Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    amyshubbyamyshubby Member Posts: 19
    I went to the dealership to look at the 2002 MPV's. We had budgeted 24k and they had one that looked like it was going to come in at that price (loaded except for sunroof, fog lights, spoiler). We didn't really care that much about the sunroof.

They also had a model with ALL the bells and whistles, but I didn't think we would be able to make the numbers work.

Here are the two problems- my wife loved the fully loaded model (color, other options, etc) and the fully loaded model was actually a demo with 8,000 miles.

I complained about the car being a year old, etc, and they came down to 23,680 plus they are paying my last two payments (total of $750 on my current lease).

They told me it wasn't their demo, it was a minivan they purchased from Mazda with the miles and that a Mazda rep put the mileage on it (but it will be sold as a new car).

I was all set with my Edmunds numbers, and already had financing available but told them I want to look into the price a little. I'm not sure how much to depreciate the car because of the miles. It would invoice at 27,500 if new and there is a 2,000 rebate. They are basically depreciating it another $2500.

Any thoughts on the price would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    Because I think 8K is used up. Get any answers in writing of course. Or check with the service manager because they will be the ones who validate any warranty issues.

Miles are worth about 0.15 to 0.20 based on lease costs, so 8000 miles are worth about a $1200 to $1600 deduct.

Of course it is going to drop about $5K in value or more (about 20% or more).

If you drive lots of miles, and trade frequently, buying a leftover or low mileage 02 might be a good deal depreciation wise, if you can get someone else to take a good chunk of the depreciation.

Otherwise, if you plan to hang on to the van for a while, it might be smarter to get a new one.

However, it sounds on the surface like a pretty strong deal. If I liked the van, was comfortable with it being "gently used" by Mazda, and it came in under budget, the buy and drive what you like.

You can always make more money, LOL.

However, check the numbers very carefully to ensure they aren't paying the last two lease payments with money you are borrowing. Sure they'll pay off the lease, but with whose money?

TB
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So, Javadoc, did you decide that a measly 6.7 wasn't enough to get out attention down here?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Uh, yeah, I wanted more of the same thing. That was not fun...
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    And they keep coming. Better move to the that "other" great state, Java. (You gotta like rain, tho...)
  • Options
    mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    I just found my new 02 MPV (5k miles) is leaking oil from last week! I will go to the dealer soon for its 1st service(oil change etc), but I couldn't understand why a new car should have oil leakage. Could be the cold weather? We got snow weather last week.

Another problem is the gear shifter. A few times when I put it to D, and I clearly saw the lightened box around D, but the car still had zero torque just like in N gear. I had to shift it back to N then to D again to make it go.

My 3.5 years old daughter complained a few times for the smell when I was driving. I mean we did smell some sulfur smell inside the car sometimes.
    Of course more often and smells worse is the moment when I pull it over in the garage.

Otherthan those, we are quite happy with the MPV.
  • Options
    artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Since the car was not the dealer's demo I would be careful about the purchase. It could possibly be a Lemon Law buy back. I don't know if CarFax would have that information so soon but you might inquire. I would come right out and ask the dealer if the van has a clean title and is not a lemon.
  • Options
    If you drive lots of miles, and trade frequently, buying a leftover or low mileage 02 might be a good deal depreciation wise, if you can get someone else to take a good chunk of the depreciation.

Otherwise, if you plan to hang on to the van for a while, it might be smarter to get a new one.

That's funny, my opinion on this issue is completely opposite yours. We are planning on holding onto the car for a long time, which is why I'm not concerned about the mileage or the residual value. I figure if we were going to sell after three years then 45k vs 55k makes a big difference, but since we plan on holding onto it for 6 or 7 years, 105k vs 115k doesn't really have that much of an effect on resale.

Thanks for the advice on checking the terms of the deal to verify they are paying the final two months payments.

As to your statement that I can always make more money, that depends. Do you mean that my income will continue and I will therefore make more money? Or do you mean that I can be making more money then I currently am? Of course, I think I would need to answer both questions affirmatively! ;-)
  • Options
    I did ask about the car being bought from Mazda. They keep claiming that they always buy the demo's from Mazda because they represent such a good value (I'm thinking they can pass that along to me!). I don't have the vin number, so I can't check on carfax. In NY you have a three day rescission period so I will run it after I get the number and deal with that issue if I'm not the original owner.

We are ironing out the warranty numbers. They wanted $900 to extend the warranty to 5yr/85k. That's with $100 deductible. I told them I will only sign if they reduce that to $300 or simply sell me the car and extend the bumper to bumper by the amount of mileage already on the car. I would rather they go for the first option, but if they are really cutting the numbers to the bone and just extend the warranty, that seems pretty fair and I would do the deal.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Chances are it was a rental from Hertz or one of the other Ford owned rental car companies that buys Mazda MPV's.

Rich
  • Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    Life is too short to worry about a few hundered dollars on a 20K+ purchase.

Most dealers have a carfax account, so just write down the VIN and ask to go with the sales guy to the computer and look it up.

If they give you any hassle, just tell them you want to be happy and feel good about the purchase. A happy customer is the best type of advertising around.

Finally, are you sure about that 3 day thing? It usually only applies to door to door sales, so you better not count on it.

TB
    Not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV
  • Options
    I don't know of any state with any rescission provisions for car purchases and I've googled this question before.

Usually if there are any "cooling off" periods, they only apply to a salesperson coming to your door and selling you something - vacuums and encyclopedias, etc. Check with your State AG Consumer Affairs agency.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    profb1profb1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all!

I've been lurking here for some time, trying to decide on a minivan (4 month old twins plus 15 month old) and this board has been very helpful. I'm signing the papers and taking my 03 LX home today. Got it from a Mazda Elite dealer- very easy and pleasant. Invoice plus $300 for a new model with nice options- I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

My question, which might belong in the problems discussion board, is about acceleration. I found on the 2 MPV's I test-drove, that there was a hesitation after I quickly depressed the gas pedal before it accelerated. Has anyone else had this? Not very appropriate for a vehicle with "the soul of a sportscar." Could this be related to the "intelligent" shifting, which I still don't understand?

Also, a piece of news. When I called the dealership to set up a time for the paperwork, they told me that Mazda just extended the warranty for 03's to _4_ year/50,000 mile. It just gets better and better!

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Congratulations on your new 03. The fuzzy logic on the transmission does take a little while to adjust to your driving style. There was a TSB on rough shifting that required the module to be re-flashed. This does not apply to your 03 however. Give it a while. Electronic shifting transmissions do have a slight pause when full throttle is applied, but it should not cause driving concerns.

I hope you and your spouse are good negotiators. Your going to be maneuvering each other to see who takes the MPV on every event.

Mark. : )
  • Options
    drosenedrosene Member Posts: 7
    The balloon on my 00 ES is up next week. It appears that a trade-in will cost me about 1K so it looks like I will drop the keys at the Credit Union! My 00 is White with GFX, Moon Roof, Roof Rack and CD Changer. What can I say, my family and I love our first van.

Only complaints, power and fuel economy (fixed in 02), long shift lever, rear quarter windows not powered, slots in moon roof spoiler that create horrible wind noise.

We want an 03 with GFX, 4 Season (even though we live in Dallas), Pwr Doors, CD Changer, Rear Spoiler and Fogs. Didn't use the Moon Roof much and think the Roof Rack makes the van look too tall.

My problem seems to be finding a GFX in anything but white and we would really like a color change. I don't like the Beige/Black combo at all and even thought about swapping the dash and other Plood from my 00 before turning it in to the CU! We are beginning to like the Grey interior since we will probably keep this one longer and it would be easier to keep clean and it comes with a grey dash an looks good with the Graphite replacement for the Plood.

I plan to check out the only Coastal Blue model in Dallas (an LX) tomorrow just to see how the color looks, problem is they are very rare in Texas.

Does anyone know if the GFX package can be purchased as an add on and Dealer installed?

PS. This forum was responsible for my original MPV purchase.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I ordered an 03 LX three weeks ago witht the GFX package and fogs on it. I was told they COULD install the package on an existing unit, but it would be labor intensive and 'costly' to do it at the dealer. In the neighborhood of $200 more to do it at the dealer. I definitely like the way it dresses it up though.
    I am getting a silver MPV loaded with everything that the ES has except the 17in.wheels and leather. I just didn't see the point of leather without heated seats in Minnesota. I've been in cars here in the winter before that had them and it was a hard shock to put your buns on a seat of cold steel, so to speak:)) I am also having the dash redone when it arrives to have the plastic covered with a carbon finish. They do this alot at dealers for woodgrain applications, etc.. That will cost me about $250 extra, but I don't like that flat plastic look..it looks cheap.
    Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • Options
    hues10hues10 Member Posts: 10
    New MPV owner for a week now. Still love the Sandrift color, but wife drives it every day, so haven't had opportunity to feel the zoom, zoom.

Some minor comments, went from an auto-headlight sedan to MPV where I now have to turn the lights on/off. Feel like I lost my remote on the TV. No auto locking doors -- what????? Thought that went out ages ago. Who doesn't want their doors locked when they put it in 'D'.

Ok - one more thing, what is up with this 4 year warranty thing. I have seen nothing on the Mazda Website about it. My dealer didn't say anything last week.

Show me the proof.

Will report first tank gas mileage today cause it's Daddy's turn to drive.
  • Options
    Yahoo is reporting the new 4 year warranty. It is a bit odd that no one else is reporting this (other than the dealers).

I'm not a fan of autolocking doors btw :-)

Congrats on the new zoomer!

Steve, Host

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Some of the local Mazda ads in today's paper (Twin Cities) touted the new 4/50,000 warranty.
  • Options
    Well there you go - if it's in a screamer ad it must be true :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    And if it isn't true, there's always lawsuits for false advertising.
  • Options
    Hues10, you can get both of these items from many stereo and alarm shops, although it'd be nice to have them standard. My 2000 has auto-locks, a feature I had added when the shop installed a remote starter. Although, I admit, having only one pwr door lock button is a pain, when the dw's in the passenger seat, and starts the van while I'm outside (like, scraping ice off the windows...), then she has to reach all the way over and hit the button on the driver's door, b/c the doors will lock instantly upon the engine's starting. Ah well, it's an option you could look at.

For DRLs, there are two camps regarding this as well. You can have the same shop install a relay system for the lights if you want. It shouldn't be expensive, and kits can be had for around $30, if you want to DIY the task.
  • Options
    I think the longer warranty is great - the longer factory warranty was a main reason I shopped the Quest harder than it's twin, the Villager, which had a 2 year shorter warranty.

What I can't figure is why Mazda isn't making a big push about it; seems like a big deal to me.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I was at a Mazda dealer today to look at the MPV, and the salesman told me the 4/50,000 warranty was only for the 6. He seemed knowledgeable in other respects. It seems very odd to me, though, that Mazda would put a longer warranty on only one vehicle.

I really liked the way the MPV drove, although the ride was a bit harder than my GCS. Handling was great for a minivan. Driver's seating position was excellent (LX with manual seat). One question for MPV owners: the sheet metal, especially the front fenders, seemed very thin, as if I could make a dent by pushing in with one finger if I wanted to. Anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Congratulations on the twins and new Van. I did the math and God help you with three in diapers. Glad to see you didn't wait as long as I did to get a MPV ES 2002 van (1.5 years). I have a 4.5 and 2 yr old so I had to get leather. "Milk spills" you know. I have noticed a few little quirks with the transmission but they are so fast and infrequent that I'm not sure it's a problem. I only drive the van on the weekends so the transmission would have to adjust to my lead foot. I can tell you this. I have no problems with passing. Zoom Zoom.

P.S. Costco or Sam's club sell diapers in bulk!!!
  • Options
    The 4yr/50k warranty is for the entire 2003 model line-up. It's even listed in Mazda's website:

Source: Mazda6 Pricing Released

"At the same time, MNAO announced that it was extending its bumper-to-bumper warranty to 4 years/50,000 miles on all 2003 models, including those already sold."

• Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    "The 2003 MAZDA6 i and s, as well as every 2003 vehicle in Mazda's lineup, are backed by the company's new 4-year/50,000-mile warranty that covers every part on the vehicle except those subject to normal wear. Also included in the warranty are 24-hour roadside assistance, use of a loaner car and protection against corrosion for five years regardless of mileage."

-Brian
  • Options
    christine62christine62 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove an MPV, Sienna & GC yesterday- as I suspected going in. the MPV is the clear choice- seems you get the most for yor $$ and I like the middle seats & windows. My dealer immediately told us about the increase in warranty- my question is, I'm looking at a BASE LX, only option is a roof rack & step plate. I've seen it advertised for 19800- anyone give me any feed back on what I can expect from the dealer in terms of discounts? Is 19800 a low ball? (That price was not from this dealer)
  • Options
    Oh, that's even better, Subearu. I wonder where you say that .
  • Options
    scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Christine62,

($20,888 MPV 03 LX Invoice) + ($520 Destination) + ($172 Roof Rack) + ($43 Step Plate) - ($1,500 Rebate/Discount) - ($500 recent graduate incentive if you qualify) + ($177 Extra Dealer Profit) = $19,800.

My deal: ($20,566 MPV 02 LX Invoice) + ($520 Destination) + ($172 Roof Rack) + ($43 Step Plate) + ($86 Mats) - ($2,000 Rebate/Discount) + ($113 Extra Dealer Profit) = $19,500.
  • Options
    Just filled up first tank of gas last night - went 292 miles on 15 gallons. Not too hard to compute 19.5 mpg. No highway mileage over 55 in here as wife uses it to commute to work in some stop and go. Very pleased so far. Didn't want to get the Honda Odyssey 14 mpg I was reading some people get.

Also washed it for the first time. Man, now I know why people with vans and SUV's go to carwashes. Lots of Metal, but it was fun to shine her up.

Question: Notice when I have the no A/C on with the setting for blowing out on your feet and face, hardly any air comes out the face vents. Even with the fan setting all the way on 4. When I turn it to just face vents, the air blows me away. Any one else notice this?? May I be taking this back to the dealer for a repair. I also have a toy propeller on the vent which spins like crazy with the air on vents only, but not at all when I have the dual setting on.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Two recent tanks of gas at 4,000 miles: 20.1 in mild city driving (we have lots of 1 mi blocks here) and 24.8 highway (rain 1/2 the time, about 68 mph with 4 + dog in vehicle, some ac for defroster). All on 87 octane, no stinky exhaust, used ARCO, but have never had stinky gas at central California stations.

Van still great I had an opportunity to smoke an F-150 with a 2 foot lift kit and big exhaust away from a stop sign, but somehow I didn't yield to temptation this time. Hmmm must be getting older...

Hues-- will have to check that air vent control closer, I was switching it around a lot today going from defroster to face etc, never cranked it past 2 on the fan but never noticed a problem. Did you have the "fresh air" button pressed or the recirculation? How about the rear fan, if it is cranked up does it reduce flow out front? It seemed like a simple question, but I suspect that there is a lot involved.
  • Options
    anolledoanolledo Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

I haven't posted in quite a while since I bought my '02 in the spring. Don't have any complaints at all except for the minor things you all have brought up before. The shifter still bugs me and the sheet metal is thin (although it helps keep the weight down on the car). I do want to know if anyone has installed mud guards on their car. The lower sides of the van really pick up a lot of loose stuff from the road. How easy is it? Do you have to drill? Thanks for the info.

ajn
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Trying Steve's "advanced search" (new and improved of course) for mud guards yielded several discussions on their installation. I remember some issues about poor fit from some of the aftermarket stuff.
  • Options
    bsshipsbsships Member Posts: 3
    Yes, they could fit better. I took mine back after a few months and they installed new ones. They fit the same way. I had mine factory/dealer installed because I wanted them put on correctly. They are pre-engineered to be close but not close enough for me. I will more than likely get them put on the next one I buy.
  • Options
    bsshipsbsships Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my 2000. They quickly adusted it to work better on my first return visit.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Picked up our (not quite) new 2002 MPV ES last night. It was an executive demo (used by a Mazda rep) with a little less then 8k miles on it. It is fully loaded (every available option but GFX package) and came in at 23k.

After extensive driving (20 miles) we are very happy :-)

Seriously, we are really glad we got the vehicle we wanted at the price we wanted. We are going on a trip this weekend (about 500 miles round trip) and are all set.

My 1 1/2 year old has been saying "zoom-zoom" to everyone in the family when they call.

I'm still trying to get used to the automatic sliding doors. I'm used to sliding them open and closed on my own and some patience is now needed while they work at their own speed!
  • Options
    Congrats on the new zoomer!

they work at their own speed

Think of the power sliders as bureaucrats, wait staff (or spouses). Can't beat 'em, may as well enjoy watching them close...

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well it's about time!!!

Congrats!! You will absolutely love your new MPV!

Mark.
  • Options
    I have seen this questioned posed in the Care and Maintenance section, but didn't find a definite answer. The oil recommended by the manual and the oil cap is 5W-20. I have never seen this grade. In the Florida heat, is this still acceptable. I have probably three months to worry about this, but I usually change the oil myself. What is everyone else using.
  • Options
    I am starting to check out the replacement for my '99 GCS and at this point the MPV is my top choice. I'll probably wait to see how the next-generation Sienna and maybe the Ody check out before buying, however.

A question for people who have "downsized" from a larger van, like a Grand Caravan/Grand Voyager/T&C, to an MPV: how is the smaller van working for you? My first van was a '91 Caravan base model, and it was fine for the first 2 kids, but when I got the GCS I did appreciate the extra space for camping gear and other stuff that a family of 5 hauls around, including bikes. I figured I could deal with the bikes issue using an external bike rack, but would like to hear about real-world experiences.
  • Options
    gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Didn't think about it till I was driving home but the dealer put in 5w-30 on my first free oil change... I guess if it's good enough for the dealer then it's OK for me to use when I change the oil the next time... but I think I'll still use 5w-20.

Gampa.
  • Options
    profb1profb1 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me a quick and dirty explanation of fuzzy logic? I actually teach logic, but the good old-fashioned "shaved" stuff. How does this apply to the transmission? And what exactly is it supposed to be learning? I apply gas when I want it to go faster- not a very personal thing.

Boy, that shift length is annoying! However, it's the only thing I can complain about. I started getting upset at a noise the engine was making ("Oh, man, just a week old and already falling apart!") until I realized that it was the sun visor vibrating 'cause it wasn't hooked in! Good thing I didn't bring it in for that.

Also, if anyone's interested, you can't yet install an aftermarket stereo in an 03- the harnesses aren't available yet. Circuit CIty said they'd probably be ready in January. OEM for 6 more weeks!
  • Options
    I run 5W-30 dino in our 02 LX with 2,800 miles. There is a SB from Mazda stating this is ok. 20W is nothing more than CAFE compliance IMO, and we just turned in an all city driving tank at 20.3mpg. 20W is just too thin for my taste, and others I know. Quite frankly I don't need the extra .3 mpg. I'd like to keep my engine for 150,000. I'm going to Mobil1 5W-30 at 8,000 miles. I run synthetic in all my vehicles after a period of break in.

Mark
  • Options
    mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    1) The dealer did my 1st oil change with 5W-30.
    2) They did find the oil pan gasket was broken and replaced it under warrenty.
    3) They couldn't reproduce the gear shifter ambiguity, but they re-programmed the transmission with 05-011/02(a upgrade version? what's benefit?).
    4) They couldn't reproduce the sulfer smell (sure).
    5) The dents repare estimated cost $780. I didn't have that done. Remember? the dents were caused by my colleage who put his hands on my car trying to trigger alarm system, never think it would be a $780 damage to my 1st day new MPV.

You couldn't feel better when you got back in the MPV after returning the rental car.

Mike
  • Options
    Glad you got the van back. Regarding the dent, I have been wanting to try this DentKing thing out for some dents that my cars have gotten of late. Maybe it would work for you. I figure, for $30, how bad off could I be to pull a dent? I'm still researching DentKing, so can't swear by it, though.
  • Options
    I've seen people refer to TSB's (Technical service bulletins?)

Is it possible to register for these? how do they work? How do I find out what was issued with regard to the 2002 ES and, if a TSB was issued, if it applies to the specific vehicle I own?

In other words, when a bulletin is issued does it say "all vehicles made during 2002" or "vehicles made during May and June of 2002", or is it just "Here is a problem you might be having. If so, call for service".

P.S.- Maybe I should have titled this "Quick QuestionS" :-)
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Have a 2001 LX with 25k miles.Took in to dealer for oil change. They reccomend a fuel injection cleaning for $110. I know that if you have a problem with your FI system you're in touble,but it sounds like they may be looking for some extra money only. Is this listed anywhere by Mazda as a necessary service? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Click on TSB's at this site. It's a good place for MPV information along with edmunds.

http://www.MPVClub.com/

Mark. ; )

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It's not recommended maintenance and if your vehicle was having trouble it would be covered under warranty. Somebody needs to pay for the upcoming turkey dinner; might as well be you.