Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    Well then, you've answered your own question!

I felt the same when I was comparing the I30 and the GLE. The only thing the I30 had that the GLE didn't that I cared about was the memory driver's seat. Now the GLE even has that. I'd rather have the extra money in the bank than the "prestigious" label on the car.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    After pouring over the official Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I-35 brochures, didn't seem like there were too many differences, big or otherwise, between a fully loaded Maxima and an I-35. Price difference of about $3-4,000.

Some differences I noticed. You can get VDC only with I-35 that has Sport Package. The I-35 can also be had with a Cold Weather Pkg that includes heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. You can only get the 6-speed manual with Maxima SE; it will later be offered with LSD.
  • Options
    JHermonJHermon Member Posts: 22
    Might just be me, but I thought the leather on the I35 was softer. Obviously the analog clock and the gauges are different. You get an extra cupholder on the I35 (above the passenger side vent). Also a longer standard warranty on the Infiniti, and the available colors are different (you can actually get silver, instead of quasi-silver "sterling mist").

I suppose a lot depends on how close you can get the price, and whether the slightly better amenities on the Infiniti are worth the cost. I might pay $1,000 more for the Infiniti, but I'd have to do some heavy rationalization to do so.

The closest my dealer could come was $2,000 more than a similarly equipped Max SE (and the Infiniti had no sport package, so it was more comparable to the GLE).
  • Options
    tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Before the 2002 model, it is easier to decide between I30 and Maxima. There is couple features in I30 that are not available in Maxima. Xenon headlights, navigation system, memory seat, and the rear sunshade. And now the only difference beside the obivous longer warranty will be the rear sunshade. It is kind of hard to justify the money difference now.
  • Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    riez - The Maxima can also be had with heated seats and steering wheel.
  • Options
    cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    that older engine in his Maxima had issues with automatic transmission. My other brother had a 91 Maxima SE and he also had a transmission problem with it as well. I posted this a while back.... They don't drive like crazy as I do :) Anyway, we still have a 96 Max which is reliable so far. Although it has seen quite a few paint chips in front.... I'd say more than the 40K + miles on it...
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Guys, if you are in Michigan you should get yourself over to Toronto and save some money. I've posted a bunch of times before about buying in Canada. With the exchange rate the way it is you will probably save at least a few thousand. For example, a loaded SE (auto, sunroof, LSD, TCS, heated seats) will sell for about $22,000! I did it and I know of 60 others who've done it for Maximas and Pathfinders.

I posted some basic info way back at #29, but it's for 2001's and with the better exchange rate prices are even lower now. Just drop me a line. I have lots more info on how to do this.

-Jon
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Don't necessarily count service as a possible reason to go with Infinity rather than Nissan. Although Infinity does offer a longer warranty period, I have had exceptionally good service from my Nissan dealer in the DC area (VOB, Rockville). On the other hand, I have friends who have had unacceptable customer service with their Infinity dealers (Rosenthal & Jim Coleman). The fact that there are many more Nissan dealerships than Infinity dealerships seems to work in favor of customers (i.e. competition is good).

As interested as I am in upcoming Infinity G35, I would be concerned about getting what amounts to a "Nissan" product, but having to trade in my excellent experience with VOB for a dealership of lower customer service standards. I have often wished we could have our Isuzu Trooper serviced at VOB.

P.S. The added Infinity warranty, while it looks good on paper, is unlikely to be used. I have put 115k+ miles on a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed and have yet to have my first even minor repair that would have been covered under any warranty.

P.P.S. No, I don't work for VOB nor do I have friends or family that do. But, as a business owner myself, I set high standards and am rather outspoken when they are not met. It is only fair that I give proper credit when it is due.
  • Options
    dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Hows the audio system on the new Maxima. I've always heard great things about the Maxima's audio system. I've heard the new I35 audio system uses a dense magnet subwoofer which gives it a very rich bass sound. Question is, does the I35 and the Maxima share the same sound system.
    Whats everyones opinion on the Maxima sound system in general?
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Hmmm...I'll be going to Rosenthal on Friday. A bit of routine service and a check of the brakes, plus my side view mirrors don't work when it is cold out......I had a bit of a fight w/them to replace my TCM (since they couldn't replicate it) but the svc guy believed me, and replaced it anyway. Haven't had that come back :)

As far as the G35 and your comment "I would be concerned about getting what amounts to a "Nissan" product," I'm not sure what you mean. I guess b/c the G35 is the Nissan Skyline in Japan???? The Q45 is the Nissan Cima. I have an 00 Max SE and am looking to add the G35.
  • Options
    merlionmerlion Member Posts: 39
    Jon: Are u sure we can just get Maxima in Canada and just drive back to Michigan ? What are the procedures like ? I know it's kind of late for me since I already bought it. Still, I am curious.
  • Options
    Is 80 miles on a brand new car consider excessive ?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..I guess what I meant is that the Japanese built Maxima and current Infinity products are, at least to me, produced by the same company to the same standards of quality. But the dealerships that sell them, especially in the DC area, seem to have significantly different reputations for customer service. Too bad I won't be able to get a G35 from my aforementioned favorite Nissan dealer.

Sounds like you have had a reasonably good experience with Rosenthal??
  • Options
    No, 80 miles is maybe 4 or 5 people taking it for a test drive. Around 10 to 15 miles is about as low as you can even typically find, which would be just driving it to and from the trailer, etc.

Don't worry about it. When do you pick it up, this weekend? Or do you have it already?
  • Options
    Thanks for your quick reply. I asked the dealer over the phone for the mileage, so I don't have the car yet. I will get the car this Sat morning.

Jon posted abt getting Maxima in Canada. I wish I could do it like him but I can't ask anyone to drive me there just to get a car. Plus there is quite a bit of hassle in obtaining docs , claiming Canadian taxes, registering vehicle locally.

Guess I am a little jittery before a new car purchase. It's my first new car purchase.
  • Options
    well if you do it right that first time is always the most memorable! :)

Bring your calculator, make sure you double-check all the figures on the paperwork, mistakes have been known to happen. Don't be in a rush to drive off. I think on this site, and definitely on the motley fool site, there is a checklist of things to look at when you're picking up a new car. Take your time and make sure everything is right. If you're into this kind of thing, it can be fun to bring your camera and get your picture taken with your new car. THEN get out and enjoy the drive!
  • Options
    My partial mistake. The Maxima SE and GLE have an available option package, the Meridian Edition--which also requires sunroof, and side airbags and Bose on SE--that includes heated FRONT seats, heated outside mirrors, and heated steering wheel. The I-35's Cold Weather Package, which also requires sunroof pkg, has heated steering wheel, heated front AND REAR seats, with high/low settings, and heated outside mirrors with timer.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I don't think the basic idea is that the I35 was ever supposed to be better than the GLE strictly on the basis of superior features, although the HP is higher. The I35 features extensive soundproofing to reduce noise and vibration, and the interior materials are supposed to be generally more luxurious. Infiniti dealerships enjoy an excellent reputation for customer satisfaction, although there are stinkers among them. The nationwide reputation of Nissan dealerships isn't particularly encouraging, although there are good ones. Beyond that, I'd want to check on the differences in insurance rates between an I35 and a highly optioned Maxima.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Infiniti (no "y" in the name) is often among the tops for customer service and there's a reason for that. You get an Inifiniti, you get a great 4/60 warranty (much better than the Nissan one), loaner cars and just all around superior treatment. I too look forward to the G35 and if it produces decent power, 270hp+, I may finally get back to driving a Nissan (ahhhh, sounds nice).
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    oooookay
  • Options
    vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    Hello All. A while back I posted a question as to whether anyone with a 2001 or 2000 Maxima SE has a "thump" noise / sensation up front during maderate to hard acceleration. It feels like motor mounts. Not real "violent" really but I am wondering if this is normal - as the service manager said. Does not seem to affect anything. I've got 2K on the car and it runs great ('01). Otherwise, not a sqeak, rattle or anything unusual. The car is fast, handles great with those 17 inchers and the brakes are real good. Car had 2 miles on it when I drove it from the dealership. Thanks for any feedback.
  • Options
    peej22peej22 Member Posts: 5
    I just traded in my '99 Accord V6 for the Max '02 GLE. I really liked the Honda but I love the Maxima! The feel of the car is pure luxury.Those 255hp move the car so effortlessly,and the Bose 6cd AM/FM cassette is awesome. I had a '90 and '99 Accord and I realize that the Maxima is on the next level of performance. I could not take being at a red light and being surronded by 5 Hondas exactly like mine. I think I got a great deal on my Max GLE-Meridian Pkg, tract,side a/b,power s/f, & carp.mats for $27,900. I got 269mi on a full tank doing city driving. That is better than my '99Accord V6
  • Options
    leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    The sound system for the I30/35 and the Maximas are the same, including the Bose Nd woofer. They both sound the same to me, I can't hear a difference between the two. The bass from the woofer is incredible. You have to go listen to it.

I agree with habitat on the I35/Max issue. If nothing ever breaks, who needs the warranty? The warranty could be 2 years or 8 years, but if nothing breaks, it doesn't matter. True, Infiniti has loaners, but if you never need servicing, chances are you'll never see the dealer or need a loaner car. Also, Infiniti servicing is more expensive. Even an oil change is $40, and don't think that's the synthetic price, oh no, just plain, dino 5W-30 oil. I get sythtetic oil changes (Mobil 1) for my Max for only $27. Infiniti can keep their not-so-cheap dino oil.
  • Options
    raaizinraaizin Member Posts: 31
    I am looking to get an 02 Maxima. I am unsure about getting the Bose system. The regular radio/cd has 120 watts. Isnt that enough? , any thoughts are welcome.
  • Options
    There is paperwork to do for Customs at the border. But it's not at all difficult since the Max meets all US safety and emissions (California too). Sure there is some work to do on this, but most people are telling me they save about $4000. Look, I did it and I'm no rocket scientist. And I know of 60 others who've done it too.
    -Jon
  • Options
    tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Wow, $40 for an oil change is high. My Infiniti dealer only charges $21.
  • Options
    Infiniti has recently mailed out a short memo, dated 10/16/01, updating 2003 G35. Talks about its "255-horsepower DOHC V-6 engine" and "5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode". Thus it appears the 2003 G35 will use the same engine as the 2002 Maxima and 2002 I-35, but have a different automatic transmission. Not sure the Maxima or I-35 will get the 5-speed AT in '03 as the G35 is a RWD platform, with fully independent rear suspension, and engine & drivetrain running N-S. Memo doesn't mention anything about a G35 manual transmission.
  • Options
    sdattasdatta Member Posts: 24
    They force you to either buy a stripped down model or a fully-loaded one. You want leather seats? Well, you gotta get the Bose radio. But in order to have the Bose radio, you gotta get the power sunroof. Geez, why can't they let people choose their options like BMW does?!
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Nissan is at least better than Toyota in that regard, at least for the Canadian market. Just look at the new Camry. They bundle alot of features into packages that cost $4,000 - $5,000.
  • Options
    That's a major bummer about the G35. Guess I'll scratch that one off my list. If I'm gonna settle for a Nissan I at least want it to be blisteringly fast.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    At least this is done by the factory, when I went to look at Camrys a while back, many of the LE models had leather interior trim and aftermarket alloy wheels with spoilers, they cost almost as much as a moderately optioned Maxima SE with 255 hp, that is really sad.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I got a "stripped down" 2002 Maxima GLE...leather (which I wanted) is standard as is Bose but NO sunroof (which I didn't want after the problems with my Volvo sunroof).....
  • Options
    khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    What about warranty? Do US dealers honor the US (or Canadian, if any differences) warranty if the vehicle is purchased outside of the US? I certainly don't want to drive back to Canada to get service done.

It's probably annoying to do meter conversion too.
  • Options
    After much ado, I finally got a chance to drive a 2002 SE 6 speed tonight. I would love to say that I was swept off my feet, but I wasn't. The shifter had looooong throws, clutch engagement was grabby and engaged fully about 1 inch off the floor. Compared the Integra GS-R I used to drive it was abysmal. Even compared to my Saab 9-3 it was nothing great. I might have been suffering from heightened expectations (I've been waiting to drive the thing for 2 months now...), or maybe I'm getting old, but it looks like my Max (assuming I get one) will shift itself.

Too bad. Great idea by Nissan, marginal execution (IMHO).
  • Options
    peej22peej22 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone recommend a good additional security system to put on the max. I am aware of lo-jack and vech id.
    Thanks
  • Options
    amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    Was it THAT bad? :-)

I know that honda is GREAT with manual trans. so comparing it to a nissan car I would not be suprised that the acura would be alot better but is it so bad that you missed a gear or that it was non progressive?

Thanks.
  • Options
    raaizinraaizin Member Posts: 31
    I am looking to get an 02 Maxima. I am unsure about getting the Bose system. The regular radio/cd has 120 watts. Isnt that enough? , any thoughts are welcome.
  • Options
    In my opinion it was pretty bad. Maybe I just got one that hadn't been adjusted well at the factory, or maybe this is simply characteristic of Nissan manuals transmissions. Regardless, after driving it on surface streets for 10 minutes I was not getting any more comfortable with the clutch/shifter. Hate to admit it, but missed a gear twice near the end of the drive, when I should have been getting the hang of it (I've been driving a manual for the last 12 years -- I'm not Mario Andretti, but I don't miss gears).

I'm sure others will feel differently, but I just can't see shelling out 25-30k for a car with such deficiencies in the manual, when there is a perfectly good auto transmission available for no added cost.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade for the manual trans. You might drive it and love it -- I would certainly not discourage anyone seriously considering buying the car from taking both the manual and the automatic out for a drive. You might like the manual; just wasn't my cup of tea.

Incidentally, 6th is clearly an extra overdrive -- I was doing 75 on the freeway in 5th, and there was no need to shift it again. Not that I really wanted to...
  • Options
    Yes, the warranty is honored by the US dealers. You just call and they put your VIN into the system. I had a minor warranty item done on mine with no problems. You don't have to change the odo/speedo if you don't want. But if you do any speedometer shop can do it. Figure about $300. To save a few thousand this really isn't all that difficult.
    -Jon
  • Options
    Yes, the warranty is honored by the US dealers. You just call and they put your VIN into the system. I had a minor warranty item done on mine with no problems. You don't have to change the odo/speedo if you don't want. But if you do any speedometer shop can do it. Figure about $300. To save a few thousand this really isn't all that difficult.
    -Jon
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I've never bought from irontoad. What's an "all weather" floormat - rubber? Last year my wife bought some cheapo mats for her Alero that nicely absorbed all the salt and grime.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing how your stock tires handle the upcoming MI winter.
  • Options
    any ideas to prepare for winter ? especially for a new Maxima :) Anyone bought anything from www.irontoad.com (nissan accessories) ? I wanted to buy all weather floor mats from them. They cost like 52 bucks including shipping.
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    I have GLE models, but from other posts on this forum, your price
    quote seems reasonable. Gray Lustre looks great !
  • Options
    Yup. It's just rubber floor mats with Maxima logo on it. But it will fit nicely on the maxima.

I will find out soon enough. I hope the tires will grip well on the icy roads. Otherwise I am in trouble. (plus it's an automatic)
  • Options
    leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    I have the 120W stereo now and it's been great. The Bose would be worth it if you're a true audiophile. It sound's awesome, but to me it wasn't worth the money before. The new system with the 6cd changer helps to justify the higher price a little more, but I don't mind swapping CD's =). I wouldn't consider the Bose system a necessity when purchasing the Max.

tgif888, $40 is high for an oil change (also included a "courtesy" car wash, whatever), which is one of the reasons I now drive a bigger, faster, more reliable car..............a Maxima =)
  • Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    The tires that come on the SE (Bridgestone Potenza RE92) are not all that good in snow and ice. They actually aren't really all that good in rain either. You would be much better off getting a good set of winter tires for your SE. The cheapest route would probably be to buy some cheap steel wheels with the winter tires. That way you could go down to 15" or 16" wheels where the winter tires are much cheaper.
  • Options
    sdattasdatta Member Posts: 24
    a Wake forest fan, eh? I'm a diehard Seminole, went to UNC-CH for grad school, and now work at Duke. GO ACC!

Okay back to talkin' cars. I was looking at the SE not the GLE. I guess the GLE is packaged differently. I want the SE for the sport suspension.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Next generation Accord will have a 240HP V6 with a 6-speed manual and the 4 cylinder will pump out 180HP V-tec. Should be a nice car and will give Altima something to chew on.
  • Options
    I learned to drive stick on a Nissan 17 years ago when I was 10. I've owned and still own nissan manuals. They generally feel different from Honda. Honda has a super light, very small clutch pedal travel, smooth shifting feel that I actually don't enjoy. I like the the longer pedal travel and harder shifter on my Nissans. Go figure. Get used to something...

As for the 2003 Accord, I'd like to see an official annoucement from Honda that they're gonna have its power match the TL Type-S and offer a 6 speed. Personally, I don't buy it. In fact, I'd be willing to stake a lot on honda not offered a manual in their V6 Accord. They haven't for 6 years, so why suddenly shift back when sales are so strong for their mundane cars?