Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    404c404c Member Posts: 146
    In response to the posting regarding the C 320 that died in an exposed part of an intersection, Kenyee wrote: "On the bright side, if that person had gotten hit, there is no better car to be in than an MB or Volvo...he would *not* have gotten killed..."

With all due respect, that is one of the most absurd rationalizations I've seen. I hope that you wrote that in jest. It's sort of like an abused person saying "I don't mind it when my partner beats me, because (s)he says sorry and treats me nicely afterwards!"

The other flaw with it is that there are certainly no ways of guaranteeing survivability of *any* accident, whether you're in a C Class or Volvo(NCAP****) or even a Renault Laguna (NCAP*****).

If these (perhaps isolated) problems can be traced back to these "Smartkeys", I for one would tell M-B to dump them and go back to something that works. I'd MUCH rather have a chance of my car being stolen than have it crap out on me in heavy traffic, or even not work in the morning. Am I alone here?

Anyway, I'll reserve judgment on the reliability question until we get some statistically significant data, which should be coming out soon.

Mike
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Mike,
    It was not meant to be a rationalization.
    Guess you need smileys :-P

However, while your statement about survivability is true..i.e., there is no absolute, a MB or Volvo comes the closet to it of all cars available. If you have the time, take a poll of any ER doctors or ambulance drivers or cops you know...ask them which cars they see most people walk away from accidents in...

As for the reliability issue, if it is #1 on your list of shopping priorities (you do have a prioritized list, no?), I'd suggest you look at a car that does *not* use any sort of electronic key. Sometimes older tech is more reliable. :-)
  • Options
    mbman1mbman1 Member Posts: 35
    Mercedes Benz is in an "interesting" position. They are light years ahead of many car companies in terms of technology, but with this innovative technology comes problems. Mercedes designs it, tests it & works out the bugs. After all is said and done, companies like Lexus, just to name one, come along, use the technology that Mercedes has developed and boldly proclaim that they are the true king of reliability.

My guess is a few years from now, when every bug is worked out, Lexus, Acura, BMW and all the rest will come out with a similiar starting system and proclaim their reliability. Then Mercedes will be bashed for lack of quality control. This has been true for decades now.

I for one am sick of it, with new, innovative technology problems will exist, especially when car companies are under so much pressure and unable to properly test their vehicles. When looking at the whole picture, Mercedes are very reliable when factoring in that they are by far the most technologically advanced automobile on the road.

On the other hand, the problems some C-class owners are experiencing are totally unacceptable, and if it happened to me I would be steaming.
  • Options
    fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    on a brighter note, i went to test drive a C coupe today and the sales people were telling me that there shouldn't be too many bugs in the coupe specially with the key. supposedly there have been some changes done to the keys and the electronics (i have no idea how true this is.. maybe he was trying to get another sale out of me)
  • Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Just thought I'd post with reports of no significant problems with my 2000 C230 Kompressor - though I've only driven 3,899 miles. When I bought it a year ago I had the disadvantage of an immediately out-of-date design. But to the positive, it also had 7 years of refinements built-in. I had many more issues in the first year with my 1995 C-Class, which I believe was only the second year of production for that W202 model. I had gone to the dealer (Ray Catena in New Jersey) one Saturday to inquire about the possibility of buying a new 190 model, when he informed me it was no longer being made and the C-Class had taken its place.

Unless MB has changed their modus operandi, I would expect the issues with newer technology to diminish in successive years - and the newer C-Class models to inevitably becomes the next "older, reliable" models for the generation that will supercede them. The process in-between can be quite frustrating, though.

By the way, I live in Atlanta and patronize RBM, due to excellent people like Kay Goggins in Sales and Don Ratajski who has been my Service Advisor for almost 3 years now. They (along with my dentist) are among the reasons I am reluctant to leave this area, though for larger reasons I will eventually be moving back to New England.

imho,
    -Paul_P
  • Options
    htma1htma1 Member Posts: 10
    The local dealer replaced my drivers door gasket that split a month or so ago, and I figured I'd had the standard work-the-bugs-out visit. Thursday afternoon, though, the engine shut down while I was on an acceleration ramp to the interstate. Bad place to quit. When I shifted into neutral (5-spd)and the engine stopped turning, so I lost power steering and brakes - I pulled off the side of the road without difficulty, but my wife might have had trouble steering. Called Tele-aid - they took over five minutes to respond, and then took close to ten more minutes to transfer me to Dave, in MB roadside assistance. His best suggestion was to see if the car would restart - it did. He recommended that I ignore the "Check Engine" light - said it will go out in a couple days. Maybe not - yesterday (Saturday) the engine died again, this time driving at low speed in traffic in town. No chugging or vibration - the engine just quits. It did restart after turning the switch off, but seems low on power, and of course the check engine light is still on. 7800 miles, and dead on the road twice. My daughter, driving my old Honda with 190K is amused. Back to the dealer tomorrow!
  • Options
    weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    My brother's wife has a 2000 C280 she bought new. It has the snub nosed key. They've never had any problems with it.
    Is there a difference between the keys for the W202 and those for the W203? If so, it's a shame we're the forced early adapters for it.
    My C240 Sport 6 spd is due the end of Oct. I hope the keys have been figured out.

Cheers,
    John W.
  • Options
    w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    YES I agree with you about Kay Goggins. She is a huge asset to RBM. I will follow where ever she goes. She is great.
  • Options
    msburnsmsburns Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced problems with the drivers seat? The bottom seat cushion feels like something is poking up on the right side. I had it looked at and they said they moved some padding around but I still have the same problem. I plan to "test sit" in a new C320 at the dealership. My car is only 9 months new and this problem has developed in the last month. It really bothers me that a car of this caliper should have a problem like this. None of my Honda's had such a problem. Any thoughts or similar problems? Should I ask that the seat be replaced? Help.
  • Options
    I'm relieved to see that you wrote your posting on passive safety with tongue in cheek. This was rather well hidden though - you must admit that it was a very dry delivery ;-)

Mike
  • Options
    michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    I am so envious when I read about those of you who experience courtesy in their service areas. My service advisor is fine, but if there is a problem, it is necessary for the service manager to become involved. If I am unlucky enough to come on a day when the service manager is unavailable, I get the customer relations manager, who IMHO as a customer relations manager would do better as a bouncer. He is the one who on my first C320 picked off some paint on the driver door which left a hollow spot that could not be repaired other than by painting the entire door. On 09/17, I had the misfortune to run into him again.

My chrome rims were transferred from my first C320 (Black) to my second C320 (Obsidian) at the dealer owner's request. When I took delivery of the Obsidian on 05/30 and Klasse'd the entire body and rims, I noticed that three of the four rims had one to two inch marks on them located at the rim edges close to the tires. They looked like clamp or pry marks. In addition, one of these three rims also had a line that looked like a seam in the chrome and it went through to the inside and outside of the rim. I now know it was a crack and not a seam. I did not bring the car in to show them at that time because I thought these defects were not important enough as they were; I did not want to bother the dealer any more than I had to; and I felt if they caused no harm I would "live" with them.

A few weeks ago, I realized the mark that looked like a seam was really a crack in the chrome. It is on the front driver side, and it had spread and was rough and dented or collapsed on the edge. I brought the car in to ask my service advisor if he thought the rough edges would rub against the tire and cause damage. Again, my unlucky day -- the customer relations/bouncer came to look at the rims. He accused me of many things and said, "Knowing how meticulous you are, Miki, you would have brought the car in right away if they were there when you brought the car home." He escalated (his face got red) and I kept trying to calm him by saying these are only rims and not worth his getting excited about, and that I was not there to have them replaced. I asked three times the cost of new rims and he would not tell me.

I thought the marks could have been the result of the rims removed and transferred three or four times. He told me it was impossible for this to happen since they use a machine. QUESTION? Is anyone familiar with this machine and is he telling me the truth? I was told by one person who works with cars that if they use too much pressure it can do damage.

In summary, because I did not bring the car in right away for the reasons stated above, I was being accused of lying about the marks on the three rims being there at delivery. I felt defensive and demeaned. This "customer relations" person never took the time to understand my reason for bringing in the car in the first place, and he attacked my integrity. I sent a fax to the service manager with a blind copy to the dealer owner on 09/21, giving a brief description of my feelings and requesting he speak to my service advisor and let him know that I am not comfortable working with this man and in the future prefer not to have personal contact with him. I asked the Service Manager to advise me if he could do this for me. I have, to date, not received a reply to my fax.

So.... on 09/28, I sent a copy of this fax, along with a detailed report to the MB rep in my area.

Miki
  • Options
    nutternutter Member Posts: 7
    Follow this link for a pic of my 2001 C320 Capri/java with AMG rims from a 2001 CLK430:

http://www.mbworld.org/upload/2001/c3203.jpg
  • Options
    nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    As a fellow C owner, I emphatize with the mechanical and dealer problems some have and continue to experience. As should be the case, my C6 equipped 320 is coming up on 5,500 problem free miles and I marvel at its speed, agility, and drive today just as I did on 6/2 when I took delivery. I have no regrets and will not change my decision if I had to do it again. Earlier on, I was one of those who heard and reported a ticking noise coming from the engine. It turned out to be the fuel vapor purge valve that has since been retrofitted. I also had an oil-like stain on one of my wheels. With no questions asked, the dealer replaced the wheel. Knowing how meticulous I am, my service advisor ordered the wheel twice since, unbeknownst to me at the time, the first wheel arrived with a slight nick on it that most would probably have missed. He just knew I would be dissatisfied and took care of it. Now, that's the way it should be.

In my experience with the dealership so far, I strongly believe mechanical proficiency, communication, and a sense of caring goes a long way to make a customer satisfied even if the problem is not completely fixed during the first visit. Unfortunately, some service folks, mechanics included, are much better at what they do as compared to their colleagues elsewhere thereby leading to the understandable level of frustration manifested on this forum. I am not even convinced at this time that the folks at the Mercedes Customer Assistance Center know what they talk about sometimes. This is based on first-hand experience the few times I called in about the purge valve.

I consider myself fortunate after reading the plight of others. Should I consider myself fortunate? I don't believe I should. My pleasant experience to date is the way it should be for all. That may not be realistic since we are dealing with machines. That's understandable. In that case, the mechanical proficiency, communication, and a sense of caring should kick-in. Here in the LA area, Mercedes dealers are not as saturated in areas as other dealers thereby making it difficult at times to just go to another dealership for service. For those experiencing problems, and as frustrating as it may be, I say continue escalating and if Mercedes really believes in the service it has come to be known for, they may pressure the dealers to act in a more professional and proficient manner. Could this be wishful thinking? Hope not.
  • Options
    Mike:
    Yep, hard to show emotions on the web, especially wry humor.
    If you knew me, that's exactly how I am though ;-)
  • Options
    >I also had an oil-like stain on one of my >wheels. With no questions asked, the dealer >replaced the wheel. Knowing how meticulous I am, >my service advisor ordered the wheel twice >since, unbeknownst to me at the time, the first >wheel arrived with a slight nick on it that most >would probably have missed. He just knew I would >be dissatisfied and took care of it. Now, that's >the way it should be.

Nanky,
    Our cars are twin Obsidians -- they traveled to the USA together on the same ship and arrived at the same port of entry. However, from your description of your dealer, methinks the twins were not purchased from the same dealership. Yours sounds more human. (I live in Brentwood -- Westside of Los Angeles)

>In my experience with the dealership so far, I >strongly believe mechanical proficiency, >communication, and a sense of caring goes a long >way to make a customer satisfied even if the >problem is not completely fixed

You are absolutely correct. If either the service manager or the owner with whom I have done business responded to my fax, it would have minimized and offset my upsetting encounter with their customer relations person. To be ignored is very insulting. This is not a professional or courteous way to do business.

I love my C320 and other than the more-than-usual windshield distortion which does not bother me, so far (knock on wood) I have not had any mechanical or cosmetic problems, other than the chrome rims. I will be taking the car to West Coast Tires where I buy all my tires and carry a Road Hazard Warranty for the 320 Continentals. They
    will be able to tell me if something is wrong with the rims and if the one with the cracked collapsed edge will harm the tire. I don't trust anything the customer relations person tells me now.

Meanwhile, I hope to hear from the MB Service and Parts Operation Manager whose territory is all of Los Angeles and Orange Counties.

Miki
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Undoubtedly, the wheels were damaged somewhere in the mounting process in the shop - unless you caused the damage by scraping a curb. As for the cracked one, you are Exhibit A for why I advise people to avoid chromed wheels, period [aside from visits from the taste police]. The chroming process weakens the materials in the wheel alloy, and it simply is very common for these wheels to develop air leaks, cracks, or worse, fail catastrophically [unusual, thankfully, but it can happen]. If you wind up replacing the wheels, get something without the chrome finish - these are nothing but problems waiting to happen.

Most MB dealers have lots of experience handling wheels to avoid damage, but your description of these clowns certainly indicates they could employ one or more gorillas in the shop who don't know how to do it right. You can order replica wheels that fit perfectly, with new tires, from Tire Rack [and others] that are ready to mount on the car. This is almost always the best approach to replacing damaged OEM alloys on MBs, because the factory wheels are ridiculously expensive, unless you can get the dealer to pay....
  • Options
    crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Wow. That looks really nice. How much did the rims/wheels cost?

Thanks
  • Options
    benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    hi everyone,

2002 C 240s still showing same problems which was common in 2001 models - TRUNK LOCKING, I was under impression that MB must have fixed in 2002 models but unfortunately I was wrong - my Silver C 240 shows no sign of opening its trunk and surprisingly I found the Metal Key which comes along with Smart Key is not working either - I have called dealer and he said pull the CAR to service, will do that today and will keep you posted you guys - just curious who had this problem before how much time service takes to fix it ?

thanks in advance
  • Options
    jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Leokadia1 - I am amazed that you purchased your C240 for $643 over invoice. Appreciated all the valueable information you provided regarding invoice pricing.

In the past I had the impression that Mercedes owners might be somewhat snobbish. However you guys on this forum are the most helpful and down to earth people I have ever met. Hope that attitude never changes.
  • Options
    "...visits from the Taste Police..." HaHaHa, I love it. So cruel and yet so true. Chroming wheels is the most obvious example of form completely over-riding function. Please don't do it - chrome wheels look - quite frankly - ridiculously cheesy. Add the unfortunate side effects that jrct9454 referred to, and you have a compelling pair of reasons to avoid doing it.

Mike
  • Options
    bubba3007bubba3007 Member Posts: 38
    I am over weight, over aged, bearded, pony-tailed and retired. I don't feel I have anything to prove to anyone. I normally dress in a tee shirt, jeans and Top Siders (preferably well worn and comfortable). In other words. not the picture of the Mercedes-Benz demographic. That being said, I would NOT do business with anyone, car dealer, grocery store, service organization, ANYONE, that treated me with anything less than total courtesy and respect. I expect such treatment from others and extend such treatment in return. This includes being greeted properly and promptly, being left with the impression that they are honestly glad to have me in their establishment, and the feeling that I will be welcome back at any time. It also includes having my honesty accepted without question. I have received this type of treatment from Mercedes-Benz of Omaha and expect it to continue. If I ever had an example of discourtesy such as some of you have reported, (and it has happened) I do my best to teach the offending party(s) a lesson in manners that will not soon be forgotten. No faxes, no phone calls, no letters; but with personal visits and non-negtiable demands. Bubba is a [non-permissible content removed] cat but he has all of his claws.

Bubba

"... My friends all drive Porches, I must make AMENDS" J. Joplin
  • Options
    mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    What is your source of information that chroming rims is detrimental to their integrity? How? Form over-riding function? It's just a finish, nothing more. Show me a rim that doesn't have any finish on it. Besides, it's fun to see the snobs cringe when they see chrome rims on a MB.....like any make is not subject to self expression.
  • Options
    Nanky,
    Our cars are twin Obsidians -- they traveled to the USA together on the same ship and arrived at the same port of entry. However, from your description of your dealer, methinks the twins were not purchased from the same dealership. Yours sounds more human. (I live in Brentwood -- Westside of Los Angeles)
    >>>>
    Miki - If there is an Eastside of Los Angeles, that's where I live - Chino Hills. The twins were seperated at the Port of Long Beach and I purchased mine from Penske Motorcars in West Covina. Hope your wheel problem is resolved to your total satisfaction. Still loving the Obsidian Black color.
  • Options
    >Still loving the Obsidian Black color.

Me, too.

Miki
  • Options
    jrct wrote:
    <<"...visits from the Taste Police...">>

404c wrote:
    <<HaHaHa, I >love it. So cruel Chroming >wheels is the most obvious example of form >completely over-riding function. Please don't do >it - chrome wheels look - quite frankly - >
    ridiculously cheesy.>>

Gentlemen:

You have tried my sense of humor and I am truly insulted. However, since you do not know me or those with whom I associate who do prefer chrome rims, your tasteless remarks must be put in the proper perspective. Methinks you might be where the good taste is lacking.

Miki
  • Options
    mleskovar wrote:
    <<Besides, it's fun to see the snobs cringe when they see chrome rims on a MB.....>>

Mark,
    A few years back, I think chrome rims were not "cool" -- but I have very famous friends in sports -- and conservative established friends in the entertainment industry -- both groups share our appreciation of chrome wheels. I read in an MB newsletter that my dealer is the top-selling dealer in the country. They cater to the most affluent and famous in the County -- you should see all the cars with chrome wheels there! Being affluent and famous does not necessarily mean good taste, but it does set a trend methinks. I think those who do not like chrome rims have a right to their opinion, but I think they are a bit outdated and living in the past.

Miki
  • Options
    nvcnvc Member Posts: 21
    In the process of closing a deal on a 2002 C240. I am wondering if an extended warranty is worth the money. Called Lisa up at Courtesy motors and she had the best deal for an extra 3yr /50 k (on top of 4 yr 50 k for total of 7 yr 100k) for $1580. I know that the car is just on its 2nd model year, but I am interested on how many of you new C class owners bouthg it, and how many of you current and previous MBZ owners found the ext. warrantry worth it....

Hope you can share some insights!
  • Options
    Bubba wrote:

<<If I ever had an example of discourtesy such as some of you have reported, (and it has happened) I do my best to teach the offending party(s) a lesson in manners that will not soon be forgotten. No faxes, no phone calls, no letters; but with personal visits and non-negtiable demands>>

Bubba -- In the fax I sent re my encounter with customer relations man, I wrote "I do not think he would have been able to speak to a man the way he spoke to me without risk of confrontation." Since he is a LOT bigger than I am, I have to refer to the "pen is mightier than the sword" approach. That said, do not think for a minute I was not tempted to punch him in the nose, but I could not reach it.

I would change dealers in a New York minute, but they are not convenient. However, the MB Service and Operations Manager is the same for both Los Angeles and Orange Counties, and he is the one who gets the job done.

Miki
  • Options
    jcrt wrote:
    <<Undoubtedly, the wheels were damaged somewhere in the mounting process in the shop - unless you caused the damage by scraping a curb.>>

The cracked rim is on the front driver side -- I do not park where curbs are on the left side.

<<If you wind up replacing the wheels, get something without the chrome finish - these are nothing but problems waiting to happen.>>

I hope this is not true because I love the chrome wheels and would get them again (methinks :)

<<Most MB dealers have lots of experience handling wheels to avoid damage, but your description of these clowns certainly indicates they could employ one or more gorillas in the shop who don't know how to do it right.>>

Indeed! They goofed up my first 320!

<<You can order replica wheels that fit perfectly, with new tires, from Tire Rack [and others] that are ready to mount on the car. This is almost always the best approach to replacing damaged OEM alloys on MBs, because the factory wheels are ridiculously expensive, unless you can get the dealer to pay....>>

I'm working on it! Thanks for "most" of your post :)

Miki
  • Options
    mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    "Being affluent and famous does not necessarily mean good taste..."

Another downside to chrome plating rims is it makes them heavier which degrades both the ride and handling aspects of the car, which defeats the point in having alloy rims in the first place.
  • Options
    do you have the 7 spoke rims in chrome? do you have a picture of it? I would like to know how it looks.

I personally think that the wheels makes a huge difference in a car. would like to get some chrome rims for my car as well but want some wheels that have a lip on it. I am still trying to find some nice ones.

let me know if anyone has any suggestions or pics of chrome rims on their cars ... and like someone said, it's a matter of opinion....
  • Options
    zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    got my rear passenger door whacked last night!

boooo hooooo!
    looks like 2-3 grand to fix..... ugh
  • Options
    <<do you have the 7 spoke rims in chrome? do you have a picture of it? I would like to know how it looks.>>

Hi Fuzzo,

I have the standard C320 wheels, but they are "chromed". I was pleased with chrome on my plain Black and just as pleased with how they look on the Obsidian Black. On a Black or Obsidian Black the chrome is very handsome because it matches the minute chrome trim and emblem, without introducing another medium. If I had Magma Red, Bordeaux Red, Wedgewood Blue, Glacier White, Desert Silver, Brilliant Silver or any color that was not dark, I am not sure if I would do chrome. Sorry, I do not have pics.

Miki
  • Options
    weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    Miki-

I was wondering which LA MB dealer you're having so much trouble with. I ordered my C240 through a broker who uses the dealer in Santa Monica. I hope that's not the one.

Oh, yeah! Great win at the USGP, yesterday ;-)

John W.
  • Options
    mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    So do you remove the center caps on the wheels to reduce your car's unsprung weight as well? The weight of the chrome is negligible beyond normal paint & clear coat. Considering the suspension tuning, ride, and use of a street sedan chrome on the wheels makes no difference. Your balance weights weigh more than the chrome. It's a looks issue and nothing more.
  • Options
    first ding/scratch/hit hurts the most :-P
    Hope no one was hurt...
  • Options
    benzladybenzlady Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    benzladybenzlady Member Posts: 4
    Miki, thanks again for the additional info you gave me on the extended warranty. When I get my new C240 I will call Courtesy Motors. Martha
  • Options
    I would rather not give you the name of my dealer if you don't mind. Sorry 'bout that.

Miki
  • Options
    Mbnut1 wrote:
    Another downside to chrome plating rims is it makes them heavier which degrades both the ride and handling aspects of the car, which defeats the point in having alloy rims in the first place.
    >>>
    You must be kidding right? If not then I guess coats of Armorall, Meguair's and what have yous equally degrade ride and handling. What's next???
  • Options
    tclawtclaw Member Posts: 23
    I haven't posted in a while--I guess I've been too busy taking that little silver key in and out of its holder. My first set of keys began their intermittant failure in the spring, about five months after delivery. The second set lasted until August. The third set never left the starting gate, because the dealer could not get them to accept the programming. They said that MB must have sent the wrong keys. The fourth set arrived last week, my car went in this morning, and this afternoon the service rep called and said that they coudn't get these keys programmed either. They're waiting for a new ignition. Fortunately, instead of the Chevy Cavalier or its equivalent that they usually provide as a loaner, I've got a brand new ML 500, which I really don't like driving. Way too truck-like, after driving a C320. And, by the way, get this, it's got a metal key that you insert into a small hole on the steering column. What a novel idea! If these keys don't work, it's time to invoke Virginia's lemon law, which does not require that the defect be safety-related.
  • Options
    Ironic that you mentioned the ML keys. These also have a transponder. There was a lot of failure in the 1998 model when it first came out. Key would get unprogrammed. AAM would stop talking to it. Sound familiar?
    Even now, if you put lots of keys on it and go over railroad tracks, the key would get loose enough, lose contact w/ the transponder, and the engine will shut down.

Progress...well...at least it's harder to steal...the person who installs car alarms for the MA state police said the ML did *NOT* need Lojack, and that was before it came w/ TeleAid :-)
  • Options
    Martha -- you are most welcome. Although I paid $1580 for the premium 4-year extended warranty from Lisa, some have paid $1680 for same and $1580 for 3-year. My recently purchased contract is clear that the $1580 is for premium 4-yr or 100,000 miles. Be sure to check it out.

Miki
  • Options
    bubba3007bubba3007 Member Posts: 38
    I admit that I have found that being larger than average (since before high school) has had its advantages, it can be down right intimidating at times, but I am also a bit of a pacifist. I don't think being violent or threatening would earn the respect that I think I deserve and demand. That said, I try to always avoid losing my temper and never be vengeful, and to never try to get even... If I can't come out way ahead, then I have lost. ;-)

Bubba

"... My friends all drive Porches, I must make AMENDS..." J. Joplin
  • Options
    Well, to be specific about the problem with chroming aluminum alloy (Al) wheels (other than the love 'em or hate 'em optics), chromium (Cr) is generally sprayed on molten (very hot), or sometimes the entire part is immersed in molten Cr (very unikely in the case of Al wheels - low melting point - unless the shop owner is completely incompetent and/or has amazing liability insurance). Now, your standard Benz 7-spoke wheels are cast Al, which is not a particularly resistant material.

Removing the factory paint may itself damage the cast material, depending upon how they do it, but providing a very sharp heat-shock (by hot-spraying molten Cr onto the cast Al) will, I guarantee, weaken the already porous material by making small, probably microscopic cracks in the surface of the wheel structure. These cracks, like any good crack, will spread and intensify. This is likely what the previous poster has experienced on her wheels.

Aside from being a nuisance in terms of finish, these cracks are downright dangerous, as the cracked wheel can fail catastrophically when under load (such as during spirited cornering). I seriously hope no-one is nominated for a Darwin award by suffering such a problem at speed.

If your wheels show ANY signs of cracks they must be replaced immediately, or at the very least magnafluxed to check for the profundity of the crack. If they are structurally damaged (which is by far the most likely scenario), demand new M-B factory, painted wheels from the shop that did the plating. It is not the responsibility of Mercedes-Benz to replace wheels damaged in this way. Do not mess around with this stuff, it's not worth it.

If any of you are still in any doubt that the practice of chromium-plating Aluminum alloy wheels is unwise, I suggest that you write a letter to Mercedes-Benz and/or the Technische Überwachungs Verein (TÜV) in Germany to see whether they recommend this particular modification.

Far better than typical cast Al wheels are the much more expensive and extremely strong forged Al wheels, as supplied on the C32. I suspect that these may better support thermal shocks that Cr plating entails, but then again one's better aesthetic judgment should intervene before that occurs ;-)

In all seriousness, don't chromium plate aluminum wheels!

Mike
  • Options
    Bubba:
    "I don't think being violent or threatening would earn the respect that I think I deserve and demand. That said, I try to always avoid losing my temper and never be vengeful, and to never try to get even... If I can't come out way ahead, then I have lost. ;-)"

Miki:
    Sorry, Bubba, I must have misunderstood your post.

Bubba:
    "If I ever had an example of discourtesy such as some of you have reported, (and it has happened) I do my best to to teach the offending party(s) a lesson in manners that will not soon be forgotten. No faxes, no phone calls, no letters; but with personal visits and non-negotiable demands."

Miki:
    So, how would you, a pacifist, go about teaching offending parties a lesson in manners that will not soon be forgotten? Invite them to tea? -- How would you advise a courteous, patient, calm, respectful petite blonde who is being bullied and not used to rough and rude treatment handle this type of situation? My husband always advised me not to deal with the lower level employees if they were being unpleasant and to quietly walk away and go straight to the top. It is good business methinks, particularly with a new car, to document everything -- it has worked wonders for me -- so the faxes, letters and Emails have been very beneficial. Keep in mind, Bubba, this customer relations man would not have spoken to you as he did to me.
  • Options

Mike -- I don't understand why MB is not responsible if they supplied the chrome wheels as an add on and the car is less than four months old.

Miki
  • Options
    Are the chrome wheels in the MB accessories catalog?
  • Options
    I don't believe chrome wheels are an MB option.
  • Options
    rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I think they are a "dealer installed" option, not a factory option.
This discussion has been closed.