Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Hey Bean,
    You can try going to a K&N Air Filter. I've heard they can help to squeak out a mile or so per gallon, maybe even 1.5 on the highway. They're spendy, like $45-55, but over time they pay for themselves because they last FOREVER, you don't ever need to buy another $7 air filter, you just clean and re-oil them yourself. I've got one, but my 2000 SE has the 3.0 motor so it's not a fair comparison, but I can get upwards of 28-30mpg if I drive like a grandma and go 60-65mph. I even broke 30 on one trip, I got 33.4mpg going from Omaha to Minneapolis in the summer with the A/C on the whole time. Must've been a big wind or something!
  • Options
    ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I've also heard you get better mileage in the Max by using Premium gas, which is what it requires anyway, but figured I'd throw it out there. Make sure you use Premium.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    You can't have "fun" in a 255HP V6 and expect to get good gas mileage. Just won't happen.
  • Options
    nabinabi Member Posts: 15
    Rattles:
    I am getting rattles at 40+ mph from back of driver's side. It's at ear level or above. It's only from one side, so it must not be normal.

Squeaks:
    I park my Max in Parking building. When I drive down, I get squeaks from passenger side (possibly shocks/struts). I also hear squeaks when on uneven road (Baltimore downdown has bad roads).

Have anybody had similar problems? And how do I deal with my dealer about the problems? My 03 SE Auto has only 900 miles. Should I change oil at first 1000 miles? FYI, it's my first new car. I like to baby it.

Thank you for the input on gas mileage. I'm using premium, and I'll keep eyes on it.
  • Options
    beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    ccermak,

Thanks for the tip on the K&N Filter. I'll look into it.

---------------

Also, just to clarify, my MPG numbers were obtained using Premium Fuel.
  • Options
    beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Nabi,

Regarding your first oil change, the Nissan Owners Manual states: "Your engine was filled with a high quality engine oil when it was built. You do not have to change the oil before the first recommended change interval." (Section 9-5 "Engine Oil and Oil Filter Recommendation" 2002 Owners Manual). I would assume your 2003 Owners Manual reads the same.

The recommended change intervals can be found in your Service and Maintenance Guide (i.e. 3,750 interval, 7,500 interval, etc.)

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I recently saw an '03 Maxima, Dark Gray that had 2 thin rows of pinstripes and towards the back end the word "M A X I M A" with another couple of inches of pinstripes. It looked really sporty.

Does anyone know where to find this type of pinstripe?
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    Habitat1, with your 95maxima, how often did you change your radiator/coolant fluid? or the transmission fluid?

I always hear about changing coolant fluid every other year, but dont know if that's overkill.

-Kyle
  • Options
    kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    First oil change -- my dealer's sticker on the windshield indicates that the first oil change should be at 1k miles. If I follow the Service Guide, I won't need oil change for my 03 Max until June or July next year. I only drive about 5k a year and my odo is at 1k now.

Coolant and transmission fluid changes -- my 92 Max with 70k miles only had one fluid change, and my 97 Max with 30k miles has not had any fluid change. Both cars run fine.

I think the Max is a low maintenance car with excellent reliability. I can't say the same for my Oldsmobile and Mercury bought in the 80s which I ended up junking due to high maintenance cost.
  • Options
    Kenny,

u seem to be a different driver than most... i asked the fluid change question because i drive about 15k a year... and currently at 32k on a 2000GLE.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Wish I could drive 5K a year. :( I have an 02 Jetta, will be 14 months old on 1/3, has almost 28K on it now. I drive 35 miles one way to work everyday though... :)
  • Options
    92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I have an 00 SE with 40k. I changed my antifreeze @ 30k (I think that's what's recommended).

I had the tranny fluid changed at 20-25k (had it changed when the dealership performed the tranny slip TSB). I'm planning on having them flush the tranny every 30-40k miles.

Also, do me a favor (anyone, everyone) listen closely to the auto tranny when accelerating slowly from a stop. I hear a faint 'whine' from mine. It seems to have started at the 30k mile mark. I test drove an '03 with 5 miles on the clock and heard the same thing. It's making me a little nervous.

• Options
    trishftrishf Member Posts: 1
    Hi Nabi, I too own an '03 Maxima SE. And yes, my car is riddled with rattles (no squeaks) and I've identified the locations: In the back of the car above the windows on both sides (where the hooks are located - to hang things). If you haven't noticed, the roof interior does not have padding in many areas and, I suspect, the rattling is a result of that.

As for when to change your oil, the 'Service and Maintenance Guide' dictates that you should change at 3,750 or 3 months, whichever comes first. It is not necessary to change at 1,000 miles.
  • Options
    jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    I heard the dealers are offering pretty good deals on Maximas to move them off the lot these days, mostly because of the popularity of the Altimas. Anyone buy a Maxima recently? What's a good deal these days? My 4cyl Accord needs to go.
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    I paid 23.0k for a 26.5k (MSRP) 2003 SE on 1 Sep 2002. No reason why you can't beat that today. Good hunting...
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    The new '04 Maxima looks like a cross between a Altima and an Ion, imho.
    It is going to be larger......therefore heavier and probably slower, and they
    are going to charge MORE for it. DUH !!

It appears to me , that out of all of the Maxima iterations, the '02-'03
    Maxima's are the ones to have and to own. Price, power, performance,
    and luxury amenities. Real classics !!!! My 2 cents.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    It appears from my service receipts that the antifreeze is changed at the 30,000 mile service intervals and the transmission fluid (manual) is changed at the 60,000 intervals. I have never taken the car in specifically for either of those items. I have had dealer performed "recommended service" at every 7,500 miles when the car was under 60k miles, every 15k miles since. The only other thing I've done other than that is to change the oil myself every 4k miles.
  • Options
    hnguyen6_ushnguyen6_us Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Just want to pass the word on this 2000 Maxima brake problem. If you brake hard on high speed, it sounds like metal grind on metal.

The problem is the rotor, there is a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) # NTB00-088 out at their dealers.

I called the dealers and they said they will not paid for it. But after several calls to Nissan directly, I was able to get them to promise to fix it for free. One time deal is what they said.

The thing is you have to be persistent and complain loud enough to get them fix it for free.

My 2K MAX has 47000 miles on it and they said they will fix it. Have not get it fixed yet, but just want to let owners of 2K MAX out there know that they can get it fix for free if they complained loud enough :).

Also, here is the link to a copy of the TSB:

http://apollo799.50megs.com/Maxima/Maxima.htm
  • Options
    ohhhh ok...so u did get your tranny fluid and coolant fluid changed... i guess i should look into getting mine done.... thanks alot guys for the info
  • Options
    I feel your pain. I'm dropping my Maxima off for it's first ever body work on Monday. Parking valet scrapped the rear passenger side door and quarter panel. I had gotten away withonly minor door dings previously that were removed by Dent Wizard using their "paintless" system.

If I were you, I wouldn't use the web to search for bosdy shops. I'd ask your Nissan dealer for a recommendation and check with 2-3 of your local Mercedes, BMW, Lexus dealers for their recommendations as well.

Whether or not the entire bumper will need to be repainted needs to be discussed with the body shop. I was concerned about matching my "ruby pearl" color, since the car is now 8+ years old, but the body shop (highly reputable) said that matching and blending won't be a problem. I don't know if the there would be any difference with the bumper being plastic.

My work is going to cost $850 (my insurance company agreed to cover it as a "uninsured motorist" accident w/ $200 deductable if the valet parking service doesn't pay). Unfortunately, in your case, it would probably either have to be reported as an at fault accident, or taken out of your cousin's hide. My guess is that you are looking at $400 +/- for repainting the entire bumper. But that's just a guess.
  • Options
    partheryparthery Member Posts: 13
    Just got my 01 SE out of the body shop after someone backed out of a parking space and neglected to look behind them :) At least they had insurance and I now have a new left fender and 2 doors.

Had the work done at Regal Nissan in Roswell...second time they have done work on the Max (my wife closed the garage door on the rear bumper)...also we had an Altima that was repaired there after someone ran a red light. All in all, I have been satisfied with their work.
  • Options
    shinbone001shinbone001 Member Posts: 12
    I recently called a local Nissan/Toyota dealership in town and they told me they no longer sell Nissan products b/c of recent quality issues. One salesperson told me that "Nissan reliability dropped below average and we no longer sell them!"
    Is this really true? I am still considering to purchase 03 Maxima at the end of the year.
  • Options
    That's a new one coming tfrom a Toyota dealer. I think Toyota has done more "value engineering" (i.e. cost cutting) than any company out there. I wouldn't worry about the quality of a Japanese made Maxima compared to a US buit Toyota.
  • Options
    otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Are you kidding me? How did you fall to this lie by a toyota dealer? Just a cheap shot by a competitor.
  • Options
    My 03 Max sustained an injury in a shopping mall parking lot - there is a very small dent in the passenger side door. You mentioned a product called Dent Wizard in an earlier post. Can I buy it at a regular auto supply store? How does that work? I don't think there is any paint chip, just a small shallow depression on the side door.
  • Options
    josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    My new 2003 Maxima was plowed into by another driver on the freeway and luckily no one's hurt. The damage is all on the driver's side from front to back and the front wheel (driver's side) is bent about 45 degrees. As I deal with the other guy's insurance and either have it repaired or totalled, does anyone have any words of wisdom?
  • Options
    Sickening.......not a word of wisdom, but thank goodness no one was hurt. Man, that is a real bummer though, sure hate to hear that. I have an '03 SE, and I just adore the car. A dream to drive.

Do you think it will be "totalled?" Get a new one...maybe a different color, so the memories won't flash before your eyes every time you look at it.

Good luck!

ps. Black-eyed Peas, Hog Jowl, & Cabbage on Wednesday
  • Options
    Gas-X
  • Options
    kennyg5: Dent Wizard isn't a product, it is a franchised repair shop that uses a set of tools that tap a dent out from the inside. The cost is quite a bit less than a body shop would charge, but the bigger advantage is that it doesn't disrupt the factory finish. I had about 5-6 visits over the years, ranging from $79 "ding" to a $250 6" long dent that I put in the lower door when I cut a corner too hard around a snow (ice) pile. Try running a search on "Dent Wizard" or "paintless dent removal" to get their web site. Good luck and post if you need more info.

josel1138: Dent Wizard can't help you, my friend, but at least you are O.K.. I would absolutely strive to get the car totalled, including feigning a sore neck, back and knee, if necessary. I had two cars prior to my Maxima that sustained major damage (Toyota Supra, Acura Integra) when they were less than a year old. They never were the same afterwards, cosmetically or mechanically. Even if the repair shop does a perfect job, you are still stuck with a nearly new car with a huge blemish on its record, come trade in or sale time. I hate to suggest "lawsuit" but I do think you should at least consult an attorney to make sure you get what you are fully entitiled to. A friend of mine (who happens to be an attorney) negotiated an additional $5,000 in compensation by the insurance company as an approximation in lost market value when his nearly new 5-series sustained significant, but not fatal, damage. Good luck.
  • Options
    josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    Anytime a new Maxima with 2000 miles is wrecked to the tune of 10,000 dollars it makes you sick inside..........thanks for the useful feedback............
  • Options
    I don't know if other Maxima owners have the same problem -- both my 92 and 97 Max OEM batteries died within 18 months of purchase. When I took them to the dealer, I was told that the cars were not driven enough. (My wife and I, combined, put about 5k to 6k a year on each car.)

I do not believe the dealer told the truth. In fact, after I replaced the OEM batteries with Diehard golds, I never had a problem even though the mileage we put on the cars has not changed. Instead, I believe the problem lies in the fact that the OEM batteries require maintenance (like adding distill water periodically)while the Diehards are completely maintenance free. I cannot believe why Nissan has failed to put in a maintenance free battery in its flagship car after all these years. To wit -- my 03 Max still uses the same old periodic maintenance battery.

Does anyone share my experience or opinion?
  • Options
    wtierneywtierney Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have insight into extended warranty for new 03 maxima. i.e. best prices and coverage thanks
  • Options
    I think you will find that most people will pass on the extended warranty for a Maxima. With the reliability of the Maxima, it's just not worth it.
  • Options
    So I see you lived through the New Year without combusting... After that message from the other day, we all breathe a sign of relief. :) Happy New Year! :)
  • Options
    Not at this point, however I did consume the "traditional" southern foods. It was sooo good, probably because yours truly cooked it, lol! Hopefully it will bring me good luck, I'm heading to Florida to get lottery tickets this weekend, and a little R & R.

And a Happy New Year to you! :)
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Hi, I'm considering an 03 maxima but have noticed that there's no way to get traction control without having a leather package on the car. Is this what most of you have seen? When you "build your own" on the site, traction control is only available with leather.
    I don't want leather. I love the cloth Nissan uses and prefer a cloth seat. But I also love traction control (have it on my current vehicle).
    Anyone out there have Trac with cloth? How'd you get it??

Thanks.
  • Options
    One of Nissan's dumb marketing gimics. Load the car up with everything so you can get what you want. The only way to get it is to order leather, sorry.

I think it should really be standard, because the 255hp is incredibly easy to lose control of. It scared the heck outta me the first time I hit it (in a rental), and I drive a Jetta turbo as a daily driver, so I am used to a sudden burst of power.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the helical limited slip front diff option will help control some of the power.
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Dang, thanks for the answer. I was afraid of that.
    Why must Nissan tie perfectly important safety options to stupid things like leather seats and sunroof??? Not that I wouldn't mind having those things. But safety options should come packaged with cosmetic ones. Shoot... I really liked the Maxima.
  • Options
    dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    My 2002 is TERRIBLE in snow. It is because of the performance tires ..nice n wide..and soft for GREAT dry traction and cornering. First bad snow I have had to drive it in was this year. I drive for a living, so I know enough to take it nice 'n easy when conditions warrant. But car will swerve left and right with light exccelaration up hill on curves. Any hows my question is ..what are you guys driving with in snow. I just went to tire rack .com and order a complete set (4 tires, 4 steel wheels. and 4 wheel covers) of the Blizzak WS-60 16 inchers( I know orig eqpt is 17") Anyone else use those tires? But damned..that set me back $638.00. But I figure I will have them for years to come, and if it prevents one accident GREAT. Also I realized after the order it will increase life span of the original eqpt. tires.
  • Options
    I haven't been here in awhile. I browsed some past post and noticed you had questions on polish and you clear coat. I don't know how you resloved it. I too have the sterling mist. I used the Zaino's and am VERY happy with the results. I bought the 2002 in December of 2001. Used the Zainos about March of 2002. I did not need to use it again till 2 weeks ago. It leaves a beautiful finish on car. I feel it also protects it from the harshness of road grime and most important the salt put down during snowy weather. Since the new coat of Zaino's has been put on all of the "road rot" comes off so easy. A little late but HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND HAPPY DRIVING!
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I bought the Blizzak WS-50's (December 2000) in the 205/55/15" size after I experienced the same issue with my 00 SE (also Sterling Mist). It was fine the first winter with the all seasons but the second winter was terrible. ( And yes, those 15" wheels are really ugly in the wheel wells of the Maxima!)

This was the first set of dedicated snows I'd ever bought and I for one am completely sold on the idea from now on.

I used them last winter as well and haven't had to put them on yet this year (no snow in Wisconsin yet).

I think you'll be absolutely shocked at how well the car handles with the dedicated snows on.

A word of warning, keep a close eye on the air pressure in the snows, mine for some reason seem to need attention much more frequently than the 17" tires.

I check mine every couple of days and seem to have to make adjustments about once a week.
  • Options
    ambriatidambriatid Member Posts: 7
    1999 Maxima, changed battery, car will not start, could it be anti-theft immobilizer system? If so what can be done. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Thanx 4 the feed back. I ordered 16"(215/60) along with what looks like(in the picture) pretty descent looking wheel covers.
  • Options
    Every time I've ever had a battery changed, the service technicians plug a device (backup battery?)into the cigarette lighter socket in order to keep from losing all of the vehicles programming (ie radio presets, security systems, etc.).

If this wasn't done correctly (and it doesn't sound like it was) I don' think it's the car's fault, it's the person who changed the battery not knowing the correct procedure!

That said, I don't think you have much choice now but to have the dealer get involved to resolve this problem.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Shouldn't that be in the owners manual on possible complications. In my manual it shows the procedures for changing a battery. Since the problem occurred, two out of the three dealerships in this area state that they are unaware of a problem when changing the battery. Wish I had known before. So are you saying that I have to take it to a dealer just to change the battery? Is there anything else that I should know so that this doesn't happen again? Can I deactivate this system since is was standard on my vehicle. Us traveling women don't like to be stranded.

Thanks,

Deb
  • Options
    I checked both of my owner's manuals (95 GLE and 00 SE) and neither one says anything about maintaining power to the car while changing the battery.

They both say however to check with your Nissan dealer for battery replacement. Now I wouldn't ever buy a battery at a Nissan dealer but when I got the last one at Sears (for the 95), I didn't have any trouble since they apparently knew what had to be done and did it automatically.

I'm still on the original battery in the 2000 at 115,000 miles.

Why did you change the battery in the first place? Were you having trouble startin g the car? Who changed your battery? Do you have any potential recourse with them?

If not, then it sounds like your stuck going to the dealer this time.

My 95 (with 195,000 miles) is only on it's second battery. Maybe you've got another problem with the starting/charging system?

I also travel a lot and certainly don't want to be stranded. That's why I drive Maxima(s).

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Maybe it wasn't the battery, I have not had any problems with the car whatsoever, oh well except running into to bubba one time. But, I had to let the car sit for about a week and when I returned I had to give it a jump. That was about a month ago. Then the other day, it required a jump start again, but it was pretty cold here in Texas, 35 degrees. I jump started it got home decided could not afford to be stranded anywhere so I purchased a new battery. I did not seem to be experiencing any altenator problems, dimming lights ect. I then put the (old) battery on a charger and it did not get a charge. Could you suggest what other problem could be?
  • Options
    pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    If you guys wanna see more pics of the 2004 Maxima check out this site: http://www.autonews.com/files/2003_detroit/03detroitshowart/Nissan/Maxima/

It also a couple pics of the interior (2+2 seating).

• Options
    pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    nissan press release:

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY NISSAN

Nissan to unveil all-new Maxima

The all-new 2004 Nissan Maxima continues the formula passed down from five previous generations - an unmatched blend of performance and luxury. The sixth generation Maxima combines traditional Maxima performance with expressive sports styling and bold innovation to create a top-of-the-line sports sedan.

An aggressive new exterior design captures the characteristics of a performance car and a luxury sedan all in one, with a chiseled, muscular shape and pronounced character lines. Inside, the expressive design theme continues. Standard on all models is an industry-first Skyview™ Roof, which creates an open environment for front and rear passengers while maintaining a solid roof structure. An optional Elite Package 4-seat layout gives the interior a distinctive sports car-like design, further separating Maxima from its competitors.

One thing that has not changed is Maxima's legendary performance. Maxima is powered by the award-winning VQ 3.5-liter engine, increased in 2004 to 260-plus horsepower. An all-new multi-link independent rear suspension provides superior handling and increased ride comfort. The 2004 Maxima is scheduled to go on sale in March 2003 at more than 1,100 Nissan dealers nationwide. Highlights of the 2004 Maxima include:

Body

Completely new, aggressive exterior designed to bolster Maxima's sporty image
    Chiseled, muscular shape with pronounced character lines and distinctive C-pillar design adds a sport coupe-like silhouette
    Nissan signature styling cues have been adopted in the hood and grille
    Auto on/off xenon headlights standard on 3.5 SL (optional on 3.5 SE)
    18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with V-rated 245/45R18 tires, standard on the 3.5 SE
    All-new FF-L (front engine, front-wheel drive large) platform adopted for Maxima increases torsional rigidity 40%
    Dual exhaust with four ports and chrome finishers
    Chrome-colored accents on roof moldings
    UV reducing solar glass
    Eight exterior colors

Engine and Driveline

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 producing 260-plus horsepower and 250-plus lb-ft torque
    Engine features include electronic throttle, silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, molybdenum coated pistons, resin intake collector, digital knock control system, cross flow coolant pattern and higher capacity muffler
    Platinum-tipped spark plugs with 100,000-mile maintenance intervals
    6-speed close ratio manual transmission optional on 3.5 SE models
    Gated 5-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with manual shift mode standard on 3.5 SE
    4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with gated shifter standard on 3.5 SL
    Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS) available on all A/T models
    Available Helical Limited-Slip Differential (3.5 SE manual)

Suspension, Steering and Braking

Independent strut front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bar
    All-new multi-link independent rear suspension for superior handling and ride comfort
    4-wheel power-assisted disc brakes, standard 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
    17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels - 7-spoke on 3.5 SL - with P225/55R17 tires
    Standard 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P245/45R18 tires on 3.5 SE

Interior Features

Five-passenger seating with luxury cloth or leather-appointed seats and 60/40 split fold-down rear bench with lock
    Optional Elite Package with 4-passenger seating layout with two rear bucket seats, rear console design resembles front console, includes power rear sunshade and cargo pass-through
    Standard 8-way power driver's seat (4-way power passenger seat on 3.5 SL) with entry/exit feature (A/T only)
    240-watt 8-speaker audio system with AM/FM/cassette/CD with steering wheel-mounted controls on 3.5 SE
    320-watt 8-speaker BoseÒ premium audio system with AM/FM/cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, speed-sensitive auto volume control and RDS radio function standard on 3.5 SL
    Available Nissan Navigation System with 3-D Birdview™ 7.0-inch display
    Heated front seats on 3.5 SL (available on 3.5 SE)
    Dual zone air conditioning with automatic temperature control and rear vents
    Center display that provides HVAC, audio system and trip computer functions in one central location

Safety and Security

Standard dual-stage air bags with seat belt sensors and front seat side-impact supplemental air bags and curtain side-impact supplemental air bags
    Front-seat active head restraints, 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver's seat ELR only) including rear center position
    Front seat belts with adjustable upper anchors with pretensioners and load limiters
    LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren) child seat anchors and tether system
    Emergency inside trunk-release

Models and Manufacturing

Offered in two models: 3.5 SE and 3.5 SL
    Exterior and interior designed at Nissan Technical Center (NTC) in Atsugi, Japan
    Assembled for the first time in the United States at the award-winning Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd Tennessee Plant