Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    dealer name is allowed, but salesman names are NOT ALLOWED. Please review the top of the page.
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    No salesman names, review top of page. Thanks,
  • Options
    vanquestvanquest Member Posts: 14
    thanks for the advice. i've got a bid a bit below invoice on an ex-l, but seems that others are getting them for substantially below invoice. this is going to require a trip to the dealership isn't it?
    any thoughts?
  • Options
    larryhstanglarryhstang Member Posts: 10
    To anyone who is interested:

27500 is the invoice for Oddy EX-L RES
    now with 500 deal cash and 900 holdback (3% of MSRP), the real invoice is around 26100

Here is what I did:

I sent out several e-mail requests to dealers in this area (only in MD), and then I received several responses. After some negociation, the lowest quote I got is from Honda of Bowie - 26,100 (I have all e-mails from them to show they agreed this number).

Then, I tried O'Donnell Honda, because my friend already bought an Oddy EX-L here last January for 27.5K, which was a very good price back then. They said they would beat any deal. I just showed them the e-mails, and we closed our deal in minutes. No games, no people who would try to sell you the protection or extended warranty. This car buying experience is one of the best.

O'Donnell Honda , Honda of Bowie and Sports Honda in Silver Spriing were all very helpful. There are some other dealers who like to play games, and I do not want to name their names.

The one I got already has 44 miles on it (or I could choose another different color one which has 32 miles). I would not complain it because I already got a very good price. However, I just want to ask how many miles are acceptable for a new car/van? Is 44 miles a little bit high?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    IT's not right to deduct holdback and call that the "real" invoice since holdback isn't profit.

A topic that has literally been beat to death...I won't go there again.

If you want to do that, you'll need to deduct that Odysssey's share of the tremendous overhead it takes to open the doors of a dealership.

That said...for the bargain hunters, there are a lot of great deals to be had. Those who wait to long, trying to wring the last buck out of the deal may find their choices limited as supplies get picked over!
  • Options
    claraclara Member Posts: 17
    Sounds great. I am in Maryland suburbs. I am probably going this weekend to buy but now I don't know about wether to get leather. I got previous quote for EX-RES for 24,700(includes destination and fees). I never considered leather because I thought it was out of my price range but Larryhtang got a very reasonable price. Is it good for a family with three young boys and one on the way? Can it handle carseats without getting really damaged? Is there a way to prevent damage? Please give me your input.
  • Options
    Just noticed that I did not see destination charge was that included in the 26,000? Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    ogggn1ogggn1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a white EXL-RES from O'Donnell Honda on Rt 40 in Ellicott City last saturday as well. My price of 26,130 did not include the destination charge. The buying experience was the best so far and I told the salesman that I'll see him in a year or 2 for an 05' Ody. They have so many Odysseys there. If you are not restricted by color, you'll get a great deal and great buying experience. Try to avoid Orisman's Honda at Laurel, period.

I like the leather based on preior experience. My infant boy tends to throw up in the car and the leather was great. You can just wipe them up (I don't know what am I going to do if we had cloth seat -- the stains, smell, etc..).
  • Options
    Yes, the 490 destination charge is included.

Actually, O'Donnell Honda would only agree on 26,200 before I showed them the e-mail from Honda of Bowie. Their sales manager sat down with me and did the math which I showed in my first post. He showed me 26090 is his "REAL" cost on the van.

I don't think he will agree on 26K again if you do not have proof from other dealers. However, I think you should easily settle for 26200 (about 100 over his real cost).

If you have kids, I would recommend the leather seat, but not if you have pets.

Good luck for your new van.
  • Options
    Wow, 26,000 included destination charges. You got a good deal! I don't have any pets. So maybe I will look into the leather. Do the children's carseats do anything to the leather? What colors did they have left when you bought?
  • Options
    I believe they still have two other red, 3 Seige, a midnight blue, several sandstone and a white one. I think that's it. It's a pity that they do not have any "light blue" left. As far as I know, only Criswell in Germantown has some "light blue" left. No other dealers that I know of have this color.

Like I said, if you can show them you are able to get a good price from other dealers, I think they will definitely match or beat the competitors. In fact, the internet sales from Honda of Bowie said they would definitely match the price I got from O'Donnell.

My suggestion to you is that try to get one dealer to agree on 26250 (or so). Show the e-mail to another dealer and ask them to beat the price. I'm sure you can find a similar deal.

Good luck!
  • Options
    sageodysageody Member Posts: 3
    Just leased EX-RES for $309, 24m/30k, TTL(IL charges 6.75% tax on cap cost of $24,000),
    0 down, splash guards, wheel locks, & cargo tray.
  • Options
    my3boysmy3boys Member Posts: 6
    What was bad about the Ourisman Laurel experience? I have a quote from there that seems great over the phone.
  • Options
    missstatefanmissstatefan Member Posts: 10
    If I am figuring correctly, the sale price of $26380 would be $1090 below invoice. Assuming typical dealer fees and taxes, the out the door price would be about $28,000.

Can you provide your final out the door price for this van? Did the price include any accessories?
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    A couple of thoughts on leather in the Ody (I own a '03 EX-L) . . .

For the Ody, I found the leather seats to be much more comfortable than the cloth seats. Sit in both and judge for yourself. The cloth seats were very boardy compared to the leather - the 3rd row was the worst.

As far as leather and children, the main watch out is the leather getting poked with something sharp. Food/spills, etc. are actually easier to deal with than cloth seats. As far as child seats - we always put an old bath towel folded up under them to keep from making permanent impressions into the leather surface or cushions. We have had no regrets with the leather. Leather will also generally hold up and look better than cloth when you try to sell the van years later.

Good luck - $26,100 would be an awesome deal on a EXL-RES.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great information. Leather seats do sound nice. My Honda Accord cloth seats are definitely suffering with juice spills and such after 8 years. I will try and get the Oddy EX-L with RES for a good price tomorrow. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    mcbskimcbski Member Posts: 13
    Was quoted 26,322 for an EX-L with some of the usual dealer add ins i.e. mud/splash guards, wheel locks, cargo tray. No cross-bars, have to get those separate...says after their add-ons the invoice goes up to 26,7xx and at 26,322 I'd be getting it 400 less than they paid (still 200 over Honda invoice). Yawn. At any rate, it's better than anything I've seen out here and not too bad for an area with only 3 dealers. We'll see if the deal holds water tomorrow...
  • Options
    rlzmoffatrlzmoffat Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Silver 2004 EX-L RES yesterday at Gardena Honda in southern California

Price: 26,347
    Final Out the Door: 28,800

It had 6 miles on it and they threw in free wheel locks ($50 value I beleive). This one also had a cassette player. We had an offer for 28,700 from Norm Reeves in El monte but the car didn't have the cassette player and no wheel locks. We are happy. Prices may continue to soften as fall approaches but we felt inventory may become selective so we opted to buy now. We got everything we wanted! Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    lanmarklanmark Member Posts: 1
    Seems like a wide range of pricing out there for this van. Anybody in the Spokane, WA area seeing these deals? More like invoice plus $300 - $700. Maybe time to shop in S. Cal.
  • Options
    coil99coil99 Member Posts: 11
    Wow. Some great deals out there.

Anyone know of any great deals on an EXL-RES in/around Knoxville, TN?
  • Options
    All EX-L RES come with cassette player.

The EX-L doesn't have the cassette player. The one you mentioned is probably a EX-L with after-market DVD.
  • Options
    b4catsb4cats Member Posts: 5
    Bought a new silver 2004 EX-L RES yesterday at Sam Swope Honda in Louisville,KY.

Price $26,300 (includes destination fee)
    Out the door $28,300

Like previous comments I went ahead and made the purchase now while inventory selection was still plentiful. I feel selection will be limited by the end of July for my model. This forum was a GREAT resource and I wouldn't have been able to get such a great deal without it!
    Good luck everyone and contact a half dozen dealers in your area to have them compete for your business. IT WORKS!
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    If you are worried about your car seat damaging the seat fabric/leather ou can usually get rubber mats to put underneath them. I have the rubber mats under the seat in my Accord w/ leather and my Odyssey with cloth.
  • Options
    abcguy28abcguy28 Member Posts: 10
    Just received quotes for $24,868 from 2 dealers in northern CA for 2004 EX-L. Has been looking for the van but in no hurry. Debating if I should wait another 3-4 months to see if prices will drop further, or see what the 2005 prices will be. What do you all think? As always, any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    I think it really depends on wether you can gamble or not. If you don't mind paying several thousand more for the 2005 and you don't need the van now than wait to see what comes out. It will probably have more good stuff in it. I don't think the 2004 will be around in 3-4 months but maybe your area is different.
  • Options
    twinsonthewaytwinsontheway Member Posts: 3
    The out the door was $28358. The only accessories included were the mud guards.
    I can not believe how many people are now buying EX-L RES's. I lurked this group for over 2 months and found maybe two posts with pricing details. I guess the prices have finally gotten low enough.

Congratulations to everyone who has recently purchased one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, b4cats! I've followed up with them. I'll post my findings.
  • Options
    Is the $500.00 dealer incentive available in all locations? I'm interested particularly in and around Knoxville, TN.
  • Options
    I just want to let those doing their research know that I negotiated a great deal with the young internet sales rep from Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, MD. I posted a few days ago to get feedback on the price I started negotiating at another dealership and realized from other posts I still had a ways to go. Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences! I saw all those people sitting in the dealership haggling over price and was thankful my negotiating was done!

A few days ago I thought 500 over invoice was good. Little did I know I could save $1,764 over that price, and conduct all my negotiations concerning price over the phone! Other dealers told me NorthWest could not give me the car at the cost they were quoting b/c it was a "net-net" which meant the dealership was not making anything on the car and they would have costs associated w/shipping...blah...blah and they would screw me on accessories to make up their losses. They offered to add $400 to the NorthWest quote plus whatever accessories the van came with I would have to pay for.

Well, Northwest DID NOT screw me on accessories. In fact the van arrived with less than they thought and I only paid for the mudflaps. They gave me the pinstripe. I paid $150 for my mudflaps which was supposed to be the cashcow for the dealership. They did charge a $500 search fee to locate my car which will be credited back to my credit card tomorrow. If they had found the car and I rejected it b/c it was loaded w/ accessories I was not willing to pay for then they would have credited the money back right then also. So this search fee is not really a fee, just their way of feeling you out to see if you are serious I guess.

Here's how it broke down at Northwest:

EX-leather and naviagional system

MSRP: 30,980
    Invoice: 27,919
    Paid: 26,650 (includes destination & mud flaps)
                 1,332.50 5% tax
                   176.00 title & registration

OTD price: 28,158.50 This car MSRP OTD: almost $33,000

Plus they are delivering to our house when my husband goes in to sign the papers so I don't have to go back w/my young children. And no processing fees! GREAT EXPERIENCE!

My only question is regarding the extended warranty. My husband says we are buying a HOnda so we don't need the extended warranty. Anyone have any thoughts on that? The finance guy's numbers for the warranty was $1500 although I see from old posts people said the invoice cost is $860 plus $50 = $910 paid. My finance guy said this fee was not negotiable. Anyone know about that? Appreciate any feedback. Hope my experience is helpful to you all!
  • Options
    I am trying to negotiate a good price on a EX-L RES and I have three young sons and one on the way so I dread spending time in the dealership and when wy children start to have a melt down so do the people trying to shop in the dealership. I have also learned not to trust what one dealer says to me about another. No is a wonderful word if you don't like a deal then just say no! The buyer has the advantage for now on this car.

I wanted to ask you if the dealer delivers to just a short area or would come out further to montgomery county? It sounds like you got a great deal congratulations!
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I got a price quote of $27,920 (with destination fee) for EX-L with Navi plus $500 dealer incentive from Honda when delivered from dealer stock by 7/6. They are selling at dealer's invoice. And they include $299 value of trunk tray, mudguards and wheel locks. The document fee is $20. But my brother wants to wait for 2005 model.
  • Options
    jksjks Member Posts: 1
    I paid 26,570 with destination included (plus free mud flaps and 6 "free" detailings--hand wax and carpet shampoo) in Greensboro, NC.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    My out the door will be (if I want it) $27920 EX-L with Nav - $500 dealer incentive + $20 document fee = $27440 + sales tax & title & registration.
  • Options
    zeemanzeeman Member Posts: 2
    I am very encouraged by the deals people are getting on Odyssey EXL-RES's. I was wondering if anyone can share an experience/pricing with a dealer closer to New Jersey on this vehicle. I would be interested in anything in New Jersey, Eastern PA or New York. Thanks.
  • Options
    fjm11516fjm11516 Member Posts: 3
    Just finished neg a deal on an EXL. $26,600 OTD. Comes to about $25,000 before fees. Hope I got a good deal.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Clara,

Did you ever consider a baby sitter while you are trying to put a deal together?

I agree with you...small children along during a business transaction is never a good thing for all parties!
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I'm not in the market for an Odyssey or any new vehicle for that matter, but the local dealer, Pohanka Honda in Salisbury, Maryland, is advertising and selling all new '04 Odyssey's left on the lot for invoice, no haggling.

Seems pretty good for a vehicle that's still pretty hot, even a couple months away from redesign. Only disclaimer is that the price is for in stock vehicles only and not for ones they order special (it'd be a little late for '04s anyway).
  • Options
    mcbskimcbski Member Posts: 13
    ...a 2004 Silver EX-L, tonight from Honda Windward in Kaneohe, Hawaii. The details:

Price w/dest: $26,322 (w/extras)
    Docs: $174
    HI Tax (4,16%): $1103
    T, L, etc.: $182
    OTD: $27,781

Extras included: Splash guards, door protectors, wheel locks, & cargo tray.

Super nice folks. The sales lady was easy going and transparent about all costs. Although I stayed with a straight deal, the F&I guy was quick, gave good advice and made decent offers on the warranty and other items.

This isn't a great deal when compared to most Mainland deals, but I feel it's a decent deal for Hawaii. There's 3 Honda dealers here and Windward was the only one to come close to invoice.

We're happy--we got a great vehicle at a great price and the dealer/salesman made an honest living.

Also, out of curiosity I tried to get some inside dirt on the new Ody, but they don't even know what it will be like.

Good luck to all looking to purchase soon!
  • Options
    fjm11516fjm11516 Member Posts: 3
    Rosenthal Honda - Vienna, VA

Dealt with Internet Sales Group.

Midnight Blue EXL

$27,100 out the door (including an aftermarket 6 CD changer)

I also got the 5 yr 100K wrty for $1195 (List was $1995) but I have a feeling I wcould have gotten it for 1 or 2 hundred less.

If you haggle hard and stick to your guns their are good deals to be had on this vehicle.
  • Options
    Why doesn't Edmunds list the 500 dealer cash and 900 hold back cash as incentives under incentives for the odyssey?
  • Options
    abudobiabudobi Member Posts: 2
    Yes, they should be able to deliver it to you. I worked with the Red head at Northwest and he took care of everything for me
  • Options
    abudobiabudobi Member Posts: 2
    The only problem in waiting for the 2005 model is that there will be almost no discount off of MSRP. :(
  • Options
    I'm not sure if there is an official policy on delivery. If you e-mail me I can hook you up my sales man's phone number. I'd be willing to bet that if you let him know you are seriously interested in buying you can negotiate your OTD price over the phone and get an offer for delivery. I would think Northwest should be around 25,500 for an EX-L RES. I know they have several EX-L on the lot they are selling for 24,700. I'm not sure how to do the e-mail thing on here though, so post a message and I'll try to get back to you. Best of luck!
  • Options
    bayareaguybayareaguy Member Posts: 11
    I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to decide between 04 and 05 Odyssey but not needed until Spring 05 (lease return on current vehicle). Anderson Honda in Palo Alto quoted me an EXL w/DVD at invoice via there Internet Sales, so it seems most Honda dealers are motivated to move current 04 inventory at or below invoice. Honda dealers can only tell me the 05 is coming in Sep/Oct this year and pricing will be higher (no idea how much). My guess is that comparably equipped with the Toyota Sienna, pricing will be also comparable. That means potentially having to shell out $35K for the top of the line 05 Odyssey. That's approx a $5K difference from 04 to 05. I'm not real keen on paying that much more (even for a large engine, more bells and whistles, and better fuel economy). Plus the spy pictures of the new 05 Odyssey look "interesting" to me, not in a pleasing way. If, regardless of price, the 04 Odyssey has what you need and "wish for", then I'd buy it now at these good prices. Once the 05 comes, I believe pricing will be close to MSRP, even if they are back on equal competition with the Toyota Sienna. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    vvvvvv Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted a really good base price for EX Odyssey: $23210
    Then I added the following accessories:
    Mud guard: $131.00,
    Cargo Cover:  $143.08
    I asked the sales person about sercurity system and he told me it cost $595 as EX does not come with security system. (I thought he was honest)
    Total now become: 24569.08 (including destination and accessories)

I found out that security system actually come with EX model...
    Is there anything I can do if the contract is sign but the sales person sell me something that is already a standard?

Am I still getting a good deal? Anyone?

Thanks
  • Options
    pluto168pluto168 Member Posts: 44
    Which dealers gave you this quote? Does the price include destination charge? Any options? I live in south bay area, any tips on which dealers to go to and best price found? I am looking at EX-L & EX-L w/ RES. Thanks...
  • Options
    laproflaprof Member Posts: 9
    I have been quoted 24500 for an ex model(no nav, res, or leather). This does not include t,t, and L. Is this a good deal. I have an 02 Od EX with 27000 miles (mint condition). They are offering me 18,500 (below edmunds, KBB, and NADA). I have contacted several dealers and this is about all they will do for my trade. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Just curious and really none of my business but.....why the trade? You're paying $6k for essentially the same vehicle minus 27000 miles? Heck, at 27k miles, your '02 is just getting broken in good....
  • Options
    gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    I second rorr's motion.
  • Options
    bayareaguybayareaguy Member Posts: 11
    Try Anderson Honda in Palo Alto. Since I'm only casually looking right now, I did not price anywhere else. The Internet Sales Group quoted me a 04 EXL w/DVD at Invoice. Did not ask about destination charges or any other options.

Given what others are posting here, it seems you should be able to negotiate with other area dealers to get the best price.

A friend of mine bought his 03 Odyssey from Anderson Honda last year - his feedback was they were the most straightforward and other dealers were not as willing to negotiate. (That was before the 04 Toyota Sienna was available).

Good luck!