Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    taycrontaycron Member Posts: 65
    My security "idiot" light came on while I was driving. My manual says to bring it to the dealer. It also said to check the fuses but I don't know what fuse to check (I did look). Does anyone know what fuse it is? Has anyone had this problem, and did you bring it to the dealer and what did it cost to fix? I think I'll be able to drive with it but I don't want to take any chances.. Thanks.
  • Options
    The Security light mysteriously stopped coming on... I know the light is still working because it comes on when I start the car then goes off.. weird...
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    "Lost" another lug nut cap this weekend, and I KNOW they aren't falling off. All caps being taken are on the side of the car away from the house where I can't see what's going on. There have been some new teen-agers in the area and I suspect them of swiping the caps, but what for?

Are there cheap-o auto parts store replacements rather than me going to the dealer for a set of new ones? What can I use to attach them more permanently - and allow removal with the lug wrench? I figure if I glue them on, the alarm will go off when more force is needed to get them off and I'd have a better chance of catching the little *#@%s in the act.

Deke
  • Options
    I just went out to my car and it won't start.. Nothing.. not a crank... noting.. The lights work so the battery is fine.. I wonder if the security light was trying to tell me something. I would have had it checked if the light stayed on. I figured it was just a hiccup.. crap.
  • Options
    I went out again and the car started. What the hell is going on? I hope I don't get stranded somewhere..
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    If your security light is coming on, and the car's not even trying to turn over, presuming you have PASS-Key (the little resistor in your key), your key is going bad. I know this because the same thing happened to my Aurora a month ago. If you have another set of keys, try switching to make sure it's the keys, not the ignition switch...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Options
    Thanks hammen, I don't have a spare key but it would be a good idea to get one made.
  • Options
    I was only getting 19mpg in mixed driving so I thought my car could use a tune up. I had the tune up done by a mechanic I trust. The tune up, oil change, fuel injector cleaning, etc. came to $413.00. It seemed rather high but I know this guy does it right. I filled my gas tank up and drove a lot this weekend (297 miles). My mpg in mixed driving (mostly highway) is now 27.5 mpg.. I had driven mostly highway miles before and never reached 20mpg.. I was pleasantly surprised..
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    How many miles do you have on your Intrigue???
  • Options
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    Do you have the 3.5L or 3.8L?
  • Options
    3.5L
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter aims to interview people who are dealing with vehicle recalls, especially of GM products, such as the recent problems with the back gate on the pickups. Please send your daytime contact info to farataye@yahoo.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2004. Thanks, Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    axd1axd1 Member Posts: 5
    The Service Engine Soon light is on for my
    98 Intrigue (3.8l w/ 145k). I had Autozone read the code and it is:

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

My question, is changing an O2 sensor do-it-yourself-able and does anyone have any advice on how to do it (Autozone says they can lend a special wrench)?

Also, How do I know which sensor to replace (there are two for the car)? I know one can be seen in the exhaust system underneath the car after the cat converter, but where is the other one and how do I know from the code which on needs to be changed?

thanks
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Probably not a DIY job unless you have a hoist and the special socket needed to get it out. Even with the socket, you probably can't get enough leverage just lying underneath to break it free. I know I couldn't on my Explorer. The electrical connector may also be difficult to reach.

I think the numbering sequence is bank 1 is the side of engine cylinder number one. Sensor 2 would be the 2nd sensor on that bank. Most V6 engines have one on each bank ahead of the converter and one behind the converter.
  • Options
    msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    I have changed out many an O2 sensor. If you have ramps or jackstands. They usually require a 7/8" or 22mm or so open end wrench. A socket will not work, as the wiring harness gets in the way. When you buy a new sensor, just use it to find the right sized wrench. The only tricky part is the connection to the harness. Sometimes that is harder to get to. Once you disconnect it, then you just loosen the old one and voila, its out. Then carefully install the new one and tighten. Make sure there is anti-seize compound on the threads. I think the 02 sensors come with it on the threads. Re-connect to the harness, and you're good to go. Good luck. There is really not much to it.
    Mark
  • Options
    axd1axd1 Member Posts: 5
    I decided to give replacing my o2 sensor a shot on Saturday (bank 1, sensor two is the one located after the cat converter). My 98 has 145k and I had the dealer replace the same sensor when the car had 98k miles on it (I believe the sensor before the cat convertor is still the original).

Anyway, it was pretty easy once I got it loose. I drove the car on ramps and borrowed a 7/8" sensor socket from Autozone. It was a little tricky getting a wrench to fit into the socket given that the sensor is located on top of the exhaust and resecessed under the car. Luckily I had a ratchet that can be swivelled about 45 degrees

The SES light went out two days later

thanks for the help
  • Options
    blue_2000blue_2000 Member Posts: 14
    Hello everyone, I've been reading this board for a while, and I'm finally posting.

I have a 2000 GL, Midnight blue w/ gray leather interior, with ~60,000. I have the power sunroof, and the headliner is falling down right behind the sunroof. The velcro is still stuck together, but the loop side won't stick to the back side of the liner. I put new velcro on, and it won't stick to the liner either.

Any suggestions?

FYI - I've replaced 1 alternator for light flicker, Ignition switch after a no-start, 2 rear speakers, and lubed the ISS myself. I also have Goodyear Regatta 2 tires, much better than Eagle LS.
  • Options
    hjahja Member Posts: 8
    98 Intrigue - Cracked windshield - Has anyone had to replace? What kind of cost am I looking at? Any advice?
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Call around... I found an amazing range of prices. Best I found was, I believe, $210. Highest was $450!
  • Options
    donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    I noticed in your post that you lubed the ISS yourself. How is it done and what type of lubricant did you use? My dealer did mine under warranty at about 40,000 km but now reaching the 98,000 km mark and I am hearing the noise again. The only major thing I have had to replace was the automatic temp control unit which thankfully was under warranty. Lately the turn signals will work intermittently but if I activate the 4 way flashers for a couple of seconds the signals will work again. Go figure.
  • Options
    blue_2000blue_2000 Member Posts: 14
    Someone on the board posted that they used AMSoil spray grease to lube the ISS. I think I have a spray can of white grease that I have used twice now, and I will need to do it again soon, with about 60,000 miles.

There is a rubber sleeve around where the steering shaft meets the floor. If you slide the sleeve down, you can see where the ISS slides together. Stick the tube from the spray can into the shaft and fill it up with grease. That's all I did and it seems to work pretty well.
  • Options
    cheezwizardcheezwizard Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,
    This is my first post here, hope I'm posting in the proper place.

I'm looking to get a used sedan for around $6-7k. A local dealer has a '99 Intrigue GX w/86k miles, asking $5950US. I really like the Intrigues, but not being very mechanically inclined, I'm not sure it'd be the right car to go with in my price range.

Other cars I'm considering are the Dodge Stratus/Cirrus or Intrepid.

Do you think the Intrigue would be on par with those so far as reliability, or would I likely be in for more of a ha$$le over the next 3-4 years?

Thanks for your time!
    CW
  • Options
    Go to Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds and verify that price. Might be high as is that mileage for a 1999. Having said that, it's probably had all the nagging Intrigue problems addressed during its first 86,000 miles. I certainly wouldn't it to be any worse reliability-wise than a Chrysler product.
  • Options
    Thanks lmacmil,

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping about the 'gremlins' being worked out by 86k.

With the options on this car (premium sound/CD, spoiler, p/seats etc.) the KBB values it at $7935. So hopefully I can get down there before someone else nabs it. THis particular dealer seems to have very good prices. The car's record is clean too.

Does anyone think that the number of service bulletins a make/model has would be any indication of how problematic the car might be overall? At the site below, the 3.5L '99 Intrigue has 180 service bulletins, compared to the '99 Stratus/Cirrus's around 40.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/43/994345IR.html

Thanks again,
    CW
  • Options
    FWIW, Consumer Reports lists the 1999 Intrigue as having average reliability. I personally wouldn't worry about the number of service bulletins. My 2000 has only had three problems at 50K miles, all of which had TSBs. That does sound like a good price.
  • Options
    Hey hey, Stopped by the dealer today and everything was in good order so I left a deposit on it. Sure will be nice to have the new wheels, esp. considering I've been driving a '90 Dodge Shadow with defective paint for 9 years! Turns out the KBB value is $7735, thought it had leather, but nay. So it's about 1800 below KBB.

With 86k miles I'm thinking it might be best to use synthetic oil, would that be wise? Hope to keep it for as long as possible.

Thanks again for the help! I'll be sure to stop in if anything goes screwy after the gaurantee period.

I like this car lots better than the Chryslers btw, sure looks dapper with the spoiler -

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=159073251&dealer- _id=1365115&car_year=1999&make=OLDS&distance=25&m- ax_price=6666&model=&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min- _price=&address=06070&search_type=used&advanced=n&amp- ;start_year=1999&color=&cardist=11
  • Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    Looks good. Congrats on the new car.
  • Options
    Well I had to take my car in for the first time today. The check engine light came on yesterday.
    But when I brought it down there and he plugged it into the computer there were no codes to be found and the light went off. He did say he thought the gas cap was kinda lose when he checked it so that could have caused it but there should have been a code in there.
    He also noticed that one tire had a lot more tread then the other 3 to the point where he thought I had replaced that one. Maybe they replaced it before I bought it. The car seems to drive in a straight line so I'm not to worried about it.
    So for the first year my car has been pretty good to me other than the above and the stupid headlight thing.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Ozznet, i wonder if you are the only other Canadain left here....
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Nope, I'm still here with my 2002. Flawless so far. Without certain folks the place seems kinda empty, though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    rocketman71rocketman71 Member Posts: 15
    I still check in. I just got my 2002 GLS out from winter storage - great to be driving it again. I notice now the RDS radio has started showing info for two local stations - kind of a novelty. The only problem with storing it for the winter you can't try traction control (although I did try it in the driveway once) or test out the PCS system - oh well. I continue to enjoy the topics on this board and the Aurora board.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but ever since the weather warmed up here - over 35 for the highs - I notice when I'm driving on the highway, the temp guage needle stays steady at the halfway point between 1/4 and 1/2 (so I guess it's 1/3). If I sit in traffic for more than five minutes, the needle starts creeping up to the halfway mark, and maybe just a touch past half.

Every two weeks I check the coolant overflow and maybe add a couple of ounces. I don't see any vapor out the tailpipe (except when it's really cold, which is normal), so I'm not burning any. There's no evidence of a leak...

I'm wondering if there's two cooling fans and maybe one isn't working. Just turned 37000 miles tonight on the way home - picked up the car on 1/5/99 with 32 miles on it. Do I have the lowest mileage 'Trig here?

Deke
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    My 01 Intrigue had two cooling fans, I'm not sure if the 98s had a different set-up or not. On mine, whenever the fans were needed(warm temps or A/C on) they both ran. If I recall correctly, the fans normally ran at a lower speed and would go into "high" when the needed. I could always tell when they were in high as they get much louder. The temp gauge on my Intrigue very seldomly got above the 1/2 mark. Typically, it hovered just below that point. Ironically, the temp gauge on my LS does the same thing.
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    You probably have the lowest mileage 1998. My 2002 has 33k. Regarding the temp gauge creep, it's normal for the temp to creep up while idling for an extended period. When the coolant gets warm enough the fans will kick on and cool it down. To be sure the fans are working, wait for a warm day and just turn on the a/c at home and pop the hood, just be carefull cause they could take your fingers off. Depending on outdoor temp, the fans may not immediately come on. It might take a few minutes. Have you ever had the coolant flushed? If not, it's over due. Also, if the thermostat has never been changed, you might consider doing it.

Ron
  • Options
    My temp always stays in between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. It creeps up a bit when at a stand still but never over half. My Grand Am use to do that and it would drive me nuts and I got really paranoid. I think the problem was I was leaking anti freeze and had to fix a 5 dollar hose.
  • Options
    a4naxenta4naxent Member Posts: 9
    I still have my 98 with the 3.8. It has two cooling fans. Only time I hear them is when the AC is on. Temp gauge readings are a little below the halfway mark during normal summer driving and this goes up to midway between half and three quarter marks during extended idling if AC is not turned on. Never have had any coolant loss or overheating. Been like this since new. Car has been problem free since warranty expired.
  • Options
    I was just being paranoid, I guess. Had the coolant flushed in January - no leaks, no "fog" out the pipe.

Since it's 80+ here today, guess it's time to get the A/C system checked and charged...

If I didn;t have a 25 mile daly commute, I'd probably have under 30K miles! January, 2003 inspection showed 24K miles.

Gas has just hit $1.99.9 a gallon on Staten Island - may be time to think about taking the bus to work rather than driving partway and taking the light rail the rest of the way. Still have to drive to the bus, but less miles on the 'Trig!

Deke
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Thanks for all you folks who responded :)
    i know you are out there somewhere.
    i haven't seen so many Canadian Flags here for so long, i thought i am watching Hockey Night in Canada :)
  • Options
    donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    The temp gauge on my 2000 GL usually stays just below the half way mark winter or summer. It will creep up just past the half on a hot day then the fans cut in and bring it back down. Taking it in next week for a complete checkover as it is approaching the 100,000 kilo mark and my warranty runs out. All in all it has been a good vehicle. Last road trip the mileage averaged 35 miles per gallon at avg speed of 65 mph so can't complain.
  • Options
    fgriff1fgriff1 Member Posts: 18
    Hello everyone,
     Well I decided to rotate the tires on the 00 Intrigue (first time I have on this car). I used a floor Jack that I have used dozens of times. I position the FJ just to the back of the frt wheel. Well the metal bent as the jack pushed the car up (at all four locations)! Its the metal piece that the truck jack uses. This never happened on my other car (98 GP).

First question; Are there any good points/location that I should use instead of the jack points by the tires? As well as jack stands.

Now that that metal is bent, will the Trunk Jack still work? I assume it will.

Thanks
    Frank
  • Options
    hjahja Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue with 114,000 miles on it. The front passenger window will not go up. I've tried taking the door trim off and pushing the window up but it seems to get stuck even if I try to push it. It doesn't seem to be electrical. It seems to be the motor in that door. The other three windows work fine. Has anyone replaced the motor like this? Is it easy to do? How expensive is it? How hard is it? Thanks.
  • Options
    msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    I have '99 and mine went south last year. I went to Car-part.com and found one for $40 with shipping and in 10 minutes it was in. It is easy.
    The regulator is cable driven off a pulley on the electric motor. They come assembled together. Good luck.
  • Options
    mav2578mav2578 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any ideas???
    Last September, I had to replace my 3.5L engine in my '99 Intrigue GLS. The dealer told me the rods were spun and could go at any time. I don't doubt this as the engine was making a horrific noise. So I replaced the engine, at 49K miles and was lucky enough to have GM pay for half of the repairs as I had a record of all of my oil changes and those of the previous owner.

My question is this. Since the engine was replaced, the drivers side vents have blown air that is never as cold as that which is coming out of the passenger side vents. Even with the passenger climate control turned to the middle, the air is still colder on the passenger side. Is it possible that there would be an air hose that was not put in the correct place when the engine was replaced? Any assistance would be welcomed.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Usually when the driver's side blows warmer air than the passenger side, it's because the AC system is low on refrigerant. Since your car is out of warranty, find a good auto cooling specialist and have them test the system/put in more R134A, if necessary.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Options
    fgriff1fgriff1 Member Posts: 18
    Hello,
     I have a 00 GLS that the stock RSA need to be replaced, Believe or not the have 44K and still have some tread left. I've narrowed my replacements to Eagle GT-HR, Bridgestone Turanza LS-H, both are H-rated like the RSA. I'm also interested in the Michelin Hydroedge, except that they only come in T-rated. Spoke w/ Michelin. They said absolutely go with a H tire not a T tire. I'am puzzled, is the GLS suspension tune to a H tire??? I know I'll be giving up some handling/cornering that a H would give. The car is not driven hard at all(wife's car). Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Frank
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Go to tirerack.com (click their ad to the left) and search. Their rating system is great; helps weed out the inferior stuff. I went with the Goodyear Regatta II and have been very happy with them. Yokohama has a couple of good choices too.
    On another note: Just replaced the crank position sensor for the second time. First at about 40,000, now at 96,000. $220 the first time; $269 this time. Even worse, got caught out in the worst hail storm of my life (and I live in central Oklahoma) on the way to the service department. Only 4 or 5 dents that are obvious. Thought I was gonna loose the windshield there for a while, though. $75 million in insured losses from a single hailstorm according the newspaper. They had to dig cars out in some areas; pea- to marble-sized hail was a foot deep.
  • Options
    racerxracerx Member Posts: 8
    I replaced my Intrigue stock tires at about 45K miles with Hydoedge and couldn't be happier with the smooth ride and performance.

I do not have the autobahn package so the car came equipped with I believe S rated tires.
  • Options
    Hi all, I've had my Intrigue for just over a week and I really dig it!

I noticed that the shifter console isn't illuminated. I did some googling and came across a board where the subject was addressed. Some year/model owners said that their cars didn't have a console light and others said they did, so I don't know if I need to replace a bulb or not. Also provided instructions to change the bulb (below).

Sounds simple enough to do myself, but I don't want to bother if there's no bulb to replace. I didn't find any mention of a shift indicator light in the owner's manual btw.

Thanks for any info.

"To replace the bulb you need to remove the console trim. Place gear shifter in N. Flip open the armrest/storage box top and you will see the two screws that hold down the rear end of the console trim, remove them and you can pop out the trim easily. Disconnect the connector to the traction control switch on the console, if you have traction control, and place the trim aside.
    Now you'll see the 4 screws that hold down the shifter panel. Remove them and lift the panel a couple of inches so you can reach the bulb socket in the bottom of the panel. Turn the socket and take it out of the panel, and there sits the bulb."