Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    eksterekster Member Posts: 22
    to just ignore 949 and 950 and all similar off-topic posts, and avoid the post/counterpost nonsense. Hopefully Apex will see these and remove them along with this one.
  • Options
    frank97frank97 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Max2001 for post #908 with a link to the new TSB about 2000-01 maxima A/T slips from first to second or second to third gear. But no one seems at all interested in talking about technical issues related to the maxima. If anyone does not know what a TSB is it stands for Technical Service Bulletin.

Does anyone have any technical thoughts about this new bulletin or how it might effect your maxima. Someone in a different forum posted the new TSB and within a few hours their were 31 replies after 24 hours their were 54 replies. This is a very big issue with maximas, does anyone care to comment.
  • Options
    edwardsa1edwardsa1 Member Posts: 34
    I just bought a 2001 SE 5-speed (w/ C&C pkg, Bose, micron air filter, splash guards and floor mats). I am considering swapping out the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s with Michelin Pilot XGT Z4s.

How do people like the stock tires? The retail on the Michelins is just slightly higher than the Bridgestones (less than $10 per tire). How much can I expect to pay for the trade if I do it?
  • Options
    gary01glegary01gle Member Posts: 4
    Which forum was the TSB posted in?
  • Options
    brooklyn3brooklyn3 Member Posts: 9
    I'm another new '01 gle owner. Got the car with 4 miles on it (1/20/01) and I'm up to about 30 miles now. Noticed a slight metallic ring or rattle somwhere behind the ash tray (ot whatever it is now called). Any advice on this matter. I believe I am one of those with inadequate auto savvy. Plan to ask for frequent advice.

Had toyos on my previous beast and they were great.
  • Options
    shermaxshermax Member Posts: 31
    Glad to know this is a new TSB and covers Maximas manufactured before September '00. I thought all that were manufactured after April were clear! So for I've had no problems, but i'll print out a copy for my file.

Anyone experiencing delayed shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd?? This will deal with it.
  • Options
    joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    TSB # NTB00039 is the TSB pertaining to the 1st to 2nd gear "slip". And has been in the Nissan corp. tag since October 9, 2000 @ 9:46:05PM. So...that's not a new TSB. If you have such a problem, your dealer will be aware of it.
  • Options
    vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    Car has 10,000 miles on it with the front crank broken. Nissan wants either a rebuild or a reman to be put in the car. I want a new engine. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    The TSB is dated December 4, 2000 not October 9, 2000. The number is NTB00-039a not NTB00-039 and it reads 2000-2001 Maxima automatic transmission slips from 1st to 2st "or" 2st to 3rd Gear not just 1st to 2st as you stated. This tsb has been revised and changed and is not the same tsb that you were referring to.

As far as your dealer being aware of this tsb, most people have to twist their dealer's arms to get a tsb performed. I to wonder why nobody is concerned regarding this tsb.

George
  • Options
    lsflsf Member Posts: 98
    I didn't see the earlier TSB because my Max was assembled in 5/00. However, it looks as if the culprit is the solenoid valve assembly rather than the tcm. Someone want to explain what the solenoid valves do?
  • Options
    sidmansidman Member Posts: 10
    edwards,
    I am very close to buying exactly the Maxima you described--SE 5 speed, CC Pak, Bose.

I have had a hard time finding a 2001 manual to test drive but found a used 2000 at a local dealer just to get a feel for the manual transmission.

I found 1st and 2nd gears to be extremely tight and hard to get into. Is that Normal or was that '00 just screwed up?

Also, just let me know how you like the car.

Thanks
  • Options
    max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    I bought a 01 SE, 5spd in Nov. and yes the 1 and 2nd are very tight. I find the problem especially pronounced when the car is cold. I test drove three 5spds, a GXE, SE and 20th An. and they all exhibited the same characteristics.

I have seen similar complaints from others in other forums.

But when all is said and done, still the think the car is great.

hope that helps

rm
  • Options
    norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    I assume that's what you are talking about... If so, your engine might be all messed up because of overstressing of some parts as the whole system was grinding to a halt when it happened.

I believe you are entitled to a new engine. Just make sure you do not end up with a story similar to that Altima one... (Although I would not mind a $20 deductible service for 100,000 miles.)
  • Options
    cspirercspirer Member Posts: 7
    I will be buying an '01 Maxima GLE, auto trans,sunroof, etc. Any chronic Maxima problems I should be looking out for? The last Nissan I owned was actually a Datsun, that's how long ago it was. My dealer has a pretty good reputation, but I'd like to be prepared.
    Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    whacko - your yesterday's post is a masterpiece! My eyes are still wet...

shermax and lsf - My car was assembled in Nov+Dec '99 but I have not experienced the delayed shift problem. On the other hand, I had an '85 Galant (a car that was claimed to have one of the first electronically controlled trannies on the market) which had that problem. The shop had fooled around for some time, and they eventually replaced a cluster of "solenoids" - I believe there were five of them - which opened and closed A/T fluid passages. It improved the situation. Maybe someone in the know can comment on Maxima specifics...
  • Options
    I've had an 00 GLE since last August. So far, it's been great. The problems that some here have had include: delayed/slippage in the AT shifting for which there is a TSB for pre-Sept. 00 Maxes, various squeaks and rattles including around the sub woofer, the A-pillar and glove bax latch, motor mount noises and some say the paint chips easily. Have I missed anything?

I have not experienced any of these problems. I would also say that most participants here have universally enjoyed the Maximas.
  • Options
    Then there are some issues related to dealer prep: Overtightened wheel lugs (which in some cases leads to warped rotors), overinflated tires, pulled-out clock fuse and such. You may mention these to your trusted dealer to keep him honest...
  • Options
    I don't know if these are "chronic" issues, but these have been discussed here periodically since last August.
  • Options
    ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    so what youre all basically saying is the mudguards only come in black and i need to get them painted by a body shop. would the body shop have the exact color? or would the colors be sorta mismatched? and how much would it cost to paint them?
  • Options
    gnlgnl Member Posts: 94
    Hey kyle, how's everything. I haven't been here in a while, just wanted to say I'm really surprised the TCS didn't work for you. We went to Michigan for two weeks over Christmas. Snow piled shoulder deep, very icy roads because salt doesn't work below 15 degrees (it was BITTER cold those two weeks), and the TCS worked great for us! I felt very confident in the Max (I have a 2000 GLE). We saw the TCS light come on several times, but we never skidded, never had a heart-pounding moment at all. (And boy did we love those heated seats as well!)

No chance you had accidentally turned the TCS off, is there?
  • Options
    You're absolutely correct. Though the TSB NTB00039 was released to us on October 9th, 2000...You'll notice that anything afterthat (pertaining to this TSB anyhow) is simply an update. The problem is known...and if you or anyone else have a problem getting such work done, speak to the service mngr, and give them the TSB number....if they still give you a hard time, dump that particular dealer.....you're dealing with one of the dealers that give us a bad name !

Joe
  • Options
    vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    I meant to say that it was the front cam shaft. The cam sensor was also sheared off. I haven't heard from Nissan after I answered their first voice mail. We haven't got into a "I want-- you want-- yet".
  • Options
    iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    Right on Joe!! I went to Classic Nissan in Turnersville NJ and they were totally clueless about the TCM change. I went to Woodbury Nissan and they said no problem we know about it and we will fix it right away. That was 6 months ago and I have been enjoying my car ever since. Don’t accept dumb dealers!!

Dave
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    gnl, tell me about it! i thought that the tcs would work too.. but u know what it was? i was braking while trying to make a turn.. so i guess i must've gotten some snow under my tires and slipped... well.. slipped might be the wrong term..it was more.... slided into the snow bank.. the thing about the max tcs is that it cuts power to the wheel that is slipping while accelerating...i wasn't accelerating, i was braking.... but thank god i have no damage.. snow bank was soft enough..but i did go up a curb.. so gotta check my alignment. i too feel confident while driving in snow... just be careful when u're braking in snow and ice... like 4 wheel drives, it might get u going, but it might not get you to stop... shermax, i had to call a locksmith to pull my window out a little and he used a rod to unlock my door.
  • Options
    gnlgnl Member Posts: 94
    Well then, you can't blame the Max! It worked like it was supposed to.

When I took driver's ed in Michigan (a LONG time ago!), my instructor stressed time and again that the driver should avoid hard braking on snow, and particularly on ice, as much as possible. He really emphasized the importance of slowing down before corners, braking before a curve and accelerating out of it, etc. Guess it paid off because I still remember it!

Nevertheless, I'm glad to be back here in Virginia where an inch of snow is considered a "storm," and it all disappears in a day or so anyway.

Glad to hear you didn't have any damage, anyway, except to the ego!
  • Options
    tshort1tshort1 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a used 2000 GXE in November with 26,000 miles. Build date was 10/99. Love the car, but notice one irritating item. On very slight steady acceleration between 35 and 40 MPH, there is what "in the olden days" I would have called a ring gear and pinnion noise. Noise is only on light acceleration or steady speed(none when decelerating or on heavy acceleration) and goes away above 40 MPH. If I turn OD off, do not notice it.

I guess I could live with the slight noise, but I am one who is sensitive to these things and it gets more troublesome. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? Mentioned to my servicing dealer and he suggested that I watch it for awhile since I had just gotten the car and was "adjusting to it". Also, reminded me that transmission was covered for 5/60.

Thanks for any comments.

tshort1
  • Options
    jay_75jay_75 Member Posts: 10
    BKSO or anyone who has had the same problem as was listed before (ignition problem and the related TSB), could you please tell me the TSB number from Nissan? The dealer I'm working with says they have never heard of this problem, or any TSB...

actualy, their words were "TSB? what is a TSB?"....no joke. I'm giving them the benefit of time and I will hope they have a decent service department that can learn how to deal with TSB's. Not that I have much of a choice in the Southwest Virginia area.

If anyone in Southwest Virginia/Northeast Tennesse/Southern West Virginia/etc area knows of a good dealership, could you post it here? thanks
  • Options
    I never changed my CM because I was told "I didn't need to and it didn't apply to my car" (2000 GXE with the old build date). Since I didn't notice a major shifting problem (just a slight hesitation from 1st to 2nd when it was cold - but I've noticed that with most of the automatics I've owned) I didn't push it. Did the CM change produce a dramatic or subtle difference, and what was it.

The problem I noticed some time ago was that if I am driving at low speed, and let up on the gas for a second, and gun it,I get a thump or bang in what sounds like the cranny. It is especially noticeable if going uphill. It's stopped because I don't try to reproduce it any more! But I'm sure it's still there. Any comments - this doesn't seem normal.
  • Options
    Sorry, tried the spell check for the first time and it changed TCM to CM and tranny to cranny.
  • Options
    That's what I called it some weeks back in one of my (slightly) off-topic posts. And I stopped using this new spellchecker, for better or for worse.

However, the upside is that once posted, you can go back and push the Edit "button" under your message title and fix your message for the next 30 minutes. (After that, the only way to change the message is to delete it. That renumbers all the messages which have been posted after the deleted message.)
  • Options
    I heard a bang or thump quite some time ago and wasn't quite sure what it was or whether I was dreaming. I haven't heard anything since. If you've been able to reproduce it, I would get it checked out. Also, try stepping on it occasionally. Get it up to 5000 RPMs and see how it shifts. (It's okay, this car is made to take it.) I'd like to know how it responds. If you can still reproduce the bang/thump, I would definitely get it looked at. Good Luck.....(and stay away from the spellchecker.)
  • Options
    My car was built in July of 99. When I had the TCM changed there was a dramatic change with first to second shifts. They became very quick and positive without any hesitance or slipping. I am a lead foot so I accelerate very fast most of the time. If you have the problem you will definitely notice it under hard acceleration. I had 21000 miles when I had it changed; I now have 31500 total miles and its perfect.

Does anyone know why the new 2002 Altima was not at the Auto show? Seems kind of strange not to see a 2002 model there especially since the 2003 Z was there.
  • Options
    Was your acceleration bad from the beginning or was this a condition that started slowly and got worse? Also, are you concerned at all that the TSB has changed. As I wrote earlier, I didn't look carefully at the earlier TSB, but the new one replaces the solenoid first and then (if needed) the TCM. Do you know if your solenoid assembly was replaced?
  • Options
    danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I heard that the 2002 Altima will be shown at the New York auto show in April; which I am really looking forward to.
  • Options
    Ekster I had the slip problem from the first day I drove home my car in July of 99. I knew there was something wrong but until the first TSB came out in March I was getting the brush off from my original dealer. My old car was a 96 max that shifted better then my 2000 at the time so that just reinforced to me that something was wrong. I am not worried about the new tsb with the replacement of the solenoid since I no longer have the problem.

Danny25 thanks for the info on the 2002 Altima I hope it’s at The Philadelphia show in February
  • Options
    infiniti_lemoninfiniti_lemon Member Posts: 21
    Maybe you guys can help me out, seeing that you are either Nissan customers or potential buyers. I appreciate any support you guys can give me.

Here is the website detailing my problems with Infiniti/Nissan over my lemon QX4. Putting the finishing touches on it this week, and I'm thinking about buying an appropriate domain name for it.

read all about it:

http://sleepwalk.home.mindspring.com

• Options
    I don't know whether to feel sorry for you for the condition of your car or the condition of your mind! Clearly you've had some issues with your car, but I think you've gone a bit overboard with every little noise. Hey, cars are mechanical things that make noise. If the roof rack makes a noise, it's clearly a design defect. Going back and forth to the dealer isn't going to solve the problem and it won't make you any friends at the dealer. Lodge your complaint and move on. When they get a fix, they'll probably notify you. Certainly you can check in with them periodically to find out if any progress has been made. Scratches on the dash glass? Did you clean it with an improper cleanser? Given you're a neatnik, you may have unwittingly contributed to this problem as well as a the stereo button thing. The sulfer smell? I've smelled it before on the road usually when I'm behind a Honda and usually upon acceleration. I don't think it's a "problem."

Good luck
  • Options
    rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    After reading your story, I have this to say: "You should've bought a Lexus SUV. Toyota products are far superior over Nissan."
  • Options
    Lately, the temperatures here have been around freezing point in the morning. And I noticed something a couple of times: When I back out of the garage, then shift to Drive (and hit the gas pedal to go forward), the car moves ahead with a hard jolt. Is that related to the TCM problem? (My y2k GLE is a late 1999 build and the drive train and all electronics have not been touched.) It only happens the first thing in the morning, to my knowledge. Can anyone shed some light on this?

BTW, the slogan of the day: "Got Lemon? Create a Website!" Whatcha think, whacko? :=0
  • Options
    whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    The car jolts forward because the molecular structure of the gas pedal, versus the weight of your foot, versus the pressure placed on the pedal causes the hard density of the gasoline to accumulate around the fuel vessel, therefore constricting the flow of the fuel. However, if you use a fuel additive such as Heneiken beer (a German product), the hard density of the fuel will soften and relax and prevent flow constriction. And if you're under the age where you cannot purchase Heneiken, try using a stool softener instead. It will work just as well. However, if using a fuel additive doesn't work, I suggest completely overhauling the engine and perhaps maybe even replacing the transmission all together. Good luck.
  • Options
    sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I think you got it right. I followed your explanation very carefully, and it does indeed make a lot of sense. You got one point wrong though - Heineken, I believe is Dutch!
  • Options
    It sounds to me that you need to be driving a mercedes Benz S500, and not an SUV. The QX4 is, in it's size-class, the quietest SUV...and that includes the Lexus RX.
    A roofrack on any vehicle is going to make some sort of noise, and I'm surprised you didn't notice it on any test drives you may have taken before the SUV was purchased.
    As for using the lemon-law...I'm affraid you'll have an uphill batte...since it requires that the car have a serious defect making it undrivable. None of which you've mentioned.
    The little stuff such as a dirty loaner, so-called scratched binacle cover etc, are just that...little...not something Infiniti's about to give you a new SUV for.
    I've worked on MANY Nissan Pathfinders, which is the same vehicle ...minus the different 4WD system, and a difference in sound deadening, and a few minor trim pieces. I've never heard of any customer complaining of the things you have. Most folks purchasing an SUV..expect it not to ride, sound, or handle like a luxury sedan.
    With that said...I do hope you get what you're looking for but...I don't think you'll find it in any SUV. At least not one in the smallish SUV line-up.

Good luck

Joe
  • Options
    It irks me to get brushed-off as being "too picky" pertaining to my case. I would not be going through lemon law if my only problem was minor scratches. Also, this is my second SUV, so I know perfectly well not to expect the quietest sportscar ride. Aside from the roof rack, the noises I have heard concern mechanical and structural problems, and are not just your average rattle.

The roof rack issue is one that numerous owners have compalined about, and Infiniti has supposedly been trying to redesign for the past several months. If it were so minor I'm sure they wouldn't put forth the effort.

You are very wrong in your assertion about the lemon law. You don't have to prove it's undriveable- you have to prove that you have defects that were not repaired during a reasonable number of attempts, and that affect the use, safety, or value of the vehicle. All one has to do is look at the pictures of the welding job they did to know that the value of my QX4 has sunk.

I guess you may have not heard anybody else complaining, but does that then mean my claims are somehow not valid? Every company makes lemons, and the important thing to focus on is how companies treat the unfortunate owners.

I am not in lemon law because I got an attack of buyer's remorse. For a solid month I requested that Infiniti just replace my QX4 with a new one- I figured I would be happy that way. But since I've seen how they 've treated me, I now just want a refund.

I wish I could give a glowing report about Nissan/Infiniti, and talk about how much I love my vehicle. It is not my fault that I can't. When I bought it I wanted nothing more than a nice, dependable, reliable vehicle that I didn't have to think about past regular maintenance.
  • Options
    L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    I hope that your situation is resolved to your satisfaction. However, please keep in mind that this is a Maxima topic and that the interests of Maxima shoppers and buyers are a priority here.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    There are many differences pertaining to lemon laws from state to state to but...they ALL have one common factor...They all have to be problems that cause the vehicle to be UNDRIVABLE...either by a dangerous flaw or, by simply not running at all.
    That's NOT to say Infiniti WON'T end up doing as you ask but...if Infiniti doesn't give in, and they do go to arbitration, based on what you've told us, you'll lose. So...you may want to (if Infiniti offers something reasonable) take them up on the offer.
    Under normal circumstances, I'd say "The customer is always right"...BUT...in your case, you're complaining about nitpicky (other than maybe the welding portion) things, that may just be that you're too picky about your SUV expectations.
    In any event...even if Infiniti doesn't do as you ask...all is not lost. I would suggest selling the vehicle and getting something more to your liking.
    Keep in mind...this is all just my opinion from all the info you've given, and my experience being a Nissan tech for many years. If I'm wrong, well then..I apologize, and hope everything is made right for you. One major thing though that sticks in my head is the fact that you test drove (so I assume) the SUV, and didn't notice what you called a noise like "the sound of blowing over a bottle". try driving another NEW 01 QX4 on the dealers lot to see if it too has the problems you mentioned.
    Again...I do wish you luck...In the end...you're customer so...you fight for what you think you deserve.

Joe
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but you are quite wrong about the lemon law. No current state lemon law requires that a vehicle is undriveable to qualify for lemon law relief. I don't know if that's what you really think or just propaganda.

Here is a quote from my state's lemon law code that states what types of problems qualify for lemon law:

"...defect, serious safety defect, or condition that substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle to the consumer..." and that have not been repaired over a reasonable number of attempts. A vehicle also qualifies if it's been in for warranty repair for 30 calendar days within the first 2 years.

I am not being nitpicky. My vehicle has had 40 days for warranty repair. For actual defects. The roof rack problem didn't manifest itself during my test drive. It is an intermittent problem. i have extensive paperwork acknowledging that the problem is a known design flaw.

If I sold my vehicle I would take a tremendous loss- especially taking into consideration factors that have lowered the value of the truck. It's not that I am picky and just don't like it, and I can't stress that enough.

I won't post in this forum any more. just wanted to point out the situation that I am in. I have tried to present the straight facts on my website, from which you all can draw your own conclusions.

thanks

http://sleepwalk.home.mindspring.com

• Options
    If it goes to arbitration....they'll straighen you out as to what's considered a "Lemon"...the vehicle has to be "UNDRIVABLE"...but for the reasons you stated...safety etc. Taking a car back 35 times in a 6 month period because the roof-fack whistles, won't win in arbitration.

Joe
  • Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    I had my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee purchased back by Chrysler as a lemon law Vehicle 9 months ago. The state lemon law does not say anything to the effect that the car has to be undrivable or dangerous to qualify for a lemon law buy back. In most states it says that the car is considered a lemon after 3 or 4 attempts are made at fixing the same problem. The car is also considered a lemon if the car is out of service for 30 days or more for the same problem. You do not under any circumstances have to meet both of these statements only one is needed to meet the lemon law requirements in most states.

The car companies should be held accountable for their vehicles if their are problems. When we purchase a vehicle in good faith and their are repeated problems with the car why should we take the loss in selling this vehicle at substantial loss because the car company sold us a defective vehicle.

Arbitration Boards in most states are administered by the car companies unless the state requires them to be independently run. If the car company administers the Arbitration board their best interest will be with the car company and not with the consumer. Your best way of winning a lemon case is to hire a good lemon lawyer and let them do their job. Do not trust what a Arbitration board has to say regarding your situation considering that they most likely are being funded by the car company.

It is not the easiest thing in the world to get a lemon law buy back from a major car company, but thank god most states have lemon laws that provide help for people that get stuck with a defective vehicle. What a horror story it would be if we the consumer had no recourse except to sell our defective vehicles at huge losses when really the car company should be held responsible.

infiniti_lemon,
    You are correct about the lemon law requirements. Each state is different, but everything that you have said is in line with what most states require. Good luck.

George
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, the only real beef you have regarding this SUV is the weld repair that required the dash removal. Clearly the dash was not reinstalled very well, but I believe they warned you that might the case.

Again, it's hard to say from here, how bad your situation really is, but I don't believe you're doing yourself any favors. Your complaints regarding the condition of the loaner car and the foam insulation under the hood are two examples of someone who seems to have lost his perspective!

If you want support, go to a VW or Chrysler board. Those guys are happy to beat up on a Nissan product!

L8 Apex, yes this isn't a Maxima discussion, but it is entertaining.
  • Options
    I wonder what causes my jolting forward when I shift from Reverse to Drive (more details in post 990). It feels like I have been rear-ended, but my hitting the gas pedal hard and the car being cold might have something to do with it. Any opinion? Thanks ... Norbert