Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    VWGuild left out the biggest change for 2002... 4 years and 50k miles of bumper-to-bumper warranty, 5 years and 60k miles of powertrain warranty.

That's a shorter powertrain, but TWICE AS MUCH bumper-to-bumper.
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    2002 doesn't provide free scheduled maintanence as the 2001.5 does for 2 years.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    No, it doesn't depend on the tires you have or the manufacturer...the only thing that matters is VW's recommendation, which will vary from model to model. Look for the tire pressure plate in one of several places: the fuel filler flap, or one of the door jambs, or the glove box door.

Ignore the max pressure printed on the sidewall; that is exactly what it says, the max cold pressure the tire was designed to endure, and bears no resemblence whatsoever to the pressures that VW recommends. For a Passat, my guess would be in the range of 29-33 psi, but it will depend on your particular model of the car - look for the pressure plate, or consult your owner's manual.
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    I could see where the new 2002 warranty might be a big deal for people who change cars every few years, but for those of us who keep their cars for 100,000 miles the 2001.5 has its advantages as well.
    I might be wrong, but with as well as cars are being built these days, and as fast as they seem to be going up in price(much faster than inflation), I think more and more people will stay satisfied with their current vehicle and less will be able to justify a new car every few years.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Good Rule of thumb for SteeBelted Radials...The SideWall should be perpendicular
    to the deck...Flat and with no bulge at the bottom...Got close to 70K out
    of some MXV4s doing that, and appropriate tire rotations...
  • Options
    yoshiwyoshiw Member Posts: 7
    I have been offered a 2001.5 V6 GLS with the lux package and dealer installed 6 disc CD no leather, 5 speed, for USD 26,000.00.... Yes I know the 2000 has 2 times bumper to bumper... but I am also getting the platinum Mastergaurd for USD1300.00 which covers the 2001.5 passat for 7 years or 100,000 miles. So in short i get the 2 years free maintanence... 10 year power train as a plus cos its the old Passat. A good deal on a passat?... anyone who knows... please advise b4 its too late...

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    fencefence Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,
    First time poster. I need some advice. I'm looking at either purchase a 1 year old A6 2.7T w/14k miles for about 33,500 or a brand new Passat at about 28,500. But I can't decide. 2 main criteria are I want to keep the car forever and safety. Both cars are similarly equipped except the Audi has all-wheel drive. Any input would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    kalcikalci Member Posts: 4
    My noise problem mentioned earlier, seems to have been solved now. I remember sometime back, a suv going ahead of me - around 150 feet, dropped a thick square metal piece (just don't know what was that). This metal piece got stuck under my car, creating a rattling sound. I was @40mph. The metal piece had damaged my "turbo pipe" and I had it replaced yesterday. Cost me 500$, but the problem seems to have been solved now.

So, for the mistake of others, I had to pay. This doesn't come under accident nor under the VW warrantly, so out of pocket expense.
  • Options
    If your criteria are safety and longevity than I would get the Passat. They are both very safe cars. But not only is the Audi more expensive upfront, the consumers reports scores for reliability on that car have not been great so it will cost you much more to own in the long run.
    I would only recommend the A6 to you if you had said your two main concerns were 1)you had more money than you knew what to do with and
    2)impressing your friends and neighbors.
  • Options
    mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    I plan on purchasing a VW Passat GLX, manual transmission in December 2001 or January 2002. I test drove a 1999 back in late 1999 when my mom ended up buying her 2000 Camry XLE V6.

I have not gone to a dealer yet, that is planned for November, during the week when I can get my brother to come with to go on a test drive. I also plan on testing the new Camry, and a few other cars. Since dealers tend to take me as an idiot (I am 21, "why is HE buying a $30,000 car?") and seem to believe that I am out just test driving... I figure that I will ask some of my important unanswered questions here first.

That brings me to another point. My friend, he liked the Passat GLX, but ended up buying the Accord EX V6, just because of the way the VW dealer treated him... They acted like he was not going to buy the car, because he was 18 and black... Hey, if they only knew... But he, in my case... I have worked for two years, saving all my money up, and will have enough money for the car I really want. However, I will end up having to finance about $6000 of the cost, and its a good way to establish credit.

Now for the questions:

1) As seen above, I read that there will be a cruise control indicator added later in 2002. Will it tell you when the cruise control is turned on (as in my mom's Camry) or when it is engaged (as in my brothers 1995 Mazda 626)? I actually like having the idiot light telling me the cruise is engaged...

2) Will the new stereo head unit be a single CD or a 6 Disc CD changer. My mom and I have had very, very bad luck with our 2000 Camry's six disc... Under warranty it was replaced three times for either getting error codes playing CDs or the CDs being spit out as they played.

3) I heard a rumor that all VWs were going to get six speed manual transmissions instead of the five speed that they have now. I know that the W8 will have a six speed... Will the 1.8t and V6 get one too?

4) For the drivers of 1998 and later, high mileage Passats... Have you had any problems with the engine before the warranty coverage is up? Will the 40K miles of powertrain coverage being lost for 2002 translate into something that could be expensive? For people with manual transmissions, how has the clutch in your car held up over the long haul? My brother's 626 has seen 146,000 miles on its original clutch, and could easily go another 20K miles.

5) For drivers of the GLX, how well does the climate control work? I honestly think that the climate control in our Camry is not very accurate. My friends that have Tauruses (1993, 1999) and a Sable (1994) with the climate control, theirs seems to be more accurate.

6) For people with the steering wheel mounted radio controls, what do the controls do? Do they work the tape deck too? If you have a VW CD changer or player, does it change the tracks too?

7) For the drivers of 2001.5 or 2002 GLX's, how do the power fold in mirrors work? Is it a switch? Where is this switch located.

Finally, 8) For 2002, will the GLS V6 have the option of a power drivers seat? I think it is absurd that Volkswagen makes people buy the GLX to get a power driver's seat. That really should be standard equipment on even the GLS... Especially if you are getting leather. I think I would get the GLS V6 if I could get a power drivers seat.

Accurate answers are greatly apreciated...
  • Options
    mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    My opinion on cars is this:

IF you are driving it "forever" (or at least until it does not make sense to fix, like my moms 88 Aerostar got), get a new car. Why? You know what has been done to it since day one, you know it has not been in a wreck unless you wrecked it, etc...

IF you are driving it for four years, it is a toss up... If a one year old or less car is on the lot, there had to be SOME reason they got rid of it. Either it was unreliable, they could not afford the payments, or it completely did not suit their needs. Around the DC area, you see alot of under 7.5K cars in the Washington Post... Most cost within $500 of what you could buy the new one for at a dealer, and you get lower finance rates to boot. My friend bought a 1999 Hyundai Sonata, base with the automatic... I told him he could have got a new one from the dealer for $500 more and had lower cost financing. He claimed that dealers would not go lower than $500 under sticker. Apparently not a good negotiator, because they were running $500 rebates on Sonatas at the time he purchased his. By going used, you may end up paying more in the end. The only time it may pay is if the vehicle has not been titled previously (dealer used it as a demo car), or has a very high initial depreciation rate (Taurus, Sable, Intrepid, Concorde, LHS, Town Car, etc...) Around DC you see 2000 Town Cars for $22,000. Why bother with the Crown Vic at that price? LOL

Personally though, if I was keeping this car for a very long term vehicle, I would consider the Acura 3.2 TL and Lexus ES 300. I plan on keeping my Passat eight years, four as a primary car, and four as my spare car. Not as a 10+ year primary car. If that was my goal, then I would be looking at Honda and Toyota based products.
  • Options
    If that includes Tax, Title, and License it is a very good deal...
  • Options
    It does not include tax and title... with all that it comes to around 27,000... but i did forget to mention that it comes with the monsoon upgrade.

About how much lower than MSRP would a good deal be now on a 2001.5 as the 2002 are in? I know that the markups that VW dealers have are much smaller than the Japanese car dealers...

Comments?
  • Options
    You need to go to www.kbb.com or www.cars.com for correct Invoice
    & MSRP numbers and then make what you feel is a fair bid over Invoice...
  • Options
    jsettjsett Member Posts: 5
    A while back there was a short thread about whether the Passat was a "guy" car or a "girl" car.

I found that discussion humorously interesting, so I asked my teenaged son what he thought. He replied that it was definitely a "girl" car.

I protested, citing the horsepower, turbo-charger, etc. He said, "Look, Dad. I'll prove it." He signed onto the internet and conducted an immediate poll of a dozen or so of his on-line friends.

The results?

Among high school students in southern California, 100% agreed that the Passat is a "girl" car.

And if you use the same arguments I did to protest that perception, you may be told "Hey, it's the 21st century. Women are powerful. Deal with it!"

:-)
  • Options
    In So. Calif we distribute only one *girl car*...The Cabrio...Come September
    check out the parking lot at BH High....
  • Options
    javaswingjavaswing Member Posts: 24
    checkout carsdirect.com and use zip code 07733
    500$ under invoice? what's up with that?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I was reading Edmund's long-term test of their Passat. They seem to be very pleased with it, and I am as well. I have always wanted a Passat, but was scared of the dreaded VW reliability. Since the car seems to be holding up pretty well now, I might just go for a certified pre-owned one. We shall see. :)
  • Options
    mtwallacemtwallace Member Posts: 28
    As a 40 year old male with a new Passat, I'm glad it's a girl car. I haven't gotten this much attention from 18-20 year old girls in a LONG time! ;>)

(Note to self - remember, you're happily maried)
  • Options
    For anyone who has VW's Mastergaurd.

I was talking with a dealer who did not seem to know too much about this policy even though they carried it. I thought if I were to get the 7 year 100,000 platinum MG on a 2001.5. i would be covered for 2 years + 7. But I was told that i was wrong and that it was 7 years or 100,000 only . Is this info correct? So by paying for a 7 year 100,000 extended warranty I am only getting 5 years of actual coverage? I thought I heard somewhere that the MG kicks in after the 2 year warranty finishes.

Please advise asap... Going to buy one soon.
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It covers whatever the contract says. You have to read it and not believe verbal claims.
  • Options
    yaeyahyaeyah Member Posts: 2
    Hi!
    These discussions have kept me informed, amused & entertained for months, and were especially helpful in helping me to decide on the Passat. I purchased a 2001.5 GLX /Tip. in April....... LOVE IT!!! I got the Silverstone I/ Blk. leather. I previously drove a 95 Jetta..... Now THAT was a girl car. I sold it to a couple who were buying it for their 16 yr. old daughter.It was still very dependable & economical too, just not "luxurious" that is why I wanted to upgrade... MY teenaged son BEGS me to let him take the new Passat out on the town so he can show it off to his friends... (NO CAN DO) He doesn't seem to think it's a "Girl Car" at all.
    I read somewhere that there was a general consensus that ALL VW's were "Girl Cars" ??whatever!!! Better NOT to take the advice of teenagers. I think it's a great car, maybe not as "macho" as a "truck" or a "firebird" .
  • Options
    Let the Boy take the car...and *macho* comes from the inside; not from
    things...make sure he knows that...
  • Options
    kimmers71kimmers71 Member Posts: 55
    Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I personally think my husband looks sexy in it :) Of course, that's when he gets a chance to drive it which isn't real often.

"Women are powerful. Deal with it!"!! You're damn right we are! :)

5500k and still loving it!!
  • Options
    If you have in fact saved over $20k at the young age of 21, do not, I repeat do not, do yourself and your future family the diservice of blowing it on a car.

If you only knew the future value of that money in terms of it being properly invested you would not even consider squandering it.

I would suggest opening an Ameritrade or E-trade account and letting that money ride in a diversified portfolio until you retire. With the way the stock market has performed over the last century, that money could be a half of million dollars by the time you retire.

You stated before that car dealers "take you as an idiot"...well this is your chance to prove them wrong!
  • Options
    Good for you!!!!You are RIGHT...And he would be better off getting a Credit
    History started as well...
  • Options
    mbc1263mbc1263 Member Posts: 4
    I have the opportunity to get a used '99 Passat GLS for about $12,000.
    On the surface, this seems to be a good deal.
    The catch: 80,000 highway miles in 2 years.
    (The owner is someone I work with.)

The car looks like it's in great condition. I'm not sure how to value
    it with the high miles. What would it be worth two years from now
    with 110,000 miles? Of course, I'll be getting it checked out by
    a local VW dealer before I do anything.

Any thoughts or advice?
  • Options
    Did this guy buy it as new? Did he purchase an extended warranty that
    is transferrable to you?

Two years down the road with over 100K on the clock; value plummets,
    as no one can warranty the car.

A couple of points...If you work with this person; do not buy their car. It
    is kind of like dating a co-worker...what if you have a fight & break up?
    Ugly, Ugly!

Try to find a Certified Pre-Owned VW that carries a VW 24/24 B2B Warranty...These
    cars will be less than 5 y/o and with less than 75K and must meet a very
    stringent profile and Inspection process. You will end up feeling more secure
    about your purchase/car and will not have to worry about friction at your job...
  • Options
    eawegeaweg Member Posts: 50
    I am looking into a GLX 5 spd. I will drive it this week. My questions are is there a noticeably performance difference between the 5spd and the Tiptronic? Also, with all of the other carmakers (Acura and Nissan)taking their 6 cylinders well above 200 horses what is the word from VW? Any new 6 cylinder in the works? The new 6 cylinder in the 2002 Jetta and Golf will put out over 200hp. Thanks!
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    As far as a different V6 in the Passat goes, according to Volkswagen of America, the 201 HP,
    VR6 will be a running change later in the 2002 model year. I have not driven the 201 HP, VR6, so I have no idea as to the difference. Looking at the specs, the old 2.8 has more torque, but less HP.
  • Options
    wies1wies1 Member Posts: 14
    I JUST HAD THE DC CHANGER INSTALLED ON MY 2001 WV PAS SAT GAS. IT WAS BOUGHT THROUGH THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY INSTALLED IT. I NOTICED THAT IT DOES NOT SHUFFLE ALL 6 CD'S. IT ONLY DOES 1 DC. I READ THROUGH THE INSTRUCTIONS AND DID EXACTLY WHAT WAS TOLD TO DO THE MIX. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS?
  • Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    Yesterday my '99 Passat started making groaning and creaking noises from the front end. It is most noticeable when going slow. Today I called the dealer for an appointment. When I described the symptons, he said, "Is this a Passat?" He said it is the front bushings, and is a common problem. It is almost 4 weeks until I can get in. He said it is annoying to hear the noise, but it won't cause any problem. Anyone have this problem? How did they fix it? The car had 25,000 miles so it is past the warranty.
  • Options
    wies1. Go back to the dealer and have them check the connection. There's no reason why it should not play all 6 discs. Also, don't use CAP LETTERS. Hard to read and is not good etiquette. You're basically shouting when you do so. Just a word from one Passat owner to another.
  • Options
    eawegeaweg Member Posts: 50
    Does the noise occur when you turn the steering wheel at slow speeds (i.e, turning in and out of a parking lot?) If so, I had the same problem in my 2000 1.8TGLS. Apparantly when some of the Passats were built they used the wrong size "washer", it should be round when in fact they used a square one. When that occurs the square piece on top of a round surface area causes some areas to be bare, this causes a grinding sound. I had mine fixed under warranty, but it took two months to find. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    You may have not have selected "6" when it way shown on the radio display. Also, don't forget to press "scan" held for a moment until you hear the tone. Now you know your choice is locked in. I'll admit a little tricky, took me 2 or 3 tries.
  • Options
    venanzikvenanzik Member Posts: 72
    i just read on another post that the CD player on the 2002 passats will only be standard on the GLX..is this true...and has anybody used the "drivers options" as a means of buying there passat?
  • Options
    gambhirgambhir Member Posts: 64
    Can someone provide any good leads on W8 passat Plus--est pricing, etc
  • Options
    gwlgwl Member Posts: 2
    Jamee---help---can you, or anyone else, advise on whether the 2002 passat glx will receive an engine horsepower increase during the year and, if so, the estimate of when and how much.
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    Pricing on the W8 will be about 36-37K and HP of the W8 will be 275 from
    a 4.0L ...

GLX will experience no change in $ or HP....
  • Options
    hk6hk6 Member Posts: 6
    Is anyone aware of differences between 2002 and 2001.5 model year Passats except W8. Any changes in body style or interior? Does it make sense to wait 2002 or its going to be the same 2001.5?

Thanks!
  • Options
    This info has been posted here dozens of times. No difference between the cars except for inside trunk handle release, light indicator on dash when cruise control is on and Single CD player in dash (possibly standard only on the GLX) and not available on early production. Check VWVortex.com.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Don't forget the new warranty. :)
  • Options
    peacefieldpeacefield Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Passat that I bought new 2 years ago. We have been blowing out light bulbs at an alarming rate. Typically, they are the turn signals. Some of them have already blown and been replaced twice. I've even had a dash light go out. The service guy insists that there's nothing wrong and the VW must be using cheaper bulbs these days. Certainly, that can't be the explanation. Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...the flasher unit may be defective, if it is the signal bulbs that are the most frequent victims. Sounds like a short in the system somewhere...
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    tvmomtvmom Member Posts: 12
    Just saw your post re: AFTER MARKET CD CHANGER.
    I purchased the Panasonic CX-DP610 model suggested on B5 Forum (VW Vortex site)from Logjam Electronics via internet....great deal and works perfectly! It was $195 and PIE VW/PC-PAN6 CD Changer Interface VWPCPAN6 was $49.95 (allows "mix" capability) and I bought an additional cd cartridge for $19.95....FREE SHIPPING....just plugged it in!
    Haven't had a chance to "mount" it yet (bracket set-up supplied too tight), but works PERFECTLY!! Better deal than at dealer and is EXACTLY same as! Good luck!
  • Options
    ser1ser1 Member Posts: 9
    I recently leased my 2nd Passat, I had a '98 previously and I just moved up to the '01.5 at the end of May. My '98 only had one problem that being the Control Arms needed replacing which was a little pricey. Although the car could still be driven it was noisy at slow speeds and when turning. Similar to the description of problems someone was having a few posts back. Anyway here are my feelings on a couple of things.

Color- My new Passat, is Ink Blue I/ tan leather. I love the color!! It is fairly unique, unlike all the silver cars out there, and it looks great. I have gotten tons of compliments on it and I have yet to see another one on the road. I would highly recommend looking at the color in person since the internet and brochure do not do it justice. The other color I would have considered is the Silverstone Grey w/ grey leather. I saw one in the showroom a couple months before I got mine and it looked great. Similar to silver but enough of a difference to make it unique.
    I also love the tan leather. I probably wouldn't recommend it to those of you who have kids since the color is real light. The combination of the tan and blue look great together.

engine- I went w/ the 1.8t again. I figured the 20 extra hp in the V6 wasn't enough to justify the extra couple of grand. It is noticably more powerful than the '98 I had. The turbo lag is there a little bit at times but not enough that makes it a hinderance.

Monsoon upgrade- I have the Monsoon stereo as well. I like it MUCH better than the stock radio. I noticed a immediate difference between the two. Sure there are better systems out there but I feel that this one is pretty good. You get a much better range of sound than the stock system.

Overall I love the car! I liked the the '98 a lot but w/ all the enhancements that were made to the '01 I enjoy the car even more.
  • Options
    slugdriverslugdriver Member Posts: 16
    I was considering buying a 2002 Passat, while I'm back in the States next summer. However, I'm reluctant to do so, because I'm headed to Mexico. That said, can anyone address the following questions:

1. Would Volkswagen of Mexico honor the Volkswagen of America Warranty? For example, I have seen cases where Ford dealers in a foreign country will honor the factory warranty on a vehicle purchased in the U.S.

2. Will taking the vehicle out of the U.S. void the VW of America Warranty?

Answers to the above questions will weigh heavily on my decision to purchase or not.
  • Options
    jafickjafick Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about buying a 96 GLX. He has 49k on it and it looks like it is in good condition. Only one problem, when installing a battery he said he blew the dash console (tach, speedometer, elec. odom) and had to put a brand new dash insert in (showed me the receipt from the dealer). The guy seems like he's on the up and up, I just want to know what everyone here thinks. This is a second car for me, want something fun to drive back and forth to work, with better gas mileage then my GMC Jimmy. He's asking 12k and I offered 10k. Any thoughts? Thanks.