Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    larryhartlarryhart Member Posts: 23
    Had my 104* amp replaced with the 103* and I'm ecstatic. Nearly 33000 on my Y2K LS & I'm a very pleased customer. Thanks to my friends on this forum I've now got all the upgrades that the 2001 models have - - new cradle, wheel well liners, new instrument cluster (which fixed my intermittently inoperable remotes) and now the new amp. I have a great service department at the NJ dealer I bought the car from & they're eager to learn from me & Edmund's what they subsequently learn from GM & Chevy. I never had my intermediate steering shaft replaced because the cradle replacement fixed my front-end looseness. Thanks again to all. . . Regards, LH
  • Options
    jps045jps045 Member Posts: 7
    Roderacer...The roof trim on my Impala was coming up at the ends..The dealer was going to order new ones but was afraid the same thing might happen again since they are doulble-sided tape on these trims..instead he asked me if it was ok to use a sealer to keep it in place & assured me that it would not come up..It took about 45 minutes and looks great..
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Interesting... Sounds like TSB material to me. If the service tech. knows that attaching the replacement trim will inevitably cause the same problem, then Chevy needs to rectify this issue and use sealer the trim.

Do you know what sealer they used?

Thanks,
    RR
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    No, I have not gotten my exhaust modified yet, but thanks for asking. I think I am within a week or 2 of having it done, especially now that I have picked out the tips I want. I think the Chevy Bowtie Logo exhaust tips will look cool. (chevymall.com, search for "bowtie exhaust"). (I don't know how to post the picture)...

As for the Amp, I hesitate to give that info, at least until I actually have my new amp in the car. If they get hit with more of these, they may decide not to do ANY of them. I believe you will have a good chance of success if you arm yourself with posts from this board and go to your local dealership...

How do you post a picture, anyone?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    KarenS explains it very well in your Owners Club Photo Gallery Discussion. Here is a link to the post: KarenS "Chevrolet Impala Owners: Photo Gallery" Feb 27, 2001 7:40am.

By the way, you can get to the Owners Club by clicking on the link that appears under the discussion title at the top of this page - sometimes folks forget that.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I am taking the car in for service next week. The primary reason is for a rattle coming from the drivers side door when the window is lowered and music is playing or bumps in the road are driven over.

I am also going to have them seal the roof trim. I mentioned to the Serv. Dept. that I didn't want them to replace the trim, since it would just come up again.

Thanks,
    RR
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    end
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    We've talked before about the rattle, or buzzing some of us have in the overhead instrument cluster (reading lights, Homelink, compass, etc)... I've noticed this summer that it DOESN'T rattle when it gets very hot. Then it shakes (loose glue) but no rattle. In the mornings or evening when the temps cool down it begins to rattle again. Especially on rough roads.

I HAVE to have this thing tightened. It's driving me nuts.

Next oil change.

Cookie.
  • Options
    lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the DIC giving false temp readings. We have had a problem the last couple of weeks and I obtained information of where the sensor is located but was wondering if any one else had the problem before I go on the hunt for it. I suppose the sensor could go bad like anything else. I will check back to see if any of you have a problem and hopefully I can keep up with the letters now that the PC is back up to par again.
    LRCobra
    IIIIIMMMMM BBBBAAAAACCCCCKKKKK
  • Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    .. it has come open a little bit, so I took it to my dealer. He had no hesitation to make an appointment for me to try to fix the problem or replace that part of the dash, which is a big part, the entire front of the dash. I'll let you know how that goes.

In other news I got my tinting done, found a nice place that all the dealers go to, got Solar Guard Tinting. Also modified my exhaust, it looks awesome. I have to get some pictures up. Got the floor mats like 00impala's, and am waiting on 4 wheel caps from the 96 impala to replace the bowties.

The only thing I am thinking of doing now is maybe replacing the tires, going to stick with the same size, I just am tired of all the road noise. What do you all recommend as a replacement?
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I recommend Michelins. Their latest version of the X-one would be my first choice. They have good traction on dry, wet, and icy roads, they're soft over the bumps, last a LONG, LONG time, and are quiet as a sleeping baby. The only drawback is you might start hearing some other noises because you CAN'T hear the tires.

That's what I'm looking forward to getting next.
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    My wife insists that the temp gauge is wrong on my DIC, it shows 115 degrees regularly, but only when it's that hot! Sometimes it will be about 4 degrees hotter than what they say on the radio for instance, but the temp they give is always the "official" temp for Phoenix, and that is taken at the airport which is right near downtown, it's always hotter out in the desert where I live (it's all desert really but where I am you can actually see it) The day we broke a record at 116 (last week sometime) The outlaying areas were even hotter (119 at my place and 122 out at BullHead City) and my temp gauge showed that was the temp... so I think it's right... my opinion though!
  • Options
    I know our temp gage is wrong. I was in Dayton,OH on Sat and within a two mile stretch of I75 the temp went from 93 to 61 and the radio was reporting the temp as 91. It has started fluctuating like that since the last time I cleaned the engine. I am going to check the wiring to the sensor before I go to the expense of replacing it. I just was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.
    LRCobra
  • Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    Where is the sensor for the the thermometer?
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    if you look under your car, right in front of the radiator, you'll see a thermometer - I believe that it. I know some of the early 2000 model impalas had incorrect temp reading, but i think that has been corrected. Mine is usually off by a degree or 2.
    Chris
  • Options
    phollanphollan Member Posts: 14
    I think your rattle might be coming from the cover for the wires that go into the mirror. When I got my '01 LS, I heard the noise and eventually tracked it to the plastic cover. It comes apart in two pieces, I think by pulling down on the top half. This made the sound go away.

After putting it back in place, I eventually got it to stop making that irritating noise by sliding the top half a few times until I found the right position for it. It's been about two months and it hasn't come back. Hope this helps

As for the shaking mirror, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it, but that problem goes away as soon as the interior cools..

BTW, I've noticed the roof strips are coming up a little in the back. It seems the only way to fix it would be better adhesive, but what would work? If anybody finds something that works long-term, please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    I am going to check into the Michelin X-Ones. I've always had really good luck with BF Goodrich on my conversion van. The van is so well insulated (by the aftermarket conversion people in Elkart Indiana, not by GM) that road noise from the tires was never a problem. I don't know if BF Goodrich makes a quiet touring tire or not, but they have been excellent for my other vehicle. I've heard some people recommend the Yokahomas but we get quite a bit of icey roads in the winter, from what I have read they are not all that great in the snow and ice. Looking to combine my family's safety with a nice quiet and comfortable ride.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Putting a temp sensor in front of a radiator is a really dumb idea.
    Mine reads 2-4 degrees high.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    re-calibrate the DIC?

Read your owner's manuals..

Welcome back LR.
  • Options
    I recalibrated after having the temp reading go crazy. the recalibration doesn't allow the temp sensor to recalibrate though. I tried the different settings for the compass and the temp still is not reading accurate like it did at first. I wish it was only a couple degrees off--I could live with that. Tonight I am going to borrow a friends rack and go on the hunt for the sensor. If all looks well I am just going to replace the sensor and hope for the best.
    LRCobra
  • Options
    9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    Michelins should work well on the LS model; but due to the suspension differences I would not put such a tire on the std Impala..
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Sylvania makes a bulb called "Cool Blue" that is supposed to produce a whiter light, is a direct replacement (no modifications required) and is DOT legal (so they say). The part number is 9006CB and 9005CB and I saw it at Checkers auto for $16 a bulb.
  • Options
    I'll work on this next week and come up with a How to article. I found the same trim tape and I am gonna pick up some silicone adhesive this afternoon and try both.
  • Options
    They make a kevlar brake pad that reduces brake noise, grabs better, is easier on the rotors and does not produce the black brake dust that coats the wheels. I have contacted the company and the are coming out for a set for the Impala, but don't have any in stock yet. As soon as they do, I'll be picking up a set and installing them right away. I'll keep you all posted.
  • Options
    kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    Dayton, I-75. Temp gauge dropped from 95 to 61, eh? You were probably passing through Oakwood at the time...they're very cold to visitors. :D
  • Options
    harrakaharraka Member Posts: 24
    Hi everyone. I am a loyal lurked here and I've posted a few times. I love the board because you all are so full on info. I have a 2000 base Impala. My question is Chevy-GM related but not about the Impala. I have a friend with an 86 year old grandfather who has a 99 Malibu that has been problematic from day 1. Brake problems that they can't resolve. They've talked to the dealership manager and Chewy customer service and basically have been told they are on their own unless they want to pursue under the lemon law. This does not seem right to me. They went to another dealer who refused to touch the car. Any ideas on how to take this further with CM and demand they do something. The car is still under warranty. I know many have been successful dealing with CM so any and all tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    Every Chevy dealer is supposed to service your grandfather's Malibu. They refused to touch it? Tell them you will report them to GM Corporate, your local Dept. of Consumer Affairs, the BBB, etc.
    Call Chevy's 800 resolution number again. The Malibu has a known problem with their brake rotors. You should be able to have them completely replaced, along with new pads, under warranty. Do not accept resurfacing. That is probably what they've been doing until now.
    Check the NHTSA or ALLDATA websites, which list recalls and TSB's for all cars. I'm sure there are listings there for Malibu brakes. Also, MSN Carpoint, Edmunds, and Carreview.com have many user reviews describing Malibu's brake problems, and their possible solutions.
  • Options
    I don't understand the comment about not using Michelins on the base Impala. The Michelins I've used so far are high profile (70 and 80 series), and are not considered the "performance" models. They would presumably be very well suited for the base model Impalas, and maybe not as well for the more performance applications. The reason I suggested use on the LS is that NO IMPALA is really considered a performance car by my standards (Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, other more exotic cars). I have found, however, that among the non-speed-rated tires the Michelens perform really well on cornering, wet and icy roads, tread life, and they're quiet. What a great combination!
  • Options
    frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    I picked up an RDS radio from a wrecked 2000 Impala with AM/FM/CD player and tape today. This will add the tape function to my existing stereo system. The only problem I have is that I don't have the service manual to give me the answers I need to do the swap. Does anyone have a service manual that they could look into to provide the answers I could use ? First of all I need to know what has to be removed or how to remove the radio from the dash. Secondly, How is the radio theft lock unlocked once the radio is powered back up. I could find myself dealing with the second item twice. The first time trying to put the new radio in, the second time trying to get my original radio to work again just in case the one I picked up has a problem.
    Thanks
  • Options
    jci1jci1 Member Posts: 34
    I have an 01LS and upgrading to Michelins was going to happen immediately. Especially after my first road trip. Unfortunately, I found a better use for the $500. I had a set of Symmetry Michelins on my 97 Cutlass, and they were fabulous! Smooth ride, quiet, and really handled well. I know the X-one would be my tire of choice for the Impala. Sam's club sells a Michelin with the same specs as the X-one for a discount. I would definately reccommend Michelin as a tire upgrade, for the LS or Base model.

Info is available at www.michelin.tireselector.com/
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Heading to the mountains of NC and then to a wedding in Atlanta. See you in about a week.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I agree with Mediumfry. The Impala LS is really not a performance vehicle, regardless what suspension is underneath.

Michelin tires are best suited for all vehicles. If the tires performs well, gives good gas mileage, long lasting, and good handling, why not use them on all vehicles?

Does it really matter what suspension is underneath, Base vs LS? Absolutely not.
  • Options
    If it makes no difference what kind of tires are on the car, then why put GY GA's on LS models and Tigerpaws on the base? Seems it would be cheaper for GM to do that to save some money, and it's obvious they cut corners to save money on this car in all kinds of places. Can a specific tire work better on a car with stiffer suspension? I think so. Will it wear differently and give a different ride? More than likely. Some are more noisy than others and that's a factor as well. My tires sound good on pavement (asphalt)or I should say, don't make much noise. On concrete (freeways) they are pretty noisy. I switched out my GA's at 3k miles, I now have 22k+, I have checked the tread wear and have less than 2/32 of tread wear. Not too bad for almost 20 k of driving. These tires are from Big O and are made by Kelly Springfield I believe. It's called "Legacy Tour Plus" is rated 380 treadwear, "A" for Traction and "A" for temperature. I paid 103.00 each and that is full warranty, repairs free, balance free and rotation free. I'm very happy with them, much better than the GA's that came with the car. I got 30.00 trade in on all my GA's by the way.
  • Options
    jps045jps045 Member Posts: 7
    The auto body repair service at the dealership used a clear sealant, he said that they were going to lift the ends and squirt the sealant into the roof trim..so far so good and it looks very nice..Good luck with yours..keep in touch
  • Options
    Does anyone know how many amps the alternator on the 2001 LS puts out? Or where I can find out?
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    It should be stamped on the alternator or have a sticker stating the amps.
    according to the service manual page 6-478
    3.4l (RPO K34) 102 AMPS
    3.8L (RPO K43) 102 AMPS
    3.8L (RPO KG7) 125 AMPS (MAYBE FOR POLICE PACKAGE)
    Check the sticker in the trunkn for the RPO #
  • Options
    impalanatorimpalanator Member Posts: 37
    Just had to respond to all the "reported" inaccuracies of the DIC temp indications. Inaccurate compared to what? If you're going by what the reporter on the radio said, are you sitting in the exact same spot as thermometer used for that report? I think not. Temperature varies (sometimes greatly) even in a given area. I have personally seen the temp change in my 2K LS 30 degrees in 10 minutes going from the bottom of a small mountain to the top in WV. I got out at the top to verify and the temp had actually dropped that far. Ever drive through a weather front? It's like an invisible barrier, the temp can all of a sudden change drastically.

My point is: a few degrees either way is not worth worrying about. It's probably the correct temperature for where your are at the moment. If it's off by 20 degrees or more 'consistently' then by all means have it checked. By the way, if you're comparing it to a "household" thermometer, when was the last time you had "it" calibrated? Why, never, you say...hmmmm. Temperature measurement devices for the regular consumer market are notoriously subjective (read inaccurate). Temperature measurement tools just like any other "measurement" tool need to be calibrated regularly. This only happens in the professional environment. Sorry for the rant, but I felt something needed to be said.
  • Options
    I'll look into my manual and see what it says for radio replacement. It may require a special tool for re-programming the theft lock. If it was user-programmable without special tools, it wouldn't be very secure...

There may also be Onstar issues.

I'll post what I find.
  • Options
    Certainly there is a use for different types and styles of tires. The really wide, low profile tires are great for dry pavement traction, acceleration, and cornering for high performance cars. Clearly the Impala was not designed for these tires. Those who use them on Impalas are IMO getting looks more than enhanced overall performance.

The mid-profile tires on the LS are well suited for the stiffer, higher performance tuning of the LS suspension but are still soft on the bumps, hold the road well, etc.

The high profile tires on the base Impala are well suited for its softer suspension settings and more economical cost scheme.

Michelin and many other manufacturers make all three types of tires. My feeling is that any tire that matches the OEM size will work pretty well. I just believe that Michelin tires provide a better overall value than the others in the high and mid-profile size ranges. I've never had a racecar so I haven't any experience with low profile tires.
  • Options
    Although I don't consider Impala LS a performance vehicle, low profile tires DO improve the performance of the vehicle. However, in order to maximize the handling, the car needs to be lowered to reduce the center of gravity.

Low profile tires DO give the driver better handling, cornering, traction, and acceleration. It's not just for looks.

If anyone is interested in low profile tires, I recommend Dunlop SP8000. But for touring sedans, I recommend Michelin MXV4.

zoom zoom
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    AT A LOCAL CHEVY DEALER JULY 28TH. DEALER HAD TWO 2002 CHEVY IMPALA'S AT THE BACK. CARMINE RED AND DARK BLUE LS MODELS. CHECKED THE CARS ALL OVER NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2001'S. THE STICKER PRICE WAS THE SAME AS 2001. NOW 52 WEEKS TO WAIT TO SEE 2003 IMPALAS, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE UPDATE CHANGES ON THE O3' MODELS.
  • Options
    You can still get performance tires that are not low-profile. I replaced my GY GA's at 3000 miles. Besides not liking the way they looked, they were noisy and poor handling.
    My solution was to replace them with Yokohama AVS dB's. They are Z-rated performance tires, so I no longer get squealing and even skittering on simple turns and entrance ramps. They are available in 225/60ZR16, so they fit the existing rims. They are incredibly quiet, the quietest tires, touring or performance, that I have ever driven. For $96 each, they are an excellent value. The GA's are usually more expensive!
    If you are due for new tires, or just want to improve the ride and handling of your Impala, I highly recommend the Yoko AVS dB.
  • Options
    What is the estimated tread life mileage; 20k or 30k ????
  • Options
    Does anyone remember who had the link to the website that sold the replacement computer chip? It got rid of the speed limiter and everything.
  • Options
    I don't know how much mileage you can expect, but the treadware rating of 320 compares to other speed-rated Yokohama performance tires.
    If long tread life is important to you, in addition to a smooth quiet ride, you might consider the Yokohama AVID Touring which has an 80,000 mile warranty, and is an incredible $49 at TireRack.com. Your local discount tire dealer should match that price.
    Of course, it's not as high performance a tire as the AVS dB, but still a much better all-around tire than the Goodyear GA (which apparently stands for God Awful).
    See for yourself. Go to tirerack.com, choose Shop By Size, 225/60-16 Standard Touring, check the boxes by both tires, and click compare.
  • Options
    I have the Michelin MXV4's on my Acura CL, and the Yoko AVS dB's on my Impala are definitely better handling, quieter tires.
    However, everything else about the Acura is superior to the Impala, except for the exterior appearance, of course.
  • Options
    joed56joed56 Member Posts: 27
    I wonder if anyone out there can help me. I have a 2001 Impala LS. At 1200 miles, the engine shutdown while I was driving. The red battery light went on in the message center and the car stalled out. I pulled off to the side of the road and waited five minutes. The car started up and was fine up until last Thursday. At that point I had 4000 miles on the car. My wife was driving the car and the exact same thing happened to her. After the first incident, I took the car to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong with it. The service manager claimed they put the computer on the car but could find nothing wrong with it. Well, now two months later the same thing has happened. It will be going back to the dealer tomorrow(Monday morning). I'm really getting frustrated. Some people tell me that the problem has to happen while the dealer has the car. The problem is that when the dealer had the car, the car drove like a dream. Has anyone experienced the same type of problem? I would appreciate any advice and I will keep everyone posted of the outcome
  • Options
    If you like the Yoko so much, how much cost difference is the Yoko vs Michelin? I'll keep it in mind next time I purchase new tires. That could be 4 years from now. hehe

My only dilemma is that I'm not sure it's worth the extra $$ for z-rated tires. The Impala LS is too big for me to do any sharp cornering or drive in super high speed.

By the way, I recently installed the K&N filter. I"m not sure if it produced extra horsepowers, but I do notice the quick acceleration. Nice throttle reponse. Didn't hear any "whistling" when I put the peddle to the metal.

If anyone is interested in buying my old air filter, let me know. It only has 5,500 miles. Still looks new and good for another 10K miles. My e-mail address is hvan7756@aol.com. After Aug 15, I'll be cancelling AOL. Moving on to Earthlink.
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out why you would be ranting...In my post I alluded to the fact that the temperature given on the radio was the "official" temp for the city (Phoenix) and is at the airport. I am 25 miles from there and my gauge always is higher than the official temp, most times by about 4 degrees. Since the other poster said his gauge seemed like it was off by that much I found it interesting. Turns out the official temp and my temp at home are about 4 degrees off, but still correct. Can a mercury thermometer be calibrated? The two I have here both agree with my DIC...
  • Options
    Thanks, but no thanks to Yoko tires and for 49 bucks it's amazing that there are any tire companies left..

Somehow I felt you owned a foreign car; so who gets to drive the not-so-great Impala????