Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Bill, alot of us Love our C 240s & 320s !!! Big Time. The residual decreases (from 70 %) the further the car is in Production from last September 2000, which can increase monthly payments. See Photo #12 at Post #2 in Photo Gallery (goto the top of this page and click on MB C-Class Owner's link). Go for the Brilliant Silver C 320 !!! There is also a weekly MB Owner's chat Tuesday evenings 9:00 PM EST. We had 25+ people at it last night, the majority being new C owners.
  • Options
    Here is Page 1: (pages 2 & 3 can be viewed at Photo Gallery - Post #2
    Photopoint Link - See Photos # 38,39 & 40. Click: View Photo Full Size. I know all of the info is not 100 % accurate, if you would like to send updates, please do).
    Kenyee: do you have a 240 or 320 ? etc...

• Options
    michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >Where I live (South Carolina), there is almost >no such thing as driver's ed, and the license >costs you $14.50 without any proof of driver's >ed hours or such. Obviously, people here (and >worse, the legislation, too)

Tarik -- At least, they do not issue licenses to 14-year olds any more and have stopped making their own corn liquor -- that is progress -- :) (Apologies to South Carolina and my many friends who live there! :)

Miki
  • Options
    sandy2020sandy2020 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase a C240. I am considering the voice-activated phone. Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the system?
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    My best friend bought a loaded C320 (one week after I did) and this feature was part of the vehicle. I am not sure if there are two separate voice systems BUT there is a software problem with one of them. About 50% of the time the system will NOT recognize the commands. There IS a fix in the works. When it works, he says it works fine. I am sure if you asked the service advisor at your dealership, they'd know NOTHING about it.
  • Options
    rtigerrtiger Member Posts: 2
    I am scheduled to pick up my C240 (manual) on Saturday, 3/23. Last Monday I asked my sales rep how MB intended to compensate me for the TeleAid feature that did not work (can't unlock car remotely). After checking with his MB rep, he called me today to say, "Good news! There isn't a problem with TeleAid on the 2001 models. It only exists on the 2000 models." From what I've read here, that isn't true. Can anyone comment? Thanks.
  • Options
    From what I understand, there is a problem with 2001 C models built before 1-1-01. Apparently the remote unlock feature does not function on these models. I believe there is a certain way you can tell by the serial number. I never pressed the issue as I have not locked my keys in my car since I was a teenager. If there is ever a fix for this, I'll casually stroll over and get it done. No hurry!! BUT...I can certainly understand wanting to have every bell and whistle you paid for!!
  • Options
    C Class with VIN last 5 digits less than 59000 have the issue with Tele Aid not able to remotely unlock the car. MB is scheduled to have a fix completed in the next month or two. See Post #1329
  • Options
    p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    I am taking delivery of a C320, Charcoal, Silver, Command, Multi-Contour Seat, C2, Lighted side sills, Wood steering wheel, Stock sport 16 inch rims in about a month.

I'm about to Finnish up my course to be a Real Estate Salesperson, hence my purchase of the C320.

To me, this car was the only choice. It is the only car in it's segment that has the luxury items I want. It's absolutely stunning. The price is very reasonable considering all the luxury items that pamper you on a daily basis. I think this is the perfect car to put 20+k miles a year on.

The BMW is just to common and I don't like the way the 4 door looks.

Take Care all!
    This is a great forum!!!!

James
    Palm Beach Florida
  • Options
    vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Could someone please let me know what
    is the exact Mercedes Dealer Part number
    for Illuminated Door Sills for 2001 E430 is?

Is there a different part number if you order
    for front two doors or for four doors on E430?

I really appreciate you help...

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I see at the top of this page that it says Thursdays 6-7!!!! Is this in addition to the Tuesday chat or replacing the Tuesday time slot? Maybe the crowds have won us another chat???? I hope so!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Sorry, no, it's a typo. It should be Tuesday :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    What is this option? I don't see it in the brochure. What lights up? Also, does this car have puddle lights, lights that shine down on the ground when you swing the doors open?
  • Options
    The guy's talking about the lights in the door jams, where it says Mercedes Benz, the letters light up. It's pretty expensive, I believe nearly $500 at clair parts, plus they need to be installed by a service tech from what I've heard. I bet you'd be out $700-800 by the time they were installed. They're definitely cool, but decorative only and no real function, but maybe I'm totally wrong LOL!
  • Options
    How about C-ing if Dana will just go ahead and give us the Thursday time slot as well!!!
  • Options
    michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    I love my C320 -- it drives like no other car! It accelerates in a split second and you are flying. You do not feel the speed -- even when flying!

Miki
  • Options
    sjsubumsjsubum Member Posts: 6
    Hello All,

Sorry about the double post... Spell check problem.

I picked up my Black/Java C240 on February 20. I love this car. Everything about the car meets or exceeds my expectations. However, there is a problem with the Tele Aid... A few days after I picked up the car, I decided to activate my Tele Aid Service. The operator had me at a different location than where I was (off by about 8 miles). I took the car back to the dealer, and they confirmed the problem. They order the necessary part and replaced it, but still had a problem with the "calibration", but finally got it fixed. On the same day, I message center indicated that there was 1 malfunction Tele Aid. Visit the Workshop, etc... I checked with the Tele Aid Operator again, and Again my actual location was still off by about 10 miles I am schedule to take the car back next week.

Please let me know if you had a similar problem. The Tele is not a big deal to me, but since it is a standard feature, I would like to see it function properly.

I have one other question... I am considering getting a set of replica 16" AMG rims (16x7.5)with Yomohama AVS dB (225-50-16 ZR). These ultra high performance tires are supposed to be quiet and comfortable. If anyone had experience with any replica AMG rims or these tires, please share it with me.

Thank You in advance for your input.
  • Options
    If I were going aftermarked wheels I'd go, and I plan to, 17" and with real AMG wheels. Look for some used CLK430 or E class sport wheels on ebay. Have you checked out tirerack.com? I believe they have the best prices on AMG and other brand MB wheels, they frequently have specials. If not AMG, go with an entirely different wheel, don't get fakes. That's just my opinion, if you like them, and they're a great deal go for it. What is the cost for your wheel package? Good luck, and enjoy the C! Oh, I have seen black Cs with the stock wheels chromed, looked awesome, that's always an option.
  • Options
    sjsubumsjsubum Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input. I would love to have the real 17" AMG rims with 245-40-17 tires on the rear. A set of the real 17" AMG rims and tires would cost over $2000. I just can't justify that amount. The set of rims (DB 5-Hole Replica style) with tires that I am considering from discounttiredirect.com costs about $1000 delivered.

I have been keeping an eye on ebay but no luck so far.
  • Options
    lepinlepin Member Posts: 13
    When I was driving my C320 in the highway today, there was a rock hitting my car on the windshield from nowhere. So there's big scratch on my windshield. I took my car to auto glass shop. They told me there's nothing they can do about it. There are 2 choices for me. One is just "leave it there" and the other one is to replace the windshield. I just picked her up on March 7th so this is a real pain for me. Does anyone know how to fix it or even just to make it look better??? Thanks!!!
  • Options
    Check out these chromed MB rims, I think they're new 2001 CLK320 wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=570121177&r=0&t=0
  • Options
    That's really lame!! Same thing happened to us when we got our new crewcab last year, but it was a crack in the windshield of a 1 day old truck, insurance covered it, but we had a $100 ded. Will your insurance cover it? If not, call other glass shops, maybe there's a way to polish the scratch? How big is it? Where on the windshield? When we had the truck's glass replaced all we had to do was turn in the receipt, I bet they'd cover yours if you said it was cracked!! I'm sure a glass shop would write you a receipt for a "cracked" windshield! Good luck! How much is a new windshield?
  • Options
    zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    my 240 got a bad "scuff" in the passengers side of the rear bumper 3 days after i picked my car up(some great driver at my local bank,it seems).. lame does not describe the feeling ...MB wanted $800 for a new bumper..i chose to carefully touch it up.. and polish the heck out of it.so..if ya REALLY look for it..you can see it.like most things in life..nothing stays perfect for long..but 3 DAYS??? UGH!!
  • Options
    lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    Sandy,
    Purchased a C320 with the phone installed in late January. My wife and I really like it. We use voice activation when dialing a number, dialing by name, switching to the radio and CD player and changing CDs and tracks. I notice a about 65 mph, the background noise in the car sometimes causes the recog. system to falter, but overall, it is great and SAFE. You focus on driving and not messing with the phone, Radio or CD player.
  • Options
    kimj1kimj1 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone know the recommendations for children and rear airbags? I know it is not safe for a small child to be in the front seat with an airbag, but what about the rear? Since 99% of the time my only backseat passenger will be a child ( 6 year old), I am concerned about his safety. For a child, will a rear side airbag do more harm than good?

Any info. regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Kim
  • Options
    What you have to do is to make sure that you teach your child not to lean against the rear doors and you should be okay. You should also keep a close eye on him to make sure that this is not happening. The safest place is the rear middle seat position. I recommend placing your child there whenever possible.

The side airbags do more good than any potential harm. If there are no airbags, the hard door structure is what makes contact with the person in a side-impact accident. Ouch!

Hope this helps

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    I am debating whether or not to purchase a C240 or a Lexus ES300. The C240 covers maintenance for the first 4 years. My intent is to keep a car for at least 10 years. Does anyone know how expensive it is to maintain a C class mercedes over the long haul? I may be averaging 20,000 miles per year. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Lexus makes wonderful cars and I should know since I own an RX300. It as 43k miles and has NEVER needed service other than routine maintenance! Ironically, the RX300 is loosely based on the ES chassis which is also the Camry chassis. There is NO comparison between the two cars with respect to driving pleasure. The ES is simply BORING!!!!! If you enjoy your driving, go with the Benz. If your intent is to keep the vehicle for 10 years, go above the Benz maint sched and change oil every 5k instead of the usual 10k that the FSS will demand. If you take care of the Benz, it should give you ten years of trouble free service.
  • Options
    robi40robi40 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a brilliant silver C240 w/ c-1, c-2 and c-3 packages on 11/12/00. My dealer originally said I would have the car by the end of Jan/beginning of Feb. It's now the end of March and still no car. The latest is I should have the car by the end of April. I realize there is a wait but does this seem excessive? I wonder if the dealer is playing games.
  • Options
    sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Get the benz with a 4yr 50K M/B Premium extended warranty. Thus, 8 yrs 100,000 mile warranty. E-mail me and I give give you information on this warranty discounted.
  • Options
    mmc240mmc240 Member Posts: 4
    hi to all who love the Cs.
    got mine for 2 weeks now, runs great, looks great, enjoy it a lot. Just a few problems needed to be taken care of such as the "ticking" sound from the engine and the 11:55 steering wheel. I know somebody here had the same ticking sound problem before, but I didn't see any follow ups. Did you all got it fixed? and what was the problem? thanks
  • Options
    sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    I ordered my Brilliant Silver C240 on 11/10 with c1,2,4,xenon and bose. My sales person told me 6 months. However, my cars actual build date was 2nd decade in March. The car is on a boat now, and I should take delivery before Easter.

I would ask your sales person for your car's build date. Then add 4-6 weeks for delivery.
  • Options
    bootfaybootfay Member Posts: 5
    Hello All -

I've put my deposit down on a C scheduled for delivery in June. Since this is approaching the "end of an auto year" and they will be introducing the 2002 models soon, I was wondering if anyone knew if the 2002 models will have any new features or improvements that should sway me from purchasing the C in June.

In particular, does anyone know if there are any:
    1). Changes to the exterior or interior?
    2). Any fixes for the paint chip problems?
    3). Any change in price?

I figure that if I wait 2 more months until August, the 2002s will be in.
  • Options
    sargent4sargent4 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I have read your replies and also many of the posts and do realize most love this car. I was going to pick up my Brillant Grey on Friday but have changed it to next Tuesday and getting excited. My Gs3oo lease does not run out until April 2 and there is a chance the interest may be lower plus weather awful. I just ordered this car in Mid Feb. so feel lucky. Was on the dealers invoice list and arrived from Germany last week. Did not have all leather so almost said no but see many of you think the fake stuff is fine plus I do love animals. Thanks - this is a great board and I will try to get to the chat room.
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Who even knows if the 2002s will be out in August, it could be December? Does anyone know? I'm waiting for 2002 also, but I doubt there will be any major changes with the car. I'm just hoping they fix up some of the nuisance problems posters are reporting, like the trunk problems and the keys. My biggest hope for a change: a head unit that includes a single CD player, but I'm not optimistic.

I expect a 3-4% price increase, given the demand level for this car.
  • Options
    jayonejayone Member Posts: 25
    Hi, have my 320 for little over two weeks now and love it. Today I experienced the "key" problem that some of you have had. I pressed the button to lock the car and nothing. After reading some of your posts I knew to place the key in and out 10 times. It did work short term, failed again. Was wondering what those of you with this problem are doing or had done to correct this and is their a permanent correction available yet. thanks
  • Options
    wsc240wsc240 Member Posts: 2
    You guys know that the batteries go really fast if you use it a lot. Check that the red light indicator on the key lights up when you press the button. I had to change batteries after one month.
  • Options
    gb16gb16 Member Posts: 12
    Can't decide between lease or purchase.

Dealer called with cancelled order. C240 Silver/charcoal auto with C2. would take $1000 off msrp (but no CD). The 36 month lease payment came out to $460 month. (w/CD). Taxes paid up front.

I can get a 7.5% from work to purchase. Never leased before and undecided. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Dave/Steven,

Thanks for your advice on maintaining a C240 over the long haul. Steven I did not know about the MB extended warranty for 8yrs 100,000 miles. Sounds like a good deal if I can get it for the right price. I will E-mail you for further info. Has anyone else found it worthwhile to purchase the extended warranty?
  • Options
    Is the $460/mnth with 15,000 mi/yr.? That looks like a very good lease rate. Do you plan to put on more than 15K per year ? If so, don't lease.
    Do you want a new car in 3 - 4 years ? If so Lease. Small dings and scratches that are not visible underneath a standard credit card, MBCC does not charge for. There are many good lease vs. buy articles. Edmunds.com/edweb/leasing.html
    Do it yourself guide to leasing. www.leaseguide.com. Also check www.cars.com. Even Bloomberg.com: http://www.bloomberg.com/money/loan/lob.cgi?emplate=loan_lease_calc.ht
  • Options
    w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    I have a C-320. it hauls! I reached 130 with no problem. Got nervous about getting a ticket so backed off. the road flys by at that speed! It road smooth and had no shimmy or vibration. I was very impressed. Anyone gone higher?
  • Options
    I believe the engine cuts out at 130. Not sure about the models with the V rated tires but I would bet they would too. Haven't gone 130 yet... just waiting for the opportunity.
  • Options
    jayonejayone Member Posts: 25
    I called the dealer today regarding the key problem that I have been having(wont work). They told me that there is no fix for this problem yet but they are working on it. I wish they wouldve told me two weeks ago when i got the car. They did inform me of the ritual that must be performed in order to get a quick and very short term fix. Stick the key in the ignition till the "clicking" sound goes away about ten times. Then after that hold the lock button and simutaneously press the unlock button 5 times then let go of both. Then (yes theres more) press the unlock button once then the lock button once, and I should have a very short term fix(must be performed twice daily, like medication). Oh well looks like we have no choice in this matter. As for battery i had my BMW for 3 years almost without ever changing battery. good luck
  • Options
    sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the tip about the battery. I will check that out. It never occurred to me that it could be weak after just a month or so. But, as I've mentioned before, it clearly is not a "reprogramming issue" since it will eventually work if I push the button enough times.
  • Options
    I have an early build C320 and have NOT had the key problem yet. From the way it sounds... the key problem seems to afflict many people posting to this forum. I find it ironic that Mercedes does not even have a fix yet! Pretty frightening! I have a feeling that when you see the first reports from JD Power and Consumer Reports there will be some pretty bad marks for the new C class in the electrical department.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I have been reading this topic for months. The list of problems, consistent with enough owners to realize the troubles are more than just random,is amazing. This is a Mercedes product. What are they waiting for.
  • Options
    cpthallcpthall Member Posts: 1
    Just received my new c240 on March 20, 2001. Have not had problems with keys but I am concerned about the A/C unit. Placed unit on lowest setting around 62C. Hot air still flows from side defroster and windshield defrosters. What happens in the summer. Does A/C unit still blow hot air out of fixed sides and windshield. Someone please write back!!!!!
  • Options
    mongo11mongo11 Member Posts: 14
    Went across the desert on one of those roads where you could see for miles each way and hit 137 indicated before the speed limiter stepped in. It took very little time to get there and even less to slow back down. Its probably the last time I'll do this ( I upgraded my wheels and tires to a ZR speed rating) 235/40 on 18" wheels). According to the tach, it looks like this car is capable of much more if the speed limiter were not there.
  • Options
    The Friday Freeways chat is in 10 minutes (5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/freewaychat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Taking my C240 in for its first oil change tomorrow morning, it's at 3,800 miles. I'm bringing my own oil, Mobil 1 syn. 15/50 as recommended by Drew and others here. I felt a bit uncomfortable asking about this, but to my surprise the service advisor said he recommends this himself! He said if I paid them for the oil the total cost would be $95, if I bring my own it'll be about $22 for the filter and labor plus the $38 for the oil at, gulp, Walmart. My dealer gives 00 Ml320s as loaners so I'll take it for a 100 or so mile test drive while the C's being serviced. I'll let you guys, and Miki, know how it all goes. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
This discussion has been closed.