Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Yes you are right. Just browsing the entries from the V40 and S80 Volvo forums the quality and reliability problems new Volvo owners are having are simply unacceptable at that price level.

The S60 sedan is a looker, but too expensive; however it is a good alternative to a VW Passat.

As much as I like European cars, I don't see myself buying one anytime soon...their reliability stats are nothing to write home about.

Tensor:: Enjoy the car!.
  • Options
    mavis1mavis1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the information. I have an appointment Wednesday 2/7/01 with dealership. I have a feeling they are going to tell me it is because of the aerodynamics of the car. You would think that for what you pay it should not have this problem. Is anyone aware of other makes and models having these same problems?? Also, in answer to ETHARMON I was traveling about 60 or 65mph
  • Options
    racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    Go to http://www.spxkentmoore.com. They sell special service tools metioned in the shop manual. Filter wrench for 3.5 is part number "J 26142" and runs about $13
  • Options
    gunrunnergunrunner Member Posts: 2
    To oldtimer4;

My 3.5l has a 15mm drain plug, and the oil filter receiver is removed using a standard small A/C cartridge wrench ... the kind that fits over the end of a conventional A/C filter. Be sure that your dirty oil container is capable of handling 6 full quarts. My last change was totally drip free!
    Although none of the local books list a filter for this engine, the element, which resembles an overgrown fuel filter element, is a Deutsch D-450, A/C PF-2129, and Purolator L25274. Cost will be surprisingly low .... like $2.35! If you elevate the front-end of the car very high to access the drain, you will cause the sump to retain old oil. Someone needs to market a set of FOUR (4) light-weight mini-ramps about 3" to 4" high! I use four stacked cutoffs from pressure-treated 2x12's to give me working room. And don't waste your time looking for grease zerks- I found none on mine, but will look again when it warms up ..... especially around the rear suspension.
    ?Does anyone have more to offer about the grease/lube points on the Intrigue?
  • Options
    suenertomsuenertom Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if anyone out there bought a new Intrigue since the special offers and warranty were announced? Are dealers selling below invoice or are they being stingy thinking the incentives are enough to make the sale? If you bought one this year please let me know how much you paid and what model and options you got for that price. Thanks
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    You asked: Is anyone aware of other makes and models having these same problems?

Chevrolet Malibu is doing the same.

If you open only the back window, without opening the front one, there is a loud noise. Like a flag flapping on the strong wind. Clearly an air dynamic thing.

It happens on highways and faster rural roads, at speed above 45-50 mph if I remember it right.

It is very easy to eliminate the noise: just open a front window a bit. About half an inch is enough with Malibu, as well as I remember.
  • Options
    14151415 Member Posts: 249
    teo:::::::thanks for asking about my return---it happened last nite about 5 pm..The Northstar performed like a champ and hauled [non-permissible content removed] up I-75 from Sarasota to the Motor City averaging 71.9mph for the 1296 miles and getting 24mpg on the premium stuff..

The Intrigue had sat in the garage since 1/19 and did not start without coughing, sputtering,and backfiring---the "Service Engine Light" popped right on in bright yellow. It acted like the Caddy Northstar after setting for three weeks which is like starting up a 20 yr old outboard
    motor with fouled plugs.

I posted a message last night but our resident do-gooder scrubbed it. I ripped the Asian guys; mainly Acura 3.5 which I had the displeasure of riding in---noisy car with cheap interior and a balloon price.

Condo sale is closing today and furniture is stored in Lauderhill Fla...Real estate folks in my deal are going to have to answer to the Fla real estate board for their screwups..big mess. Supposed to close 4:00 pm 1/29--found out 30 minutes before--no closing. Never got involved in such a deal!!!!

Got to work...

Weather in Fla has been chilly and not up to its usual warmth...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Welcome back 1415.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    The service manager called this morning to let me know the "re-designed" alternator has been released and he now has one on order for my 99 GL. Said he will call when it comes in. Anyone else hear anything? BTW, I don't want to sound "flammy" at all, but after checking the pricing on Maxima's and Intrigue's, it seems to me that the Intrigue should have been cheaper, after rebates, than what was paid for the Max. Perhaps the local Olds dealer was not "dealing" as well as he should have. Of course, it's hard to beat a left-over 2000 model with a manual transmission with a 2001 model with automatic, regardless. I hope you like the Max, cause it depreciated a bunch when you drove away from the Nissan dealer, since it is already almost two model years old. Don't get me wrong, if that is what you like, that is what you should get. I would not buy another Intrigue and ours has been relatively trouble-free compared to a lot of posters, with the alternator problem being the most irritating, since they couldn't fix it. But my wife still really likes to drive the car, it has lots of power and routinely returns 25 to 27 miles per gallon, has no squeeks or rattles, and we still feel it was a good value for the $21,700 we paid two years and 38,000 miles ago. We are replacing the Goodyear LS tires this weekend with a set of the new Goodyear Aquatread III's. I hope I didn't make a mistake with the Aquatread's, but the TireRack's evaluation chart put them on top of the "All Season" chart, with great traction in the wet and snow, good handling, good noise and excellent wear (supposedly a 80,000 mile tire). Wear will be a factor, since we will have to keep the Intrigue a long time to make up for the GM-mandated obsolescence.
    1415... Believe it or not, I have put the 3800 Firebird up for sale, and I'm going to replace it with a 2001 Formula. Yes, that's right, I'm going to buy another GM product. Must be crazy, but, hey, where else are you gonna get 310 hp for $23,000? I really like the Firebird, just needs about another hundred horsepower or so. It's hard to get in and out of, but once you're there, boy, sure is fun! I'll probably order a black/black Formula. Still trying to decide whether to get an auto or the six-speed manual.
    Sorry about the long post...
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    white6: speaking of Firebirds, a local dealer is advertising them with WS-6 package, 6-speed manual, chrome wheels, leather, and removable top for $28,998. Use the GM loyalty certificate to knock another $1000 off and that sounds like a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    My wife's Taurus does it and my parent's Dodge Spirit, and several other cars I have driven in. It seems to have more to do with the volume and shape of the interior cavity and windows than the exterior aerodynamics. The principle is probably the same as blowing over the hole in a flute, but on a much larger scale. Opening another window slightly breaks the resonance.
  • Options
    After driving the Caddy for the last two weeks and the return trip from Fla.,I became used to the low noise level. The Intrigue is an absolute noise bucket and the Michigan roads really do not help. The "Check Engine" light finally faded out; when will it awake again????

white6::::::The Firebird selection is super and its the kind of noise I can take..Personally I would get the automatic; but the stick would be neat for a couple weeks!!!Black/black is the best combo; my 71 SS350 was that combo with vinyl seats..

teo:::::::King Auto in Lauderdale was advertising 01 Auroras for 23,499 over the weekend of 1/20/01 and by Wednesday the price was all the way up to 25,499. They had 01 Aleros GLSs for 14,600. I talked to the sales mgr on that Sat or Sun; however never got down to the visit--got busy with the move and other things..

Cars are cheaper in Fla...pricing is along the lines of employee offerings in Detroit area.

The domestic Big Three auto sales in the southeast is a sad sight with the Asians eating Detroit's lunch---Big Time!!!!

As a auto supplier, our domestic big 3 production is heading along with our hertiage down the sewer. Our local goverments handed the Asians their victories with free everything; and our domestics were screwed to the wall with the high costs....
  • Options
    I have scheduled a test drive for a new 3.5 Aurora......let;s see how it goes. The finance deals are extremely tempting but have to make up my mind by late march.

before you left last month you told us you had ordered a new Aurora for your wife...any news on the car?

What are you waiting for to get rid of the Intrigue?.....you do have an interesting love/hate relationship with that car!

As for my Impala, it turns out to be that the intermediate steering shaft failed in the same fashion as early production intrigues....who makes this crappy part? Is it Delphi-Saginaw??
    Car is driving great again, question until when??
    It seems that the Y2K Impalas are having those shafts replaced left and right.....

Good to see you back...coming back to Florida to visit us?
  • Options
    slopedirkslopedirk Member Posts: 46
    To answer some questions posted here by white6 -

Yes, the regular max's are much more expensive than the Olds 2001 GLS's. We were nearly set on the Olds until we saw that deal on the 2000 max.

I was aware of depreciation of 2000 vs '01, but my last car I kept 13 years, so its not really a big factor given its the same car for much less $$

a 5 speed is not as desireable for the mainstream nowadays, is it? I grew up shifting and was trying to talk wife into a auto but she wanted the SE / 5speed belive it or not. Resale on a 5speed won't be great, but see holding period mentioned above

driveability is very good, but motor is so quiet & smooth that engaging clutch at stop is taking some practice, and the fact it's not a torque monster below 1500rpms. I have been breaking the motor in so can't comment on how fast it is yet. The engine control problems are pretty minor. I'm thinking of a few shadetree solutions I might try if it really is annoying enough. For now, I'm happy with the choice.

I'm thinking of getting a V8 chevy truck extended cab to hotrod on trade for my standard cab dodge 4x4. THAT would be "my" vehicle with headers, cam, bumpin' stereo, beefy tires on conservative wheels....

S
  • Options
    white6 : 2001 Formula... sweet. I wish I had the money for a toy.

1415 : I thought it was the south west that was Asian car country. I know BC definitely has more Asian cars than Ontario.

teo : Let us know how the Aurora test goes. A lawyer in my building just bought a 2001 3.5L black one. I was drooling! ;-)
  • Options
    teo:::::::My thoughts on the Intrigue would be yanked by the higher powers of censorship--pronto!

The big complaint is the overall screwed-up front end with the damn noise. The brakes I have discovered are possibly the victims of warpage due to the overtorquing of the lug nuts by the Olds/Cad dealer.

I have discovered this brake condition purely by accident for the wifes Caddy visited the dealer to have new wheels and tires installed in late Aug 00. When in Fla I had the original rotors turned and new pads at 40k miles. My Mich dealer replaced the wheels and tires at around 46k miles; however I noticed in driving to Fla in Nov 00 that I has picking up a warped rotor sensation and at 54k miles the rotors need turning. To have the rotors totally screwed up in 10k miles of driving is not my driving habits or my wifes.

The Mich dealer has not been involved with any of the Caddy maintenance except the wheel and tire deal; they had not seen the car since it was delivered new in 10/96..

They have done all the brake servicing and tire rotations on the Intrigue since new. Tires have been rotated 5 times and front rotors have been turned twice; they are screwed up again.

In inquiring with the Service Mgr this day; I asked if they used torque limits on wheel lugs--no,no,and no.

Tomorrow I will have a chit-chat with the Gen Mgr for in my high mileage life span I have never experienced such screwed up brake performance on two cars and the only common item is the service dept. The greatest thing is that they only touched the Caddy once and it shows.

Magnasteer is a product of Delphi Systems which is the ruler of the old Saginaw bunch.

Teo::::::I have lots of furniture stored in Fla--maybe we can make a deal. Its costing me $200/mo to keep it comfortable. I will return to Fla soon for my working/earning career is coming to a close soon. My fun days of playing/working and general screw off are drawing to a close.

I hate to look forward to the fixed income BS..

The Aurora, I guess has been ordered and if its a giveaway; my Caddy will go!!!
  • Options
    racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    Everytime the dealer takes the wheels off, I loosen all the lugnut and hand torque with a torque wrench. Takes about 5 minutes, a few times a year.

Beside warping your rotors, wait until someone super torques your lug nuts and 4 months later you have a flat when it's raining and can't get the lug nuts off with to change the tire. Happened to more than one person I know.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Has anyone heard how Intrigue sales did last month? I'm wondering how well the recently increased incentives are paying off. I sure don't see cars flying off my local dealer's lot. I would like to get an '01 but may wait a bit to see if GM will sweeten the deal a little more - especially with resale values taking a dive south.
  • Options
    grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Believe it or not, Olds' sales have actually increased since GM's announcement. It's the only GM division, along with Saturn, to increase its sales. Some dealers are even reporting a shortage of cars! At the NADA meeting, several Olds dealer wanted GM to reverse its decision, pointing to increased sales since the GM lengthened the warranties and actually began promoting the cars. GM refused. Makes you wonder - what if GM had actually taken these steps - increasing the warranty and adding incentives for the sales' reps - about four or five years ago? It might have helped the new models get off to a better start. Kind of makes you wonder just how the people running GM these days ever reached their positions in the first place. Sure isn't because of their brilliant insights into today's automotive market!
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    1415, glad your back. I'd love to have seen your post about the Asian cars as I have no love for them either. I just don't see what the deal is, they are about as exciting as a peanut butter sandwich. You ready for tax day?

Tensor, hope you like the Volvo. At least you didn't go the boring Asian route. I will say, the new Volvos are stylish looking and I'd almost even consider a C70 covertible if I could afford it.

White6, those F-body prices are tempting. I figure with $1000 in GM loyalty money plus other incentives, I'd almost be tempted to look at a Z28 or a Formula. Not my first pick as an only car, but since they are going the way Oldsmobile is(and they truly are performance bargains) I'm starting to think hmmm. But I'm sure my insurance agent would love for me to buy one too. Being an unmarried male 26 years old, he could probably afford to buy himself one off my increased premiums. Totally unpractical, but I'd love to have something like that. Raw and completely politically incorrect, just the way I like it:) It's sad to see great performance cars like the F-bodies dying while we dull "dime a dozen" 4 banger rice burners are everywhere. And the kids these days seem to think those are performance cars.
  • Options
    I was hoping that if sales of Oldsmobile went up, the decision to kill the division may be reversed. From what I am hearing, the decision is final. I guess my big hope now is that the Aurora is saved and moved to another division. I would love to get one when I'm done with my Intrigue.
  • Options
    etharmon:::::Tax day is never a nice day for we have to pay the turkeys that give our hard earned money away for any cause they see fit!!!!!Subsidize California because the whackos thought we would be dumb enough to live by candle light...

Don't anyone put off a car purchase which would enhance your lifestyle or ego based on the premise of things will be better tomorrow for the auto world. The current thinking based on energy is smaller, lighter, slower, and ugly..The bigger is better is gone forever--the V-8 will die and the horsepower will backtrack. The 73 energy crunch changed the auto and this time the prices of energy will not retreat for too much of the world pays big time to motor around--its our turn in the barrel.

If its a V-8 one wants that goes 160mph and cost only $25,000 better buy it now, for neither GM or Ford in the future will produce such animals..

The Asians will continue to screw our economy to the wall so anybody on this forum pushing the foreign rice burners please reserve your comments for the proper Asian forum..

Will continue later!!!!
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    coming in about 4 days. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    That CNNFN article Yurakm has referenced gives the impression that rather than make a decisive cut-off in production or even better - re brand the existing good vehicles, GM is going to cut off what's left of the advertising feeding tube (certainly minimal now), let the dealers languish until people no longer visit the show rooms and then just shut off the lights.
    What a typically GM stupid manner of approach! I would think the dealers ought to be even more angry than previously as they absorb this plan.

Anyone who understands anything about manufacturing products knows, too, that as you slow production, lay off or transfer knowledgeable and skilled workers and gradually shut down supply lines, product quality suffers and delinquencies rise. Believe me, I have seen this first hand. GM would have been better to make a decisive action and give a date to stop the line rather than bleed it like this.

Even worse - it leaves no hopes for the great Aurora and your Intrigues to migrate elsewhere and suggests resale values will erode as feared.

What a BUMMER!!!

Ken
  • Options
    yurakm : Ya I know the official line, but I also know that the at least 2 divisions are fighting for the Bravada and the Aurora. Oldsmobile will be dead in 2 years max.. and both Aurora and Bravada have too much invested in them to drop so soon.

1415 : Pony cars will all be dead before long. Sad but true.
  • Options
    I have read about rumors of the current Aurora going to the Chevy division. While I have no idea how the heck they will market this clearly upscale market vehicle under the Chevrolet umbrella, I think it would make some business sense as Chevy is the only division that doesn't currently have a 'Full size' sedan per se or a G-Body car in thier lineup. The biggest sedan right now for Chevy is the W-body Impala.

Pontiac has already the Bonneville and Buick has the LeSabre, both Spinoffs of the G-body platform and the Aurora platform.

Unless Buick has serious plans to drop the current Park Avenue sedan real soon, then I could see the Aurora becoming the new flagship of the Buick division.

It is still possible that the Aurora could become a Cadillac, but with the advent of the all new 2002 Catera replacement and the current Seville (Which all G-Platform full size sedans are derived from)the car could seriously overlap with other models in Caddy's house.

I see the Aurora (If it survives) going to either Chevy, Buick or Cadillac.

As for the 2002 Bravada, I see it going to Buick (A higher priced version above the Rendezvous) or a more 'economical' SUV alternative to the Escalade in the Cadillac fold.

Interesting to see what will happen to those two vehicles.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It seems you can get an Intrigue these days for about the same price as an Alero because of the prices dropping (MSRP anyway). I like both cars, but the Intrigue is much more upscale than the Alero.

Also wanted to share something I read while perusing the Oldsmobile website. When you take the "no payments for 1 year" deal, you only pay on the loan for 48 months with no interest for the first year. I thought it was a five-year deal, but it's like 24.50 per 1000 financed or something. Considering I figured an Intrigue at $23K, that would be almost $500 a month for 48 months.
  • Options
    If Aurora and Park Ave are both replaced by the new Buick concept car I've seen somewhere it could be a move to merge those two models. Wish I knew where I saw those pics but it seemed to be retro styled (big 50's style toothy grin akin to Bengal) and looked a lot like the lines of an Aurora.

Hard to see future for Intrigue

Ken
  • Options
    Many have posted the question here, including myself, asking if Oldsmobile sales continue on the rise, will GM keep the division?

Well folks, take a look at this: http://auto.com/targetnews/articles/Automotive/02_06_2001. reulb-story-bcupdate2spsourson.html

What that means is that Oldsmobile can sell a million units btwn now and September and GM will still shut them down. The bean counters are running the show now and their only concern is "perception". Accounting types are always looking at you out the corner of their eye. Anyone who has to purchase big ticket items on their job knows what I mean.

Some have made valid points such as increased sales, particularly during a time when historically sales are slow. Other points are the massive amounts of money GM will have to pay because of lawsuits by dealers, buyouts and layoffs along with their associated lawsuits and buying back unsold inventory. If Olds continues the upswing from January and considering all I've just stated, it would make sense to keep it, right?

Wrong! Having worked for both publicly held and privately held companies I can tell you that logic doesn't always dictate actions. If GM was privately held and everything in the previous paragraph happens, Olds probably would get a call from the governor. But GM is NOT privately held. Therefore, its image to Wall St. and investors means more to them than even the vehicles they sell. Based on the data from the hyperlink above, the bean counters want GM to do something drastic to cut their losses. The easy and obvious choice is to can Olds. "But sales are steadily increasing." True. But bean counters seem to always look into the past. And the past says that Olds has to go. So no matter how good sales are for the next 6 months, Oldsmobile is never coming back.

"That's the way I see it, that's the way it 'oughta be."-- George Wallace, comedian.
  • Options
    one2one : Olds is gone.. no doubt about it. Sad but true.

vocus : While I like the Alero, I would sooner get a base Intrigue GX than an Alero GLS loaded. I drove my mom's Alero for 3 weeks while they were down in Portugal and the engine and refinement just isn't as good as Intrigue. Space wise the Alero was ok, but I always prefer a little bigger.

teo : Aurora will never be a Chevy. It just doesn't fit. Bravada could go to Buick or Cadillac. It would fit in ether lineup with minor changes. Keep in mind, Bonneville is gone in 2 years.
  • Options
    I've seen this suggestion posted several times now. Can you or anyone point me to a GM announcement on that or is it a presumption?

I'm a bean counting Bonneville owner - definitely down for the count here today!

Ken
  • Options
    Olds sales in Fla are done on the basis of an additional $500 sweetener...This comes from a northern dealer who just became aware of it..

Don't know what kind of a label it carries--maybe super-senior or the "early bird deal".

GM brass is in a difficult spot and having gone through some management changes where the ball was dropped completely and the brand died..someone
    had to make some decisions; Olds was already on its death bed by design, so no problem to gut the place. The slow death approach is not a realistic way; and will be a risk for future ownership in the many ways; the biggest area is fit/finish and overall quality. There is no incentive to correct a problem, and no timetable.

As long as we turkeys will buy; GM will feed us Olds products. I would hate to be a Olds supplier and try to second quess the life of the product.

On the giveaway leases GM will bite the bullet in the end for the car will be so-called dead meat. Nissan went bankrupt doing cheap leases and the French govt ended up owning them after their creative sales program backfired..

After reading several articles on this big screwed-up mess of closing Olds, along with the confusion among the dealers and the sales giveways...I have come to the conclusion "No Free Lunch".. I will stay away from the product line..

All you wonderful people assisted my decision to pass on owning another Oldsmobile product. I am finished after the 99 Intrigue leaves or dies..

Since the car is free and clear; I can keep it or broom the beast. Any offers?????
  • Options
    nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    A recent GM press conference also states that no Oldsmobile models will be picked up by the other divisions. Olds is truly gone for good. It's GM's own fault. Olds milked every sale out of the Ciera and Cutlass names even though only blue hairs owned them. This was at the same time that they attempted to change the image. It doesn't work both ways. Buick will be in the same boat soon as I don't see aging baby boomers switching to Buick just because they're 60.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    After reading that CNN article all I can say is, how does some clown like Ron Zarella (a) get and (b) keep a job like he has given that he obviously has no clue?
    How sad. GM (and Olds) being ridden into the ground by a bunch of morons.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    I have to agree with the comments of GM brass in the CNN artical. It doesn't make any sense to ship current Olds products to other divisions, if you buy into their "brand" strategy. Neither the Alero or Aurora fit Chevy (as rumored), Buick is getting it Mini van/Sport Ute combo and Cadillac has a Stigma plaform based crossover due in '03. The market segments voided by killing Olds may be filled in the future by new products from other divisions based on one of the new corporate platforms. Saturnfans.com has reported that Saturn is likely to have a mid-size coupe when the new LS debuts on the Epsillon platform. Such a car would effectively replace the Alero within the corporate portfollio. Also, note that Pontiac appears to be toning down the overdone styling (i.e., cladding) as evidenced by their current concepts.

Regarding the G-Body cars, rumours about the Super-Epsillon based "Banner" model suggests that Bonneville may be replaced by a "sportwagon" ala Audi All-Road. The Park Ave is also supposed to die to be replaced by a model simiar to the LaCrosse concept.
  • Options
    Next fall the new 360 SUV lineup will get a V-8 with a stretched wheelbase. It may not be included in the Olds Bravada series due to the demise of the AARP nametag..

It will be on the Chevy and GMC counterpart.. I should know by Friday night the approx V-8 size or maybe better someone in the forum can help??

Since the I-6 is 270 hp; the V-8 will surely have additional pizzazz!!!!
  • Options
    tpken : I don't think Bonneville's death has been finalized, but I have read several times that it is on the chopping block. Sales aren't what they were suppose to be. It's too bad because it is a pretty nice car, especially the SE.

Olds future : While Oldsmobile is dead and the official line is the cars die with the division, I don't buy it for a second. GM is keeping that line to keep the dealers off it's back. I have read several articles where GM execs have said off record that a couple of models may be saved. I totally buy this story as it makes a lot of sense. One thing is for sure, Intrigue is a goner. SAD!
  • Options
    shadowmonkeyshadowmonkey Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 Intrigue, GX model, and have been getting gas mileage that seems to be less than everyone else seems to be reporting. The fuel tank has 16 gallons, supposedly, and if I let the tank run almost all the way down, it's about 220-260 trip miles for the tank (with a couple of gallons left in the tank) This figures out to about 15-16 mpg. This is all city driving, though. When I take the car across Florida (I75 and alligator alley), I average about 400+ miles for the tank... So, the highway mileage is just fine.... but, the city seems horrible.. Granted, it is a V6, but, might there be something wrong? Is there something I can do to up my mileage in-city, or should I mention it to my dealer?
  • Options
    grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    dindak: I've also read that the Bonneville will get the axe. Don't know why, as it's a viable and very well-known nameplate that fits in well with the GM lineup.

There was an interesting Jerry Flint article in this week's Forbes magazine (which can be accessed at www.forbes.com under the "columnists" heading). Apparently, several high-level GM executives confided that the real reason behind the decision to kill Olds stems from GM's need for a tax writeoff! The Hughes subsidiary made a large profit on the sale of a satellite; the loss on closing out Olds will enable GM to take a tax writeoff to counterbalance that profit. Another GM executive denied it, but you do have to wonder. Is it really so far-fetched to imagine that the beancounters running GM would kill off the industry's oldest nameplate for the tax benefits? It's becoming painfully obvious that GM's top management has absolutely no feel for the automobile market. They would be just as happy making fountain pens, dishwashers or detergent; all they care about is pushing up the stock price.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have a Bonneville with about the same 3.8 engine as the Intrigue, and I get about 16 mpg in the city. It's normal for a car of this size with an engine of this size. The 3.5 is about the same economy wise from what I have read in this post.
  • Options
    Well, despite all the doom and gloom, I still may cash in and buy one last new Olds this summer when my lease is up. I still like their cars and I've got a certificate worth $1500 off an Olds. If I buy a new car, the Intrigue is about the most I can afford right now. I'd love a new Caddy or Aurora, but just don't want to swing that just yet. So from the price point that I'm shopping, the Intrigue is the best of the lot. The Regal GS would be tempting and if Buick were to offer a low finance rate on it, I might be tempted. The Grand Prix seems to be aging and as someone previously mentioned, Pontiac has actually deleted some features it used to have. So it's probably either a new Intrigue or a used Aurora or Cadillac. I've been seeing some bargains on low mileage 98 Auroras in the Aurora forum so that might be an option. The Olds loyalty certificate is good until 12/31/05 so who knows, I could hold on to it and use it on a new Caddy or a Bonneville SSEi in 4 or 5 years. The clincher will be the financing. If Olds is running the 0.9% for 60 months, then I will almost certainly do another Intrigue. As for Olds models going to other brands, I sort of figured GM would not do that. Hopefully the engineering and features of Oldsmobiles will find their way into other GM cars though.
  • Options
    I'm with you, I just don't get Asian cars. They sound tinny(you certainly won't hear a Camry or Accord road like an Intrigue with the 3.5 does), look like the box they came in, and are a dime a dozen. Its sad to think that big V8 powered cars may die someday. I love a V8 and generally perfer larger cars. I get so tied of euro and asian trends that make their ways here. Funny though, Lexus and Infiniti developed V8s for their luxury cars BEFORE entering the US market and Acura is planning a V8 powered sedan so that they will actually be seen as a major player in the luxury segment. Let us know when you get info on the V8 in the new SUVs. With 270 hp from the inline six already, I'd say the V8 will be a hummer. Will the 6.0 liter V8 fit in those vehicles? Tax day is drawing closer. Kind of makes you feel warm and fuzzy knowing we're paying for slick willie's new luxury offices. Wonder what he drives these days.
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    Hey everyone. I just drove home tonight... it's very cold... in the 20s and guess what? My alternator/lights/blower problem happens again... as bad as it has ever been. I've already had the alternator replaced. OOOOH! This is so frustrating. Does anyone know what I should do from this point on? I don't want to keep replacing the alternators until I know that it'll be RIGHT? Didn't someone mention they were supposed to come up with a new one that corrected the flaw? I'm seriously so upset right now about this. And with Olds demise, I wanna take the car and shove it off the cliff! GRRRRRR! (2000 Intrigue).
  • Options
    Don't be too upset about the gas mileage. Remeber the EPA rating isn't really accurate. City driving in a real *city* isn't the same as stop-n-go in the suburbs. In the city, it's more stop than go. And I know for myself, I sometimes enter the stop light derby. Having your foot on the brake also reduces fuel economy. Unfortunately when you're sitting at a light there's nothing you can do about it. If you were getting horrible numbers in the city AND the highway, then I'd be worried.

I have the same issue with my 3800 engine. It's supposed to get economy like a 4 banger but I don't get that in the city. Although I must admit, as the miles build up, economy has improved.
  • Options
    Oldsmobile's tax write off benefits as a reason to kill the division aren't all that far fetched, though I doubt they were the only reason. I am a financial consultant and when we sell stocks for profit, we always sell losers to offset some of the gains. I guess Oldsmobile was the looser in the bunch in terms of slow sales. It's too bad because the had the best lineup at GM and probably a top three lineup industry wide.
  • Options
    What a great deal that '98 E-Bay Aurora was - you ought to keep your eyes peeled there and find one like that and save your GM coupon for the next car after that. I'm happy with my Bonneville SE for 2 or 3 years but I'll sure be watching E-Bay for those 2001 and 2002 Auroras to show up there - can't beat that kind of luxury for $15K. My guess is that Auroras (and Intrigues) will become very common items there.

Ken
  • Options
    etharmon::::::Willie has the pickup truck with the astroturf as the bedliner for his extra outdoor activities..The whole bunch is corrupt and seem to love the spotlight..Wonder who does Willies taxes????

I was amused at Edmunds comment on the Intrigue's body, creaky at best!!

The Big 3 are really struggling right now with Chrysler really sucking gas, GM will probably start running short of funds within 12 months and Ford could be on the short end in 18 mos.. It is my understanding that the 5/60 warranty deal runs through 5/30/01; anybody know?

shadowmonkey:::::::Having spent time in that southeast tip of Fla during high season for 12yrs; I know city driving is a bear and the stoplights are forever red..This year I noticed the gas in Palm Beach County seemed to run straight thru the Caddy--like diarrhea--and performance was sluggish with the highest price per gal.. I did the Alley trip 3 times in Dec and Jan.. The restroom facilities are great--Ha-Ha..

My 3.5 gets excellent mileage up North whether winter or summer doesn't seem to affect it too much. I have had the 400 mile tanks and the last 30 miles are somewhat anxious with the stretch bit at the end; gas stations are not located in the right areas at times..
  • Options
    From the The Providence Journal

Since General Motors announced in December that it planned to stop making the 103-year-old Oldsmobile, local sales of the automobile have gone up, according to area dealers.

So GM's announcement this week that the decision to kill the brand is irreversible may spur more sales, said representatives of three area Oldsmobile dealership yesterday.

"We've run out of Auroras twice, once with Intrigues and we're low on Aleros right now, because of all the sales incentives GM has put in place," said Spencer Seitz, general manager of Banner Oldsmobile Buick GMC Truck of South Kingstown."It was always a good product, but now it's selling better than it ever did."

Lower prices, low-cost financing, rebates and long-term warranties have persuaded many buyers to stick with Olds or buy their first one, despite the brand's eventual demise, said Al Cerrone, owner of Cerrone Oldsmobile, in Warwick, and Cerrone Oldsmobile and GMC Truck, in Attleboro.