Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The Century was the decontented Regal. I'll bet the Regal has most of these features.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    I've driven quite a number of GMs intermediates: the Century, Regal, Grand Prix (old and new styles), Lumina, Impala. Compared to my '94 Cutlass Supreme, I'd say the others were about the same or a little better.

When I test drove the Intrigue (3.5L)in '99, I couldn't believe it was really a GM. There really isn't a lot in the interior that is shared with the other divisions. And it feels/drives nothing like the others - but all of here already know that!
    Did you know that the headlights don't go on if the parking brake it set? Parked on an incline this morning in front of a store. Set the parking brake (which I rarely do), came out, started the car and no light. They went on with the switch fine. Wasn't till I put it in reverse and the chimes started to alert me that the parking brake was on that I realized the connection. I suppose that's supposed to be another reminder.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Hehe, you found the stalking/dating feature.

If you want to park on the side of a street with the car running but not let everyone know your there/draw attention to yourself. Shut off, apply brake and restart. Tada, no lights.

Seriously though, I use it when I'm working on a car when you need the key in the acc. but do no want to load down the battery with the headlights.

I do believe there is a reference to it, buried somewhere in the manual.

cheers
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    It's a great reminder, especially if it's dark. A few times I have wondered what was wrong and realized the parking brake was on.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    doing a lot of research lately on newer cars and it seems most of them don't come with stability control. Intrigue pretty much included this feature in their last 2 years of selling and i am very glad that i got it. It was just mentioned on tv last week saying this is a very desirable if not a must feature to look for in winter time.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    hey everyone, thanks for the input on the transmission. unfortanatly, it still comes and goes. today she said it did it after she got gas, shifting REALLY hard. she got on the highway rightway so she didn't notice it once she got to highway speeds. then she said she had to slow down because of a old fart, then floored it to pass them. then the car started shaking really bad and the SES light came on. she pulled over and shut the car off. maybe 2 minutes later she restarted it and the car drove completly fine, and continuted to be fine for the next 1.25 hours she drove it to wisconsin.

so its some sort of sensor that needs replacing? anyone have anymore info? is this somthing i can do for her, or is it inside the transmission? it was the torque convertor lockup circuit, trouble code p0742. like everyone, we want to fix it as cheaply as possible, but a dealer visit isn't affordable for her

thanks
    Wow, cool, in stealth mode. Thank you for sharing :)
    I think my Eagle LS' are gone. I have 84000 kms on my Intrigue and I am getting a bit of a wallowing or jiggling of the car sometimes. Everything else seems fine so I think it's the tires. They are pretty noisy now also. Anyone else had this?

I priced out some GY Assurance Comfortreds at C$139 installed. Is this an ok price? The tires seem to be well rated and should be more quiet according to the tire store.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Yes, I did, the same lame Eagle LS. I had them replaced with Yokohama Avid Touring before the end of their life and it was a change like night and day.
    I also got the Yoko Avid Tourings and am very happy with them. I think they have renamed that model but I'm not sure what it's called now.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I went with a Sigma Regents (made by Cooper). $95 each installed. The tires for this car are pretty expensive.I woudl expect to pay about minimum $90 per tire installed.

You may want to Check Sam's Club, BJ's or Costco's. Theyy sell a number of the Michelin tires for about $100-$105 a tire. not sure of the installation price.
    And the Yokohama tires cost me $70 a pop, including assembly and balancing. ;-)
    The guy at the tire warehouse told me that the Eagles need to be rotated every 10K kms. If they aren't they will get noisy and I think most people do not rotate that regularly.

Just came back home with Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds. $132CDN/tire (about $100 US). Beautiful! Costco had similar grade Bridgestone's but they were more.

I highly recommend them, and they are a very highly rated tire also. The car is riding better than brand new. Hopefully many more years with my trusty Olds!!
    how's the perma black feature on your goodyear holding up? it seems to be rated highly but there aren't too many feedback yet as the tire is fairly new. Is that $132 cdn installed and balanced?

i am thinking of getting the BF Goodrich T/A T rated tire as they have a 235/55/16 tire, wider and lower but only give you 1.7% difference. I don't want to spend lot of money going to 17" with new rims so this seems to be the best option?
    There was a $15 installation / disposal charge and a $10 or $12 balance charge on top of that $132. Got them at Bramalea Tire the Toronto airport. They are 225/60/16s.

I have had good luck with BF Goodrich also, you won't likely go wrong there. The Goodyears seemed to be better rated and I have also had good luck with them over the years. Check it out..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?typ- - e=AS
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    Just had the upper intake replaced for the second time on my 99 Intrigue (3.8). There is a new design from the first one. Hopefully this one will last longer. I only have 55K on the car and think going thourgh 2 in that time frame is crazy, although the part is notorious for causing problems.

Luckliy I had the foresight to get a 7 year 100k extended warranty when I bought the car. At $600 a pop these 2 upper intakes have paid for the warranty.

Just past 6 years of ownership with my Intrigue and still love it.
    what problem did you have causing you to replace these upper intake?

i too have a 5 years 100km extended warranty and i want to take full advantage of it before it expire in 1.5 years time.
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    The first time I had a small spot of coolant on the garage floor. I keep a white scrap piece of armstrong flooring on the garage to spot anything.

The second time it was oil. There was quite a bit of oil pooling at the bottom of the engine if you looked with a flashlight under where the serpentine belt runs.
  • fgriff1fgriff1 Member Posts: 18
    Hi everyone. I have a 00 GLS with 53K. I having the Frt pads done (1st time!). So I decided to have the RAD flushed and hoses changed (1st time). The garage calls me and says no hoses are available for the 3.5. I was surprised to hear that. Are the 3.5 hoses an olds part only??
    Yes, the 3.5 is an Olds-only engine.

I'd advise you to look up the parts at http://gmpartsdirect.com. It's about half the price relative to the dealer's.

HTH
    The issue on my car is not that it pops, but that it's got about 1/2 to 3/4" play. The dealer said that it's the U-joint that's worn out.

A creeping feeling has grown in me that this issue is not annoying, but also potentially dangerous. Perhaps I should start thinking about getting the parts and plunging the cost.

For those who've had it replaced, what part numbers were replaced? Are there new part numbers that fix the issue for good?
    Whenever the temperature drops below 40F, this issue is noticeable. At first I thought that it just so happened that it's darker sooner in winter, thus my noticing the issue. But after a few warm spells of 60F, I could confirm that it happens only when it's cold.

Even when the engine warms up the issue goes on. However, if the car is warm and is stopped for less than 1h, the issue doesn't show up.

I noticed that there are 2 alternator part numbers, 10464395 (00-02) and 10464086 (98-99). Mine is a '00, so it doesn't seem that the 10464395 fixes anything.

Is a 3rd party part the only way to get this solved once and for all?

TIA
    I had the alternator fixed on my 2000 Intrigue and it's never given me problems since. I used to get a dimming when it was very cold but we had some very cold days in January and it was perfect. I would assume there are 3rd party ones that would work though GM wouldn't pay for them (if you are still under warranty on that part).
    I had the same thing happen to me on Friday in my 2000 Intrigue. It was around 35-40 degrees out but the wind was howling. It was as if my headlights were candles and the wind was blowing it out. It got so bad that I got off the highway to not piss off anyone. I took the baack roads home to avoid my lights flashing in someone's mirror. It did the same thing the next night but stopped as I drove further north. Then yesterday, no wind but same temperatures (and fog lights on), no problems. I'm not sure if the alternator is bad, if it is a bad ground or what? This has happened before but never this bad.

Anyone who has expereinced this, is it more prevalent if your battery is older? My battery is the original one..just about 5 years old.
    I can't imagine what it had to do with the wind, sounds like the alternator issues though. Mine (I have a 2000 also) did it in extreme cold only but others have seen different.

Keep monitoring the situation and in the mean time, check your battery. It could also be that.
    I checked with the original owner today and it is the original battery for the car. So the battery has been going since October 1999. I've never had a battery last that long. Most have failed in year 3 or 4. I think I will change the battery either tomorrow or this weekend. It's a safe bet that i will need on in the near future anyway.
    My Intrigue was built in Dec 1999 and I also have the original battery. No sign that it's failing. The OE battery in our 1996 Explorer was still fine when we sold the car last year.

Battery technology has improved over the years like everything else.
    I also had a 1996 Explorer and the battery lasted just over 4 years. I think it has more to do with the number of electronics in your car then anything else.
    That's true. The susceptibility to low temperatures makes the battery a likely candidate to keep the eye on, as the chemical reaction in it does depend on the operating temperature. Perhaps a better candidate than the alternator.

Oh, wait. The battery on my car is less than 2 years old. There goes my theory... :-(
    Batteries are a funny thing. I still have the original in my Intrigue but our old Cavalier battery was changed (under warranty) after about a year and a half. Seems like there is not a lot of consistent quality in these things and it's not like the driving conditions have changed at all.
    Speaking of batteries, I had mine checked at Autozone. (Man, those guys and gals get to play with some neat toys.) Anyway, I had the battery tested and it measured over 12 volts. So the battery is doing fine. I guess it is the alternator.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Wish the battery on my '00 GL lasted as long as some of yours! Last year, I saw that my positive terminal was completely corroded and that the battery casing was cracked. By the time I cleaned all the corrosion off, I noticed the positive terminal connector and cable had fused together. Ended up replacing the battery and the positive battery cable. That was a definite test in patience - not only does it connect to the starter on the other side of the engine compartment, it also runs up into the fuse center, near the passenger side strut tower.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    The battery in my 99 GL was replaced under warranty when the car was about 2-1/2 years old. Cracked case at the positive terminal and leaking acid. Made them replace the battery tray as well, since it was affected by the acid leak. This was a fairly common problem with a batch of Intrigues (possibly other models, too) and there was no argument about replacement at the time. That battery is still going strong (knock on wood) 4-1/2 years and 75,000 miles later. I also replaced the alternator at about 50,000 miles (new Delco from O'Reilly's with lifetime warranty) and have not had the "flicker" return since. Car now has about 107,000. I really believe that it was insufficient capacity in the original voltage regulator causing these flickering problems. I think that the newer alternators incorporate an upgraded voltage regulator that takes care of the problem.
  • c2000intriguec2000intrigue Member Posts: 5
    Hey there,

i have a 2000 GLS and put the car in the trans shop back in october due to hard shifts up and hard shifts back down once i took my foot off of the gas pedal. Well it has been in the shop every week for 2 months now. At first, check engine lights were coming on because torque convertor was bad and now i am back to the beginning with the hard shifting issues again. it almost feels like someone is rear ending me when it happens. they have rebuilt the transmission now twice and replaced the valve body.
    Also when accelerating once the car first starts for the first 10 minutes or so, when i push the gas pedal the engine revs and the rpms go up, but i don't move any faster. It's like i get stuck at the same speed no matter what. The shop replaced the throttle positioning sensor and it hasn't helped.
    i really like my intrigue and it's a great car (other than the turn signal lights not working half the time) When the car is working properly, it is such a great, smooth ride. If anyone has any advise or knows what else may be wrong, i would greatly appreciate the info. ( i still like my car better than any of the sedans out there today!)
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    How in the world does a TPS (throttle position sensor) fix a transmission problem? If the engine responds to the accelerator pedal, then how could they think the TPS was the culprit? Sounds like you need a new shop..... someone who actually knows how to diagnose and fix stuff. And from what you describe, sounds like perhaps the tranny fluid is draining from the torque converter overnight and then has to "re-fill" after cold start. Whoever has been working on your transmission is a moron, as evidenced by the fact that after "rebuilding" it twice it is still not functioning properly. That said, I do realize that finding an honest tranny shop that knows what they're doing (or even cares) can be next to impossible.
    The Intrigue has a mechanical linkage for the accelerator, but the TPS is used by the injection and by the transmission to read the accelerator position. One to know how much gas to inject to keep the mixture stochiometric, the other, to down shift and stuff...

Yet, given the inability of the shop to get things fixed for good, it is indeed time to find another one. But before, demand to get the torque converter right, because I think that it's stuck again.

HTH
  • c2000intriguec2000intrigue Member Posts: 5
    I'm sorry, after they tried reworking the transmission a second time, the check engine code for the TPS came up. I wasn't having the hard shifts "this week". They started back up the next week. It is going back tomorrow to address the problem again. I'm already out $1700.00 from my initial visit in October 04. I'm gonna demand my money back if they can't get it fixed this time. Thanks for the comments.
    Kept getting the "cannot connect to server" error message. Finally got in tonight (Monday 9 pm EST) and I see messages from Sat and Sun. Wondering what could have kept me out. I had no problems with any other site.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    From what I heard today, there is a problem getting to the Forums from www.edmunds.com, as in it's broke. One way to get here is from http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/ForumsLanding.

There is conversation about the continuing issues the www.edmunds.com site is having in this discussion: Inside Line Feedback and Questions.

Essentially, all the Forums folks are very sorry for what's going on and it's apparently out of our control. It has nothing to do with the Forums at all, it's all the main site, but it affects some of the paths to get here. :(
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    The town hall forums have been fubar'ed ever since Inside Line was rolled out. You aren't the only one who couldn't access the site - same problems here. This is shaping up to be a case study in how to kill off a popular site, just as GM's handling of Olds is a case study of how to murder a once-popular brand.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

What bothers me, since it was a known problem, is why Edmunds.com didn't put something on the home page alerting people of the problem. It's inexcusable for a major website to keep its visitors in the dark like that. I have started searching for other forums too.

Btw, I plan to sell my Intrigue this spring and get either a G35, TL, or TSX.
    Check out the CTS also, it's a sweet ride and not as generic to look at as Acuras.
    I guess your generic is my stylish (at least the TL). I'm not a fan of the CTS look at all and comparably equipped, I think the Acura will be a better deal all around.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please post your comments in the discussion I linked here: pat, "Oldsmobile Intrigue" #11483, 21 Feb 2005 9:32 pm. That's the way to get them seen by people who can (maybe) make a difference. It is a certainty that they won't be seen here.

Thanks!
    That's true, the TL has been a bargain even in the previous generation. And the new one is a looker. The only thing I read about it that concerns me is torque steer, something that GM never gets credit for taming, and very well so.
    Acuras looks too much like Hondas which all just blend in IMO. If I'm going to spend that much money on a car, I would like it to stand out a little. That's not to say I would buy a bright yellow or fire engine red Hummer but for me Acura = boring even though they are a good value buy.

If I can pull it off, I'd love a base 3.6L CTS to replace my loved Intrigue some day. I think I will have a hard time parting with the Olds though, I still enjoy driving it as much today as I did 5 years ago when I bought her. When it's clean, I still look at the car in awe.
    About to replace my brake pads, should i do a brake flush at the same time? Anyone got this done before?
    If you've never changed the brake fluid, you should. It absorbs water over time which causes corrosion in the brake lines.
    Well Ihad my Intrigue inspecte yesterday. I asked the shop to do a test of the charging system since I had the flickering headlights. They performed the test (or at least tried) and could not complete it because the battery needed replacing. I told the service manager that i had it tested at Advance Auto. He stated that the Advance Auto test is with the car off while they test it with a "load" on the system. It is more accurate. It does make sense. So I will replace the battery tomorrow. Hopefully this will solve the headlight problem.

Will keep you up to date.