Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    ... but I'm extremely happy that Honda is stepping up and doing the right thing since my Accord will be covered by the new 7/100 extended transmission warranty. Remember Toyota who blamed the sludge problems on their customers at first? I can only hope that Mazda would follow Honda's example if caught in a similar situation. I know there's a few folks here with sulphur smell who sure wish they would!
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Toyota extended their "sludge" thingy to 10 years. Honda is just trying to beat them :))

Actually, I would have to reap a little praise here for both of them for taking actions on their problems.
    Java: Temp was mid 60's this morning - having to break out the heavy coats and muffs - chipping ice from windshield......
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Beach, you have a good point. I think it's a good thing for customers that Honda did this. It's a smart marketing move as well as a positive item for buyers. Unfortunately for competitors, now Honda can boast that they have more warranty for buyers, but we know a goodly number of them will actually need it.

Bob, thx for rubbing it in. I think it was in the mid-40s... hopefully into the 50s today. Ugh. I have to take the Hakkas in for new studs today, after I finish detailing MochaVan. My word, what do my kids spill on the floor mats?!? I swear there's dried Wendy's Frosty, and gum, not to mention cola and inumerable french fries. Where's my carpet shampooer?
  • Options
    Take the dog for a ride. He will find all the fries and clean up the Frosty. Getting that gum off his teeth is a little tricky tho...

Actually did make to mid 80's today - weather just teases us. Now I see a hurricane in the Gulf.

Steve: There was a "little" content there..
  • Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Java, I heard Milk Bones will do wonders for Fido, if not, maybe you could try a Mother's clay bar 8*) I didn't think you had a dog (?)

Bob, what is it with you and the tropics this year? I think you better put the MPV in the garage this time, it looks like a nasty one. Better yet, put your family in the MPV and LEAVE. Hope it doesn't head your way, pal. Really.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    let's see websters... hake: 1> any of various marine food fishes related to the cod, as the silver hake 2> any of certain fishes of the codfish family..... ah fergitaboutit... I am sure you are not taking your codfish in for studs, so please tell an ignorant in the lower 48 what are the Hakkas that you need to haul in your MPV for new studs?
  • Options
    Hakkas... Hakkapeliitta snow tires. It's easier to remember Hakka than Ha-2ks-a-1p-e-1l-2Is-2Ts-a, wouldn't you say? The Finnish language must be based on Martian... The studs on my snow tires are worn, so I was having them restudded, since the tread still has a goodly amount of life left on it. So, since I had the van today (content...) I could use the great cargo space to transport the tires. ;)

Snow: What some southerners see on TV every four years (Winter Olympics), or at the next Warren Miller film.

• Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    But it might help.

For those of you folks who want keyless entry and remote start, I just installed a kit on my 87 LeSabre.

I found this kit at www.commandocaralarms.com (And don't worry Edmunds, I don't work for them or get anything for sharing my experience.)

I saw a kit I liked the EZ-2200 http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?ProductID=495 and fired off an e-mail about what relays I'd need, wiring diagrams and such.

They replied sometime on Sunday, I ordered on Monday and had the kit in hand by Thursday.

It's been on the Buick now since Wednesday and works really well.

I installed the whole thing in the Buick for about $90 total. The kit was just under $80 shipped to my house, and I probably spent another $10 on wire and connectors to splice into the vehicles wire and run a switch to under the hood. This switch prevents the remote start if you have the hood open.

You have to make connections to:

+12V Five connections here, two for ignition/start/accessories, one for the power locks, one for my trunk release, and one to power the unit.

Ground One connection here.

Lock Wire

Unlock Wire

Trunk Release

Brake Light (pressing the brake pedal kills engine when running in remote start)

Hood Switch

Ignition Wire

Accessory Wire

Starter Wire

Tach (So the unit can detect the engine is running)

I think that is all.

On an MPV with power windows, you could probably wire in a windows down instead of trunk release, so you could start the van and roll down a window so the A/C can get a head start while you returning to the van.

What took the longest was getting the wiring straight. It seems the guys at the commandocaralarms site are using the same information that the Haynes manual folks did when they drew the wiring diagrams, and in some cases, that info is just plain wrong. So I ponied up the $24.95 for my first year of AlldataDIY for the Buick.

I had to run only one wire through the firewall, the hood switch. On the Buick I had to drill, but then who really cares about drilling into a 15 year old Buick.

It probably took me 2-3 hours under the dash to get the job done. I just did portions of it over the past week as I was "on-call" and didn't want to press my luck. (In 50 minutes, I hand over the pager to someone else!)

A little black duct tape over the two bundles of wires going to the module under the dash, and it looks like a factory job.

I've not tested the 800' range claimed, but I do know that I've started the car from about 200-250 feet with a clear line of sight. I suspect that 800' range is with a very clear line of sight and only works on brand new batteries in the keyfob, LOL.

But it does work.

HTH,

TB

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bob57 - knock yourself out, I'm in Seattle this weekend :-).

Er, I drove by the oldest US Mazda dealership this morning.
    /content

Steve
    Host, Vans
  • Options
    sandesdriversandesdriver Member Posts: 15
    I've driven on my replacement Yokohama Avid Touring tires for about a month. They have a max cold pressure limit of 35 psi. I'm keeping them at 33 psi cold. The ride is smoother, they are quieter, I notice no difference in handling and they promise more than twice the mileage of the original Dunlops. I can't ask for more.
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    We love our Yoko Avid Tourings, the last six weeks our MPV rides better than ever. They handled very well, the past week, during some nasty rainstorms. I highly recommend these tires to fellow MPV owners(I'm not in the employ of Yoko). IMO, Yokohama's Avid series are top-notch tires. Only $300+tax including mounting, why pay more for Michelins?

Pjd58 (ex Michelin clone)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Impressive Steve...where did you get that bit of trivia about University Mazda?
  • Options
    Heh, the dealer was bragging about their "first" status on their sign.... They had one white MPV on the lot with 4 other Mazdas. Not much room for anything else, so I guess they have another showroom elsewhere. Lots of them on the road there I noticed. Way too much traffic too!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    sillyappasillyappa Member Posts: 9
    1. How are you people getting 25-plus miles per gallon in your MPVs? We are getting about 19 mpg, 50/50 city and highway. What's wrong with my car?

2. Does anyone have any experience with the power sliding doors closing by themselves? I have never witnessed it, but my wife, who drives the MPV 90% of the time, swears it has happened at least 3 times. Each time, the door had been open for a while, and suddenly it beeps and begins to close. Once, my daughter was almost caught in it. And no, my daughter did not push the button to close it. I will see if the dealer can find out what's going on, but I'm worried that, as is usually the case, they won't be able to recreate this "intermittent" problem.

3. What were the Mazda engineers thinking when they designed the steering wheel mounted audio controls? They are totally illogical, and user unfriendly. For instance, the only way to go to another radio channel is by "searching" to the next station. There is no button to go to the next preselected station. The button I would expect to be the "search backward" button is a mute button, which in my opinion, is completely useless. Maybe I'm just used to better designs, but all other steering controls I've seen have been much more useful.
  • Options
    Well, luckily, your child cannot actually be squashed in the doors as they will stop closing if they come in contact with an object, but I can understand the concern. Could the doors have a timer on them and they close after say 90 seconds or something? Could someone have accidentally pushed a button, and nobody knows it? I've locked doors, or hit the 'panic' button many times by leaning on something while my key fob was in a pocket. It could happen.

Maybe other Floridians can chime in on their fuel economy experiences. Possibly the fuel you have available down there is of a different formulation (higher in MTBE or ethanol, for instance). I generally get 17-18mpg when I drive the van, but my wife can easily see 21-22mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. I'm sure I have more lead in my feet though.
  • Options
    That's about par for 50/50 driving I believe. Most of my driving is at highway speeds (avoiding 18-wheelers) and I'm getting ~22-23mpg (80% highway with A/C on).

JAVA: Lead in your what?

Last check on hurricane path looks like the poor people in Louisiana are going to catch it. Must be all that hot air blowing from us Texans....
  • Options
    calden3calden3 Member Posts: 11
    Hello:

After looking for four months we just committed to buy an 02 MPV based on the price given to us the other day. We'll pick up tomorrow. After giving the verbal commit, I began thinking... Hmmmm....It's an 02 and the 03s are out somewhere....It's the end of the month..... did I sell the farm?

Without telling you exactly what the price is, let me say that it works out to a bit UNDER the edmunds TMV price, given all the options, but before tax and license. It's basically invoice plus 2%. We're not looking to make the deal of the century, just get a good car at a reasonable price. I think we got this, but a bit of confirmation would be nice!

Oh yeah - the specifics:

Midnight Blue ES
    Four Seasons package
    roof rack
    side air bags
    fog lamps
    TCS
    Rear air
    rear bumper step plate

SO, gang, what I'm looking for is a "2% isn't bad for a 2002 still" and I'll be happy. I just hate buying cars.

Carlos
  • Options
    "It's a good price."

Well, someone will always pay less than the next guy. I figure, if you're happy w/what you paid, then you got a good price.
  • Options
    dhogge1dhogge1 Member Posts: 1
    Everyone always talks about invoice when it comes to arriving at a price to pay for a car. What's the difference between invoice price and wholesale price? What is the wholesale price for a Mazda MPV ES 2002, and what would be the invoice price? I thought it was a better ideaa to start with the wholesale price and then work up, adding on options, when figuring the price of a car. All I'm seeing is that everyone is starting with the nebulous concept of invoice price and then working down. I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to arrive at price.
  • Options
    mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    between CA and CO. The van ran great. Average of 24 mpg, with a/c on, mostly 80mph, occasionally hit 100mph when I forgot to check the speed meter.
    Smooth ride, comfortable seats, no problem at all.
    It handles really well even on the narrow, curvy I70 in west Colorado.

Almost ran out of fuel between jct of I15&I70 and Green River. Added 17.8 gallon at Green River. The spec is 20g/tank, but anybody knows how much you can actually put in with the auto-stop nozzle?
    When the fuel warning light starts to turn on, I usually can only add 15.5gallon.
  • Options
    prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    We are in the process of (sadly) selling our trusted Peugeot. The buyer, who has 3 kids, saw our MPV and said it was his favorite minivan. He actually owns a 2000 Odyssey EX (40,000 miles, 2nd transmission). He said they tried to trade it for an MPV but was not offered enough for the Odyssey, plus he now has the extended warranty. His main complaint, besides the lousy radio, is that it's too bulky.
  • Options
    Even more interesting is seeing "trusted Peugeot" in a sentence -- they must have improved since the last time they were imported.

$1540.76 - what's on the mod list, Javadoc?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    steve...Like you, I found the trusted Peugeot statement to be somewhat interesting. We were a Peugeot dealer when they sold in the US... I have never seen service problems like they had. PRLAMZ was the one who got the good one!!!! haha. To be fair to Peugeot owners, they are very loyal to their cars.
  • Options
    I notched 26 mpg on a 250 trip by staying at 61-62 mph on cruise control, 95% highway with ac on 1/3 time. On another trip I set the cruise at 78 mph with full ac and 3 passengers and got 21.8 mpg. Obviously I can't say that my engine is more or less efficient than yours, but the driving conditions definitely affect results.

The audio controls I found to be quite easy to use and very handy. The one button allows selection of cds, and I love the + - volume control and mute when it comes to things like conversations and cell calls. My one beef with the audio is that I don't see anyway of adjusting the balance front to back; it just works side to side. The munchkins definitely have different volume tastes than I do.
  • Options
    I know that radio had a Fader. If it doesn't give you that option after Balance then there is something wrong with the unit.
  • Options
    scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Dhogge1,

I always considered the word "wholesale" to be synonymous with used... oops, I mean pre-owned cars. I'm not sure, but I would imagine that buying a new car at wholesale would be pretty difficult and/or time consuming if at all possible for someone not in the business. Would love to hear some additional input on this one.
  • Options
    What are you talking about? Ohhh, Dividend checks, and I get 4. Hmmmmm. Not much on my mod list anymore. Still don't have 'bars for the car (B/O'd). Maybe a vacation out of Snowville in November, Thanksgiving with Dad (your hood) and then a trip D-Land, for the kids (yeah, right). They would be a decent downpayment on an '03 MPV ES (content) now, wouldn't they?

Bob... I did get your comment. Hows the rain? Remember, I control the weather. Heheheheh.
  • Options
    prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    For clarification, we are selling a 1985 505 turbo gas. 2.5l Chrysler France 4 cyl engine, Mercedes Benz 5 sp manual. We bought it in 1993 for $3000 with 78K miles. It now has 181K. I maintained it carefully, and we were rewarded with a highly comfortable, very safe, reliable fun car. Then again we also added 100K to our used Renault 5 (Le Car) until it succumbed to the dual blows of a reckless driver and an inept machine shop mechanic. We kept the Volvo 740 wagon for practical reason, but fun is not one of them. Luckily, the MPV makes up for it some.
  • Options
    thanks for the input...I didn't know that "fader" meant back to front balance so I am sure I just never tried it... my unit is the 6 cd changer with cassette, I think it should have all the bells and whistles.
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    We are now the excited owners of a 02 Emerald Mica LX.
    Not the lowest deal in the world, but good for our area, we think.

02 Emerald Mica LX
    MSRP $25,090
    4-Seasons Package
    Luxury Package
    Fog Lights
    Rear Step
    Roof rack
    $21,532 with dealer cash +tax and plates.

Opinions?

Regards,
    Mark.
  • Options
    poor_billpoor_bill Member Posts: 6
    Today I FINALLY bought an '02 LX with luxury package after endlessly reading this board for guidance.

While finalizing the deal (the S-plan is awesome) the salesman checked with his manager who indicated that the $2K incentive is in the form of a rebate. Would someone please confirm that this is a rebate from mfr, and not a direct deduction from the bottom line price at the time of sale.

Edmunds states that it is a "cash incentive", but my inexperience with new vehicle purchase is showing through (last one was '88) so I'm not certain how it works and of course I don't want to rely on the dealer for valid info :-()

Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    smarssmars Member Posts: 32
    When I bought my LX in July, it was a rebate. This makes a difference for taxes in NC. I had to pay sales tax on the full amt. before the rebate.
  • Options
    I think this impacts even the LA port. Can someone confirm this? It definitely goes as far south as SanFran. Of course, this has been going on (and off) for a while now.

Link: West Coast Ports Closed

• Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    it's a customer rebate which is taxable in most states. More than not the third party sites are not correct.

Too bad consumers don't demand the third party sites post the correct info. If I posted the wrong stuff, as a dealer, I would be a crook and theif.
  • Options
    k203206k203206 Member Posts: 20
    For 2002 Mazda added the 3.0 liter V6 from the Tribute, however, I have read that the new M6 sedan will have a new 2.3 liter V4 or a new 3.0 liter V6. Does anyone know if this new 3.0 liter V6 will be put in the MPV and replace the older V6 from the tribute?
  • Options
    kc, the 3.0 duratec that is in the MPV is unique to the MPV. Yes, it is 3.0 liter and shares many parts with the Taurus 3.0 and also the Tribute, but it has been tweeked to mate up with the new 5 speed automatic on the MPV platform.... notice differences in torque vs rpm and horsepower output between the 3.0 liter duratecs that have been installed. Expected that these are due to such computer controlled variables as the fuel injection, ignition timing, emissions controls, and hardware issues such as camshaft and exhaust configurations, etc,. I for one am grateful for the "usefullness" of the MPV 3.0, it is configured for low end torque and normal driving.
  • Options
    The Mazda6 engine is the same block as the MPV/Tribute but fitted with Variable Valve Timed heads. If it is used, I'm sure they'd want to tweak it for lower RPM outputs.
  • Options
    grr3grr3 Member Posts: 1
    Dealer gave me S-PLAN price as $22998 which has MSRP AS $$25010(2002LX, Luxury package, roof rack, dual AC).

Can I get any more discounts except the $2000.00 customer rebate?

What we need to provide to get this S-PLAN price (dealer told in phone that I will qualify for S-PLAN nad faxed me the S-PLAN price, but I don't know what he need to qualify for this plan)

I apologize for the long message, please let me know if you know more about S-PLAN.

• Options
    Your employer must be a "Ford Partner". Your employer will provide you a partner code which you can register with online and get details at www.fordpartner.com or call an 800 number.

I got your exact same vehicle at the same price two days ago. I understood that the $2K rebate ended on 9/30 though so you might want to check..
  • Options
    I saw on the engine oil cap it indicates to use 5W 20 weight oil. I live in South Florida where it's 90+ degrees Farenheit the majority of the time.

Does that lightweight of an oil seem feasible for hot environments? Would it be an issue to use 10W 40 like I have used in all previous vehicles?

Thanks for any insight that can be provided.
  • Options
    "Bob... I did get your comment. Hows the rain? Remember, I control the weather. Heheheheh".

Ok, knock it off - this is the second hurricane in two weeks!
    I'm sending your email address to all those folks in Louisiana. Hehheheheheh..
    :))

er..ah, content: Washed and waxed Red...hiding from the storm.
  • Options
    The owners manual on my new 02 LX states that 5W-30W is ok. No mention on anything else.

I'm going to Mobil 1 5W-30 @ 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    That's okay Bob... I'm distracted by the snow that has come down to only 200ft above my elevation. Wife (content) wants the snow tires put onto the MPV, and soon. Maybe just one more roll of those dice... ;-)
  • Options
    MPV a most valuable player.

Steve

Host

• Options
    Here is a link to some images of our new 02 LX, and our 00 Protege' ES.

Mark.

http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/index.php?board=26;action=display;threadid=1546

• Options
    I feel cheated! That reviewer, Bob English, got an MPV with 4 wheel disc! I hope he did double check to make sure it was a Mazda he was driving.

:-)
  • Options
    Edmunds' reviewers would never make a rookie mistake like that Globe & Mail guy ;-)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Hahaha... What? Count on a journalist to get specs correct?? Maybe he meant it had four wheels, AND discs (CDs)!
  • Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    Well it has taken almost 25K miles and about 30 months, but it finally annoyed me.

The jack just plain sucks. We had a flat Saturday. Seems wifey hit something that put a hole in the tire. I got a block away from home and noticed something wasn't right. Guess I need to check the lighting in the garage since I walked right by the flat tire. I know it wasn't a sudden failure since I inflated the tire at home and it didn't suddenly deflate.

And the covers for the vanity mirrors are starting to hang down when the visors are deployed, so I need to check on a solution to that problem.

Other than that, all is well.

TB
  • Options
    Tb, I can agree w/ the jack. Why don't manufacturers just put a small hydraulic puppy in there? Space/weight/cost I suppose.

I had the visors replaced under warranty, b/c the vanity covers were flapping/hanging loose.