Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    had my oil changed at 3,500 miles..yes was in the $44 neighborhood..well worth it!
    observation:the fact that so few c's have hit our shores so far...the % of 1st model yr glitches may seem disproportionately high,albiet minor .also... high in comparison to competitors like bmw...who has had the time to work through whatever glitches(if any) their models may have had early on,and are shipping many times the quantity of autos to the usa
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    My Range Rover used to have squeaky brakes occaisionally, the independent repair garage I used to take it to gave me some excellent advice that worked every time. This garage also worked on our Audi, BMW and Mercedes, extremely knowlegable. The technician said that european cars have excellent brakes that are designed for high speed driving - here in america we rarely use the performance potential of our brakes so dirt and dust can build up, glazing the pads causing squealing.
    He recommended that I stop hard at least once a month, so I got in the habit of getting the car up to 60 or so and (if no one is behind me) I'll hit the brakes hard, almost a panic stop. It works great and according to the tech your car's brakes will work better because of it. I have never heard a squeal in any of my cars since.
    If your brakes are squealing try a couple of hard stops - that should take care of it.
  • Options
    letedeletede Member Posts: 7
    I monitor this board all the time and have posted some information from time to time. I own a 99, 230 and live in the Northeast.... Yes, no matter what some report you do need snow tires and I also have two 50 lbs. . bags of sand in the trunk, we just had a foot of snow.... NO PROBLEM.... Brake squeal.... all the time, thicker softer pads on the MB cause a lot of brake dust.... live with it... one way to relieve it is to wash out the dust with a hose when you wash your car that's what I do and again NO PROBLEM.
  • Options
    jgordonjgordon Member Posts: 1
    Picked up our C240 yesterday and am really impressed with this car. It was worth the three-month wait. Traded in a 1998 C230, and a world of difference in the 240.
  • Options
    mcalandra1mcalandra1 Member Posts: 1
    a new 2000 C280 with the Special Edition package. My 92 300D needed $2,000 worth of repair work and the MB dealer offered me $14,000 for it as is. I thought that was a good trade offer as I have (had) 148,000 miles on it. I didn't bother driving the 240 or 320 as my dealer indicated that it was a 90-120 day wait for either, unless I was willing to buy a test car (which I wasn't).

The 280 was a tad over $36,000. Given the liberal trade value I received, I am pretty happy. Any comments on the 280?
  • Options
    doomday9999doomday9999 Member Posts: 4
    What do you all think about buying a test car?
  • Options
    danbgopdanbgop Member Posts: 1
    I am really disapointed in the new C-Class. Audi has really stepped up their lineup, BMW remains the Gold-Standard, and Mercedes just does not seem to have come along for the ride. I guess they have "Chryslerized" their cars.
  • Options
    enjoy your car... which ever one you get, theyre all great choices!
  • Options
    mrdietmrdiet Member Posts: 16
    Congrats on your new car. Besides the new gadgets, what do you find to be the improvements from your old C230 to your new C240? Thanks.
  • Options
    4murphy4murphy Member Posts: 20
    I sent a letter to the folks at the MB Client Assistance Center last week informing them of my problems with squealing brakes. I am waiting to hear from them. According to procedures of the Michigan Auto Lemon Law, I must first notify MB in writing regarding problems that I am having with my auto. They are then given the opportunity to fix the problem. If they can't fix the problem, I then must follow state procedures to have them replace the car or give me my money back.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have a C-class without squealing brakes, you just don't know how good you have it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I will be putting a sign on my car and leaving it in the parking garage at the International Auto Show in Detroit for a week in January. Maybe I will eventually get MBs attention. I didn't spend $37,000 to just live with squealing brakes!

I wish that I were writing about how well the car handles and how safe it feels, but the damn brakes are so incredibly irritating that I forget all the good things about the car.
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Great idea to buy a leftover 2000. I too chose to buy the last model C and have no regrets since I got a great deal on it. $36k seems on the high side. What level of equipment did yours come with?
  • Options
    id be pissed if i were you too!! im sure when ya get the brake squeal cleared up.. you ll enjoy the car..obviously whatever salesman is telling you and others to brake differently is full of it!i brake as i please.. soft hard and inbetween and theres no squeal at all..good luck. hope its cleared up soon@
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    To all MB owners and fans! Wishing everyone a prosperous and happy 2001!

Drew
    Host of Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    frostysfrostys Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at the C320, 325xi, and A4 Quattro and even though I like the C320's quiet ride and looks the best, I have to rule it out because it doesn't have all wheel drive like the 325xi and A4. I live in NH where I get a ton of snow in the winter and the C320 just doesn't grip the road as well as the other cars. Why isn't there an AWD version? If they're going to compete against BMW, they NEED AWD.
  • Options
    bradfordl1bradfordl1 Member Posts: 18
    I will be interested in how you make out...... frankly, this brake problem and how MB deals with it is going to determine whether or not I buy the MB or another comparable vehicle. There is no way I will lay out that money for a high-end car with such an obvious, annoying, and unescessary problem!
  • Options
    vdepotvdepot Member Posts: 1
    order my C320 a while ago and should be here in the next week or so. Never test drived it as my 190E never had any problems (big ones). Now with all the talk about sqeaky breaks, that worries me a bit. A 36K car should not have sqeaky brakes.
    I will have to go to talk to my dealer before signing the papers.
    Will monitor this board for further developments.
    thanks guys (gals)
  • Options
    The 4-matic C-class sedans and wagons are coming soon...they're still in the works right now; I believe they will be out in Germany by January 2002 (the S-class 4-matic will also be out at the same time). However, my contact at MB Canada says that they probably won't arrive here till fall of 2002. I certainly hope that he is wrong because this is way too long. With the debut of the BMW 3-series AWD sedans for MY2K, I bet the launch dates may be pushed forward...at least that's what I'm hoping.

Tarik do you have any info on this?

Drew
  • Options
    bradfordl1bradfordl1 Member Posts: 18
    If people from MB monitor boards such as these, then a real smart move would be for them to at least acknowledge that they are aware of the problem AND let us all know that MB WILL correct it soon. Seems like the best sales strategy to me......
  • Options
    AFAIK, no one from MB monitors these message boards so don't hold your breath. If there is indeed a problem, they are probably already aware of the issue since the '01 C-class made its debut in Europe several months before North America. So far, the best advice I've heard (someone posted earlier) is to make a really hard stop once in a while so that the pads are deglazed. The squeaking when cold is completely normal, BTW. It should go away when the brakes are warmed up though.

Drew
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Hi and happy new year to all THers!

I just checked, but there is no information other than Drew's concerning the release of the 4-matic version of the C-Class. I will contact my salesman in Deutschland, may be he knows (and is willing to share) more about MB's plans. Brake sqeal is not unusual, but the scope of your encounters leads me to believe that this is OUT OF THE ORDINARY! Let me check and get back with you soon.

Tarik
  • Options
    tomsky3tomsky3 Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone know how I can turn off the radio (or CD) while the navigation system is on? I know I could press the mute button, which will shut the sound off. That works temporarily, but sometimes when I inadvertantly hit the volume "+" symbol on the steering wheel with my thumb, all of a sudden, the radio comes on.

The COMAND manual says that you should press the AM/FM button, but I found that it simply toggles between AM and FM.

Jack
  • Options
    robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Wanted to pass along an update on this issue. My dealer removed the brake pads on all 4 wheels and sanded the glaze from them, as well as cleaning the assemblys. This was done at 228 miles and at least for now all is quiet.I'm using Lexus as the bench mark and just hope that this is the end of the noisy sqeally brakes

Interestingly I posted an email to the MB website to communicate this issue on 12/26/00 and still have not heard from them.

This is a great car and for 45 grand it should be.

By the way, does anyone know if the coolant temp gauge can be programmed from the centigrade scale to Farenhight? (This is not the outside temp/speedo setting I am asking about)

Regards to all
  • Options
    i think temp guage can be programmed to centigrade...pretty sure i saw it on the menu.
  • Options
    kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Both side front doors seem to have a noise at the time of rolling windows up or down. Have you had this problem---it almost sounds like some tool ot screws were left in the doors?
    direct: kelfg@aol.com
  • Options
    frostysfrostys Member Posts: 3
    No AWD until 2002??? MB is going to wait two years while the competition has AWD? It looks like I'm going to go put the down payment on the BMW 325xi this weekend. I'm not going to pay $40k for the C320 and lug a 50 lb bag of sand in my trunk so that I don't slide off the road during a snow storm.
  • Options
    I can certainly understand your frustration. I know full well the merits of AWD as I used to own a '96 A4. Fabulous car! I currently have a 2000 C280 and believe it or not, it handles the snow pretty darn well! With ESP and traction control and blizzaks this baby almost feels like AWD. I would not venture into extremely deep snow but I enjoy a great car without the complexity of AWD. If you absolutely MUST have AWD, the Bimmer would be a great choice. Also, the S4 Avant is a really great car too if you need a wagon and when you look at the price compared to an optioned C320 it appears to be a bargain! You also have to justify the need for AWD too. How often does it snow by you? Here on Long Island, the last five years have been mild until just last week when we got nearly a foot and a half of snow! Good luck!!!
  • Options
    They're not exactly "waiting for 2 years". The 3rd generation 4-matic system has been in development for a while now. The earliest that it will show is end of this year, early next year. Definitely not before then. As I mentioned, my MB Canada source says that the tentative launch dates for the C240 4-matic, C320 4-matic, and C320 4-matic wagon won't be till fall of 2002. Perhaps MB decide to launch it as a late availability MY2002 option. I'm just as frustrated as you are as to this delay, but fortunately, I currently don't need a new vehicle (my '00 ML320 is just about a year old) right now, and I'd rather that they get it right.

Good luck with the 325xi!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    though i havent had any problem with noise in raising or lowering windows,this past weekend the express up(only) on drivers side stopped working.. i can still raise and lower widow though.. will have it taken care of when i change oil... in about 1500 miles..made it through snow storm this past weekend in nj with few problems... no i didnt go out driving in the blinding snow just to see if it handles like a 4x4,but day following..very slick snow-filled streets..the 240 did very well..no sandbags in trunk
  • Options
    twofourtwofour Member Posts: 6
    I have placed my order for a 6 speed C240 and now I wait. Have read a few postings regarding snow traction. Curious as to any experience with the 15" just dumped on the NT Metro area. I plan (assuming my car arrives this winter) to install Blizzacks or equivelent and wonder about studding-what is MBUSA's official policy on this. Does the traction control and stability control do the job. A friend at work just took delivery of a Lexus I30 and said the car just stops moving when accelerating on the white stuff (standard tires). I have no problem tossing 2 50lb bags of whatever into the trunk. Despite FWD advantage the best snow car I ever had was a '61 Triumph TR-3 with full tire chains. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    stephensasstephensas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 C230. Several times over the last couple of years the car didn't want to start after having been driven a few miles and turned off. I would try to start it a few minutes later and it would not turn over. It was almost like it was flooded. After several minutes, it would finally start. I drove my car on Monday this week and then got up Tuesday morning to go to work and it wouldn't start. When I turned the key it would almost sound like the starter was stuck and just keep grinding. Also the key would be kind of stuck to the right and not be flipping back after starting. I would have to manually turn it back to the left to stop it. After three attempts I decided to call the dealer. The odor was kind of alarming too. The car still wouldn't start after the tow truck came so they put it on a flat bed and towed it off. The dealer said it started up when they got it but it was a little hesitant but thereafter started normally. The onboard computer doesn't register anything either. Has anyone else out there had similar problems?
  • Options
    portlanderportlander Member Posts: 6
    I took delivery of a 6 speed Silver/Ash C240 on Saturday, Dec 30. I drove the car home, parked it in the garage till Tuesday when I drove the car to work and back without problem. I had about an hour total time in the car since delivery. Tuesday night when I tried to show my wife how to work the CD changer, the car would not start properly. Instead, when she turned the ignition key, the engine would race up and down and then quit. Warning signals came on and said something about visit shop immediately. I called the service dept the next morning and had the car towed. It turned out that the engine air intake control valve was not secured properly leading to a vacuum leak and no throttle control. A small problem to fix but it wasted a whole day of my time. Overall, the service was OK. It took the tow truck 3 hours to come to my house. While the car was being fixed, they got me a rental car, C230. The service guy told me that I didn't make a new record, the worst he had was major engine oil leak when they pulled the car out for delivery (not the new C).

So far, I drove about a total of 60 miles. The best mpg is 22 with mixed city and freeway driving. The car drives great and very stable even in the rain. Since it's a new car, it gets a lot of attention on the road. Many drivers would tailgate or drive right next to me to get a closer look. I thought that was a bit annoying if not dangerous. I've been driving stick shift cars my whole life. I feel very comfortable going up and down steep hills in stop and go traffic. With the extra gear and closer gear ratio, I find myself constantly shifting gears to the point that I wish I ordered the automatic instead. Maybe I am too old (30+) for this shifting gears stuff. I'll probably get used to it in a few weeks. For the kind of driving that I do, the power of the car is more than adequate.

The overall build quality of car is good. I do see a few other parts used in the old C being used in the new C despite Mercedes said the only thing they reuse was the wheel nuts. Cars that I looked at before deciding on the new C were BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Volvo S40, Honda Accord, Civic, Toyota Prius, Echo, Corolla, Lexus IS300, ES300, Acura TL, Volkswagen Passat. Cars that I almost bought were BMW 3 series and Lexus IS300. Personally, I like the new C the best. It could be the name that cast the spell. But I didn't tell my parents, brother and sisters, inlaws, coworkers, friends, and even my own son about the car (my son was surprised when we went to pick up the car), so I really don't know how to rationalize my decision. I told my wife it's my mid-life crisis but she didn't buy the idea.

Thanks to all those who posted their messages here. I learned many things from reading all the postings.
  • Options
    as one of the seemingly few c owners thats had relativly few problems with my 240.. i was wondering ifu would comment as to whether you thought that your early problem with your c constituted ,for you, a betrayal by mb.. that the car is inferior or in any way below your expectations?.. for me.. even with several minor problems that were quickly solved.. im very happy with my car.. and yes... lots of neck turning to see it... there are MANY MANY bmws on the road.. and not many c's at all
  • Options
    w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    It's been some time since I posted last. I orginally was schedule to get a C320 end of Dec-first Jan. I had a terrible experience with the salesman and it was to the point of me not buying the car. The final straw that broke the back happened, and I canceled my order. I was not going to give this salesman 1 cent in commissions. It is a long story, but basically he did nothing except write the order up and take me for a test drive. All other questions and more test driving were done from another Salesman, (which I liked tremendiously)The new salesman didn't want to step on this guys toes so they asked me to see him for the final write up to order the car. Got my $500.00 credit this month. I went to another dealer 30 miles away from me and place an order. I was not going to help the first Salesman in any way to get a commission. It's not that big of a deal as long as I can swing by on my way home from work to do any service, since they provide a loaner car. It would have been nice to deal with the local dealer,3 miles from where I live. I plan to write BB when I get the car. I have been told there is a questionaire every new owner fills out that is directly tied to their salaries. Hope this is true.
    I am suppose to get my C320 in February. I am hoping, as I was told before, that there are people not taking delivery of the cars when they come it. With the stock market doing badly , I was told there are a lot of cancellations when the cars come in. I live in Atlanta, a.
    I ordered a White C320 with lava interior.
  • Options
    vt2vt2 Member Posts: 4
    I am making a decision between the BMW 325xi and the C240. I was wondering what experiences current owners of the C240 have had driving in snow or ice. I have been told that the stability and traction control in the C240 compensated some what for not having the AWD feature....since MB does not offer AWD in the C class quite yet, if anyone could offer me some advice as to whether I should just go for the C240 or stick with getting the Bimmer. I live in the DC metro area, we dont get that much snow, but would still like to know how the MB handles such driving conditions.

Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    portlanderportlander Member Posts: 6
    Believe it or not, this is the third time that I had to return a new car for service a few days after taking it home. So I just laugh about it and ask the service rep if I hold the new record for returning the car for service right after taking delivery.

My overall experience is positive so far. Other than the small assembly problem, I have no other problems at this point. All the people, receptionist, finance, sales people, and service consultants from the dealership treated me with respect and courtesy. I really can't complain too much.

Compared to my shopping experience at other dealerships, Mercedes is definitely the best in town. At one of the BMW dealerships I visited, they didn't even let me test drive the car. They gave me the price list and told me if I wanted to buy one I had to wait. I did get a testdrive from another dealership. My wife would not let me buy a Volvo because no one greeted us at all for the entire hour we spent inside the showroom. We were sitting inside every single car in there and the sales people just walked by us. Finally when we asked the receptionist for a brochure, she reluctantly gave us one. The first time when we went to an Audi dealership, they were closing and would not talk to us. I went back the second time by myself. I was looking at the cars both inside and outside the showroom for half an hour, no one would talk to me. Finally, I saw a salesman showing an A4 to other people; I walked up to the car hoping to see the inside since all the cars were locked. As I was near the car, the salesman closed the door, locked the car with the remote while I was standing right next to the car, and walked away without saying a single word. I thought he was going to call security to remove me from the lot. Unless an Audi car is a must for life and death situations, I'll probably never consider an Audi again. The Mercedes people on the other hand were very nice to my family. On entry to the showroom, the receptionist stood up and greeted us with a smile and asked if she could help. The sales people shook our hands. My children were given gift packages (coloring books, pencils, and candy of course). We were offered Italian soda, etc. Before I even asked for a testdrive, they brought out the car that I was looking at and asked if I would like to testdrive the car. I know this sounds like I'm the poster boy for Mercedes. To be honest, I'm not a car enthusiast, I can't tell the minute handling differences among cars that are in the same segment. But good service is what I can tell right away.

I don't feel betrayed by MB. I was promised good service by the salesman not a perfect car. The new C is a complex machine and things will go wrong. As long as they take care of the problems in a professional and courteous manner, I have no problem with that. Things I like are: the seats, the audio system, the quiet and firm ride, and the ability to make very smooth turns.
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback... i think due to the small supply of c's.. any glitches seem to be magnified out of porportion... and some people may be getting a somewhat distored picture
    incidentally.. when the 1st c;s arrived at my dealer in oct.. i was invited to a buffet brunch for new c owners with cars on order to see and sit in the new car... very chi chi with champagne!
    enjoy your car!
  • Options
    dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    We are more than satisfied with our C240. We had one very minor problem, trunk wouldn't open, which was quickly rectified and we were given a 2000 ML320 to drive for day while it was taken care of. I'd say that so far the car has lived up to, or surpassed our expectations. I agree with you on all the looks the car gets and the comment about all the 3 series cars we see. The rear of the 3 sure looks like the new civic doesn't it? If I were a 3 driver I'd be a bit miffed by that design. One thing I get that I didn't expect is that people seem to think it's a $50k or more car, it's probably the fact that you see so few of them and they really do look a lot like the S class. That's the car I'd love to have, an S55!!!
  • Options
    vt2vt2 Member Posts: 4
    I am making a decision between the BMW 325xi and the C240. I was wondering what experiences current owners of the C240 have had driving in snow or ice. I have been told that the stability and traction control in the C240 compensated some what for not having the AWD feature....since MB does not offer AWD in the C class quite yet, if anyone could offer me some advice as to whether I should just go for the C240 or stick with getting the Bimmer. I live in the DC metro area, we dont get that much snow, but would still like to know how the MB handles such driving conditions.

Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    twofourtwofour Member Posts: 6
    To anyone with an '01 240/320 please tell me what the owner's manual says about the use of studded snow tires and /or tire chains. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    pszilagyipszilagyi Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new C320 (silver/ash, C2, C4, premium leather, DC, multicontour seats) 2 weeks ago - I love it. It is made extremely well. I have about 500 miles on it, and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. The breaks do squeak for about 15 or 20 minutes when it's really cold, and then they are fine. I live in the Detroit area, so it's been very cold, thus putting my breaks to the test.

I've not been in any real big snow yet, but it seems to hold the road reasonably well on the snowy roads I've been on (I do have two 60 lb. bags of tube-sand in the trunk). A friend that just bought an S-type Jaguar is having a very rough time with the same road conditions that I am getting through with little difficulty (just driving slower than I did with the front wheel drive car that I had); he also has sand in his trunk.

The car is a little smaller inside than I remembered from my test drives (4 or 5 of them), but it is a very personal driving experience that I'm enjoying. I can't wait for better weather to more fully enjoy what the car has to offer.

Just like most of you, I tried BMW, Volvo, Saab, Jaguar, Lexus, Audi & Acura - but MB was the best for my personal taste. I liked the way the dealership treated me, I like the confidence that friends have in the product (4 current owners of MB products), and I like the car. When I sat it one for the first time, I knew it was right for me.

Thank you all for your comments. I hope you enjoy your cars as much as I do.
  • Options
    The C should handle fine with a set of blizzaks and ESP and traction control. It's a waste to spend your money on AWD for the small amount of snow we get in the NY metro area.

Oh.. Zmeenow.... those new C's are rolling off faster than Bimmers... pretty soon you're gonna see yourself coming and going.... just proof that MB has hit a home run!!
  • Options
    spndxspndx Member Posts: 36
    I've been scanning this message board for the last several days and have seen everything discussed except what I have been REALLY wondering about: European Delivery. Has anyone done the Euro Delivery? I'm picking up my 6 spd (when in Germany...) C240 in Sindlefingen in March and am curious as to others' experience. Did MB deliver as promised? How did they handle dealer-installed stuff? How long did it take to get your car to the U.S. after dropping it off in Deutschland? Any comments would be appreciated. I'm psyched about spending a week buzzing up and down the Autobahn with my new V6 under the hood (Great forum going here - and what is up with the whole 'trunk thing' anyway??)
  • Options
    dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    If you're refering to my post, the trunk suddenly wouldn't open when the car was about 3 weeks old. I haven't heard of anybody else having the problem so I don't think it's an issue. Dealer never really did explain what caused it, they thought we had simply put it in valet mode, which it may have been when we brought it in. BUT we had never even inserted the key into the trunk until it didn't open, so neither they nor I ever really figured out why it wouldn't open. All I know is it opened when we got it back and it has worked perfectly since.
  • Options
    ltedescoltedesco Member Posts: 5
    Here in Ct you can get a lot of snow and we have our share of hills. The first year no snow tires and the car was all over the road.. almost put it up for sale in the spring. Second year (2000-2001) we had 4 snow tires installed and at the recommendation of the tire store "put 2 50.lb. bags of sand over each wheel and you will never have a problem.... that's what we did... Last weeks snow storm 14" the car was great not one problem and it was pretty deep in certain area's around town.... My advise also comes from 32 yr. of driving fire equipment cars and trucks snow tires and sand bags are the answer.
  • Options
    when i 1st got the car(c240) i thought the trunk had a problem.then noticed that i needed to hold down release button longer than i thought... try that.
    i havent quite gotten the knack of the remote opening and closing of the moon roof and windows.. i may not have the remote programmed correctly..but its jan.. and snowing ..so no biggie right now..
    re:snow..i did take my car out the morning after the storm in nj... the roads were snowy.. but plowed..i feel that the esp does a fairly good job of keeping the car stable and straight.i have no sand in trunk.. and.. just for the heck of it i turned OFF the esp to see what the car might do without it... FORGET ABOUT IT!.. it works.. and works well!..as to whether its better than a bmw in the snow? i dunno....
  • Options
    just in case.. id be interested inwhat tires some of you might reccommend as quality snow tires for the 240
  • Options
    jjsanijjsani Member Posts: 14
    I've had my new 2001 C320 for 2 weeks now and was glad to see this site that talks about some of the problems and positive things owners experienced. Unfortunately, I did and still experience some of the problems listed. I did have the problem with the trunk not opening, but got by that by just pushing down on the trunk, tried to open it and it worked. I'm still experiencing the problem with the brakes that squeal. If it doesn't go away, I'll make a visit to the dealer.

One thing I'm experiencing, not sure if it's a problem or just the nature of the driver's seat.
    but, when I go over bumby or hilly road the seat seems to dip a bit in the lumbar section of the seat, kind of like the seat just pops down then up. Has anyone experienced this..
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I've posted much info about this on the old forum boards, and there is a side of me that doesn't want to write all of that again...still, I'll take another crack at it when I have time to do a proper job of it, which is not now...sometime in the next couple of days.

I'll cut to the chase for you on a couple of the questions, though: I think you'll find the overall experience truly memorable, and they work hard to take care of you well at the Delivery Center. Be sure to take the factory tour, and visit the D-B museum at corp hq in Stuttgart. Return times to the USA are the same for any car produced in Germany - 2-6 weeks from dropoff, depending on how close you hit the next ship's scheduled departure, and where you live in the US.

I'll do the long version of the EU delivery tutorial some time in the next few days.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    zmeenow:

I don't have a C, I own an E and I have Nokian (Nokia cell phone company) snow tires. The tire store recommended them over the Blizzaks because of longevity. He claimed that he has never seen Blizzaks last beyond 15-20K miles. I already have 15K on the Nokians and they aren't even showing any wear. And they work just fine with their unique curved vee tread that is supposed to be more stable on corners.
  • Options
    I strongly recommend the Michelin Arctic Alpins. These tires have performed extremely well in tests, and don't wear quite as quickly as the Blizzaks. Not only this, but they handle better too on dry/wet roads (albeit with a little loss of snow performance) since they're not as soft as the Blizzaks.

The Blizzaks, especially the original WS-15, is excellent for heavy snow/ice conditions partly due to its soft and sticky tire compound. This same compound is why the tire wears out faster and should be removed immediately after the winter season. I'd even go as far as saying that the Blizzaks perform better than the Nokians. Bridgestone does say that the Blizzaks will last about 20K miles as a winter tire + another 20K miles with snow performance closer (but probably still better) than an all-season tire.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
This discussion has been closed.