Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    what he said...... :o)
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    What have you guys done to accessorize your Intrigue, if anything? I was looking thru the GM accessories book at the parts counter the other day and they have a variety of things. I'd love to get the logo'ed custom car cover but since I use my car every day I'd never use the cover. I picked up a couple of sets of Intrigue logo splashguards and will be installing them when the weather improves, and also ordered a set of logo floor mats. My Oldsmobile Club of America license plate frame is already on the back along with a GM showroom Oldsmobile front plate. Oh, plus my stainless steel Olds logo travel mug in the cupholder. I'd love to get a logo trunk mat but there is no such animal. Even a few aftermarket places that offer them said they would need me to make a template for their supplier since none had been produced. You guys do anything special?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    shortstarshortstar Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info, I will try this soon. Picked up the '194' bulb already (a long life one this time). White6, where is a good place to get a detailed/complete service manaul?
    -thanks,
    shortstar (formerly 'ketch')
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    i tinted my window @ 25%, it is both very beneficial and looks cool.
    i like the olds logo very much, sort of like a star trek symbol; i wouldn't mind to display this (logo) in a more prominent way if i could.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I got mine off e-bay. $35 I think. It was, of course, used. Don't bother with the CD versions they sell; not worth it in my opinion. I think they are around $110 if you buy them new. I usually go on e-bay once a week or so and search "intrigue."
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Thanks for the e-mail with the bulb replacement diagram. Never realized how easy it is to disassemble modern cars!

I must have broken a tab on the bulb socket because I can't get it to stay in place. Not the most convenient part to get to, either.

Deke
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Just got back from Las Vegas where gas prices were over the $2 mark, reg. $2.06, prem. 2.27. A good .45 cents more per gallon than here in the Land of OZ.
  • Options
    msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    That's nothing...Here is So. Cal we're at $2.19 for regular at the discount places. The big guys get 2.29 for regular and 10 cents more each for the other 2 grades. Ouch...It still usually costs $25 to fill 'er up. Costco is usually about 10 cents cheaper, but out of the way for me. It's getting crazy, I hope it doesn't go to $3per gallon, but it sure is headed that way!!
  • Options
    barrister89barrister89 Member Posts: 1
    My '01 GL has a little over 45k on it and needs new shoes. Any recommendations? I'd like to get 100k mis out of this car, so I'm willing to pay for good tires. I usually go with Michelins, but am curious about what others brands some of you may have used on your Intrigues.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I like the Michelin Harmony.
  • Options
    I sold my LS 400 Thursday night. Got $8750.
    If I can get the Impala sold I will be buying a Cadillac SRX.
    I believe that the CTS/SRX are the closest thing to the Intrigue that GM offers. A 4 door sedan/wagon with sporting pretensions.

A vehicle that has a OHC engine!!!!

Also it was my feeling that the V6 SRX is actually a little bit quicker than the Intrigue.
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    Man, you didn't keep that Lexus long. Good luck on selling the Impala. The CTS/SRX is certainly a worthy "upgrade" from an Intrigue although I don't know if it is the closest thing. IMO, the Grand Prix(pushrod motor and all) and the 05 Buick LaCrosse are probably the closest thing to an Intrigue.
  • Options
    Replaced the Eagle LSs on my base last July with Yokohama Avid Tourings. Great better traction, handling, quieter ride and no visable wear after 5500 miles!

I got mine through Tirerack for $53 each. Check them out at www.tirerack.com

You can do some serious comparison shopping there and read others reviews.

Deke
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    Michelin Pilots on mine. They are great tires, but the Avids sound like one heck of a deal!
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I second dekester on the virtues of the Avid Touring, an awesome tire that fares better than many Michelin ones according to the consumers survey at TireRack at an unbeatable price.
  • Options
    Why are you dumping the Lexus so soon? Would you share your experience?

TIA
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I wonder how it would drive as compared to an Intrigue.. Its getting some very positive press and the 3.5L/250hp model is priced like an Accord/Camry.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might also be interested in our own discussion - Chrysler 300. We've had lots of conversation about it.
  • Options
    It's ugly as sin!!! I can't see myself trading a sleek Oldsmobile for a Checkers cab! :-)
  • Options
    Lack of headroom in the lexus was the reason.
    Plus 2 car payments.
    prety much decide on a SRX.
    I like the direction Cadillac is going now.
  • Options
    i drove the front wheel drive one and it's pretty impressive, but the spec. say it's not as quick as the intrigue; reasons for that was said to be the transmission which sucks power from it.
    i saw the new 300 (rwd) on the road last month with a color plate and it looks very substantial, but i missed sitting in it at the auto show.
  • Options
    Bought my SRX today.
    Spent a long time taliking about the Intrigue with him.
    He told me that the warranty work on the Oldsmobiles is bringing some much needed money into the dealership.
  • Options
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • Options
    Wow, 11,000 posts on this thread. Not bad for a car that has been out of production for nearly 2 years and probably no more than 300,000 or so total produced.
  • Options
    Congrats on the SRX, very nice ride.
  • Options
    At the top of this page is a legend saying that I created this discussion (I didn't) and that it's read-only. Is this an after-effect of the disappearance entirely of this forum earlier in the week?

I'm getting worried... first, Olds is gone, then, some old-timers are gone, then, the entire discussion. Am I next? ;-)

• Options
    Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing - not sure if everyone is, or if some of us are just speshul. :)

It's been reported.

And no, please don't be next - we like you!
  • Options
    I think April 2002 was when the last Intrigue was produced. So it is almost 2 years.

My Olds dealer has a Final 500 Bravada.

He told me that they are winding down and that
    they have a few more cars coming in. After they sell those GM will come and get the sign.

Evidently the dealers lease the signs from GM.
  • Options
    Gees, i was trapped at another time zone (olds intrigue board) here with the most recent message there being March 1; very confusing with the changes made.
    Chrysler 300 and Magnum - there was just another article on these cars reviewed by the Toronto Star as the most impressive cars in recent memory!
  • Options
    Is there going to be a Final 500 Alero? The Final 500 Intrigue and Auroras were unique cars, but I don't see the point with the Bravada. It is basically now the Buick Ranier. And the Ranier actually has some upgrades over the Bravada.
  • Options
    Maybe they will improve its safety results? ;-) I mean in addition to a different colour, Aurora wheels and stitching in the headrests.
  • Options
    I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot HX-225/55/16's. Wow, what a difference. My Intrigue has never been so quiet. At 85mph it is so smooth and quiet I can't believe the difference to the Eagle LS's. They are H rated and considered a "Grand Touring" tire. They are very pricey though, Tirerack has them for $150 each. Ouch!! I got my set used for $200 with 9/32nds remaining from an SL 500 owner upgrading to Pilot XGT-Z's. Not bad and they sure are nice. Good luck.
  • Options
    I noticed I'm missing yet ANOTHER lug cap from the right rear - the third one in a month. I don't know if they're falling off or if they're being swiped (which I tend to believe more - lots of teen agers with nothing to do with their time here).

Does anyone have a spare?

When the car was new, my friend lifted me a set from the parts department and I've used them all up in five years - the last two just two weeks ago. I have new a center cap from a 98/99 I can trade!

Any ideas what I can use to attach the caps better? Kinda like what the NASCAR teams use to keep the lugs on the rims when they change tires? Silicone? As long as I can remove the caps with the lug wrench.....

I was planning on cleaning and painting them this weekend as the older ones are more white than the silver/grey of the new ones. Trying to decide on black or gun metal - with a high-gloss clear coat.

Deke
  • Options
    Well the time has come, I got a great deal on a convertible, 2002 Sebring Limited, dark blue with 35,000Km on it, from a friend moving to Europe. Sold my 1999 Intrigue to family for cheap. Its been as trouble free as I could hope for. Only bills over $200 were brakes and new tires.

Hard to believe how long I've been in this forum!
    I'll still lurk here I'm sure.
  • Options
    VcJumper - You'll be missed. Thank you for all your informative posts and interesting links!

With long timer like you moving on and changes happening at edmunds. i have a sad feeling that the intrigue board may have come to its end like the car itself :(

i am sure you'll have none of this as you will be enjoying the sunshine with your convertible :)
  • Options
    I don't know, this thread is still pretty active even with Intrigue owners moving on. I do wonder what happened to the fellow from Canada that had an Intrigue and Alero.

vcjumper, enjoy the Sebring. I'm not a big Mopar fan, but those are sharp looking convertibles and one of the few that will seat four comfortably. Nice color and model choice.
  • Options
    Drop me an email - address is in my profile.

• Options
    taycrontaycron Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone know of a good car manual for the Intrigue? I had a Haynes manual for my old car and it was useless.

I have to change the front left blinker light and the rear/side light...
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Try e-bay
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    I have a Chilton manual, although it's not that great. It covers all the W body cars. I don't think there is a Haynes manual for the Intrigue. My Chilton manual is catalog number 28380 and I got it at Barns & Noble. It would be fine for light bulbs and other minor things. The best manual is the GM service manual. I think it's about $120. I doubt you will find the GM manual on e-bay. I have looked several times without seeing one.
  • Options
    The owner's manual shows how to replace the bulbs...

Deke
  • Options
    taycrontaycron Member Posts: 65
    Thanks, Deke. You were right. I did look at the manual and didn't find it earlier. It was pretty simple.

I'm definitely getting a Chiltons manual..
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Had my dealer do a flush & fill along with the recent thermostat replacement. Occasionally now the low coolant light comes on. Never happened before. Usually goes out after a couple miles of driving. Cold level is just slightly below the min cold line. I will add some more tomorrow. Anything else it could be? Is there a special bleeding procedure to get air out (although certainly the dealer should know how to do this)?
  • Options
    There may be air trapped in the system. These cars have a air bleed screw on the thermostat housing. There is a section in the owners manual that covers it. When I flushed and re-filled mine, I started it and then cracked open the bleeder screw to allow the air to escape, and then closed it and it has been fine ever since. The screw is right on top of the T-stat housing and easy to see. A slot tip screwdriver and a 10mm wrench for the jam nut is all that is needed. Good luck.
  • Options
    hjahja Member Posts: 8
    1998 – Intrigue – 113,000 miles – My A/C button turns off and on intermittently – Also, the buttons that control airflow have to be held down or they won’t work. If I press fan up, the button goes off as soon as I let go. I have to wedge something in there to keep it on. Has anyone experienced this? What can I do to keep the button pressed without holding it and also get the A/C to stay on instead of going off and on? Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • Options
    The A/C system is cycling because it is low on refrigerant-most likely. The switch is an off/on single position type switch. You should get your system checked ASAP. Also, fan operation is contingent on system position. Does it work in vent mode? I doubt the fan switch is bad. Do you have the Automatic Climate Control system? At 6 years of age, it is not unusual to have lost some R134. No systems are leakproof. Good luck.
  • Options
    I had the same problem last Summer, but it happened more when the fan was set in the second speed position! If I went up one speed, no problem! I guess since this will be the 6th Summer, I'll have the system recharged before the season starts...if it ever does. March 17th and there's 6 inches of snow on the ground, flurries all day and more predicted for tomorrow night!

I've had it! I'm moving back to Florida where my sister's complaining that it's already 82 degrees!

Deke
  • Options
    hjahja Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Deke and MSW13!!!

When you say 'have the system recharged' what exactly do you mean?

Also, when you say R134, what does that mean. Sorry, I'm a beginner here. I'm trying to save some money and fix it myself if possible?

What do you guys think? Is it something I can do myself or is it better trusted in the hands of the dealer? Or, does any place do it and I don't have to take it to the dealer necessarily?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I noticed last summer (my 3rd with the Intrigue) that the A/C cycled on and off also. Didn't take it in but probably will this summer. I don't think a system should need a recharge after only 4 years but who knows. Probably not a do-it-yourself job.
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    134a is the type of refrigerant used in cars/refrigerators/dehumidifiers, etc...(but not home a/c). You can buy it at a discount store for about 4 or 5 bucks for a 12 oz can. Unless you have some experience, I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY. Although it is rather simple, some basic knowledge of A/C is helpful. There is always a small loss of refrigerant through the compressor clutch seal, but it should not be low in 4 years. I had a Beretta for 15 years. I never touched the A/C and it worked just as good the day I sold it as it did new. If you know a system is low by either low suction pressure or a warm evaporater, or excessive compressor cycling, you can add a can of 134a. On my Intrigue the service port is on the suction tube near the firewall. If there's a leak, then this will be a temporary fix.