Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Standard equipment and optional equipment are both listed here. But if you found what you need, I'm glad to hear it! :-)
  • josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    Hi……..has anyone had a problem with a wind noise leak on their Maxima?…………..I’ve got an 03 Maxima that makes a slight swishing and whistling from a rear side window when the speed reaches or exceeds 50mph………….any thoughts would be welcome…………..Thanks, jl
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I know an 01 Maxima owner who had the same problem. Had it fixed by a Nissan dealer under warranty. I believe that it involved replacement of the window rubber seal. I wonder if Nissan has a TSB on this problem.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    was on the 2000-2002 Nissan Maxima's.

I know because I have one (2000 SE) and it was addressed through a TSB.

The TSB number is Reference # NTB01-029A, issued April 16, 2002.

If you'd like a copy (It's a six page .pdf file) let me have an e-mail address you'd like it sent to and I'll get it over to you.
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    The fix seems to be fatter seals...Had mine done twice and the noise still comes and goes. Now that it's real cold I can actually feel the leak.
  • roc797froc797f Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for this information. I thought it was just my car. You are right, now that it is cold, the noise is much worse. Hopefully, the first attempt to fix with take care of it...I can hope.
    I am not sure the title fits. I would like comments on the following. I have a 2002 SE and for the last 13K miles (bought used with 20K) I have noticed that if I floor the gas peddle when going about 30-40 mph the car will accelarate like my old 130 hp accord. At any other speed, the car accelerates forcefully. Is this normal? BTW since I purchased the car, I have been using 91 octane - I know I may be throwing my money away - but..............
    Thanks for this information. I thought it was just my car. You are right, now that it is cold, the noise is much worse. Hopefully, the first attempt to fix with take care of it...I can hope.
  • jimmyb123jimmyb123 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone out there can help I would really appreciate it. I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima. A mechanic did faulty work that caused the transmission to completely deteriorate. The mechanic knows he performed the faulty repair, but will not pay for it. Does anyone have information on the reliability of Nissan Transmissions? This will help me extremely in small claims court. Thanks
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I believe the 1996-99 (aka 4th gen) tranny's were pretty good. Lots of trouble in 2000-01, not sure what differences are, just going by posts I've read here and other Max boards over last few years.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    do you have traction control? if so, that may be the answer. turn it off and see what happens.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Is not normal ! I had a vaguely similar problem
    with my '00 Max. It took 3 months for the SES light to come on. It turned out to be a bad MAF
    sensor ( replaced under warranty ). Now she's
    a rocket again.

Try checking computer codes. I hear that AutoZone
    will do it either free or for a very minimal charge.

BTW, you've got a Maxima....treat her right and give her the good stuff ...93 octane. Sometimes
    you can't always hear the pinging with the 87 & 91
    octane.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    Anybody here have cold weather bugs with the 6th generation car?

People at Maxima.Org are complaining about poor heaters, the LCD display not working, CD skipping, etc.
  • markdouglasmarkdouglas Member Posts: 9
    Driving my 2000 SE (71,000 miles) tonight, the engine started running rough. When I restarted the car after being parked at a restaurant, the "SLIP" "TCS OFF" "SES" warning lights all lit up and the engine ran very rough. Help !!! What might be wrong ??
    Virtually the exact same thing happened to my 00 Maxima SE at about 100,000 miles. I was able to limp to the dealer where they diagnosed a bad ignition coil.

I had all six replaced (they just connect at the top of each spark plug). Coils were ~$75 each.
    There are a lot of complaints about the 2004 Maximas. Vibration in the steering wheel, mediocre Bose stereo (curiously the concensus is that the 4th generation Max Bose was the best), bubbles under seat fabric, bad brake rotors, etc. I have made up my mind - my next car is Infiniti G 35. For now, my 98 Max SE 5 speed is running great and no problems. .
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I too am concerned about the quality deterioration of the Maxima, not to mention its less than impressive interior. The G35, BMW 3 & 5 series and E320CDI will be on my list when my 95 Maxima dies. Curious, since we seem to have similar tastes and concerns, have you looked at the 2004 TL 6-speed?
    but at $5000 more than the Maxima, I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Plus, the Maxima is bigger, which is also important given the car's role as our primary vehicle.
    Unfortunately, there is no Acura dealership within 70 miles of my location. This is why I have not looked at this car. However, I read about it and it appears a good choice.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Judging how the 04 TL is beating the 04 Max in almost every aspect, I think my next car will probably be the TL, but that won't happen till three or more years later (because my 03 Max is only a year old). Nissan has a lot of catching up to do, if it wants to beat Acura in this hotly contested near luxury market. IMHO, and I believe many will agree, the current 04 Max just won't cut it.
    Read at TOV how unhappy most Hondaphiles are with the TL, and then tell me how it beats the Max in "almost every respect"
  • larry4nylarry4ny Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2002 Maxima SE.. and the ABS light comes on.. The brakes get crunchy for a sec and thats it. Light stays on for a couple of starts and then gone. The dealer has no idea since it had not come on. It only comes on when I get the car washed.. Does this mean I need brakes is my abs messed up? How do I get results if it disapears so quickly..
    Sorry I don't know what "TOV" stands for, but from reading here on Edmunds the TL and TL comparo threads (including the thread on Near Luxury Performance Cars), it seems apparent that most, if not all, 04 TL owners are VERY happy with their cars. In fact, I don't think the TL is compared with the Max. Instead, the TL is compared with more upscale cars like the ES 330, BMW 3 series, Volve S60 and G35 etc. It is unfortunate (and disappointing) for Nissan that the 04 Max does not make the cut ... that much is clear from at least the standpoint of car buyers who are interested in the near luxury segment.
    IMHO, Nissan/Infiniti should re-examine the position of the Max in its line-up, unless it is its intention that the flagship Max should linger in obscurity, just like the flagship RL currently is in Honda/Acura.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Excellent point. The Max in its present configuration and price point is doomed to obscurity a la the Acura RL. In fact, do you ever remember seeing an RL on the road? I know they must be out there, but I either haven't noticed or not recognized one. It is perhaps the most invisible car on the road.

The Maxima deserves a better fate. Nissan has to figure a way to make it a desirable alternative to the Altima SE. Right now, the main advantage of the Max is the total safety equipment package it offers (curtain air bags, anti-lock brakes), while most Altimas do not come equipped that way. I would hate for safety to be the primary difference between these cars, though. In my opinion, every car should have anti-locks and curtain air bags.

The Maxima is going to be in an even more precarious position in a few months when the upgraded Altima comes out.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    there should be computer codes generated if your abs light came on and went away...
    TOV = Temple of VTEC, which is the #1 Hondaphile site. Check it out at www.vtec.net.

I'd agree that the Max is streching to compete with the TL and ES300, especially given its a Nissan (opposed to Infiniti). However its hardly languishing. Nissan has modest sales goals of 70K for the Maxima, which YTD sales are ahead of. Further, most buyers seem satisfied too based on comments here at Edmunds, Maxima.Org and Freshalloy.com.

The Maxima has always been a strange product positioned above everyday Camri and Accords, but below the true near-luxury brands. This 6th Generation is more of the same.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, if we want to compare the Max to the TL or any other vehicle, we need to set up (or join) an appropriate discussion on our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board. Feel free. :)

Meanwhile, let's let this conversation get back to the Maxima.

Thanks.
    strictly Maxima's and only Maxima's.. i'm afraid this board will die very quickly... Everyone's already witness the slowdown of post in the last year or so on this thread...

i think talking about anything in the maxima world on this thread will make it more interesting and keep it alive
    "The Maxima has always been a strange product positioned above everyday Camri and Accords, but below the true near-luxury brands. This 6th Generation is more of the same."

That may have been true in the past, but the family sedan market has changed dramatically since a decade ago.

Then, Accords and Camrys were primarily 4-cylinder cars with little to offer in the way of driving excitement. Then, the Maxima was a clear and outstanding alternative with it's V-6 engine and 4-door sports car moniker. He had a clearly defined market segment.

Today, Accords and Camrys each have excellent 6-cylinder engines and, though still not true sports sedans, they are reasonable alternatives. In my opinion, their interior material quality is superior to that of the 04 Maximas. That should unsettle Nissan execs who see the new Maxima as a near-luxury competitor.

In addition, when the Altima was conceived its mission was to draw market share away from the Accord and Camry 4-cylinders. It did not cannibalize Maxima sales the way it has since the 2002 redesign and the 3.5 SE option.

So, in essence, the 04 Maxima is pretty much fighting the entire sedan world - the premium model Accords and Camrys, it's own stablemate, the Altima, and also, given its price range, the near-luxury cars.

Given its circumstances, Nissan is eventually going to realize that the only way to move this product is to deeply discount, which it is doing. Ads are running in my local paper for $24.9K stripper Maxes. And, at that price, it isn't a bad option.
    You have hit the nail on its head! Although Nissan would have liked to place the 04 Max in the near lux segment, it has failed to achieve its dreams. The competitors, such as the TL, have simply moved further upstream, and are able to realize the price/profit for the TRUE near lux market. Thus, like you have indicated, the only way Nissan can sell the 04 Max is to give deep discounts, and at $25k it is a viable option when compared with the Camcords.

If Nissan really wants to make the Max a near lux competitor, it must greatly improve the interior materials and decor, cure the torque steer, put in a few more gadgets (especially a much better stereo instead of the mediocre Bose "premium" system which is getting worse since the 4th gen), get rid of the bugs (such as steering wheel shimmies), improve on quality control, and provide better service to those Max buyers who are willing to expend more than $30k on a car.
    A free car wash and a loaner car will help.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    It was easier in thr old days when it was Maxima/Cressida and Camry/Stanza. Then car classes and sizes all changed.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'd be willing to bet the Maxima interior, stereo, etc. could be upgraded substantially to compete with the 2004 TL. Some of my objections are just ugly styling quirks compared with the clean lines of the TL and 3-series interior.

So, rather than discounting the current Maxima to compete with the Altima, Accord and Camry, I'd suggest to Nissan to try again, get it right and, if necessary, charge a little more. The 2004 TL finally gives someone looking for a sporty FWD near luxury sedan with a 6-speed manual an alternative to the Maxima. But I don't think the Maxima needs to roll over and play dead just yet.
    the maxima will never ever be able to compete with the near luxo cars like g35, TL, etc... it's a nissan for crying out loud! as long and hard as the nissan exec's try... they'll fail 10 out of 10 times.. then you add in the fact that their products are getting weirdier looking every year,their plan will not happen. (unlike the clean lines and quality of the other cars) I would never dish out that type of $ for the service they provide at a nissan dealership. the service dept are subpar, the sales try all kinds of financing games..just to give examples... just my opinion
    "it's a nissan for crying out loud! as long and hard as the nissan exec's try... they'll fail 10 out of 10 times.. then you add in the fact that their products are getting weirdier looking every year,their plan will not happen. (unlike the clean lines and quality of the other cars) I would never dish out that type of $ for the service they provide at a nissan dealership. the service dept are subpar, the sales try all kinds of financing games..just to give examples... just my opinion"

And which auto company has been the most successful in generating sales increases, profit increases, and market share increases in the last couple of years?

How do you rationalize your comments, even if they're "just your opinion".
    Nissan certainly has had a good run lately. No one is denying that. And, I think everyone who frequents this board likes or has in the past liked its products.

Kyle's point, and mine also, is simply that when it is time to dole out $30K plus for a sedan, it's difficult to look at Nissan and a Maxima when so many other more attractive choices beckon. Actually, this point has been made and remade.

I would like to hear from more 04 owners. Why did they choose the Maxima, and how satisfied are they? Are they satisfied that they received value for their money? Does the Maxima exceed their expectations?

The lack of 04 owner participation here (and granted, there are other more popular Maxima forums) indicates to me that either not many are buying the car, or those that buy them don't have much to say. Anyone?
    i acknowledge the fact that Nissan has done well the last 5 to 7 years in all aspects of sales, profits and market shares... but keep in mind, their positioning of the maxima is a completely new approach in their business...which i think most will agree, has not worked.

when they came out with the 95-99 maxima, it gained many fans and then the 00-03's built on that fan loyality.. and all the increase in sales/profits/market shares you were referring to were built on that timeframe.. i'm sure the 02-03 altima helped in this aspect also.. but moving the 04 maxima upscale to the near-luxo catalgorie, nissan can't compete with luxury badges.. thus my claim "nissan is still..just a nissan"...its almost like a Mazda Millenia will always be viewed as a Mazda and never a luxo competitor..it'll be sad if the max suffers the same fate.

Nissan did well because they had a niche, i'm not sure they have such niche anymore..
    As mentioned in earlier posts in this forum, the 04 Max has been likened to an American Buick with more horsepower, and hopefully better reliability. If you were to view, hypothetically, that 04 Max owners as Buick owners, they probably may be less passionate about the Max than earlier gen Max owners, and that may explain the lack of participation on this board.

The foregoing is intended only as a flame, and should be taken literally for its contents or implications thereof. This disclaimer is attributed only to the author, and should not be construed as an endorsement by Edmunds or its very kind and understanding hosts :-)
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    has enyone replaced this filter if so is it behind the glove box and is it available in after market sales.
  • ericuericu Member Posts: 16
    There seems to be a lot of negative vibes in this forum, but I am a new 04 owner... and after one month of use and 1500 miles later, I am very happy with my first car ownership ever. And I do have prior experience driving other cars owned by other people - parents, sister, friends, rent... (Volvo, Toyota, Nissan, Audi, Honda, Dodge, Mitsubishi). Maybe I am just lucky, but thus far I have not yet experienced any bugs that I have read about here (cold air leaks under driver side, squealing brakes, squeaking sound/rattles from the rear, distortion from stereo sound, steering wheel shimmies, etc). My only complaint is the atrocious turning radius of 40+ feet. It's like turning a truck sometimes. Also there is slight torque steer. Otherwise it is really fun and smooth to drive and very comfortable and spacious inside.

To answer some of your questions... I chose the Maxima partially because it appeared to be the best bang for the buck. I got it for a great price (before tax/fees, 23.96K with some extra stuff - mats, spoiler, guards). In my opinion, it was a great combo of performance, value, comfort, luxury, space, style, reliability, etc. I am very satisfied. It definitely thus far meets my expectations and then some. Would I do it again? yes, but it has only been a month :-) My sister has a 1996 Altima, and that had some influence on my Nissan purchase.

Maybe I am not the most experienced car owner, but at least I am personally happy with my vehicle which ultimately is what matters the most.
    did it come with an engine??? $24k is about $1000 under invoice on the most base of all maximas.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It's nice to hear from an '04 owner. Don't be afraid of venturing onto this forum. Maximas change enough for each generation that each owner tends to think theirs is the best. I have seen some bashing of the 00- 02's here and I love my '01. Maybe the thing is, we all really like our cars and can't imagine them being different! I do like hearing the reasons people made choices for Maximas. Like you, we thought in '01 we got a lot for our money. In fact it's the nicest car we've owned and we still enjoy getting into it every day, nearly 3 years later. Not a single problem (knock wood) so far. The turning radius must be a real change, because ours is not nearly so wide. Maybe because the car itself is bigger?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    of the new Max is no doubt influenced by the 18" wheels.

Ericu: At the price you paid, the 04 Maxima is an outstanding value. Was the price you paid influenced by any factors such as your trade in (did you get a fair price for your old car?) or end-of-the year discounting? That is about 1K under anything I've heard of. Also, how do you like the skylight roof?
    Welcome aboard ... no puns intended.

Congratulations on your becoming an owner of a brand new 04 Max. What a great price ($24k) ... you certainly get a lot of bang for your bucks.

At that price, forget about competing with the TL, which is perceived by Nissan as the 04 Max's nearest competitor. At that price, the Max will exceed Nissan's sales expectation, even though Nissan had said that it didn't want or expect to sell too many Maxes and was limiting the number of production units. At that price, the Max may even compete with the Camcords and Altimas in terms of sale volume, even though Nissan had said that the Max should be moved upmarket in terms of courting near lux car buyers and adding profits. At that price, the 04 Max costs even less than my 03 Max, which is totally unexpected (probably by everyone)for a newly designed car. Please note that I am not trying to imitate the repeated use of certain phrases, as was done by Bush in his State of the Union Address yesterday :-)

I wish Eric lots of luck in his enjoyment of the new car -- even though it is rumored that the 04 Max has quite a few first year bugs -- just as many of us have with ours.
  • ericuericu Member Posts: 16
    bowke28 (#7814) asked, "did it come with an engine???"

Good thought. On the day of delivery and prior to signing, the first thing I did was look under the hood. It in fact was there. I then looked the salesman right in the eye and asked him if it comes with the engine, and of course he is going to say yes. Therefore I then looked at the sales agreement for any fine print charging an additional fee for the engine. No such fine print existed. I then proceeded to signing the contract.

But in all seriousness, I got a good deal. The salesman simply asked me what will it take for me to buy it today, and I told him. I then put down a down payment ($500) the next day. He located the car I wanted (black, cloth, mats, guards, spoiler) and about 3 weeks later, I signed the contract and drove it home. It was not hail damaged. It was an automatic (manuals were on sale). It was not a demo. It had 33 miles on it. As far as I know, it was legitimate. One month later, I am still happy and the engine is still there. However, maybe the salesman is not.

Maybe it was because it was a volume dealer. Maybe it was because I brought my dad the next day and my dad came into the dealership with his clipboard and all of his questions. Maybe my dad intimidated them. Maybe the salesman found us so annoying that he just wanted to get it over with. Maybe we just outlasted him at the negotiation table. At least we now all know that this is an obtainable price for a great car.

To answer ramped1's questions (#7816): I did not trade in a car. This is the first car I have ever bought and owned. There were no official discounts, although it was the end of the year. I think the skyview roof is novel, especially how it stretches to the back. All it really does is provide additional lighting. It would be pretty cool if it actually opened, but I didn't want to drop another grand for the optional moon/sunroof. It's not often that I personally would want to open it anyway, other than maybe using the tilt option.
    sounds like a sweet ride .... enjoy, and keep us posted.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    Enjoy your new car! I have the same turning radius complaint with my '02 Maxima. I often find myself misjudging a turn into a parking space or not having enough room for a U-turn because of the wide turning circle. I bought the Maxima after owning a Honda Accord, which is a similar-size vehicle. The Accord had a noticeably smaller turning circle.

According to Edmunds' data, here are the turning circles for several sedans:

2004 Nissan Maxima: 40'
    2002 Nissan Maxima: 40'
    2004 Honda Accord EX-V6: 36.1'
    2000 Honda Accord EX-V6: 36.4'
    2004 Mazda 6s V6 : 38.7'
    2004 Toyota Avalon: 37.6'
    2004 Toyota Camry: 36.7'
    2000 Toyota Camry: 36.7'
    2004 Buick Park Avenue: 40'

Why does the Maxima (this generation and the last one) have such a large turning circle? Heck, it's as big as the Buick Park Avenue!
    As someone said above, the 18" wheels likely have a lot to do with it. Also, the car has a pretty long wheelbase relative to Accord, Mazda6 and Camry. What's the Altima?
    the maxima is no longer a competitor to the accord/camry. that is the altima's job now. the park avenue happens to be a direct competitor now.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    2004 Nissan Altima: 38.7' turning circle. Not very much less than the Maxima. Here are the turning circles, wheelbases and overall lengths:

2004 Nissan Maxima: 40.0'_____ 111.2"____ 193.5"
    2002 Nissan Maxima: 40.0'_____ 108.3"____ 191.5"
    2004 Nissan Altima: 38.7'_____ 110.2"____ 191.5"
    2004 Honda Accord V6: 36.1'_____ 107.9" ____ 189.5"
    2000 Honda Accord V6: 36.4'_____ 106.9" ____ 188.8"
    2004 Mazda 6s V6 : 38.7'_____ 105.3"____ 186.8"
    2004 Toyota Avalon: 37.6'_____ 107.1" ____ 191.9"
    2004 Toyota Camry: 36.7'_____ 107.1" ____ 189.2"
    2000 Toyota Camry: 36.7'_____ 105.2"____ 188.5"
    2004 Buick Park Avenue: 40.0'_____ 113.8"____ 206.8"

The current Maxima is just slightly longer (total length) than the Accord, Camry and Avalon. It is quite a bit shorter than the Park Avenue. The wheelbase is longer than most of the above cars, but less than the Park Avenue.

Here are a few more FWD sedans (turning circle, wheelbase, length):

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix: 37.4'_____ 110.5" ____ 198.2"
    2004 Acura RL: 36.1'_____ 114.6"____ 196.6"
    2004 Chevy Impala: 38.0'_____ 110.5" ____ 200"
    2004 Chrysler Concorde: 37.6'_____ 113"____ 207.7"

As can be seen, the Maxima has perhaps the longest turning circle of any FWD car, even those that are much longer and have longer wheelbases. I don't really know what this means in terms of handling or design or quality. Probably not a whole lot, other than parking lot maneuverability and for U-turns. I am curious, however, why the Maxima has such a large turning circle.