Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    Here's a pic of both badging modifications I've made. I was able to get the Alero rear badge for only $5.31. Nice addition I think. I tried it where it is, above on the lid so it pointed downward and over above the Oldsmobile font. I like it best where it is or slightly above. The line above INTRIGUE sort of interferes with the fluidity. Anyhow, I like it.

Here's another one of the front modification just for those who didn't see it before

• Options
    yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 22
    98 GL, 32K miles; I bought it 3.5 years ago. The rearview mirror finally fell off. As the 'Trig was no longer in warranty, I bought a self-repair kit at Target--fixed it w/o any problems. Hopefully it'll stay up. Question: Is it easy to replace the standard mirror that has the built-in lamps with one that has the built-in digital compass? Is it just a matter of buying one and plugging it in?

As for the tire issue, I've used the Dunlop D60A2 in my previous autos--great tires and cheap too! I live in FL and the Dunlops will be at the top of my list when my original tires are worn.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    jg28 : I think the rear badge looks good! Did you order that from your GM dealer?

perna : I have to disagree, I like the Goodyears. While I have nothing to compare with (as I'm still running OEMs), the tires have been flawless from day one through snow and ice and heavy rain. After some bad experiences with Firestones on past cars, I am more than satisfied with what I have. Glad you are enjoying your Intrigue as much as I do. BTW.. the new Aleros have bigger tanks. Our Ecotec powered 02 will go at least 600 highway kms on one tank, just as far as the Intrigue.
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Glad to hear they fixed that glaring fault with the Alero (mine was '00, built 10/99). I was kind of bummed that the dealer I bought my Intrigue at didn't have any Alero 5-speeds to try out, I've been dying to give one a spin. When I bought my Alero, the 5 spd wasn't an available option at the time. I was seriously debating going with another Alero due to heavy discounting, etc., but since the temptation of the 5-spd wasn't there, I passed. I did try out a Bravada (let's face it, the ability to purchase a new luxury SUV for $25-27k OTD is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity), but I was disappointed with the amount of guts it had, and it handled like a boat. I enjoy driving too much.

I don't doubt the Goodyear LS tires are decent all-weather tires, but I wasn't impressed with the noise they make. Simple maneuvers cause them to squeal as if I was smoking them from a dead stop or something. They'd work well on something like a Buick, whose drivers don't generally participate in the kind of spirited driving the Intrigue encourages.

I was reading back through previous posts, and was intrigued (cough) by the short thread regarding what we'd like to buy once our cars give up the ghost. Since I've only had my car for 3 weeks, it's a little premature, but this is what I want:

300hp AWD Cadillac CTS. Black. :-)
  • Options
    5-speed Aleros were available when we bought, but given the traffic in the Toronto area, we decided to stick with an auto.

I don't find the Goodyear's noisy, but I have 45K on mine so maybe they are worn down a bit. I also think the handling with them is just fine and I don't hear any squeals. Maybe they changed them between 00 and 02?

We have similar tastes in cars because a CTS may be the next sedan in a few years (assuming the career goes well). I love that car and can see why it is selling so well.
  • Options
    thughthugh Member Posts: 9
    Just got back the 2001 GLS from the dealer after a 2-day stay. I had previously (Feb - March)taken the car in for a hard shifting (occasionally) and a rattling(?) sound coming from the transmission. At that time they reprogrammed it and the transmission seemed better but not like new (approx. 16,000 mi). I received a call from the customer service rep asking if I was satisfied with the work performed. I indicated that the problem was still there to a lesser degree (I have to admit the sound was very subtle). She offered me a loaner and have them look at it again. I said I didn't have the time and would have to schedule later. Approximately 1-month ago I got stuck in traffic for about an hour. The transmission started shifting extremely hard (like a competition level shift kit) and three weeks later I was attempting to leave a red light when the engine revved and then the transmission banged and the car took off as normal. Arranged an appointment the next day to have it looked at. The end result was a bearing had let loose taking out several other components. Bottom line, approx. $1,900 job (under warrenty). Great dealer (Barlow Chev/Olds, Delran NJ). Two days in the shop and appears to have eliminated the problem. Hopefully it is not a weak link in the transmission.
  • Options
    Dindak, they actually had one in stock, so I didn't even have to have them order it.
  • Options
    pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for the update: I've got trans problems too; does any of this sound familiar? I've been getting a slip/shudder in all gears and throttle positions when the transmission up-shifts. It is particularly noticeable when up-shifting between 3000 and 4000 RPM, but it can be felt anywhere above 2500 RPM. I took the car into the Pinebelt dealership in Lakewood, NJ, but they found no diagnostic trouble code and told me they could not duplicate the problem during a test drive. So, I scheduled a test drive with me in the car.
    When I went for a drive with the service manager, the car shuddered every time when up-shifting between 3000 & 4000, so he said he would put the pressure gauge in the trans. Later that day, the service rep told me that they "thought" that the slipping/shuddering was caused by a sticking valve in the valve body and that the whole valve body would have to be replaced at a cost of several hundred dollars. I felt that they were trying to stick me for the biggest possible charge, so I took the car to a local mechanic who put in a Lucas additive which only cleared things up for about a week. This is really getting old.
  • Options
    thughthugh Member Posts: 9
    It does not sound the same. In general it shifted OK. I did notice that when accelerating a little harder, the shifts did not feel consistent. That is, sometimes quick but not harsh and sometimes long and a bit mushy. My problem dropped a code and the pan had metal shavings. My concern was that the problem with the transmission would lead to trans problems at 60,0000+ mi. and not be covered. Hopefully no long term damage was done with all of the "stuff" that was in the pan.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    It's been hot and humid for a couple weeks now so I've been running the A/C a lot. I've noticed a shudder when the A/C in on when doing a low speed turn (like backing out of the driveway or a parking space.) It seems like a magnified version of the intermediate shaft shudder I still feel occasionally (even though it was replaced under warranty about 8K miles ago.) Anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Does anyone here know how to post pictures or is able to post them for me? I have a picture of my 1999 Intrigue that I want you all to see, can anyone here help?
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Low profile anyone?

• Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Thanks for posting my picture of my former 1999 Intrigue, I got's to admit, it looks dope sitting on chrome. Nicely done vcjumper.
  • Options
    richs07richs07 Member Posts: 4
    Dealer re-built the front struts....but squeaking is still there and also in rear wheel wells. Kind of sounds like the springs on an old bed and makes the noise when braking, accelerating, going slow over bumps, etc. Does anyone else have this problem?

Another topic....anyone put 17" wheels on their intrigue? how does it handle? what size and type tires with the 17" wheels?
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    One solution would be to follow the Collector's Edition route with Aurora 17" wheels. That might give a nice factory look to the car while still providing larger rolling stock. Plus, they probably have the same dimensions as the Intrigue wheels so you won't change the track or scrub-angle or anything. It shouldn't compromise or change the way the suspension works. The only difference would be the lower-profile wider rubber (235/55-17).

You can see the Collectors Edition here if you are interested. Also, here is a 1998 Aurora with the newer 17" Aurora wheels. It might give you some idea of how they look on cars they weren't made for. I think it lends a nice look to both cars while still working with the styling of them. Most aftermarket wheels have their own styling and don't really compliment the styling of the car. I think these wheels compliment the styling of the Intrigue and Aurora for a nice custom yet factory look. It's one option, and just my opinion, though.
  • Options
    jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    I have to say, I don't quite get the Goodyear bashing that I see on this board. I had the LS's on my Intrigue for about 45K (although two were replaced early due to nail puncture's in the sidewall). All in all, a decent tire. I thought the wet traction could be better, but did not experience much squeal on turns. Living on Long Island, with some of the tighest entrance and exit ramps you'll ever see, the LS's were just fine. I usually take a ramp at 150% of the speed posted and didn't experience any problems. I replaced them with Eagle HP's (H Rated - although I still have the speed limiter in tact) and I like these better. Very tight grip on the road. No extra noise, and again the wet traction isn't great, but that's not the time to be driving agressively anyway. Also had two sets of eagle GA's on my 95 Grans Am, and they were serviceable too.
  • Options
    My goodyears lasted less than 27K. They were down to the wearmarks before that. They were pretty good in snow until they got worn down and then they were horrible. My new tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE950s) are quieter, better in snow & rain and handle better. Plus, they have a 50K warranty. I don't plan on buying Goodyear ever again.
  • Options
    I have always had excellent luck with Goodyear tires and they are generally very well rated. 3 of our last 5 cars have had Goodyear tires. I'm not sure why some people are having problems and while I'm no tire expert, I think all this Goodyear bashing is a little over done.

As for Bridgestones, they are made by Firestone and I will never touch anything that company makes again.
  • Options
    Seems ok but from my experience if you get a comparably priced tire from Michelin, Dunlop (which may not be good much longer, since Goodyear bought them), Bridgestone, Yokohama, or Pirelli, you have better odds of getting an above average tire. I have had GA's on a previous car. I would call GA's and LS's average at best, they are definitely the weakest point in the Intrigue's suspension handling wise.

I was so happy to get rid of my LS's. No longer am I embarassed because my tires are screeching like crazy just from a little fun on ramps (I don't recall the last time anyone has passed me on one) or doing a u-turn. Lane changes and cruising at 90mph the car is less mushy too.
  • Options
    Tried to get one to give it gas today after lining up at the lights against it. Left some rubber behind but he didn't chase. Oh well.

At the next light saw it was a dealer car with a GM guy driving it. The guy was smoking a cigarette. Where do they find these turkeys!
  • Options
    How are you getting this "screeching"? I can not ever remember hearing my tires do this? You guys must really be taking corners fast.

Hopefully I will hear lots of screeching tomorrow as I am off to the Molson Indy for the weekend. Woohoo!!
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I don't hear any screeching/squealing from my LSes either. They've got 34K miles on them and will probably make it thru one more winter. Don't seem too noisy on the highway either unless the surface if rough. However, they do seem way overpriced (<$100 at Discount Tire) so I will go with something else when they need replacing.
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Those Collectors edition wheels look like the new Aurora 17's with a different center cap. I'll bet that's what they are. They look good on that Intrigue.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    You guys must drive slow. On off ramps my inside front tire would squeal. Big time.
    On my impala its the outside tires that scream.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    my 2001 gl now has 15,000 km, so far so good. Have done 2 oil changes and the isb transmission lube. Since the new intrigue doesn't have the same low end torque as previous/other car, i somtimes start it off in 3rd gear and it sure makes a difference. Does anyone else do this regularly (downshift manually to 3rd or 2nd)?
  • Options
    Actually I usually rip on to the highway on a sharp on-ramp to the QEW highway. Never heard a squeal once out of my Goody's. Out old Cavalier used to squeal all the time, but that had more to do with the car's suspension than the tires.
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Since my Alero was a lease, I never had the wherewithal to swap out the head unit or throw in a CD changer. Now, I do like the new '02 Delco head unit - what a change from even 2 years ago! The sound quality is sufficient for my needs, but I do need a changer. Anyone know if the new decks can directly control a CD changer, or am I stuck going RF? The thing that annoys me about the RF route isn't so much the sound quality, but that there really is no decent area to put the controller for it!

As an aside, I stopped by Best Buy today and they had an XM demo set up that I can play with. I tell you, for someone who travels by car frequently or lived out in the middle of nowhere, this thing would be a godsend. Anyone who is a chronic flipper of radio stations would love it.
  • Options
    Are you going to the CART race?
    let us know how it was.
  • Options
    I put in an aftermarket head unit, and my 10 disc changer is on order, it plays MP3 filled CD's so I'm going to have room for lots of music! It is a Sony and there is an RF model available.

How about the little cubbyhole to the left of the steering wheel below the trunkrelease/etc for the changer controls?
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    When taking turns too fast with the Eagle LS's I would get some squealing. Since I put the Dunlop SP A2's on I don't get the squealing anymore. It's a symmetrical tire that you have to mount with one side facing out. I believe the outside of the tire is a harder compound that doesn't flex as much as the inside of the tire. The Dunlops are also quieter and they stick better in the wet. I have yet to spin them on a slick road, when my Eagles would spin on occasion even when new.
  • Options
    Any GL or GLS owners have problems with their external temperature display being off +- 20 degrees? I removed the sensor mounted in front of the radiator and cleaned it off really good, but it is still displaying the wrong temperature. Wondering if anyone has purchased one of these sensors and how much it costs.
  • Options
    My bro in law's Goodyears also wore out on his Intrigue before 30K. They're not good tires.

I think you can get any tire to squeal. With the STBs and new sways, it's almost like the tires (even the new ones) couldn't keep up with the suspension.

Edmunds has the 2003 Auroras listed now. I noticed the price has come down a lot but that it doesn't have all the options that it used to on the 4.0. They all have PCS.
  • Options
    swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    Here in southern CA there are lots of wide multilane highways, and the overdrive gear works well. Everyone blantantly ignores the speed limits, and I regularly drive 80-85MPH in the far left lane. People still pass me... I don't know what it takes to get pulled over!

But I usually downshift to 3rd if I'm in heavy traffic that's going slower than 60MPH. Makes it easier to "gun it" when there's a hole to pass a few cars.

I also use 3rd on hilly, rural roads where 55-60 is a sensible speed. The Intrigue just doesn't "feel right" in overdrive unless you're going 70MPH+, and it's too easy to be tempted into excessive speeds.

I don't use 2nd much, but I have used it in heavy rain-- again, to stop me from driving too fast.
  • Options
    I was at qualifying today. Paul Tracy (the home town boy and real winner of the Indy 500) just missed the pole. Dang!!!!!!! Can't wait for the race tomorrow.

Tried to get a squeal out of the Goodyears today. Couldn't do it. Maybe you all had faulty ones. I don't get it.
  • Options
    Do you have the power down when cornering?
    There is one on ramp that i enter a 60 mph and never drop below 45mph.
    Power down at the apex and in the intrigue the inside front tire would squeal.
    Certain mountain roads that load the tire on a dip, then power down will cause it too.
    You have to be on the gas to do it. Speed alone is not enough.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    One of users posted explanation on one of Edmunds boards (Regal?). From GM repair manual.

If car is parked for less than 3(?) hours, computer assumes that the air temperature sensor is heated by the hot/warm engine, and does not trust the data. Computer uses (and display) instead air temperature that was before parking. Saved in memory. It switch back to the sensor data after several minutes and/or miles of driving.
  • Options
    I met Paul Tracy when he was just breaking into Indy. He was dating my grade 12 science class lab partner. She ended up being his first wife!

It looks like he has lost a lot of weight from just last year when I saw him on the tube today.

I used to work at the Exhibition grounds as a teen so I got to see a bunch of years of the racing events. My favourite parts other than seeing the cars up close were the Bud and Beemans girls :-). Then last year I met a girl who had worked as both. She thinks its funny that in my youth it would make my month just for one of those girls like her to know me on a first name basis.
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    Returned the 98 Intrigue with 28K miles and a set of $20. used skins.

GMAC was going to charge for a new set of tires for the OEM Goodyears as they were shot.

Regular rotations and inflation was maintained.

Not the first time that OEM Eagles have been dogs either.

Standard negotiating condition for me now. No Goodyears.
  • Options
    My Eagle LS's were bald at 38K miles and probably should have been replaced around 33K miles. Regular rotations and inflation here too.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Your transmission problem sounded alot like mine. It would suddenly start "slamming" into gear and would do it the entire trip. Funny thing, park the car for a hour and then drive it again and it shifted fine. There was also a loud "whine" type noise that varied with engine speed when the trans was doing this. I got a tranmission rebuild due to this, but unfortunately my dealership experience was not as good as yours. They had my car 15 days and gave me a 1995 Buick LeSabre with 95K as a loaner. Oh and the A/C didn't work very well on it either. Every time I called to inquire about my car I got the "we're waiting on parts" line. Then when I finally got the car back, there was body and paint damage. You can probably scroll back and read some of my posts starting around June 7th as that it when I got the car back. The body damage(dent) was repaired and they attempted to correct the paint spotting by buffing the car, but now I have serious swirl marks in the paint. I washed the car earlier today and after drying it off looked at it in the sun the finish on the hood now looks like that of a 5 year old car that has sat out in the weather for it's entire life. Some of the side of the car also has swirl marks that are noticeable in the bright sun, but the hood is the worst. I have not tried the clay bar or swirl mark remover as someone suggested earlier, but I am going to try that soon. If that does not improve the finish to my liking, I am afriad I am going to have to get GM involved and more than just opening a file with customer assistance. I think a zone manager needs to see this car and see how bad the finish looks. As for the dealer, they will NEVER see another penny of my business again. They sell 5 GM brands and I possibly would have been considering an Aurora, a GMC Envoy, a Chevy Trailblazer, or a Pontiac Bonneville SSEi within the next year, but I certainly won't buy it from them. I really like my Intrigue and enjoy driving it and despite my transmission problem, I think it is a well designed car. But this dealership experience has really hurt my overall ownership experience. I'm just hoping that the transmission was rebuilt properly as I really think those people there are incompetant! If anyone here is in the East TN area and is considering a Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, or GMC please let my know and I'll send you an email of a dealer to avoid.
  • Options
    jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Wow, some of you guys must be beating the h*ll out of the car to get under 35K on these tires. Granted they're not great, but I had about 45K and could have gotten another 5-10K, but went the cautious route to replace. Those who had such poor tread like, do you do lot's of stop and go driving? Hard to understand the huge differences in wear. The squeal is a whole different issue that seems to vary. As I said, I drive quite aggressively and drive some of, if not the tighest, ramps in the country and never had a squal with the LS's or the new HP's for that matter. Anyone put on the Eagle HP's? I doubt it considering they are Goodyear Eagles.
  • Options
    vcjumper : Wow, a claim to fame huh? I have met Paul Tracy a few times. I have several autographs including one from his days in a Penske Chevy I got at the GM display at the Toronto Auto Show in 1992/93. He's quiet, but a nice guy. Very fast on the track. Too bad his brakes burned out today. Lots of fun though. The "Red Hot" girls and "Hooter's" girls were an added bonus. Guess I am a CART junkie.

b4z : I zip on at full throttle and get nothing. I will try powering down as I hit the apex an see next time. I still like the Goodyears and would have no qualms about buying them again.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Well, after 24,500 miles in one year (unbelieveable!) my first problems have surfaced. The biggest one is the flickering headlights. I was following my wife last night and she thought I was flashing her. Cars on the other side of the road flashed me thinking I was fashing them. They didn't dim much... it can be described like the difference between high-beams and low-beams. But it's still a safety issue. Since the Olds dealer I used to use doesn't do warranty work (they only sell Mitsubishi now) I'm going to take it to a dealer that sells Caddie and Olds as they have experence with NorthStar-type engines.

Does the proceedure to replace the alternator require an overnight stay since the radiator needs to come off?

The second problem is related to the A/C. While it feels rather normal at sub 80 degree weather, 90+ and high humidity feels like a fan blowing humid air from an oven. After driving at highway speeds for about 15 minutes it cools the car off but that is entirely too long. The day I noticed it the AC was fine then, for no reason, it felt like the Econo button was pushed. Hasn't been the same since. That should be a quick fix. Either way, both are covered under warranty.

I guess the honeymoon is now officially over :-)

P.S. My Goodyears suck.
  • Options
    There are TSBs for both the AC and the flickering headlights.

99-01-39-004A MAY 01 A/C - Odor Emission in Hot Weather

01-06-03-001 FEB 01 Headlamps/Interior Lights - Dim Intermittently in Cold

99-01-38-005 DEC 99 HVAC Lack of Performance
    I've never been too satisfied with the performance of the AC above 90 either. Supposedly had this fixed last time at dealer and it's helped some. The temps here have been into the low 100s on occasion here so I've needed all I could get.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Both my 99 and 02 GLs exhibit the same odd behavior with the outdoor temperature display. I have seen them off by more than 30 degrees. It may stay that way for too long (20+ minutes) and then it will correct itself. It is very bothersome because many trips take less time than the system takes to correct itself. My observations do not always agree with what yurakm said about it displaying the temp before the car was turned off - the difference is far to great. Anyone know if there is a TSB on this? Do others with ACC experience this?
  • Options
    Thanks a million for the TSBs! I knew they existed but didn't know the numbers. I've found when I go in with the problem and any additional info (symptoms, TSBs, etc.) printed out I'm usually not treated like a 3 year old imagining there's a monster in my car.

Otherwise, the car is still doing great.
  • Options
    I found a site that list TSBs for 2002 Intrigues. Maybe it will help someone here: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/43/024345IR.html

Here they are for 2001 Intrigues: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/43/014345IR.html
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the car. I have the dimming, but only in very cold conditions. A/C still working extremely well even over 100F. We have about 45K kms on the car now. Have to go in to have the alternator looked at before the warranty runs out in the winter. I figure I will wait until the end and maybe they will have a better model out by then.
    ------

Interesting story. Went to lunch with a girl I used to work with. She has a 1 year old VW Beetle. I was shocked to hear all the creaks in the car and was reminded how plasticy the dash was as I had not sat in one of these since they came out. The outside may have nice assembly quality, but the interior is terrible and the durability is bad. What do people see in VW I will never understand.
  • Options
    Since I was looking and saw it, someone mentioned the water entering the interior of the car on the passenger's side. Here's the TSB for that:

00-01-38-012 DEC 00 Evaporator Case - Water Leaks to The Interior
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'm coming on one year of ownership in a couple of weeks and already have 19,000 miles on mine so I'm not too far behind you. Good thing I didn't lease as I always considered my yearly driving at about 13-15,000 miles. My honeymoon has been over as the car has had a few problems, but my dealership experience has been the absolute worst part of it. I've had it in twice and told them about the flickering headlights and the first time I got the "could not duplicate customer's concern" and I have no idea what their diagnosis was the second time as I told them about it when I had it in for the tranmission problem in May and STILL have not received any paperwork on the repair! First I was told they would mail it to me and then when I call them and ask or even when I'm physically there asking for it, I get a lame excuse as to where it is. My service advisor told me that the service manager is probably holding it until the body damage is repaired then when I get the car back after the body damage was "repaired" my original service advisor was not there and the other service advisor told me the original order had still not been closed out and that the original service advisor would have to be the one to do that.