were some in the port @ Jacksonville.

I ended up getting an LX (actually its on the way) with 4 seasons, security pkg., dual air, cassette, roof rack, mats, and wheel locks, for $21,263.

Bottom line, if your dealer tells you they can't get what you want, make sure they at least do their homework on what's available.
  • Options
    This looks like a great deal. Is it thro'
    S plan ?
    The offers you got thro' autotrader were close
    to the final price you got or you had to negotiate
    on top of that ?
  • Options
    When I described what I was looking for, in the quotes thru Autotrader, I indicated I qualified for the S plan. The quote from Tim Marberger Mazda was $500 over invoice (minus the $2k incentive) plus a $299 doc fee. The S plan does not allow charging doc fees, and is basically dealer invoice. Montgomery Mazda had allready told me they would honor the S plan, so I just forwarded Marberger's e-mail, and they agreed to sell it the S plan price.
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Your comment about the cruise control on "The Prez" sounds to be just the opposite of what we experience on "Minnie". If we press 'resume speed', it takes its own sweet time increasing the speed toward the preset speed. But when it gets very close to the preset (within .5 to 1.5 mph--something like that) we get a downshift and racing engine for that last little bit. Just seems that if we can go most of the way back to the preset without downshifting, we could go all the way back without a downshift. Or, if a downshift was necessary, why not do it much earlier on? Oh, well. Just one of my pet peeves. All in all, the CC does do a decent job of holding the speed we have selected which is its main function. danandkat
  • Options
    I am not sure of a source for "approved" seat covers. Although, I am not sure of the need - it hit 102 in Northern VA the other day and the leather seats in our 2002 ES were just fine. To see for yourself, just go out to the dealer on a triple digit day and find an ES that has been hot soaking for a few hours!

RBB
  • Options
    SMARS - you wrote: "The dealer I'd been working with told me that the regional sales mgr for the Southeast wouldn't order any 4 seasons vans for the region because there was only demand for these in "cold weather" climates."

The dealer is either lying or the regional manager is very stupid. The name of the package is the "4 Seasons" - as in Winter, Spring, SUMMER, and Fall. For hot weather climate, the HD battery, A/T oil cooler, larger radiator, and larger washer resevoir are desireable items inb a hot weather climate. And the last time I checked, it does snow/get cold in the deep South. So, the heater would also be useful.. .

And, as a side benefit of the larger radiator and A/T oil cooler, the engine and the tranmission will last longer.

And, last but not least, the 4 seasons package is the only way to increase your towing capacity.

RBB
  • Options
    owr084:Those were my thoughts exactly. I wanted the 4 seasons for the extra towing capacity. According to the dealer, it was the regional rep that decides what vehicles (trim level, etc)to request for his region. ...Of course, you certainly can't believe everything a dealer tells you either.