Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I must say that my first test drive was what impressed me the most....maybe it was because I did not expect it to be so smooth, quick, quiet, and car-like. I came out of an Expedition that I really liked, but by comparison the Ford was bouncy, stiff, loud, and more of a chore to drive (definately based on a truck and not a car).
    Now that I've finally resolved my rattle issues (and I had several)I'm getting to like my '01 XLE very much. I've had it 9 months with no mechanical problems. Sludge? I've read everything this site has to offer. Who knows but my conclusion based on reading lots of posts....change the oil religiously every 3-4k. I do that anyway so the only change I've made is I let the dealer do it....just in case. My dealer has a quick-oil change on site so it's no bother to me. Toyota has an outstanding reputation for reliability, and if they've dropped the ball on their new engines, it will surprise me (not to mention the rest of the world).
    For me, the weakest point of a Sienna is lack of personality. What that really means is everything about it is EASY....a very nonconfrontational driving experience. Everything is simple and so straight-forward, it comes off kinda plain and dull. In the long run that may also be it's best characteristic.
  • Options
    guitarzan1guitarzan1 Member Posts: 13
    Having been a Toyota customer for MANY years, I may have just bought my last. Specs:
    2001 Toyota Sienna LE - all major options sans leather.

Problems:
    1) Power Sliding door is dangerous! It opens and closes several times when you push the button, sounding the buzzer the whole time. Sometimes it decides to close completely, mostly when you catch it mid-way and force it closed. We don't use the power door anymore. I'm worried it will cut off my kids hand.
    2) Front driver and passenger doors are very difficult to open. Sometimes you practically have to yank the door handles off to get them to open. Then it finally opens with a loud pop. Door makes popping noises as you open it, and it looks like the black plastic retainer in the door jamb is loose.
    3) In reverse at low speed, all of a sudden you hear and feel a very loud "thunk" like you just ran over something... or backed into something. The first time this happened, my pregnant wife was backing out of the driveway and almost went into premature labor, thinking she just ran over a kid or something. I jumped out of the car and quickly looked to find... nothing. Van does this frequently, now. If we ever do back over a kid on a bike, we probably wont even know it. Thanks Toyota. Seriously, I never get used to it. It happens nearly every time you back up and it really feels and sounds like you struck something with the van. VERY BAD!!!
    4) Windshield is wavy and distorted in places and causes bad headaches. (Who built this van again? Chrysler?)
    5) Rearview Compass mirror has already been tightened once by the dealer. Vibrates uncontrollably. Gives you a headache if you look into it.
    6) (My wife thinks this one is funny) Don't ever drive with the sun visors unlatched in my van because they literally swing around and smack you in the head when you turn a corner. (I swear I'm going to rip them off one of these days!)
    7) Gearshift gets stuck in park. Sometimes you just cant yank it out of park without putting all your force into it. Something is seriously wrong here! Also, anyone notice that the gearshift lever just dangles there? Wiggle it once and see. Toyota couldn't invest in a $.02 bushing?

There are other problems, but I can't remember all of them right now.

Other annoyances:
    Tires: These Firestone tires are terrible! You feel every bump and hear lots of road noise especially at highway speeds. I noticed the XLE comes with a slightly larger and higher quality tire. Thanks, Toyota. $29k isn't enough cash to get me a set of tires worth more than $150?

Ok... So I've had this car about two months and I have less than two thousand miles on it. My "repair list" keeps growing every day along with my total disgust for this lemon of a van. I have written Toyota a letter requesting a replacement vehicle for this obvious mistake.

Has anyone successfully gotten Toyota to replace their Lemon?

My wife is so mad about this situation, she's trying to get me to just trade the darn thing in on a Honda and get rid of it. I'm going to give Toyota the opportunity to make us happy with this situation. I'm hopeful that they'll help me out. I don't want to be a former Toyota customer. I really like their products. ....But this van is simply ridiculous.

Please e-mail me with comments if you wish:
    guitarzan.geo@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Sounds like you either got one that fell off a truck or your wife wanted a Honda and now you're loosing the arguement! Had my '01 XLE for almost 4 months and have had absolutely none of the issues you mention. In fact, I think it's the best vehicle I've owned to date and from reading these posts I may not be alone.

Have you read your owners manual yet? The slider alarm only goes off if you have the van in gear when you are trying to open/close the doors! Ever since the Audi (non)unintended acceleration debacle have we had shift-out-of-park interlock with the brake pedal. My '96 Chrysler van didn't have this, as it's only mandated in cars (minivans are still considered trucks). It is in our Toyota, though.

If you think Hondas are so great, check out their trouble page on this site. If your still convinced to go that way, I'm sure you'll find a lot of willing buyers for your Sienna!
  • Options
    lamm9733lamm9733 Member Posts: 37
    Hopefully some helpful comments regarding your Sienna.....

1. Power door--It sounds as if there is something wrong with your power door. Our door only "buzzes" if the vehicle is not in PARK when opening and closing the door. The door reverses immediately when it contacts an "immovable" object. I have let the door close on my hand and my arm. It results in slight discomfort, but no injury. Have the dealer reset/replace the door "computer" and adjust the door as needed as others have done.

2. Have the dealer adjust the doors as necessary. Ours open and close with ease.

3. The "thunk" noise when reversing has been discussed here before and as far as I know all Siennas have it (including mine). The source of the noise is the front brake pads. There is nothing functionally wrong with them. The pads "float" in their holders (as most disc brake pads do). Their (pad) normal position is forward/down which is why there is no noise when applying the brakes going forward. But in reverse when applying the brakes the pads move to the back/upper portion of the holder causing the "thunk" noise. I do not know why it is as loud as it is (my maxima just clicks and can only be heard outside of the car), but that is the source.

4. Have the dealer replace the windshield. The windshield should be virtually distortion free. There will always be some distortion near the corners.

5. This vibration issue with the mirror may be related to the tire problem. We do not have the Firestones. What you are describing sounds like overinflated tires and/ or a tire that is not balanced properly.

6. Can't help you on the visor issue...have not experienced this one.

7. Gearshift....Make sure you are depressing the brake pedal before attempting to shift out of park. There is a brake/park shift interlock on this vehicle. If you are still having this problem, have the dealer fix this. The "wimpy" shift lever...I agree. By the way, I found the Honda's shift lever to be even worse if that is possible.

If the above comments sound patronizing, that is not my attempt. What I am trying to say is visit your local dealer. All of the individual problems appear to be minor, but all the problems combined have obviously made you very unhappy (would make me quite upset also) List your problems and ask them to correct them (all under warranty of course). It would be dealer's inability to correct the problems or lack of cooperation that would really make me upset and have me searching for a different vehicle.
  • Options
    gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Most cars come with junk for tires, almost makes me want to get the upgrade. Sounds like most of your problems can be fixed by the dealer. If the door cant get fixed get lemon law for it.
    I would be suprised if they couldnt fix all those problems. As far as backing up and the noise, dont back up.Just kidding, I have a feeling backing up is noisey normally for these new type of cars with abs.

The compass problem is kinda funny my acura has been doing that for 8 years, I never even thought about getting it fixed. It's funny I've seen a few of these problems mentioned on other brand vans as well.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    This Sienna (a 01 Loaded XLE) is my second XLE. both have never ever ever been back to the dealer for any work. I know things go wrong but I think van is well built, quiet and smooth. My 98 was nice but for 01 we get JBL, two power doors, automatic climate control, the new 210hp VVti engine, fog lights and homelink to name a few. You may decide otherwise. The sludge is not a valid argument in my opinion. It may has occurred to others .001 %? but I have become to think that use of Mobil one and 5,000 interval changes will prevent that if it could occur. Seems most folks have woes when using the quick lube places who use bulk 10w30 or whatever happens to be cheap that day. I like the product and an satisfied.
    INKY
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Ditto every comment made by Lamm9733. He/she is right on at each point.
  • Options
    pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Both Posts 1060 and 1062 are absolutely right! And the sludge issue is most assuredly not a concern. Thanks for the fresh air, you two!
  • Options
    that guitarzan1's Sienna was made by the same company that made mine.....while I've had a problem or two, they've been minor. I still maintain the biggest problem with a Sienna is it's so non-confrontational, and so beautifully easy, it comes off a little dull. I wonder if there aren't Toyota-haters using this site to stir up trouble.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. First I'd like to address Dardson1, though. Try reading through the whole message. I DON'T want to own another brand of Van, and I'm hopeful that Toyota will work with my and address the problems. I'm certainly not here to stir up trouble if that's what you're implying. If my van had one or two problems, no big deal. But looking at my ever-growing list as a whole makes me very upset that Toyota let this get out the door. It's DEFINITELY not typical of them. I know because I've been a Toyota owner since 1989 and I have no intention of owning any other van. (have also owned Honda, Mitsubishi, and Ford vehicles - none of them compare to Toyota in my opinion. My 2001 VW Beetle TDI is a peach, though! Very happy with that one!)

Honda - I don't want one and I'm going to fight my wife on this one tooth and nail. But ultimately she drives this vehicle every day and if Toyota wont make her happy with this van, we might have to go to brand "H". (Though I think I might rather like to try the Volkswagen EuroVan instead.)

Power Door - Definitely something wrong here. We've stopped using it because if you try to use it, it just opens and closes a bunch of times until it finally decides that it's closed or it's just tired and gives up in the open position. Then you have to manually force it closed. Yes, the buzzer goes off while it's doing that for some reason - even with the car in Park. It is very strange.

Shift Lever - I know about the shift lock, as does my wife. Definitely have tried taking my foot off the brake, putting it back on, shifting again - it's still very stiff sometimes. Perhaps the shift lock isn't releasing properly... Or, perhaps some moron test drove my van before I bought it and broke it or damaged it somehow...?

Brakes - the thunk is very loud and seems to be coming from the rear. I've heard the clamping noise from the front brakes and I don't think they're related. My 1996 Avalon used to have those clamping noises. They weren't any big deal.

Tires - They seem balanced. There is no vibration on the highway or anything - just lots of noise from them. The rearview mirror vibrates even at idle. The only time it doesn't vibrates is when the van is off. :-)

Windshield - the distortion starts about 10 inches from the edge of the window. Definitely not normal, and I'm not nit picking here. There are wavy spots along both sides of the windshield.

I'm making an appointment next week to take the vehicle to the dealer and talk to the Service Manager. But frankly, I'm not too happy about needing a bunch of stuff like the windshield, possibly the power door mechanism, gearshift mechanism, door handles, brake components, etc. replaced on my brand new van. I'd rather have another new van and start owner. I might entertain the idea of seeing what it will cost to upgrade to the XLE - getting a whole new van. It will probably be cost prohibitive, but at least I could ask.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments and support. You guys are great!
  • Options
    zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    i currently have 750 mi on my 01 xle. everythings good except for the "swinging" visors and some rattling noise (seems to come from the seats). will have dealer check it when they put in my spoiler.
  • Options
    ruccoloruccolo Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 99 Sienna back after spending over $800 replacing 2 Air Fuel Sensors. I have over 59K on the van so it wasn't covered under warranty. Anyone else have this problem?

Another problem.... The sliding door buttons get stuck when opening from the inside. I never noticed the problem before because I have young children and the door is always opened from the outside. One day while carrying adults both doors got stuck. Dealer said defective part and ordered new ones. Now that the parts are in they want to charge us $250 to replace them.... I think I have my own version of Child locks and refuse to pay for it until the kids are old enough to open the door themselves.

One last thing, I bought a 2001 Camry CE a month ago and have not gotten my customer satisfaction survey (the salesman was a real jerk and I can't wait to fill it out), is there anyway I can get one online?

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    We got our customer satisfaction survey about two months after we bought our 2001 Sienna. By the by, it's been great for the first 5,000 miles and a much better van than our 1996 Dodge Caravan.
  • Options
    jonkaojonkao Member Posts: 12
    At 39K miles, my 98XLE's engine check light came on. A repair shop told me an oxygen sensor was malfunctioning , according to the computer readout. I called Toyota and was told that oxygen sensor was covered 3yrs/36K only, although emission system is covered 80K miles.

Does anyone know if the answer from the Toyota representative is correct that the oxygen sensor is not covered after 3yr/36K. It will cost $100+ for the part.

Many thanks in advance.

Jon
  • Options
    chuck102chuck102 Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Sienna LE van with 54,000 miles presented with the ABS warning light on last week. The indicator light stays on continuously while driving. There is no apparent change in braking performance.
    I took the van to 2 different Toyota dealers and they both concluded that the ABS Actuator and Pump needs to be replaced. The cost of the repair will be almost $2000 and the warranty on this part expired at 36,000 miles.
    Has anyone heard of any widespread problems with this part in other Sienna vans? If so, please advise. Thanks
  • Options
    that is probably 10% (maybe more) of what the car is worth! For installing one part??!! Reinforces my idea that keeping a modern, very complicated automobile (Toyota or otherwise) beyond the warranty is a mistake....unless, maybe, you buy extended protection.....
  • Options
    hasmhasm Member Posts: 5
    On my recently purchased XLE, at ~1000 miles the low tire pressure warning light came on. There was no obvious underinflation of the tires, yet as my wife drove to work the next day, she incurred a flat (had to be told by other drivers it was flat). Tire was not fixable and replaced at dealer next day. Now, a few days later, low tire pressure warning light comes on again. Again, no obvious underinflation of the tires. When car is stopped and ignition turned off, light comes back on again but only after driving car for about 10 miles. It's been a few days now of this, and tires look fine. Is this just a bad sensor or are they fickle and need to be toyed with? I assumed they "reset" the indicator when they changed the tire. What's the precedent for this particular problem?
  • Options
    sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    Check all of your tires pressure, set to standard listed on door frame on drivers door. Reset the low pressure indicator yourself by following the directions in the owners manual. If it still comes on after that take it to the dealer.

Scott
  • Options
    Getting a headache. I kept getting quotes from dealers that say they will sell me a sienna
    under invoice. But every time I get the quote its 500-1200 over invoice. I'm even including that
    damn ad fee of 413 bucks. What the hell is wrong with toyota that they cant seem to get the
    right numbers. When you confront them with their quote and ask them to show me their
    numbers all they say is that its right and dont send me any info.. With this kinda additude why
    should I buy a Toyota. Honda is willing to sell me one no hassle. They will lose a customer
    playing these games.
  • Options
    You bet they'll sell you one, for full MSRP and any dealer add-on's they happen to want to put on the van.

Find a different Toyota dealer, in 2000 when I bought my XLE the numbers from Edmunds, CarPoint and KBB all matched the dealer.

Good Luck!

Scott
  • Options
    jimbrew80jimbrew80 Member Posts: 3
    My wife bought a Sienna 2000 in August 1999 in Seattle, so far she has approx 38,000 miles and a dead tranny. Luckily, we noticed a whinning noise and took it to the shop to have it checked. One reason we bought the Sienna was to avoid the unreliability of the Dodge/Chrysler trannys that roughly five of our friends had experienced. This was our first Toyota - but may be our last depending on how the Bend, Oregon dealer responds.
  • Options
    arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    Have you been taking your Toyota Sienna to this dealership for all it's regular maintenance? The reason I ask is that, if they know you and the vehicle, they are likely to feel somewhat responsible for not seeing this coming.
  • Options
    Isn't the tranny supposed to be serviced at 30,000 miles?

If you had this done (at Toyota or have the receipts/invoice to show that it was done somewhere else), I would guess you're 100% covered. If not, you may be on the hook.

Good Luck!

Scott
  • Options
    thewolverinethewolverine Member Posts: 111
    Sounds like the indicator just needs to be reset - if I remember correctly there's an indicator that needs to be reset each time a certain area of the Sienna is entered into - had this problem 1 mile down the road after my first oil change - brought it back - reset the sensor and back on the road in 3 minutes.

Pretty sure it was the tire pressure light but that was almost 3 years ago.
  • Options
    A while back, I presented a large list of items that were wrong with my brand new Sienna. I took the van to the dealership, and out of the list of problems, they only "fixed" the problem of the difficult to open front doors. They replaced the windshield with a worse one, and didn't address any of my other issues, included the power door that opens and closes itself 6 times before shutting down. FYI... There is a TSB on this door problem, but the dealer neglected to even perform the TSB.

Before, I was only pissed at Toyota for building a poor quality van. Now I'm pissed at the dealer, too, for their apathy and rudeness. Now, my vehicle is in worse shape than it was before. Not only do most of the problems still exist, but my new widshield is worse than the old one, there's an annoying rattle coming from the power door, and there's grease stains on my floor mats. Thanks a lot!!!

Toyota customer relations seems like they could care less. They're supposed to have someone call me. We'll see. At this point, I'm seriously re-considering my "Toyota customer" status. I'm am just so turned off of Toyota by this situation. And to think that I paid thousands more for this van than their competitors, just because I expected reliability. HA! Jokes on me I guess.
  • Options
    old_guy_in_txold_guy_in_tx Member Posts: 12
    I have a '98 (30K Miles) with dual manual sliding doors. The passenger door inside release button sticks from time to time and there is the "rattle" on both doors. Any ideas? Can I lube it with a dry lubricant or Talcum powder? By the way - it is out of warranty by a month.
  • Options
    Have you tried a different dealer? Sounds like this one is a joke!
    Did they put in Toyota glass? We picked up a rock and had the glass replaced in our Sienna and the first chunk of non-Toyota glass that our glass replacement place used was complete crap.

I had them take it out and had a different place put in the Toyota glass and it's great!

Scott
  • Options
    Question for the group... If you weigh about 160-170 and grab on to the door handle of your Sienna, leaning all the way back, putting all your weight on pulling the door handle. Will it open? (Please don't try this at home and blame me when you go flying backwards.) Mine doesn't. I would guess that 99.9% of all Siennas have doors that are easy to open by simply pulling the handle. Mine doesn't. It requires an extreme amount of force for me to get the doors open... You have to yank it so hard, you can see the metal door panel flex. Imagine my small wife trying to get into her van. Normal?

I thought the dealer had fixed this problem, but it turns out, they didn't. It's exactly the same as it was before. Sometimes it's fine, most of the time it's very very hard to open the door.

Dealer claims they tried the power door 100 times and couldn't get it to fail. I got to work and tried the power door once and it failed - not closing properly and opening and re-closing several times. Finally it closed... Or so I thought. When I went to drive home, I tried the door again. I couldn't open or close the door, even manually. Then I had to drive halfway home with the door buzzer going off. I stopped at a different Toyota dealership and showed it to the service advisor. He realized the lock was sticking and that it was trying to open or close the door not realizing it's locked. Obviously it's not closing right because the buzzer went off. If you pressed the door open button, you'd hear what sounded like a cable moving around in the door panel but nothing would happen. Normal? Such is my life with my Sienna. They should have painted it bright yellow. :)

Enough of my whining. Toyota is going to have a specialist look at it next Monday.
  • Options
    jimbrew80jimbrew80 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, we have taken it in according to Toyota's scheduled maintenance to the same dealership - never had any problems up to this point.

Regarding our tranny problem, the service manager called yesterday and said that my wife's 2000 Sienna van will be getting a brand new transmission. They also gave her a new 2001 Sienna to drive while her van is in the shop since she needed something for a trip to Seattle this week. So far, I can only praise the dealership and the service . . . Dave Holt Toyota in Bend, Oregon.
  • Options
    jimbrew80 -

Great news huh?
    I was one of the lucky ones that had the torque converter problem with my 2000 Sienna and I must say that Burnsville, MN Toyota treated me well and took care of everything is a efficient manner.

Sounds like you're getting the same, decent treatment from your dealer so I guess all isn't doom and gloom in Toyotaland.

Scott
  • Options
    cmp1cmp1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 19month old Sienna has sludge build-up in the engine. The cost to clean the engine (no parts are needed) is $6000.00. We have all our reciepts from oil changes (not done by Toyota)and
    Toyota says they will not cover the cost. Besides going to a lawyer is there anything we can do?
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Ummmm... What do you mean by sludge build up? How was this found and why are you paying $6000 to clean it? I don't think a new short block would cost more than that. None of this make even the slightest amount of sense and I have serious suspicions about the veracity of your post.
  • Options
    panarellipanarelli Member Posts: 2
    Re" #1087: $6,000 could clean up sludge at a small treatment plant. If engine is not damaged, go to a Jiffy Lube, Sears or whatever and get your engine flushed. Usually costs between $120 and $160 depending on the area. Have to agree with #1088, something fishy here.
  • Options
    panarellipanarelli Member Posts: 2
    Go to the ALLDATA web site and enroll in their Do-It-Yourself program. For about $30 bucks, you get a subscription to real information based on facts rather than innuendo, reactive feelings and exaggeration. You can get Technical Service Bulletins (TB's), recall notices, maintenance info, pricing and much more. Many people on this site are getting way too excited about problems that were solved by the manufacturer already. Do yourself a favor - get the facts first!
  • Options
    Noticed this problem in the group come up once in awhile. My 2001 has a totally different engine then the 1999,2000 I hope we dont have this kinda problem.

Anyway says in my toyota info packet that you only have to change oil every 7500 unless you tow or you are in dusty condition. Since its in the manual like that I would like to see the dealership wessle out of this. It does say if you dont change it every 7500 miles you may get sludge however. So keep good records.
  • Options
    pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Don't go there--It's a bogus complaint. The anti Toyota crowd is trying to turn up the heat again. I don't know if you've looked in on any of the M& R topics lately, but ridiculous has mutated to sublime in the past few weeks!
  • Options
    jonkaojonkao Member Posts: 12
    I can not help you with your problem. I have a 98 Sienna XLE with 42K miles. The check engine light came on. I was told that the computer code indicated an oxygen sensor failed. A new one (~$120 for the part) was put in, then the next day the check engine came on again. Same computer code, so the computer gets reset and the check engine light came on again. I was told that its the engine control unit that may be mal-functioning. I guess it would cost me mor ethan a few hundred dollars to get this problem sorted out. Today, the van failed to start after a few attempts. The idle speed was so low that the engine stalled after a few seconds. Eventually, I turned the air condition on and press down the gas paddle for a while, then I got to drive it home. It might be another few hundred dollars.
    I guess I will trade this thing in for something else, since QUALITY was why I bought this van in the first place.

Jon
  • Options
    catcher09catcher09 Member Posts: 7
    Since I been reading and notice people are having sludge problem in the engine. Have anyone thought of using or have used Synthetic Motor Oil with a Premium Oil Filter such as Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil and Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter?
    I have a 2001 Sienna LE with 1,500 miles and are planning to do my own oil change with Synthetic motor oil and premium oil filter.
    Any suggestions or commons are welcome. Thanks
  • Options
    So what division of Honda do you work in?

Sure it's possible - in 1000 oranges there's always a lemon or two.

Still, nice hearing from you again Charlene.
  • Options
    There's no need to go Mobil 1 due to the 'sludge' thing - regular oil changes will prevent sludge buildup in the vast majority of cars driven under normal conditions - based on my experience with 2 Siennas (98 and 2001).

But being performance-obsessed I'll be switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic next change - both the Toyota dealers I service through have no problem with me supplying the oil (note - performance obessed AND LAZY).

But why the Mobil filter instead of the Toyota filter - is that a requirement for using Mobil 1 syth oil? Please educate me on this if you know.
  • Options
    beckpbeckp Member Posts: 20
    I have a '98 XLE with 51,000 miles and I have been using Mobil 1 and a good filter from day one and don't have ANY troubles. If you are going to spend $30,000 on a car and then get cheap about your oil ..... please.

For the person with the $6000 flush bill, just remove your drain plug and oil cap. Then get the garden hose and stick it in, turn it up to full and let it go for 30 minutes. Everything should be fine after that.
  • Options
    jlewellingjlewelling Member Posts: 14
    My two-month old 2001 Sienna with 2K miles has been diagnosed by a psychic with sludge build-up. Toyota says it will costs $52,000 to fix it and they won't pay for it because "I'm not big enough to make them." Short of going postal, what can I do?

Gosh, I guess I should have bought another Dodge!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please take any more messages about Engine Sludge? to that discussion. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    I missed out...
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Beckp: "For the person with the $6000 flush bill, just remove your drain plug and oil cap. Then get the garden hose and stick it in, turn it up to full and let it go for 30 minutes. Everything should be fine after that"

Everything not downstream of the runoff....

Actually, the only way to remove fantasy sludge is with explosives. I suggest filling it halfway with white (camping) gas and light a match. Everything will be fine after that,depending on how fast you can run.

HiC
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Be sure to take a look at this post when you do visit the Engine Sludge? topic'

cliffy1 "Engine Sludge?" Jul 27, 2001 2:47pm

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    Jon, man.... I totally feel your pain. My question is - If Toyota isn't reliable, then who is? It's a sad day when we can't purchase a brand-new Toyota and trust that our vehicles will be problem-free. This is truly sad. I suppose I can bend over and try a Honda. At $2000 over MSRP, that's a big gamble.
  • Options
    jlewellingjlewelling Member Posts: 14
    Arghh! There is NO reliability problem with Siennas. They are great, reliable cars! The most reliable minivans made (along with the MPV). Look at the reliability surveys from J.D. Powers and Consumer Reports.

Sludge is not a problem with a Sienna that is given normal maintence (ie., regular oil changes).

The only good thing about this "sludge" rumour is that I was able to get a 2001 Sienna for about 2K cheaper than would have been the case otherwise.
  • Options
    brt1brt1 Member Posts: 7
    I own a sienna xle 2000 with 42k miles. mostly run ac so I am puzzled by premature failure of passenger power window. It goes down but does not go up. Tried drivers side switch, same results. It will go up about an inch then stops. If you wait a minute it might go up another inch. Acts like some thermal overload protection. Window does not bind going down. Any ideas I might investigate before I have dealer work on it?
  • Options
    m10411m10411 Member Posts: 2
    I brought a 2001 Sienna LE. Should I use unlead gas with Octane 87 or Octane 90 or highter as recommend by Toyota for better performance?