Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I think the 2001 Sienna gets the Toyota Avalon's more powerful engine (210 hp). And Toyota Avalon is also known for it's great reliability record.

As for VVt-i. Toyota had been using it for Lexus line for some times now (I think they invented it in the early 90's). It's really not that new of a technology, (like ABS, navigation system, stability control) it's just recently trickled down to the non-luxury market.
  • barbara9093barbara9093 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2001 XLE which comes with climate control. The air conditioning never seems to get really cold, even when you set it to 65 degrees. Was this the case on the 2000's also? Is there a fix for this?
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    The VVT-i engines are good and they can be found on the smaller Lexus models. The 3.0L V6 is the same ones found on the Lexus ES300, RX300, Avalon and now the 2001 Sienna. They are all the same 3.0L V6 but the RX300 gets a bit more horses. These engines are set-up differently for each vehicle based on the vehicle's needs but they are the same 3.0L V6. 2001 Corolla and Echo also have their own version of four cylinder VVT-i.

VVT-i is Toyota's version of V-TEC from Honda/Acura. VVT-i's have been around a long time, it's being used in Toyota's CART/NASCAR Series cars.

VVT-i will give you more power, lower emission, more torque, even idling easier to start and better performance with cold engine.

These engines are reliable but if you don't take care of them and they break down... be prepared to fork out big bucks to fix them. These engines are state of the art engines and not something you want to try and fix in your own garage!
  • cdrobertscdroberts Member Posts: 13
    My coolant level is on the low side so I was wondering about that, too. The fluid that is leaking is a golden brown (very light when it spreads out on the paper towel) and does have an
    oily texture. It looks like oil but does not smell like oil. It stained both the pillowcase and the pillow.

Actually, the clicking sound occurred several other times I tried to play a tape. Each time it ejected just fine. I decided to try once more that weekend with another tape and that is when the entire radio just cut out and even the lights don't work on it anymore. I am wondering if there is any connection between the radio problem and the leak. My husband suggested we just get a whole new stereo system with a CD player rather than have it even looked at. We're assuming that the warranty has expired on the radio - does anyone know? I really don't listen to the radio much, and would have been okay with the tape deck not working, but I do want a radio.

rward99,

The leak has produced drips onto the floor mat
    below and made a sizable spot on the pillow I was holding. However, since then I have only been able to wipe away a few drops. My kids have been sick so we haven't driven much, and with the holiday weekend I needed to wait until this coming week to make an appointment. I also have to work around my husband's work schedule 'cause I can't get over to the dealer (30 minutes away) and get both kids off to their schools, so he'll have to take the van in. Anyway, it's easier for him to have the rental - never know if the car seats will fit in a rental.

We do have another dealer but they don't do rental
    cars and we really need two cars since I'm taking
    two kids to different schools.

It really wasn't leaking anymore when I took it in
    last time so they didn't really know what they were looking for. Hopefully with the paper towel "evidence" it will help them figure it out.

Thank you both for your input. I appreciate it!

Carole
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    My guess on the radio is that the jammed tape may have blown a fuse, since not even the light comes on. I forget what your mileage is, but I would think that if you're still in the factory warranty period it should still be covered. Check with the dealer. If it's out of warranty most major stores, like Best Buy or Circuit City, offer free installation. (Personally, my experience with Toyota radios over the years is that they are probably the worst part of the whole car. I've had mine eat several tapes, particularly the children's tapes)

For the oil leak you've got me stumped. Power steering fluid can be a gold color, without much odor, but it's nowhere near your dashboard. Brake fluid has a strong smell, as do motor oil and transmission fluid. If your radiator level is low, and none of the other fluids is, it's possible that the leak is indeed coolant. But if so, then the smell on the pillow should be the same as on the coolant refill cap. Toyota coolant is red; when dirty it can be brownish. If the coolant has been replaced with another brand, like Prestone, it could be a different color. Prestone is more of a chartreuse color, which is kind of yellow-green.

If it is coolant that is leaking my guess would be the heater core. (The heater core is like a small radiator under the dash. Hot water from the engine circulates through this and a fan blows air through it which heats the inside of the car during the winter.) On my '99 the connectors to the heater core are in the engine compartment and not in the cabin, so if it's leaking then the core will have to be replaced.

Have you tried taking the pillow case to another Toyota service place just to get their opinion? You don't have to get it serviced there, but maybe they can diagnose the problem. It would really help if you could catch some of the liquid in a jar or cup instead of it being soaked on cloth or paper. I know it sounds silly, but on a long trip if you could put a pan under there and catch some of it they could most likely tell you what it is.

For a rental car, check out Enterprise Car Rental. This is how I moved away from the dealership to a private garage that I'm happier with. My spouse takes the car to the garage and Enterprise arrives at the prearranged time. No extra charge for the pick up and drop off, and their rates are very good too.

Good luck and be sure to post updates for us. I'm interested to know what the resolution is.
    Thank you for all of your insight. I will definitely ask my husband to get a new fuse while he's out and try it. The fuse does not look like it's broken, but since they are cheap it's a good idea and then we'll have spares if we ever need them for something else.

I only have 16,000 miles on the van, but I didn't know if things like the radio had a shorter warranty than major components. I had my Toyota Corolla for almost ten years and the radio and tape player worked great and I never had to replace any fuses. In fact, except for two new mufflers, I don't think I ever had either of my Toyotas in for anything but factory scheduled maintance.

Well, I washed the pillow and the case as soon as we got home, so all I have now is the paper towel. The first time I found the leak it looked brownish and was on the top of a plastic box of toys that belonged to my children. I wiped it off thinking someone dripped coke or chocolate on it. Maybe I should put that up front again!

BTW, it only seems to be leaking from the front of the bundle of wires that run to the Control box underneath the glove box. I can't feel anything toward the engine.

It seems like the fluid builds up slowly and probably only drips when there gets to be too much. There is very little on the floor mat but this started months ago. I don't know if the long trip caused it to put out so much on the pillow or what. Normally, my driving is short spurts of no more than 20 minutes at a time.

The coolant in the van is a redish color. It is right at the low mark right now. The power steering fluid does look the same, but lighter, on a paper towel.

My husband has used Enterprise many times and they are nice but I'd like to give our regular dealer one more shot and get the free rental there. If they are really stumped we'll try the other dealer - I just hate to put out all that money for a rental car.

I'll let you know what we find out. I'll call the dealer first thing Tuesday and make an appointment.

Thanks!

Carole
  • nextvannextvan Member Posts: 6
    I just read on another forum on Toyota vans that someone had the "check engine light" come on at 15 miles in their new 2001 LE. I thought that problem was just on 2000's made from May - July. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed on the 2001? I was hopeing to buy a 2001 without worrying about this problem cropping up.
  • biologicbiologic Member Posts: 8
    Test drove car on day we took delivery prior to
    payment and prep - all was fine. Made payment,
    dealer prepped car, drove off lot - check engine
    light turned on. Diagnosis returned shift solenoid code.

Vehicle is in the shop now with 15 miles on it and
    we have owned for 24 hours +/- and never drove beyond 200 ft off dealer lot. We are
    debating whether we work with them or demand
    delivery of another vehicle or money back.

The manual says that the check engine light (malfunction lamp)will illuminate, and "go off after driving several times", if the gas tank filler cap is not tightly screwed on. As part of the delivery process, the salesman filled the tank with gas. Maybe he didn't do it up tight? I didn't know about it then so I didn't check it myself. But then you'd think they'd know about that in service and check it first. Nonetheless, there's that pesky diagnostic returning the solenoid code.

I won't know if or what they want to replace until
    9/5/00 because all the first rate mechanics (that
    understand the codes) are off work until then. I'll try to help out with further posts as things
    develop.
  • cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    If true, it is almost unbelievable that the problem continues with the "Check Engine" light and the transmission! If I were you, I would *not* accept the vehicle. Just how much does the dealership know? Perhaps the light came on already in a test drive?? Was any word of caution given to you in the delivery process? Seems to me if the problems started this summer that dealerships would want to "cover" themselves for the first 2001 vans to be sold by *telling* potential owners up front. Shame, if they did not!

As my pulling problem continues and other minor (?!) annoyances creep up, I am not feeling good about the long-term reliability of the Sienna. I have seen numerous posts on SLUDGE in the engine on the '99 van in particular. Since I have not made it to the "average" mileage where this problem is noted yet, I am very much concerned.

Toyota can only hope that I don't have that problem. I am afraid if I do, I will a real thorn in its side!! Why can't I have a NEW van that performs like a NEW van?? New vehicles are NOT supposed to elicit STRESS in owners! The trend for new vehicles to have premature problems is *getting on my nerves*!! I trusted Toyota would be different from Chrysler, GM, FORD, etc. GUESS NOT!!

P.S. Could someone here affiliated with Toyota speak to the 2001 possible "Check Engine Light" and the '99 "sludge in the engine?" Thanks.

cblake@erols.com
  • rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    I've used this Town Hall to help me in the research to purchase a 2000 Sienna XLE last October. Lots of great information. Thanks all.

Coming back to the Town Hall I was surprised to see so many emails on the "check light" problem. My transmission actually failed last week with 10K miles on the Sienna. The check light didn't come on till after I got it off to the shoulder of the highway.

I was doing about 70 mph at 3000 RPMs in the fast lane when I noticed that the tachometer continued to climb to almost 6000 RPMs without any acceleration. No strange noises or smell of burning transmission fluid, just the revving of the engine while the transmission went into neutral.

As the Sienna was on the shoulder I tried shifting into all gears forward and reverse and the transmission wouldn't engage. Let the van cool down, tried it a few more times then the check light indicator came on. Called a tow truck and had it towed to a Toyota dealer 65 miles away. By the way Toyota paid for the tow charges and gave me a loaner.

Service Advisor told me they weren't sure what the problem was and were going to be replacing both the Torque Converter and Transmission. The check light code they found was, P0500 = Car Speed Sensor Malfunction. Have opened a case number with Toyota Customer Assistance because the dealer was told not to open the transmission case for a post mortem and to send it back to the factory. I'd really like to find out what caused this as I'm sure Toyota would as well.

Has this extreme situation happened to anyone else? Any tips on dealing with Toyota Customer Assistance process? Otherwise I love the Sienna and the dealership's customer service. This happened at the end of a family vacation putting over 1K miles on it in a week.
  • aloha2ualoha2u Member Posts: 1
    We just took delivery of a 2000 Sienna XLE last thursday. Today, Sunday, after only 164 miles on the odometer the check engine light came on. I'm just wondering what a can of worms this is going to be. Any advice? Thanks!
  • 1846618466 Member Posts: 46
    We love this van. Purchased it in March and we had no problems at all (9300 miles). It has been very reliable. Maybe some of you had some problems but I just want to provide some positive feedback.
  • jmsimsjmsims Member Posts: 14
    Aloha to you too! Recommend having the dealer service dept hook up an OBD-II scanner to your vehicle's diagnostic port to find out what the actual problem is. A check engine light can be due to a lot of different things. Ask them for the actual error code. Hope it's not a P0770.
  • skwillbskwillb Member Posts: 3
    A good friend of mine has a 94 Previa with 105000 miles on it. Just had to have the transmission rebuilt today. She was told she should get rid of it because this is an indicator of problems to come. Investing $1200 in a car with over 100,000 miles on it does not seem like a good deal. I have friends that have older Previas with more mileage than she has on hers and nary a peep out of it. Switches and stuff breaking, sure, but not transmissions. I had an 84 Camry that had the transmission go out at 47,000 and did not replace it - traded that puppy in. Felt it was not a good investment on my money. My friend wanted to look at a Sienna and I reviewed this site - makes me wonder if I should offer her my opinions. Anyone that says they've purchased a car in March and have 9300 miles on it without a problem and it's now September (posting was from end of August) doesn't drive too much. We average 2500 miles per month on our vehicles down here. That is average.
  • lynne29lynne29 Member Posts: 46
    We bought our 2000 Sienna LE on January 7, 2000. Now have 23,170 miles on it. (that is more like it huh, skwillb) We love it and are thrilled. NO problems at all so far, but I feel bad for those who are experiencing problems.

The van is not really roomy, we would say it's a more intimate vehicle, which is what we like. We spend a lot of time playing car/questioning games with the children and we don't have to speak loud or turn around so they can hear the questions, even if they're in the back row.

We had a 93 Previa. In comparison, the Sienna has less room but a better car-like drive, with more creature comforts and features.

I like the way the rear seat moves forward on the 2001 and we really have become dependent on the power door.
    See post #173 this topic.

Dealer says his #1 mechanic contacted Toyota. Toyota claims the solenoid code is a "fluke", that is, they have not seen this on 2001s.

Dealership has agreed to provide a different vehicle as soon as delivered (7 to 10 days).

If I learn more that would help buyers of 2001s, I'll post.
  • val20val20 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently considered buying a mini-van and in particular, a foreign one. I liked the look of the Sienna and the 2001 additions. But, after hearing about the common problems, I am rethinking my choice. Thanks to all of you for being so honest about your experiences, this is truely a helpful website.
    val20 - Perhaps you should consider the number of Sienna (or any other vehicle) on the road and the percentage with problems. Unfortunately, a hard to get at number. Nonetheless, this forum is a very very small percentage of owners - who happen to bother to be vocal.

I agree wholeheartedly that this site is very helpful and the knowledge of issues/problems that it helps to provide is great to have. Makes one an informed shopper. Still, I'd guess there isn't a car on the road that couldn't be made to appear a lemon even if only 0.1% of owners posted tales of problems say, 50 out of 50,000 owners. Who knows how many Siennas are on the road? Anyone?
    Well, I tried to change the fuse and it had no effect. Then I looked back in the book to make sure I had the right one and saw it said Radio No. 2 so I looked back a page and found there was another radio fuse in the engine compartment. I tried to replace that one and it sparked and blew as I was putting it in. I had the car on at that point - should I have turned it off before doing this? I asked my husband to bring home new fuses (I only had one) and the ones he brought home were too big. So, I think we're just going to turn it over to the dealer.

No more leaks onto the floor under the glove box but I put aluminum foil under there to catch any.

Carole
  • 1846618466 Member Posts: 46
    If people are so concerned about the torque converter problem and are thinking about turning away from purchasing a Sienna well think again. Look at some of the other posts on problems with other manufactures vans. The problem with the torque converter appears to be with only vans made in the summer. All vehicles have problems. The trick is to find the one with the least problems.
  • eomeom Member Posts: 8
    Subject site can be viewed at: <<A HREF="http://hammer.prohosting.com/~toybhr/msgboard.html">http://hammer.prohosting.com/~toybhr/msgboard.html&gt;

The gentleman managing site deserves more viewers and postings. Please consider giving it a try.

Ed
  • readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    Although some of the 2000 Sienna's do/did have T/C problems it would be best for those considering a purchase to read other mini-van postings AND test drive those that they deem comparable. Read about the horror stories and the ongoing problems with many if not all of the other mini-vans. We test drove every other mini-van other than the Honda Odyssey which wasn't even available at 2 dealers and chose the Sienna which was purchased 7/00.

Yes, our check engine light came on soon after purchase, was replaced in 4 days. We had a brand new fully loaded Sienna as a loaner while ours was repaired, Toyota/the dealer handling the situation to my satisfaction. Since then have put 2700 miles on it and no problems. This vehicle is a pleasure to drive. I strongly recommend the purchase of the Sienna, especially to those with children!
  • esc1esc1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced problems with excessively noisy power windows? (I have brand new Sienna LE). My Toyota dealer says he's never experienced such a problem. His first effort at solving it was a total failure (that is, made problem worse).
  • pzhaopzhao Member Posts: 2
    How should I know when the van was made? Thanks.
  • pzhaopzhao Member Posts: 2
    How should I know when the van was mad? Thanks.
  • rbg1rbg1 Member Posts: 8
    I believe what you are seeing actually IS an oil leak. Please check out archived topic #808 (Problems with Toyota Sienna Van), and see posting numbers 134 and 136, relating to a "porous camshaft sensor." The camshaft sensor is a small part with a black plastic shell, fastened to the front right of the engine block. The above postings alerted me to the fact that it is common for oil to seep out of this part and stain the front of the Sienna's engine block.

Based on the information in the above postings, I had thought that this was merely a cosmetic problem, but we were about to drive across country, so I called the dealer's service department to confirm this. However, according to the technician, after this leak has been present for a while, the oil can start to migrate along various wires into the "brains" of the vehicle, from where he has seen it drip down onto the feet of the front passenger. Even though your leaked oil may no longer smell like oil, you should investigate this possible cause. (For starters, take a look at the front right of your engine, and see whether it is stained with oil. The stain is rather subtle, so I suggest that you use a flashlight.) The fact that your drip seems to be traveling along wires is consistent with the above explanation.

The good news is that the repair takes Toyota less than an hour. We just drove our 2000 Sienna CE on a 4300 mile trip, and there was no evidence of any further oil leakage.

Good luck, and please let us know the dealer's diagnosis of your problem.
    Carole, if there was enough spark to blow that fuse then most likely there is a short in the radio. It needs to be repaired/replaced. I would assume that it would be covered by the warranty. Don't bother with it anymore.

I would let the dealership also investigate the oil leak. I think you've done about all you can. Sorry you're having the problems and I hope it works out.
  • flagmanflagman Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2000 LE in April and have about 4500 miles on it. Lately the driver's side sliding door sticks shut and is hard to open from the outside without forcefully pulling on it. Has this been a common problem with the Siennas and is there a Technical Service Bulletin or a fix for it?
  • johnzhang1johnzhang1 Member Posts: 2
    I have seen so many posts concerning the check engine light problem. It is like reading my own experience. We bought our Sienna 2000 CE in July and the light came on at ~200 miles. The dealer is changing the torque converter today and to do that they have to remove the transmission first, so it's a two day job. When I was talking to the technician at the dealership I got a peek at their work order and discovered that a number of other Siennas were being fixed for the same problem. According to the technician, what happened was that the Toyota plant used wrong converter for some time this year, so a lot of Siennas are having this problem. If this is the case, I think the Toyota company should fixed those cars first and sell them as refurbished cars. So basically we paid new car price and got refurbished product (you can only call it refurbished after your dealer fixes your car). I just called the Toyota's costumer service in CA and was told that there is no documentation of this problem. So I asked them to document mine and they did. If you have this problem or other problems, please call them to document. Numbers will count. I really feel that we deserve some compensation other than just having our cars fixed by the dealer, who knows what's going to happen down the road. If I knew what I know now, I would not have bought a Sienna.
  • sienna00sienna00 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Sienna XLE, I haven't had any "Check Engine" light problems so far and I have over 20K miles on it. What i'm really worried about are the tires. I have 16in. Firestone Affinity's. I learned from this site that they don't hold the road very well on wet surfaces, I'd like to know which tires would be better. Also, i've had some problems with the keyless entry. And it is true the power door does stick a little. Other than that i haven't had any other problems.
  • johnzhang1johnzhang1 Member Posts: 2
    I heard that only the vans made during some months this year (starting March or so) have the converter problem. Yours may be made before that.
    If you want good tires, go for Michelin. Dunlops and Firestones are both crappy tires. Very slippery when wet. Pay a bit more and get the Michelins.
  • cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    You mentioned the refurbished aspect of your new van. Indeed, the resale value of your van has been affected. Don't expect Toyota to take responsibility for that EVEN if it SHOULD. Chances are a class action lawsuit will be necessary down the road for that aspect to be considered. Most automakers minimize the problem when possible OR they attempt to blame the owner. In this case, it would be far-fetched to blame the owner.

Documenting only with Toyota will not get you very far, I am sorry to say. You need to notify the Center for Auto Safety and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as well as the Federal Trade Commission which covers transmission defect issues.

I find it odd that Toyota told you that there was no record of this problem when in fact, it knows about the problem fully. Denial is the number one defense of an automaker.

I am watching the development of the recent problems (e.g. Check Engine Light, sludge in the engine, and steering/suspension/alignment) closely and will continue to do so as long as I own the '99 Sienna CE. Far too many quality problems have surfaced far too early!! I am disappointed, and like you, I am wishing I had not opted for the Sienna now.

No, I would not have gotten a Chrysler or FORD product. Yes, some manufacturers are producing scores of lemons. Still, that doesn't make Toyota's issues OK in comparison. Some people equate Toyota with quality. This is changing based on posts about later model Toyota vehicles. I wish it weren't true......

P.S. re: #197...The Michelin replacements for my original Dunlops have done little to correct or even minimize the constant pulling in my van. If anything, I now think the pull is worse!!

cblake@erols.com
  • angel18angel18 Member Posts: 8
    I test drove a new 2001 Sienna LE this morning. It had 5 miles on it. I tried to start the engine. I turned the key one time and wait.. Then BEFORE I turned the key all the way to start the engine, I heard a strange noise in front in the engine. It sounds like something or air gets sucked in. This happened only one time.

Then I turned the key pulled it out and started again. Turn one time and the sucking noise came out again before the engine start. The salesman said it was normal. I checked every Sienna LE and they were the same, but not on XLE model.

Does anyone know what it is. Does it have something to do with VVTi technoloy or converter problem ? Please advice. Thanks.
  • brentg1brentg1 Member Posts: 10
    The short buzzing sound heard immediately after starting the engine (or turning the key to the ON position) is the ABS self-check. Perfectly normal and documented in the owners manual.
  • beckpbeckp Member Posts: 20
    Michelin's are a good tire but they too over the years have had the "feel slippery" in wet conditiond rap. I've been using the Goodyear Eagle Aquatread for years as the first replacement upgrade. The aquatread isn't a gimmick, you can definatly feel the difference. Goodyears are high priced though. Just my two cents worth.
  • readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    I drove our new Sienna with Michelin's through some terrible rainstorms on a recent trip to Atlanta and it handled like a charm, no problems at all. The only quirk I noticed is that the van pulled to one side on roads that were pitched. In other words, if driving 60 mph in the left lane the steering wheel had a tendency to pull to the left. On roads that had no pitch this did not happen.
    When purchasing tires look at their ratings: temperature, traction and treadwear. Try to get tires that are rated "A" in each area AND by all means stay away from Firestone's.....
    The loud sucking noise you hear is a systems check for the ABS system. If you turn the key fast and start the engine, you may not hear it coz' the engine sound drowns out the buzzing sound. If you are stepping on the brakes when you start the engine, you will not hear this until you let go of the brake pedal.
    To Brentg1 and Beprox, (#200,#203)

Thanx for responding to my message/question promptly. I don't read the manual therefore I don't know.

One more question, the cargo door in the back is easy to open, but when I tried to close it, I have to smash it with all my strength so it can be closed properly. I think this is a defective one. Don't you think so ?
  • dotty57dotty57 Member Posts: 5
    I ask that everyone wish me luck. I'm bringing my Sienna in on Monday to have the torque converter replaced.

This morning, I called the national Toyota customer service number and asked what kind of additional warranty they were offering us poor unfortunate owners.

They offered me a (free) extended 6 year, 75,000 mile warranty. I'm happy to have it, but sure hope I don't have to use it.
    Just saw your message and guess what - Toyota figured that out by themselves this time. I think having the towel with the fluid on it may have helped. Anyway, we brought it to the dealer yesterday and they told my husband there was a leak in the seal to the camshaft. They are replacing the seal and the wire harness. I will go back and read the messages you indicated just to make sure it's the same thing.

Carole
    The car is at the dealer now (see above about leak) but it's ready to be picked up today. They asked yesterday if someone stuck something in it - I was half afraid they'd find a quarter or something in there. But they called and said they can't get the tape out and are just going to order a whole new radio - I don't think they even want to bother to find out what is wrong with it.

Carole
    Whoops, I forgot to say thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to point me to the right topic and message numbers. I really appreciate it.

Carole
  • rbg1rbg1 Member Posts: 8
    You're quite welcome. I, myself, have learned so much from reading other people's experiences in these Edmunds discussions. So I'm glad to be able to help someone else.

We bought our 2000 CE in August of last year, and have had no problem other than the leak around the camshaft sensor (although the power locks now seem to be behaving erratically; we're keeping an eye on this potential problem). We just drove the van on a cross-country vacation with our four kids (aged 10 months to just under 10 years), with all the luggage and baby gear you can imagine. The van drove very smoothly, with plenty of power, and handled great, and we had enough room for all our stuff. (We do not use a roof rack, so we were packed to the ceiling both in the cargo area and in the open area next to the 2nd row bench seat. We had to partially unpack every time the kids needed to get out for a food or bathroom stop!) We were in Texas, where the temperature reached 109, and the air conditioning worked perfectly to keep the van comfortable in the front and back.

Although we've been very satisfied with the van (mostly driven by my wife), I must say that I'm appalled by the torque converter problem that I've been reading about in some of the more recent 2000 (and 2001?) Siennas. I feel very bad for the people who are experiencing this problem. If it were me, I'd be worried about latent wear/damage to the transmission, which might not manifest itself until the van is off warranty. Although the Sienna is a rock-solid, well-designed van (and I thought my CE also was an excellent value at less than $23,000, including running boards), if I were in the market right now I would wait until Toyota clearly has this problem resolved.

(Sorry to provide so many unrelated observations here, but I don't post very often, so I wanted to make sure I covered everything.) Good luck with your van!
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    With all of the discussion about torque converter problems, I wonder if there is a mechanic out there who could explain what a tc does (I assume it transfers power from the engine to the drive wheels?), where it is located on the Sienna, and how big of a deal it is to replace? I'm sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but I haven't seen it. Thanks.
  • siennadriversiennadriver Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 Sienna XLE and found I had the same problem the first day with my cargo door. The salesman said it takes a good hard shove to close it and to try that and see if it would loosen up over time. Well, after about two days it's not a problem at all. Either the door mechanism loosens up a bit or you learn the right way to close it. Which is this -- when the door is almost closed, just give it a good final push with two hands. That works better than trying to slam it when it's still two feet away from the body of the car. The air pressure in those tubes that support it to keep the lid up work against you if you try to slam it closed that way.
  • bwilliams4bwilliams4 Member Posts: 4
    I mean the A/c vent for the seat behind the driver
  • bwilliams4bwilliams4 Member Posts: 4
    anybody else have this issue with the vent below the driver seat not blosing as much air as the other vents?
    I have a '99 and I noticed that the heater puts out the hot air from the vent below the driver and front passenger seats while the a/c puts it out from the vents in the roof. All of the vents seem to put out a good deal of air. It doesn't take long to cool down the whole van even after it's been sitting in the sun for a while. I haven't had it in winter so I can't tell you if the heater performs as well.

I will say that my last van, many years ago, was an '82 GMC Vandura. It had only front air/heat and would take forever to heat/cool the rear seat area. This is a tremendous improvement over those days.
    THanks for the advice, Siennadriver (#211). I have tried it many times and there is no improvement. The cargo door is still hard to close. I went to a dealership today. The salesman told me that all 2001 model have the same cargo door problem. He knew this when one of the 2001 Sienna cargo door was not closed properly. Because it was a new car, he tried to close gently. He tried more than five attempts and failed. Finally the cargo door closed after a big slam. He said this is different from new 2000 model and he was surprised.

Another Sienna problem is it is not a balance minivan. I stood about 15 away from the back of the van and I noticed that the van is slightly higher on the right side. At first, I thought the ground was not straight or something wrong with my eyes, but I was wrong. I measured the length from the ground to the van body on the real tires. I was surprised that there is about half an inch different between right and left side. Half an inch is a lot. It tells you somehow left side is heavier that right ( from back scene, NOT front). I don't know if this problem occurs on my car only or the others as well. Please let me know. Tomorrow I will go back to the dealership and measure the Sienna one by one. I'll post the results.