Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    Our boy cliffy is full of alot of hot air...ignore his comment, as I find most of his comments rather useless anyhow and yours most informative.
  • Options
    ring2001ring2001 Member Posts: 4
    It was misrepresented...its a Passat 2001 V6 at invoice, no other charges from Pulliam Wray VW. He also has a beige on beige 2001.5 GLS 1.8T manual at 20,500. The same dealer told me that the 2001.5 GLS V6 manual without any additional packages is not available from VW for 'months'. That car at a price near invoice is the deal I'm holding out for. Any dealer recommendations or leads?
  • Options
    arcgatorarcgator Member Posts: 4
    unbelievable car for the money, unless your some japanese rat nest freak. must sell because going to grad school (sob.). car is in florida. email at arcgator@hotmail.com if interested.
  • Options
    ring2001ring2001 Member Posts: 4
    Can you tell me if 2001.5 Passat GLS V6 manual base models are available or is it really a 2-3 month wait..Thanks
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    I'll I meant was you as a factory guy would probably agree that the masterguard was the way to go versus a "No-Name" policy, and that a "no name" policy sold by a VW dealer did not make it a VW warranty. When I said (vwguild are you listening) I was asking you as the ever present "dealer" voice of this thread if you agreed.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I agree 100%...If it does not say *VW Masterguard* it ain't...Probably the most
    disturbing thing, among the many, in the car business is the fact that "Extended
    Warranties" are sold in this country everday that are nothing more than SMOKE...
    In reality, you can pay money for a piece of paper, and absolutely nothing more.

Not all VW Dealers can or do sell the VW Masterguard because it is expensive.
    It is Insurance...you can buy insurance from a firm like Wausau or Acme...you make the
    call...

And I speak to this not just as a representative of VW, but if I were buying a
    Buick, I would want an Extended that said GMAC on it, or BMW, or Toyota...
    It is all the same. If you want an Extended Warranty ONLY BUY the one with
    the Manufacturer's name on it!!!!
  • Options
    I have these Base units in stock...no wait required...maybe a better Dealership!!!
  • Options
    ristakristak Member Posts: 7
    I hear what you're saying about extended warranties. However, the problem in the New York area is you can't even get a dealer to talk to you about Master guard. Sure they all sell it. But they all quote ridiculous prices (around $2,000) and they all try to push other brands.

I recently purchased a 2001.5 GLX 4Motion. I love the car and my dealer experience was stellar! Really, the sales end of the transaction could not have been more professional.

However, the C&I guy was useless. He tried to sell me a number of non-Masterguard policies claiming they were better and cheaper. I couldn't even get a brochure on the Master guard. He claimed he was "all out". I spoke to a handful of other C&I guys at dealerships other than where I bought my car, with similar experiences.

I definitely will purchase an extended warranty. I want the "peace of mind". If I do buy a "no-name" as you call it, I will opt for the Warranty Direct, 10 year Blob diamond wrap for around $800 with no deductible.

My question is can I still purchase a Master guard policy after "day one"?. I have less than 1000 miles on the car. If so, can I purchase it from any WV dealer, even an out-of-state one?
  • Options
    Seems like my post #1309 was edited somehow. C&I should read F&I. And the Warranty Direct policy is a 10 year BtoB, not Blob! Very strange.
  • Options
    bmcadoobmcadoo Member Posts: 17
    Sorry if this is off track, but I don't know where to post it and I thought the Passat TH would be a good one.

I am in the SUV market and recently read that VW is developing an SUV. Is this true? Can anybody tell me any details on this (release date, specs, etc)?????

Thank you!!
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I was told by MasterGuard directly that I could purchase thier extended warranty anytime BEFORE the standard bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out.
  • Options
    bmcadoobmcadoo Member Posts: 17
    Sorry if this is off track, but I don't know where to post it and I thought the Passat TH would be a good one.

I am in the SUV market and recently read that VW is developing an SUV. Is this true? Can anybody tell me any details on this (release date, specs, etc)?????

Thank you!!
  • Options
    I know it was/is Co-developed with Porsche. They weill have a hyper-fast model and VW will offer a more down-to-earth model. Meant to compete with the MB M-Class and the BMW X5.
  • Options
    moonbeemmoonbeem Member Posts: 12
    I am interested in buying a Passat but am holding out for a 2002 with the CD player standard as well as the new warranty info I have seen on vwvortex.com. I called the dealer and they have heard nothing about this new warranty. Is it not official yet or is it not happening?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    chippervwchippervw Member Posts: 24
    You probably won't get a word out of dealers about this change until they have 2002s on their lots. Would make selling the left over 2001.5s harder. Except for someone like me who wanted the 10 year 100,000 powertrain instead of an increased BTB!!!
  • Options
    If you can wait, I would hold off for an '02 with the EXCELLENT new warranty.
  • Options
    looker11looker11 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have reccomendations for NYC area dealers for 2001.5 GLS? Went to Potamkin and left angry and vengeful.

Also, when will the 2002 come out? Or at least start to impact 2001.5 sales?
  • Options
    Reread post #1307 as to why some Dealers try to ply some other product...And,
    any Dealer can write you a VW Masterguard if they are an Authorized Masterguard
    Dealer.

How long can you go??? Remember that an Extended Warranty is INSURANCE
    with another name!!! *Sporin* is correct in that you can buy that Extended at
    any point up to the end of the B2B, but will it cost the same? NO.

As we get older Term Life Ins. gets more expensive, because, in actuarial terms
    the Insurer is closer to having to pay that Death Claim. Same is true with your
    car...The longer you are driving it, and that is the *editorial* you, The Insurer has
    no way of knowing how well you have taken care of your car; so they use the lowest
    common denominator and afix rate accordingly...Best time to buy this coverage is
    day one...

The New SUV will launch at the NAIAS in Detroit in January...will probably be
    available mid-year as a 2003...

www.vwvortex.com has an entire thread on the new 2002 Warranty Pkg. under the
    PASSAT(B5) Heading...I will have Official Word following a Live VWOA Broadcast
    at 10:00AM Monday 6/25.
  • Options
    clscflmclscflm Member Posts: 71
    Is that skimpy little fold-out brochure really all VW sends out on the Passat? I better not see any kind of advertising fee when I finally commit (surprisingly in LA there's next to nothing in the papers for local VW advertising, so I'm serious). You'd think they'd want to push the new model a little more than that. Does anyone knowledgeable (ie, dealers) out there know if there will be any other changes in the Passat line with the 2002 model? I just saw a rumor posted on VWVortex suggesting that colors will be changed -- and of course the color I want is the one rumored to be dropped! Oy. And I keep asking, hoping someone will reply: can anyone recommend a solid LA area VW dealer both for sales and service? I guess there must not be any as no one responds... TIA
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Ready? I've got an invoice that shows a $200 advertising fee! Of course, that includes television.

I'm precluded from responding to the question over which dealer to use due to my employment, and even then I only know the low priced sellers, I don't know about their service.
  • Options
    If you use the dealer locator in VW.com, you'll see there are plenty of options in the NY area. I bought a 2001.5 GLX 4Motion in May from Sovereign on Long Island.

I did my homework and spoke to, visited and/or e-mailed more dealers than you would probably consider "normal". Most were OK, but there certainly were some jerks. The range in prices was about $1,000.

In the end, I went with Sovereign. By the way, they were one of, but not the lowest quote. But, they were by far the most professional and the most courteous. I by-passed three dealers that were closer to me.

I dealt with Alice Feldman. She was terrific to work with. I would recommend her highly.
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Someone on this forum mentioned www.carsbuytel.com. I don't know if that was a legit post or not and I cannot vouch for them, but their website prices are low. I am curious if anyone else has used them because they seem too good to be true.
  • Options
    jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    Perhaps it is a bit early to speculate on the pricing for the W8, but I thought that I would solicit input from the heretofore knowledgeable TH participants. Given that the current V6 GLX 4-motion stickers for a shade over $32k, how much more can the W8 cost? I have heard talk of near $40k for the W8, but what else can VW cram onto the GLX that could come anywhere near $8k? More wood trim, nav system, xenon headlamps, 17-inch wheels, etc.? But all of those added up as options on other cars wouldn't total more than about $3k-$4k. Will people actually pay near $40k for a VW? I've owned two VWs previously. The reason that I bought them was for the value and the driving experience. But $40k? Any opinions out there? Cheers.
  • Options
    carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    I called them once when I was trying to buy my Expedition (back in the days when they were hard to come by) and their deal was pretty straight forward. The firm has "fleet deals" with dealers down south. They buy the car through the dealer and deliver it to your door for a nominal fee. When it came right down to it with all of the fees, it was not such a good deal.
    Are you in Connecticut or New York? If you are willing to travel to upper Fairfield county, there is a very good dealer with ample stock located there.
  • Options
    And the price of the new PowerPlant?
  • Options
    I'm glad you asked. The $3k-$4k in additional goodies that I mentioned were based on actual price examples taken from the following Audi A4 options list:

Xenon headlamps: $500
    Quattro Sport Package: $800
    Navigation System: $1,280

For loose comparison purposes, I will use the V-8 option on the Ford Explorer: $695.

That totals $3,275. So, MSRP of V-6 GLX 4-motion of $32,125 plus $3,275 is $35,400. Is there anything else that I am missing? Perhaps other options? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. If VW makes the W8's price reasonable, I'll ditch my plans to buy a SUV and convince the wife that we NEED a W8. I'd love to own the proverbial sheep in wolf's clothing.
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    Did you factor in that the GLS V6 costs $2500 more than the GLS with the 1.8t. The only extra item with the V6 is the wood grain trim. At that level of premium for the V6, I would guess that the W8 would bump up the price by at least that much. IMHO. That large price jump is why I bought the 1.8t and I dont understand the large increase. When I bought my Town & Country in January, I got the larger engine and it cost me just $385.
  • Options
    Excellent point on the $2,500 premium for the V6. I had not considered the inane pricing strategies of VW. The increase becomes that much more ridiculous when you compare the output of the 1.8t in the '01.5 to the V6. Does it really "cost" $2,500 more to make a V6 vs. a 4-cylinder turbo? I doubt it. Other car manufacturers offer engine upgrades for a pittance. Why can't VW do that? Now if VW put the new 3.0L in and kept the same price, then maybe the premium would be justified. Like I said, I'm a fan of VWs and am not trying to start a war here. I just wanted to see if anyone had any idea what the W8 pricing and new features/options were going to be like.
  • Options
    gwlgwl Member Posts: 2
    As pertains to pricing on the 2002 VW Passat,etc, autos for America, would appreciate interpretive expertise as to the effect that the last years substancial decreasing value of the German Mark in relation to the U.S. Dollar will have on pricing. A good example is how the Japanese Yen has decreased in value to the Dollar for several years and the resulting effect on Toyota U.S. pricing.
  • Options
    moonbeemmoonbeem Member Posts: 12
    I am interested in a Passat 1.8T, but I heard it only takes premium gas. Is that true??

I am not car smart so please don't make fun :)
  • Options
    bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    Well, lets see...the new W8 engine is really two V4 engines that are put together to form a "VV" or "W" with 8 cylinders. I would guess that this would mean that VW should charge twice as much as they would for the single V4 engine. Somebody has to pay Ferdinand Piech back for all of this new technology...and for the extra 85 ponies. Don't forget, you'll also get the "W8 4Motion" badging on the rear deck lid for everyone on the road to be jealous of. This is not your father's Volkswagen!
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    My car salesman told me that my '01.5 Passat (1.8t) had synthetic oil in it straight from the factory. I asked because I was planning on using a synthetic oil. Does anyone know if that is how they are shipped or was that a load of bull. He did tell me that they wont use the synthetic for my scheduled maintenance unless I supply it. Has anyone supplied the dealer with their own oil for their scheduled maintenance?
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Don't buy any bridges from this guy. As a matter of fact, don't buy anything from him. Regular mainteniece includes the oil, don't bring your own. I haven't checked my manual, but I believe the oil is standard variety.
  • Options
    You might be on to something here. Why not bolt two 1.8t engines together and have a 3.6L bi-turbo producing unheard of HPs and gobs of torque? I should work for Piech. Oh, wait, Audi has already done something similar with their A6 2.7t. You're right, this is definitely not my dad's VW. His was a first-year Beetle. Here's to hoping that VW prices the W8 within reach. Cheers.
  • Options
    The 1.8T is really the only engine that absolutely, positively requires Premium Gas...
    The 1.9L TDI is the ONLY engine that gets Synthetic at the factory, not the 1.8L Gas....
  • Options
    The W8 will be priced at about 37-38 from what I hear...OTD for 40K,
    but not MSRP...
  • Options
    crow72crow72 Member Posts: 9
    I believe I am guilty of putting the 40k price tag on the W8. I saw it in Motor Trend, which said. "Pricing is still TBD, but we expect something in the $40,000 range."

I certainly hope it comes in lower. As for options, MT said to expect virtually all the lesser Passat's options plus 17 inch wheels, Xenon headlamps, front and rear curtain airbags, and a "highly upgraded leather and wood trimmed cabin".

No mention of a NAV system. 8k does seem high. The GLX already has leather and wood...how much more can you add...
  • Options
    Could possibly see e.connect
  • Options
    He's full of bull. It comes with a ow-detergent, "break-in" oil from the factory. Leave it in for the full 5k mile before you change it.

Lots more info and data on this subject at:

www.vwvortex.com
  • Options
    g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    Is it possible to put in an order for a 2002 Passat and get it in the next month or so? Also, does anyone have any "insider" information as to whether incentives will be offered for 2001.5 Passats in July?

g20eng
  • Options
    I'm a little confused about your recent posts. I know that you've been a good source of VW information, so I wanted to get some clarification. When you posted, "The W8 will be priced at about 37-38 from what I hear...OTD for 40K, but not MSRP... ", what do you mean by "but not MSRP"? Does that mean that invoice will be 37-38k and that a purchaser will pay 40k for the OTD price?

Secondly, call it my own igorance, but what does "Could possibly see e.connect" mean?

I'm really interested in the W8, and any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    In very simple economic terms, a weak German mark (or more accurately, the euro, since all of the EMU currencies are linked together with the euro) is good for European exporters to the United States. A weak euro means that every US dollar is worth more euro. Therefore, when VW exchanges its dollar profits for euros, VW makes a killing. In theory, if VW is still making the same revenue, as the euro weakens, VW prices should drop. However, in practice, the American consumer is accustomed to paying the current VW prices, so when the euro weakens, VW just profits that much more. This is a very, very simple explanation. There are a myriad other factors involved such as interest rate parity, purchasing power parity, etc., etc. As a side note, here in Washington, there has been alot of grumbling about the strong dollar affecting US businesses because a strong dollar makes US exports more expensive. How to please everyone?
  • Options
    I was referring to the fact that one has to add Sales Tax, DMV Registration, etc.
    in order to get Out The Door, and that is about 10%, on average...Sorry to
    confuse...

Regarding *e.connect* see Jaime's review on News Archives May 2001...
    My error...correct terminology...*net.connect* at www.vwvortex.com
  • Options
    ashhouseashhouse Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to repeat myself but no one responded to this the first time.
    I am a proud new owner of the 2001.5 Passat GLX. I love this car!!!
    However, I have run into a problem that I want advice on. The middle console lights (that show mpg, min., mi., miles to empty, temp, etc) have gone out on me twice now. They don't go out when I am driving, instead they don't come on when I start the car. At first I thought it may have been a heat issue (I left the sunroof open with the sun hitting it for multiple hours) but then it happened again after sitting in a parking garage all day. Once I turn off the car, then on again they come back on. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, any idea how to fix and/or prevent it? It's not such a big deal but I'm a little peeved that it is happening on my brand new car. Suggestions??
  • Options
    I read with great interest the press release for the European introduction of the W8. It appears that the $37-$38k range is right on for a W8 with tiptronic. Of course, the Passat comes to the US with a host of standard equipment that is optional in Europe, so I would expect that VW would just about load it up. Can't wait 'til it gets it here. Now, only to convince the wife...
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...means 18.2 mpg. That and the $40k price tag ought to test the marketplace's tolerance for VW heading into true lux territory. Makes the upcoming 3 liter 6 cyl sound like the real way to go, at least to me.
  • Options
    pcurtis1pcurtis1 Member Posts: 1
    Just drove a black 2001 Passat Wagon GLS V6 today. It has the cold-weather package and luxury package. I would prefer the sedan but my wife LOVED the wagon. Anyway I was wondering what I should pay for it. The dealer (only VW dealer in town) is asking invoice, which is right about 25900. This is advertised price, I haven't haggeled with him at all yet.

I would like to get less than that, somewhere around 25k with the cd player installed. Am I expecting too much? It's the last 2001 wagon they have. I checked up in the twin cities, but didn't many 2001 wagons up there either.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I vowed I'd never ever buy another VW again after my problematic Jetta always visiting the dealer on a monthly basis. Why can't VW build a more reliable car like the Japanese...and what's up with the wimpy 2yr 24 mile warranty? I'm still tempted to buy a Passat, but then again I can't rid of the nightmares.