Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Honda Civic 2
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the CD player now standard on the 2001 LX Civics?
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    NO, a cassette is standard. EX has standard CD.
    INKY
  • f6bikerf6biker Member Posts: 33
    I priced a CD player today at $400, too rich for me. I think that I will put a changer in the trunk for about half of that price.

I installed the Keyless Remote in about an hour tonight. Really easy job, I bet that a Honda tech does it in fifteen minutes. I paid $160 on a retail of about $200.

I also bought splash guards but I ran out of sunlight so I will put them on tomorrow. The install on those looks really easy too. I paid $78 on a retail of $100.

The accessories from Honda seemed a little expensive but the quality, fit and easy install has made me forget about the price. Also have to say that I love the engineering on this car. It is my first Honda car but I have owned several of their motorcycles and would ride nothing else. Over all with 422 miles on it, I am pretty happy.
  • cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    On my '01 Civic LX, I installed splash guards, too. Quite easy, although my dealer's instructions (from last year's model) suggested that there'd be more screws for the front pair, rather than using the screws that hold the fender wall in place.

How did you install the keyless remote?

What I'm waiting for is a center console kit for manual transmission Civics. I really miss having a armrest/console, instead of the open bins between the front seats.
    The installation was very easy. Remove 3 snap off panels (no tools) lower the fuse box (remove 1 10mm bolt). Unplug a 10 pin connector from fuse box and insert the 10 pin connector from provided wiring harness into it's spot. Insert origanal 10 pin connector into the harness, connect a ground wire (provided) and connect a small module to the harness. Finish up with 2 wire ties. That is about it.

I installed the splash guards this morning. They were very easy too. I was lucky in that they gave me the correct instructions. Took about 30 minutes for all four.

I also ordered some wheels from Sears on my way home from the dentist (a filling instead of a crown saved me $500 - so I spent it) Z Racing #22 wheels. Cost $200 plus mounting and balancing. They are a simple 5 spoke painted wheel and I think that they will look good. I also hope that they are easier to clean.

Also my first tank of gas was 31.25 mpg. I here that this will improve to normal after about 3 tanks of fuel.
  • rra123rra123 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am close to buying a Civic DX -
    Can anyone post a comparison of Echo and Civic

I am specifically comparing 4-dr Automatic Tx Echo
    with DX Civic 4-dr Automatic Tx

Things that are important to me are :
    1. Reliability
    2. Safety
    3. Fuel-economy
    4. Cost
    5. Re-sale value
    I do not care at all about Looks, fun-to-drive,
    or Frills such as Power-door,power-locks or
    cruise-control or even A/C
    Also, if Civic is so reliable car, how come there are 71 complaints against 2000 Civic listed at NHTSA website (v/s 6 against Echo)

Thanks
  • honda719bhonda719b Member Posts: 19
    do you think 71 complaints is a lot? considering there must be many more civics sold then echos, it stands to reason there will be more complaints.
    the complaints are about 12 to 1 for the civic. if the sales are less than 12 to 1 in favor of the civic........ then echo has less complaints. if civic sales are over 12 to 1..... then echo has more complaints.
  • milindcmilindc Member Posts: 123
    go with base civic...resale is rediculous.

Toyota has admitted their mistake with Echo. Why u want to approve it by self-experience ?

It shakes on highway, is unpopular, costs too much for contents.

Getting a used Civic would be better than getting an Echo. Civic would give you 80% of money back after 3-years !!

Safety; Here also Civic bigger/heavier car is better than Echo.

72 complaints is NOTHING if u look at the 3,50K sold !!
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    "Toyota has admitted their mistake with Echo. Why u want to approve it by self-experience ?"

Excuse me. The Echo is an unqualified success for Toyota. It has won both European Car of the Year award and Japan Car of the Year award. It's the best seller there. Why would Toyota admitt it's a mistake when it's clearly a home run for them? BusinessWeek magazine had an article about Toyota not too long ago, and Echo was named as a big success for Toyota.

I think Echo is designed for city/commuting purpose. It's best suited for high density city use, (that's why it's such a big hit in crowded Europe and Japan). It combining excellent fuel economy, acceleration that out paces the Civic, and a tall/short profile that make parking easy yet does not sacrifice interior space.

Draw back of the Echo: questionable styling, may have problem with crosswinds at highway speed, no power window available.

Unlike Europe and Japan where Echo easily outsells the Civic, Echo has a more limited appeal in the big car savvy U.S. That's why Toyota only ships 50,000 to the U.S a year, and it's ahead of it's sales schedule so far. But if you keep the car simple, and use it mainly for urban commute, it's a very reasonable choice.

It's definitly not for everyone.
    The Civic is a very reliable car. Honda and Toyota are known for making bullet proof cars.

In the U.S, Civic sales out number Echo's 7:1. The ratio of complaint (12:1) isn't too far off. I would say Civic and Echo are about as reliable as each other.

Echo is built in Japan, and Civic is built in the U.S. I have heard several people mention a theory that (this apply to both Honda and Toyota), that cars built in Japan are slightly more reliable than ones built in U.S. I take it with a grain of salt since there isn't any concrete data to back up such claim (being a scientist, I frawn upon unsupported claims). Like I said, the complaint ratio between these 2 cars are not that far off from their sales figure ratio, and we are working with 2 small numbers here, so margin of error is relatively high.

Look at it this way. There are 72 complaint for every 350,000 Civic, and 6 complaints for every 50,000 Echos. We are talking about 0.021% and 0.012% here, relax. :)
    Echo being joke was about the US-market.
    Why would anybody get an Echo when there are many used cars available in US-Market. USA-USed car market is like anything. Very good choices there.
    My friend got 96 Galant with 34K mileage for $7400 !! has power everything, cruise etc.....
    (almost everything except roof).

Why would u like to get an Echo for 10-11K when u get a much better used car with much better safety ratings ??

Note: Note Galant is used as an example, don't want to compare it with Echo.

Also In USA even if u get a car for city driving, U HAVE TO use freeway many times, maybe for 3-5 minutes. Echo is not atall good for such commutes.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    will live on, and strong. Just like the Beetle and PT Cruiser, there are folks out there that adore the car because of it's quirks.....

the fact that is probably reliable and efficient and zippy only helps matters. it might not be the best highway cruiser, but at least it does not look like every other appliance out there. Camry, civic, accord, corolla, blah blah blah...
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    The Echo and the Focus started the trend.
    Very soon just about every manufacturer will have a similarly shaped economy car in its model line.
  • qtlqtl Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a 2001 Civic Ex 2dr. But It's
    hard to find one in New England area. I was told by
    the dealer possibly I couldn't get one in 3 weeks.
    And even after 3 weeks it's hard to say.

Does any one know how I can get one?

Thanks.
    I heared that Focus got recalled due to some screw which may screw up rear break & tyre assebly ?? & some more focuses for cruise control malfunctioning...??

Total 350,000 focus are getting recalled... !!!
    & they were talking about having great competetor to the civic !
    ...was a great competitor until the recalls started to mount up.
    Every focus made are being recalled.

Ford is smart that they issued 1 recall for 3 different problem. It would really look back if they had to issue 3 seperate recalls.
    Unloading a bunch of them at once.
    Smart strategy.
  • smoresmore Member Posts: 25
    The old cliches are true. Hondas are more, but their reliability record combined with their resale should speak volumes. I travel and frequently rent "inexpensive" cars and they are JUNK. If you really look at the WHOLE picture, I think a Honda's an excellent value.
    Castrol emailed me back yesterday about 5w-20 oil. They said that Castrol GTX 5w-20 is the factory fill oil for 2001 Hondas and will be available in quart containers on 12/18/2000.

In case anyone else does their own.
  • svenjsvenj Member Posts: 19
    First time Honda owner and have to say that I am becoming more impressed each day with the car. I can easily see keeping it 10 years or more as long as I take decent care of it.

I was surprised that I actually found not one, but two dealers that were actually pleasant to work with after hearing many horror tales of how awful Honda dealerships were to buy from.

Aside from simply getting used to a new car which makes a few things seem odd to me at the moment, I only have two minor negative comments.

Why couldn't they offer the the LX trim in blue?
    Why are the radio control buttons so small?

Styling? Yeah, it could be flashier, but I'll take substance over style anyday. The rear does remind me of a Passat. I have read some amusing posts of people complaining about the power. isellhondas is right, you can't please everyone.

The car is perfect for me, though I still wish I could have had one in blue.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Honda always seems to offer nice colors for the last year or so of the model line. They always start with the non-classy colors....in the past anyway... Blue will be along in the next year or so
    I can't think of any other color than dark red/cherry red like Accord SE. But honda doesn't give it on Sedans (coupes only)

I would get really annoyed if I couldn't get Covoc in Red. Even used 4 dorr civics look VERY good in red.. Ofcourse they can't give every color with their models....
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    That is one nasty looking color. We tested a 2000 Civic in Vintage Plum. Looked OK in bright sun light. In the shade, holy smokes! Ugly brown, are they still running that repulsive color out there on the 2001 Civic's sedans?
    My friend got that one.....!!
    He didnot want any common color like silver / white/black/dark green. Blue/Red wasn't available, so he got the plum. I developed liking for it after one week....
  • carpetridercarpetrider Member Posts: 8
    My theory is that Honda want's to keep things subtle. Then once people are firmly purchasing the vehicle simply because, well, you know, everyone else is buying it, they add colors that make it stand out. People are then more likely to over look it's pudding like handling, and hard boiled egg looks. Just MO.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • rleongrleong Member Posts: 41
    We picked up our new Civic 4 dr LX automatic this weekend. We got it for $14,990. On the way back home, I noticed a rattling/ buzzing sound from the rear seat(?). On smooth surfaces the car is fine. I was driving the car by myself and I'm not sure exactly where the noise is. Has anyone experienced this problem?
    I have the same car, but haven't had any noises like that. The car is a lot quieter than I was expecting going from a larger car to a smaller one.

After one week, I am still getting used to it, but can't come up with any negative comments about the car. Myself on the other hand have turned into my grandfather when driving and parking as I am overly aware that I am driving a brand new car for the first time in over ten years.
  • gduffygduffy Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to sell a '97 Civic & I was
    wondering if anyone could point me to any
    websites where I could place a free ad online
    to sell my Civic?

Thanks!
  • rleongrleong Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2001 Civic. I'm looking for a plastic air deflector for the leading edge of my hood. I want a factory air deflector, but Honda doesn't make one. I'm wondering if anyone have a suggestion about a good after market brand.

I read the previous post about the remote keyless entry & splash guard and I decided to install them on my car, too.
    I am starting to like this car more and more. Gas mileage, handling, power, amenities are pretty much all exactly what I wanted in a car.

I did find it strange that the low fuel warning light came on when it did as based on what the tank holds, what I was able to put in the tank, and gas mileage, I had about 90 miles to go before it would have run empty. That is unless I really screwed up the math somewhere; but I know I had at least 60 miles left.
  • polyunpolyun Member Posts: 1
    We've been having s asimilar problem with my fuel gauge on our new 2001 Civic LX. It fluctuates each time you restart the car. Sometimes you're half full, others, you're a quarter. And then, in a little bit, it tells you you're near empty. This is a real frustraating problem that I've complained to the dealer about. They swuggested going through three tanks of fuel to let it "adjust." We'll take it back in a week or two. it doesn't seem to be improving.
    I'm just wondering what kind of leverage we have here in demanding that they fix the gauge completely. Will we just have to accept a faulty car. What's the procedure in these types of cases? I'd appreciate anyone's response.
    My gas gauge works perfect (2001 LX) sorry yours does not. I am averaging 31.xx mpg on my first 3 tanks of gas and I hope to do better by 5,000 miles when the engine is broken in and I dump the oil.
  • rgistrgist Member Posts: 8
    Today I actually saw a new 2001 Civic in action, and you know what, it looks right sedate and classy. It was the silver color Ex with splash guards and a sunroof visor. A male was driving it, and he most likely thought I was wired, becaused I looked at the car so hard! From a distance it looks like the 6th Gen. model, but that is not a bad thing at all. I don't know why people say it looks like a Ford Focus, I just don't see it, I think it looks like a smaller Accord. BTW what deals have guys gotten on them so far. Invoice? MSRP? Accessories? Comments?
  • jskusnjskusn Member Posts: 3
    Try these sites genuine Honda parts and accessories close to invoice... mats for civic are around $64 plus shipping.

http://www.hparts.com/

http://www.partscheap.com/
    I brought my '01 Civic LX back to my dealer to ask about a fluctuating gas guage. Problem was, I'd get down to 1/8 tank, turn off the car, and when I restarted it, the needle was below Empty and the fuel warning light was on. After filling up, it turned out I still had about 2 gallons left.

My dealer explained that the Civic's efficient recycling of gas fumes required that there be more gas in the tank than if drivers were bringing the level down to a gallon or less.

I've noticed that after 6 tankfulls, the needle no longer falls below Empty but seems to fall from Full to Empty slowly and consistently. So, maybe the guage needs to be "seasoned" afterall...
    Just discovered that my 01 Civic was delivered with 25 psi of air pressure in each tires. I hadn't noticed. Why I checked was because my wife's 00 Accord, bought in June, seemed to have a low front tire (it was at 22 psi). After filling it, I checked and found that the other tires were all around 25 psi.

I assume the dealer didn't inflate them to the recommended 30 psi. Makes me wonder about the quality of their service dept., although the same personnel may not be the ones prepping the car for sale. Or maybe they are.

Is it normal for Honda's to be sold with low tire pressure?
  • midgeysdadmidgeysdad Member Posts: 4
    Since I've been buying American cars for the last few years I've also been buying extended warranties as well. I'll be picking up my new '01
    Civic EX later this week and I'm sure the dealership will ask the question as to whether I'd like to purchase an extended warranty for "peace of mind". I thought that's why I was buying this little car in the first place...{I'm trading in an Air Craft Carrier...I mean a Chevy Caprice Station Wagon.} I'm sure they'll try to hit me $1200-$1500 for the warranty. Any comments or experience here would be appreciated!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Carta: Actually, the most common problem is just the opposite of yours - dealer prep people who forget to set the tires and send the customer on their way with 45-50 psi in the tires, which is the pressure used for shipping purposes. This helps prevent excessive flat-spotting during the shipping process, but driven that way, is just as dangerous as low pressures. Letting a car out with 25 psi sounds like they have a tire guage problem in the shop, which I'm sorry to say, occurs more often than you might think.

Dad: Extended warranties are always a debatable item, but it you decide you want it, keep this strategy in mind: you can buy it ANY TIME before the original factory warranty expires [3/36k], and from ANY dealer. Generally, I avoid these things for my Japanese cars, but I am considering it for our '01 Accord EX V6 [we plan to wear this one out]...but not for many months yet do I plan to make that decision, and when I do, it will be via a bidding process among dealers either by phone or internet. And NO WAY should this cost more than $1000 for maximum coverage on a Civic EX. Be patient, shop around, no reason at all to let the selling dealer's F&I person pressure you on this topic...turn a deaf ear. [There are also non-Honda warranties available, but that is a whole separate business - see the appropriate topics here on Edmunds, for more info than you will want to read in a single day...]
    I bought the 7 year 100,000 mile 0 deductable warranty. I had two reasons.

1) Things break and Honda parts cost a lot.

2) Resale value in a private sale with a couple of years and 25,000 miles of warranty is much better (these are transferable).

Good luck with the EX, I love my 01/LX
    Honda Care warranty is refundable/transferrable if u want to sell the car before warranty expires. I was offered 715 for my Accord 7 years 100,000 within 2 minutes. (They tried to give me one for 1200 !! Third party)

For civic u can do 650 or better. (I am not an expert on these prices though.) Better if you read the special forums on the topic.

I would advice to get warranty if you are getting good APR (like 4.9 5.9 etc) i.e lesser overhead due to warranty.
    I never thought to check the tire pressure. I'll have to do that when I get home.

Averaged 34 MPG on the first tank of gas. I'll have to wait and see if the low fuel warning light continues to come on earlier than I would think.
  • grisouegrisoue Member Posts: 18
    It's simple, really:
    -If you buy Japanese, you pay more but you don't need to purchase an extended warranty.
    -If you buy American, you pay less up front but should buy the warranty. In my opinion, anyway.

Personally, I have much less cash available when I drive out of the dealer with a new car than 5 years down the road, so I don't mind paying less today and more later.
  • chilehead100chilehead100 Member Posts: 4
    When I was finalizing the purchase of my new Sentra SE w/ perf pkg (had to throw that in), they (the finance guy) tried to slip in the Extended Warranty WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME IF I WANTED IT!

Since this wasn't my first new car purchase, I was already prepared (and expected) to receive their "Extended Warranty Sales pitch".

Just before signing the papers I realized he hadn't even mentioned it (shocker right?). When I asked him about it, he said he already added it to my contract at a discounted price. Now wasn't that nice of him, looking out for me like that.

Man I just wanted to leap across the desk and choke him. But instead I just shook my head disbelief and told him to remove it. They sure are gettin' crafty these days.

Just a "heads up".
    Speaking of gas mileage, my LX 5-speed returned 39.5 mpg in a road trip, about 3 weeks after I purchased it. That's a pleasure, compared with my 95 Windstar's appetite for fuel.

Around town, I'm getting 32 mpg. Having recently filled my tires up to 30 psi, I'm curious about the next fill-up. Should be a bit better.
    Mine is auto, so obviously I won't get as good mileage as a 5-spd. It looks as if mine will average about 34 for my normal driving and about 39 on extended road trips. I am greatly looking forward to only having to stop for gas every 7 days as opposed to every 5.

I did notice something this morning. The car seems quite quiet for a small vehicle until I get to about 70 mph, then it seems to revert to your typical small car noise at higher speeds.
  • pqxypqxy Member Posts: 5
    I bought my wife a 2001 LX sedan a couple of weeks ago. I found that the air pressure of all four tires are about 25 psi. I'm not sure why the dealer do that. I also noticed that the fuel gauge thing. Before I had a 20 mile trip I noticed there was at least three scales above empty. I did not see the gauge when I got there. When I started the car for home I saw the empty fuel indicator lighted up. I wonder a while why. I fill the tank up with 8.9 galon. The total milage is 293. That was the fire tank of gas.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I feel new Civic is nice but it has failed one several fronts. 1) Bouncy ride is attested to in several reviews 2) Numb steering with removal of double wishbone up front 3) Styling lacks something 4) Not a price leader.
    I have not seen many on road and would like to see the actual numbers of production and sales vs. last year.
    INKY
    Civic has 'failed' ??
    Steering is more precise & quick ratio than previous gen (Edmunds, Motortrend, RaodnTrack Reviews). New suspension looses to prev gen in slalom by 2mph which is still 3mph more than Sentra SE2.0 & much better than corolla s.
    Styling is subjective but I think it looks more classy & upscale now. Civic was never a price leader up front. But after 5 years, cost of ownership & resale is what makes it look like a 'deal'.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    But I TOTALLY disagree with Inky's points 1, 2 and 4. Styling is objective.

The new Civic drives like a dream and handles even better than it did before. The front suspension changes made the car a better handler than before.

The trouble is, most of the improvements aren't that apparant.