Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    If you can wait, I would hold out for a 2002 with the signifigantly longer b2b warranty.
  • Options
    ulurutechulurutech Member Posts: 6
    I too would suggest to wait if you can. My old car was "totaled" by someone hitting me in the rear so I was pushed to getting the 2001.5 model. Seeing posted here that the warranty will double and that costs/features will be nearly the same so...

The flip side will be that there will be deals on 2001.5 at some point but selection will be limited (popular color combos sold out)
  • Options
    ferris11ferris11 Member Posts: 8
    Jager,

I just fired off an email to you. Thanks in advance for your help. Take care,
    Ferris
  • Options
    NovemberNovember Member Posts: 21
    I currently have a Jetta 2.0 automatic and I've been test driving cars as my lease is up soon. The two I have to decide between are the 1.8T Jetta and 1.8T Passat (automatic). The Passat lease is a much better deal so I'm leaning towards it. But there were some noticeable differences in the driving experience of the two cars, and I'd like some input from anyone with that model Passat. The Passat seems much slower (i.e. a lot less zippy) when taking off from a stop than either the 2.0 or 1.8T Jetta and I was wondering if anyone with this Passat also finds that it drags a little. I realize there is turbo lag and it is much heavier than the Jetta, but I didn't know if it would become a problem. The other thing I really noticed was how hard I had to press the brakes to stop the Passat compared to the Jettas, which seem to stop on a dime with just light pressure. Again, is this the weight of the car, or are the brakes different? The salespeople have told me they don't notice much of a difference at all between the two cars, which I find very difficult to believe. On the plus side (I've been told by the salespeople), the Passat doors do not leak the rust-proofing goop (which is a real pain with the Jetta in Fla), and the front bumper is higher off the ground, so I don't have to worry about the bumper popping off on a parking stop. I also think the Passat is a lot more comfortable.
  • Options
    bitburgbitburg Member Posts: 15
    I was told by a person on the VW customer service line that the 2002 Passats will be availiable in mid-July! So for those of you like me that are looking to buy one it's worth it to wait--you'll get the better warranty and a CD player for about the same price. Of course, every dealer that I've asked said "the 2002 will be out in Sept or Oct" and has not heard of the new warranty. So, unless you want to pick up a good deal on a 2001.5, I believe it's best to wait, the warranty makes a big difference in my opinion.....
  • Options
    arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    Without commenting on the power, I can tell you that my 2000 Passat leaks the rustproofing goo from the bottom of all the doors. In addition, the front valance is low enough that you will catch it on parking stones if you are not careful.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I had a 1995 2.0 Jetta 5spd,and although it was a wonderful car,I can say it was one of the few cars I have evey found to be seriously underpoweredI think that 115 hp engine is essential the same today).But that is probably because in every other way I LOVED that Jetta.
    I currently have a 2001 Passat 1.8T 5spd,and this car strikes me as speedy.Maybe a little more oomph in the 1-2 upshift needed,but overall,the power is fine.Of course,an automatic will encumber the car.But power is a very personal issue,and as much as I love cars,i don't drive very agressively.The Passat 4-cylinder has exceptional balance.It is so roomy,yet still nimble.I have utterly adored mine.
  • Options
    moonbeemmoonbeem Member Posts: 12
    I just got a 1.8T Passat with Tip, and I am averaging about 20 mpg in the city. For some reason I thought it would be a little better than this. What is everyone else getting???
  • Options
    yoshiwyoshiw Member Posts: 7
    Can someone point me to some official info source about the extended warranty option Masterguard for the Passat. Where can I find details about prices and what exactly the warranty covers.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    tvmomtvmom Member Posts: 12
    I too am interested in the Masterguard info---any experts out there? I had to rush through my buying process and did not give the dealer an opportunity to explain extended warrantees to me...said I'd get back to them later.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I am looking for input from the many Passat owners out there. I have a 2000 Passat with 32,000 miles and, mechanically, I've had ZERO problems. On the other hand, I've got far too many little creaks and squeaks in it. Especially compared to the Japanese vehicles I've owned. What have been other owner's experiences out there???? With the new warranty and a good trade in offer from my dealer for my old one, I'm seriously considering a 2002, but don't like all rattles.
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    My passat has 7500 miles on it. The only complaint I have is that it now has a squeek in the roof, a rattle in the dash and a rattle somewhere in the back.
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    I have a 2001.5 Passat. One of the things that convinced me to purchase the car was the report that major changes were made to the body structure vis a vi the previous models. There are considerably more welds and therefore less stress on the frame than in previous Passats. I expect the car to remain tight and rattle free in the years to come.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    My apologies...I did not realize that you were talking about the SIDE windows...
    If you pull down the visor and then pull it out of it's resting clip(inboard) and swing it
    to the left...the visor will then slide out on the bracing rod and extend almost to the
    *B* pillar. I think that this will solve your problem with either/or the rising or setting
    sun...

Sorry for the confusion...In the morning, I travel East into the Sun, and in the evening
    travel West into the Sun; so that has been my geographical reference for the past
    15 years...never North/South...DoooooH!!!!
  • Options
    car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Passat spent Thur. at the dealer determining why I don't think A/C is cold enough. Result: refrigerant was at 900 grams, instead of 600 grams. Was told overfill just as bad as under. This was a factory error. I'll admit it feels slghtly cooler, but weather here in NYC hasn't been hot enough for a good test. A/C had always felt OK in overcast humid weather and hot nights.
    Did I get it right, refrigerant measured in grams? Also, was given bottom-of-the-line Kia as a loaner. Awful brakes and steering, great freezing A/C. Are you listening VW??
  • Options
    Ok... I couldn't wait so I did some digging and found some.. but not much info... can someone tell me if this info is uptodate and if there is a mastergaurd website which has listed prices... This warranty will really effect my VW decision.

http://www.beaudryvw.com/service-protection.html

• Options
    How did you end up in Alabama? What do you want to know about the
    VW Masterguard Warranty options? Give me an idea of what term & length
    of coverage you are looking for...4/48, 5/60, 6/72????

Platinum is Bumper to Bumper on anything NOT covered by your VW Protection
    Plus...
  • Options
    propredicrpropredicr Member Posts: 6
    Love the looks of the 2001.5. Decided to test drive one, Colorado Red with black leather GLS with all bells and whistles. It was so smooth BUT the tranny slipped wickedly 3 times on the test drive!!! The damn car only had 89 miles on it and the salesperson was a little embarassed. I'm not so sure about the VW trannies, but now I'm thinking about a 5 speed with V6. My other choices are safe bets, Camry LE and Accord LX. Any thoughts? Was this just a "German Friday Built Car"?

The best looking is that Ink Blue, but no one has them. Looking for a gray interior is hard too. Most I've seen are "hot as hell black" or "puke yellow tan".
  • Options
    The length and term of the coverage will depend on what I will be able to afford. If I can afford the platinum at 6/72 I will get it. At the moment I have no idea how much it will be per mth or year. I have many questions about it that it will be troublesome to ask and get all the answers through here. That's why I was looking for a info site so that I can read through it leisurely. I am surprised that info on this was so hard to track down.

Also, after I get the info on Mastergaurd and I find it affordable. I will have to research the only 2 VW service agents within 60 miles to see if they are any good. Hopefully by this time the new 2002 Passat will be available....
  • Options
    Thanks for the Master Guard link....like you, Yoshiw, I would also like to know $$ for the various plans. I would ideally like to keep my car for many years (have 2 kids soon coming of driving age and maybe one will "inherit" the Passat!) VWGuild, I'm in the Phila. area--are prices different depending on geographic location?
    Thanks to you both for any help.
  • Options
    What I would suggest is shopping the VW Masterguard Warranty as an
    inclusive price with your new Passat. Just remember to make sure that it
    is Masterguard ....

And, yes, I think different markets have an affect on prices paid for products
    and services.
  • Options
    I appreciate your input....I'm glad you are a regular here---you seem to be honest and helpful, even when VW might not be perfect. Thanks! And I absolutely LOVE my 2001.5 GLX! I was never a "car" person, but lately I can't stop comparing and adoring...
  • Options
    smvanetsmvanet Member Posts: 1
    I have been a loyal Subaru owner for years. The features I especially like in my Subaru Legacy GT is the AWD and 5 speed..However, I am seriously thinking I would like to "move up" and get a 2001.5 1.8T Passat. Any advice for me to persuade me one way or the other?
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Now that the warranty is increased, a 2002 GLX looks more competitive to me.
    I am considering a Fresca Green with Beige with the Tiptronic once the factory CDs are available in winter or spring
    I saw a 2001.5 in that color and it looked great.
    The turn off is that the price is high.
    Even though it is cheap compared to an A6, it is still expensive compared an Acura TL or even a 2001 Lexus 300 after heavy discounting.
    I have also heard about annoying squeaks and rattles and weak A/C units that can't deal with truly hot weather in the 2001.5 Passats.
    I could get a 2001 Lexus ES300 with Value Package for about $30K (about the same as a GLX Tiptronic)and lease it for much less than a Pasta GLX due to much higher residuals and Lexus Finance incentives.
    TLs are even less expensive after discounts.
    An all new 2002 Lexus ES300 is coming, but without discounts for a while, it will probably be around $35K+.

Even the Passat-looking new 2002 Altima looks good.

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/product/vehicles/images/altima/800px/02_altima.jpg

Nissan promises VW-like interior quality.
    It has an available 240HP V6 and will likely be priced somewhere around $25K fully loaded.
  • Options
    jsettjsett Member Posts: 5
    Any significant difference between the two engine options? Anyone with a strong preference?
  • Options
    That is because the Pasta GLX is the Italian version made by Lamboghini...
  • Options
    gtbdevsgtbdevs Member Posts: 19
    I purchased this upgrade, but to my disappointment the radio is pretty bad. You can't seem to turn the radio up to loud without the sound quality going down hill. One of the other posts mentioned upgraded speakers with this unit, how can you tell if in fact you actually have them and not the stock ones? Besides the radio, so far no other complaints.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    When you turn the radio on the display says "Monsoon" if you have the upgraded speakers. Also it should be listed on the sticker that was attached to the side window!
  • Options
    jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    In my part of the world sometimes premium gas is only89octane. This has worked in my 2k Avalon, but I am wondering how this would do in a Passat.
    I'm not that cheap, 90 octane just is not available in some areas of the country.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Specify where your area of the country is. If at high altitude, 89 Octane is the equivalent of 91 or even higher, depending on your location's height above sea level. Just use the highest octane available, and the engine will be fine.
  • Options
    about 3,000 feet. I am in Southern Nebraska
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...there's your answer. High altitude equals lower octane needed to get the same anti-knock characteristics in the fuel. Too bad neither the car makers nor fuel makers make this especially clear to the buying public...
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    Is the slide-out visor design new? My 2000 GLS Passat Wagon could benefit from, but does not appear to have this useful feature. The visor will not readily slide out, and I do not want to apply too much force trying to make it do so.

Other than the visors being too short for the side windows, and the useless cupholders, I am delighted with this car. After a couple of minor problems that were resolved in the first few weeks, I have enjoyed 34K+ miles of pleasant and trouble-free motoring - the car rides and handles well, no rattles or squeaks, good radio reception and utter comfort even after long hours behind the wheel. To say the least, it is a huge improvement over my first VW station wagon, a 1974 412 Variant, the largest and last of the rear-engined air-cooled VW platforms.
  • Options
    theredduketheredduke Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I'm seriously considering purchasing a used Pas sat with the v6 as my next car and I would like to hear from anyone who has had any problems of any sort with this particular model. In addition to which, I have heard that if you wish to replace the stock radio with a better model, say one out of the crutch field catalog, you won't be able to because once the stock one is removed it "trips" something in the cars electrical system, thereby making it almost unusable. Unless you go to the dealer and have them remove something to allow the new radio to work.
    Has anyone heard anything about this? If so, is there a do-it-yourself solution?
  • Options
    jlnewlandjlnewland Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 2001.5 with 1.8T and Tiptronic, and I've never heard any complaints about the tranny. Mine has been perfect, but then again the car is just now approaching 1,000 miles. Since the Tiptronic has been used for a few years, it seems there would be more stories about problems with it if they were common.
    I can give you advice on "safe bets." I bought a safe-bet 2000 Honda Accord V6. Great car, and the engine feels much more muscular than the Passat offerings. But the Accord's looks bored me so much I traded it in on a 2001.5 Passat. And I've been thrilled. I can't wait for weekends just so I can wash it. That's how much I love this car.
    Get a Passat. Mine's blue silver, by the way. Have you checked out that color? It's very hard to find, but it looks hot.
    And I'd go with the 1.8T. It's a whole lot of fun for a four-banger, and you can definitely feel the increased power over the 2001 model (170 vs. 150 hp).
    But if you absolutely, positively must settle for a Honda or Toyota, I would recommend the Accord V6. The 3.0-liter VTEC is a beast of an engine. It's the only thing the Accord had over the Passat.
  • Options
    mtwallacemtwallace Member Posts: 28
    That blue silver is an awesome color. I have the Indigo Blue Pearl, which is also very nice, and I also enjoy washing my car every weekend. My V6 has plenty of get up and go - have made the wheels screech several times when accelerating from a stop. I can't imagine needing the added power of an Accord.
  • Options
    ender21ender21 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a college student with a pretty good job as a system administrator so I have been looking at getting myself a car. Right now I have settled on 2 choices, the 1.8T tiptronic Passat and the EX Accord. I drove the passat today and I fell in love pretty hard. The question that I have is whether I should a)wait until next month and buy a 2001 Passat at a reduced price (due to new 2002 models) b) wait until next month and lease a 2002 Passat (at a higher price but I'm leasing instead of buying so lower payments) or c) wait until next month and grab a loaded Accord-go the safe but less fun route. Thank you for any and all opinions regarding this matter.
  • Options
    malik71829malik71829 Member Posts: 14
    you can't come to the passat page and expcect us to endorse a honda accord. sure, you're probably spending the same amount on a 4 cyl vw instead of a 6 cyl honda, but i think that passat ownership more than makes up for it.

i used to drive a civic and was so tired of looking at all of the other civics out there on the road. it had no personality. now that i have my 2001.5 passat, i actually look forward to driving, no matter the distance. i look back at my car in joy when i leave it. i get asked about it all of the time (mostly from accord/camry owners thinking about getting one). you have to understand, when you go with a passat, you get the whole culture with it (go to vwvortex.com), not just a car that gets you from point a to point b.
  • Options
    jmfreshourjmfreshour Member Posts: 57
    More info for those who are as interested in the W8 as I am. If only 5,000 are coming to the US, VW shouldn't have any issues selling every one of them.

Road Test of W8 in Europe
  • Options
    The Accord is due to be redesigned in a year. The Camry is due to be redesigned in a month or two.
    Both have better reliability and resale value. The Honda also has a better price for what you get.
    The VW has more style.
    If style is worth a lot to you, then the Passat could be worth the extra money and repair hassles.
    There is a new 2002 Altima that seems to be a good compromise between all the cars.
  • Options
    I'm happy to hear some of you rave over the Blue Silver---I've had my for a tad over 2 weeks and can't stop looking at it or driving it! And I want to keep buying "toys" for it too---cleaning supplies, etc. I was initially hesitant about it, but my kids loved it and now....well, like I said! And for the college student deciding on cars---go with your heart! You're young and you don't have to be SO practical already! Wait for the family, house, etc. stuff for that!
  • Options
    chewymanchewyman Member Posts: 20
    Camcord drivers are driven by reliability. Altima has been an ok car but now that it is adding a bunch of content people want to buy it. The proof is in the pudding. The Altima has been an also ran for many years. No one has even driven the new one and they expect it to be great. History tells us it won't be. One of the most important issues is safety. Reliability ratings don't do you much good if your relaible car is in a wreck. Passat has the edge here better crash results more safety equipment and built to european safety standards. Even the bumper whacker test is good on the Passat.
    My .02. Flame me if you want.
  • Options
    They have all had good crash tests and are all due for new designs in the next year which should mean they should improve more.
    We will need to wait for the Altima's crash tests to make futher comments on the 2002 model results. There is no reason to think that it will go downhill with a newer and more rigid body.
    Road test reviews on the new Altima will be out in a couple weeks.
    Everyone was bored with the old Altima because it no advantages over the competition and this is the first time that people are looking at it for any reason other than because it had big discounts and rebates.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a link with high-quality digital photos of a 2001.5 Passat?
    The photos on the VW website are not that great or detailed.
  • Options
    Nowhere have I heard mentioned anythng about subject item. Can somebody give me some information about this? The nearest dealer is 150 miles away so I just cannot pop in and ask. Many thanks......
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    In my continuing quest to decide if I want to "move up" to a 2002 Passat from my 2000, I drove two 2001.5's tonight. Question - has anyone driven a 1998 through 2001 and a 2001.5 back to back? My findings were that the 2001.5's body seemed more solid (per VW's claim), but had noticably more wind noise. Cruising along the interstate at 70+ mph, my 2000 was quieter. Thoughts from anyone else who had done this?
  • Options
    kdinatalekdinatale Member Posts: 3
    I'm hoping to spend $13-$18K to buy a 1998 to 2000 car. I've had domestic cars for many years and am looking for a reliable, safe and economical car to commute to work and drive in the mountains (Colorado.) I was planning on buying an Accord or Carry but am turned off by how BORING they are. What is your experience on the reliability and safety of a 98 or 99 Pas sat? What about the resale value? I see from the discussions that the 2001.5 is an improvement, but what can I expect from a 98 0r 99 Pas sat? My father-in-law has a 2000 A-4 1.8T that he loves and that I have driven. How does the Pas sat compare? Given I can't afford a new Pas sat, should I forget looking at 98 or 99's? What should I expect to pay?
  • Options
    A 1998 Certified Pre-Owned 5 Speed Passat will cost you about $17,000,
    and that will include a 24Month/24000Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty as
    well as 24Months of Free RoadSide Assistance.

If you need an Automatic or want a SunRoof & Alloy wheels add about $3000 more
    for both...
  • Options
    echoschiangechoschiang Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Passat owners.
    I just bought a 2001.5 New Passat, manual transmission. The reason I am here is because I observe something strange in MPG of multi-function-indicator.

When I shift to neutual and without depressing gas pedal, the MPG value could be up to 150 mils PG. But when I stop the car, it display "--.- MPG".

According to user booklet3.1, page 13. It says "If you stop your vehicle, the last value calculated will stay in display.."

I am sure "--.-" is not the last value displayed.
    Please tell me if this happened to you also or this is abnormal in my new car, thanks a lot!
  • Options
    gtbdevsgtbdevs Member Posts: 19
    My Passat has the following.

1.8 GLS/5 spd

Blue Anthracite/Black interior
    Luxury Package
    Monsoon Upgrade/with single CD
    Cold Weather Package

$23,050

Just hit 2,000 miles, so far no problems or complaints to report.