Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    My ECB nudge bar saved my front fascia (I hesitate to call it a "bumper") several times out at Moab, and the scrapes on the bar proclaim my Troop to be a gin-u-wine off-road vehicle :-)

And, I won a pair of very nice IPF driving lights at the raffle (donated by ARB, thanks guys), which will find a home on top of my nudge bar (as soon as I figure out the directions, which are all in Japanese)!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Glad to hear the ECB worked out! :) Send pics!

-mike
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I'll send some soon. The guy who rode out to Moab with me, Ryan, took about 150 digital pics...I'll send a few good ones along after I sort through them...
  • Options
    fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    I received the Isuzu black side steps yesterday that I ordered from St Charles last week. It took a little over a hour to install without using any lift for the Trooper. Kids love them.
  • Options
    john303john303 Member Posts: 14
    Im having a problem with my 5 month old Sony CD/tuner head unit not rejecting CD's. i read the manual and it states that the CD player will malfunction @ 120 degrees. But mine is malfunctioning being exposed to the warm temps of summer (90 to 100).

I have noticed tha the dash gets so hot you cant touch it. So does the detachable face on the CD/tuner. Other than a windshield reflector, what are you guys using to keep the heat off the dash and your head units.
  • Options
    Dunno, I've had my truck parked in 100+ temps here in NYC last summer. Never had a problem with the stock unit. I did however this past fall have the front windows tinted to 35%, and usually put a reflector in the front window when it gets warm out. The price you pay for the huge "tour bus"-like windows we have.

-mike
  • Options
    gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Has anyone installed window vent visors on their Trooper? If so what brand did you use or should you have used?
  • Options
    justdrivinjustdrivin Member Posts: 17
    gtroop,
    I just installed Ventshades brand visors. I went to their web-site, ventshades.com(?), and I believe I ordered them right there. They were about 55.00 with shipping, all 4 windows. They look great.You do have to loosen the outside cover where the side mirror is to get the front edge under it. This involves popping the inside cover, where the tiny speaker is, to get to the screws. No big deal...30-60 minute install.
  • Options
    So, there is no adhesive tape in contact with the paint or chrome window trim?
  • Options
    justdrivinjustdrivin Member Posts: 17
    gtroop, there is definitely adhesive tape involved. Along the whole upper edge of the visor, from one end to the other. It sticks to the area just above the rubber molding of the window. Make sure you have it positioned right before you apply it...it dosen't move after application.
  • Options
    conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    Which steps did you get? I know there are two(mabye three models) running board, black/chrome steps. Did they mount to the body or to the frame? If it is to the frame, can you take some pictures of it? I am thinking on steps too but I am looking for frame mounted ones. Waag makes them frame mounted. Thanks.

Regards,
    Con
  • Options
    Weathertech.com (MacNeil) has side vents that don't use tape. I had them on my car and they work great and are thicker material than the ventvisor models plus the plastic is easier to see through. A little bit more expensive but worth it plus no tape as it fits in the window rail. A 5 minute install job on my car. I am going to order them for my Trooper soon(when I get more $$).

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    I was debating between whether or not to spend the extra $$ on the weathertechs or go with the ventshades. The answer is clear now, I'll go with the weathertech since there is adhesive on the ventshade brand. Thanks again.
  • Options
    fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    I got the black tubes from Isuzu. They attach to the body, not the frame. Cost $317 from St Charles.
  • Options
    pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    Another vendor for tube side steps frame mounted(2 sections...1st section bolts to frame then its bolted to main bar) is MANIK.
    similar to this one(for passport/rodeo) image
    http://www.manik.com/products/isuzu.asp
  • Options
    Hey,
    I saw the posts before but just want to see what everyone has.

I think I am leaning towards the Lund Interceptor cause it appears to use the factory bolt holes(no drill) plus it sits off of the hood so you can get under it to clean it and wax it. I checked a couple of sites but all of them did not have the Trooper model listed.

Did everyone get Smoked as I am thinking about the clear one. Anyone use a clear one before?

Thanks,
    Con

P.S. Funny thing is that Weather tech sells them too but unlike their side vents, their bug guards are tape mounted. Strange.
  • Options
    The Weather tech vents almost looked and felt like sunglasses material but thicker and held up well so far (2years).

I have seen those steps that mount to the body and they look great. I might off-road a little so I want frame mounted ones. I called manik once for a question on my Sidekick and they had terrible salesperson that turned me off of them. I think their bars are better than WAAG but because of that, I won't deal with them. When I bought bars for my Mom's Explorer, I bought WAAG(Waag is cheaper too).

You have good customer service, I will buy.

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    Not to sound like a party pooper, but let's try to support the guys who support Isuzu stuff. Matt is an independent, and he's willing to work with you (tube sides etc) on whatever design you want. Give him a call. http://independent4x.com

-mike

• Options
    I agree too. I just got an email from him and he will be doing some custom work for my neighbors Trooper. I might get some steps made by him too. Will keep you posted.

Con
  • Options
    crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    Matt's building my rocker blockers today! Woo Hoo! I decided to go with the weld on type after all.

-Sue
  • Options
    And he'll be at my house next wed, to ensure they fit on my truck before he ships them to you. :) I spoke to him this morning and we had to work out some logistics so he could come test em out. I'd let him do it this weekend, but I'll be up in the mts.

-mike
  • Options
    duktrooperduktrooper Member Posts: 78
    Pls take some digital pics if you can to post once you test mount Crunchy's bars. I'm real interested in same configuration and would like to see them. Might want to get some in time for Uwharrie. Thanks.
  • Options
    In July?

It's gonna be a blast. So far we have about 5 trucks from the NE coming.

-mike
  • Options
    ricksrlricksrl Member Posts: 17
    Just took the plunge and ordered the front and rear shields for my 2000 Trooper. $95 with the shipping, but not having to use the tape to hold them on sold me.
    Lots of trouble-free Ventshades out there, but the tape thing was holding me back!
    Also, getting the rear door, quarter, and rear door windows tinted soon. I was quoted $240 locally. Sound fair?

Rick
    Harrisburg, Pa
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    They look pretty cool. If I were going to add steps I would definitely like to find ones that bolt to the frame.
  • Options
    guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Rick, I had my windows tinted for $175. This is in Cheyenne Wyoming. Great tint, SUN-GARD, lifetime warranty against peeling, cracking, adhesive failure, fading, and change in color.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Rick - I had my 2000 Trooper S tinted for $199 with their best stuff w/lifetime guarantee. They told me I got it at a reduced price since my daughter knew the owner. Who knows? I know there are several grades of tinting and if you're keeping the Trooper for a while I would go with the best they have. $240 sounds in the ballpark, but you might be able to do better if you shop around. I got mine done in Ft Worth, Tx.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I guess it depends on the area. In FL, I could get a SUV tinted for around $100 bucks. In NY, around $180(plus tip) or so. $240 sounds high but if they do a good job, well worth it. Look at how good they do with other cars(older the better to check quality). I like tinters who can tint all the way to the ends of the window as some only tint to the frame so when you roll the window down you see the tint line. Also get one who can hide the tint cut lines in the rear defroster line so it looks factory. Good Luck.

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    $75 for the driver and passenger front-side windows last year. Excellent quality, here in NYC.

-mike
  • Options
    pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    Calmini finally released their version:
    For more info goto http://www.pureisuzu.com/nurf_bars2.htm

new steel bumper as well
  • Options
    Guess we'll have to see how customer service works. I've had poor service from calmini the one time I tried to order from them.

-mike
  • Options
    jcmccants3jcmccants3 Member Posts: 8
    Hello, everyone! Was in the market for a trailer hitch/ towing package. Wanted to know what brand you guys might suggest and price range (sites to order from). Also, are they hard to install? Thanks for all the help.
    Cheers,
    Jack
  • Options
    There are no "trailer packages" for the Isuzus, basically they are ready to go out of the box. Just add a hitch and wiring harness (they are pre-wired) and you are good to go. I like the hidden-hitch brand. You can see pics on http://isuzu-suvs.com and there are vendors listed there for all kinds of things. Welcome to the Owner's club!

-mike

• Options
    They are also very easy to install. 2 guys w/o much mechanical experience did my trooper in about 1hr. maybe a little less.

-mike
  • Options
    Mike, Thanks for the info! In the future it Might help if I mention what the hell I need the hitch for, a 2001 LS Rodeo! Sorry and Thanks again.
    Jack
  • Options
    Hi,
    I just ordered a Hidden Hitch from JCWhitney.com for $119 for my 2001 Trooper and the light kit was about $27 also. HH seems to be a good hitch. For more money, the Uhaul ones seem nice and they have the round tube ones for your Rodeo(I think HH has them too) The advantage of the HH hitch is that they try to hide the hitch in most aplications(Trooper is hidden) but the Rodeo with the under floor spare makes the hitch more exposed. So if I had a Rodeo, I would look for a round "look" hitch.

I just received mine today so I will try to take some pics of the install and post them.

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    Mark,
    Thanks for the info. I do have the Rodeo with the spare underneath. Hopefully that will not cause too much of a hassle. Should I go for Class II or III?
    Cheers,
    Jack
  • Options
    jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I had a Class III hitch, round tube-type, installed at U-Haul for $119.95 plus tax. I have a 2001 Rodeo LS as well, with the spare underneath. They even included the ball mount and ball for that price! However, on the wiring, I ordered a "T-One" connector thru a vendor on Paizan's webpage, Drawtite, which you just plug in to your wiring harness, for $45.90 plus shipping. (I am waiting on UPS delivery on this item as of today).

You might as well go for the Class III hitch as the cost is about the same, and you never know when you might need the extra capacity.
  • Options
    Class II hitches usually have the smaller hitch receiver, which would limit the accessories you can put on it such as the rear bar protector, basket, bike rack, etc. which generally come in the 2"x2" receiver variety.

-mike
  • Options
    catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Lund bug shield doesnt list a bug guard for a 2001 Trooper. They told me they have one for a 2000 model. Have the body stiles changed for the 2001. If not, I will order one for a 2000 and hope it fits. J. C. Whitney sent me one for a 97, and it doesnt look like it will bolt up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    '98-01 they changed the 2 front fenders, the hood(where the bug guard attaches), and the nose piece. But '98-01 are all the same, so if you order one for '00 it'll go on an '01. Also '02 will be the same as '01 if my sources are correct.

-mike
  • Options
    That is a great price for the hitch plus the ball mount and ball makes it cheaper than the HH as the HH only comes as the hitch(Plus Uhaul installed it!). The ball and ball mount are about $8 for the ball and $20 for the ball mount plus $15 for a locking pin.

Plus the Uhaul is round tube which looks good. Go for the Class III too.

Regards,
    Con
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Just installed my hitch with the help of my neighbor. It took us about 10 minutes to install. you have to take the tow hook off on the pass. side and the "shipping" ring/hook off of the driver side. No drilling on my 2001 Trooper. Two bolts on the driver and three on the passenger side.

Only reason you need two people is to help line up the bolts. If you have a jack, that would probably make it a one person job.

I cleaned up the bolts and frame with WD40 and used LockTite to make sure the bolts don't backout but since it did have lock washers, overkill. I took some 35mm pics so I will post them when I get them scanned.

Regards,
    Con
  • Options
    Yeah that's a great price for the U-haul Class III Tube hitch. I probably would have gotten a tube one but no-one made them for the Trooper. The hidden hitch on the Trooper is also nice and hidden. I'd go for the U-haul for the Rodeo if I were you.

-mike
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Just an update. The HH harness came in the mail today. It is made by Hoppy and rebadged as HH I guess as the intructions say Hoppy. It was a 2minute job as the hardest thing was figuring out where to zip tie it. So easy and only 27 bucks from JCW.

Pics coming soon.

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Hi,

Does anyone remember the discussion awhile back where someone installed some manual locking front hubs for the Trooper? I'd like to know the brand and where to call for them.

Thanks.
  • Options
    gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I also used that one. I zipped tied it to the frame away from the muffler. I zip tied the wire up so it is unseen and the plug sits right behind the hole on the left side of the receiver. I think its messy to see the wires dangling on some of these trucks.
  • Options
    radman6radman6 Member Posts: 81
    I picked up my Hidden Hitch a week ago and finally had some time to install it this evening. I moved the tow hook to the front and took the tie down off the drivers side. When I was installing the hitch I noticed it had a pretty lousy paint job and had lots of scuffs, scratches etc. From previous experiences I knew it would be rusty within a year and I can't stand rust on my vehicles. So instead of installing it this evening I cleaned it up with paint thinner and painted it with a leftover can of black Rustoleum paint. I masked all the labels before painting. If the paint on your hitch is marginal like mine was you might consider doing the same. It's way easier to do when it's new, rather than to wait until it's rusty. Same goes for nerf bars, brush guards, etc. The best ones are powder painted and shipped in something that protects the paint.

Also, if you don't have a helper, it's possible to install this hitch by yourself. Just lay on your back and press it up into place against the frame. You can hold the opposite end up with your knee while you're putting a bolt in the side closest to you. Once you have one bolt started you can move to the other side and start the next one. Not really too difficult to do.
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any pics of a Hidden Hitch or other trailer hitch. This is something I'd like to add to my 98 Trooper, but I want a clean, unobtrusive look. If anybody has pics of their trailer hitch on their newer Trooper, post 'em! Thanks.
  • Options
    Hey Blue,

On the http://isuzu-suvs.com/howto/index.html Bike-rack section there is a good shot of the HH on a newer trooper. I really need to get myself a digital camera one of these days.

-mike

This discussion has been closed.