Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I suspect you may be proven right - that the new Maxima will only be marginally quicker than the current one. Although, given the additional 1/2 litre displacement, I would have hoped for better. Certainly the claimed horsepower increase for the model year 2000 was a joke. Whatever gain Nissan got from "tweaking" essentially the same 3.0 litre engine in my 1995 Maxima must be powering something other than the front wheels!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a Maxima to perform like a BMW. I just find that the "mines bigger than yours" horsepower bandwagon that many manufacturers have jumped on to be producing a lot of unsubstantiated claims. I will continue to let my own test driving determine which are real and which are bogus.

As for gear ratios having an "especially" significant impact on acceleration, perhaps Nissan should steal BMW's specs. If they can't get it right with a 6-speed (another recent bandwagon), just how many gears do they need? 7? 8?
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the 32HP gain on the 2000/2001 max over the previous gen max due to the "ingenious" new muffler openning a valve when the car reaches a certain speed limit? (maybe it wasn't speed limit, but it was some sort of variable, maybe RPM?) I also remember that someone had a 2000 maxima, changed his exhaust system to some performance system and his HP was rated around the same number as the 95-99 maxima's. because of this, and since '00 maxima's are heavier in overall weight, i would assume that "off the line" speed is slower than the 95-99 maximas until it reaches a certain speed limit or RPM. Am i wrong? please advise.

-Kyle (2000 Max GLE - need to repaint the rear bumper cover due to idiotic NYC drivers)
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Have driven a car with a 6 speed? The 2001 5 speed on the Max is nice but an actual cruising gear with other gears designed to keep the engine in the sweet spot is really needed. Ideally, a 6 speed will have you loafing along at about 2200-2400 rpms at low highway speeds 65 or so. Personally, I always long for a 6 speed when I'm cruising on the freeway at 80 or so and the engine is screaming over in the mid-3s.
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Just saw the news articles this week, about Maxima production shifting from Japan to the USA. The article at auto.com stated this would occur during the '02 model year, so maybe this is why Maxima production is going to be cut to around 60,000 units?
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I currently drive a 2000 Max and will most likely buy a 2002 Altima for my wife. I posted a few message's on the Camry boards and really got some folks goat.

After driving the 2002 Camry I cant see spending the money Toyota is asking. Nissan will offer me a better value on the Altima. I am taking a lot of heat for saying that more HP is a good thing if balanced with fuel economy and other things when considering a car.

My 2k Max has been maintence free so far (46,000) and Toyota owners feel Nissan's are second rate when it comes to quality. I like the new Camry for what it is, but please for 29K Camry (XLE) I can score big time on any trim level Maxima. God forbid I even bring up Maxima over there, they would chew me out for sure.

If you get a chance to drive the new Camry, please tell me if 29k is a good value for an XLE Camry.
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Well, I believe that the '00/'01 Maximas gained the horsepower from the previous generation by means of better intake, smoother cylinder heads, and exhaust system. I think that the '00/'01 Maximas did not have a dramatic increase in performance because of its heavier weight and maybe the engine increasing in PEAK power, but not necessarily an increase throughout the power band. I believe this is very important as well because a faster 0-60 time requires stronger launch and then higher peak power.

As for the '02 Camry, I don't think its as ridiculously priced as some may think. If you max out on options for the '01 Camry XLE V6, you'll find an MSRP of about $28K -- pretty much the same as a loaded '01 Maxima GLE. So if the new Camry XLE w/o the nav system is about $29K, it only makes sense with more equipment and a better design. Of course I don't think that excuses Toyota from putting in one of the worst looking dashboard I have ever seen! It looks like something out of a 1980 Oldsmobile and Toyota rendered it when a bit of smoother edge and a modern stereo system. I believe that for the money, the Altima is a much better choice (at least on paper) and the new Maxima and Acura TL are much more reasonable choices than the new Camry.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ...but it's what you get for the price. Yes, a Maxima GLE loaded and Camry XLEV6 loaded are comparable, but with the Maxima you now get 2 memory driver's seat, steering wheel radio controls, and heated steering wheel, where are these features available for the Camry XLE? Oh, but if you get the Camry, you get a nice little rear sunshade. Toyota is very wrong in this aspect(IMO) The new Camry actually cost less than the current one, but you get less features in some cases. The XLE I4 has hubcabs, now that is a shame, I thought Honda was wrong for still putting them on the Accord LX models, but Toyota is even wrose, this is the top of the line model. Also, keep in mind that you get 63 more horsepower with the 2002 Maxima compared to the 2002 Camry XLEV-6.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Invoice prices are up for the '02 Max at www.kbb.com.
  • Options
    chris4o1chris4o1 Member Posts: 9
    ok i gotta decide on gettin a new 2k1 max or a 2k1 accord, i think the accord is a better value at a $25k mrsp for the EX V6, but there are so many accords out there! I'll probably get a SE auto w\ the C&C package, which is moer costly than a top of the line accord!i dont know wut to buy!!help me out here and wut do you guys think is a good deal on a sterling mist 2k1 se C&C?(no leather,bose,mediteranian..etc)the dealer lists an invoice of 24,666 and mrsp of 26994..i dont know about you guys but 24,666 is horrible to me maybe 23k area is good? wut do you think?
  • Options
    well I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I do believe the Accord to be a better value than the Maxima because it offers more equipment for less money. But then again, with the Max, you get more power, 17in wheels, and better handling. I have, however, seen much better prices than what you have there for the SE -- I saw an ad for a GLE Meridian and moonroof for 24888, which makes it about $2K more than an Accord EX. It's really your call -- if you want more features, get the Accord, if you could go without leather, side airbag, moonroof, and others, go with the Max.
  • Options
    mannie31mannie31 Member Posts: 11
    I would try to wait 4 a 2002 max
  • Options
    92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I agree with U. A Camry XLE (source: www.camryman.org) with equip package #8 (leather, power seats, sunroof) compares favorably to a similarly optioned GLE...approx $27,725 vs $27,998 (GLE).

The altima, I believe, won't come close to the GLE in price even when loaded up. So I think that a comparably equiped altima will undercut the Camry by a grand or two as well. The only thing the Camry has to its advantage is an optional nav system which I don't think that altima will offer.

I think toyota is banking on the loyal customers who will always buy the same car every 5 years.
  • Options
    dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 10 month old loaded 01 Auto. SE and I want to trade it in...why??? Yesterday I drove the new 02 Auto SE and it is a rocket, a big difference in performance!!!
    WOW, I need one. I also saw the new 02 Altima SE but I couldn't drive it yet, it was a Corporate pre-production model, but the initial reports we're good. I'll be interested to hear what all of you think of the new models. Enjoy the test drives!!!

Duke
  • Options
    mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    jimxo: If your wife is like mine she loves performance don't even consider Toyota. Camary's are really comfortable and boring to drive. At least the 2000 ones are.

Reliability. If reliability is reflected in the resale value, a 3 year old Maxima holds it's value better than a Toyota Camary, and is therefore more reliable. Check out the used car site here on Edmunds.

While not as high as Toyota they are very reliable cars in consumer reports.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Yes, my wife wants the Altima SE w/5-speed, cloth seats and a moon roof. I cant imagine this car with a MSRP above 24K with this equipment.

I already told my dealer 500.00 over invoice max, they said lets wait and see. They did the deal for me on my 2k SE (Max) when it first hit the street so I may not have to wait.

Unless there is some major flaw or uncomfortable feel about the Altima, this will be our next car.
  • Options
    a friend of mine went to the nissan dealership and got a quote of $25500 + tax for a 2k1 maxima gle with cd changer, meridian,tcs but no spoiler. i thought this was wayyyyyyy too high for this time of year, plus i bought my 2K max last yr this time for the same price but with the spoiler. how much is everyone paying for a GLE around this time? i thought it might be a better idea to wait for the new altima or when the 02 max comes out in a month.
  • Options
    That looks like sticker price to me. If you include mud guards and floor mats along with the options you quoted, then the car stickers at $25,513. I think your friend is getting a great deal on a 2001. He may want to wait because he'll probably be able to get a loaded altima with a V6 for around the same price (if not cheaper).
  • Options
    rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
    Here are some quotes from a review in our local paper.

The Maxima is known as a smooth, quiet running performer that features solid construction, superior handling and exceptional acceleration.

Maxima's regardless of year are one of the more anonymous sedans on the market today. Unless you're a certified car nut you'll barely notice it in traffic or on the highway.

Out of warranty engine, driveline and suspension parts are on the expensive side. They are popular as used cars, which means you won't find too many bartains.

The Maxima is a driver's car that also masquerades as a near luxary cruiser.

If you're looking for a quick, competent automobile that's eager to spring to life when called upon you've come to the right place. If this car doesn't put a smile on you face as you drive down the road, nothing will.
  • Options
    25,513 isn't the sticker price for a Meridian edition GLE -- MSRP is more like 27K-28K... Anyways, anything over 25K for a GLE is ridiculous right now and it should be in the mid-24K and lower if you wait until the Altima comes out.
  • Options
    ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    A 2001 GLE with Meridian, 6-disc CD changer, and traction control would sticker for around $28.3k, and invoice around $25.4k.
  • Options
    pateros67pateros67 Member Posts: 19
    I think I've seen on this board that the 2003 Max is going to have a body change. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I'm wondering if the body change will bring an increase in weight which will offset this year's increase in HP. I'm torn between trading now for a 2002 or waiting to see what the 2003 looks like and trading then.
  • Options
    jimmie8jimmie8 Member Posts: 31
    The 2003 Maxima appears to be getting a complete makeover. It will be bigger than the current Maxima and new Altima (to compete with cars such as the Avalon...). In addition it is rumored that this car will be rear wheel drive and may share both the engine of the new 300Z as well as the frame of the new Q45. Its also rumored there will be an AWD option available. But who really knows...

If you don't trade for a 2002 Maxima, you actually might want to trade for a 2003 Altima instead of a 2003 Maxima.
  • Options
    I meant to say invoices for $25,513.
  • Options
    I'm definately waiting for the 2003 maxima. I read one publication (I can't remember which one) that said that 2003 would be a carryover model and the 2004 would be the all-new model.

The 2004 would work better for me because I'll be just about ready for a new one then.
  • Options
    the '03 Maxima will probably be a carryover and there will be a new '04 model based on the new Altima's chassis. The current Maxima came out in '00 and the Maxima seems to be on a 4 year cycle, so expect a new '04.
  • Options
    amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone noticed that with the "revised preliminary" the 2002 Altima 5spd SE now weights more than the 2002 5spd Maxima SE?

It may be only by one pound BUT it does show that the Altima no longer has the advantage in the weights dept.

Guess this shows that the Maxima WILL DEFINITELY BE FASTER in the 0-60.

taken from nissannews.com
  • Options
    mannie31mannie31 Member Posts: 11
    you mean 6 speed maxima i also heard the 2003 is going to have a v8
  • Options
    ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    I've heard that the Maxima is still 41 lbs heavier than the Altima...Maxima should still be faster than the 6.28 seconds Motor Trend got with the Altima (if you get LSD, 6 speed)
  • Options
    JHermonJHermon Member Posts: 22
    I'm seriously considering a Maxima for my next car, but in going through my options for similar/competing cars, I can't help but wonder whether Nissan is in a bit of a spot. Consider you have the Altima SE, which loaded up is going to run about $24,000 (I'm estimating -- this is a bit off the cuff). Base Maximas will be in the same range, or slightly more, but will have less content than a loaded Altima. To deal with this, Nissan is reducing production of Maxima GXEs, and are moving production upscale, to loaded up SEs and GLEs.

All well and good. Except that a loaded up SE or GLE is going to sticker around $31k -- right in the territory of the Infinti I35 and the Acura TL and TLS, and prety near the neighborhood of the low level Lexus cars, the IS300 and the ES300. So, assuming you are selling to a "prestige" buyer persuaded by the marque, you're going to lose lots of sales to your sister company, as well as Acura and Lexus (not to mention low level European competition -- Volvo, Saab, and Audi all have very competitive sedans at this price point, and BMW is right in the mix, too). What is the compelling argument for the Maxima? It isn't price, and it isn't prestige or content...

What am I missing?
  • Options
    A fully outfitted Max SE will probably roll off the lot for 25-26k before taxes. Can anyone buy a Lexus or Acura for 26k with 255 HP and a 6 speed? Don't think so.

Price and performance of the Max make it the option for people who want some level of luxury, some of power but don't wanna chunk 30k on a new car. It's a true tweener car, bridging the gap between the mundane world of the Altima/Camcords and the much better 3 Series/upcoming G35.
  • Options
    JHermonJHermon Member Posts: 22
    That works on the assumption that dealers will negotiate down off of the MSRP on 2002 Maximas. I hope they do (especially if I decide I want to buy one), but I'm wondering if they will have the ability to do so given how close they will be getting to the price of the Altima. If Altimas are going near sticker (which I admit is a major assumption on my part, but probably not an unfair one give the reviews I've read of the car), will it cannibalize Maxima sales if a loaded Max is going for 25 or 26k?

The other issue is leasing -- Acura TL goes for around $370/mo in SE Michigan right now for a 42 month lease. Saab 9-5 SE is similar, as is Volvo S60 2.4T. Is Nissan going to offer the Max with similar equipment at the same price point? The 6 speed argument only goes so far -- most Max will be auto, and that's a 4 speed (unlike the Acura, the Volvo, the Lexus or (I think) the Bimmer).

Don't get me wrong, I think the Maxima is a great car -- I owned a 4th gen a few years ago. I just wonder whether its going to get caught in a crunch between the Altima below and the I35 above.
  • Options
    i doubt the altima is going to sell at msrp for more than a few months... the hypes gonna wear off and it's probably gonna sell a few hundred over invoice. and i'm sure the new max wouldnt be selling at invoice given the fact that they're trying to hit the near luxury segment... maybe a $1500 over invoice or $1500 under msrp.. this way, it sits in it's own price range without taking sales from the altima or the i35...

does the i30 sell at invoice, msrp or somewhere in between??
  • Options
    tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    I30 is selling below invoice right now.
  • Options
    Your logic is probably correct, but I think Nissan has already counted on this happening, as they have drastically reduced the amount of Maximas they think they are going to sell. Who are the people that will buy the Maxima? Probably current Maxima owners. Even though the new Altima has the same engine and better suspension, I would probably still go with the 2002 Maxima (mainly because I want a 6-speed and the Maxima DOES have several options not available on the Altima...most important to me is the VLSD and memory seats).
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I was in Kauai for a week. For such a small island, there was a large number of current generation Maximas running around. It's all the more unusual because for the most part I found that the locals drove older econo-type cars. Luxury cars are a rare sighting there. I think I saw 2 Mercedes and 1 BMW, and 1 Porsche. I figure car rental companies must be using Maximas.
  • Options
    Today i just bought a new 2001 maxima SE! Its black/black cloth. no big options, just air filter,floormats,and splash guards. sticker was 25,136 and invoice was 22999. i got a decent deal of 22,400 even. not bad??
  • Options
    peteroddopeteroddo Member Posts: 5
    canadiancl Aug 21, 2001 4:06pm

I just returned Sunday from Maui and the Big Island as well. It was uncanny how many new Maximas were on the road. I rented thru Hertz which did not offer a Maxima, so I was trying to figure out which rental company it could be.
    I really don't have the answer to your question. Just thought I would confrim this strange phenomina.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Hawaiians must have a special attraction to Maximas. I forgot to add that North of Princeville I actually saw a house with 2 current generation Maximas in the driveway. Quite of few of the Maximas were SE models too, so that rules out the possibility that their popularity is all due to rental companies offerings. Any Hawaiian members who could shed some light on this?

BTW, if anyone is using Maximas for rental, I suspect it would be Budget.
  • Options
    albatros43albatros43 Member Posts: 36
    I also just purchased a new Maxima SE automatic with basic features - air filter, floor mats, and splash guards. Sticker was also $25,136 and I paid $22,500 chris4o1. I think this is a pretty good price from everything I see on edmunds and carsdirect. The main factor in getting the Max was the 3.9%/60 months financing. I had been trying to wait on the new Altima or maybe even the new Max, but figure either of those won't be discounted much early on and special financing won't be available either. I figure the 2K1 Max should be the same as the 2K2 except for more horsepower and a few frills. The car looks almost identical in every other respect. chris4o1, I think we both got decent deals and we should just go out and enjoy them. I'm just waiting to get to about 1000 miles or so before I really see how fast this thing will go. Enjoy.....
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the 2K1 max is pre-wired for a cd changer in the trunk? I was considering getting the 6 disc changer accessory offered by Nissan, but I know is is over $300. I would rather purchase an after-market 10 or 12 disc changer as they are roughly the same price. I just purchased the vehicle and haven't had a chance to check for wiring in the trunk. Thanks...
  • Options
    ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    We were in Oahu last year in Honolulu, Subaru Foresters were all over the place. The taxis were all Cadillacs and Lincolns...even some limo taxis that were the same price as the Taurus ones!
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    If you check some tire stores and wheel shops you will learn that the painted dots on wheels are there for a purpose. Wheels and tires are never true-round and have to be mounted "indexed" to each other. matching the "dots" to offset the thicker sides, to prevent vibration, when they are balanced.

Taking them off will make mounting and balancing difficult when you buy new tires.

This reminds me of a friend who bought a new car and didn't like the little, black things attached to the A-pillars near the windows. She took them off. They were guides put on to force the windows inward as they run up so they would press against the weather stripping, preventing leaks. They may not look right, but they are there for a reason.

fowler3
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    did you go through a dealer or online? I would LOVE a black on black maxima SE 2001.
  • Options
    My new Max is Sterling Mist with a darker gray interior. I went to a dealer. I wasn't looking for black, as my former car was that color. I didn't even look to see if they had a black/black on the lot. Sorry I couldn't help. Maybe chris4o1 will respond as he is the one with black/black.
  • Options
    Has anyone installed one of these in their Maximas? I have heard that these really work and increase horsepower by allowing greater airflow. Is all this just hype? If so, is it worth the $50 I plopped down last night online to get one?
  • Options
    Avis rents maximas gxe's in Seattle Seatac..
  • Options
    i went to the dealer for my car. it happened to be the special of the week car.
  • Options
    I think $22.4 and $22.5 are good prices for the 2001 SEs...that's probably a good 3 or 4 grand cheaper than what people will be paying for the new 2002 Maximas. You'll probably pay that much for a V6 Accord, and I think you get a lot more with the Maxima.

As for the K&N Filter...its possible you will be able to feel a *Slight* difference with this new filter, but unlikely. Yeah, it might add a couple horsepower, but most people can't feel this difference. A lot of people like the K&N drop in filter because you never need to replace it...just clean it. That in itself justifies the cost.

And as for the abundance of Maximas in Hawaii...maybe its proximity to Japan has something to do with it...Hawaii is KIND OF on the way to the west coast (although not really). Just guessing here..
  • Options
    max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    I believe that enterprise rents Maxima's as well.
  • Options
    I've rented them before.